Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sturgeon blocks Trump’s reported plan to be in Scotland on Inauguration Day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    ydoethur said:

Are we quite sure Donald Trump has left the Democrats? I mean, it looks as though he's locked in a Dem hegemony for the foreseeable by making the Republicans totally toxic.

:lol: Though to be fair Stacey Abrahams has been working for years to make Georgie Democrat with massive pushes on voter registration and so on.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

eek said:

I wonder if the GOP would have won if Mitch hadn’t blocked the stimulus cheques?

Yep - after all Biden made a point of repeating it on Monday.

But I called it completely correct by the looks of it - Republicans didn't bother to vote (for which blame Trump) and the Democrats did.

It's also very close as I said it would be so - which was why I didn't bet.
    That does slightly cut both ways with Trump. He's not wrong to say Republicans do worse when he's not on the ballot. Same applied in 2018, where toddler tantrums over election fraud weren't an issue. As he says, "Ratings, dear boy, RATINGS" (or words to that effect).

He can also say "told you so" on $2000. And with some force.

I do agree that the GOP need to unhitch their wagon from the Trump train, but he does deliver in the sense Republicans do better when he's on the ballot (which clearly he can't be for all elections).
    The problem for the GOP is that they lose even when Trump is on the ballot. Just by less.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Ossoff's lead is now larger than Biden's.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

So today Kelly Loefflee, a politician who has clearly lost re-election, gets to vote to overturn another election her party clearly lost over two months ago. The US system is truly bizarre.

I think the seats are vacant from Jan 3 until the new senators are sworn in.
    No. Perdue was elected to a six year term which has now expired, so his seat is vacant. But Loeffler was appointed to serve until the vacancy is filled, so sits until Warnock is sworn in.
    Can the GOP play some games by electing McConnell the leader whilst they still have a 50-48 advantage?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm glad that swing voters voted to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.
  • Options
    Fantastic news in Georgia to wake up to.

Next step: recognise Puerto Rico as a State.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    They're starting to reacg the mildly pro Dem stuff in DeKalb

https://twitter.com/umichvoter99/status/1346727504808189952?s=19
  • Options

You know, it could also be that voters in Georgia have rather liked what they have seen and heard from Joe Biden since he won the Presidential election. The Democrats may now have a real opportunity as the GOP is likely to go to war with itself for the next few years.

Lets hope they enact some constitutional reform, because the leader of the democratic free world has been a nutcase for the last four years and has shown how a US coup could easily be engineered if one party controlled both houses.

They need a system that no longer assumes the people in the game are all 18th century gentleman farmers who actually believe in democracy.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    edited January 2021

Given the counties left to report it will be a surprise if he doesn't win from here.

Mitch McConnell has officially soiled himself at this thought.

'It's not just that you've lost the majority, Senator. It's that you've now got to face Ossoff.'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The latest polling suggests the GOP will hold the Georgia Senate seats in the run off and I agree.

Biden was not elected on the back of a Democratic landslide to sweep the US to the left, he was elected purely to beat Trump and Georgia swing voters having voted Biden to beat the incumbent President will now vote GOP to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Hence Biden will be the first incoming President not to take office with his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989. That would be about right, US voters want him to compromise with the GOP and to reduce the polarisation

Lol

Given that HYUFD is repeatedly revisionist about his predictions this is a useful reminder of how wrong he has been on almost everything to do with United States politics this past year.
    Yes. I really don't get why his seen as some sort of seer on here. His method is simply to predict a slightly more right-wing outcome than the polls suggest. Worked in 2016 when there were polling errors in favour of right-wing candidate but certainly not this year.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Gaussian said:

So today Kelly Loefflee, a politician who has clearly lost re-election, gets to vote to overturn another election her party clearly lost over two months ago. The US system is truly bizarre.

No. Perdue was elected to a six year term which has now expired, so his seat is vacant. But Loeffler was appointed to serve until the vacancy is filled, so sits until Warnock is sworn in.
    Can the GOP play some games by electing McConnell the leader whilst they still have a 50-48 advantage?
    Some quick judicial appointments maybe?
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

Some quick judicial appointments maybe?
    Trump for the Supreme Court?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    edited January 2021

You know, it could also be that voters in Georgia have rather liked what they have seen and heard from Joe Biden since he won the Presidential election. The Democrats may now have a real opportunity as the GOP is likely to go to war with itself for the next few years.

Lets hope they enact some constitutional reform, because the leader of the democratic free world has been a nutcase for the last four years and has shown how a US coup could easily be engineered if one party controlled both houses.

They need a system that no longer assumes the people in the game are all 18th century gentleman farmers who actually believe in democracy.
    Changing the constitution requires super majorities in various places. The current polarisation of American politics would block any attempt.

The significance of the Democrats taking the Senate is that McConnell can no longer block everything.

Look for a zillion appointments to be put through, complete with Republicans whining that they are only being voted for on party lines. Suck it up, losers.
  • Options

That may well be on. It is suprisingly easy to add new states to the Union - just a majority vote in the House and Senate. Probably needs 60 senate votes though.

Given the narrowness of their majorities, the Democrats need to use the next two years very wisely as it seems highly likely they will lose the House in 2022. They shouldn't waste time chasing utopian left-wing ideals that stand no chance of getting past the likes of Manchin.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

They can't change the constitution, at least not without the support of a large chunk of the Republican party.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

The latest polling suggests the GOP will hold the Georgia Senate seats in the run off and I agree.

Biden was not elected on the back of a Democratic landslide to sweep the US to the left, he was elected purely to beat Trump and Georgia swing voters having voted Biden to beat the incumbent President will now vote GOP to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Hence Biden will be the first incoming President not to take office with his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989. That would be about right, US voters want him to compromise with the GOP and to reduce the polarisation

Lol

Given that HYUFD is repeatedly revisionist about his predictions this is a useful reminder of how wrong he has been on almost everything to do with United States politics this past year.
    Yes. I really don't get why his seen as some sort of seer on here. His method is simply to predict a slightly more right-wing outcome than the polls suggest. Worked in 2016 when there were polling errors in favour of right-wing candidate but certainly not this year.
    Like all pundit predictors the trick is to memory hole his wrong predictions. That way he is always accurate.
  • Options
    Some Georgia counties to resume counting in the morning
    It may be a while before we know the final result if the Ossoff-Perdue race, as several key counties in Georgia have stopped counting votes for the night.

Telegraph.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    Wise words from Stacey Abrams here, I think progressives everywhere can take note including Labour. For those who don't follow GA politics in any detail, Abrams really is the reason the Dems now control the US Senate.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/04/stacey-abrams-explains-how-win/?outputType=amp
  • Options
    edited January 2021

That may well be on. It is suprisingly easy to add new states to the Union - just a majority vote in the House and Senate. Probably needs 60 senate votes though.

Given the narrowness of their majorities, the Democrats need to use the next two years very wisely as it seems highly likely they will lose the House in 2022. They shouldn't waste time chasing utopian left-wing ideals that stand no chance of getting past the likes of Manchin.
    Joe 'nothing will fundamentally change' Biden needs to avoid chasing Utopian ideals?

Job already done.

Edit - it's always been a simple majority of the Senate for admission to Statehood, not a supermajority. Would obviously be better not to go through on a casting vote, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Lol

I wasn't that wrong, I said it would be a narrow Biden win or a narrow Trump win in the end it was the former but with Trump still holding Ohio and Florida, the first losing candidate to do since Nixon in 1960 when many on here were predicting a Biden landslide.

In the Senate races in Georgia it still remains too close to call in the Perdue and Ossoff race even if Warnock won and I expect may go to a recount.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,258
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Lol

I've sparred with him too and he's been proved wrong on this.

But I don't like the crowing. At least he makes a testable prediction. Quite a few people (myself included sometimes) tend to say, "it all depends and could go either way". That's fine, but it isn't falsifiable... you can never really be wrong.

I criticise 538 on this basis a bit. I get what they are doing and why as a Bayesian... but it does mean they can always say, "um, actually, we said there was an 18.2 percent chance of this so technically we weren't wrong".

EDIT - I see he's now doing a 538 himself down thread. That's a shame as I think it's better to put your hands up at this stage - no disgrace in getting a call wrong as none of us is Nostradamus (and nor was Nostradamus to be fair).
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Lol

Not always true, I predicted Trudeau would be re elected for example when not every poll had that as the case.

Though anyway I could not give a toss what anyone thinks about me or my predictions on here anyway, I rarely start bets personally and I come here mainly to give my views and the conservative case, I have never pretended to be an all knowing oracle
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Looks like ScotGov policy to omit “Oxford”:

https://twitter.com/iainmackay8/status/1346588707084709890?s=21
  • Options
    I see Jon Ossoff has a MSc from the London School of Economics.
  • Options
    The senate is now Dem controlled, but it's not a left wing senate by any stretch with Manchin basically having the deciding vote on everything now
  • Options
    The presumed winners are still available at 1.01 and 1.02 (but fluctuating) on Betfair who will settle once the last votes have trickled in and the children have demolished their Easter eggs, if not sooner.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

I wasn't that wrong, I said it would be a narrow Biden win or a narrow Trump win in the end it was the former but with Trump still holding Ohio and Florida.

In the Senate races in Georgia it still remains too close to call in the Perdue and Ossoff race even if Warnock won
    "Too close to call"

• Options

F*ck me. Of all the things to get worked up over. This ranks even more pathetic than flags.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited January 2021

History suggests that, even with control of the WH, House and Senate, nothing particularly radical happens in the first couple of years of a new President’s term.

Neither Trump nor Obama achieved much for their first two years, I’d be betting on that continuing from 2021 until 2023.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Lol

His aren't the only posts that don't age well....

As I keep saying, Trump is a shoo-in.

I can't remember a more dead cert re-election except perhaps Ronald Reagan although Reagan was in more trouble than Trump at this stage.

• Options

Given McConnell's tactics in removing any remaining super majority requirements in the Senate, ramming Peurto Rica and DC through as states on a 50-50 + Harris tie breaker would be funny.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Joe 'nothing will fundamentally change' Biden needs to avoid chasing Utopian ideals?

Job already done.

Edit - it's always been a simple majority of the Senate for admission to Statehood, not a supermajority. Would obviously be better not to go through on a casting vote, though.
    For the purposes of the Dems securing two Senators and however many electoral votes for the next 50 years I think they dearly do hope it goes to a casting vote.

Would be devastating for the GOP in Florida too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The senate is now Dem controlled, but it's not a left wing senate by any stretch with Manchin basically having the deciding vote on everything now

Schumer with the gavel is massive though !
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

I see Jon Ossoff has a MSc from the London School of Economics.

Must be a great guy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Lol

I've sparred with him too and he's been proved wrong on this.

But I don't like the crowing. At least he makes a testable prediction. Quite a few people (myself included sometimes) tend to say, "it all depends and could go either way". That's fine, but it isn't falsifiable... you can never really be wrong.

I criticise 538 on this basis a bit. I get what they are doing and why as a Bayesian... but it does mean they can always say, "um, actually, we said there was an 18.2 percent chance of this so technically we weren't wrong".

EDIT - I see he's now doing a 538 himself down thread. That's a shame as I think it's better to put your hands up at this stage - no disgrace in getting a call wrong as none of us is Nostradamus (and nor was Nostradamus to be fair).
    Fair comment. I did have money on the Dems winning both of these (edit/ although not much), and on Biden winning, and on the Tories winning in 2019. But I didn't have money on Bozo becoming PM, quite the opposite (although earlier laying of JRM saved too much embarrassment). All of us win some and lose some - which is your point.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

For the purposes of the Dems securing two Senators and however many electoral votes for the next 50 years I think they dearly do hope it goes to a casting vote.

Why would it be devastating for the GOP in Florida?

And is there any indication that Dems are even considering admitting Pueto Rico as a state?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

F*ck me. Of all the things to get worked up over. This ranks even more pathetic than flags.
    You don't think branding is important? That's outrageous! Some of my best friends have given the best years of their life to branding!!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Yes, even if the Democrats do win both Georgia seats the Senate will still only be 50-50, it was a 57-41 Democratic majority when Obama took office in 2009 and the GOP had a 52-46 Senate majority when Trump took office in 2017.

The House also only has a Democratic majority of 10, compared to a GOP House majority of 47 when Trump took office in 2017 or a Democratic House majority of 79 when Obama took office in 2009, confirming again this was no Democratic wave and no Democratic landslide like 2008 but still a relatively close election in a divided nation. In the 2010 midterms the Democrats then lost the House as the GOP lost the House also in the 2018 midterms, despite bigger majorities than the Democrats have now.

Biden would do well to remember that after he takes the oath of office on 20th January and he will need to work with moderates in Congress like Manchin, Collins and Romney to get any legislation through
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Does Donald Trump have ANY positive legacy to look back on after four years, other than preventing Hillary Clinton becoming President?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

Not always true, I predicted Trudeau would be re elected for example when not every poll had that as the case.

Though anyway I could not give a toss what anyone thinks about me or my predictions on here anyway, I rarely start bets personally and I come here mainly to give my views and the conservative case, I have never pretended to be an all knowing oracle
    If you didn't care you wouldn't post on here. Indeed you would not have responded to Mr/Ms Not on Fire's post with this one. Nearly everyone, especially those who post on social media or message boards, cares what their peers (in this case fellow PB'ers) think of them.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

Rubio will vote for PR statehood I think
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Job already done.

At the very least Marco Rubio (R) is in favour PR Statehood so shouldn't require the casting vote. It's actually GOP policy to recognise PR self determination and to support statehood for them.

Mitch wouldn't allow a vote though, despite that.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

No - I understand Senate majority leader isn't a choice of the Senate as a whole like Commons Speaker. McConnell is chosen as Republican leader by fellow Republicans and Schumer by Democrats. He automatically ceases to be majority leader when Dems have 50 Senators and VP as now seems likely on 20th.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Does Donald Trump have ANY positive legacy to look back on after four years, other than preventing Hillary Clinton becoming President?

The lack of foreign wars is probably the main one. Mostly due to outsourcing foreign policy to Putin, but probably counts as a success.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, even if the Democrats do win both Georgia seats the Senate will still only be 50-50, it was a 57-41 Democratic majority when Obama took office in 2009 and the GOP had a 52-46 Senate majority when Trump took office in 2017.

The House also only has a Democratic majority of 10, compared to a GOP House majority of 47 when Trump took office in 2017 or a Democratic House majority of 79 when Obama took office in 2009, confirming again this was no Democratic wave and no Democratic landslide but still a relatively close election in a divided nation.

Biden would do well to remember that after he takes the oath of office on 20th January and he will need to work with moderates in Congress like Manchin, Collins and Romney to get any legislation through
    You're arguing with yourself as nobody is claiming this was some kind of "blue wave" or that Biden wont have to work with moderates such as Manchin, Collins, and Romney. Remember Biden is a moderate himself who's personally good friends with Mitch McConnell!

You are literally stating the obvious.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    ydoethur said:

Given the counties left to report it will be a surprise if he doesn't win from here.

Mitch McConnell has officially soiled himself at this thought.

'It's not just that you've lost the majority, Senator. It's that you've now got to face Ossoff.'
    For maximum bantz, the Democrats should elect Ossof as the new Senate Majority Leader.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

Which is why Marco Rubio would never vote against.

This oddly if it goes through could do so on a supermajority as the GOP accept the inevitable and play politics by voting Yes.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    edited January 2021
    Apropos of nothing, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Spain was recorded very early this morning in Catalonia's High Pyrenees ...
    https://twitter.com/P4Estacions/status/1346621451114323968
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The lack of foreign wars is probably the main one. Mostly due to outsourcing foreign policy to Putin, but probably counts as a success.
    North Korea seems to be fairly quiet... apart from murderous feuds inside their monarchy.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

felix said:

A commentator on CNN - a democrat - said it would be still very difficult to get the more extreme agenda of the left-wing of the Democratic party through the Senate as they would need a 60/40 majority. I think thar is a useful tool for Biden to plot a centrist course.
    An agenda so extreme, that approaches the middle of the UK Conservative party. From the right.
    That is rubbish, AOC et al are left of Starmer, they would certainly never be in Boris Johnson's Conservative Party, they are closer to Corbyn than Boris
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

There does seem to have been work going on quietly in the background to ensure several countries have a better relationship with Israel. But set against that, he ends his Presidency with Iran recommencing enriching of uranium, which ultimately may be the darkest cloud.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Job already done.

DC was originally carved out of parts of Virginia and Maryland, but the Virginia part was given back in 1846, so what remains is only the part originally donated to the Federal Government by Maryland. Always struck me as odd that Maryland doesn't get first refusal to get its bit back. Even by the standards of smaller states DC would be a very tiny state.

• Options
    Foxy said:

He did something like double the number of Drone strikes Obama did in 8 years in just 2.

And then he got rid of the requirement it report civilian casualties.
  • Options

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

And is there any indication that Dems are even considering admitting Pueto Rico as a state?
    Yes there is. It's certainly Democrat policy. I believe it's Republican policy too, although McConnell would never allow the necessary votes as majority leader, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

His aren't the only posts that don't age well....

As I keep saying, Trump is a shoo-in.

I can't remember a more dead cert re-election except perhaps Ronald Reagan although Reagan was in more trouble than Trump at this stage.

Pre-Covid though?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

A commentator on CNN - a democrat - said it would be still very difficult to get the more extreme agenda of the left-wing of the Democratic party through the Senate as they would need a 60/40 majority. I think thar is a useful tool for Biden to plot a centrist course.
    An agenda so extreme, that approaches the middle of the UK Conservative party. From the right.
    That is rubbish, AOC et al are left of Starmer, they would certainly never be in Boris Johnson's Conservative Party, they are closer to Corbyn than Boris
    AOC et al advocate for a US equivalent of the NHS and equivalent laws to UK on matters such as family leave and climate change targets - are those "extreme" positions?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

He did something like double the number of Drone strikes Obama did in 8 years in just 2.

And then he got rid of the requirement it report civilian casualties.
    Obama started US interventions in Libya and Syria, arguably necessary to prevent a Gaddaffi massacre and stop Isis but Trump started no new US military interventions abroad and also began talks with Kim Jong Un
  • Options

Apropos of nothing, the coldest temperature ever recoded in Spain was recorded very early this morning in Catalonia's High Pyrenees ...

We really really don't need that over here now as we try and roll out vaccine.
  • Options

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

Large Puerto Rican ex-pat population.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

At the very least Marco Rubio (R) is in favour PR Statehood so shouldn't require the casting vote. It's actually GOP policy to recognise PR self determination and to support statehood for them.

It's also quite possible that the Senate seats for PR would split - one Dem and one Republican. The Republican argument for being in favour is get-ahead-of-the-wave....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

You're talking rubbish. The agenda will be set by Senator Manchin not AOC.

Senator Manchin is closer to Boris.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Presumably the St Andrews version is hot broth.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

The House also only has a Democratic majority of 10, compared to a GOP House majority of 47 when Trump took office in 2017 or a Democratic House majority of 79 when Obama took office in 2009, confirming again this was no Democratic wave and no Democratic landslide but still a relatively close election in a divided nation.

You're arguing with yourself as nobody is claiming this was some kind of "blue wave" or that Biden wont have to work with moderates such as Manchin, Collins, and Romney. Remember Biden is a moderate himself who's personally good friends with Mitch McConnell!

You are literally stating the obvious.
    There were plenty on here before election day predicting Biden would win a landslide and the Democrats would win in a wave election of 2008 proportions.

I may not have been right but then neither were they either
  • Options
    Foxy said:

First step act, Op warpspeed, commercial crew, CARES, Dow 30k, Moderna vax procurement, better run elections
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

I'm glad that swing voters voted to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Or, conversely, now that we radical socialist atheists have seized power in the US, when can we expect Biden to start expropriating the rich and nationalising the oil industry? We were promised, Joe, don't let us down!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Roger said:

You don't think branding is important? That's outrageous! Some of my best friends have given the best years of their life to branding!!
    The Pfizer vaccine is branded as "Courageous" in the SwiftKey vaccine booking system.

Not sure why. Perhaps because a 12 week gap is what in Yes Minister was called a "Courageous decision".

https://youtu.be/ik8JT2S-kBE
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

Can you point to an AOC policy position that is to the left of Starmer? I admit that Starmer's policy positions are thin on the ground at the moment but you are making the assertion so must have examples.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Georgia has certainly changed. I worked in Hawaii with a PA who lived in Georgia. Her sister had married a black Englishman who she told me couldn't visit them because their neighbours wouldn't understand. So she would come to England regularly to visit them. I was quite angry with her being accepting of this so we got off to a bad start. This was 1998. It sounds unbelievable now.

Look at this electoral change, a bit hard to say GA is blue...

https://twitter.com/SidKhurana3607/status/1346723445359456258?s=19
    Most people in GA live in Atlanta and its suburbs. These maps are kind of useless
  • Options
    Israel/Sunni islamic world normalisation of relations
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

DC was originally carved out of parts of Virginia and Maryland, but the Virginia part was given back in 1846, so what remains is only the part originally donated to the Federal Government by Maryland. Always struck me as odd that Maryland doesn't get first refusal to get its bit back. Even by the standards of smaller states DC would be a very tiny state.

Maybe the GOP could strike a deal where Puerto Rico is admitted as a state as well as DC, but only if the DC suburbs of Virginia are carved into the new state of DC. That gives the GOP Virginia in exchange for the Democrats getting DC and (likely) Puerto Rico. Of course there's many obstacles to this head-in-the-clouds scenario.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

You're talking rubbish. The agenda will be set by Senator Manchin not AOC.

Senator Manchin is closer to Boris.
    Manchin may but as even Chris Christie has said Manchin could even be a Republican too

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/1346665316072517634?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Putin has had a very happy 4 or 5 years from a foreign policy perspective. He had Trump in the Whitehouse, a divisive referendum in UK leading to self harm to the UK and damage to the EU and Boris Johnson in No10. What next? The useful idiots of the SNP combined with the incompetence of Boris Johnson might deliver him the break up of the UK. He must be very pleased.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

To be fair he has put the needs/wants of the white working class rural, mid western left behinds and hill folk on the electoral map. I doubt a candidate will ignore them again in the way Hillary did last time around.

"White working class" by Joan Williams should be essential reading for any Dem who wants to run in 2024.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

felix said:

AOC et al advocate for a US equivalent of the NHS and equivalent laws to UK on matters such as family leave and climate change targets - are those "extreme" positions?
    AOC pushes the same woke, higher taxes on the rich, anti western heritage agenda of Corbynites
  • Options

Apropos of nothing, the coldest temperature ever recoded in Spain was recorded very early this morning in Catalonia's High Pyrenees ...

We really really don't need that over here now as we try and roll out vaccine.
    Set against that, another Beast from the East would keep people at home more effectively than any Government-legislated lock-down....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

If PR becomes a state, watch out for the new states of East and West Dakota...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

If you didn't care you wouldn't post on here. Indeed you would not have responded to Mr/Ms Not on Fire's post with this one. Nearly everyone, especially those who post on social media or message boards, cares what their peers (in this case fellow PB'ers) think of them.
    Yes but that is why an element of courtesy and playibg the ball rather than the man all the time makes for a more pleasant experience all round.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

No - I understand Senate majority leader isn't a choice of the Senate as a whole like Commons Speaker. McConnell is chosen as Republican leader by fellow Republicans and Schumer by Democrats. He automatically ceases to be majority leader when Dems have 50 Senators and VP as now seems likely on 20th.
    Thanks. Such a bizarre system how people can still cast meaningful votes weeks after they have clearly lost an election. There isn't much to be fond of in the UK system but I do like our "election on Thursday, losers out on Friday (2010 excepted) system"
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Job already done.

Only an insane ideologically suicidal madman unconcerned with the long-term damage they would do to their party would vote Nay of PR statehood. So that's about a third of the GOP Senate caucus as potential Nays.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

I wasn't that wrong, I said it would be a narrow Biden win or a narrow Trump win in the end it was the former but with Trump still holding Ohio and Florida.

In the Senate races in Georgia it still remains too close to call in the Perdue and Ossoff race even if Warnock won
    "Too close to call"

Currently it is Ossoff 50.1% and Perdue 49.9% with 98% in, that is recount territory on any definition.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/state/georgia/senate-runoff?iid=politics_election_ticker
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

The establishment of dimlomatic relations between Israel and several Gulf states ranks high on the list, as does a withdrawal of American forces stationed abroad.
  • Options

Given McConnell's tactics in removing any remaining super majority requirements in the Senate, ramming Peurto Rica and DC through as states on a 50-50 + Harris tie breaker would be funny.
    I don't think a Puerto Rico statehood vote would be at all close. There's nothing to be gained by opposing it on principle when you're not able to block it (no constituency who'd say "bloody well done to Senator Boggins for voting against"). McConnell simply wouldn't allow a vote as it's very likely two Democrat Senators. But if it's happening anyway, Republicans would make a virtue of necessity by supporting it.
  • Options
    Meanwhile in Brixham, leading Brexiteer fisherman realises he is "stuffed". Perhaps instead of listing all the factual reasons why his business is now stuffed he instead should read the Institute of Government report which will explain in a nice fact-free way why he is now free.
    https://twitter.com/bbcmartynoates/status/1346213229027065856
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Space Force was a worthy notion that's properly funded with clearly serious intent. I'm not sure how much of that was him though. It seems to have been more of an Electric Pence project.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Can you point to an AOC policy position that is to the left of Starmer? I admit that Starmer's policy positions are thin on the ground at the moment but you are making the assertion so must have examples.
    AOC wants a 70% top rate of income tax, Starmer does not for one

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-70-percent-tax-rich
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    This morning I seem to be liking both sides of an argument. I'm easily manipulated.
  • Options

Apropos of nothing, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Spain was recorded very early this morning in Catalonia's High Pyrenees ...

The last couple of weeks have been chilly even here on the coast - mornings just above freezibng and maximums around 15 degrees - and we have 3 days of rain coming our way - almost unheard of!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

"Too close to call"

Currently it is Ossoff 50.1% and Perdue 49.9% with 98% in

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/state/georgia/senate-runoff?iid=politics_election_ticker
    And the remaining votes are from overwhelmingly D areas. Give it up.
  • Options
    felix said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

Yes but that is why an element of courtesy and playibg the ball rather than the man all the time makes for a more pleasant experience all round.
    I think that is pertinent with respect to HYUFD as he is always courteous to others, though I rather wish he would state his predictions as opinions rather than certainties; i.e: "IMO xyz might happen" rather than "this will happen"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

No (new, showboating, futile) foreign wars?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Putin has had a very happy 4 or 5 years from a foreign policy perspective. He had Trump in the Whitehouse, a divisive referendum in UK leading to self harm to the UK and damage to the EU and Boris Johnson in No10. What next? The useful idiots of the SNP combined with the incompetence of Boris Johnson might deliver him the break up of the UK. He must be very pleased.
    Even if Boris does not go as far as Beijing is today in mass arrests of anti Beijing activists and politicians he will not allow the UK to breakup whatever happens at Holyrood later this year
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

This is a stunning victory by the Democrats as they never normally perform well in runoffs. They will have control of both houses and the Presidency. It's an amazing turnaround.

Mitch McConnell. Lolz.

If it works out the only question is what job Stacey Abrahms can get to work the same magic elsewhere.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924
    If a school is demanding admin staff come into work rather than work from home at the mo, despite no pupils attending for the foreseeable future, is that unreasonable?
  • Options
    Here is the point. The government distilled the final Brexit negotiation down to a battle for freedom - specifically the freedom to fish our waters and get rid of foreigners polluting our natural bodily fluids oceans.

The problem is that the UK doesn't exist in bizarro world where we are rule makers and not rule takers. For that to be true we would be the ones imposing rules with everyone else meekly doing what we tell them to. Apparently the WTO was to be the mechanism where we would do so.

And yet here we are. We have imposed rules so daft that there has been a collapse in cross border trade, with a growing list of companies simply unwilling or unable to comply with the cost and complexity of what we have done. In fishing we managed to not understand the difference between the EU and EFTA, thinking that an EU fishing deal gives us rights to fish in EFTA waters.

Its the omnishambles Brexit.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Freggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

"Too close to call"

Currently it is Ossoff 50.1% and Perdue 49.9% with 98% in

And the remaining votes are from overwhelmingly D areas. Give it up.
    Le Pen can still win!

EDIT: Disclaimer - I have no idea how much chance there is for this race to swing.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    See the royal mint has created a coin commerating H G Wells with a Martian on it with 4 legs. This is the important issue of the day!

I mean how? Really how did that get past QA?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

Are we quite sure Donald Trump has left the Democrats? I mean, it looks as though he's locked in a Dem hegemony for the foreseeable by making the Republicans totally toxic.

Only the judicial appointments prove otherwise
  • Options

Presumably for the same reason that "BioNTech" is omitted from "BioNTech/Pfizer" in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.