Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cyclefree’s 2020 Awards – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671

I expect we'll see a lot of this in the future: the EU making laws, which the UK then mirrors because it makes no sense (for manufacturers) not to do so:

Drone users face new rules across Europe and UK

As of 11pm tonight, we will become rule takers instead of rule makers.

More complete rubbish from you. These have been the rules in the UK for ages. The fact that the EU has decided to copy them is their affair not ours but it makes no difference to drone users here at all.

Whether people are actually following the rules is a completely different matter.
    His general point is right though.

In 10 years time it will be interesting to see how many times the UK has copied and applied EU rules to retain access to the single market and how often we have given that up to go our own way.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Bozo feeds into the persona that Boris Johnson has carefully created for himself that is so useful in deflecting accountability and responsibility. I would not play that game.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Sandpit said:

Some good news:

The recovery highlights the resilience of the UK’s digital economy, which now accounts for 10 per cent of all job openings.

Despite the impact of the pandemic, venture capital investment in UK tech firms rose to fresh highs in 2020 as Britain continues to lead the way in Europe.

Tech companies raised $15bn (£11bn) this year, a slight increase on the $14.8bn achieved in 2019 and higher than the rest of Europe combined, according to data from Dealroom.

https://www.cityam.com/uk-tech-jobs-bounce-backs-as-investment-hits-record-high/

Digital is Brexit-proof - as long as we get it right on immigration and data. It's definitely the area to be involved in.
    Indeed:

https://www.cityam.com/software-startup-ondato-moves-to-london-in-post-brexit-boost/

The crucial thing is that companies can quickly and easily fill vacancies they have, and can rely on a free flow of data between the EU and the UK. If we get both of those, there is absolutely no reason not to build digital businesses in the UK - and plenty of good reasons to actively do so.

They shouldn't have much difficulty meeting the immigration salary threshold:

Salaries in the tech industry are considerably higher than the national average at £53,318, up four per cent on 2019 figures despite low inflation.

Yep, salary should not be an issue. Speed is the challenge. Up to now, any ambitious programmer, engineer or developer from the EU could turn up in London and get work almost immediately. We can't lose that, as momentum is so important when you are building a company.

Yes, a real test of the new immigration system will be the speed of processing work visas. It needs to allow people on tourist visas or passport stamps to quickly transfer to a work visa, with a job offer meeting the immigration requirements.

As a reference, in the UAE this process takes a week or two maximium to process a visa for a worker for a specific employer or someone from abroad setting up a new business.
    Are you allowed to look for work on a tourist visa?
    You are in the UAE, and U.K. tourist visas are a lot less restrictive - most Western nationalities can enter U.K. for business meetings (interviews) without too many questions.
  • Options

I expect we'll see a lot of this in the future: the EU making laws, which the UK then mirrors because it makes no sense (for manufacturers) not to do so:

And we'll call it sovereignty.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    So its not really sending out the troops, its making use of what is left of the Army medical corps. Which makes perfect sense. All hands to the pump.

If 250 medical teams can do 750k a week surely the NHS can do 10x that number? A day's delay roughly equals 500 lives now. The apparently desultory progress on the continent is baffling.
    We urgently need to know what the *achievable* vaccine production plans look like. That is surely the limiting factor now.
  • Options

More complete rubbish from you. These have been the rules in the UK for ages. The fact that the EU has decided to copy them is their affair not ours but it makes no difference to drone users here at all.

Whether people are actually following the rules is a completely different matter.
    Funnily enough, DJI will happily sell you a 249g drone. I wonder why they decided to make it 249g?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995

In 10 years time it will be interesting to see how many times the UK has copied and applied EU rules to retain access to the single market and how often we have given that up to go our own way.
    By then, although maybe not a lot before, we'll be back in the EU.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Some good news:

The recovery highlights the resilience of the UK’s digital economy, which now accounts for 10 per cent of all job openings.

Despite the impact of the pandemic, venture capital investment in UK tech firms rose to fresh highs in 2020 as Britain continues to lead the way in Europe.

Tech companies raised $15bn (£11bn) this year, a slight increase on the $14.8bn achieved in 2019 and higher than the rest of Europe combined, according to data from Dealroom.

https://www.cityam.com/uk-tech-jobs-bounce-backs-as-investment-hits-record-high/

Digital is Brexit-proof - as long as we get it right on immigration and data. It's definitely the area to be involved in.
    Indeed:

https://www.cityam.com/software-startup-ondato-moves-to-london-in-post-brexit-boost/

The crucial thing is that companies can quickly and easily fill vacancies they have, and can rely on a free flow of data between the EU and the UK. If we get both of those, there is absolutely no reason not to build digital businesses in the UK - and plenty of good reasons to actively do so.

Salaries in the tech industry are considerably higher than the national average at £53,318, up four per cent on 2019 figures despite low inflation.

Yep, salary should not be an issue. Speed is the challenge. Up to now, any ambitious programmer, engineer or developer from the EU could turn up in London and get work almost immediately. We can't lose that, as momentum is so important when you are building a company.

Yes, a real test of the new immigration system will be the speed of processing work visas. It needs to allow people on tourist visas or passport stamps to quickly transfer to a work visa, with a job offer meeting the immigration requirements.

As a reference, in the UAE this process takes a week or two maximium to process a visa for a worker for a specific employer or someone from abroad setting up a new business.
    You are in the UAE, and U.K. tourist visas are a lot less restrictive - most Western nationalities can enter U.K. for business meetings (interviews) without too many questions.
    So really the lack of “free movement” is going to make little difference for those inbound. People can still come here, apply for jobs, and accept them. The only difference is slightly more red tape? At least for those from the EU anyway.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    So its not really sending out the troops, its making use of what is left of the Army medical corps. Which makes perfect sense. All hands to the pump.

If 250 medical teams can do 750k a week surely the NHS can do 10x that number? A day's delay roughly equals 500 lives now. The apparently desultory progress on the continent is baffling.
    We urgently need to know what the *achievable* vaccine production plans look like. That is surely the limiting factor now.
    You'd like to think so. The NHS employs over 1m people in this country. The capacity to actually get the vaccines in arms really should not be the problem.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I was astonished to read France had only vaccinated 119 people compared to 40,000 in Germany

I expect vaccination in the EU is going to become quite an abrasive issue within the individual states
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Is there any minister in any government anywhere on earth more ridiculous than manchild of destiny Gavin Williamson?

yes. BoZo
    Is there any commentator on any government anywhere on earth more ridiculous than retweeter Scott_xP?

"BoZo". You pillock....
    I struggle to understand your objection to 'Bozo'; it seems well within the bounds of normal political name-calling to me. It's short and snappy, links with Johnson's (affected) name, and conveys a clear message:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo_the_Clown

Did you similarly object to 'Jezbollah'? Do you object to Captain Hindsight?
    It's homophonically close to 'bossu' as well so it's got that going for it.

The swelling is gone and I can type again. I'm back.
    I have a hunch the average punter's going to miss that allusion.

Welcome back!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Bozo feeds into the persona that Boris Johnson has carefully created for himself that is so useful in deflecting accountability and responsibility. I would not play that game.

Fair comment
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    edited December 2020

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Some good news:

Indeed:

So really the lack of “free movement” is going to make little difference for those inbound. People can still come here, apply for jobs, and accept them. The only difference is slightly more red tape? At least for those from the EU anyway.
    Are we sure about that? Isn't it only for short-term and well paid jobs.
  • Options
    Trump has unfinished business. A republic he wants to destroy still stands. It is, for him, not goodbye but hasta la vista. Instead of waving him off, those who want to rebuild American democracy will have to put a stake through his heart.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trump-has-unfinished-business-a-republic-he-wants-to-destroy-still-stands-1.4435655
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I was astonished to read France had only vaccinated 119 people compared to 40,000 in Germany

I expect vaccination in the EU is going to become quite an abrasive issue within the individual states
    I was amazed to read that yesterday as well. I very much hope for their sakes that these are teething problems they will soon get over but I don't think any EU country has as much guaranteed supply of vaccine as we have. The government did seriously well in buying on spec.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited December 2020
    New thread
  • Options

And we'll call it sovereignty.
    No we'll call it ignorant bullshit.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

one of today's hostages to fortune:

"The NHS has a clear vaccine delivery plan and will roll it out far and wide across the UK, as quickly as we receive it; " : Hancock (Telegraph)

Is that the plan or the vaccine?
    To be fair, there is a good plan.

Scott_xP said:
    ‘Combat medics’

I bet he got an erection when he said that.
    He means technicians.

Almost all Armed Forces Personnel Medical and Nursing staff already work for the NHS because they are Territorials, or work on the military wards in NHS hospitals such as the QE in Brum.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Welcome back sir. I may not agree with much of what you post, in fact you can be bloody infuriating, but it is good to see you well enough to post again properly.

Ta. I got hit on my bike by a woman in a fucking Qashqai (the car for when you've completely given up on life) and her door mirror broke my right wrist. The sawbones tells me it'll take 8+ weeks to heal so I can't wield a spanner to fix the 75% of my Porsches that don't work.
  • Options

You are, as usual, wrong. These have not been the rules in the UK for ages. They are new rules coming into force at the end of this year. See, for example:

https://www.coptrz.com/drone-regulations/

"DRONE REGULATION GUIDE 2021

The UK drone laws are changing from December 31st 2020. We’ve gathered everything you need to know about the upcoming regulation changes and put them together in one easy-to-digest eBook. If you’re confused about the new legislation, download your free copy below."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

Some good news:

Indeed:

A data adequacy agreement from the EU is looking doubtful. Part of the problem is that the UK was barely compliant with the Data Privacy Directive when it was an EU member. You can get away with things as a member that area more difficult as a third party. Also the appetite for allowing data flows to other countries is diminishing, especially but not only in Europe. The UK published a white paper on Digital that waffled airily about opportunities outside the EU, but it didn't present any Plan B to a data adequacy agreement with the EU. It's going to be a huge issue for any body that uses data.

There is no sign of either the UK or the EU enabling easy movement of people between the two territories for work, which is your other point.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:

Is there any minister in any government anywhere on earth more ridiculous than manchild of destiny Gavin Williamson?

yes. BoZo
    Is there any commentator on any government anywhere on earth more ridiculous than retweeter Scott_xP?

"BoZo". You pillock....
    Don't you think the Bozo moniker works?

It is obviously a play on the name Johnson has 'assumed' for his public persona, and it implies a clown. I would suggest that the 'clown' character is one that Johnson has tried to hone himself. Johnson's 'clown' does not come with grease paint and a red nose, but is more subtly based on the Benny Hill, Fred Scuttle character, down to the ill fitting clothes, the 'mad' hair, the comedic delivery and even the open handed salute.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,853
    Thread:

Dem policy makers: Britain is down the pecking order; France is on the up.

https://twitter.com/politicoryan/status/1344523609822408705?s=21
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

RobD said:

So they do have 4 million doses ready, it's just they haven't been verified.

A spokesman for the Department of Health and Social Care confirmed that AstraZeneca "have bottled four million doses but have not gone through the safety checks for all the batches", adding: "The nuance is they do have four million ready to go, but without knowing the exact conditions the MHRA have set I don't think it is feasible to check four million doses in one go."

And another 15 million ready to be bottled

Mr Johnson promised that "tens of millions" of doses would be available by the end of March, and The Telegraph understands that AstraZeneca already has 15 million doses waiting to be put into vials as soon as required. That could be done in a matter of days at specialist factories in the UK and Europe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/30/britain-races-roll-covid-vaccines-bid-avoid-third-lockdown/

Matt Hancock really should have been clear with this yesterday...his statement caused a lot of confusion.

But it is good news, now juat have to hope the logistics of vaccinating 2 million people a week will come to pass.
    We want maximum vaccinating and minimum vacillating.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Some good news:

Indeed:

“Free Movement” was always about EU immigrants’ ability to get an NI number and work, rather than enter the country in the first place. There was still a paperwork process.

The new system doesn’t discriminate by nationality, only by skill level and salary from people with any passport. In theory, it now becomes much easier to hire non-EU workers in medium level skilled roles than previously, at the expense of minimum-wage unskilled EU workers under the previous scheme - a scheme that led to huge bureaucracy when hiring an American or an Indian on a £100k salary, who will be clearly a net contributor.
  • Options

Burnley takeover: ALK Capital completes deal by buying 84% controlling stake - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55495853

Sean Dyche might now be able to sign more than just his autograph...

I don't get takeovers like this. East Lancashire clubs have a catchment area consisting of their town and thats it. They can't grow any bigger.
  • Options

Thread:

So its France which will get invited to the next US war ?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The reshuffle can't come quick enough.
    Why? He'll be getting a promotion. That's how it works in this government. The worse you are the further you go.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Some good news:

Indeed:

Regardless of what politicians say, or even voters want, we need immigration, so it will continue.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

one of today's hostages to fortune:

"The NHS has a clear vaccine delivery plan and will roll it out far and wide across the UK, as quickly as we receive it; " : Hancock (Telegraph)

To be fair to him, with the military, civil service and an unlimited budget behind the rollout, as well as the likes of Tesco asking if they can also help out, a lack of vaccine supply is much more likely to be the sticking point than a lack of infrastructure and logistics.
    Danny Boyle and a whole load of volunteers would get it done. Let's hope the military, NHS and civil service can rise to the challenge.
  • Options
    Czechia new cases at the equivalent of 107k in the UK and at a 52% positivity rate:

https://onemocneni-aktualne.mzcr.cz/covid-19
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

yes. BoZo

"BoZo". You pillock....
    I struggle to understand your objection to 'Bozo'; it seems well within the bounds of normal political name-calling to me. It's short and snappy, links with Johnson's (affected) name, and conveys a clear message:

I notice that one of the local TV Bozos in the US was in Johnson City, Tennessee. Case closed.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,233
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:

yes. BoZo

"BoZo". You pillock....

I think the objection is because Alexander is a Political Colossus. It is unpatriotic to point out that he's been sacked for lying on multiple occasions and has betrayed a long string of wives and partners and thinks that Worzel Gummidge is a sharp look for a national leader. To say nothing of sticking a border down the Irish Sea having said he wouldn't and then being too stupid to understand what he signed or the catastrophic delays in the pandemic which have literally killed tens of thousands or the "I follow the science" until they announce they will ignore the science until they decide to hide behind the science again saying they have always followed the science.

The objection isn't the name calling. Its that the life of a parrot having to swallow all the shit this government comes out with is hard word and embarrassing and we should play nice.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

yes. BoZo

"BoZo". You pillock....

It's homophonically close to 'bossu' as well so it's got that going for it.

The swelling is gone and I can type again. I'm back.
    The swelling from a vaccination?

Innocent face, smiley etc
  • Options

Obviously we will; the western world will have two principal sources of regulation and standards, the US and EU, and in most fields there will be negligible utility in inventing differently shaped wheels.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,853

Thread:

Yawn.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited December 2020

You are, as usual, wrong. These have not been the rules in the UK for ages. They are new rules coming into force at the end of this year. See, for example:

https://www.coptrz.com/drone-regulations/

"DRONE REGULATION GUIDE 2021

The UK drone laws are changing from December 31st 2020. We’ve gathered everything you need to know about the upcoming regulation changes and put them together in one easy-to-digest eBook. If you’re confused about the new legislation, download your free copy below."
    Rubbish

Every single item listed in the BBC article you originally linked to has been the law for at least the last 18 months, in many cases much longer. Drone registration, minimum distance from other people, weight limits and labelling of drones for traceability along with operator registration have all been the law for ages. If you have a drone and haven't been doing that then you have been breaking the law.

Edit: indeed even looking at your latest link, nothing has actually changed except we have renamed the categories for drones. They haven't even changed the categories, just given them new names.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Some good news:

Indeed:

Regardless of what politicians say, or even voters want, we need immigration, so it will continue.
    Red wall voters are going to go absolutely apeshit. There are two key issues: migration and prosperity. There are too many foreigners and not enough jobs/opportunities/prospects. So they were told to vote for Brexit. Whichever group of Europeans they objected to - Romanians, Somalians etc - would not only stop coming but go away so that they wouldn't have to suffer any longer the indignity of people who don't look or sound like them. With fewer Syrians having left the EU there will be more jobs with better pay and a chance for their bairns to do better than them.

So what will they do when the Tories throw at them that the economy is struggling so we need them to make sacrifices like working longer hours for less whilst further migration is called for from eastern Europe to deal with staffing crises in our care homes the NHS and agriculture?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454
    edited December 2020

Thread:

Yep, works for me. Let France have all the wonderful benefits of the 'special relationship' whilst poor Britain languishes in obscurity - do you think we could get it in writing?
This discussion has been closed.