Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even after 38 court flops and two recounts punters are still ready to bet on Trump and Betfair remai

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    RobD said:

No rush....

France is aiming to launch a widespread Covid-19 vaccination campaign between April and June next year, its President Emmanuel Macron said

Launch?
    I think the UK is going to be head of the class (albeit the AZ vaccine is not as effective as some of the others), with people getting vaccinated from this week.

The US is going to be patchy, but people will start getting vaccinated next week. I suspect they'll do quite a good job getting the most at risk and the richest vaccinated. But I suspect it will take 18 months before herd immunity is genuinely reached due to a fragmented healthcare system, and conflict between State and Federal Government.

EU countries did not cover themselves in glory with their vaccine buying strategy, but I suspect distribution will be reasonably well organised when they do eventually get vaccines.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    Evening all,

Found it interesting that the 'Chinese fail to apologise for offensive tweet' headline was front and centre on the BBC News this afternoon. I don't remember the original Australian incident the tweet referred to being given such high profile coverage.

At any rate, expecting to shame the Chinese Communist Party into apologising for an offensive tweet seems naïve in the extreme!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Thought this was a contemporary photo for a minute and was wondering why Neville was talking to a bloke in a mask.

https://twitter.com/Robert___Harris/status/1333812372998385666?s=20

"I've come from the future to tell you not to sign anything.'"
    If Hitler had backed off cancelling Czechs, then war would probably have been delayed. Maybe indefinitely.

If he'd survived the financial crunch that was coming, Hitler might then have lasted a long, long time.
    Then again he wouldn't. Because he was Hitler.
    It is a bit like saying Trump could have won a second term if he hadn't insulted and offended so many people.
    At that point in his career he wasn't completely over the top power crazed. That came after he essentially rolled ten 6s in a row in 1939-40. He told his confidents that he would back off if the French and UK pushed back seriously.

They didn't, so he took the agreement. And half of Czechoslovakia.

When they reacted to him taking the other half, he was furious. Because he felt they had lied in a fashion. Pretending to be weak....
    Expansion to the east, Liebensraum, was part and parcel of all far right party platforms in Germany in the inter war period. Hitler devoted a chapter in Mein Kampf to it - as well as large parts of its unpublished 1928 sequel. Whatever happened at Munich and thereafter the invasion of Poland and then the Soviet Union was inevitable. He had long rejected even Germany’s pre WW1 borders as inadequate. War was, in essence, a manifesto commitment.
    True to a point - but Hitler was clear to his associates that if threatened with a general war he would back off. I don't actually think he was lying on this. On several occasions previously a strong stand caused him to back off other things.

The problem was that the behaviour of the Russian, UK & French governments gave him enough to convince himself that he could take just one more piece of Europe.
    It’s a counterfactual but my issue with what you are doing is your prioritising what he said in private over his public announcements and writings over some two decades. He was clearly lying in one or the other, I tend to believe the public pronouncements. The whole period of the phony war, which was essentially a period of de facto peace during a declared war, gave him ample opportunity to back off (to a greater or lesser extent) but he doubled down and invaded Western Europe, thus ensuring a general, non phony, war.
    Working out who he was lying to is hard, I agree. He seems to have had the kind of sociopathic personality that nebulas lying non-stop including to *himself*

All the accounts of those close to him was that he was shocked and upset that he was in a *general* war.
    I agree that he was genuinely shocked that France and the UK declared war. But I don’t think that happening, or being threatened, earlier would have stopped his territorial ambitions. I think that with or without war in the west, whenever the western allies chose or chose not to make a stand, he would have struck east eventually come what may.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

No rush....

France is aiming to launch a widespread Covid-19 vaccination campaign between April and June next year, its President Emmanuel Macron said

Launch?
    I think the UK is going to be head of the class (albeit the AZ vaccine is not as effective as some of the others), with people getting vaccinated from this week.

The US is going to be patchy, but people will start getting vaccinated next week. I suspect they'll do quite a good job getting the most at risk and the richest vaccinated. But I suspect it will take 18 months before herd immunity is genuinely reached due to a fragmented healthcare system, and conflict between State and Federal Government.

EU countries did not cover themselves in glory with their vaccine buying strategy, but I suspect distribution will be reasonably well organised when they do eventually get vaccines.
    The UK government has bet the farm on their vaccination purchasing.

We are lucky to have two sizes and a four with the early results.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Stop complaining.

This is free money.

Is this the Series A you were talking about ?

Or just where you parked the proceeds...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Thought this was a contemporary photo for a minute and was wondering why Neville was talking to a bloke in a mask.

If Hitler had backed off cancelling Czechs, then war would probably have been delayed. Maybe indefinitely.

If he'd survived the financial crunch that was coming, Hitler might then have lasted a long, long time.
    It is a bit like saying Trump could have won a second term if he hadn't insulted and offended so many people.
    At that point in his career he wasn't completely over the top power crazed. That came after he essentially rolled ten 6s in a row in 1939-40. He told his confidents that he would back off if the French and UK pushed back seriously.

When they reacted to him taking the other half, he was furious. Because he felt they had lied in a fashion. Pretending to be weak....
    Tooze’s book on the Nazi economy is a worthwhile read. It reveals how the way Germany was financing everything, and its economic vulnerability to the US, essentially put Hitler on a tight timetable for war, regardless of the politics.
    Completely agree: really excellent book
    The book is very good. And I think he is correct in that a major economic shock would have hit Germany absent the war. But I am not convinced that economics was such a big driver for Hitler - he thought he could command the economy....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Tooze’s book on the Nazi economy is a worthwhile read. It reveals how the way Germany was financing everything, and its economic vulnerability to the US, essentially put Hitler on a tight timetable for war, regardless of the politics.
    It's an argument. The question is whether Hitler was driven by the economic issues or not. Or whether he was a gambler who had rolled so many sixes in a row that he thought he was Fate itself.
    You could even argue that winning was less important to him than avoiding the perceived shame and betrayal of Germany's capitulation in 1918, when many Germans believed they were not losing the war. He wanted a real defeat, and that's what he got.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    How does he know it's correlation rather than causation?
    Well we do know that Leavers are more casual with personal hygiene...

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-voters-less-likely-to-change-their-underpants-every-day/
    But, we know COVID was brought to the UK by the skiers. Patient Zero was a skier.

And nothing shrieks affluent 'Remain' more than the week long skiing holiday in the Italian or Tyrolean Alps.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    guybrush said:

Evening all,

Found it interesting that the 'Chinese fail to apologise for offensive tweet' headline was front and centre on the BBC News this afternoon. I don't remember the original Australian incident the tweet referred to being given such high profile coverage.

At any rate, expecting to shame the Chinese Communist Party into apologising for an offensive tweet seems naïve in the extreme!

Given what they’re doing in Xinjiang far exceeds what the Aussies are accused of, it’s most of all rank hypocrisy.
  • Options
    £1,000 for wet pubs? Johnson hasn't a clue. They need that a week I would say.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

No rush....

Launch?

It’s been enlightening to watch the intereactions between the EU and the member states this year.

We’ve had EU countries requisitioning PPE from each other, an EU ventilator scheme that delivered no ventilators for months, and an EU vaccine scheme that has almost all its eggs in one basket sometime in 2021, with the states looking on and seeing it as an utter failure as others get the vaccines first.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

It's an argument. The question is whether Hitler was driven by the economic issues or not. Or whether he was a gambler who had rolled so many sixes in a row that he thought he was Fate itself.
    You could even argue that winning was less important to him than avoiding the perceived shame and betrayal of Germany's capitulation in 1918, when many Germans believed they were not losing the war. He wanted a real defeat, and that's what he got.
    The recent excellent 3 part documentary Berlin 1945 on BBC4 involved lots of diary entries from residents and participants. It appears that a large number of Germans believed that they were not losing the war up to very close to the end. Difficult to say how much of that was genuine belief, self-deception or the brainwashing of a totalitarian state.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    guybrush said:

Evening all,

It's worth a try.
  • Options
    Debenham's website has collapsed under the strain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Evening all :)

After a break for Thanksgiving, it seems the American election counting has resumed.

According to CBS, Biden has 80,234,372 and Trump 73,964,622 so that's a 6,270,000 lead for Biden or now officially 4% (51.1-47.1).

States still having counted fewer than 99% of votes:

Washington DC (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maryland (97%)
    New York (84%)

Just two House results remain with the current score 222-211 to the Democrats. Iowa 2 remains on a absolute knife edge with the Republican leading by 32 votes out of 394,000 counted and that represents 91% of the total vote. In New York 22, the Republican leads the incumbent Democrat by 188 votes with 316,000 counted and that represents 97% so it looks as though that will be another GOP pick up.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

In theory, the Supreme Court could argue the US Constitution requires them to declare the reanimated corpse of George Washington President. But it's all utterly in the realms of fantasy.

And what a start to 2021, the sequel to 2020, that inauguration ceremony would be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Andy_JS said:

guybrush said:

Evening all,

It's worth a try.
    No sign of an apology.

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1333781294648475651
  • Options
    Pretty brutal batting from England 80 in the last 5 overs, and just 27 needed in the final 5
  • Options

Pretty brutal batting from England 80 in the last 5 overs, and just 27 needed in the final 5

Cricket aint what it used to be...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

TOPPING said:

fpt

The government's strategy is fairly easy to understand. It is literally whack a mole. Oh how we laughed when that was used as an example but that is it.

They want to batter down the incidence and they will do this, clumsily as it turns out, by tiers, lockdowns, what-all else. When it comes down they will re-open to allow what economic activity that can exist to exist. And then they batter down again when naturally incidence rises.

So why that? Well first I think they were/are shit-scared of the virus and to start with they weren't sure what or how it would play out. What if no vaccine? Endless rises and falls. Secondly, it is the line, impossible to draw, between allowing what economic activity can take place, and avoiding the scenes we all saw in Italy six months ago when hospitals were overflowing.

However, and this is where @contrarian is a vital voice in all of this, the government has also monumentally fucked up. In communication, in redress, in targeting, and as @contrarian says, in the NHS. I have spoken with consultants who are seething at the lack of work being done in the "normal" NHS.

Where is the new capacity? Nightingale? Anything else? What about a signing on bonus of £XXXXX to nurses and doctors and related disciplines.

Plus the control. Brady is right. This is an unprecedented restriction on freedom and the country, whether because of furlough, or holding on to nurse, has acquiesced in a quite extraordinary way.

And, not least on PB.

The government's strategy is literally whack a mole? Messy, cruel and surely ineffective, no?
    That was my point.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

One day there’s going to be a 300 from a 20 over match. :open_mouth:

Very different sport these days.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

I’d love to have seen Geoff Boycott playing 20/20.
  • Options

I don't think we've had a player quite like Malan before. Just seen this stat comment on Cricinfo, "Despite Buttler playing 55 more games than Malan (74v19), and being one of England's best T20 players, Malan already has 3 scores bigger than Buttler's T20I top score (77*)"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    If the majority of people dying with Covid-19 are over 80 and have existing health conditions, we need to know about it. Desmond Swayne was right IMO in saying what he said today in the House of Commons.
  • Options

As someone who sat through most of the dire shit England's one day team served up between 1992 and 2015 this is bloody brilliant to watch for the last five years.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    guybrush said:

Evening all,

The revelations about the Australian special forces got front page coverage - and will get more in due course.
    The tweet caused such offence because if the faked up image attached to it. Would be tame stuff in (say) Trumpworld, but not expected of anyone else’s foreign minister.

I think there’s an element of displacement activity on both sides, perhaps.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

RobD said:

No rush....

Launch?
    Of course they will take all of August off from vacinating as well.

RobD said:

No rush....

Launch?
    Vaccinating will be Monday to Friday only, stopping between 1230 and 1530 for lunch, and afternoon closed on market day.
  • Options
    Cruel. Malan deserved a Century there.

He made what should have been an impossible chase look easy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Andy_JS said:

If the majority of people dying with Covid-19 are over 80 and have existing health conditions, we need to know about it. Desmond Swayne was right IMO in saying what he said today in the House of Commons.

And what if they are? That doesn’t change any of the arguments about the lockdown.
  • Options
    Oh Dawid Malan you've let yourself down.

Utter shambles.
  • Options
    Scary thing is I don't even think England are full peddle to the metal.
  • Options

I don't think we've had a player quite like Malan before. Just seen this stat comment on Cricinfo, "Despite Buttler playing 55 more games than Malan (74v19), and being one of England's best T20 players, Malan already has 3 scores bigger than Buttler's T20I top score (77*)"
    Aw, shame.. Just short of his century. Still, chasing down our biggest ever target with 14 balls to spare is pretty bloody good!
  • Options

England's best opener is being forced to bat at 4.

Just imagine how good they'd be if they weren't carrying a passenger as an opener.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

No rush....

Launch?

RobD said:

No rush....

Launch?
    Vaccinating will be Monday to Friday only, stopping between 1230 and 1530 for lunch, and afternoon closed on market day.
    And those going for a vaccine must present 10 different forms of ID / proof of address....plus a special letter from your GP that has to be signed by an independent vaccine official, which can only be done on a particular day based on your surname.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-voters-less-likely-to-change-their-underpants-every-day/
    But, we know COVID was brought to the UK by the skiers. Patient Zero was a skier.

And nothing shrieks affluent 'Remain' more than the week long skiing holiday in the Italian or Tyrolean Alps.
    I’m not a skier, but suspect affluent remainers would be in Switzerland, or the French or Austrian alps. Italy is a bit budget for skiing.
  • Options
    Phenomenal batting by England, that was a pleasure to watch.

Surprised Malan took a single there at the end to finish 99 Not Out. If I was him with 15 balls remaining I'd have been tempted to turn down the single and swing for the boundary next ball.
  • Options

Just imagine how good they'd be if they weren't carrying a passenger as an opener.
    And think of all the players not in the team...Salt, Banton, Billings, Hales....
  • Options
    Why is there cricket in winter?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    ydoethur said:

guybrush said:

Evening all,

Given what they’re doing in Xinjiang far exceeds what the Aussies are accused of, it’s most of all rank hypocrisy.
    The rank hypocrisy I get, it's not unusual to be slightly hypocritical in international relations so some being really big hypocrits is within the range you expect. It's the rather pathetic trolling type comments that appear to be getting more frequent from the Chinese government, as though their response to mildly increased rebukes from western governments is to ape North Korean stylings.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

After a break for Thanksgiving, it seems the American election counting has resumed.

According to CBS, Biden has 80,234,372 and Trump 73,964,622 so that's a 6,270,000 lead for Biden or now officially 4% (51.1-47.1).

States still having counted fewer than 99% of votes:

Washington DC (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maryland (97%)
    New York (84%)

Just two House results remain with the current score 222-211 to the Democrats. Iowa 2 remains on a absolute knife edge with the Republican leading by 32 votes out of 394,000 counted and that represents 91% of the total vote. In New York 22, the Republican leads the incumbent Democrat by 188 votes with 316,000 counted and that represents 97% so it looks as though that will be another GOP pick up.

Looking at the local news, it looks like NY-22 with uncertified final counts has been won by the GOP by just 12 votes! Looks like there will be a recount.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Nah. Nothing shrieks affluent "Remain" more than a week skiing in Courchevel.
  • Options

What’s the difference between Jason Roy’s batting form and Bigfoot?

Some people claim to have seen Bigfoot.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

And what if they are? That doesn’t change any of the arguments about the lockdown.
    Start from the presmise that lockdown shoudl never happen ever, then work backwards from there, and you'll get it.
  • Options

I don't recall seeing a number 4 this innings. 🤔
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    What I don't think is appreciated with T20 is actually the huge amount of work that goes on analyzing all the match-ups for every possible incident.

Billings was interviewed recently where he gave a bit of insight and said IPL every game you get big pack of info about every bowler, what they bowl, when, how, etc. What rate you need to go at, during what periods.... apparently it just goes on and on and on.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Rumour has it there's some cricketing nations in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Sandpit said:

SPotY's sixth contender will be named in The One Show, around 20 past 7.
    The first five named are Stuart Broad, Hollie Doyle, Lewis Hamilton, Jordan Henderson & Ronnie O'Sullivan
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/sports-personality/55043358

someone is wanting 1.7 for Tyson Fury to get in top 3. There's £40 there. now there is only one spot left in the 6-person shortlist so I'm guessing they have inside knowledge it might be him. but even then I wouldnt have him odds on to make the top 3.
    He’s a British World Champion, in a year when there haven’t been many of those. I’d back him to be nominated at 1/10.
    your 1/10 shot came in.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Which has nice symmetry with the Allied war aims - number one being to demonstrate with absolute conviction and no possibility of argument that each member of the Axis had lost completely and totally.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Andy_JS said:

guybrush said:

Evening all,

It's worth a try.
    No sign of an apology.

Trade surplus = weakness is an interesting stance for China to be taking
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The first five named are Stuart Broad, Hollie Doyle, Lewis Hamilton, Jordan Henderson & Ronnie O'Sullivan

someone is wanting 1.7 for Tyson Fury to get in top 3. There's £40 there. now there is only one spot left in the 6-person shortlist so I'm guessing they have inside knowledge it might be him. but even then I wouldnt have him odds on to make the top 3.
    He’s a British World Champion, in a year when there haven’t been many of those. I’d back him to be nominated at 1/10.
    Jonathan Rea, world superbike champion for the sixth time, and from Northern Ireland if that counts. I can't see Tao Geoghegan Hart even given the strength of the cycling lobby, but Rea would put me off 1/10 Fury to qualify (and vice versa of course).
    Tyson Fury it is. He joins Stuart Broad, Hollie Doyle, Lewis Hamilton, Jordan Henderson & Ronnie O'Sullivan
  • Options

Surprised Malan took a single there at the end to finish 99 Not Out. If I was him with 15 balls remaining I'd have been tempted to turn down the single and swing for the boundary next ball.

Credit to him that he didn't. Particularly in 20/20, the way to win consistently is to ensure every decision, however small and at whatever point, is made in the interests of the team rather than the player's own stats.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

When better to play?

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Strong move by Perdue.

Now everyone knows he did nothing wrong

https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1333802930164486149?s=19
  • Options

He's having a great moment. But he's played county cricket for over a decade with no sign of this consistent ability, so we can very confidently say it is great form and a small sample size rather than the 2nd coming of Bradman
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Nah. Nothing shrieks affluent "Remain" more than a week skiing in Courchevel.
    Leavers would be too old for skiing. They brought their covid back from wintersun on the Costas...

There probably is some correlation with the severity of the second wave, and Brexit voting as both are on the old coalfields. Less so in the Brexity South West or so.
  • Options

I’d love to have seen Geoff Boycott playing 20/20.
    It would have been like this:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21335357/clive-lloyd-dropped-geoff-boycott-1979-final
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    HYUFD said:
    plenty of docu-dramas do post warnings. i've really enjoyed Narcos and Narcos Mexico and they make clear at the start of every episode that they are creative with history. Having not lived through the events personally I suppose I don't spot when they are too creative so I can enjoy it without feeling conned. and when I'm curious enough to google the characters and events they pretty much stack up as presented.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Butler now.talking about what i just posted....about the real time analysis for T20.
  • Options

Credit to him that he didn't. Particularly in 20/20, the way to win consistently is to ensure every decision, however small and at whatever point, is made in the interests of the team rather than the player's own stats.
    I get that but with 15 balls to go? How often do you get an opportunity for a T20 International century?

99* is a decent score. 103* goes into the record books. Needing a single off 15 balls he could have taken until the end of the over and still had two overs spare.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

Well, we do know about it; the truth is out there and always has been. For instance
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/11/COVID-19-total-announced-deaths-28-November-2020.xlsx

Fractionally over 50% of victims are 80+, and of those almost all have other health conditions. This is also roughly true of pretty much all deaths caused by any kind of disease, so what is your point?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

No sane person would play cricket in the Australian summer, so that can’t be it.

Cricket should be banned outside June, July and August.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Jonathan Rea, world superbike champion for the sixth time, and from Northern Ireland if that counts. I can't see Tao Geoghegan Hart even given the strength of the cycling lobby, but Rea would put me off 1/10 Fury to qualify (and vice versa of course).
    Tyson Fury it is. He joins Stuart Broad, Hollie Doyle, Lewis Hamilton, Jordan Henderson & Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Glad they've gone for sport not politics as TSE tipped. Those are the names that deserve it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

You finding there is just too much entertainment in life atm?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Glad they've gone for sport not politics as TSE tipped. Those are the names that deserve it.
    Leaving politics aside, should be Trump over Ronny - has absolutely dominated the sport, winning more ranking tournaments in a year than anyone ever. Possibly the biggest covid victim there is as the delay cost him the world championship :wink:
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited December 2020
    "I had the momentum, Jos didn't start as quickly as he would have liked, but it ebbed and flowed in the innings. I know I have the power, it's just putting it into place at the right times to win games of cricket."

On his 99, "I knew there were five left, but I didn't know how it would go down if I turned down the single..." Interesting... Morgan's eyes are on him all the time.

Dawid He-Malan

• Options
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Oh gods, this means that idiot minister is more in tune with the public than me.

Though I suppose there's a difference between perhaps they should, versus the idea it should be required.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

No sane person would play cricket in the Australian summer, so that can’t be it.

Just as well it isn't a popular sport in sweltering countries like India and Pakistan.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    A lot of poor and dodgy decisions early on in this pandemic but the government has hit the vaccines like an England T20 cricketer. Just superb.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Oh gods, this means that idiot minister is more in tune with the public than me.

Though I suppose there's a difference between perhaps they should, versus the idea it should be required.
    Nah it's such a leading question. I could ask the same question in a different way and get 74% saying it should be left alone.

Not a lot better than a voodoo poll really.
  • Options

I get that but with 15 balls to go? How often do you get an opportunity for a T20 International century?

99* is a decent score. 103* goes into the record books. Needing a single off 15 balls he could have taken until the end of the over and still had two overs spare.
    Although I get your point, in a sense it's an even stronger statement to forego the century. You're saying to your teammates and opponents alike that, however well or badly it's going, you always play the percentages and play for the team.
  • Options
    No need to uncover the evidence, Trump is clear they arelady have bagfulls of the stuff. Amazing how others cannot seem to find it.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Obviously you're just trolling.

You're not that stupid. I don't think.

Probably similar to my comment that F1 isn't a sport. Only worse because touching cricket is as bad as disliking Bowie.

I am HUGELY looking forward to the upcoming Australia v India test series. Cannot wait.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    DavidL said:

A lot of poor and dodgy decisions early on in this pandemic but the government has hit the vaccines like an England T20 cricketer. Just superb.
    It's certainly something to commend if the roll out goes well.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

My eldest daughter thought it was completely true - so I gave her some hints and she is off reading real history now.

If you use real names etc, the "fictional" disclaimer should be in large type.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited December 2020
    Marcus Rashford not on SPOTY list.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1333860482118279168
  • Options

https://wisden.com/stories/international-cricket/morgan-criticises-malans-failure-attempt-last-ball-bye

might have something to do with it..
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Well, we do know about it; the truth is out there and always has been. For instance
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/11/COVID-19-total-announced-deaths-28-November-2020.xlsx

Fractionally over 50% of victims are 80+, and of those almost all have other health conditions. This is also roughly true of pretty much all deaths caused by any kind of disease, so what is your point?
    There was also the study that refuted the about-to-drop-dead-in-the-next-10-minutes thing - the average person killed by COVID had a number of years of life to look forward to....
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Leaving politics aside, should be Trump over Ronny - has absolutely dominated the sport, winning more ranking tournaments in a year than anyone ever. Possibly the biggest covid victim there is as the delay cost him the world championship :wink:
    Is Trump suing? It might explain why Betfair has not got round to adding Tyson Fury to its SPotY without Lewis Hamilton market. :wink:
  • Options

"I had the momentum, Jos didn't start as quickly as he would have liked, but it ebbed and flowed in the innings. I know I have the power, it's just putting it into place at the right times to win games of cricket."

On his 99, "I knew there were five left, but I didn't know how it would go down if I turned down the single..." Interesting... Morgan's eyes are on him all the time.

Dawid He-Malan

Malan and Morgan have some history.

Morgan called Malan selfish last year.

https://wisden.com/stories/international-cricket/morgan-criticises-malans-failure-attempt-last-ball-bye
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    edited December 2020

Although I get your point, in a sense it's an even stronger statement to forego the century. You're saying to your teammates and opponents alike that, however well or badly it's going, you always play the percentages and play for the team.
    Perhaps he was fearful of getting the Allan Lamb treatment and being branded a selfish mercenary.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/jan/08/features.sport21
  • Options

Dawid He-Malan

Funny we ended up with the same link!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

I think the unspoken message they try to say is: “Let’s let the oldies die because I don’t like the disruption. They’re at death’s door, anyway, aren’t they? And I don’t like this.”

If it’s not, and that’s unfair, they’re free to say what the real reason is (although please don’t do the pathetic and cowardly “I was just saying that, no reason, thought it was interesting).

Hopefully their answer won’t imply we should also abandon work on cancer (average age of death high seventies/low eighties), heart disease (similar) and the average age of death from disease full stop (age 81 average).
  • Options

Failing Bill Barr is an un-American RINO who is colluding with Doug Ducey & the late Hugo Chavez to steal the election. Sad.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Andy_JS said:

guybrush said:

Evening all,

It's worth a try.
    No sign of an apology.

It's a logical stance really - it indicates that in a trade war between the two, Australia has more to lose.
  • Options

Failing Bill Barr is an un-American RINO who is colluding with Doug Ducey & the late Hugo Chavez to steal the election. Sad.
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/1327601642880053250
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I'm not the world's biggest cricket fan, although I find it entertaining in plenty different circumstances, but I always like the Boxing Day test.

It's on here late at night when all you are really doing is recovering from eating too much on Christmas day, the weather over here is shite but over there it's bright and sunny...I always find it a good sort of background thing on a Christmas holiday period.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

My eldest daughter thought it was completely true - so I gave her some hints and she is off reading real history now.

If it was Queen Elspeth, Prince Christopher and Princess Diedre as characters, it could mirror reality (as it currently does) without needing a disclaimer
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

No rush....

Launch?

It would be rude to mention the EU vaccine scheme that it was a disaster we weren't going to be part of wouldn't it?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Dawid He-Malan

In cricket, every success is Eoin to the team.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Pearl Harbor
    U-571
    Braveheart :lol:
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    Andy_JS said:

We already do know that.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Andy_JS said:

guybrush said:

Evening all,

It's worth a try.
    No sign of an apology.

It's a logical stance really - it indicates that in a trade war between the two, Australia has more to lose.
    Maybe. Trade does not really have winners and losers like that. If all trade ended overnight, Australia would lose money but China would not get the goods (resources) it needs.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I have no idea what that case is about, but if this is an accurate tweet of the attorny in response to one of the Conservative Justices, it seems an unlikely way to get them on side
    https://twitter.com/colinkalmbacher/status/1333794228858548226
This discussion has been closed.