Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even after 38 court flops and two recounts punters are still ready to bet on Trump and Betfair remai

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    How many million doses of Pfizer do we have bought?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    IanB2 said:

I see the NYT says that the cold requirements have made us switch NHS workers back to the top of the queue, ahead of care workers?
    That was mentioned in the Sky report, too.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ten million units before Christmas, thirty million after that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    Gives a whole new meaning to ‘the Winchester re-run.’

Although a Winchester ‘97 result is probably what he’d get even if the military and the Supreme Court allowed him to do it. Not all his supporters are nutcases.
    Indeed. Though in reality it wouldn't get that far. Marshall Law invoked to protect the constitution. The election rerun would never actually happen as there is too much fraud. Too much evidence that despite everything people intend to vote for the Democrat candidate.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

The Competition & Markets Authority is taking a gander at the electric car charging sector.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-to-examine-electric-vehicle-charging-sector

I could save them some money here, after looking at a couple of Youtube car reviews. Charging at home is fine, provided you've got off-street parking. Charging at service stations and the like is a mess of incompatible plugs and badly-designed phone apps, so if you want to drive more than a hundred miles in any direction, go no greener than a hybrid. Or buy a Tesla, who have invested in nationwide fast chargers.

I should have been GQ's motoring correspondent. :wink:

Lol. My brother bought a Tesla but it’s still a hassle for longer journeys. Last Xmas he turned up in his son’s beat up second hand car, because it was easier.
    Of course.

There are tens of thousands of petrol stations, but only hundreds of fast chargers.

In three years time, those numbers will look very different.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

‘Why did it take nine hours to go 130 miles in our new electric Porsche?’

With Brexit n covid 3 years looks optimistic, and pure electric is never going to achieve the refuelling speed and ease of petrol. And people will hate it. Look how transformative the invention of the TV remote was, and electric cars introduce thousands of times the inconvenience that remotes eliminated.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

The Competition & Markets Authority is taking a gander at the electric car charging sector.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-to-examine-electric-vehicle-charging-sector

I could save them some money here, after looking at a couple of Youtube car reviews. Charging at home is fine, provided you've got off-street parking. Charging at service stations and the like is a mess of incompatible plugs and badly-designed phone apps, so if you want to drive more than a hundred miles in any direction, go no greener than a hybrid. Or buy a Tesla, who have invested in nationwide fast chargers.

Lol. My brother bought a Tesla but it’s still a hassle for longer journeys. Last Xmas he turned up in his son’s beat up second hand car, because it was easier.
    Of course.

There are tens of thousands of petrol stations, but only hundreds of fast chargers.

Don't tell me, in three years time we will have built a handful of fast chargers, but the petrol stations will have closed as nobody travels because of still-rampant Covid-22?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015

SPotY's sixth contender will be named in The One Show, around 20 past 7.
    The first five named are Stuart Broad, Hollie Doyle, Lewis Hamilton, Jordan Henderson & Ronnie O'Sullivan
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/sports-personality/55043358

Struggling this year , I have only heard of two of them and only one of them decent , Ronnie.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Media suggests we need another week before the first UK health workers will be vaccinated; the US body meets for a decision on the 10th and they are geared up to start within hours of approval.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Looks to me as if we are heading for an age cut off with Pfizer above and AZ below?
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

If we can 10m of the most vulnerable people vaccinated by Christmas our heated debates about whether we could or should relax regulations then are going to look very silly. That would be an incredible logistical achievement and an absolute game changer.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

So after Rita Ora leaving me in a state of bafflement yesterday, today it is the turn of Ellen/Elliot Page.

A film star, apparently.

He was nominated for Best Actress at the 2008 Oscars.
    A sentence I never thought I'd read.
    Weird to say the least
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

If we can 10m of the most vulnerable people vaccinated by Christmas our heated debates about whether we could or should relax regulations then are going to look very silly. That would be an incredible logistical achievement and an absolute game changer.
    Will only be five million because of the double dose needed. Still good, but just under 10% of the population (but probably those with a far greater risk than the other 90%)
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:
    "Senators - you need to step up - you have taken a position of leadership. Show some."

Brilliant.
    The Republican Party has a real problem.

Repudiate Trump and lose his voters.

But repudiate democracy and reality and you lose a different bunch.

If Biden avoids offending anyone, and Trump continues to wage war in (and on) the Republican Party, then 2022 could be a bloodbath.
    All this emanates from the fact that Trump had the opportunity to run for GOP nominee in the first place. GOP have to ensure that this can`t happen again.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

With Brexit n covid 3 years looks optimistic, and pure electric is never going to achieve the refuelling speed and ease of petrol. And people will hate it. Look how transformative the invention of the TV remote was, and electric cars introduce thousands of times the inconvenience that remotes eliminated.
    It’ll be the queues. If you get to a petrol station and there’s a queue, it’s irritating, but also rare and rarely long, and the actual act of fuelling you’re doing yourself, so it doesn’t feel like you’re waiting for anything. Having to join a queue waiting for a charging point, everyone sitting looking at the car in front while nothing appears to be happening, will be seriously annoying in today’s instant society.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Will only be five million because of the double dose needed. Still good, but just under 10% of the population (but probably those with a far greater risk than the other 90%)
    Oh is this one a double dose too? I thought that was just the Oxford vaccine.
  • Options
    A great sunrise this morning
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Moderna, too.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

In 2011, in the UK, I bought the first Tesla Roadster.

At that time, the only place you could charge was. Well. Home.

200 miles of range. So long as you didn't mind ending back where you started. Someone drove one from Lands End to John O'Groats. But that took two days.

In 2014, I was one of the first people to get a Tesla Model S.

That was a bit better. There were a few Tesla Superchargers (notably at Brent Cross). Chargepoint and a few others started added public chargepoints. Those early Superchargers allowed you to add 100 miles of range in just 20 minutes. (So long as you started at zero. And stopped at 60%. Because after 60% charging slowed.)

In 2018 I moved to the US. This year, I got a Taycan.

Three months ago, I drove 500 miles from North of San Francisco to Los Angeles. In a day. With one charging stop of about 35 minutes.

New charging points are being put in place all the time. Next year there will be twice as many as there are now. In five years it'll be 10x as many.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Do you mean because of the vaccines or is there actually a great sunrise over yonder?

Maybe both.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We were a Lync shop, which worked OK, and moved to Skype for Business, which was fine. Then we moved to Teams, which SUCKS!

Use slack and it is excellent
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Every vaccine except Johnson & Johnson (trial results expect by the end of the year) is a double dose.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

It’ll be the queues. If you get to a petrol station and there’s a queue, it’s irritating, but also rare and rarely long, and the actual act of fuelling you’re doing yourself, so it doesn’t feel like you’re waiting for anything. Having to join a queue waiting for a charging point, everyone sitting looking at the car in front while nothing appears to be happening, will be seriously annoying in today’s instant society.
    The UK has pretty poor non-Tesla electric charging infrastructure. The US is much better.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Every vaccine except Johnson & Johnson (trial results expect by the end of the year) is a double dose.
    Is the booster jab exactly the same as the first jab?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

200 miles of range. So long as you didn't mind ending back where you started. Someone drove one from Lands End to John O'Groats. But that took two days.

That was a bit better. There were a few Tesla Superchargers (notably at Brent Cross). Chargepoint and a few others started added public chargepoints. Those early Superchargers allowed you to add 100 miles of range in just 20 minutes. (So long as you started at zero. And stopped at 60%. Because after 60% charging slowed.)

Three months ago, I drove 500 miles from North of San Francisco to Los Angeles. In a day. With one charging stop of about 35 minutes.

New charging points are being put in place all the time. Next year there will be twice as many as there are now. In five years it'll be 10x as many.
    So the sensible thing to have done was wait five years...
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

It's a bit of an outlier.

"Why did it take me under two-and-a-half hours to go 130 miles in my new electric Audi? Including a top-up at my destination?"

Abingdon to Colchester to visit my Mum in January. And, to ensure I didn't have to wait on the way back, I stopped at an ultra-fast charger just outside of Colchester on the way there for a recharge back to full. The trip back was under 2 hours.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Do you mean because of the vaccines or is there actually a great sunrise over yonder?

Maybe both.
    Hopefully both, but only one visible right now
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

So the sensible thing to have done was wait five years...
    For two decades, my job was everything about new technology and investment. It would have been a lot more expensive for me not to know about Tesla.

(And a lot less fun.)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Not much chance of that though David, even with clever people who were efficient that would be near impossible given it is two jags at minimum 2 weeks apart. Going by past performance I do not see this lot of bumbling idiots being super efficient and given they will have lots of their pals cashing in who knows who will eb involved.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Depends how brave we are on relying on the logistics chain. If it's 3-4 weeks between doses, and we are very confident in the delivery schedule, we could use all the first 10 million on separate people and do the second dose with the next deliveries.

Probably wouldn't recommend that unless the delivery chain is very well established, but it's an option.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Depends how brave we are on relying on the logistics chain. If it's 3-4 weeks between doses, and we are very confident in the delivery schedule, we could use all the first 10 million on separate people and do the second dose with the next deliveries.

Probably wouldn't recommend that unless the delivery chain is very well established, but it's an option.
    Yeah, better to err on the side of caution with this one I think. Who knows what vaccine supplies France is going to commandeer.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

They are fucking idiots. Why did they leave with 45m range remaining? Also Frozen Blue Metallic is the worst colour.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

It's not just the number of chargers but the number of incompatible plugs and even phone apps needed. The industry needs to come together (or be brought together) and agree some common standards. Why do you even need an app to charge your car? You pay for petrol with cash or credit card.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Yeah, better to err on the side of caution with this one I think. Who knows what vaccine supplies France is going to commandeer.
    I suspect that dose one supplied 60% of the protection. And therefore one would be better off vaccinating 10 million people with the first dose by Xmas.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Not much chance of that though David, even with clever people who were efficient that would be near impossible given it is two jags at minimum 2 weeks apart. Going by past performance I do not see this lot of bumbling idiots being super efficient and given they will have lots of their pals cashing in who knows who will eb involved.
    More likely it will be in the hundreds of thousands but that is still an incredible achievement and will save many lives over the Christmas period. I know your reluctant to give credit to them for anything but the UK government's swift action in entering pre approval contracts with the vaccine makers will save the lives of thousands of Scots.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

It's not just the number of chargers but the number of incompatible plugs and even phone apps needed. The industry needs to come together (or be brought together) and agree some common standards. Why do you even need an app to charge your car? You pay for petrol with cash or credit card.
    Useful if they were common euro standards for travel across the channel.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So much for all that posturing wrt NI.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

That was the problem my brother had when he pitched up here with his shiny new Tesla two years back. At the time there were only two suitable public charging points on the island, but by amazing luck one of them was within walking distance. So we went down there, and spent ages fiddling with the App, which was reluctant to get the charging to start. I can't remember what the further problems were but I do know that we spent most of Boxing Day going back and forth to the car , just so he could drive 100 miles back home the next day.
  • Options
    Great news about the Vaccine.

Regarding electric cars, ran a Leaf 2014 - 2017. Charging network sucked then, is worse now. For non-Teslas the issue isn't just the lack of charging points, its the speed they run at. If you have bought any of the high price big battery shit efficiency cars like the iPace a 50kW "rapid" charger isn't remotely fast enough. Yet for so many of the charge points fitted - even the newer ones - thats as fast as you go.

If you want an EV to do any distance in your options start and stop with Tesla. They have their own bespoke brilliant charging network AND access to all of the slow "rapid" chargers that everyone else has to fight for. Unless there is a rapid convergence of operators who start installing swathes of high-power chargers all on the same simple (and affordable!) pay as you charge back office network, then EVs cannot take off the way they have to.

Its not the car technology thats the issue. Its the charging infrastructure. And like Fibre broadband I struggle to see how the market provides without state intervention.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, as Trump has taught us, making an allegation is itself proof.
    Let’s not ask about Marc Rich then
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Having been as an appalling a government as one could imagine during this crisis, if they do get the vaccine implementation right and we are indeed first, the clown does have the chance of a get out of jail card, at least as far as his own risible leadership is concerned.

Hancock saying the number of people pre-Xmas may be about 800,000, which will be the first batch due to arrive. Subsequent batches need to be tested prior to use; it's sounding like these could be after Xmas.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

One of the better "Mark Rothko" sunrises this morning - dark grey land, a thin strip of eye-popping orange, then a big slab of lighter grey sky.

All trace of the sun has now gone.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Was my mother's 90th birthday yesterday. Really hope she can get the vaccine in next few weeks

Well done to all concerned in making us the first country in the World to get going.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, as Trump has taught us, making an allegation is itself proof.
    Let’s not ask about Marc Rich then
    Wasn't Mr Rich technically (and correctly) convicted in absentia?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

They are fucking idiots. Why did they leave with 45m range remaining? Also Frozen Blue Metallic is the worst colour.
    My Taycan is Frozen Blue Metallic.

The "Frozen" is a reference to the Disney movie.

As I said to my wife "honey, you'll never have any problem finding our car in the supermarket car park"
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

The UK has pretty poor non-Tesla electric charging infrastructure. The US is much better.
    Didn't VW have to cough up for a big electric charger investment as settlement in the diesel scandal? Should have done something similar here/across EU. Or is that not as substantial as it's sometimes made to sound?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes, Boris should have admitted that there was a border in the Irish Sea.
  • Options
    Morning all!!!

Way hey. Vaccine!! Hancock sounding like a kid at xmas as he announces the details on R4.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

That's improving too (in the US at least).

There used to be four standards:

Tesla
    J1772
    CCS
    ChAdeMo

ChAdeMo is basically dead.
    And CCS is now a superset of J1772 (and cover fast DC charging)
    And Tesla

So, now there are two.

In my Taycan I carry a Tesla adaptor and a standard 110V wall connector adaptor. And that's it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    You are looking in the wrong place, if you want posturing look closer to home.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

More likely it will be in the hundreds of thousands but that is still an incredible achievement and will save many lives over the Christmas period. I know your reluctant to give credit to them for anything but the UK government's swift action in entering pre approval contracts with the vaccine makers will save the lives of thousands of Scots.
    There has to be a gap between the flu jab and the new jab. I can't recall what it was but it was possibly two weeks. Might have been longer. So if you are 80+ and for some reason haven't had a flu jab you may want to get it done today.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Approval for one of the vaccines.
    And then a massive roll out for the most vulnerable before Christmas so that they have had at least their first dose and get the second very early in the new year.
    NHS workers first I hope (and I say that a someone classed as "extremely vulnerable").
    And then teachers...

DavidL said:

And then a massive roll out for the most vulnerable before Christmas so that they have had at least their first dose and get the second very early in the new year.
    NHS workers first I hope (and I say that a someone classed as "extremely vulnerable").
    And then teachers...
    NHS are second.

(Care workers are first)
    We have been notified to expect vaccination within a week or so. The logistics of the Pfizer vaccine means that NHS are first, then primary care and social care.
    Has it been properly tested?
    Yes, it has.

I’m slightly surprised about how fast the regulators approved it but it has been a rolling submission so presumably they have reviewed most of the file ahead of time
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Not to be outdone a French medical research company - Medicine Sans Democrates Liberaux is rolling out their Covid 19 vaccine from tomorrow in Edinburgh. The Oeuf De Scotch vaccine must be taken with a substantial amount of alcohol in five weekly doses.

Declaration of Interest - Auchentennach Oeuf Sur La Compagnie Du Visage produces this product.
  • Options

Regarding electric cars, ran a Leaf 2014 - 2017. Charging network sucked then, is worse now. For non-Teslas the issue isn't just the lack of charging points, its the speed they run at. If you have bought any of the high price big battery shit efficiency cars like the iPace a 50kW "rapid" charger isn't remotely fast enough. Yet for so many of the charge points fitted - even the newer ones - thats as fast as you go.

If you want an EV to do any distance in your options start and stop with Tesla. They have their own bespoke brilliant charging network AND access to all of the slow "rapid" chargers that everyone else has to fight for. Unless there is a rapid convergence of operators who start installing swathes of high-power chargers all on the same simple (and affordable!) pay as you charge back office network, then EVs cannot take off the way they have to.

Its not the car technology thats the issue. Its the charging infrastructure. And like Fibre broadband I struggle to see how the market provides without state intervention.

Now, maybe it's because I'm in the US, but when I drove from SF to LA, I stopped once at an Electrify America station. That was a 350kW station that could (in theory) fill my car from 0 to 100% (92kWH) in about 15 minutes. The real charge time (from 15% to 100%) was probably about 30 minutes, but the car finished while I was eating pizza, so I'm not 100% sure. The last 10% takes as long as the first 75%, so who knows...

The infrastructure was crap, but it improving every day.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

There has to be a gap between the flu jab and the new jab. I can't recall what it was but it was possibly two weeks. Might have been longer. So if you are 80+ and for some reason haven't had a flu jab you may want to get it done today.
    I am only 59 but I am getting the flu jab today as is my wife so by the time its my turn there will be no problem.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

There is a whole genre of electric vehicle reporting - IGotStrandedBecauseIBehavedLikeAnIdiot

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

It would, but I think those numbers fairly unlikely.
    The first batch is 800k doses -- 400k individuals. And we just don't know how many doses we'll get before Christmas.
  • Options
    why does it take 4 weeks for our immune system to respond to the presence of the 'fake' viral material?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

As I said to my wife "honey, you'll never have any problem finding our car in the supermarket car park"
    You chose the colour of your car to chime with the children`s Disney movie "Frozen"!?

You are not covering yourself with glory there.

• Options
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

Didn't VW have to cough up for a big electric charger investment as settlement in the diesel scandal? Should have done something similar here/across EU. Or is that not as substantial as it's sometimes made to sound?
    The EU should have insisted on something similar. But it's not clear they have the power to do so.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

Most people will change the car at home or at work - how many people fill their tank up at those places ?
    There will likely be periods when the buildout of new charging points won't match new car deliveries, but it won't take long.

We already have most of the charging network in place. It's called the national grid.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Is Biden really that dumb he considers a trade deal with the UK as some sort of aid package? Rather than a eans to provide a domestic win?

Well, rejoice at that news - we won't be forced to eat Sleepy Joe's Chlorinated Chicken.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

The first batch is 800k doses -- 400k individuals. And we just don't know how many doses we'll get before Christmas.
    Sure, but if those in care homes are immunised before Christmas they can have visitors and some sort of normality. That would be such an improvement. My mother in law is 84. We are in a protective bubble with her anyway as she needs a lot of mobility help but having her for Christmas would be great if she has already had the jab.
  • Options

RobD said:

BBC News - Slack sold to business software giant for $27.7bn
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55154326

$30bn for a piece of chat software?

We back in 1999?
    Not just chat software, chat software will limited userbase...

The company, which had about 12.5 million users as of late March, has had difficulty making inroads against Microsoft Teams, a similar product that the tech giant unveiled in 2016 and now has more than 100 million users.
    Salesforce’s Chatter is hideous though, so if they can integrate Slack...

• Options

why does it take 4 weeks for our immune system to respond to the presence of the 'fake' viral material?
    This has happened at such a pace that no one really know the optimal gap, or indeed how much (if any) gap is necessary.

Two jabs has always been considered the "gold standard". One jab may confer 95% of the benefits. We simply don't know.

But we know we want normal.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Is Biden really that dumb he considers a trade deal with the UK as some sort of aid package? Rather than a eans to provide a domestic win?

Well, rejoice at that news - we won't be forced to eat Sleepy Joe's Chlorinated Chicken.
    It's an irrelevancy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

That was the problem my brother had when he pitched up here with his shiny new Tesla two years back. At the time there were only two suitable public charging points on the island, but by amazing luck one of them was within walking distance. So we went down there, and spent ages fiddling with the App, which was reluctant to get the charging to start. I can't remember what the further problems were but I do know that we spent most of Boxing Day going back and forth to the car , just so he could drive 100 miles back home the next day.
    When Mrs Foxy goes to the IoW in our e-niro, it has about 280 mile range. It is about 170 miles door to door. She plugs into a regular 13 amp plug to recharge. It is about 10 miles range per hour of charging, per hour of charging this way. Plug it in overnight, and it is fully charged.

Good news on the vaccine. NHS staff first, I believe. It should show up any further reactions before going public.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

The EU should have insisted on something similar. But it's not clear they have the power to do so.
    The problem, a while back was that the other vehicle manufacturers were absolutely adamant that they wouldn't use a Tesla compatible system. So they carefully locked themselves out of the largest fast network.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Fine. Waited this lonmg, wait till January, or indeed March. Reinforces my intention to take no risks at Christmas.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Scott_xP said:
    On the day the vaccine is approved you are as full of joy as ever
  • Options
    That noise of a volcano going off you can hear is Trump waking up to find the British are first to approve a vaccine.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

You chose the colour of your car to chime with the children`s Disney movie "Frozen"!?

You are not covering yourself with glory there.

I wanted a Taycan.

I had to make some compromises to get it.

Such is life.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647
    I'm finding it odd that there is a worry that people will become less careful because the vaccine is so close. It has the opposite effect on me. I don't want to get it now we are so close.
  • Options
    Time for compromise.

POBWAS.

(Pick your own B, that should cover everyone)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

The problem, a while back was that the other vehicle manufacturers were absolutely adamant that they wouldn't use a Tesla compatible system. So they carefully locked themselves out of the largest fast network.
    Tesla wanted a licensing fee. Other vehicle manufacturers baulked.

And so there is:

Tesla
    &
    Not Tesla

Just as with smartphones there is;

Apple*
    &
    Not Apple

* Except for the increasing number of Apple devices using USB C
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    Scott_xP said:
    Problem not so much queue position as the shutters being down at the enquiry window.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

Ours is white. My wife would not go back to an IC car after the Taycan experience. It is the best EV at the moment. Tesla's have interesting tech but shit fit and finish. They are also compromised ( compared to the Taycan) by lack of a transmission.
  • Options
    This thread has

run out of charge

• Options
    Charles said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

And then teachers...

DavidL said:

And then teachers...
    NHS are second.

(Care workers are first)
    We have been notified to expect vaccination within a week or so. The logistics of the Pfizer vaccine means that NHS are first, then primary care and social care.
    Has it been properly tested?
    Yes, it has.

I’m slightly surprised about how fast the regulators approved it but it has been a rolling submission so presumably they have reviewed most of the file ahead of time
    Couldn't have happened if we were still in the EU. The first of the Brexit sunlit uplands.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    This is true but its not an on/off switch. Some will gain a degree of immunity from the first shot, and its just that full effect takes up to 4 weeks from second dose.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

That noise of a volcano going off you can hear is Trump waking up to find the British are first to approve a vaccine.

Vaccination has been politicised in the US and Pelosi is the worst offender.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

When Mrs Foxy goes to the IoW in our e-niro, it has about 280 mile range. It is about 170 miles door to door. She plugs into a regular 13 amp plug to recharge. It is about 10 miles range per hour of charging, per hour of charging this way. Plug it in overnight, and it is fully charged.

Good news on the vaccine. NHS staff first, I believe. It should show up any further reactions before going public.
    Doesn't work for on-street parking when the car is across the street, though.

I've already heard of some NHS staff saying they don't want the vaccine straight away. As you say, they will in effect be doing the first mass side effect trial.
  • Options

The 170kW ultra-fast chargers are now rolling out. I tend to look for those first, especially as you can usually use them simply with a contactless card. Look for BP garages co-located with a McDonalds. (Or look on ZapMap, of course). Failing those, InstaVolt have a bunch of 100kW chargers, also contactless.

It was a bit poor two years ago; it's better now and getting better by the month.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    NY state dumped over 1M votes yesterday now at 95% - POTUS turnout now tops 158M and Biden 81M+ 51.3% .. Trump 74M+ 46.9% .. lead now 6.9M and will top out around 7.4M and 4.5% :

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national-popular-vote-tracker
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    On the day the vaccine is approved you are as full of joy as ever
    It's about internal American politics as much as anything, I think.

Remember the whole "I'm Irish" thing from Biden - that was playing to a powerful constituency in the Democratic party, the Irish Americans. Followed by the phone call.

This is playing to a different crowd. They believe that NAFTA was a disaster for the working class, that Bill Clinton's concentration on external trade was a disaster, and that this led to Trump. By saying he is concentrating on domestic economic issues, he is giving them some love...

I would expect, going forward, that we will see a lot of name checking various policies/groups in the Democratic Party coalition from Biden. His big thing is being a coalition builder - the guy who greets everyone in the room, and gets them to sign up to a common goal.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

This is slightly wrong - the first 800k will go into 800k people, and in two weeks those people will get another dose. We are not going to keep 400k in the fridge for two weeks.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

Doesn't work for on-street parking when the car is across the street, though.

I've already heard of some NHS staff saying they don't want the vaccine straight away. As you say, they will in effect be doing the first mass side effect trial.
    Yes, and one of the questions is how safe is it in people who have already had the virus.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course.

Tesla wanted a licensing fee. Other vehicle manufacturers baulked.

And so there is:

Tesla
    &
    Not Tesla

Just as with smartphones there is;

Apple*
    &
    Not Apple

* Except for the increasing number of Apple devices using USB C
    Tesla has the excuse that there was no fast, smart charging standard when they came along. They *had* to roll their own.

Sane would have been for the other manufacturers to admit they were late to the fast charger market. Adopt the existing standard, build out their own chargers to a common standard and go from there.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

10m doses is 5m people and it takes 6 weeks for someone to be immunised. The second dose needs to be administered 4 weeks after the first and then it's another two weeks for it to become effective. Unfortunately there's no timeline that helps us during Christmas. Also, NHS staff are being vaccinated first because logistically it makes the most sense and it has the largest immediate downwards effect on the R. I think older people in care homes will get their initial jabs in early January. That puts them in line for immunity by the middle to end of Feb.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

10m doses is 5m people and it takes 6 weeks for someone to be immunised. The second dose needs to be administered 4 weeks after the first and then it's another two weeks for it to become effective. Unfortunately there's no timeline that helps us during Christmas. Also, NHS staff are being vaccinated first because logistically it makes the most sense and it has the largest immediate downwards effect on the R. I think older people in care homes will get their initial jabs in early January. That puts them in line for immunity by the middle to end of Feb.
    Yup. This will change the game (or rather, it resolves definitively that the game is "hang on for a vaccine").

And it has, by all historical standards, happened remarkably quickly. But overhyping the rollout speed is going to lead to disappointment.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    This may be a silly question, but can't we just turn the testing centres into vaccination centres and just get on with it? It's only sticking a needle in someone and pressing - diabetics do it all the time.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    kjh said:

I'm finding it odd that there is a worry that people will become less careful because the vaccine is so close. It has the opposite effect on me. I don't want to get it now we are so close.

Suppose you see Granny every third Sunday. Other than that it's usually down the pub with your mates.

If you think that by three Sundays time Granny will have had the vaccine why wouldn't you go down the pub with your mates?
This discussion has been closed.