Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump finally agrees that the Biden transition can begin but the Betfair market remains open – polit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2020 in General
imageTrump finally agrees that the Biden transition can begin but the Betfair market remains open – politicalbetting.com

The big overnight news from Washington is that Trump has finally allowed the Joe Biden transition to begin which means that a whole series of formal steps and budgets can be authorised so that the new President is already to start when he is inaugurated on January 20th.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited November 2020
    I hope so.

Although it might be a mistake if Betfair paid out just before Black Friday and Cyber Monday, for me at least.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Second like TRUMP!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    3?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,440
    There are some decent people in the SNP. Ian Blackford is not one of them.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/snps-ian-blackford-slammed-trying-23056650

• Options
    Don't forget. In allowing the machinery to start the transition to President-Elect Biden, President Trump has definitely not conceded that he lost. Definitely not.

For the first time though from him the recognition that he might not have won...
  • Options

I hope so.

Although it might be a mistake if Betfair paid out just before Black Friday and Cyber Monday, for me at least.

Have decided on a Pixel 5. Apparently there are no deals on it as its too new. Meh, buying anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    They would have trouble finding any bright enough to block?
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.03
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.05
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.05
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.03
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.05
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.02

AZ Dem 1.03
    GA Dem 1.03
    MI Dem 1.02
    NV Dem 1.03
    PA Dem 1.03
    WI Dem 1.03

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.08
    Trump exit date 2021 1.06
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    They're very soon going to lose their cover. When Trump goes and is replaced by a civilised administration this seedy bunch are going to be left naked without a shield in sight.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    FPT.

Ladbrokes are offering me £2000 to £80 on Biden. It's there every time I log into my account. Though ridiculous its tempting to press the button.
  • Options

Positively stupid thing to tweet.
    However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.
  • Options

I understand he's a bit of a street brawler but there was no one in the last parliament better at giving Johnson and co a battering.
  • Options
    Roger said:

They're very soon going to lose their cover. When Trump goes and is replaced by a civilised administration this seedy bunch are going to be left naked without a shield in sight.
    A complete lack of shame is a wonderful political shield. Terrible for accountability or good governance, but very effective.
  • Options

They need to put more effort into running the country and less into preventing people seeing how badly they're running the country.
    The Govester has form for this sort of thing at Education:
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/feb/20/michael-gove-clash-free-schools
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/21/michael-gove-emails-freedom-information
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Roy_G_Biv said:

However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.
    Wrong, he's been living in Scotland since September, as a cursory browse through the chap's twitter account shows.

Anyone defending Blackford by saying he was right is just like a Priti Patel apologist, shame on you.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

They would have trouble finding any bright enough to block?
    We knew immediately that HMG was boycotting R4 Today and QT so it is no great surprise this extended to print media and its control of FOI is consistent with its centralisation of power.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Wrong, he's been living in Scotland since September, as a cursory browse through the chap's twitter account shows.

Anyone defending Blackford is just like a Priti Patel apologist, shame on you.
    Did you not see the first bit where I said it was positively stupid?
    Take your time, words can be hard.

Google has the chap still in Portland, which is clearly where the factual mistake came from. The other mistake, in even bothering to "call this out", was never in dispute.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Google has the chap still in Portland, which is clearly where the factual mistake came from. The other mistake, in even bothering to "call this out", was never in dispute.
    You wrote

'However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.'

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did. If you can google him, you could also check out his twitter feed.

You were wrong, factually wrong, take your time. words can be hard.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

'However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.'

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did.

Not really. I even put the "positively stupid" bit first, to make it idiot proof. But there's always a deeper kind of idiocy out there, so well done you.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    The Oxford/Azn vaccine narrative is actually managing to change. The "... got to 90% efficacy through serendipity/accident" narrative has traction because it's the sort of story that appeals and interests people - and the "90%" number then cuts through (rightly or wrongly)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited November 2020
    Cambridge University Library owns up to incompetence 20 years on...

Charles Darwin: Notepads worth millions lost for 20 years
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55044129

https://twitter.com/BantshireUni/status/1331153381285650432
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

(for me, the "... no serious illnesses in anyone vaccinated in either regime" possibly looks more important, as does the hint that it can prevent asymptomatic infection)

Yes. Get that badboy in my arm ASAP
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did.

Not really. I even put the "positively stupid" bit first, to make it idiot proof. But there's always a deeper kind of idiocy out there, so well done you.
    Says the person who also typed

We can tell you are like a jockstrap and full of bollocks, endex.
  • Options
    O/T my Laptop has died and I need to buy a new one - can anyone recommend a good site to look at? My old one was a 6 year old 17" HP i7 but I'm not tied to buying anything in particular (except not interested in a Mac, always had Windows).

Preferably want something that works for gaming. Strategy games like Paradox games primarily, almost all on my Steam account. Budget around £600, at least 15". I don't know if Chromebooks are compatible with Windows games.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did. If you can google him, you could also check out his twitter feed.

Blackford picked out this person because he is from the South of England as opposed to, say, the Central Belt of Scotland. He's an appalling person. Pompous, self-regarding and without a trace of humour. The contrast with his predecessor, Charles Kennedy, is startling.
  • Options

O/T my Laptop has died and I need to buy a new one - can anyone recommend a good site to look at? My old one was a 6 year old 17" HP i7 but I'm not tied to buying anything in particular (except not interested in a Mac, always had Windows).

Probably suicide

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

(for me, the "... no serious illnesses in anyone vaccinated in either regime" possibly looks more important, as does the hint that it can prevent asymptomatic infection)

Yes. Although the numbers are very low - only one person who was vaccinated had severe Covid illness in the Pfizer trial - it would be strange to favour the Pfizer vaccine over Moderna or Astrazeneca given that.

And I'm very reassured that they tested everyone every week to pick up asymptomatic infections in the Astrazeneca trial.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    edited November 2020

Preferably want something that works for gaming. Strategy games like Paradox games primarily, almost all on my Steam account. Budget around £600, at least 15". I don't know if Chromebooks are compatible with Windows games.

Chromebooks run Steam via Linux and not very well. However mine is *banging* when playing F1 2020 on Strava. Problem is that Windoze laptops seem to be fabulously expensive these days for something reasonably quick, and £600 isn't a lot of money once you start looking at spec.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Blackford picked out this person because he is from the South of England as opposed to, say, the Central Belt of Scotland. He's an appalling person. Pompous, self-regarding and without a trace of humour. The contrast with his predecessor, Charles Kennedy, is startling.
    As I posted the other day, the nation and especially politics, misses Charles Kennedy. I can forgive the Scottish electorate many things, but not that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I know that the Gilead Old Party is in denial, but there may be a demographic issue for them in future elections if so many of their current voters keep volunteering to patriotically get killed by Covid to prove that it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I suspect what happens in the aftermath of Thanksgiving will influence what happens at Christmas in the UK.

We should thank the Americans for taking one for the team.
  • Options

Chromebooks aren't compatible with Windows games, but it is theoretically possible to play many Steam games on a Linux computer. While I'm happy with my Linux laptop from Entroware - a UK company - I wouldn't recommend this route for playing games.

When I helped my daughter choose her laptop I made sure that we checked processor speeds on chip comparison websites. (Maybe cpubenchmark ?) Often a laptop that looks like a good deal is using a substandard CPU.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Don't trust Trump and his allies one millimetre.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

As I posted the other day, the nation and especially politics, misses Charles Kennedy. I can forgive the Scottish electorate many things, but not that.
    While we're on matters Scottish, this comment piece by Campbell Gunn on the Salmond case helps to explain why the odds on Sturgeon leaving office before the end of the year shortened recently.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2672530/campbell-gunn-scottish-government-hurting-itself-over-salmond-inquiry/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Nigelb said:
    I know that the Gilead Old Party is in denial, but there may be a demographic issue for them in future elections if so many of their current voters keep volunteering to patriotically get killed by Covid to prove that it doesn't exist.
    As has been posted by others, at least in 10 days or so we'll have an idea of what to expect if people play silly beggars over Christmas.
    Still haven't finalised our arrangements; could be just us.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    It's sort of weird that Paddypower has paid out on Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona, but not paid out on "Trump NOT to be re-elected". I have to hope that they don't so define things that he's only not been re-elected if he's made a concession speech (which I assume he never will).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Chromebooks are not compatible with Windows games, they run a different operating system based on Linux. Tight budget for a large-screen gaming PC, let me do some digging and reply back later. Laptopshop.co.uk is a good site.
  • Options
    It is now beyond ludicrous that BF have not settled this market. :angry:
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    I suspect what happens in the aftermath of Thanksgiving will influence what happens at Christmas in the UK.

Too late. People are already making plans for xmas. The horse bolted weeks ago when Johnson started on about working to "save christmas".

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Chromebooks run Steam via Linux and not very well. However mine is *banging* when playing F1 2020 on Strava. Problem is that Windoze laptops seem to be fabulously expensive these days for something reasonably quick, and £600 isn't a lot of money once you start looking at spec.
    £600 isn't even a starting point for a gaming laptop - however, it's black Friday so prices will be lower than otherwise. The downside however is that Covid clear everyone out of all laptops earlier this year so the real bargains don't exist.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-14-2-in-1-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-grey-10207991-pdt.html or https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-m431ia-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10208144-pdt.html seem OK but you really need another £200 or so.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Too late. People are already making plans for xmas. The horse bolted weeks ago when Johnson started on about working to "save christmas".

It might cause a few to rethink.
  • Options
    Got to get some work done now.
    Will leave you with this.

https://twitter.com/McCormackJohn/status/1330571987115253768
  • Options
    Again this Trumpian.

The head of the judiciary has admonished six Tory parliamentarians for seeking to influence a judge overseeing a hearing this week on whether references written in support of the former MP Charlie Elphicke can be made public.

The six wrote last week to senior judges, copying in the judge who will oversee the hearing on Wednesday, expressing concern that “matters of principle” should first be considered by senior members of the judiciary and by parliament.

But in a response from the office of the lord chief justice for England and Wales, they were told it was “improper” to seek to influence the decision of a judge who would ultimately rule on the basis of evidence and argument in court.

“It is all the more regrettable when representatives of the legislature, writing as such on House of Commons notepaper, seek to influence a judge in a private letter and do so without regard for the separation of powers or the independence of the judiciary,” said the reply from Ben Yallop, the private secretary to the lord chief justice.

“It is equally improper to suggest that senior judges should in some way intervene to influence the decision of another judge. The independence of the judges extends to being free from interference by judicial colleagues or superiors in their decision-making. Judges must be free to make their decision independently of pressure or influence from all, including legislators.”

The original letter was sent to the president of the Queen’s bench division and the senior presiding judge for England and Wales by the Tory peer David Freud and the MPs Sir Roger Gale, Adam Holloway, Bob Stewart, Theresa Villiers and Natalie Elphicke.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/nov/23/tory-mps-rebuked-over-letter-to-judge-in-charlie-elphicke-references-case
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Not Chromebooks then, your budget is a bit small for gaming laptops.
  • Options
    I see all those false positives is leading to a lot more false deaths.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1331172914956296193
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Some mistake here surely. Angus Robertson was Blackford's predecessor. Kennedy was LD leader, not SNP.
    Still, I guess they're all Scottish, so they have that in common.
  • Options
    eek said:

£600 isn't even a starting point for a gaming laptop - however, it's black Friday so prices will be lower than otherwise. The downside however is that Covid clear everyone out of all laptops earlier this year so the real bargains don't exist.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-14-2-in-1-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-grey-10207991-pdt.html or https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-m431ia-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10208144-pdt.html seem OK but you really need another £200 or so.

Actually the best you will get is always going to be via Amazon so look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/deal/a8addcaf/ref=gbps_tit___a8addcaf?moreDeals=4d14f14b,9b3354ec,e6e561fd,120ffd31,2561334e,379142a7,0c59a8b0,978c7d81,b7012d1a,c7fc6743,c71521cb,1a90aab8,435c0bb0,f9f9e4ca,0b0986d2,3e37972a,59310e9e,f6a030fd,f93a49b6&searchAlias=electronics&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE as https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-Multi-Screen-Collaboration-Fingerprint/dp/B08HR3W84V?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_a8addcaf_63&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1
    is in your price range.

Beyond that that page should make clear that you aren't going to get much for your money - my last laptop (a gaming one) was nearly £2k which is why I've moved to a desktop (but that was £1500 so doesn't actually help).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Sandpit said:

Chromebooks are not compatible with Windows games, they run a different operating system based on Linux. Tight budget for a large-screen gaming PC, let me do some digging and reply back later. Laptopshop.co.uk is a good site.
    A friend who is retired and seriously into games uses a Chromebook, which works for many of the lighter games like Through the Ages, but he's a Paradox fan too (as am I) and has finally conceded that he needs to get a PC - he favours a desktop to avoid the laptop problem for gamers that the non-detachable keyboard becvomes unreadable through massive use. £600 does look a challenge, though. My solution was to go for top of the range back in 2015 - the £1800 laptop that I got then still handles every new game without trouble, with a large screen. I have a separate keyboard plugged in, which is a waste of space, but not the end of the world.

pcspecialist.co.uk (who assemble the system for you) are another good option to focus on the aspects of your system that matter to you - e.g. if you mainly play strategy games, as I do, rather than shooters, then you don't need very high performance, though you do need lots of memory.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Some mistake here surely. Angus Robertson was Blackford's predecessor. Kennedy was LD leader, not SNP.
    I think he means predecessor in the constituency Ross, Skye, and Lochaber.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    The Dems would be delighted if Trump runs again in 2024 .

The message would be do you want to go back to the chaos and division of those 4 years.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Actually the best you will get is always going to be via Amazon so look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/deal/a8addcaf/ref=gbps_tit___a8addcaf?moreDeals=4d14f14b,9b3354ec,e6e561fd,120ffd31,2561334e,379142a7,0c59a8b0,978c7d81,b7012d1a,c7fc6743,c71521cb,1a90aab8,435c0bb0,f9f9e4ca,0b0986d2,3e37972a,59310e9e,f6a030fd,f93a49b6&searchAlias=electronics&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE as https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-Multi-Screen-Collaboration-Fingerprint/dp/B08HR3W84V?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_a8addcaf_63&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1
    is in your price range.

Beyond that that page should make clear that you aren't going to get much for your money - my last laptop (a gaming one) was nearly £2k which is why I've moved to a desktop (but that was £1500 so doesn't actually help).
    Yes, I've just bought a new desktop. Together with a very good monitor and replacement keyboard and mouse it came to £2k. It was clear from the supplier that they had lots of orders and lead times were longer than usual. So I doubt there will be the same bargains for BF this year; they dont need to shift stock.

The guy up the road has just bought a cockapoo puppy for £2k, which is absurd, but puppies are another market booming currently.

The time to look for bargains (and, sadly, probably a lot of abandoned dogs) will be when we are all vaccinated.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    edited November 2020

£600 is not enough for bleeding edge so you could look at refurbished corporate-type laptops from Dell or Lenovo (Thinkpads). Companies refresh laptops on a schedule whereas private users run their machines into the ground, as you have done. I've got two old-ish ex-corporate laptops although my year-old desktop was bought new.

Or treble your budget and buy a new Dell XPS.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Firstly, an absolute statement about Blackford's stupid tweet.
    Second, a couched statement about maybe him being factually right.

That fact that I thought it was a stupid thing to tweet even if it was factually right cannot be taken in any way as defending him.
    I'm happy to take your word that it was factually wrong, but your accusation that this was a defence of Blackford are frankly risible. The very first thing I typed was absolutely clear and put there to avoid exactly the kind stupidity you just demonstrated.
    You could have just said "no, it's factually wrong: [evidence]" and you'd have seen me quite clearly accept it. But no, you had to come steaming in pretend I was saying the exact opposite of what I actually said.

What annoys me most (well, apart from your expansive feeblemindedness), is that I really think Blackford is a moron of the highest order. The idea of being cast as some kind of spirited defender of him is galling, and precisely why I took care to make sure that would not be an interpretation left available.

You saw what you wanted to see. And you saw it wrong.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

I think it is this being referred to:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snps-ian-blackford-accused-disfiguring-last-months-charles-kennedys-life-1427336
  • Options
    edited November 2020

If you want a gaming laptop, I'd recommend both Cyberpowersystems and Chillblast. Happy customer of both (not for laptops, tho).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

Yes, of the cohort who had the vaccine NONE ended up in hospital AIUI –– to my mind, as to yours, that's a pretty big deal!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

I think he means predecessor in the constituency Ross, Skye, and Lochaber.
    Ah, apologies, my ignorance.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

The Lib Dems paid the price for going into coalition with the Tories. I don't think you can blame the Scottish electorate for having a view on that decision. Also Kennedy died shortly after the election so even if they had re-elected him his political career was probably close to over anyway, sadly. A great guy but a victim of his demons.
  • Options

£600 is not enough for bleeding edge so you could look at refurbished corporate-type laptops from Dell or Lenovo (Thinkpads). Companies refresh laptops on a schedule whereas private users run their machines into the ground, as you have done. I've got two old-ish ex-corporate laptops although my year-old desktop was bought new.

Or treble your budget and buy a new Dell XPS.
    Won't be able to play games on corporate laptops. Maybe the company scheme? We're allowed to buy one personal device per year through our intranet which has got phones/laptops/tablets available. About 20-30% off retail for us.
  • Options

Yes, of the cohort who had the vaccine NONE ended up in hospital AIUI –– to my mind, as to yours, that's a pretty big deal!
    It is, but the numbers are low and most of the trial subjects were without major co morbidities.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Christmas is ON! Do keep up...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

eek said:

is in your price range.

Yes, I've just bought a new desktop. Together with a very good monitor and replacement keyboard and mouse it came to £2k. It was clear from the supplier that they had lots of orders and lead times were longer than usual. So I doubt there will be the same bargains for BF this year; they dont need to shift stock.

The guy up the road has just bought a cockapoo puppy for £2k, which is absurd, but puppies are another market booming currently.

The time to look for bargains (and, sadly, probably a lot of abandoned dogs) will be when we are all vaccinated.
    Also anything new isn't available as demand way outstrips supply. Nvidia's new graphics cards should be £700 or so but everyone is profiting so they appear in shops at £800 sell out in seconds and then appear on ebay at £1000+ and then sell in hours.
  • Options
    FPT
    OnboardG1 said:

Let’s ignore haulage cost, logistics hubs, population density, primary markets and 30 years of economic coupling and focus of population. Gee I’m sure the Americans are queuing to buy Branston. The real world, do you live in it?

Branston is a Japanese owned brand, bought by Mizkan 8 years ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

The Oxford/Azn vaccine narrative is actually managing to change. The "... got to 90% efficacy through serendipity/accident" narrative has traction because it's the sort of story that appeals and interests people - and the "90%" number then cuts through (rightly or wrongly)

Yet ironically as the story gets dug deeper into, it's possible that the different dose subgroup, which wasn't randomised or stratified, might be largely chance variation (or indeed contain definite bias, arising from how the error was made in the first place), in which case the correct figure would be the 70% where we started.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Firstly, an absolute statement about Blackford's stupid tweet.
    Second, a couched statement about maybe him being factually right.

That fact that I thought it was a stupid thing to tweet even if it was factually right cannot be taken in any way as defending him.
    I'm happy to take your word that it was factually wrong, but your accusation that this was a defence of Blackford are frankly risible. The very first thing I typed was absolutely clear and put there to avoid exactly the kind stupidity you just demonstrated.
    You could have just said "no, it's factually wrong: [evidence]" and you'd have seen me quite clearly accept it. But no, you had to come steaming in pretend I was saying the exact opposite of what I actually said.

What annoys me most (well, apart from your expansive feeblemindedness), is that I really think Blackford is a moron of the highest order. The idea of being cast as some kind of spirited defender of him is galling, and precisely why I took care to make sure that would not be an interpretation left available.

You saw what you wanted to see. And you saw it wrong.
    So you retract your comment that 'However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.'?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A friend who is retired and seriously into games uses a Chromebook, which works for many of the lighter games like Through the Ages, but he's a Paradox fan too (as am I) and has finally conceded that he needs to get a PC - he favours a desktop to avoid the laptop problem for gamers that the non-detachable keyboard becvomes unreadable through massive use. £600 does look a challenge, though. My solution was to go for top of the range back in 2015 - the £1800 laptop that I got then still handles every new game without trouble, with a large screen. I have a separate keyboard plugged in, which is a waste of space, but not the end of the world.

pcspecialist.co.uk (who assemble the system for you) are another good option to focus on the aspects of your system that matter to you - e.g. if you mainly play strategy games, as I do, rather than shooters, then you don't need very high performance, though you do need lots of memory.
    I love Chrome OS and my Acer Spin 713 Chromebook is a great business tool - at least for me. Because I am fully integrated into the Google environment - GSuite instead of Office etc - it just works. With a spec that blows away anything comparable running Windows at the £700 price tier. With guaranteed OS upgrades through most of this decade I don't need to worry about it becoming obsolete either.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It's surprising the stuff that gets filched from university collections. Do academic researchers have a particular kleptomaniacal bent?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    As an SNP member since 1974, I find Blackford embarrassing and cringeworthy. No idea why he was chosen as Westminster leader.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Foxy said:

It is, but the numbers are low and most of the trial subjects were without major co morbidities.
    But a number from the non-COVID-vaccine cohort did end up in hospital, I believe?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    If we are discussing IT kit, may I please also inquire, can someone please recommend an ink tank printer from direct experience? It has to have automatic double sided printing and very good text and office graphics printing (Ms Carnyx does lots of stats graphs and diagrams in her work) as well as being decent at scanning and colour copying. I'm fed up of having a HP cartridge printer which won't run third party cartridges.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Way colder than BBC weather implies, and a few days ago it was the other way around. Humbug.

Mr. Dawning, kleptomania's origin is rooted in unnecessary theft. When the first department stores opened in Paris (I think) a century or two ago they noticed a weird phenomenon. Middle class housewives were stealing things they could afford to buy. Obviously this wasn't theft, as that's a poor person thing, so the notion of kleptomania was invented to explain away with the magic of psychology people stealing stuff whilst also being middle class.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    Does Mrs Carnyx work for Vallance or Whitty?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

If we are discussing IT kit, may I please also inquire, can someone please recommend an ink tank printer from direct experience? It has to have automatic double sided printing and very good text and office graphics printing (Ms Carnyx does lots of stats graphs and diagrams in her work) as well as being decent at scanning and colour copying. I'm fed up of having a HP cartridge printer which won't run third party cartridges.

Consider a laser printer instead?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I've had a black-and-white Epson one for a couple of years in my office, just got a colour one for the house and it seems really good.

I haven't tried the double-sided ones but it seems like they have them:
    https://epson.com/ecotank-ink-tank-printers
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It's surprising the stuff that gets filched from university collections. Do academic researchers have a particular kleptomaniacal bent?
    Surely this theft isn't at all surprising as they are worth a fortune? For lower value items, I suspect a large element of both misfiling (items that are lost in the system rather than stolen) and absent-minded putting in bags, as well as some theft.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You think we use things like evidence to make our decisions? Bless, so last century, its all emotions and press headlines now.
  • Options

Foxy said:

But a number from the non-COVID-vaccine cohort did end up in hospital, I believe?
    I am not sure. I am as keen to get vaccinated as anyone*, but seeing the full trials peer reviewed and published will be interesting.

*I seem to have dodged it so far despite sharing a house with covid positive Mrs Foxy for 8 days. 🤞
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    So, the official Transition begins. Yet STILL the band (betfair) plays on. I suppose it would be a shame to stop just short of a billion pounds traded. When will they finally settle? Perhaps on 14 Dec when the EC meets. Or on 20 Jan after the inauguration. Or perhaps not until there are verified photographs of President Joe Biden sat in the Oval Office signing an Executive Order and wearing an "I am POTUS 46" tee shirt. Whatever. I can wait.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Consider a laser printer instead?
    I wouldn't go back to an inkjet. My second laser printer is a Samsung and still very good after several toner changes - mine isn't doubled sided though
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You think we use things like evidence to make our decisions? Bless, so last century, its all emotions and press headlines now.
    Many US hospitals in some areas are already at breaking point. The consequences of Thanksgiving could exceed the first wave extremes.

That will create an emotional response to Press headlines.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

A friend who worked on BA says Kennedy was always charming, if not entirely sober, while Blackford is a pompous obnoxious c*nt who wears his breakfast on his ample waistcoat.

I see he's also trending on Twitter, and not in a good way.....
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    edited November 2020

And we know that's not the case in the placebo cohort. Tragically, at least one died (the young Brazilian doctor).
  • Options

kinabalu said:

So, the official Transition begins. Yet STILL the band (betfair) plays on. I suppose it would be a shame to stop just short of a billion pounds traded. When will they finally settle? Perhaps on 14 Dec when the EC meets. Or on 20 Jan after the inauguration. Or perhaps not until there are verified photographs of President Joe Biden sat in the Oval Office signing an Executive Order and wearing an "I am POTUS 46" tee shirt. Whatever. I can wait.

You can wait but some PBers need to buy new laptops and *laser* printers. Otoh @Roger is topping up his pension fund with Shadsy so it's swings and roundabouts. Hmm, that's an idea. How much would someone need at 1.05 to buy a cutting-edge laptop?
    A Jaguar I-Pace?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Nigelb said:

Shows the importance of getting a proper filetracking system at Cambridge
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited November 2020

Yep, that's massive. If the vaccine renders you either immune to infection or at worst to serious illness due to infection, it is to my mind that thing which linguistically nothing ever is - a silver bullet.

But I'm interested in the placebo control group. The fact that nobody in the vaccinated group got seriously sick does not in itself prove the point. The case is only made if the control group who were not vaccinated saw a significant amount of bad Covid necessitating hospitalization. So did they? I assume so but I have not seen this data reported.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    So with even Trump effectively enabling the Biden transition and with the Democrats having won enough seats to retain the House all that remains is the Georgia Senate seats run off in January to see if the GOP can stop a Democratic clean sweep of all 3 branches of the US Federal Government
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

From today’s Times

“Emma McClarkin, of the British Beer and Pub Association, said that the new measures “unfairly” targeted pubs and would eradicate the viability of at least 90 per cent in Tiers 2 and 3. “If these tighter tier restrictions are forced upon us, far more government financial support will be needed to avoid the resulting carnage.”

The Institute of Economic Affairs, the think tank, said that there was “no scientific basis” for insisting that drinks should be served with food. Christopher Snowdon, its head of lifestyle economics, said that Tier 2 restrictions were “a death sentence for countless pubs and restaurants”.

Yep - sheer malice from the government.

The deliberate destruction of 90% of a sector.

No polite words to describe what I think of this government.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

I think it is this being referred to:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snps-ian-blackford-accused-disfiguring-last-months-charles-kennedys-life-1427336
    SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford has been accused of 'an odious attempt to re-write history' by playing down claims that he led a vendetta against the late Charles Kennedy.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I wondered about this. Does it mean that with the vaccine even if you are unlucky enough to succumb to the disease it will give you sufficient protection to prevent you from becoming seriously ill?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

“Emma McClarkin, of the British Beer and Pub Association, said that the new measures “unfairly” targeted pubs and would eradicate the viability of at least 90 per cent in Tiers 2 and 3. “If these tighter tier restrictions are forced upon us, far more government financial support will be needed to avoid the resulting carnage.”

The Institute of Economic Affairs, the think tank, said that there was “no scientific basis” for insisting that drinks should be served with food. Christopher Snowdon, its head of lifestyle economics, said that Tier 2 restrictions were “a death sentence for countless pubs and restaurants”.

Yep - sheer malice from the government.

The deliberate destruction of 90% of a sector.

No polite words to describe what I think of this government.

Don't worry. HYUFD will be along in a bit to patronise you. If people are allowed to sit into a room to eat and drink then why aren't they allowed into a room to drink? I assume that distancing will be maintained anyway - allocated tables, wear a mask when moving about. What is the difference?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

HUGE. If you get coronavirus with the vaccine, your immune system has a huge head start. It knows what it's up against and how to fight it. It's like choosing a champion in a trial by combat :)
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

@OldKingCole - I do not think it was the Scottish electorates fault. It was more likely the Scotch Whisky industry's fault...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Double sided colour laser printers aren't cheap, what's your budget?
This discussion has been closed.