Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump finally agrees that the Biden transition can begin but the Betfair market remains open – polit

Comments

• Options
    Since the courts have ruled that Saccoolas did indeed have diplomatic immunity I hope the poor Dunn family can now find some form of peace and move on. It is horrific, tragic what happened to Harry but nothing can be done about diplomatic immunity.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    felix said:

(for me, the "... no serious illnesses in anyone vaccinated in either regime" possibly looks more important, as does the hint that it can prevent asymptomatic infection)

Yes, of the cohort who had the vaccine NONE ended up in hospital AIUI –– to my mind, as to yours, that's a pretty big deal!
    I wondered about this. Does it mean that with the vaccine even if you are unlucky enough to succumb to the disease it will give you sufficient protection to prevent you from becoming seriously ill?
    That is my understanding of it, yes.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

If we are discussing IT kit, may I please also inquire, can someone please recommend an ink tank printer from direct experience? It has to have automatic double sided printing and very good text and office graphics printing (Ms Carnyx does lots of stats graphs and diagrams in her work) as well as being decent at scanning and colour copying. I'm fed up of having a HP cartridge printer which won't run third party cartridges.

Consider a laser printer instead?
    Thanks to scanning apps and screenshots I've almost eliminated the need to print anthing on paper completely. E-mail and Whatsapp may not be perfect but they're a lot quicker than land based postal services.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,919
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

If we are discussing IT kit, may I please also inquire, can someone please recommend an ink tank printer from direct experience? It has to have automatic double sided printing and very good text and office graphics printing (Ms Carnyx does lots of stats graphs and diagrams in her work) as well as being decent at scanning and colour copying. I'm fed up of having a HP cartridge printer which won't run third party cartridges.

Double sided colour laser printers aren't cheap, what's your budget?
    I'm after an inkjet not laser, actually - the kind with a tank that is refillable for each colour (includfing black).

Not too worried about budget as I am spending far too much on cartridges!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

“Emma McClarkin, of the British Beer and Pub Association, said that the new measures “unfairly” targeted pubs and would eradicate the viability of at least 90 per cent in Tiers 2 and 3. “If these tighter tier restrictions are forced upon us, far more government financial support will be needed to avoid the resulting carnage.”

The Institute of Economic Affairs, the think tank, said that there was “no scientific basis” for insisting that drinks should be served with food. Christopher Snowdon, its head of lifestyle economics, said that Tier 2 restrictions were “a death sentence for countless pubs and restaurants”.

Yep - sheer malice from the government.

The deliberate destruction of 90% of a sector.

No polite words to describe what I think of this government.

No, I can't see why having a meal with your drink makes it safer.

Is there an anti-booze sentiment in play maybe? The idea that people just drinking get pissed, forget there's a pandemic on and start horsing around?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

(for me, the "... no serious illnesses in anyone vaccinated in either regime" possibly looks more important, as does the hint that it can prevent asymptomatic infection)

Yes, of the cohort who had the vaccine NONE ended up in hospital AIUI –– to my mind, as to yours, that's a pretty big deal!
    It is, but the numbers are low and most of the trial subjects were without major co morbidities.
    But a number from the non-COVID-vaccine cohort did end up in hospital, I believe?
    I am not sure. I am as keen to get vaccinated as anyone*, but seeing the full trials peer reviewed and published will be interesting.

*I seem to have dodged it so far despite sharing a house with covid positive Mrs Foxy for 8 days. 🤞
    I believe at least one death in the non-COVID arm of the trial -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-54634518
  • Options

Does Mrs Carnyx work for Vallance or Whitty?

No, else I'd be posting in a very informed manner on such things (she is very good at assessing scientific data)!
  • Options

Since the courts have ruled that Saccoolas did indeed have diplomatic immunity I hope the poor Dunn family can now find some form of peace and move on. It is horrific, tragic what happened to Harry but nothing can be done about diplomatic immunity.

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryUK/status/1331180865586683907?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

“Emma McClarkin, of the British Beer and Pub Association, said that the new measures “unfairly” targeted pubs and would eradicate the viability of at least 90 per cent in Tiers 2 and 3. “If these tighter tier restrictions are forced upon us, far more government financial support will be needed to avoid the resulting carnage.”

The Institute of Economic Affairs, the think tank, said that there was “no scientific basis” for insisting that drinks should be served with food. Christopher Snowdon, its head of lifestyle economics, said that Tier 2 restrictions were “a death sentence for countless pubs and restaurants”.

Is there an anti-booze sentiment in play maybe? The idea that people just drinking get pissed, forget there's a pandemic on and start horsing around?
    I'm not sure this is difficult.

Food is more essential than alcohol.

Arguably neither is essential essential, but there you go.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Accusing the government of malice against a sector ofthe economy without any reason is quite ridiculous and a whole lot worse than doubting their judgement on any issue. If so you are accusing countless govenrments across Europe and the rest of the world of the same thing.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

I'm not sure this is difficult.

Food is more essential than alcohol.

Arguably neither is essential essential, but there you go.
    Ok. I'd say neither eating out nor drinking out were truly essential but I suppose you could argue the second is less so.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Alcohol shops are deemed "essential" enough to open during lockdown.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

There are some decent people in the SNP. Ian Blackford is not one of them.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/snps-ian-blackford-slammed-trying-23056650

Positively stupid thing to tweet.
    However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.
    Wrong, he's been living in Scotland since September, as a cursory browse through the chap's twitter account shows.

Anyone defending Blackford is just like a Priti Patel apologist, shame on you.
    Did you not see the first bit where I said it was positively stupid?
    Take your time, words can be hard.

Google has the chap still in Portland, which is clearly where the factual mistake came from. The other mistake, in even bothering to "call this out", was never in dispute.
    You wrote

'However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.'

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did. If you can google him, you could also check out his twitter feed.

You were wrong, factually wrong, take your time. words can be hard.
    Blackford picked out this person because he is from the South of England as opposed to, say, the Central Belt of Scotland. He's an appalling person. Pompous, self-regarding and without a trace of humour. The contrast with his predecessor, Charles Kennedy, is startling.
    As I posted the other day, the nation and especially politics, misses Charles Kennedy. I can forgive the Scottish electorate many things, but not that.
    @OldKingCole - I do not think it was the Scottish electorates fault. It was more likely the Scotch Whisky industry's fault...
    I agree. I don't personally hold anything against Blackford for defeating Kennedy. That is the rough and tumble of politics, like Sturgeon celebrating beating Swinson.

I do think that those that turned a blind eye to Kennedys drinking did him no favours, including journalists and fellow parliamentarians.
  • Options
    I see the the Yoons in an effort to distract themselves from rending their House of Bruar garments and screeching in anguish at why the stupid voters don't hate Nippy, Nipoleon, Jimmy Krankie etc as much as they do, are turning to Blackford for relief. Well done him for providing an important social service in these trying times.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I'm after an inkjet not laser, actually - the kind with a tank that is refillable for each colour (includfing black).

Now I've seen the other comments, anmd thanks to everyone, I erealise I had not thought about laser printers.

*goes away and has a look* impression I get from Which is that laser colour printers are not good at photo printing - which I need for my own work as well as family stuff. On balance inkjet with tank seems best, but none of them seems top notch at the printer head, so I was hoping ...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

There is a fair bit of academic study on the subject, IIRC.

That cultures where food is always taken with alcohol are more... organised... in their social behaviour when alcohol is involved is generally true.

What is disputed is that *adding food* into the mix in a culture changes it that much.

i.e. a bowl of chips doesn't turn the UK vertical drinking establishment into an Italian cafe.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

That cultures where food is always taken with alcohol are more... organised... in their social behaviour when alcohol is involved is generally true.

What is disputed is that *adding food* into the mix in a culture changes it that much.

i.e. a bowl of chips doesn't turn the UK vertical drinking establishment into an Italian cafe.
    But a different matter entirely if you make them polenta chips?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.
    Wrong, he's been living in Scotland since September, as a cursory browse through the chap's twitter account shows.

Google has the chap still in Portland, which is clearly where the factual mistake came from. The other mistake, in even bothering to "call this out", was never in dispute.
    You wrote

'However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.'

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did. If you can google him, you could also check out his twitter feed.

Blackford picked out this person because he is from the South of England as opposed to, say, the Central Belt of Scotland. He's an appalling person. Pompous, self-regarding and without a trace of humour. The contrast with his predecessor, Charles Kennedy, is startling.
    As I posted the other day, the nation and especially politics, misses Charles Kennedy. I can forgive the Scottish electorate many things, but not that.
    @OldKingCole - I do not think it was the Scottish electorates fault. It was more likely the Scotch Whisky industry's fault...
    I agree. I don't personally hold anything against Blackford for defeating Kennedy. That is the rough and tumble of politics, like Sturgeon celebrating beating Swinson.

I do think that those that turned a blind eye to Kennedys drinking did him no favours, including journalists and fellow parliamentarians.
    His (I think) last appearance on Question Time was a pitiful sight, and not afaik the fault of Blackford or the SNP.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    felix said:

I wondered about this. Does it mean that with the vaccine even if you are unlucky enough to succumb to the disease it will give you sufficient protection to prevent you from becoming seriously ill?
    Immunity is not an "on/off" thing; it's all a case of degrees.
    It points to the immune system being given a sufficient boost/head start that it fights it off completely most of the time and helps fight it off with minimal illness in those cases where it's not completely fought off.
  • Options

I see the the Yoons in an effort to distract themselves from rending their House of Bruar garments and screeching in anguish at why the stupid voters don't hate Nippy, Nipoleon, Jimmy Krankie etc as much as they do, are turning to Blackford for relief. Well done him for providing an important social service in these trying times.

While I have my own views on the merits of the Salmond affair, I do feel that the press and media coverage of the court case and its sequelae was and remains mostly amazingly poor and doesn't give a realistic and dispassionate view of the case and its results. never mind its wider implications. (I didn't see the BBC documentary, mind, so can't comment on it.) Anyone who bets on that basis ...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

It is now beyond ludicrous that BF have not settled this market. :angry:

They are making a lot in commission as the amount bet approaches a £billion.

I suspect some hedgies are making very large insurance bets at a cost of only 3% against the chaos and disruption if Trump does manage to overturn the result in the middle of a pandemic and recession. Very unlikely but worth 3% insurance to hedge their portfolios.

For ordinary punters, it is a chance to make 3% tax free in eight weeks at the most.

I think this is a win/win/win. Betfair, hedgies, punters. Patience.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

The whole thing then becomes a mess involving "classism"

A while back, Oxford city centre was turned into a war zone, by a deliberate policy of the council two encourage "nightlife" - long standing venues pushed to become chain vertical drinking establishments etc.

When the inevitable happened - they had ambulances parked up, waiting for trade, at one point - they then tried to clamp down on everyone.

At which point the Labour lot on the council tried to claim it was unfair to pull the license for a bar because of excessive stabbing and glassings, when the "posh pubs"* didn't have the same problems.

*Apparently a pub where you don't get gassed by random scumbags is posh
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,429
    edited November 2020

As an Englishman living in Edinburgh I think Blackford's behaviour raises legitimate questions about what the SNPs much vaunted civic nationalism will look like in practice.

Your trivializing the situation does nothing to reassure me.
  • Options
    The zoomer not-quite-a-political party now reduced to interviewing their fellow Yoon randos. Slick operation.

https://twitter.com/Alliance4Unity/status/1330964864739655680?s=20
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

His (I think) last appearance on Question Time was a pitiful sight, and not afaik the fault of Blackford or the SNP.
    The drinking was a cause or effect of the depression he suffered, a lovely man who unlike so many politicians was interested in you and related to you as a human. Remarkable memory as well.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

A while back, Oxford city centre was turned into a war zone, by a deliberate policy of the council two encourage "nightlife" - long standing venues pushed to become chain vertical drinking establishments etc.

When the inevitable happened - they had ambulances parked up, waiting for trade, at one point - they then tried to clamp down on everyone.

At which point the Labour lot on the council tried to claim it was unfair to pull the license for a bar because of excessive stabbing and glassings, when the "posh pubs"* didn't have the same problems.

Didn’t realise it had all descended into trench warfare.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

felix said:

It points to the immune system being given a sufficient boost/head start that it fights it off completely most of the time and helps fight it off with minimal illness in those cases where it's not completely fought off.
    This was the one worrying aspect of the Moderna results, one of he vaccine cohort developed very serious symptoms so there's clearly some variability in immune response. The Pfizer and AZ ones look more uniform without any serious cases of COVID registered in the vaccine group.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I wouldn't get ink at all then, unless you have a use case for it. I bought a HP colour laser printer almost 10 years ago and I haven't looked back.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

Last thing the NHS needs is all the alkies fitting in A+E.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

You're mustard, you....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033

The zoomer not-quite-a-political party now reduced to interviewing their fellow Yoon randos. Slick operation.

That's probably close enough to a Type C roundel that the MoD will sue them.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

You'd never be able to show your face in polite society in Italy were you publicly drunk and incapable, or out of control.
    Food is entirely irrelevant.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I wouldn't get ink at all then, unless you have a use case for it. I bought a HP colour laser printer almost 10 years ago and I haven't looked back.
    Thanks. It's the photo quality that worries me. But I will do more research into this option.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141
    Foxy said:

It is, but the numbers are low and most of the trial subjects were without major co morbidities.
    It was pure coincidence that those in the control cohort got sick?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Madness....just absolute madness.
  • Options

As an Englishman living in Edinburgh I think Blackford's behaviour raises legitimate questions about what the SNPs much vaunted civic nationalism will look like in practice.

Nats cant help trivialising. Nationalism always is a simplistic and prejudiced answer to complex questions.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Dura_Ace said:

That's probably close enough to a Type C roundel that the MoD will sue them.
    Jamie hasn't aged spectacularly well (who of us has?) but it's nice to see more HDiv types getting involved in politics. Can't let IDS shoulder the burden all himself.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,276
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

While I have my own views on the merits of the Salmond affair, I do feel that the press and media coverage of the court case and its sequelae was and remains mostly amazingly poor and doesn't give a realistic and dispassionate view of the case and its results. never mind its wider implications. (I didn't see the BBC documentary, mind, so can't comment on it.) Anyone who bets on that basis ...
    Quite. It's possible to think Salmond was poorly treated by the press and the SNP but also that by his own admission, his behaviour while FM makes him unsuited to hold a position of power again. I did watch the documentary (rapidly edited on iplayer after its first showing) and the section with Wark and other worthies of the Scottish media salivating over the (they thought) likely verdict while stuffing their faces with food in some chichi Royal Mile eatery was edifying, but not in the way they would have hoped.

The idea that Unionists who a year ago were touching themselves inappropriately over what they hoped would be Salmond's utter destruction but are now claiming to be advocates for transparency and fair treatment of him is an entertaining one though.
  • Options

Nats cant help trivialising. Nationalism always is a simplistic and prejudiced answer to complex questions.
    YOu're assuming that it's about the person being English rather than being seen to have breached the rules (rightly or wrongly). That's a remarkably nationalistic viewpoint.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

You'd never be able to show your face in polite society in Italy were you publicly drunk and incapable, or out of control.
    Food is entirely irrelevant.
    Yes - that was my point. Cultural (and cultural location) make a massive difference.

There are places in Italy where crawling drunk occurs - it is a smaller part of society and generally well out of view.

I remember a regular here, who was commenting on the behaviour of some women in a UK city, as captured on TV. Very unedifying.....

His comment was that this would never happen in a certain country was correct to a point - for the kind of places he would frequent.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    edited November 2020

Nigelb said:
    I suspect what happens in the aftermath of Thanksgiving will influence what happens at Christmas in the UK.

We should thank the Americans for taking one for the team.
    Back in the Spring, we had about 2 weeks warning of what was happening in Italy and Spain, and wasted that opportunity. This time we have about 4 weeks warning based on observed behaviour in the US, and we'll waste that opportunity too.

Johnson certainly should not have gone beyond saying yesterday that he would hope to make some further relaxation prior to Christmas, but at this stage it was too early to commit to that. Now the PM has already boxed himself into a corner by making a premature announcement, such that he'll find it difficult to u-turn, even when the evidence from the US starts to come through.

That said, there is no real need to wait for a further inevitable escalation in US cases as a result of Thanksgiving, since it's very clear just from what is happening now that a spike in cases and deaths is inevitable. The only thing that might allow some relaxation is if there were some early roll-out of the vaccine, such that those receiving it could be exempted.

• Options

Brexit => Scexit ;)
  • Options

Brexit => Scexit ;)
    Scexit => Brussels vassalage ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

This was the one worrying aspect of the Moderna results, one of he vaccine cohort developed very serious symptoms so there's clearly some variability in immune response. The Pfizer and AZ ones look more uniform without any serious cases of COVID registered in the vaccine group.
    Small numbers though. Only 30 cases in the Oxford treatment groups, and healthy volunteers, so wouldn't expect more than a few admissions with bog standard Covid-19 as opposed to attenuated.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Thanks. It's the photo quality that worries me. But I will do more research into this option.
    If you get a high DPI model it will have very good photo quality as well. Once shops are open sometimes it's worth going to Curry's with photo paper and a usb stick with a photo on it to test the quality of each type of printer. Usually they don't mind.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Ha - it pretty much was. George Street after about 8pm on Friday and Saturday was a place loosing control....

The comic touch I liked, was that a pub I used to drink in had no trouble. Metal heads, goths and bikers. Very now and then, one of the gelled hair types would look in the door, and very obviously think "not here" and go away again......
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Quite. It's possible to think Salmond was poorly treated by the press and the SNP but also that by his own admission, his behaviour while FM makes him unsuited to hold a position of power again. I did watch the documentary (rapidly edited on iplayer after its first showing) and the section with Wark and other worthies of the Scottish media salivating over the (they thought) likely verdict while stuffing their faces with food in some chichi Royal Mile eatery was edifying, but not in the way they would have hoped.

The idea that Unionists who a year ago were touching themselves inappropriately over what they hoped would be Salmond's utter destruction but are now claiming to be advocates for transparency and fair treatment of him is an entertaining one though.
    Indeed. I hesitate to comment in specific detail, without checking what (if any) court cases are active, but one of the points most obviously ignored is that the development of a harassment (etc) policy was absolutely inevitable in the context of the MeToo and Westminster and Holyrood scandals; was fairly timely ditto; and that letting anyone or any category of pol off would have been not only contrary to the Zeitgeist, but something on which the Unionists would have latched.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

felix said:

Small numbers though. Only 30 cases in the Oxford treatment groups, and healthy volunteers, so wouldn't expect more than a few admissions with bog standard Covid-19 as opposed to attenuated.
    With 3 successful vaccines, I wonder if they will go ahead with the challenge trials that were scheduled to start in the new year.
  • Options
    Gawd knows what state the Union will be in when Biden takes over. Military medical camps providing ICU across America because hospitals have collapsed under the numbers?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Ha - it pretty much was. George Street after about 8pm on Friday and Saturday was a place loosing control....

The comic touch I liked, was that a pub I used to drink in had no trouble. Metal heads, goths and bikers. Very now and then, one of the gelled hair types would look in the door, and very obviously think "not here" and go away again......
    Happy memories of many ciders in the Welsh Pony with my Oxonian chums. Long gone now alas I believe.

Presumably the Kings Arms counts as posh? or at least rear area?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,457

Carnyx said:

I think (with respect) you're missing the point somewhat. It's the fact that senior SNP people like Kenny Mackaskill MP (former Justice Secretary at Holyrood) are calling for Peter Murrell's sacking (he is Nicola's husband and CEO of SNP) that is so significant.

We should also remember that Sturgeon and Salmond were joined at the hip for twenty years. She knew fine well what he was about years and years ago. And did nothing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

YOu're assuming that it's about the person being English rather than being seen to have breached the rules (rightly or wrongly). That's a remarkably nationalistic viewpoint.

Er, nope, was not assuming anything of the sort. Theuniondivvie invariably indicates that those who are either English or not living in Scotland are unable to comment on anything relating to Scotland. Aside from being crassly stupid (someone outside Scotland can still absorb and have an opinion on Scottish news), it is indicative of a nationalist mindset - that is nationalist with a small "n", and is as irrational and prejudiced as any nasty English nationalist, or "little Englander". Little difference between a Little Englander and a Little Scotlander. It needs to be called out as such.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    I suspect what happens in the aftermath of Thanksgiving will influence what happens at Christmas in the UK.

Back in the Spring, we had about 2 weeks warning of what was happening in Italy and Spain, and wasted that opportunity. This time we have about 4 weeks warning based on observed behaviour in the US, and we'll waste that opportunity too.

Johnson certainly should not have gone beyond saying yesterday that he would hope to make some further relaxation prior to Christmas, but at this stage it was too early to commit to that. Now the PM has already boxed himself into a corner by making a premature announcement, such that he'll find it difficult to u-turn, even when the evidence from the US starts to come through.

That said, there is no real need to wait for a further inevitable escalation in US cases as a result of Thanksgiving, since it's very clear just from what is happening now that a spike in cases and deaths is inevitable. The only thing that might allow some relaxation is if there were some early roll-out of the vaccine, such that those receiving it could be exempted.

It is plain bonkers and Johnson has made a profound mistake here.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Funny how Blackford didn't find someone from the Central Belt to chastise for breaking the rules. Decided to go after someone from England (who hadn't broken the rules). Let's face it, we all know what he's about, don't we?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Makes social distancing more likely I’d say, having to sit in your place at a table with a meal.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Laura Pidcock
    @LauraPidcock
    · 1h
    The left grouping were just forced to walk out of NEC meeting. The disrespect for the left is something we will not put up with. The leadership undermine governance of the NEC, censor debate & ignore our processes by doubling down on the removal of the whip from @jeremycorbyn
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Funny how Blackford didn't find someone from the Central Belt to chastise for breaking the rules. Decided to go after someone from England (who hadn't broken the rules). Let's face it, we all know what he's about, don't we?
    He msot certainly did find someone from the C. B. The MP for Ruglen etc. Margaret Ferrier.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Fewer people can eat (or afford to buy and waste) a pub meal in half a dozen establishments in an evening than can have a drink or two in the same number of establishments. People moving from venue to venue are a much bigger risk than those who stay in one place, both in terms of becoming infected and the number of people they infect.
  • Options
    Lol, the Pidcock faction staged a walkout an an NEC meeting in protest at the removal of a rule they made in 2017 to stitch up the leadership. But this was less impressive that they hoped, first because it was a zoom call so they couldn't actually walk out, and second because when the ringleader tried to rage-quit the meeting he couldn't find the "leave" button and spent a minute awkwardly fiddling with the software after announcing the flounce.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/24/corbyn-supporting-labour-faction-stage-nec-mass-walkout?__twitter_impression=true

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Happy memories of many ciders in the Welsh Pony with my Oxonian chums. Long gone now alas I believe.

'The Welsh Pony' was a historic name derived from the Welsh Drovers taking cattle/sheep from Wales to the markets in London via Oxford.

It still exists as a drinking establishment, but was called first Euro-bar and now OXO-bar (with its suggestion of beef stock).
  • Options
    Now the far left are resorting to mass walkouts.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/24/corbyn-supporting-labour-faction-stage-nec-mass-walkout

The Conservative Party will be egging them on and wishing them every success in their attempts to undermine Labour's most popular leader for two decades.

Meanwhile, the article confirms that Starmer's effective working majority on the NEC is 11, or almost 2 to 1. (Majority of 24, less 13 who walked out.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

He msot certainly did find someone from the C. B. The MP for Ruglen etc. Margaret Ferrier.
    LOL. Not really comparable cases are they?
  • Options

Laura Pidcock
    @LauraPidcock
    · 1h
    The left grouping were just forced to walk out of NEC meeting. The disrespect for the left is something we will not put up with. The leadership undermine governance of the NEC, censor debate & ignore our processes by doubling down on the removal of the whip from @jeremycorbyn

Looks like LAB are not quite ready for power yet!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Fewer people can eat (or afford to buy and waste) a pub meal in half a dozen establishments in an evening than can have a drink or two in the same number of establishments. People moving from venue to venue are a much bigger risk than those who stay in one place, both in terms of becoming infected and the number of people they infect.
    There is a distinct anti pub sentiment present in the government, a sort of 'ooh no we can't allow these ordinary working class people have a bit of pleasure' outlook.

As I posted on here yesterday, it is the little independent businesses which will suffer, big chains such as Wetherspoons and Greene King will be able to open as typically they serve food.

But those who might just want a few beers won't be able to go, and instead will socialise in non COVID secure environments ie their houses.

Boris and Hancock just don't get this!
  • Options

Theuniondivvie invariably indicates that those who are either English or not living in Scotland are unable to comment on anything relating to Scotland.

And yet here you are, 'able' to comment.
    Even if I had the power to stop you I wouldn't, I just believe the really stupid and ill informed ones should either be ignored or have the piss ripped out of them according to taste and which day of the week it is.
  • Options

Laura Pidcock
    @LauraPidcock
    · 1h

Looks like LAB are not quite ready for power yet!
    On the contrary, if these people are throwing their toys out of the pram that's a sign that they are.
  • Options
  • Options

I used to drink in the Gloc...
    Great jukebox

• Options

Laura Pidcock
    @LauraPidcock
    · 1h

"Forced to walk out" my a**e.

That said, over the last couple of months I've come round to the view that the best thing would be for them to walk out and just keep going. There's no point in trying any longer to work with people whose whole purpose seems to be to do everything possible to undermine Keir Starmer's leadership.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Theuniondivvie invariably indicates that those who are either English or not living in Scotland are unable to comment on anything relating to Scotland.

Even if I had the power to stop you I wouldn't, I just believe the really stupid and ill informed ones should either be ignored or have the piss ripped out of them according to taste and which day of the week it is.
    Perhaps [edit] even more to the point, there is a major question about the reliability of the UK media on Scottish politics. As you and I have been discussing today. And in turn on the quality of information on which PBers can depend.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Like it or not, there are alcoholics.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

You wrote

Which sounds an awful lot like defending Blackford, much like the Priti Patel defenders did.

Not really. I even put the "positively stupid" bit first, to make it idiot proof. But there's always a deeper kind of idiocy out there, so well done you.
    Says the person who also typed

We can tell you are like a jockstrap and full of bollocks, endex.
    Firstly, an absolute statement about Blackford's stupid tweet.
    Second, a couched statement about maybe him being factually right.

That fact that I thought it was a stupid thing to tweet even if it was factually right cannot be taken in any way as defending him.
    I'm happy to take your word that it was factually wrong, but your accusation that this was a defence of Blackford are frankly risible. The very first thing I typed was absolutely clear and put there to avoid exactly the kind stupidity you just demonstrated.
    You could have just said "no, it's factually wrong: [evidence]" and you'd have seen me quite clearly accept it. But no, you had to come steaming in pretend I was saying the exact opposite of what I actually said.

What annoys me most (well, apart from your expansive feeblemindedness), is that I really think Blackford is a moron of the highest order. The idea of being cast as some kind of spirited defender of him is galling, and precisely why I took care to make sure that would not be an interpretation left available.

You saw what you wanted to see. And you saw it wrong.
    So you retract your comment that 'However, the best I can tell, Blackford might actually have been right about the photographer coming from Dorset.'?
    Yes, I'm taking your word that it is factually wrong.
    I read the article. I thought it was a bit odd about why anyone would guess he was from the south of England. I googled the chap and found he has business address showing up in Portland. I looked on his website and saw that he runs classes all over the place, but a heavy skew towards the south-west of England (Dorset, Cornwall), and I took my findings and wrote my post.
    I was aware that those checks left open the possibility that he didn't really live in the South of England, so I couched it in terms of "best I can tell... might".

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when I think they're doing something wrong. Blackford shouldn't have tweeted this in the first place, even if he was right. It's another example of a politician punching down, and I despise that tendency. But the question of factuality also interested me, and I saw evidence that it was true. Seems like that evidence is out of date by a couple of months.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Yes, some pronounced cultural differences. I'd like to say I'm more in tune with the continental food-based civilized drinking vibe but I'm afraid I'm not. It's rather the opposite. I dislike having just one or two drinks because for me the point of alcohol is to get a buzz on, so it's three as a minimum. Food detracts from the buzz. It lines your stomach and mutes it. For me eating and drinking are very separate experiences. If I'm eating I don't want any booze at all and if I'm boozing I don't want to eat. You only really get the buzz, I find, on an empty stomach. But each to his or her own of course and I certainly would not recommend my approach. My relationship with alcohol, while under control these days, is not ideal.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

There is a distinct anti pub sentiment present in the government, a sort of 'ooh no we can't allow these ordinary working class people have a bit of pleasure' outlook.

As I posted on here yesterday, it is the little independent businesses which will suffer, big chains such as Wetherspoons and Greene King will be able to open as typically they serve food.

But those who might just want a few beers won't be able to go, and instead will socialise in non COVID secure environments ie their houses.

If my theory is the thinking behind the "meal" you could also allow drinking pubs that are not near lots of other pubs to be open. Something like if no more than 1 other pub within a mile, you can be open.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,429
    Carnyx said:

Perhaps [edit] even more to the point, there is a major question about the reliability of the UK media on Scottish politics. As you and I have been discussing today. And in turn on the quality of information on which PBers can depend.
    One of the Scottish Nationalism stories we are discussing is pure internet - we can go to the story direct, unmediated by any media, whether London or Scotland based, and judge how well the SNPs claims for civic nationalism compare to the behaviour of their elected representatives.

I would have thought that Brexit would provide a model of how not to do nationalism, but perhaps the SNP see only a referendum victory and not the consequences on people who find themselves on the wrong side of a border afterwards.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Nigelb said:

It is plain bonkers and Johnson has made a profound mistake here.
    Essentially the same mistake for the third time this year.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    dixiedean said:

Last thing the NHS needs is all the alkies fitting in A+E.
    There's a lovely local craft beer and cider shop opened in the old Laura Ashley unit in Sanderson Arcade, Morpeth. I highly recommend.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Blackford shouldn't have tweeted this in the first place, even if he was right. It's another example of a politician punching down, and I despise that tendency.

That is rather nicely put, and a sentiment with which I agree.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Yes; I do go out with Mrs C for a meal at our local, but I also go, by myself, to have a drink and chat (or as one of my friends put it a few days ago, a business meeting about a local activity we're both involved in). None of the people I meet are interested in long drinking sessions, singing and whatever. Couple of pints, that's it.
  • Options
    Crabbie said:

I used to drink in the Gloc...
    Great jukebox

Used to work there, summer/autumn 2001.

No more, but at least was still being used as a pub last time I was in Oxford.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,276
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

Nowadays I tend to wearily think that folk, even relatively smart ones, believe what they want to believe.
    Eg the Andra Neil view is fairly prevalent, that is the London centric liberal media give the SNP a free ride 'cos they're blinded by Nippy's APPARENT competence, the Scotch media give them a free ride cos they're a bit shit. My spirit quails at challenging that level of bad take.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/TommyCorbyn/status/1330591633545551875?s=20

Nice one. Except.. Rihanna has never played at Glastonbury.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    HYUFD said:
    Of course, those _aren't_ estimates of how many people have had COVID-19. As the ONS page they are taken from points out: "these levels can decline over time to the point that tests can no longer detect them."

The suggestion is that those numbers will represent only a fraction of those who have had COVID-19, and that most of them will still have significant immunity even if antibodies aren't detected.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622

Laura Pidcock
    @LauraPidcock
    · 1h

Lovely use of "forced" there to describe an unforced tactical decision. Like Trump - who abuses language in his own ways as well - the left are not great losers, though they should be getting used to it by now.

SKS knows that win an election he needs quite a few people who habitually vote Tory to vote Labour. As long as the left is acting in a Trumpish manner he will struggle. It is worth considering carefully the mystery of why he isn't 20 points ahead now.

• Options

Carnyx said:

One of the Scottish Nationalism stories we are discussing is pure internet - we can go to the story direct, unmediated by any media, whether London or Scotland based, and judge how well the SNPs claims for civic nationalism compare to the behaviour of their elected representatives.

I would have thought that Brexit would provide a model of how not to do nationalism, but perhaps the SNP see only a referendum victory and not the consequences on people who find themselves on the wrong side of a border afterwards.
    Mr Blackford has certainly put his foot in his mouth in a couple of recent tweets - but there is a tweet for every occasion. And you can interpret such things as you like. Yet remember that English incomers form a strong element within the SNP.

As for interpretation of Scottish politics, that's also true, but the media do, erm, do a lot of mediating. And, in and out of Scotland, mostly highly hostile to the SNP. The P&J, for instance, has an interesting relationship with the Trump Organization, as well as being owned by DC Thomson, and that has to be borne in mind when it is adduced as evidence, as it was today. I really miss the old Scotsman and Herald - much morte reliable newspapers in their old days.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Says something about Boris & Hancock of course!

There are several pubs in this area, and most, if not all, serve food. If I were going for a meals the Greene King place would be my last choice.
  • Options
    Blast from the past. Gordon Jackson seems to have escaped from his Salmond faux pas relatively unscathed.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1331176051943346182?s=20

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1331178384886468610?s=20
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Yes I can see some logic there. Pub crawls are probably risky and rarely involve food.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

If you're going to hang the charge of racism around his neck, you'll need better evidence than that.
    I think the man is a chump, and the tweet was a terrible idea. But that doesn't make him a racist by a long, long chalk.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Maybe Twitter can label such comments with a tartan pen ' these are disputed...'
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55044129

This does seem extraordinary -- from the University that TSE bores for.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Carnyx said:

Nowadays I tend to wearily think that folk, even relatively smart ones, believe what they want to believe.
    Eg the Andra Neil view is fairly prevalent, that is the London centric liberal media give the SNP a free ride 'cos they're blinded by Nippy's APPARENT competence, the Scotch media give them a free ride cos they're a bit shit. My spirit quails at challenging that level of bad take.
    Exactly. I don't know how to deal with it, either. One problem is the ignorance of dog-whistles that only mean something to the intended recipients and those unfortunate fellow-citizens wearily attuned to them. Another problem is the ease of lying - southrons aren't so familiar with the ins and outs and can't spot them. E.g. Menie (on which the P&J is rather interesting, edit, but however supports the schemes - it's what is said more wideluy by others is the issue), Edinburgh ****ing trams, and now I 'm sure we will get lots of stuff about the late Mr Megrahi and how baaaad it was that the Scottish Gmt were following the letter of the laws enacted by Labour and confirmed by Tory governments and avoiding the risk of terrorist attacks as a result.
  • Options
    felix said:

Carnyx said:

Maybe Twitter can label such comments with a tartan pen ' these are disputed...'
    Tartan is so Brigadoon. But yes!
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Carnyx said:

If you're going to hang the charge of racism around his neck, you'll need better evidence than that.
    I think the man is a chump, and the tweet was a terrible idea. But that doesn't make him a racist by a long, long chalk.
    Seconded.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Probably was posh.

Thankfully the bar scene in Oxford reverted back to something approaching sanity.

Another favourite was a certain little old place where the landlord refused to have muzak and had banned mobile phones. And decorated the lintel above the bar with phone nailed to it - which he claimed were taken from those breaching the rules....

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

Carnyx said:

You're completely right. And we tend to surround ourselves, intentionally or otherwise, with people and information sources that reinforce our beliefs. The only daft thing in your statement is the implicit assumption that this isn't true of you and those of your persuasion, who are apparently exempt? Perhaps that wasn't what you meant - if so, apologies.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Makes social distancing more likely I’d say, having to sit in your place at a table with a meal.
    Yes I can see that. But when our local was open it was also table service. I suppose it's a keep it simple and better safe than sorry approach.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

Probably was posh.

Thankfully the bar scene in Oxford reverted back to something approaching sanity.

Another favourite was a certain little old place where the landlord refused to have muzak and had banned mobile phones. And decorated the lintel above the bar with phone nailed to it - which he claimed were taken from those breaching the rules....

I would think very hard before driving a nail through a phone battery.
This discussion has been closed.