Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump finally agrees that the Biden transition can begin but the Betfair market remains open – polit

1235»

Comments

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited November 2020
    Betfair are taking the piss.

The time to settle has long passed.

“Projected” is what we all thought we were betting on. Feckin eeejits.
  • Options

TimT said:

I expect a lot of the Trump resistance to fall off at this stage - not the rhetoric, but the actual number of court cases. Even Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham have admitted that Biden won.

Everyone but Betfair at this rate.
    and almost 80% of Trump voters.

The scatter gun approach was clearly hurting Trump anyway. Better to concentrate on a simpler message and a simpler focus of attack.

Or signatures, as its otherwise known. Why won;t democrats allow signature match audits?

That said, watching Sidney Powell trying to make a horse race out of her lawsuit is going to be fun.
    There's about as much chance of Sidney Powell having a chance in her lawsuit as there is of President Trump saying that he's declassifying the fact that there are aliens in Roswell or Area 51.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

TimT said:

I expect a lot of the Trump resistance to fall off at this stage - not the rhetoric, but the actual number of court cases. Even Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham have admitted that Biden won.

Everyone but Betfair at this rate.
    and almost 80% of Trump voters.

The scatter gun approach was clearly hurting Trump anyway. Better to concentrate on a simpler message and a simpler focus of attack.

Or signatures, as its otherwise known. Why won;t democrats allow signature match audits?

That said, watching Sidney Powell trying to make a horse race out of her lawsuit is going to be fun.
    There's about as much chance of Sidney Powell having a chance in her lawsuit as there is of President Trump saying that he's declassifying the fact that there are aliens in Roswell or Area 51.
    Don;t disagree but it will be fun watching her try...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    TOPPING said:

Given the way politicians are uniting across the board about not wanting to be in Tier III (EG London), I wonder if the government is in a bit of real trouble here.

Will labour save Boris's bacon this time?. With significant labour figures coming out against Tier III in their area, (EG Khan) maybe not.

As I have said previously on here. It is getting increasingly difficult for Lab to start opposing the govt given that it has and seemingly will support it on Covid and Brexit.

At what point will they oppose?
    As someone who holds no candle for Labour, I suspect that nevertheless they are better off holding their fire. During the pandemic, there are no points for being out of line. After January in respect of Brexit, and whenever the chickens come home to roost on the government’s lamentable handling of the virus crisis, there will be plenty of opportunity to make hay.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088

I see the the Yoons in an effort to distract themselves from rending their House of Bruar garments and screeching in anguish at why the stupid voters don't hate Nippy, Nipoleon, Jimmy Krankie etc as much as they do, are turning to Blackford for relief. Well done him for providing an important social service in these trying times.

As an Englishman living in Edinburgh I think Blackford's behaviour raises legitimate questions about what the SNPs much vaunted civic nationalism will look like in practice.

Your trivializing the situation does nothing to reassure me.
    Nats cant help trivialising. Nationalism always is a simplistic and prejudiced answer to complex questions.
    Fannies galore, back to your knitting the two of you , and you dumbo , change the record you boring halfwit.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

“Emma McClarkin, of the British Beer and Pub Association, said that the new measures “unfairly” targeted pubs and would eradicate the viability of at least 90 per cent in Tiers 2 and 3. “If these tighter tier restrictions are forced upon us, far more government financial support will be needed to avoid the resulting carnage.”

The Institute of Economic Affairs, the think tank, said that there was “no scientific basis” for insisting that drinks should be served with food. Christopher Snowdon, its head of lifestyle economics, said that Tier 2 restrictions were “a death sentence for countless pubs and restaurants”.

Yep - sheer malice from the government.

The deliberate destruction of 90% of a sector.

No polite words to describe what I think of this government.

No, I can't see why having a meal with your drink makes it safer.

Is there an anti-booze sentiment in play maybe? The idea that people just drinking get pissed, forget there's a pandemic on and start horsing around?
    Fewer people can eat (or afford to buy and waste) a pub meal in half a dozen establishments in an evening than can have a drink or two in the same number of establishments. People moving from venue to venue are a much bigger risk than those who stay in one place, both in terms of becoming infected and the number of people they infect.
    Probably the reason, I reckon you’re right
    In larger town centres maybe, but not in smaller towns or villages where are only one or max three pubs. And if there are two or even, three and one is the one you don't go to......like me and the Conservative Club...... you only go to one and stay there for as long as you want to drink.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Commentariat placeman sneers at ordinary person desperately trying to keep her small business open number 3,156,208
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Delicious blue on blue this afternoon
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "I don't consent to any fines, so it will just be returned to sender."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Hmm.

Suppose we leave with no deal.

Disruption, turmoil, and a split in the body politic with some advocating a stuff 'em attitude and others saying we must admit we were wrong and return to the EU.

How would voters react?

Polling seems to suggest a stable majority for the notion we were wrong to leave. But that may not translate to a majority saying we should rejoin (especially if terms are worse).

Tumultuous times will remain, I think...

What I think many commentators are missing is that if we leave with a deal we may still get disruption and turmoil. Under UK law we will implement customs and standards checks on 1st January. Using customs offers who haven't been hired and a choice of computer systems one of which is in early concept testing the other does not support the volume of transactions we will have.

Unless we agree a deal where we have zero tariffs and zero standards checks then the whole thing falls over on day 1.
    Everything points to an extension.
  • Options

Well, its the only way you are going to win
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Commentariat placeman sneers at ordinary person desperately trying to keep her small business open number 3,156,208
    It just highlights the problem of social media.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Laura Pidcock
    @LauraPidcock
    · 1h
    The left grouping were just forced to walk out of NEC meeting. The disrespect for the left is something we will not put up with. The leadership undermine governance of the NEC, censor debate & ignore our processes by doubling down on the removal of the whip from @jeremycorbyn

Lovely use of "forced" there to describe an unforced tactical decision. Like Trump - who abuses language in his own ways as well - the left are not great losers, though they should be getting used to it by now.

SKS knows that win an election he needs quite a few people who habitually vote Tory to vote Labour. As long as the left is acting in a Trumpish manner he will struggle. It is worth considering carefully the mystery of why he isn't 20 points ahead now.
    I wouldn't say Labour needs habitual Tory voters, but it does need people who view voting Tory as something you can do and still claim to have a conscience - which is a view I struggle with, naturally.

One of the reasons SKS isn't ahead is because they aren't listening to his criticism of the government. Yesterday in Parliament is a bit of an exception, and SKS seemed to make a decent stab of criticising the government failure over isolating people infectious with Covid - but it doesn't cut through.

This might be because SKS is boring and lacks personality, so won't get a hearing on any topic. Or it might be that the media remain fixated on the eternal debate over the minutiae of Corona restrictions.

The most prominent SKS has been on Covid since being elected was when he called for the circuit-breaker. The media's favourite topic.
    If Labour attract a load of habitual Con voters that is landslide. I'd say it's more the floaters who are the realistic target. Those middle ground voters who reluctantly voted Con last time because they were spooked by the notion of PM Corbyn. But in addition one does not want to lose too many of those who were enthused by the Corbyn era. They remain an essential part of an election winning coalition. So I don't think Labour supporters should be too gung ho about "the left" getting royally pissed off with Starmer.
    Starmer is never going to match Blair in appeal to Tory voters, he won the biggest Labour landslides ever in 1997 and 2001 precisely because many Tories saw him as a One Nation Tory and that is why he made such big inroads even in the traditionally Tory South.

He just needs to appeal to working class and lower middle class swing voters who might have voted for Harold Wilson in a previous era, particularly in the North, the Midlands, London and Wales and win back the Red Wall
    Starmer's best hope is divide and conquer. Get as many disaffected tories as he can to vote for Farage, and drive through the middle.

Which means supporting Boris quite a bit, actually.
    Provided Boris does not do a SM and CU BINO but a Canada style FTA and starts to ease back on lockdowns next year as we get people vaccinated I think Farage will be a busted flush
    You don’t think Farage will find more specious grievances with which to inflame the lumpen? There's the ongoing channel fiasco for a start and that's before het gets his teeth into Princess Nut Nut's green agenda.
    Nut Nuts, not Nut Nut. In the interests of PB pedantry.
    Wrong. Nut Nuts was an error in initial reports.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8950507/Cruel-Princess-Nut-Nut-nickname-Carrie-used-months.html
    One thing I don't really understand is why these people, who are meant to be serious people in charge of running the country, are wasting their brain cells coming up with infantile nicknames for each other. Is it a public school thing? It's not something I've ever encountered in the workplace or indeed anywhere else.
    Seriously - you've never encountered people coming up with infantile nicknames for each other in any context?

I agree it's risky and unprofessional at work, but it's surely commonplace amongst friendship groups regardless of class.

Also a bit silly to say "wasting their brain cells"... do you whisk The Times crossword away from people doing it on the train too, for fear it will reduce national productivity?

Incidentally, I think Princess Nut Nut is fairly funny and accurate... albeit an incredibly stupid thing to spread about regarding your boss' squeeze (and hinting at Cummings' belief in his own invincibility which was perhaps bolstered rather than tested by the Barnard Castle survival).
    No I am honestly struggling to think of an example from my own life. It's not like I have only hung out with po-faced killjoys or anything, but I don't think nicknames were a big feature of my school (there was a hard as nails boy a couple of years beneath us, who scared the shit out of everyone and was for some reason known as "Mavis" - which somehow made him more scary, but he was the exception). I've mostly worked in quite international environments which perhaps make people more nervous of causing offence.
    I'm not totally sure what "princess nut nut" is meant to convey? Preciousness? A chipmunk like appearance? I guess one can kind of pick up those vibes from Ms Symmonds. Seriously though, it is all so relentlessly trivial.
    It emphasises the insiders vs the outsiders. Nicknames occur in tight knit organisations who perceive they face (or who actually do face) external threats and need to bind together closely for support. Eg. football teams, HMF, and it seems Dom & Boris' inner sanctum.
    I don't think I work with anyone who doesn't have a nick name. Hell, most of us have a few, depending on whether the person talking about you thinks you're a tosser or not!
  • Options

Well, its the only way you are going to win
    Win what?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Quite. Why do we have to put up with people like Steve Analyst?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    For anyone who hasn’t yet opened their evening tipple, a provoking long read, shared on the basis that RT not equal to endorsement:

https://newleftreview.org/issues/ii125/articles/perry-anderson-ukania-perpetua
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Quite. Why do we have to put up with people like Steve Analyst?
    As penance for us putting up with you.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2020
    Straight from circuit breaker to allowing boozy nights out in Cardiff...

During plenary in the Senedd on Tuesday First Minister Mark Drakeford confirmed that 17 local authorities of 22 have seen rises in case rates in under-25s in the latest figures.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-cases-infections-deaths-wales-19336708
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,431
    malcolmg said:

I see the the Yoons in an effort to distract themselves from rending their House of Bruar garments and screeching in anguish at why the stupid voters don't hate Nippy, Nipoleon, Jimmy Krankie etc as much as they do, are turning to Blackford for relief. Well done him for providing an important social service in these trying times.

As an Englishman living in Edinburgh I think Blackford's behaviour raises legitimate questions about what the SNPs much vaunted civic nationalism will look like in practice.

Nats cant help trivialising. Nationalism always is a simplistic and prejudiced answer to complex questions.
    Fannies galore, back to your knitting the two of you , and you dumbo , change the record you boring halfwit.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of knitting. I'm currently working on my second of a pair of socks from a Mystery Knit-A-Long.

Does anyone else combine knitting with slaying Nationalistic* Myths on the Internet?

* Choice of Nationalism whose myths you discredit I leave to you. Plenty to choose from.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    From the BBC a few minutes ago
    'In May, a junior civil servant working with High-Street banks noticed dozens of claims for universal credit had been made asking for money to be paid into the same bank account.
    Further investigation identified more than 100,000 fraudulent claims.
    And officials admit they had confirmed thousands of people's identities to the gangs that had stolen them - and passed on their National Insurance numbers.'

The headline is 'Benefit scams worth £1bn foiled during lockdown', but of course the actual sum of which we've been defrauded must run into dozens of millions of £.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If the No Deal diehards refuse to even accept a Canada style FTA they can sod off to Farage as far as I am concerned and never come back!!

Well said.

But what if that (no deal) becomes Cons Party policy and/or is enacted. Where would that leave your relationship with the Party?
    I would still stay in the party and argue for a Deal, I am obviously not going to go off to Farage either way am I!
    You swallowed Brexit although you believed that the wellbeing of the UK was best served by staying in the EU. You now say that if the Party said it wanted no deal you would stay when you believe that it would be very bad for your country.

So at what point would you think that the Party had moved too far from your beliefs, and was inflicting too much harm on the country you love, such that you would, in all good faith, no longer be able to remain a member of it?
    I believe he draws the line in recognising that Scots have a right to national self-determination like Cameron and Thatcher said. If the Tory leader won't send in jackboots to squash the rebellious Scots then that is his deal breaker.
    Preserving the Union at all costs is a pivotal part of being a Tory, backing a No Deal Brexit as opposed to simply respecting the Brexit vote is not, just another reason why you are not and never will be a Tory.

2014 was a once in generation referendum and the Scots voted to stay in the UK and that should be respected
    Yebbut wanting to leave the EU is a pivotal part of being a Tory in today's party. Boris even made every would be MP swear as such.
    Respecting the Leave vote yes, the Tory manifesto also set out the Brexit deal with the EU they were aiming for, only Farage's party in 2019 was pushing No Deal
    Indeed. Reclaim laws and money being the first thing that the manifesto said.

If the EU wants to control our laws and money and won't give us a deal without that control then it would betray the manifesto to sign up to that deal.
    Sod off to Farage then, good riddance and don't come back!!

The Tory manifesto never made any promises on state aid
    I couldn't care less about state aid.

I do care about laws and money which is what the manifesto said.
    State aid IS about laws and money.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,458
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Carnyx said:

YOu're assuming that it's about the person being English rather than being seen to have breached the rules (rightly or wrongly). That's a remarkably nationalistic viewpoint.

Funny how Blackford didn't find someone from the Central Belt to chastise for breaking the rules. Decided to go after someone from England (who hadn't broken the rules). Let's face it, we all know what he's about, don't we?
    If you're going to hang the charge of racism around his neck, you'll need better evidence than that.
    I think the man is a chump, and the tweet was a terrible idea. But that doesn't make him a racist by a long, long chalk.
    It's pathological and irrational hatred of the English, voiced at every opportunity to encourage those feelings in others for political gain. If English people were an ethnic minority, as opposed to just a minority of those living in Scotland, it would be pretty easy to put a label on.
    Funny how there are so many English in the SNP and in the Yes movement - who have set up their own group precisely to refute such assumptions.
    I'm sure Carnyx will remember the very ugly spate of social media claims about how "the English" were responsible for infecting Scotland with Covid. Which was capped by the Bampots at the border with their "English Not Welcome" signs. Rightly, this was condemned by all responsible politicians in Scotland. This is why Blackford's tweet was so disgraceful and utterly irresponsible.
    Plenty of numpties on Twitter. And elsewhere,. such as ConHome.

But if you think Sean Clerkin has anything to do with the SNP (except disrupting their business) and the independence movement I have a 130-year-old bridge to sell you, lots of rivets, newly painted red oxide, buyer collects from Inchmickery.
    We should stop worrying. According to Nicola, Mr Blackford acted with "grace and dignity". So that's alright then.

Although in an amusing twist, the SNP new Hate Crimes Bill reportedly may get an airing quite soon...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

“Emma McClarkin, of the British Beer and Pub Association, said that the new measures “unfairly” targeted pubs and would eradicate the viability of at least 90 per cent in Tiers 2 and 3. “If these tighter tier restrictions are forced upon us, far more government financial support will be needed to avoid the resulting carnage.”

The Institute of Economic Affairs, the think tank, said that there was “no scientific basis” for insisting that drinks should be served with food. Christopher Snowdon, its head of lifestyle economics, said that Tier 2 restrictions were “a death sentence for countless pubs and restaurants”.

Is there an anti-booze sentiment in play maybe? The idea that people just drinking get pissed, forget there's a pandemic on and start horsing around?
    Fewer people can eat (or afford to buy and waste) a pub meal in half a dozen establishments in an evening than can have a drink or two in the same number of establishments. People moving from venue to venue are a much bigger risk than those who stay in one place, both in terms of becoming infected and the number of people they infect.
    In larger town centres maybe, but not in smaller towns or villages where are only one or max three pubs. And if there are two or even, three and one is the one you don't go to......like me and the Conservative Club...... you only go to one and stay there for as long as you want to drink.
    No, if you've got 3 pubs and one is the Conservative Club you've got 2 pubs.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

From today’s Times

No, if you've got 3 pubs and one is the Conservative Club you've got 2 pubs.
    Go to Ludlow! More Conservative Clubs than Range Rovers and it still feels like they're short.
This discussion has been closed.