Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Betting against the GOP looks to be the value bet in Georgia – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,707
    DavidL said:

Surely Trump has a better object for a pardon than that?
    Starting with something deserving, and moving down, I guess.
  • Options
    Feeling pretty bleak tonight. Despite vaccine news we are looking at three more months or even four without pubs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Greens at 6% on that poll, if they repeated that at the next general election it would be their highest ever voteshare at a general election.

6% of 2019 Labour voters now voting Green with Yougov, more than the 5% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Labour.

7% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Brexit Party.
    Tactical voting and the SNP's antipathy to Johnson should see Kier over the line.

What a relief that'll be!
    Yes, on that poll Starmer would become PM with SNP support but the Tories would almost certainly still have won a majority of seats in England. That would be the first time English voters have not got the party they voted for as the UK government since 1974
    In reality the Greens would be unlikely to poll above 3% in a GE.
    Nor the Brexit Party poll 4% but even if most of the Green vote went back to Labour the Tories would still likely have won a majority of seats in England
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Cheering myself up by listening to Abba's 1981 album The Visitors.

Excellent choice. Although maybe not their most cheerful!

--AS.
    I’m glad it’s not just me enjoys their later music.

Not quite sure why I prefer it to their earlier stuff - I think I just prefer the emotional depth and maturity. Yes, the earlier songs are brighter but I also sometimes feel they’re a bit superficial.
  • Options

And now time for the dickhead questions....I presume we will get ones about MP pay and bullying...

Why wasn't this vaccine programme started sooner?
  • Options
    Didn't realise this "presidential pardon" caper involved three turkeys.
  • Options

Feeling pretty bleak tonight. Despite vaccine news we are looking at three more months or even four without pubs.

I'm sure we can cope.

Just imagine the partying and pub visits next summer once we're all vaccinated.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,738

Are you talking about a specific area? I thought Johnson just said they're going to be opening in most places.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    edited November 2020
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

"Soldiers" is the track I love - it takes me back to when many thought the Russians were going to invade Poland in early 1981 and what the response of the west would have been (if any).
  • Options

The public seem to agree with the government on that

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1330951312314347520?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Aerosol Airways,
  • Options
    This is a terrible idea in a year of terrible ideas.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Or as Biden calls him, 'the young whippersnapper'.
    Its quite bizarre how US government and politics is dominated by people who would be regarded as clapped out has-beens elsewhere in the western world.

Perhaps its some yearning for the 1990s and American dominance.
    To be fair, we have a parliament with one chamber specifically designed for clapped out has-beens.
    We do and its used to remove the clapped out has-beens from anything that might involve work.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Greens at 6% on that poll, if they repeated that at the next general election it would be their highest ever voteshare at a general election.

6% of 2019 Labour voters now voting Green with Yougov, more than the 5% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Labour.

7% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Brexit Party.
    Tactical voting and the SNP's antipathy to Johnson should see Kier over the line.

What a relief that'll be!
    Yes, on that poll Starmer would become PM with SNP support but the Tories would almost certainly still have won a majority of seats in England. That would be the first time English voters have not got the party they voted for as the UK government since 1974
    In reality the Greens would be unlikely to poll above 3% in a GE.
    Nor the Brexit Party poll 4% but even if most of the Green vote went back to Labour the Tories would still likely have won a majority of seats in England
    I agree - though I was not addressing that point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

--AS.

Not quite sure why I prefer it to their earlier stuff - I think I just prefer the emotional depth and maturity. Yes, the earlier songs are brighter but I also sometimes feel they’re a bit superficial.
    Oh, definitely. Their background really was of superficial pop, but as their lives became more complex the melancholy -- which was already present, but suppressed -- found its voice. I'm still struck by the power of some of their music, 40 years on.

--AS
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,843
    edited November 2020
    MPs serving continuously from election (Including by-elections for that Parliament)

1974: 1
    1979: 2
    1983: 8
    1987: 3
    1992: 17
    1997: 37
    2001: 24
    2005: 57
    2010: 138
    2015: 141
    2017: 61
    2019: 154

Newbies the biggest group, surprisingly (to me).

Congressman serving continuously from year of election, using UK GE periods
    Pre 1974: 1
    1974-79: 1
    1979-83: 4
    1983-87:4
    1987-92:9
    1992-97:33
    1997-01:16
    2001-05:34
    2005-10: 41
    2010-15: 134
    2015-17: 52
    2017-19: 98
    Post 2019: 3

So about double % of Congressman at least pre 1992 vs MPs pre 1992? But still not many either way. More frequent elections mean long stay in the House difficult?

55% of MPs been there just over 5 years but only 35% of Congressman?

I conclude this means...nothing. I'm not an amateur statistician, so don't trust my figures.

This is very quick looking at wiki page - looks like some people not served continuously from these dates, but get seniority if they were previously in Congress
  • Options

And now time for the dickhead questions....I presume we will get ones about MP pay and bullying...

Out of curiosity, if you were left £5 million of pure gold, would you complain about its weight?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:
    Aerosol Airways,
    All the seats renumbered as C19
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:
    Aerosol Airways,
    I misread that as Arsehole Airways, which would be apt for Dellingpole.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

--AS.

Oh, definitely. Their background really was of superficial pop, but as their lives became more complex the melancholy -- which was already present, but suppressed -- found its voice. I'm still struck by the power of some of their music, 40 years on.

--AS
    When All Is Said and Done is just a brilliant song.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

I remember reading about the dosing error, but I didn't realise it led to this.
    It’s brilliant isn’t it, the world saved by an error.
    After that business of the world being screwed because of a wrong turn and a sandwich in 1914, the world owes us one.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Or as Biden calls him, 'the young whippersnapper'.
    Its quite bizarre how US government and politics is dominated by people who would be regarded as clapped out has-beens elsewhere in the western world.

Perhaps its some yearning for the 1990s and American dominance.
    To be fair, we have a parliament with one chamber specifically designed for clapped out has-beens.
    Outrageous. As has often been noted, whilst there are plenty of has-beens there, a lot are never-beens.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MPs serving continuously from electionIncluding by-elections for that Parliament)

So about double % of Congressman at least pre 1992 vs MPs pre 1992? But still not many either way. More frequent elections mean long stay in the House difficult?

I conclude this means...nothing. I'm not an amateur statistician, so don't trust my figures.

This is very quick looking at wiki page - looks like some people not served continuously from these dates, but get seniority if they were previously in Congress)

Indeed, the average age of a member of the US House of Representatives in 2018 was 57, the median age of an MP elected in 2019 was between 50-59.
    https://www.senate.gov/CRSpubs/b8f6293e-c235-40fd-b895-6474d0f8e809.pdf
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7483/

The average age of a US Senator was 61 in 2018, the average age of a member of the House of Lords was even older at 70 in 2019.

https://www.senate.gov/CRSpubs/b8f6293e-c235-40fd-b895-6474d0f8e809.pdf
    https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-lords-faqs/lords-members/
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:
    Aerosol Airways,
    I misread that as Arsehole Airways, which would be apt for Dellingpole.
    I happy with that interpretation.
  • Options

It started as soon as possible.

There's plenty to criticise Boris Johnson and the government over Covid-19 but they've handled the vaccine angle absolutely brilliantly, actually world beating.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MPs serving continuously from election (Including by-elections for that Parliament)

This is very quick looking at wiki page - looks like some people not served continuously from these dates, but get seniority if they were previously in Congress

Remember also that to progress in a political career here you need to stay in Parliament, while the House is usually only a stepping stone for ambitious politicians in the US - to the Senate, or a governorship.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

--AS.

--AS
    The song that's playing in my head, since we've been talking about The Visitors, is Like An Angel Passing Through My Room. Such a simple song, with the constant ticking of a clock. I remember listening to it as a child and wondering what it would be like to be old and reminiscing about the past, rather than looking forward.

Now due to ill health I'm aging prematurely, fearing that my career is drawing to a close (all too soon), knowing that my best days are behind me. And yet the child me was only a few months ago, or so it seems.

I close my eyes
    and my twilight images go by
    All too soon
    like an angel passing through my room.

--AS
  • Options
    DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1330862292410511362

Isn't New Year bigger in Scotland than Xmas?

Much bigger
    I would actually say not. Depends on your age. 18-25 it probably is. Before and after that I would say not.
    It's very much in Hogmanay's no' like it used to be territory (which it isn't). The Edinburgh moneymaking jamboree was cancelled a while back and presumably any similar public gatherings are the same, which I guess mainly involves 18-25 year olds.

No doubt we'll still have Jackie Bird and Only An Excuse, worse luck.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

No, it's a great idea - in practise for Universal Basic Income.
    Thing is £50 or even £20 would probably work - and be worth it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What an absolute thicko Ian Blackford is.

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1330918524093665280

The chap has been living in Scotland in the North of Scotland since September.

I presume he has nothing better to do than police social media for possible rule breakers?
    When was the last time Blackford talked about Margaret Ferrier?
    Back in October on Good Mornding Scotland, I think - and pretty strongly.
    But he's harassing this poor innocent chap while not saying anything about Ferrier for a month?

Shameful.
    Well, I haven't looked - but she hasn't been a SNP MP for a month, so not much more he could say after what he did say [edit].
    AIUI, she has had the whip withdrawn but is still a member of the SNP. So her situation is analogous to Corbyn’s.

So there is still more that could and should be done. For bringing the party into disrepute, surely she should have been expelled?
    Haven't looked at it in detail, but she isn't a member, in the sense that she is reported as 'suspended from the party' by eg tyhe Herald while, presumably, waiting on the police investigation? Which is fair enough. There is such a thing as due process.

Interesting that the SNP aren't using the powers Parliament now has to conceal its Members from public scrutiny when they get charged by the police. And I should hope [edit] not too.
    No. She has only been suspended from the PSNP. Not from the party as a whole. Sturgeon claims she has no power to do that.
    Sturgeon claims this because she, in fact, does not have the power to do so. Only the Disciplinary Committee can do so. And even then only after appeal.
    Never interrupt a PB Scotch expert in full flow.
  • Options

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What an absolute thicko Ian Blackford is.

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1330918524093665280

The chap has been living in Scotland in the North of Scotland since September.

I presume he has nothing better to do than police social media for possible rule breakers?
    When was the last time Blackford talked about Margaret Ferrier?
    Back in October on Good Mornding Scotland, I think - and pretty strongly.
    But he's harassing this poor innocent chap while not saying anything about Ferrier for a month?

Shameful.
    Well, I haven't looked - but she hasn't been a SNP MP for a month, so not much more he could say after what he did say [edit].
    AIUI, she has had the whip withdrawn but is still a member of the SNP. So her situation is analogous to Corbyn’s.

So there is still more that could and should be done. For bringing the party into disrepute, surely she should have been expelled?
    Haven't looked at it in detail, but she isn't a member, in the sense that she is reported as 'suspended from the party' by eg tyhe Herald while, presumably, waiting on the police investigation? Which is fair enough. There is such a thing as due process.

Interesting that the SNP aren't using the powers Parliament now has to conceal its Members from public scrutiny when they get charged by the police. And I should hope [edit] not too.
    No. She has only been suspended from the PSNP. Not from the party as a whole. Sturgeon claims she has no power to do that.
    Sturgeon claims this because she, in fact, does not have the power to do so. Only the Disciplinary Committee can do so. And even then only after appeal.
    Never interrupt a PB Scotch expert in full flow.
    Indeed no. You all add greatly to the gaiety of the site.

Not as much as my awesome punning of course.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,949
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Someone posted that yesterday, or a version of it rather, that said it should be $1500, and people said it was good (I think)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The public seem to agree with the government on that

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1330951312314347520?s=20
    I am quite looking forward to wrapping up warm, like I seem to remember doing in the old days but don't anymore, and going to stand outside having a few drinks
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

The lockdown is the biggest terrible idea of the year.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Someone posted that yesterday, or a version of it rather, that said it should be $1500, and people said it was good (I think)
    If I want to do my job, I will have to get this vaccine.

I get quite well paid for my job. I’m not totally clear why I should be given more money on top of that.

It might be an incentive for those in poorly paid roles to get it - but should we be bribing them to cajole them into doing something they’re reluctant to do, even on public health grounds? I can see ethical issue with that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

I get quite well paid for my job. I’m not totally clear why I should be given more money on top of that.

It might be an incentive for those in poorly paid roles to get it - but should we be bribing them to cajole them into doing something they’re reluctant to do, even on public health grounds? I can see ethical issue with that.
    Would make me think there was something a bit worrying about it if they paid people to have it
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

--AS.

--AS
    The song that's playing in my head, since we've been talking about The Visitors, is Like An Angel Passing Through My Room. Such a simple song, with the constant ticking of a clock. I remember listening to it as a child and wondering what it would be like to be old and reminiscing about the past, rather than looking forward.

Now due to ill health I'm aging prematurely, fearing that my career is drawing to a close (all too soon), knowing that my best days are behind me. And yet the child me was only a few months ago, or so it seems.

I close my eyes
    All too soon

--AS
    Golly, hope it's just a passing mood (though I sympathise)...
  • Options
    Hmmm. I wonder if he isn’t making the same mistake as Obama and surrounding himself with too many older people. Harris, in her 60s, Blinken, 58, Mayorkas, 61, now Yellen, 74.

I hope he brings through some people in their late 40s/early 50s in other roles.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    What’s this rumour of Rishi giving everyone free sixty quid off magic money tree just for having had to work from home one day?

Just a rumour to wind up Ian Duncan Smith?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Well at least you kept an open mind on it.
  • Options
    A real youngster - only 74.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    ydoethur said:

Hmmm. I wonder if he isn’t making the same mistake as Obama and surrounding himself with too many older people. Harris, in her 60s, Blinken, 58, Mayorkas, 61, now Yellen, 74.

I hope he brings through some people in their late 40s/early 50s in other roles.
    It's also been noticed in France that he's picked several fluent French speakers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Well at least you kept an open mind on it.
    The corrupt useless inchoate system was given a fair trial and then found guilty.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No room for Buttegieg? I suppose he lacks in the achievement department.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I would pay good money to see a judge finally snap and jail some of these muppets for filing vexatious lawsuits and generally being stupid arseholes.
  • Options
    Good choice.
  • Options
    O/T

Now listening to Graceland by Paul Simon (1986).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

VP elect Harris is 56
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

VP elect Harris is 56
    So she is. My mistake. For some reason I thought she was 63.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    gealbhan said:

What’s this rumour of Rishi giving everyone free sixty quid off magic money tree just for having had to work from home one day?

Is this the working from home tax relief? I claimed that last month, as I had to buy a decent office chair to work at my desk for long periods. Worth it, even if it's just a little bit extra.
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Would make me think there was something a bit worrying about it if they paid people to have it
    Wouldn't it need to be means-tested? Some people wouldn't get out of bed for £500.
  • Options

Did you get this exercised when Trump appointed three septuagenarians to his first cabinet?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

There's plenty to criticise Boris Johnson and the government over Covid-19 but they've handled the vaccine angle absolutely brilliantly, actually world beating.
    Although I absolutely do agree, can we sort of limit the praise on this one until such time as they are actually jabbing people, preferably in decent numbers? Lest we go and jinx it now, or anything like that.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    I've just cast my ballot in the West Yorkshire mayoral Labour selection.

1 Hugh Goulbourne
    2 Tracy Brabin
    3 Susan Hinchcliffe

I voted for the candidate who mentioned CCS and hydrogen in their manifesto.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

--AS.

--AS

I close my eyes
    All too soon

--AS
    Know what you mean about the simplicity.

The lyrics for the following year’s The Day Before You Came are, read in isolation, utterly banal. Combined with the music they are somehow magical.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

I've never really looked at the Senate seal carefully before. The fasces gives one pause for thought.

I particularly like the dunce cap at the top. Red dunce cap, no less ;)

Tsk, does no one learn about Enlightenment-era republican symbology any more? Prior to Mussolini hijacking them, fasces symbolized republicanism, or maybe even more broadly civic virtue (they appear in some monarchical contexts e.g. in the insignia of the Spanish Guardia Civil). They do appear in several Latin American national emblems, including Cuba's, and in many other contexts in the US, such as behind the Speaker's podium in the House of Representatives.

The cap is the Phyrgian "cap of liberty", given in Roman times to emancipated slaves on their manumission, and later became adopted as a symbol of liberty during the American and French Revolutions.
    Hello - referring to a thread yesterday, I am semi-interested in farming, particularly livestock, and I wondered if you had some reasons why American beef is superior to British? I'm not arguing that it isn't (never had American beef to my knowledge), just interested.
    No idea really. Premium beef here is often marketed as "grass-fed". I had always assumed that cows only ate grass anyway, but perhaps not. I don't recall ever seeing that phrase in the UK, but I left nearly a decade ago now so my memory may be faulty.
    In the US most cattle are fed on soya and grain. That makes the meat fattier and more unhealthy.

I agree with you about the very best US beef, though. The best steaks I've ever had have been fancy USDA-aged beef. In an upmarket steak restaurant, go for the longest-aged available.
    Aberdeen Angus at Gleneagles

The Hereford steak at Heston's in Knightsbridge

Are two good British rivals for the Best Steak Ever
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    RH1992 said:

gealbhan said:

Is this the working from home tax relief? I claimed that last month, as I had to buy a decent office chair to work at my desk for long periods. Worth it, even if it's just a little bit extra.
    Yes.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2020/04/martin-lewis--working-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

So it’s true. They will pay for some more bubbles.

I don’t know why people keep knocking this government.

• Options

Although I absolutely do agree, can we sort of limit the praise on this one until such time as they are actually jabbing people, preferably in decent numbers? Lest we go and jinx it now, or anything like that.
    Oh I know, as I've noted a few times before it is likely Dido Harding or someone like her will be in charge of the vaccine rollout and it'll be a disaster as they accidentally inject us with Covid-19.
  • Options

Did you get this exercised when Trump appointed three septuagenarians to his first cabinet?
    I don't recall them being a great success.

But that's standard with the US gerontocracy.

If you want to see another exhibit from that generation I'll offer you Rudy Giuliani.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    I would pay good money to see a judge finally snap and jail some of these muppets for filing vexatious lawsuits and generally being stupid arseholes.
    There are already over 2 million in their jails, and it seems around 74 million more that fall into your "stupid arseholes" category.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1330862292410511362

Isn't New Year bigger in Scotland than Xmas?

Xmas for family, New Year for friends normally isn't it ?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

I’m listening to Mahler, Symphony No.8 (1906), Chicago Symphony Orchestra, cond. Sir George Solti (1971).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,265
    ydoethur said:

Less of the "older people" please. Everyone knows 58 is the new 21!

Ooh, my back!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    gealbhan said:

RH1992 said:

gealbhan said:

Yes.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2020/04/martin-lewis--working-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

So it’s true. They will pay for some more bubbles.

I don’t know why people keep knocking this government.

It's only tax relief. Doesn't cover the cost of working from home - although people might be better off than if they were commuting for which you cannot claim.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    There are already over 2 million in their jails, and it seems around 74 million more that fall into your "stupid arseholes" category.
    Even if most of those voters support the vexatious and meritless challenges, it's a bit of a leap to suggest all of them are as bad as those pushing nonsense legal claims, which I don't think was the intention. Not all Trump backers are Giuliani.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

And who can blame you? Quality which hasn't aged.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:
    I believe a few Leavers have also said similar things/condemned the decision to strip her of her nationality.

What's your point?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Why? A bit of helicopter money tied to a public good. Should encourage the youngsters who might be the least likely to take it. The quicker more people take it the quicker the economy gets back to normal.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Also there is nothing new about being able to claim expenses for working from home. They have increased the standard amount from £4 to £6 a week though. I'm guessing people's heating bills should be rocketing up.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    I was thinking of the lawyers, actually, but if you insist...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:
    The law is for everyone, not just nice people, but I am pretty relaxed if the law allows what the government has done (though the law on who is what nationality, even if they don't realise it, is pretty convoluted, as some Australian politicians learned a few years back).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Some Rule 11 sanctions would be appropriate.
    Though for political reasons probably won’t be applied.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308

LadyG said:
    I believe a few Leavers have also said similar things/condemned the decision to strip her of her nationality.

What's your point?
    The point is that his corkscrew still works
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It's also been noticed in France that he's picked several fluent French speakers.
    Awww, bless the French. Time was French was THE language of diplomacy, and high culture, spoken by anyone with a decent education, and used fluently as a lingua franca across the world. Also, of course, THE language of the EU (which is one reason the French were traditionally so keen on the EU - as a bulwark of French culture, especially language, then we joined and fucked it up)

Now they are pitiably grateful for some decent and temporary French speakers on the presidential team of a demented 98 year old US leader, even as China officially tweets in English.

There haven't been many reasons to feel triumphantly English in the last decades, but the absolute triumph of English is one of them. We won. And how.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:
    Jihadi Jack: IS recruit Jack Letts loses UK citizenship

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49385376

Note sure you can get much more white and middle class can you? And they also did his parents for "funding terrorism" too for sending him money to boot.
  • Options

LadyG said:

What's your point?
    This tweeter virtue signals of Remainerism, and the same pathology is evident here.

Shamima Begum is a loathsome facilitator of terrorism, rape, sex slavery and murder - which she ADMITS - she says she still hates Britain and the West and her only regret is that ISIS didn't win.

Let her rot in hell. Or, rather, let her be tried and (probably) executed in the lands where she freely enabled murder: Syria or Iraq.

A lot of Nazis were recruited in their mid teens. It is a vulnerable age. But if they remained unrepentant Nazis into their 20s then they weren't shown much overt mercy. Same here

Maybe the best thing would be to drone her
  • Options

I don't recall them being a great success.

But that's standard with the US gerontocracy.

If you want to see another exhibit from that generation I'll offer you Rudy Giuliani.
    Yellen is a very safe pair of hands, and very smart.
    Providing she isn’t dimmed by age, it’s a very good choice indeed.

And succinct.
    When asked if she believes Trump has "a grasp of economic policy," Yellen said "No, I do not."
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

What's your point?
    This tweeter virtue signals of Remainerism, and the same pathology is evident here.

Shamima Begum is a loathsome facilitator of terrorism, rape, sex slavery and murder - which she ADMITS - she says she still hates Britain and the West and her only regret is that ISIS didn't win.

Let her rot in hell. Or, rather, let her be tried and (probably) executed in the lands where she freely enabled murder: Syria or Iraq.

A lot of Nazis were recruited in their mid teens. It is a vulnerable age. But if they remained unrepentant Nazis into their 20s then they weren't shown much overt mercy. Same here

You should see what some Leavers tweet.

I remember some bellends on here, some chap called SeanT and MikeK, wanted to deport every Muslim in the UK to Madagascar after the Glasgow bin lorry 'terror attack'.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Awww, bless the French. Time was French was THE language of diplomacy, and high culture, spoken by anyone with a decent education, and used fluently as a lingua franca across the world. Also, of course, THE language of the EU (which is one reason the French were traditionally so keen on the EU - as a bulwark of French culture, especially language, then we joined and fucked it up)

Now they are pitiably grateful for some decent and temporary French speakers on the presidential team of a demented 98 year old US leader, even as China officially tweets in English.

There haven't been many reasons to feel triumphantly English in the last decades, but the absolute triumph of English is one of them. We won. And how.
    Bizarre sources of national pride:

France - the French language
    UK - the NHS

any others ?
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

What's your point?

You should see what some Leavers tweet.

I remember some bellends on here, some chap called SeanT and MikeK, wanted to deport every Muslim in the UK to Madagascar after the Glasgow bin lorry 'terror attack'.
    Idiots. Well done you for banning them FOREVER. Awful people
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

That’s a fantastic album!
  • Options
    Labour's chief whip has asked ex-party leader Jeremy Corbyn to "unequivocally" apologise for saying the scale of anti-Semitism in the party had been "overstated for political reasons".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55051850
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

What's your point?
    Worst euphemism ever.
  • Options

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?
    Viewing figures for Royal weddings?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

What's your point?
    Not if he keeps on at the gin...
  • Options

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?
    That's a totally brilliant question. Things which countries are proud of but.... why?

America: food - it's mostly terrible
    Scotland: friendly people - OMG no
    Spain: sociable Med warmth, no they are frosty (unlike Italians)
    England: good governance - well, here we are
    Germany: sausages :(oddly boring)
    Canada: Tim Hortons

• Options

Labour's chief whip has asked ex-party leader Jeremy Corbyn to "unequivocally" apologise for saying the scale of anti-Semitism in the party had been "overstated for political reasons".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55051850

I don't think he has a problem in apologising fot it. The problem is he won't mean it, and will contradict that apology later - he clearly believes it was overstated for political reasons, even as he knows he is not supposed to say so but could not resist when the EHRC report came out.
  • Options
    ATLANTA — The second recount of Georgia’s election results requested by the Trump campaign could begin as early as Tuesday, a state election official said.

NYTimes
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?
    That's a totally brilliant question. Things which countries are proud of but.... why?

Timmy HoHos....that is a mystery.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

America. It's Constitution.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Why? A bit of helicopter money tied to a public good. Should encourage the youngsters who might be the least likely to take it. The quicker more people take it the quicker the economy gets back to normal.
    Why are they paying people £500 to take it? There must be something wrong with it etc etc...
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Add German beer to the German sausages.
This discussion has been closed.