Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Betting against the GOP looks to be the value bet in Georgia – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm. I wonder if he isn’t making the same mistake as Obama and surrounding himself with too many older people. Harris, in her 60s, Blinken, 58, Mayorkas, 61, now Yellen, 74.

I hope he brings through some people in their late 40s/early 50s in other roles.
    It's also been noticed in France that he's picked several fluent French speakers.
    Awww, bless the French. Time was French was THE language of diplomacy, and high culture, spoken by anyone with a decent education, and used fluently as a lingua franca across the world. Also, of course, THE language of the EU (which is one reason the French were traditionally so keen on the EU - as a bulwark of French culture, especially language, then we joined and fucked it up)

Now they are pitiably grateful for some decent and temporary French speakers on the presidential team of a demented 98 year old US leader, even as China officially tweets in English.

There haven't been many reasons to feel triumphantly English in the last decades, but the absolute triumph of English is one of them. We won. And how.
    Bizarre sources of national pride:

France - the French language
    UK - the NHS

any others ?
    That's a totally brilliant question. Things which countries are proud of but.... why?

America: food - it's mostly terrible
    Scotland: friendly people - OMG no
    Spain: sociable Med warmth, no they are frosty (unlike Italians)
    England: good governance - well, here we are
    Germany: sausages :(oddly boring)
    Canada: Tim Hortons

America. It's Constitution.
    That's pretty pointed. Yes. You're right. And their worship of the Constitution may fuck them up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299
    edited November 2020

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm. I wonder if he isn’t making the same mistake as Obama and surrounding himself with too many older people. Harris, in her 60s, Blinken, 58, Mayorkas, 61, now Yellen, 74.

I hope he brings through some people in their late 40s/early 50s in other roles.
    It's also been noticed in France that he's picked several fluent French speakers.
    Awww, bless the French. Time was French was THE language of diplomacy, and high culture, spoken by anyone with a decent education, and used fluently as a lingua franca across the world. Also, of course, THE language of the EU (which is one reason the French were traditionally so keen on the EU - as a bulwark of French culture, especially language, then we joined and fucked it up)

Now they are pitiably grateful for some decent and temporary French speakers on the presidential team of a demented 98 year old US leader, even as China officially tweets in English.

There haven't been many reasons to feel triumphantly English in the last decades, but the absolute triumph of English is one of them. We won. And how.

UK - the NHS

any others ?
    That's a totally brilliant question. Things which countries are proud of but.... why?

Add German beer to the German sausages.
    For Italy it would be cars. Some great designs, provided you don't mind the breakdowns.

And you can put food down for Greece as well.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

I was going to suggest that but Americans can't even agree what its supposed to mean now.

So they're all proud of their own interpretation of it.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Know what you mean about Tim Hortons but they did once rescue me in an edge of the world situation in a blizzard in Toronto, so they get a pass from me.

Agree the rest though.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    kle4 said:

Labour's chief whip has asked ex-party leader Jeremy Corbyn to "unequivocally" apologise for saying the scale of anti-Semitism in the party had been "overstated for political reasons".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55051850

I don't think he has a problem in apologising fot it. The problem is he won't mean it, and will contradict that apology later - he clearly believes it was overstated for political reasons, even as he knows he is not supposed to say so but could not resist when the EHRC report came out.
    Chief Whip a job so dirty, that Nick Brown was happy to take it under Ed Miliband, Jeremy Corbyn and Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    We got an Amazon box of goodies* for having our flu jab this year, and a free pen at my Trust.

*handcream etc so not that exciting!
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Yeah it's dull.

The weird thing is maybe the opposites are true. As an Englishman I was proud of my governance, the civil service, etc, we may have screwed up in multiple ways but I always felt that the absolute elite of the Establishment was run by people with brains and minds - they might be posh twats (or hopefully not) - but they were good.

Brexit and now Covid has completely demolished this conception, for me.

So maybe the Germans were proud of their sausages but despaired, through the 20th century, of their government, but now they should be proud of their capable, boring, efficient government but abandon the idea they have amazing sausages, coz they don't. A decent currywurst is just an industrial frankfurter in cheap curry sauce (nice, but not something to shout about)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

That's pretty pointed. Yes. You're right. And their worship of the Constitution may fuck them up.
    It's had a pretty impressive run as far as documents go and still has much to recommend it, but you shouldn't make gods of men, or of their words and intentions, not forever anyway.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Was a wonderful document when produced. Now looks extremely dated. Originally conceived to have a Consitutional Convention regularly to update it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Was a wonderful document when produced. Now looks extremely dated. Originally conceived to have a Consitutional Convention regularly to update it.
    It's become a kind of religious text where the main political fights are about who gets to interpret it.
  • Options
    It's very unfortunate that politics in the USA is now at the point where each side thinks they have to win to 'save' the country, not merely do a better job running it. We're not a million miles from that ourselves.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Yeah it's dull.

The weird thing is maybe the opposites are true. As an Englishman I was proud of my governance, the civil service, etc, we may have screwed up in multiple ways but I always felt that the absolute elite of the Establishment was run by people with brains and minds - they might be posh twats (or hopefully not) - but they were good.

So maybe the Germans were proud of their sausages but despaired, through the 20th century, of their government, but now they should be proud of their capable, boring, efficient government but abandon the idea they have amazing sausages, coz they don't. A decent currywurst is just an industrial frankfurter in cheap curry sauce (nice, but not something to shout about)
    The Currywurst may now be a German staple, but it's our fault, as it dates from the late 40s occupation by British troops, who gave them the taste for it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

For Italy it would be cars. Some great designs, provided you don't mind the breakdowns.

And you can put food down for Greece as well.
    Reminds me of an American joke about British cars.

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?

A: Because Lucas also make refrigerators!"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,670
    dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

It’s its Constitution.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's very unfortunate that politics in the USA is now at the point where each side thinks they have to win to 'save' the country, not merely do a better job running it. We're not a million miles from that ourselves.
    I blame William Hague
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kle4 said:

When you get politics portrayed as always black and white, as it is nowadays, as opposed to various shades of grey, this is what you get.

If both sides believe the other is evil, thinking you are saving the country is the logical conclusion.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

England: stiff upper lips, understatement
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Trump genuinely thinks that he is a great man - intelligent, perceptive, great judgement etc. Yet by his own admission many of the people who have worked for him, who he has chosen, and then he has sacked, have been uttterly useless and/or mad.

I wonder why he thinks that is.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

I don't think we're all that good at queuing to be honest. Maybe it's a British thing and the rest of the UK is so great at it it makes up for it?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Those are both British traits, rightly or wrongly.
  • Options
    Trump's people are telling GA voters NOT to support the GOP run-off candidates as they haven't done enough to support Trump's fraudulent claims.

Wow.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Yeah it's dull.

Reputations seem to lag the reality by several decades, if not longer.

A country can be at the cutting edge, but still be full of pessimistic people whose view of the world is stuck in the past, but then when it goes into decline, the effect reverses itself.
  • Options
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Literally the first entry on Google

understatement
    /ʌndəˈsteɪtm(ə)nt,ˈʌndəsteɪtm(ə)nt/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    noun: understatement; plural noun: understatements

the presentation of something as being smaller or less good or important than it really is.
    "a master of English understatement"
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Non-apology? ‘I apologise ... for my earlier post, which I have deleted’. That does rather look like an apology to me?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

Trump's people are telling GA voters NOT to support the GOP run-off candidates as they haven't done enough to support Trump's fraudulent claims.

Wow.

Exactly what you'd expect from Trump and his team.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Trump genuinely thinks that he is a great man - intelligent, perceptive, great judgement etc. Yet by his own admission many of the people who have worked for him, who he has chosen, and then he has sacked, have been uttterly useless and/or mad.

Do we have to cross the Atlantic to consider such a question?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing (and this is purely speculative) that he thinks it's someone else's fault.

He's a very extreme version of a trait most of us have to some degree (and which is arguably quite healthy in moderate doses) - believing good things that happen to us are our own doing, and bad things are either unlucky or down to other people.
  • Options
    Many in France pride themselves on its pronounced secularism. However, given that France is the world capital of hyperchondria, and of industrial and civil unrest, the banishing of God from the public sphere doesn't seem to have resulted in a more rational, ordered, or happy society.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Yeah it's dull.

The Currywurst may now be a German staple, but it's our fault, as it dates from the late 40s occupation by British troops, who gave them the taste for it.
    Currywurst is hideous. Worse than pineapple pizza or Radiohead.
  • Options

Non-apology? ‘I apologise ... for my earlier post, which I have deleted’. That does rather look like an apology to me?
    Giving his entire fortune away followed by seppuku live on twitter is the only authentic form of apology.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

The first sentence frames the context for it, and undermines it, as well as implying he did it because unknown constituents want him to jump on people like that so passing on responsibility for how he chose to act. It's easy to read it as 'I was standing up for my for my constituents who raised stuff like this with me, so even when I get it wrong, it's not my fault for jumping on this guy unnecessarily'.

It passes muster as an apology, though he'll clearly continue to challenge people about the same issue (since that is standing up for his constituents) and risk getting it similarly wrong.

Storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Are there any English people who haven't been insulted by a Glasgow taxi driver for no reason...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

Perhaps it's a non-non-apology.

Blackford has failed to grasp even the basic essence of a non-apology, namely the '...if anyone has taken offence...' clause.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing (and this is purely speculative) that he thinks it's someone else's fault.

He's a very extreme version of a trait most of us have to some degree (and which is arguably quite healthy in moderate doses) - believing good things that happen to us are our own doing, and bad things are either unlucky or down to other people.
    Oh I don't doubt it, but when he picks someone it's incredible that even he can divorce himself from responsibility so totally. Sure, you can be unlucky in your pick a couple of times, but as many times as him?
  • Options
    Do we need an Australian style covid system? 🤔

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1330984331960086528?s=19
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Yeah it's dull.

"Taste for it"? Wa-hey! That sounds terribly rude!
  • Options
    The governor of the Bank of England, Andrew Bailey, has warned that the economic cost of a no-deal Brexit would be bigger in the long term than the damage caused by Covid-19.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Giving his entire fortune away followed by seppuku live on twitter is the only authentic form of apology.
    I am entirely flexible about this. There’s no need for it to be on Twitter.
  • Options

Wow.

FAKE REPUBLICANS!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

Perhaps it's a non-non-apology.

Blackford has failed to grasp even the basic essence of a non-apology, namely the '...if anyone has taken offence...' clause.
    Yes, even some masters of the art have been forgetting it recently. Patel said ‘I’m sorry that I upset people’ at one point, though she did manage to incorporate the ‘if I have ...’ formulation in most of her interviews.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    Michigan just certified 3-0. The one who was mouthing off (Shinkle) abstained. Hilarious.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

Are there any English people who haven't been insulted by a Glasgow taxi driver for no reason...
    Only the ones who aren't c*nts, which I will allow is a very considerable number.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

the presentation of something as being smaller or less good or important than it really is.
    I don't see what that has to do with anything. I am not aware of 18th century England being farmed for its use of understatement - my understanding is that the opposite is true. The tendency to understate originated (I imagine) in the 19th century, and is tied in with colonialism, notions of polite behaviour amongst the new industrial classes, the importance placed on hard work, thrift and not showing emotion in public, and were cemented in the early 20th century in the wars. All those things evolved in Britain amongst the British, and Scots influenced it and were influenced by it in turn. There's no language or tradition of understatement present in England that isn't present in Scotland too. When you are able to acknowledge these simple concepts and still support Scottish independence, it will indicate maturity.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

I don't see what that has to do with anything. I am not aware of 18th century England being farmed for its use of understatement - my understanding is that the opposite is true. The tendency to understate originated (I imagine) in the 19th century, and is tied in with colonialism, notions of polite behaviour amongst the new industrial classes, the importance placed on hard work, thrift and not showing emotion in public, and were cemented in the early 20th century in the wars. All those things evolved in Britain amongst the British, and Scots influenced it and were influenced by it in turn. There's no language or tradition of understatement present in England that isn't present in Scotland too. When you are able to acknowledge these simple concepts and still support Scottish independence, it will indicate maturity.
    Britsplainers of Britain to the Jocks are the best 'splainers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am entirely flexible about this. There’s no need for it to be on Twitter.
    I would have thought Tiktok would be better. He could lipsync it to Sorry not Sorry.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSb99YCd/
  • Options
    edited November 2020

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    R4 "At least 70% effective".
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
    :lol:

My point being, the Scots are hardly terrible at it either. If you can find a single example of a phrase of 'English understatement' that isn't also common parlance in Scotland, I'll be not entirely unimpressed.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,804

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.

My point being, the Scots are hardly terrible at it either. If you can find a single example of a phrase of 'English understatement' that isn't also common parlance in Scotland, I'll be not entirely unimpressed.
    Aye, right.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.

Aye, right.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.

Aye, right.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

We’re OK at it, I guess.

Aye, right.
    On you go then.
  • Options
    Apologies for the bizarre triple and double quotes. Is there a mobile browser that Vanilla performs well on? I've got Chrome and Firefox but there are issues with both.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

UK - the NHS

any others ?

understatement
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

vacuous, ahistorical claptrap
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Because of a massive conspiracy against him, obviously.
This discussion has been closed.