Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Betting against the GOP looks to be the value bet in Georgia – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    As I said earlier today the media have been as bad as the politicians in this covid crises and we know have the BBC saying the Oxford vaccine is 70% effective and almost simultaneously Sky saying it is 90% effective

This is just unacceptable
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What an absolute thicko Ian Blackford is.

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1330918524093665280

The chap has been living in Scotland in the North of Scotland since September.

I presume he has nothing better to do than police social media for possible rule breakers?
    When was the last time Blackford talked about Margaret Ferrier?
    Back in October on Good Mornding Scotland, I think - and pretty strongly.
    But he's harassing this poor innocent chap while not saying anything about Ferrier for a month?

Shameful.
    Well, I haven't looked - but she hasn't been a SNP MP for a month, so not much more he could say after what he did say [edit].
    AIUI, she has had the whip withdrawn but is still a member of the SNP. So her situation is analogous to Corbyn’s.

So there is still more that could and should be done. For bringing the party into disrepute, surely she should have been expelled?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

I presume he has nothing better to do than police social media for possible rule breakers?
    But he's harassing this poor innocent chap while not saying anything about Ferrier for a month?

Shameful.
    He's covered himself by framing it as a question rather than an outright accusation, even though it is clearly meant to be the latter.
    He’s a truly nasty human being (who could forget the way he hounded Charles Kennedy?) and not a particularly impressive politician.

It’s frankly disturbing that the SNP have such a talent shortage he’s considered a serious player, and yet they’re still whipping the arses of every other party in Scotland.
  • Options

As I said earlier today the media have been as bad as the politicians in this covid crises and we know have the BBC saying the Oxford vaccine is 70% effective and almost simultaneously Sky saying it is 90% effective

Why? They are quoting the press release.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,814

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.
    Well, I haven't looked - but she hasn't been a SNP MP for a month, so not much more he could say after what he did.
    As an aside do you support Blackford's comments on this photographer
    Don't know enough, and on a quick look, can't ascertain enough about it to say one way or another.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's almost as if he's trying to snitch on this guy.
    Snitches get stitches.
    Or thrown in Minches.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oops, the government doesn't understand a calendar or their own legislation.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1330929294390996992

Technically the word "from" does not necessarily imply "and including", therefore the new guidance could apply from "From and including" 4 December.

However it is more likely a mistake.
    I swear the counting of days causes endless trouble (or days of trouble at least). Calendar day, working day, clear day, clear working day, etc.
    Don't worry the US will invent machines to automate it all and allow us to count days in a much slower time with even greater controversy over the final outcome.
  • Options

Why? They are quoting the press release.
    There used to be a saying about SkyNews - "Never wrong for Long".
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.
    Well, I haven't looked - but she hasn't been a SNP MP for a month, so not much more he could say after what he did.
    Don't know enough, and on a quick look, can't ascertain enough about it to say one way or another.
    He’s behaving like a xenophobic fool, effectively saying English people should fuck off out of Scotland.

But that’s not that surprising, because he is a xenophobic fool.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,359
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I see Lab are off three pts in the latest poll. Not that any poll that is not the General Election particularly matters and one a few years out matters still less but I wonder at what point Lab will be able to stop and oppose the govt.

The Cons will spin everything for the next three years as Covid- or Brexit-related and SKS has slightly got Lab into a Stockholm Syndrome position whereby they are voting with the govt on both Brexit (once a deal is put before parliament and I presume to avoid no deal) and Covid, and hence they have ceded to the govt the initiative in handling these two issues.

Not an easy habit to break.

Yes. It's never too early to start building the narrative of total and utter Tory disaster on every conceivable front. Don't wait. Do it now.
    Don't tell me, tell SKS.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Well then, you're really going to hate penicillin...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.
    Well, I haven't looked - but she hasn't been a SNP MP for a month, so not much more he could say after what he did say [edit].
    AIUI, she has had the whip withdrawn but is still a member of the SNP. So her situation is analogous to Corbyn’s.

So there is still more that could and should be done. For bringing the party into disrepute, surely she should have been expelled?
    Haven't looked at it in detail, but she isn't a member, in the sense that she is reported as 'suspended from the party' by eg tyhe Herald while, presumably, waiting on the police investigation? Which is fair enough. There is such a thing as due process.

Interesting that the SNP aren't using the powers Parliament now has to conceal its Members from public scrutiny when they get charged by the police. And I should hope [edit] not too.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Greens at 6% on that poll, if they repeated that at the next general election it would be their highest ever voteshare at a general election.

6% of 2019 Labour voters now voting Green with Yougov, more than the 5% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Labour.

7% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Brexit Party.
    Tactical voting and the SNP's antipathy to Johnson should see Kier over the line.

What a relief that'll be!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,359
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Oops, the government doesn't understand a calendar or their own legislation.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1330929294390996992

Hmm. It is far from clear but I can't see the guidance saying that. This is what it says:

This COVID-19 Winter Plan ensures the current national restrictions can be lifted on
    2 December.

and

On 2 December, across all of England, regardless of tier:
    a. The stay at home requirement will end, with domestic and international travel
    being permitted again subject to guidance in each tier.
    b. Shops, personal care, gyms and the wider leisure sector will reopen

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/937529/COVID-19_Winter_Plan.pdf

Which doesn't make it clear whether it will be eg. midnight 2nd Dec or midnight 1st Dec. Actually looking at 6.b it seems to say that on Weds 2nd Dec shops will open.
    Shouldn’t it be ‘from Dec 3rd?’
    Nowhere in the document does it say "from Dec 3rd" and that extract above says that on Dec 2nd shopts, etc can open.

On 2 December, across all of England, regardless of tier:
    a. The stay at home requirement will end, with domestic and international travel
    being permitted again subject to guidance in each tier.
    b. Shops, personal care, gyms and the wider leisure sector will reopen
  • Options

I want the other two.
  • Options
    So? Paré invented modern surgical procedure largely because he ran out of oil and had to improvise.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.
    He’s behaving like a xenophobic fool, effectively saying English people should fuck off out of Scotland.

But that’s not that surprising, because he is a xenophobic fool.
    There's a difference between saying that and complaining someone is breaking the travel regulations. But I can't see what is going on anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I presume he has nothing better to do than police social media for possible rule breakers? Unless its his own MPs, then its never saw a thing.
    Anyway the guy is a professional astrophotographer so would be covered by the exception of "travel for work or an activity associated with seeking employment, or to provide voluntary or charitable services, but only where that cannot be done from your home."
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,896
    edited November 2020
    Does that mean you won't take antibiotics either, because they were discovered by accident?

If it works, it works.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.
    He's covered himself by framing it as a question rather than an outright accusation, even though it is clearly meant to be the latter.
    He’s a truly nasty human being (who could forget the way he hounded Charles Kennedy?) and not a particularly impressive politician.

It’s frankly disturbing that the SNP have such a talent shortage he’s considered a serious player, and yet they’re still whipping the arses of every other party in Scotland.
    For someone who pretends he is just a humble Highlands crofter, he also rarely mentions he is a millionaire who made his money as an investment banker with Deutsche Bank which would not go down quite as well with the cybernats
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    MaxPB said:

It's almost as if he's trying to snitch on this guy.
    Very nice shot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

For someone who pretends he is just a humble Highlands crofter, he also rarely mentions he is a millionaire who made his money as an investment banker with Deutsche Bank which would not go down quite as well with the cybernats
    Only Tories are allowed to make money?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

The BBC had Dr Ramasamy on earlier to put them right.

But they probably weren't listening to her.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I presume he has nothing better to do than police social media for possible rule breakers? Unless its his own MPs, then its never saw a thing.
    Anyway the guy is a professional astrophotographer so would be covered by the exception of "travel for work or an activity associated with seeking employment, or to provide voluntary or charitable services, but only where that cannot be done from your home."
    Ah, quite so.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    It's penicillin all over again. Hurrah for British science!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited November 2020

Does that mean you won't take antibiotics either, because they were discovered by accident?

If it works, it works.
    They went through a proper testing procedure, Oxford have rushed the trials.

So I prefer the other two, and am willing to pay for them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

Haven't looked at it in detail, but she isn't a member, in the sense that she is reported as 'suspended from the party' by eg tyhe Herald while, presumably, waiting on the police investigation? Which is fair enough. There is such a thing as due process.

Interesting that the SNP aren't using the powers Parliament now has to conceal its Members from public scrutiny when they get charged by the police. And I should hope [edit] not too.
    No. She has only been suspended from the PSNP. Not from the party as a whole. Sturgeon claims she has no power to do that.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/margaret-ferrier-must-not-be-allowed-back-snp-westminster-fold-3000438

Due process is all well and good, but in this case with multiple shortcomings having been publicly admitted, to not even have started a disciplinary process looks bad.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,843
    edited November 2020

If it works, it works.

Dr Mark Toshner, who has been involved in the trials at sites in Cambridge, said the idea that it took 10 years to trial a vaccine was misleading.

He told the BBC: "Most of the time, it's a lot of nothing."

He describes it as a process of writing grant applications, having them rejected, writing them again, getting approval to do the trial, negotiating with manufacturers, and trying to recruit enough people to take part. It can take years to get from one phase to the next.

"The process is long, not because it needs to be and not because it's safe, but because of the real world," Dr Toshner said.

Safety has not been sacrificed. Instead the unparalleled scientific push to make the trials happen, the droves of people willing to take part, and of course the money blew many of the usual hold-ups aside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55041371

The reports are saying the process has not been rushed, so any allegation it has will need to overcome the assurances made in those reports.
  • Options

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Greens at 6% on that poll, if they repeated that at the next general election it would be their highest ever voteshare at a general election.

6% of 2019 Labour voters now voting Green with Yougov, more than the 5% of 2019 Tory voters now voting Labour.

Tactical voting and the SNP's antipathy to Johnson should see Kier over the line.

Yes, on that poll Starmer would become PM with SNP support but the Tories would almost certainly still have won a majority of seats in England. That would be the first time English voters have not got the party they voted for as the UK government since 1974
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

Only Tories are allowed to make money?
    No but they are less hypocritical about it
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If it works, it works.

Dr Mark Toshner, who has been involved in the trials at sites in Cambridge, said the idea that it took 10 years to trial a vaccine was misleading.

He told the BBC: "Most of the time, it's a lot of nothing."

He describes it as a process of writing grant applications, having them rejected, writing them again, getting approval to do the trial, negotiating with manufacturers, and trying to recruit enough people to take part. It can take years to get from one phase to the next.

"The process is long, not because it needs to be and not because it's safe, but because of the real world," Dr Toshner said.

Safety has not been sacrificed. Instead the unparalleled scientific push to make the trials happen, the droves of people willing to take part, and of course the money blew many of the usual hold-ups aside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55041371

The reports are saying the process has not been rushed, so any allegation it has will need to overcome the assurances made in those reports.
    Indeed, what genuinely scares me is the number of people I see and hear who are reluctant to take the vaccines because they reckon it is Boris Johnson's mates getting rich from the vaccine like all those dodgy deals since Covid-19 struck.
  • Options

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

No. She has only been suspended from the PSNP. Not from the party as a whole. Sturgeon claims she has no power to do that.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/margaret-ferrier-must-not-be-allowed-back-snp-westminster-fold-3000438

Due process is all well and good, but in this case with multiple shortcomings having been publicly admitted, to not even have started a disciplinary process looks bad.
    The wording of that story is rather odd, possibly deliberately. It is actually consistent with the Herald story - that she has been suspended from party membership. This is specxifically confirmed here: https://news.stv.tv/politics/margaret-ferrier-says-she-will-not-resign-over-covid-breaches?top

I suspect she may be claiming temporary mental confusion (which is certainly a pox symptom). So toi cut her would be rather anti-mental healthist, I suppose.
  • Options
    2020 is the year that France died.

There's only two things France should host, an invasion and decent restaurants, now the latter will soon be gone.

https://twitter.com/McDoFr_Newsroom/status/1323674741467680768
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Evening all :)

Away from vaccinating, in America they are still counting.

Biden's lead over Trump has extended to 6,127,000 votes - 79,804,534 to 73,777,380 as of 15 minutes ago.

Most states are now reporting 99 or 100% counted.

The exceptions now are:

Washington DC (stuck at 95% since last Friday)
    Illinois (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maine (92%)
    Maryland (97%)
    Massachusetts (95%)
    New York (84%
    Ohio (97%)

I'm pretty sure Biden will break 80 million votes and extend his lead over Trump to beyond 6.5 million.

While CBS still has 13 uncalled House races, 270towin has just five with the current score 222-208 to the Democrats. The outstanding races are:

New York 22 (the Republican leads the incumbent Democrat by less than 300 votes)
    California 21 (the Republican leads the incumbent Democrat by 1% or 1800 votes with 92% counted)
    California 25 (the incumbent Republican is 400 votes ahead)
    Iowa 2 (with 397,000 votes counted, the Republican leads by 47 which for a British constituency would be well into recount territory)
    New York 1 (only 74% counted but should be a Republican hold)

That could mean five more for the GOP and the House ending at 222-213 which would be a good result for the Republicans but three of the five are extremely close and may not be resolved for some time).
  • Options
    edited November 2020

2020 is the year that France died.

There's only two things France should host, an invasion and decent restaurants, now the latter will soon be gone.

https://twitter.com/McDoFr_Newsroom/status/1323674741467680768

although of course you should never order beef in France anyway.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,719
    ydoethur said:

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
    Ah the simple pleasures of domestos life...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
    Stop trying to muscle in on our punning contest.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
    Kleerly irresistible.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
    Dettol you got?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

Sturgeon claims this because she, in fact, does not have the power to do so. Only the Disciplinary Committee can do so. And even then only after appeal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
    Dettol you got?
    You need to get your toilet ducks in a row.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    May not be so much 'wants', as 'feels obligated to'.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:
    Kerry is almost 77 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerontocracy

And does that mean he will resign as a Senator ?

If so would that mean the Republican governor of Massachusetts would appoint a replacement for the next two years ?

I don't know which world you live in but Kerry hasn't been a Senator in this world for nearly eight years.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I want the other two.
    Broth and Cif?
    More in a jiffy.
    Dettol you got?
    I will pledge to find something better.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

I thought that the police announced some time ago that they were taking no further action. Could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Or as Biden calls him, 'the young whippersnapper'.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If so would that mean the Republican governor of Massachusetts would appoint a replacement for the next two years ?

I don't know which world you live in but Kerry hasn't been a Senator in this world for nearly eight years.
    In any case isn’t this more of an honorary appointment where Kerry goes round the world trying to persuade people to sign up to vague principles while serious teams thrash out details (that people then usually ignore)?

If so he’s ideal. He’s widely known, well liked and very experienced in diplomacy and international affairs.

But it’s also a sign of Biden given climate politics a high priority. However you cut it, Kerry is a serious figure with big name recognition at home and abroad - arguably only Biden himself, the Clintons and Obama have more heft in the Democratic Party, and I’m not sure about Bill‘s status these days.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I realised that about a minute later.

Kerry's less than impressive period as Secretary of State didn't leave much a memory.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

I thought that the police announced some time ago that they were taking no further action. Could be wrong.
    The Met are taking no further action. Police Scotland are still investigating.

So you’re right, the police will take no further action.
  • Options
    It's a strange old tradition, but frankly it's good that the americans have some hokey traditions given they don't have quite as many bizarre or odd moments of paegentry and tradition to laugh at as we do.
  • Options
  • Options
    Is it a reciprocal deal, and some turkey pardons him in return?
  • Options
    Surely Trump has a better object for a pardon than that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

rpjs said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

I've never really looked at the Senate seal carefully before. The fasces gives one pause for thought.

I particularly like the dunce cap at the top. Red dunce cap, no less ;)

Tsk, does no one learn about Enlightenment-era republican symbology any more? Prior to Mussolini hijacking them, fasces symbolized republicanism, or maybe even more broadly civic virtue (they appear in some monarchical contexts e.g. in the insignia of the Spanish Guardia Civil). They do appear in several Latin American national emblems, including Cuba's, and in many other contexts in the US, such as behind the Speaker's podium in the House of Representatives.

The cap is the Phyrgian "cap of liberty", given in Roman times to emancipated slaves on their manumission, and later became adopted as a symbol of liberty during the American and French Revolutions.
    Hello - referring to a thread yesterday, I am semi-interested in farming, particularly livestock, and I wondered if you had some reasons why American beef is superior to British? I'm not arguing that it isn't (never had American beef to my knowledge), just interested.
    When I lived there, prime beef was excellent but standard stuff not so great , so you had to pay for good stuff. They use a lot of hormones which would put me off anything but the best prime beef.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, on that poll Starmer would become PM with SNP support but the Tories would almost certainly still have won a majority of seats in England. That would be the first time English voters have not got the party they voted for as the UK government since 1974
    Didn't the Conservatives win more votes than Labour in England in 2005 but fewer seats?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,707
    Conservatives spread false claim Biden invented 'office' of the president-elect
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/527179-conservatives-spread-false-claim-biden-invented-office-of-the-president-elect
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Its quite bizarre how US government and politics is dominated by people who would be regarded as clapped out has-beens elsewhere in the western world.

Perhaps its some yearning for the 1990s and American dominance.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't the Conservatives win more votes than Labour in England in 2005 but fewer seats?
    They did.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Oh god Boris stop using the stupid analogies...just keep it clear and concise.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Shameful.

The Met are taking no further action. Police Scotland are still investigating.

So you’re right, the police will take no further action.
    Indeed. With Police Scotland a decision could be as imminent as 10 years.

And frankly, the ridiculous and incomprehensible regulations that were in force that day (and possible even a couple of days on either side of that) are beyond the court's comprehension anyway.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It’s staggering to realise 16 years have passed since he ‘reported for duty.’

A lot has changed since then...imagine how different things might have been had Kerry won those few thousand extra votes in West Virginia, Iowa and New Mexico to tip the electoral college. No Obama. Probably no Trump. Although Edwards would presumably still have self-destructed and been removed from the scene. Perhaps Evan Bayh would now be President-elect following an interregnum of Condoleeza Rice.
  • Options
    I remember reading about the dosing error, but I didn't realise it led to this.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,738
    O/T

Cheering myself up by listening to Abba's 1981 album The Visitors.
  • Options
    I like that from Boris, "tis the season to be jolly careful."
  • Options

kle4 said:

Its quite bizarre how US government and politics is dominated by people who would be regarded as clapped out has-beens elsewhere in the western world.

Yes, we definitely prefer the never was'ers ourselves.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Yes,the Tories won 35.7% in England, Labour 35.4% and the LDs 22.9% but Labour still won 286 seats in England to just 194 for the Tories in 2005 so as I said on current polling the party which wins a majority of seats in England will not form the UK government for the first time since 1974
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Yes,the Tories won 35.7% in England, Labour 35.4% and the LDs 22.9% but Labour still won 286 seats in England to just 194 for the Tories so as I said on current polling the party which wins a majority of seats in England will not form the UK government for the first time since 1974
    But you said

'That would be the first time English voters have not got the party they voted for as the UK government since 1974'

#RevisionismHistoryThatDavidIrvingWouldBeProudOf
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    HYUFD said:

A false statement implies any statement.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Hard to imagine they could find a bigger Turkey than Trump out there.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

One of us. Excellent.
  • Options
    Oh god why oh why is chief scientist bod using the 70% number....
  • Options

kle4 said:

The frequency of themis the surprising thing more than it being an issue of individuals, it seems unusual that so many people could remain at the top of politics in a democratic society for so long. Ken Clarke was very unusual in being an MP for 49 years, and while that length would still be unusual in america, it'd be interesting to see if the prevalence of longer serving members (and older members) for them is noticably higher than for us. Once you get past the Father of the House there's only 1 MP who has been there more than 40 years, and Corbyn is the sixth longest serving. Harman is two away from being Mother of the House and looking pretty good for it honestly.

Longest currently serving Congressman? Don Young.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

There was a time when we found it hard to imagine that the GOP could find a bigger turkey than George Dubya.

They managed it with plenty of room to spare.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    And now time for the dickhead questions....I presume we will get ones about MP pay and bullying...
  • Options
    edited November 2020

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

There was a time when we found it hard to imagine that the GOP could find a bigger turkey than George Dubya.

Dubya is the only Republican presidential candidate to win over 50% of the popular vote since his father in 1988, which he did in 2004, do not underestimate him
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

Yes, and the rest of us got lots of stuffing from him.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

Dubya is the only Republican presidential candidate to win over 50% of the popular vote since his father in 1988, which he did in 2004, do not underestimate him
    Criminal Waste. A glorious opportunity missed to use Dubya's classic verb "misunderestimate".
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Yes,the Tories won 35.7% in England, Labour 35.4% and the LDs 22.9% but Labour still won 286 seats in England to just 194 for the Tories so as I said on current polling the party which wins a majority of seats in England will not form the UK government for the first time since 1974
    But you said

'That would be the first time English voters have not got the party they voted for as the UK government since 1974'

I said 'Yes, on that poll Starmer would become PM with SNP support but the Tories would almost certainly still have won a majority of seats in England.' So my statement was correct, it would be the first time the party which won a majority of seats in England did not form the UK government since 1974, we elect our government by the number of seats a party wins in the House of Commons not by which party wins the popular vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

And he remains of course the only Republican to have won an election since the end of the Cold War, and the only living Republican former President.* Both distinctions he looks set to retain for a while.

*Trump has spent far longer as a Democrat than as a Republican. Which in its own way is the most disturbing thing about him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

But you said

I said 'Yes, on that poll Starmer would become PM with SNP support but the Tories would almost certainly still have won a majority of seats in England.' So my statement was correct, it would be the first time the party which won a majority of seats in England did not form the UK government since 1974, we elect our government by the number of seats a party wins in the House of Commons not by which party wins the popular vote
    We do not elect our government, then.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

Criminal Waste. A glorious opportunity missed to use Dubya's classic verb "misunderestimate".
    I still this his finest moment was, ‘When you say you’re going to do something and then don’t do it, that’s trustworthiness.’

It just summed his presidency up so beautifully.
  • Options

kle4 said:

To be fair, we have a parliament with one chamber specifically designed for clapped out has-beens.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,707
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Careful!

Misunderestimate, surely ?
  • Options
    AlwaysSingingAlwaysSinging Posts: 464
    edited November 2020
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Excellent choice. Although maybe not their most cheerful!

--AS

PS: have you seen the lockdown verson of The Day Before You Came? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGg_6CAfJCw

Abba's last song, and ever so poignant.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,738
    edited November 2020
  • Options

kle4 said:

To be fair, we have a parliament with one chamber specifically designed for clapped out has-beens.
    True, but we do at least have the Lords as some sort of counterweight to it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Oh god why oh why is chief scientist bod using the 70% number....

I expect he's an Oxford PPE type.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

In reality the Greens would be unlikely to poll above 3% in a GE.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,949
    HYUFD said:

Are there betting markets on the Green vote share next time out? An interesting one I'd say
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I remember reading about the dosing error, but I didn't realise it led to this.
    It’s brilliant isn’t it, the world saved by an error.
This discussion has been closed.