Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Increased geography. Devolution, independence, and Brexit – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Puck said:

Agreeing a pardon for Trump in return for his resigning or declaring himself "temporarily" incapable might be preferable to the alternative. It's not a pleasant thought that he might avoid getting his comeuppance, and yes he is holding the country to ransom, but sometimes paying a ransom can save a fair few innocent lives. Leave the nutter in office and the consequence might be more than lawsuits and marches of a "million" MAGA-hatted morons. As for the state level, a pardon (or legal settlement) might be what he's after with his "won't give you lot the vaccine (pouts)" move against the state of New York.

Elective executive presidencies, as used in three of the five UNSC veto powers, do seem to have some of the same weaknesses as monarchies...

Trump's term of office expires 12 noon on 20 January 2021.

There is no issue of holding the country to ransom or leaving him in office. He stays in office until then and exactly then no matter the politics.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Huge news @TheScreamingEagles

The last postal broke heavily for Yes in Alaska. AV has passed.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1328771327591804930?s=19

Wow, TSE will be ecstatic. We all know what the weekend thread is going to be about, don't we. :)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

The Black Stuff 10pm
    BBC4

The original Play for Today from the late Sevdnties? It would be great to see again the series that came later too.
    Yes a repeat of the original - I’ve not seen it

They’ve been showing a few of the old PFT’s recently (Abigails Party, Leeds United) as well as a documentary about the show. I’ve taped them but not watched yet
    Abigails Party is still brilliant. The Black Stuff is quite a lot lighter than The Boys From The Blackstone as I remember.

Have to say I was a bit disappointed in Abigail's Party - not as funny as I remember it - hasn't aged well.

Alison Steadman is brilliant though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Given how assiduous all the Germans were with the usual precautions - distancing, sanitiser, masks - when I visited in the summer, this does make you wonder whether the impact of such measures is merely around the margin.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

I was surprised to hear on the radio that Boris Johnson believed in evolution, even though he was caught saying that it had "been a disaster". I assumed he accepted the Darwinist proposition, but I wondered if he thought we were better off when we were swinging through the trees.

Turns out I slightly mis-heard.

--AS

You jest, but I would say that evolution has turned into a disaster for earth, as a result of producing one species capable of buggering up the planet for everyone else.
    Perhaps, but on the plus side perhaps it produced the species capable of leaving the planet, to find countless others to bugger up...

--AS
    We really aren't capable of any such thing. So far we have boldly gone 1.3 light seconds, or 20 light hours if you count unmanned, into a universe where the nearest exoplanet is 4000 ly away. They are safe, we'll have warmed ourselves to death before we get to do any real harm.
    No faith in Musk?
    Nope. We might just about land a few bods on Mars in his lifetime (probability say 15%), but colonies - nah.
    Seems a pipedream to me too. He has plans for a LONG lifetime though. Many centuries. Frozen until medical technology has advanced enough to revive and equip with a super durable body and organs. What a moment that will be if it comes off. He'll be cock-a-hoop.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Well, they would say that wouldn’t they.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Starmer has just made a huge mistake

Re-admitting Corbyn is beyond belief and he has bowed to the union barons

Wrong on so many levels

It isn't Starmer's decision, but don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

Corbyn is an abomination, and I would prefer him nowhere near the Labour Party if they are to get my vote. However, you support a political organisation of which Christopher Chope is a Member of Parliament, and your party successfully nominated him for a knighthood.

There are some nasty pieces of work in all political parties, except maybe the SNP...oh wait wasn't Alex Salmond once their leader?
    Then there were those Tory MPs who supported Apartheid South Africa and Ian Smith's regime in Rhodesia. Some Tories wanted to see Nelson Mandela hanged - including the MP Terry Dicks. Not one lost the Tory Whip though - under Heath, Thatcher and Major.
  • Options

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1328810806981644290

I am wondering though, like Trump who is left Tweeting out conspiracy theories nobody is listening to, does anyone still care what BoZo says?

If he hasn't already contradicted it, something else will arise to blow it off course...

Princess Nut Nuts has written a fine piece for him to sign up to there. I know you and others will be cynical, but if he steers us down this road it’s good.
    Who is Princess Nut Nuts ?

Is this some PB meme I have missed out on ?
    The nickname Cummings used about Carrie Symonds in an email, enough to get him sacked, apparently.
    ...apparently shorthand for crazy, squirrel-face.

The idea of two such lookers as Cummings and Cain passing judgement on Symonds' appearance reminds me of a French and Saunders sketch.
    Undermining the lockdown was forgiveable but being rude about the PM's fiancee was not.

Priorities, eh?
  • Options
    Even if its a cumulative lump addition it looks like France is having the same nursing home problems:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1328818737642950656
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    IanB2 said:

Given how assiduous all the Germans were with the usual precautions - distancing, sanitiser, masks - when I visited in the summer, this does make you wonder whether the impact of such measures is merely around the margin.
    Probably. Once this thing gets well seeded, it is a bastard to eliminate. A slip up here, a handful of events breaking the rules there and off you go again.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

I am wondering though, like Trump who is left Tweeting out conspiracy theories nobody is listening to, does anyone still care what BoZo says?

If he hasn't already contradicted it, something else will arise to blow it off course...

Princess Nut Nuts has written a fine piece for him to sign up to there. I know you and others will be cynical, but if he steers us down this road it’s good.

The nickname Cummings used about Carrie Symonds in an email, enough to get him sacked, apparently.

The idea of two such lookers as Cummings and Cain passing judgement on Symonds' appearance reminds me of a French and Saunders sketch.
    Undermining the lockdown was forgiveable but being rude about the PM's fiancee was not.

Priorities, eh?
    I said at the time that Cummings was probably saved by the fact the Guardian sat on the story until after lockdown was lifted and the stay at home message had been scrapped.

What Cummings did was arguably illegal at the time he did it but undeniably wasn't illegal by the time the story came out. Had the story gone to press when the message was "Stay at Home" he'd have probably been forced out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Democrats have been trying to get away from voting machines for years ?
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1328815025662914561
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

IanB2 said:

Probably. Once this thing gets well seeded, it is a bastard to eliminate. A slip up here, a handful of events breaking the rules there and off you go again.
    I think we still do not have a good idea about how it spreads.

It seems reasonably clear the major transmission vector is super spreader events rather than everyday person to person transmission but I feel we don't have a good understanding about what would kar a super spreader event a super spreader event.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    justin124 said:

Starmer has just made a huge mistake

Re-admitting Corbyn is beyond belief and he has bowed to the union barons

Wrong on so many levels

It isn't Starmer's decision, but don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

Corbyn is an abomination, and I would prefer him nowhere near the Labour Party if they are to get my vote. However, you support a political organisation of which Christopher Chope is a Member of Parliament, and your party successfully nominated him for a knighthood.

There are some nasty pieces of work in all political parties, except maybe the SNP...oh wait wasn't Alex Salmond once their leader?
    Then there were those Tory MPs who supported Apartheid South Africa and Ian Smith's regime in Rhodesia. Some Tories wanted to see Nelson Mandela hanged - including the MP Terry Dicks. Not one lost the Tory Whip though - under Heath, Thatcher and Major.
    Indeed. Dare I mention Mrs T. and her support (granted after office) for Pinochet during his time as a fugitive from justice?

Perhaps right wing Chilean dictators don't count.
  • Options

Even if its a cumulative lump addition it looks like France is having the same nursing home problems:

That link isn't working for me.
  • Options

Former public health officials tear into the 'moonshot' mass testing plan being piloted in Liverpool.

"Spending the equivalent of 77% of the NHS annual revenue budget on an unevaluated underdesigned national programme leading to a regressive, insufficiently supported intervention—in many cases for the wrong people—cannot be defended."

"Despite claims by the city council that the Innova test is “very accurate with high sensitivity and specificity,”2 it has not been evaluated in these conditions. The test’s instructions for use state that it should not be used on asymptomatic people. A preliminary evaluation from Porton Down and Oxford University9 throws little light on its performance in asymptomatic people or in the field. It suggests the test misses between one in two and one in four cases. The false positive rate of 0.6% means that at the current prevalence in Liverpool, for every person found truly positive, at least one other may be wrongly required to self-isolate. As prevalence drops, this will become much worse."

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4436

Dom's remaining baby, isn't it?
    He's still working on it apparently, from home.

Although whether he has much time in between penning fifty thousand word blog essays on what a disaster Johnson has turned out to be we don't know.
    It will be interesting to see what Cummings gets up to now. One imagines Think Tank and media punditry but he might surprise with a radical departure. Perhaps he will leave the bubble and try his hand at farming. Quietly and assiduously work the land.
  • Options
    PuckPuck Posts: 7
    edited November 2020

Puck said:

Agreeing a pardon for Trump in return for his resigning or declaring himself "temporarily" incapable might be preferable to the alternative. It's not a pleasant thought that he might avoid getting his comeuppance, and yes he is holding the country to ransom, but sometimes paying a ransom can save a fair few innocent lives. Leave the nutter in office and the consequence might be more than lawsuits and marches of a "million" MAGA-hatted morons. As for the state level, a pardon (or legal settlement) might be what he's after with his "won't give you lot the vaccine (pouts)" move against the state of New York.

Elective executive presidencies, as used in three of the five UNSC veto powers, do seem to have some of the same weaknesses as monarchies...

Trump's term of office expires 12 noon on 20 January 2021.

There is no issue of holding the country to ransom or leaving him in office. He stays in office until then and exactly then no matter the politics.
    There's a lot Trump can do between now and 20 January, and it doesn't follow that because things have been fairly quiet since 3 November they will stay quiet. We can assume he wants to stay out of jail, so it makes sense rationally for him to use what he can to reach a "great deal". What some Chinese analysts are saying.

What the White House is saying: he has banned "any transaction in publicly traded securities, or any securities that are derivative of, or are designed to provide investment exposure to such securities, of any Communist Chinese military company as defined in section 4(a)(i) of this order, by any United States person" - the measure to take effect from 11 January. He may try and poke the dragon until it can't just fold its wings, put its head on one side, and watch him as he tweet-screams himself into a state of fatigue.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

It seems reasonably clear the major transmission vector is super spreader events rather than everyday person to person transmission but I feel we don't have a good understanding about what would kar a super spreader event a super spreader event.
    each Wave does seem to lap across the earth geographically, ourselves following med. has anyone mapped waves against temperature and daylight hours?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Democrats have been trying to get away from voting machines for years ?

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-market-for-voting-machines-is-broken-this-company-has-thrived-in-it

They are an absolute disaster zone.
  • Options

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

Priorities, eh?
    I said at the time that Cummings was probably saved by the fact the Guardian sat on the story until after lockdown was lifted and the stay at home message had been scrapped.

What Cummings did was arguably illegal at the time he did it but undeniably wasn't illegal by the time the story came out. Had the story gone to press when the message was "Stay at Home" he'd have probably been forced out.
    Probably.

The whole story was a load of baloney from start to finish and this became increasingly apparent as the Rose Garden account came under scrutiny. It did for Johnson's credibility and the levels of support he got from the public thereafter dropped dramatically.

Johnson should have sacked him there and then. To sack him now for calling his fiancee names makes him look ridiculous.
  • Options
    I’m with Big G on this one. doesn’t matter in what final detail the truth lies, it’s the optics of St George sparing the Dragon and pretending he has changed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    IanB2 said:

but a 6-0 loss to Spain.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,737
    The 'extreme centre'? What on earth is that?

And like Alistair suggests, would he really want to have senate races to worry about? (even if they would not be as difficult as the Georgia ones, I presume).
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

It is fascinating that all this research, vaccines, improvements in testing, and as you say we still don't really know how it spreads.

We know of these super spreader events, but what percentage of the total transmission they make up, nobody seems to have any idea.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    gealbhan said:

It's already accurate - amazon shipping has already gone from next day to day after next.
  • Options

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

The Black Stuff 10pm
    BBC4

The original Play for Today from the late Sevdnties? It would be great to see again the series that came later too.
    Yes a repeat of the original - I’ve not seen it

They’ve been showing a few of the old PFT’s recently (Abigails Party, Leeds United) as well as a documentary about the show. I’ve taped them but not watched yet
    Abigails Party is still brilliant. The Black Stuff is quite a lot lighter than The Boys From The Blackstone as I remember.

Have to say I was a bit disappointed in Abigail's Party - not as funny as I remember it - hasn't aged well.

Alison Steadman is brilliant though.
    "I like Demis Roussos, Ange' likes Demis Roussos, Tony likes Demis Roussos and Sue would like to hear Demis Roussos, so *please* Lawrence, do you think we could have some Demis Roussos?"

:smile:
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1328822624852520961
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    eek said:

gealbhan said:

It's already accurate - amazon shipping has already gone from next day to day after next.
    Not for me. Next day basically every order over the past 6 months.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Pulpstar said:

The difference is that Canada has a Westminster Parliamentary system with maximum but not fixed terms for the federal and provincial parliaments, whereas the US has a fixed electoral cycle where in most states federal elections coincide with elections for at least one house of the state legislature if not both plus municipal, judicial etc races down to parish dog-catcher. The US has to at least have ballot scanners to have a hope of counting everything in time.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1328822624852520961
    Yikes, from memory that's as bad as it ever got at the peak in the Spring here isn't it?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

The difference is that Canada has a Westminster Parliamentary system with maximum but not fixed terms for the federal and provincial parliaments, whereas the US has a fixed electoral cycle where in most states federal elections coincide with elections for at least one house of the state legislature if not both plus municipal, judicial etc races down to parish dog-catcher. The US has to at least have ballot scanners to have a hope of counting everything in time.
    How did they do it before the machines existed?
  • Options

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Same. I think they've removed the next day guarantee but every order still comes next day for me. Their logistics operation is absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

Who would have guessed that insulting your bosses fiancée in writing is bad for your career prospects?

👸🏻🥜🥜 1 - 0 🍆🏯👓
    Isn't the idea of 'a fiancée' rather old fashioned in this day and age? Can she sue him for 'breach of promise' if that's how it ends up?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

Who would have guessed that insulting your bosses fiancée in writing is bad for your career prospects?

👸🏻🥜🥜 1 - 0 🍆🏯👓
    Isn't the idea of 'a fiancée' rather old fashioned in this day and age?
    You think its old fashioned for people to be engaged?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Same. I think they've removed the next day guarantee but every order still comes next day for me. Their logistics operation is absolutely brilliant.
    I'm sure Amazon is probably a horrible company for the same reasons most big tech companies are horrible, but as they provide me so much so conveniently my default state toward them is more positive then, say, FaceBook or Google, even if that is not fair.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

I'm sure Amazon is probably a horrible company for the same reasons most big tech companies are horrible, but as they provide me so much so conveniently my default state toward them is more positive then, say, FaceBook or Google, even if that is not fair.
    Its unfashionable to say so but I like them. Its a good quality, cheap, reliable retailer. No more and no less than that.

Yes its success does perhaps have concerns regarding competition - but I'm not sure the past was always that much better. I'd rather have Amazon deliver to me next day at a fraction of the mark up than having the false choice as we used to have about twenty years ago of for example choosing between PC World, Currys or Dixons as retail offerings (all actually owned by the same company and with much greater mark ups).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    It's interesting to note how easily one of the paragraphs can be rewritten:

The strategy of Brussels to deal with British disaffection appears to be to continue to take powers from member countries, to off the UK rebates to keep it quiet, to browbeat it with threats of the awfulness of going it alone and to deny it a referendum so it can’t break away. If this is their strategy, it is doomed to fail and probably in the short term. The UK will not accept being treated as a colony for any length of time.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Its unfashionable to say so but I like them. Its a good quality, cheap, reliable retailer. No more and no less than that.

Yes its success does perhaps have concerns regarding competition - but I'm not sure the past was always that much better. I'd rather have Amazon deliver to me next day at a fraction of the mark up than having the false choice as we used to have about twenty years ago of for example choosing between PC World, Currys or Dixons as retail offerings (all actually owned by the same company and with much greater mark ups).
    I have no idea how currys pc world hasn't gone the same way as comet. Crap prices, crap service...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

I guess PC World would be Woke World these days.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Adam Klasfeld
    @KlasfeldReports
    ·
    14m
    The DNC's lawyer Uzoma Nkwonta, from Perkins Coie, is up.

He reiterates a point made earlier by the counties that Trump's co-plaintiffs sued the wrong counties.

They're from Trump-backing Fayette and Lancaster Counties.

They sued seven blue counties, alleging vote denial.
  • Options

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

I have no idea how currys pc world hasn't gone the same way as comet. Crap prices, crap service...
    I couldn't stand them pre-Amazon, but irritatingly there was no major competition then.

Now that Amazon exists, I truly don't understand why anyone would use them.

If Amazon means I don't need to frequent stores like that then long live Amazon.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Where those who talk about fisher persons go to buy ethically sources electronic items.
  • Options

Incredibly, the amounts available on the Betfair next President market have been fluctuating between £2m and £3m at 1.05 and 1.06.

These are not ordinary punters, folks.

Fascinating. Who is behind this trading? We may never know.
    Leadsom4Leader Bot strikes again....

• Options
    tlg86 said:

The positivity rates in some places is eye watering...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1328789665562955780?s=19

It might be hard to assess the effectiveness of the vaccine at this rate; herd immunity might have been achieved by the time it gets deployed.
    We know what happens next.

Wiconsinites lock themselves at home and economic activity ceases.

The virus runs through households, but can't spread between them.

After a month or so of de facto lockdown, cases begin to drop, and people start venturing out.

A month after that, everyone is socialising, and reported cases are still falling.

We must have beaten this!

Rinse and repeat.

No one gets near herd immunity in just one wave: look at Lombardy, it should have the highest natural levels of CV19 resistance in Western Europe, because it decimated the province early. Yet it is being hit terribly again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FUCK OFF TO CANADA THEN
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited November 2020
    gealbhan said:

I’m with Big G on this one. doesn’t matter in what final detail the truth lies, it’s the optics of St George sparing the Dragon and pretending he has changed.
    For one, Starmer is a moderate not a radical, and purging is for radicals. I think he has humiliated Jez the Rebel by making him apologise. Similar to how Cool Hand Luke lost the respect of his fellow inmates when they thought the bosses had broken him.

Secondly a report into Labour islamophobia has just found a large proportion of Labours Muslim members feel as discriminated against by the current set up as the Jewish population did by the last, and that could lead to accusations of double standards.

Thirdly, Jezza and Diane are probably two of the MPs with the biggest personal vote in their constituencies, and might well beat Labour into 2nd place in a by election if they left, and Sir Keir doesn’t need that
  • Options
    Talking of Amazon....getting into the drugs market now.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1328828351075770371?s=19
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

For one, Starmer is a moderate not a radical, and purging is for radicals. I think he has humiliated Jez the Rebel by making him apologise. Similar to how Cool Hand Luke lost the respect of his fellow inmates when they thought the bosses had broken him.

Secondly a report into Labour islamophobia has just found a large proportion of Labours Muslim members feel as discriminated against by the current set up as the Jewish population did by the last, and that could lead to accusations of double standards.

Thirdly, Jezza and Diane are probably two of the MPs with the biggest personal vote in their constituencies, and might well beat Labour into 2nd place in a by election if they left, and Sir Keir doesn’t need that
    Why would any by election arise? I believe they would hold their seats at a GE.
  • Options
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

Moreover Williamson's Socialist Party, and Tory wet dream, is a non-starter without Jez. As a force able to take a significant chunk of the Labour vote anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Where those who talk about fisher persons go to buy ethically sources electronic items.
    The other day a woman pulled out on us and I said ‘they weren’t even looking’ - not sure why, I knew it was a woman. It dawned on me that my son would probably grow up referring to people as ‘they’ rather than ‘him’ or ‘her’ and wouldn’t think anything of it, & that PC weirdness usually filters through to being thought of as the norm

@TheScreamingEagles i think I noticed you referred to my son as ‘they’ or ‘their’ earlier? Was that because you didn’t want to assume his gender, or were you referring to babies in general?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

The positivity rates in some places is eye watering...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1328789665562955780?s=19

It might be hard to assess the effectiveness of the vaccine at this rate; herd immunity might have been achieved by the time it gets deployed.
    We know what happens next.

Wiconsinites lock themselves at home and economic activity ceases.

The virus runs through households, but can't spread between them.

After a month or so of de facto lockdown, cases begin to drop, and people start venturing out.

A month after that, everyone is socialising, and reported cases are still falling.

We must have beaten this!

Rinse and repeat.

No one gets near herd immunity in just one wave: look at Lombardy, it should have the highest natural levels of CV19 resistance in Western Europe, because it decimated the province early. Yet it is being hit terribly again.
    In Bergamo they reckon around 30% of the population was exposed to the virus during the spring crisis. For the rest of Lombardy, presumably lower. And Italians do normally travel a lot to work.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, probably by hand, but that was when a) labour costs were a lot lower than today, b), the population was a lot lower, and the voting population smaller due to the exclusion of women and (de facto in much of the country) non-white people, and c) the term of the President didn't end until March!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

FUCK OFF TO CANADA THEN
    The Canadians thought of that and banned travel from the States.
    Of course they used Covid as an excuse...
    Always thinking.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, probably by hand, but a) when labour costs were a lot lower than today, b), the population was a lot lower, and the voting population smaller due to the exclusion of women and (de facto in much of the country) non-white people, and c) the term of the President didn't end until March!
    It was a genuine question, I don't know when they first started using machines, as some of those factors you mentioned won't necessarily have applied to that great a degree depending on when they did start using them.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

The other day a woman pulled out on us and I said ‘they weren’t even looking’ - not sure why, I knew it was a woman. It dawned on me that my son would probably grow up referring to people as ‘they’ rather than ‘him’ or ‘her’ and wouldn’t think anything of it, & that PC weirdness usually filters through to being thought of as the norm

@TheScreamingEagles i think I noticed you referred to my son as ‘they’ or ‘their’ earlier? Was that because you didn’t want to assume his gender, or were you referring to babies in general?
    I have always used they like that.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, probably by hand, but a) when labour costs were a lot lower than today, b), the population was a lot lower, and the voting population smaller due to the exclusion of women and (de facto in much of the country) non-white people, and c) the term of the President didn't end until March!
    It was a genuine question, I don't know when they first started using machines, as some of those factors you mentioned won't necessarily have applied to that great a degree depending on when they did start using them.
    I don't know for sure, but prior to the modern optical scanners, which are based on the machines used to score the standardized tests that the US loves so much, a common pattern was for voting machines to be essentially old-school card punches, and the "ballot paper" was a Hollerith card. (Remember the "hanging chads" from Florida 2000?). Now I couldn't tell you when they started to be used for elections here (and I'm too lazy to go research it), but I will say that punched-card tabulation was perfected by Hollerith for the 1890 US census, so I'd be willing to bet that in parts of the country voting by machine in some form or other must date back a century or more.
  • Options
    Being realistic, people are going to do it either way.

And if mixing is confined to five days it would minimise transmission because someone who caught the virus during those five days would be contagious after the mixing has finished so exponential growth wouldn't occur.

People are far more likely to agree to not mix in November and January having celebrated Christmas and knowing a vaccine is on the way than they will on Christmas.

Though even if this is allowed, I for one would not be mixing with many people anyway. For me Christmas is for family not friend and my grandparents whom I'd love to see and have never missed seeing at Christmas (except for when I lived overseas) will still be shielding and won't have visitors regardless of what is said I'm sure, until they get vaccinated. Other people's families may vary.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Unbelievable to think Rudy once prosecuted the mafia - Gotti must be rolling in his grave
    https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1328832024971448322
  • Options
    The singular they is from the 14th Century, believe it or not. Had a feeling it was relatively old, but not that old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Likewise.

I also tend to use 'guys' when I'm talking to multiple people.

This is nothing to do with woke, as I've done it for as long as I can remember. I think I'm just being lazy.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The singular they is from the 14th Century, believe it or not. Had a feeling it was relatively old, but not that old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

@Ishmael_Z I probably had ‘the driver’ on my head rather than the fact it was a woman
  • Options

Talking of Amazon....getting into the drugs market now.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1328828351075770371?s=19

What a fascinating line this is:

"Shares in US pharmacy chains fell sharply after the announcement, with Walgreens Boots Alliance, the owner of Boots in Britain, closed up 0.2% in New York."
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    @Davidl Sorry for not replying earlier some of us dont live on PB, however from what I saw of your attempt none of the actual practical bits are anything we didn't have with southern ireland pre eu....guess what we didn't need a union for it.

As for shared history thats mere nostalgia not practical reasons anymore than someone's claims of shared geology was. If we had scottish independence happen in the 1950's I am sure we would find that after the initial break up by now we would have all those nice to haves you mention
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Unbelievable to think Rudy once prosecuted the mafia - Gotti must be rolling in his grave

That's brilliant!

You have to hand it to Rudy - as a performing-artist-troll, he's clearly picked up a lot from his gig with Borat père et fille.
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/HershAlan/status/1328819980234878978
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Likewise.

This is nothing to do with woke, as I've done it for as long as I can remember. I think I'm just being lazy.
    Very Uni/Sloaney talk is ‘guys’ - we used to call a girl we knew down the pub ‘guys’ because she was the only person we knew who used it!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

gealbhan said:

Likewise.

"Guys" as a non-gendered term for a bunch of people initially confused me when I moved to Canada in 1985. Particularly as girls would use it about a group of other girls.
    It wasn't something I'd come across before, but has survived as a verbal tic with me. Likewise my use of "anyways".

Edit. Blockquote messed up on this.
  • Options
    Judge Brann:

What standard of review should I apply in this case and why?

Giuliani says the "normal one."

Are you arguing that strict scrutiny should apply?

Giuliani says normal scrutiny should apply.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,607
    Just seen the news. What on earth is the Labour Party playing at?

New thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Continuing on modern/old language.
    TIL "unflappable", which if I'd had to wager I would have guessed Shakespearean. Or at least used by Wellington or Nelson in dispatches, actually dates to...
    The 1950's.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    So what happens next?

This is why people are backing Trump at 19.

The whole election process is so convoluted with numerous different people involved having to go through numerous different processes. And with so many of these people highly partisan there is simply no way of knowing what might happen.

It doesn't matter how far fetched Trump's claims are - if partisan Republicans put up every conceivable barrier to finalising the result then in a country as crazy as the USA literally anything is possible.
This discussion has been closed.