Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Increased geography. Devolution, independence, and Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    One of Trump's regular lawyers just shat himself about the thought of being disbarred for being in on this tripe I reckon

https://twitter.com/Dannycasual22/status/1328782007308931072
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

London "lockdown" observation. No one cares. In the first lockdown there was barely anyone out and no cars on the roads and the buses were empty. I have seen no appreciable difference between today and before the it was introduced. I don't think cases are going to fall very fast or at all.

Hmm not sure. Have just strolled down a very deserted Marylebone High St.

Almost no one around, those that are are all clustered around Waitrose. Looks pretty bleak to me.
    Likewise much of north London. Desolate.

Some suburbs have managed to get a villagey feel - Highgate, Hampstead, others - Camden, Crouch End. Belsize - are deserted. Shuttered.
    Hackney is heaving.
    They should try not to drink so much.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

London "lockdown" observation. No one cares. In the first lockdown there was barely anyone out and no cars on the roads and the buses were empty. I have seen no appreciable difference between today and before the it was introduced. I don't think cases are going to fall very fast or at all.

Almost no one around, those that are are all clustered around Waitrose. Looks pretty bleak to me.

Some suburbs have managed to get a villagey feel - Highgate, Hampstead, others - Camden, Crouch End. Belsize - are deserted. Shuttered.
    I suppose it's treeless places that usually have an urban buzz on which are not themselves.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Have any of the legal eagles here ever used this line in court ?

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1328778314228576257

Is he asking for a continuance?

Or is this further evidence that no one in the Trump (legal) camp has ever heard about hearsay?
    He's a deep operative for team Biden based on this line of argument

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1328780021016780801
    He is Lionel Hutz.

I remember when Giuliani was considered the most popular man in America and a shoo in for the GOP nomination in 2008.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

stodge said:

Just had a look at the CBS News website.

Two weeks on and the votes are still being counted in a number of states - Maine is 91% done but New York is only 84% completed.

Biden is approaching 79 million votes or 51% while Trump is at 73.25 million and 47%. With every day the gap inches wider and more decisive - the swing to the Democrats from 2016 is approaching 1%.

In Wisconsin, Biden's lead is 20,500 or 0.7%. In Utah, Trump leads 58-38 or just under 300,000 votes. The lead in Pennsylvania approaches 75,000 or 1.1%. In New York Biden leads 56-42.5 or 920,000 votes. In New Jersey (95% counted), Biden leads 57-41.5 or 700,000 votes.

In Mississippi, Trump's lead is 19 points or 237,000 votes.

I wonder if there are enough votes left to get Biden over 80 million.

79.036m now

i see Rudi wants $20k a day to represent Trump

Turned down the offer of $10k a day and unlimited access to Borats daughter
    on the exchange you can still get 1.03 that Biden gets over 75m. If Rudy can get 4m+ Biden votes chalked off he's worth his $20k per day.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Or is this further evidence that no one in the Trump (legal) camp has ever heard about hearsay?

He is Lionel Hutz.

I remember when Giuliani was considered the most popular man in America and a shoo in for the GOP nomination in 2008.
    He doesn't come out of the new Borat movie particularly well.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He is Lionel Hutz.

He’s nothing like Lionel Hutz.

Hutz was a good cobbler.

Giuliani can’t even talk convincing cobblers.
  • Options
    Rudy

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He is Lionel Hutz.

Rudy has had some fall from his peak in late 2001 when he genuinely could have won the presidential race if it was open/on at the time.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    So all these areas of Scotland having to going into McLockdown, is that an admission that the sort of cricuit breaker over half term didn't work?
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    edited November 2020

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.
    I hear that Tottenham is busier than ever, as every single retail outlet is already either a fried chicken takeaway or a halal grocery shop, so they all stay open.

It's almost random, which places thrive and which don't. Wealthy Richmond is doing alright, wealthy Marylebone is a disaster zone.

I guess anywhere with a concentration of expats (still abroad), foreign students (not coming) is in trouble, and as for tourists, forget it.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    IanB2 said:

Bozo’s Tories are fools. They have ploughed ahead, determined to disregard any concerns raised by any of the other UK nations about their ideological obsession.

The fact that the clown is now flailing around trying to pin the blame on Blair and the events of nearly two decades ago for the consequences of his own career-obsessed decisions much more recently, is all the evidence we need that he knows the damage that he has done.

That’s exactly it isn’t, a Trumpian mantra “Scottish Independence because of Blair’s disastrous policy, nothing at all to do with Brexit.”
  • Options
    isam said:

Has anyone had much experience of the MMR jabs effect on their kids in the days after it being administered?

Two kids - only effect was a few seconds of crying after the injection which they stopped with after a cuddle.

No side effects or anything else afterwards.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,635
    edited November 2020

So all these areas of Scotland having to going into McLockdown, is that an admission that the sort of cricuit breaker over half term didn't work?

Did not have a circuit breaker. Did go up to the tier below. Edit: Locally based. Evidently not enough.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.
    I hear that Tottenham is busier than ever, as every single retail outlet is already either a fried chicken takeaway or a halal grocery shop, so they all stay open.

It's almost random, which places thrive and which don't. Wealthy Richmond is doing alright, wealthy Marylebone is a disaster zone.

I guess anywhere with a concentration of expats (still abroad), foreign students (not coming) is in trouble, and as for tourists, forget it.
    I don’t think it’s random.
    People are staying local.
    So Zone 1 is dead, but the rest is still relatively busy.

Belsize Park hardly has a “vibe” at the best of times. Surprised you are reporting Camden, and more so, Crouch End as quiet though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,479

Doesn’t this imply that the entire population effectively has or has had it?
    No.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.

You will be pleased to know that Winchcombe is thriving.

It is strategically placed on the Cotswolds Way and has long been established as a walking centre.

You cannot move for skinny types with barbours, green wellies and ski-poles.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    edited November 2020

isam said:

Has anyone had much experience of the MMR jabs effect on their kids in the days after it being administered?

Two kids - only effect was a few seconds of crying after the injection which they stopped with after a cuddle.

Lucky you. Maybe it is just a coincidence but my son has been red hot ever since he had it, and the hospital are saying he has inflammation in his throat too
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.
    Here in East Ham it's also not the same as in the spring. Walking down the High Street, fewer people about than I would expect for midday but with banks, food shops and a few others open in one form or another, hardly desolate as some might suggest.

At the tube station, all the barriers were open so fare and mask evasion were endemic - I don't understand what TfL are doing but now it's been nationalised maybe they don't care.

The side streets were very quiet and businesses in the Barking Road which rely on that pedestrian traffic were clearly struggling. The supermarkets weren't too busy but mask wearing was 100% in Tesco's and being enforced by security on the door.

The national passenger transport numbers are released tomorrow afternoon and will be enlightening as regards changes during the first full week of the second lockdown. Early tube numbers were halved from November 5th with the previous days of about 40-45% of pre-Covid numbers going back to 20%.

Oddly enough, nowhere near the same drop in rail passenger numbers.
  • Options
    Biden's lawyers seem to be advancing actual legal argument now, unlike Giuliani.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.

I don’t think it’s random.
    People are staying local.
    So Zone 1 is dead, but the rest is still relatively busy.

Belsize Park hardly has a “vibe” at the best of times. Surprised you are reporting Camden, and more so, Crouch End as quiet though.
    Oh on a sunny day Belsize can be quite Mediterranean, Big wide pavements with lots of outdoor eating.

Crouch End and Camden are entirely silent. Sad.

Primrose Hill is better and the top of the hill has a permanent festival in the evening. Very patchwork
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,201
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

In spite of alluding to the diversity of views in his paragraph on Brexit supporting young gay cyclists, as usual Alastair ruins his thread header by lumping all Leavers in together as if they all had the same views on matters both Brexit and non-Brexit related.

There are plenty of Leavers, including a few on here, who are very happy with the idea of Scottish Independence and for thoroughly positive reasons. For us Scottish Independence is a natural and welcome consequence of Brexit and stems from the same arguments in favour of self determination as drove the desire to leave the EU. We are not Unionists - either of the EU or British variety and therefore see any move towards dissolution of the Union as a positive step.

Sure. There are Leavers who welcome the breakup of the UK. There's you. There's Philip Thompson. I bet there are others. But the drivers of the Brexit project in the Tory Party and this Tory government - Johnson, Gove, the ERG - are not of that mind. So if it is the case that Brexit drives Scotland out, this will be an example of irony of the bitter variety. I don't think your observation - whilst true - changes that one iota.
    Neither am I. There are Leavers like me and DavidL who are passionate Unionists, and I bet there are others on this site too.
    Perhaps you would care to have a stab at my question. What actual practical reasons are there for union? Ones that a man from dumfries and a man from uxbridge would nod their heads and go "The man has a point"
    Great Britain is a natural geographical entity. It is a deeply integrated single market with complete freedom of movement, capital and electoral rights. That integration gives all parts of the Union more strength than they would have on their own and more opportunities for their citizens. We share a common history and a series of national institutions. We make more of a difference in the world than we would separately and largely for the good. This is a great nation and I am proud to be a part of it.

How am I doing?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That's unfair to George W. Bush.

He deserves a circle to himself, he also won two terms, and the popular vote.
    I think they've got Rutherford B Hayes in the wrong circle - he was both a one term President and lost the popular vote, so ought to be in the intersect with John Quincey Adams and Benjamin Harrison. As you say, Bush Jnr is unique in having won two terms but lost the popular vote once in doing so.
    Indeed Hayes stood down after one term having pledged to do so.

I wonder if the "One Term" circle was designed as a "Lost re-election" circle as Hayes only had one term but didn't lose his re-election bid.
  • Options
    stodge said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.
    Here in East Ham it's also not the same as in the spring. Walking down the High Street, fewer people about than I would expect for midday but with banks, food shops and a few others open in one form or another, hardly desolate as some might suggest.

At the tube station, all the barriers were open so fare and mask evasion were endemic - I don't understand what TfL are doing but now it's been nationalised maybe they don't care.

The side streets were very quiet and businesses in the Barking Road which rely on that pedestrian traffic were clearly struggling. The supermarkets weren't too busy but mask wearing was 100% in Tesco's and being enforced by security on the door.

The national passenger transport numbers are released tomorrow afternoon and will be enlightening as regards changes during the first full week of the second lockdown. Early tube numbers were halved from November 5th with the previous days of about 40-45% of pre-Covid numbers going back to 20%.

Oddly enough, nowhere near the same drop in rail passenger numbers.
    After a notable pick up in the summer, my LadyG random rush hour bus-tracker reports almost zero passengers. Right back to the worst of lockdown 1
  • Options
    Mr Meekes on excellent form, I see.

Sadly, he doesn't seem to post any more which is a pity. I guess that like me he is just waiting for 2021 and the opportunity to grovel in apology when Brexit turns out to be a spiffing success.

How embarrassing this is going to be for us unreconstructed Remainers. How many years in ConHome will we be sentenced to?

Shudder.
  • Options

But the Jewish Labour Movement called the decision to reinstate Mr Corbyn "extraordinary", adding: "After his failure of leadership to tackle anti-Semitism, so clearly set out in the EHRC's report, any reasonable and fair-minded observer would see Jeremy Corbyn's statement today as insincere and wholly inadequate."

They would be taken in by Sauron himself, this Labour lot. Corbyn and his coterie currently now forging the one ring to rule them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    isam said:
    More good news for the Corbyn family.
  • Options
    Remember when Britain was the WORST IN EUROPE AT COVID, A GLOBAL HELLSPOT WITH LEOPARDS EATING BABIES IN COLCHESTER TESCO

Very quietly, Britain has been over taken in deaths per million by Belgium, Spain and Italy. It will soon be over taken by the USA, Mexico and possibly even France (on present trajectories), leaving us around 15th in the world.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He is Lionel Hutz.

He doesn't come out of the new Borat movie particularly well.
    Come grasp the mighty penis of our leader...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

In spite of alluding to the diversity of views in his paragraph on Brexit supporting young gay cyclists, as usual Alastair ruins his thread header by lumping all Leavers in together as if they all had the same views on matters both Brexit and non-Brexit related.

There are plenty of Leavers, including a few on here, who are very happy with the idea of Scottish Independence and for thoroughly positive reasons. For us Scottish Independence is a natural and welcome consequence of Brexit and stems from the same arguments in favour of self determination as drove the desire to leave the EU. We are not Unionists - either of the EU or British variety and therefore see any move towards dissolution of the Union as a positive step.

Sure. There are Leavers who welcome the breakup of the UK. There's you. There's Philip Thompson. I bet there are others. But the drivers of the Brexit project in the Tory Party and this Tory government - Johnson, Gove, the ERG - are not of that mind. So if it is the case that Brexit drives Scotland out, this will be an example of irony of the bitter variety. I don't think your observation - whilst true - changes that one iota.
    Neither am I. There are Leavers like me and DavidL who are passionate Unionists, and I bet there are others on this site too.
    Perhaps you would care to have a stab at my question. What actual practical reasons are there for union? Ones that a man from dumfries and a man from uxbridge would nod their heads and go "The man has a point"
    Great Britain is a natural geographical entity. It is a deeply integrated single market with complete freedom of movement, capital and electoral rights. That integration gives all parts of the Union more strength than they would have on their own and more opportunities for their citizens. We share a common history and a series of national institutions. We make more of a difference in the world than we would separately and largely for the good. This is a great nation and I am proud to be a part of it.

How am I doing?
    Not well. Most of that was tried by "Remain" and you know how that turned out :D:D
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,596
    LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

There you go. You can pretend you're visiting the north of England without having to leave home.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

But the Jewish Labour Movement called the decision to reinstate Mr Corbyn "extraordinary", adding: "After his failure of leadership to tackle anti-Semitism, so clearly set out in the EHRC's report, any reasonable and fair-minded observer would see Jeremy Corbyn's statement today as insincere and wholly inadequate."

I suspect Starmer's going to get to have the best of both worlds. Get the good publicity of kicking him out but then quietly letting him back in to keep the unions onside.
    I suspect that Starmer's going to get the worst of both worlds ...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

How am I doing?
    Not well. Most of that was tried by "Remain" and you know how that turned out :D:D
    No, the problem with Remain was that they DIDN'T try that. They went for Pure Project Fear and fucked it up.

A campaign with much more emphasis on proud Britain leading the EU might have done a lot better, certainly well enough to edge a narrow campaign.

DavidL's analysis is pretty good. There will an indyref2 at some point. I don't think it will be soon. The Tories will hold out as long as possible. So it is likely from 2024 onwards.

And to win it, Unionists will need much more positive arguments than Donald where's yer poond
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Remember when Britain was the WORST IN EUROPE AT COVID, A GLOBAL HELLSPOT WITH LEOPARDS EATING BABIES IN COLCHESTER TESCO

Very quietly, Britain has been over taken in deaths per million by Belgium, Spain and Italy. It will soon be over taken by the USA, Mexico and possibly even France (on present trajectories), leaving us around 15th in the world.

Truthfully, no.

Although I do remember a lot of unhinged rantings by that dull bugger Eadric to the effect that was what was about to happen.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

The UK has done some things well and done some things badly.

Most countries are variations of the same general pattern.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,479

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.
    Norovirus ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    LadyG said:

It was behind the USA's rate a month or so ago (and pretty sure Mexico's too), now it isn't, so it may be unwise to make any firm assumptions about where things will finally end up (though I would anticpate the USA to overtake us).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:

Spain and Belgium have been ahead for a long while. Italy started off ahead but we gained and overtook them during our shambolic first wave. Right now the two countries are pretty even once again.

Despite our shambolic response, the deaths so far are nowhere near - not even at the edge of the ballpark of - the predictions of some of the doomsayers on here back in the spring. Whose names escape me right now.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I suspect Starmer's going to get to have the best of both worlds. Get the good publicity of kicking him out but then quietly letting him back in to keep the unions onside.
    He didn't have a smoking gun to expel Corbyn, only suspend, so he has slapped Corbyn down to show him not to test him too much, without prompting an exodus.
  • Options

LadyG said:

That's not a very edgy comment.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LadyG said:

It was behind the USA's rate a month or so ago (and pretty sure Mexico's too), now it isn't, so it may be unwise to make any firm assumptions about where things will finally end up (though I would anticpate the USA to overtake us).
    Mexico and the USA will overtake us. France dunno

As I said right at the beginning of this a lot of countries with very different pandemic policies may end up with oddly similar outcomes. A plague is a plague is a plague

The one DEFINITE difference is the superior reaction of Asian countries (and Oz, NZ) to the West, Latam, MENA, and so on
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DeClare said:

Belgium and Peru have also passed that milestone, the whole of the US, Mexico, Brazil, the UK, Spain, France and Italy will all probably reach it this Winter.
    And why single out ND, when seven US states have more population-weighted deaths already?
    The highest is New Jersey at 1,885 deaths per million people.

Which suggests they didn't do a good job of keeping covid out of the care homes.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    isam said:

isam said:

Lucky you. Maybe it is just a coincidence but my son has been red hot ever since he had it, and the hospital are saying he has inflammation in his throat too
    It's rare, but side-effects can occur.
    (Usually they're linked with significantly greater vulnerability to the virus itself, apparently, but that's not much consolation unless the virus is epidemic).
    There are also unfortunate people who can not take vaccination - again, this is rare (and is one of the reasons why the rest of us who are not so unfortunate should be vaccinated to provide herd immunity).

If he is in hospital, he's in the best place for him, and you (and he) have my sympathy. I doubt it's very reassuring to hear how the rest of us have had no significant issues and that it's very unusual. I hope he'll be fine soon.
  • Options

Sadly, he doesn't seem to post any more which is a pity. I guess that like me he is just waiting for 2021 and the opportunity to grovel in apology when Brexit turns out to be a spiffing success.

How embarrassing this is going to be for us unreconstructed Remainers. How many years in ConHome will we be sentenced to?

Shudder.

It would be an utter hell on earth in this country if Brexit was a roaring success. I would probably emigrate.
  • Options

Shudder.

Or shall we have a Clark Gable moment as Leavers come running down the stairs in tears.....?

https://youtu.be/xLnTWxpTQt4
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

It has the virtue of being true however. Though I'd suggest we appear to have done more things badly than well, even if not all things badly.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

How am I doing?
    Not very well in my book. You seem to miss the point that the choice facing the people of Scotland is not a simple stay or leave. It is a choice of which union they wish to be in. A United Kingdom or a united Europe. Given that the EU offers them the opportunity to do all the things you suggest but on a bigger and more globally significant scale it is less a list of reasons to stay and more an encouragement to leave. So any more?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,635
    johnt said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

How am I doing?
    Not very well in my book. You seem to miss the point that the choice facing the people of Scotland is not a simple stay or leave. It is a choice of which union they wish to be in. A United Kingdom or a united Europe. Given that the EU offers them the opportunity to do all the things you suggest but on a bigger and more globally significant scale it is less a list of reasons to stay and more an encouragement to leave. So any more?
    Hmmmmmm....

Electdoral rights ... that applies to the Irish who live here.

Movement, ditto.

Common history, ditto.

National institutions? No. NHS is separate. Law is different. Kirk is different. Museums, arts. And so on. Just like Ireland.

So why can't the Scots have what the Irish (Ni or the rest) are having? EU or SM and CU at home, and free access to England.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I suspect that Starmer's going to get the worst of both worlds ...
    I don't think so. My sense is there are few genuine swing voters who need Corbyn expelled from the party in order to consider voting for Starmer's Labour. OTOH, Starmer's Labour do need to retain the support of most of those who were enthused by Corbyn before it all went wrong. So I reckon this has worked out ok.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Shudder.

It would be an utter hell on earth in this country if Brexit was a roaring success. I would probably emigrate.
    We'll be missing you! :lol:
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

So why can't the Scots have what the Irish (Ni or the rest) are having? EU or SM and CU at home, and free access to England.

If I were you I'd wait and see how that turns out for NI before getting too attached to the idea.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    edited November 2020
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Disappointed :wink:

It might not be edgy but I think its true.

I'd also say that the performance of countries / organisations / individuals during the second wave is more judgeworthy - there was more luck involved in the first wave and people have now had time to learn and prepare.

So here are some more not very edgy conclusions - the supermarkets have done well, the Treasury has surprised on the upside, Grant Shapps is an imbecile.
  • Options
    Also the idea that the EU would be keen to have another Ireland-like headache might be somewhat optimistic...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,320
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

There was no circuit breaker.
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    kinabalu said:

Shudder.

The only people who believe Brexit will be a success don't understand economics
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kinabalu said:

Shudder.

to independent scotland?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Emigrate? I seem to recall I offered to lick clean the boots of every Leaver on PB with my tongue should it prove a success.

To be honest, it would be worth it, but I fear I shall be disappointed.
  • Options
    UK R

By case data

By hospital admissions

• Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.

I love how you only comment on Tottenham second hand, as if it were a far off land with its exotic fried chicken emporia and halal groceries filled with strange foodstuffs, from which you receive the occasional terse telegram updating you on the natives' obscure customs and unknowable ways.
    North London is all a vile hell-scape anyway. Come south of the river mate, it's still buzzing down here.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Brexit could be an amazing success after 5-10 years. It is impossible to say.

Short-term pain is guaranteed, however
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Starmer has managed to tweet.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1328793679268634624

A tone of this is going to hurt me, more than it hurts you...
  • Options
    So it looks like the jump in positive cases reported last Thursday was caused by the lockdown itself with numbers now back to where they were.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

It has the virtue of being true however. Though I'd suggest we appear to have done more things badly than well, even if not all things badly.
    Yes it's easier to list what we've done well. The initial lockdown messaging. The vaccine initiatives. Some aspects of the Treasury response.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.

I love how you only comment on Tottenham second hand, as if it were a far off land with its exotic fried chicken emporia and halal groceries filled with strange foodstuffs, from which you receive the occasional terse telegram updating you on the natives' obscure customs and unknowable ways.
    North London is all a vile hell-scape anyway. Come south of the river mate, it's still buzzing down here.
    Only three pieces of advice my old man gave me:

1. Never mix the grape and the grain
    2. Never go South of the river
    3. Never marry a girl with big hands

Has served me well.
  • Options
    Some pretty awful Virus numbers coming in from the US. Could be looking at over 200,000 new cases and something in the region of 2,000 deaths.

Somebody better call the President in from the golf course.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,806

Carnyx said:

If I were you I'd wait and see how that turns out for NI before getting too attached to the idea.
    If 'No Deal' we are going to have a literal battle to stock NI's shelves aren't we? The EU running a Dublin Airlift type operation and supplying NI that way, the UK (ourselves trying to keep stocked) using the Internal Markets Bill to just ship stuff to them as a matter of honour. I'm not convinced either v will be entirely successful..
  • Options

Also the idea that the EU would be keen to have another Ireland-like headache might be somewhat optimistic...

Maybe but the principle is that all the countries in Europe have the right to join the EU. That's what I expect to hear coming from EU sources during any future Scottish Independence referendum... It may change some minds.
  • Options

UK local R

The councils which have had R below throughout the 11 day period do seem to include a lot of tier 3 areas.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    LadyG said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Genuine LOL
  • Options

Some pretty awful Virus numbers coming in from the US. Could be looking at over 200,000 new cases and something in the region of 2,000 deaths.

Somebody better call the President in from the golf course.

On the contrary, someone should make sure he stays on the golf course.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

We'll be missing you! :lol:
    I'm sure it will be a relief. The pain drain. :smile:
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,236
    So the number in ICU is similar to Germany, but deaths are much higher. Maybe the patients in ICU in Germany haven't been there long enough to die, but there was something similar in the Spring. My assumption was Germans being less worried about running out of ICU were putting less ill patients there.

Also not sure how transfers from other countries appear in the stats - out of 6 Covid patients in intensive care in my wife's hospital 2 are transfers from Belgium.

Re PCR testing they now have since a few weeks their own PCR machine, so test results come back much quicker, which obviously helps a lot. They used to courier swabs to a fairly local lab - the delay isn't so much the transport time but the fact that samples got sent off in batches so if you miss one delivery your swab might be waiting hours before it even starts moving.

Apparently impossible to source such PCR machines now. Which is perhaps one of the reasons for building 2 mega testing centres in the UK rather than prioritising more on-site capacity?

• Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Ireland is a headache because of Northern Ireland with its ambiguous status. Where do you see a similar problem with Scotland?
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hackney is heaving.

Only three pieces of advice my old man gave me:

1. Never mix the grape and the grain
    2. Never go South of the river
    3. Never marry a girl with big hands

Has served me well.
    We wouldn't want your sort down here anyway.
  • Options
    I do like the text of Corbyn's clarification of his remarks that got him suspended, in that he made clear that when he said the problem had been 'dramatically overstated', he in fact meant that concerns 'are neither exaggerated nor overstated'.

It reminds me of a gag in Coupling when Steve claimed he phrased 'Yes' badly, when he said 'No'.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

To oppose Scottish Independence but support Brexit is an oxymoron

The SNP was strongly in favour of leaving the EEC at the time of the 1975 Referendum!
  • Options
    LadyG said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Thing is, if you get too much distance between cause and effect the linkage becomes a bit tenuous and convoluted.
  • Options
    I was surprised to hear on the radio that Boris Johnson believed in evolution, even though he was caught saying that it had "been a disaster". I assumed he accepted the Darwinist proposition, but I wondered if he thought we were better off when we were swinging through the trees.

Turns out I slightly mis-heard.

--AS
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,409
    edited November 2020
    LadyG said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Fair points. (Though whilst we can't be sure what things will look like in 10 years time, we can estimate probabilities- and the odds aren't great.) But...

1. How much short-term pain is the Great British Public prepared to put up with?

2. How much short-term pain is Boris, of all possible Prime Ministers, prepared to put up with?

#EurobyEaster
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

How am I doing?
    Only a couple of million people to persuade, or rather c.200k to get you back to 50% +1.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Emigrate? I seem to recall I offered to lick clean the boots of every Leaver on PB with my tongue should it prove a success.

Yes. The tangible benefits will forever remain in that place where pies are weighed - just over the rainbow.

But the intangible benefits are immediate and real. 17m people feeling empowered and listened to. It will wear off, sure, but not for a while.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Ireland is a headache because of Northern Ireland with its ambiguous status. Where do you see a similar problem with Scotland?
    It's a very similar problem, though fortunately without the violent history: it would be a state with centuries-old and extremely close ties with England, which is by a country mile its biggest trading partner, with lots of cross-border businesses such as financial services, currently with a common currency, trying to reconcile that close relationship with membership of the more distant and less important (in trade terms) EU. A horrendous mess to untangle however you look at it. The idea that Scotland could simply join the EU overnight is cloud-cuckoo land (albeit slightly less cuckooish than the 2014 suggestion that it could leave the UK but somehow 'stay' in the EU).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

Yes. The tangible benefits will forever remain in that place where pies are weighed - just over the rainbow.

But the intangible benefits are immediate and real. 17m people feeling empowered and listened to. It will wear off, sure, but not for a while.
    I wish them joy of the worm.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

to independent scotland?
    Too cold! My sister has just moved there though. Remote farmhouse in D&G.

Will I soon need a passport to visit her?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Starmer has managed to tweet.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1328793679268634624

A tone of this is going to hurt me, more than it hurts you...

He went on to say,

‘But... we are going to have to let Sauron off from his crimes in the First Age. He has convinced me he is genuinely reformed.”
  • Options

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Disappointed :wink:

It might not be edgy but I think its true.

I'd also say that the performance of countries / organisations / individuals during the second wave is more judgeworthy - there was more luck involved in the first wave and people have now had time to learn and prepare.

So here are some more not very edgy conclusions - the supermarkets have done well, the Treasury has surprised on the upside, Grant Shapps is an imbecile.
    Shapps in particular? I can't say I've noticed him breaking from the pack.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,596

I was surprised to hear on the radio that Boris Johnson believed in evolution, even though he was caught saying that it had "been a disaster". I assumed he accepted the Darwinist proposition, but I wondered if he thought we were better off when we were swinging through the trees.

Turns out I slightly mis-heard.

--AS

You jest, but I would say that evolution has turned into a disaster for earth, as a result of producing one species capable of buggering up the planet for everyone else.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Shudder.

to independent scotland?
    Too cold! My sister has just moved there though. Remote farmhouse in D&G.

Will I soon need a passport to visit her?
    According to HYUFD and similar, D&G will remain firmly Yookayish whatever happens. In fact he will be cosplaying a Black & Tan on the streets of Wanlockhead to make it so.
This discussion has been closed.