Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s reluctance to concede could hinder his party in the Georgia Runoffs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

I noticed earlier the discussion of what is a game and what is a sport. This falls in the same category of a discussion on religion or politics; we are never going to agree.

Intrinsically we all really know and are arguing at the fringes, but more importantly we argue on how you define it.

I liked the definition of a sport is defined as one in which you can die. I have never heard that one before and generally it fits, but, but, but you still get into the fringes eg being hit in the head by a snooker ball or croquet ball while trying a hard hit, whereas you are not going to die when hit by a table tennis ball (although you might have a heart attack, but then you might while throwing a dart [particularly if you are 22 stone and on your eighth pint]).

So now you have to define what constitutes death by sport.

Just to make it more complicated, horse riding which is a hobby when not racing has a high death toll. How about mountaineering? Again doesn't feel like a sport. Gliding? These fit the deadly criteria. However to be a sport I think you need to be competing.

Plenty of competition in gliding, just saying:

https://www.wgc2020.fr
    Yep, been there, done that, when I had a girlfriend with a glider. But it is comparable to horse riding - 90+ percent is not competitive (other than against yourself).
    Fair point, but isn't the same true of running.

PS As and aside I think I noted a few years back that there do seem to be a disproportionate number of glider pilots or (as in my case) ex-glider pilots on PB for some reason.
    Yep re running. Running in a race = sport. Running to keep fit = not sport.

I would not put myself in the category of glider pilot as she wasn't my girlfriend long enough.

Two stories:

a) Thought I had really mastered the winch takeoff when it became really easy only to have my instructor shout at me he was taking over and we were going to land in a field. Something had gone wrong with the winch and we were nowhere near 800 ft.

b) On my first tug launch where I took control I could not cope with the extra speed and consequential extra maneuverability. I attempted to overtake the tug from below, above and to either side. The pilot must have been having kittens wondering where I was.
    At the risk of being labelled woke, sport is not binary but a spectrum across several levels such as competition, fitness and rules.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Bill Maher, on why the Democrats need to get over themselves, why 10m more people voted Trump than in 2016, why they lost seats in the House - and why Twitter isn’t America.

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1327478205733687297

Brilliant.
    Agree brilliant.

As someone who comes from the Jeremy Clarkson wing of the LDs, so gets particularly annoyed by this sort of thing and who also has no personal knowledge of the root and branch of the Democrats, I would be interested to know how much is genuine twats on wokeness and how much is distorted by their opponents.

In the UK you definitely get the idiots promoting nonsense, but also a lot of perfectly sensible stuff that is distorted in its application by people not using common sense, by not evaluating what is intended (jobs worth types), or by opponents distorting a perfectly good aim by exaggerating or distorting it to make it look politically correct.
    the "ladies' lingerie" affair is written about here:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/is-this-old-lingerie-joke-harmless-or-harassment/559760/

basically a trivial academic spat, which nobody comes out of looking that wonderful. but has it got anything to do with Dem politicians?

I'm quite uncomfortable with Maher's comments on this:
    https://www.thecut.com/2019/03/an-awkward-kiss-changed-how-i-saw-joe-biden.html

especially as Biden was not just an "old man trying to show support in an old man way", he was Vice-President.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

DiT Webinar: "You will need at least 9 additional procedures" in supply chain processes from 1/1/21. Oh goody! Glad that we are cutting costs and red tape.

9 at the moment - I'm sure they haven't identified them all yet and more will be discovered...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ALASKA UPDATE

With all the Mail ballots counted Trump has got a 35,000 vote lead. a 10% margin.

I am now willing to move the state to FIRM TRUMP

@Quincel
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited November 2020
    Farage is being interviewed on Talk Radio by Mike Graham atm. Peter Hitchens will be on later.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klug0fBfmtk
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,214
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is convenient to have the opportunity to be seen following the guidelines to the letter as he parts company with Cummings
    Good point. Clear blue water.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

I noticed earlier the discussion of what is a game and what is a sport. This falls in the same category of a discussion on religion or politics; we are never going to agree.

Intrinsically we all really know and are arguing at the fringes, but more importantly we argue on how you define it.

I liked the definition of a sport is defined as one in which you can die. I have never heard that one before and generally it fits, but, but, but you still get into the fringes eg being hit in the head by a snooker ball or croquet ball while trying a hard hit, whereas you are not going to die when hit by a table tennis ball (although you might have a heart attack, but then you might while throwing a dart [particularly if you are 22 stone and on your eighth pint]).

Just to make it more complicated, horse riding which is a hobby when not racing has a high death toll. How about mountaineering? Again doesn't feel like a sport. Gliding? These fit the deadly criteria. However to be a sport I think you need to be competing.

Yep, been there, done that, when I had a girlfriend with a glider. But it is comparable to horse riding - 90+ percent is not competitive (other than against yourself).

PS As and aside I think I noted a few years back that there do seem to be a disproportionate number of glider pilots or (as in my case) ex-glider pilots on PB for some reason.

I would not put myself in the category of glider pilot as she wasn't my girlfriend long enough.

Two stories:

a) Thought I had really mastered the winch takeoff when it became really easy only to have my instructor shout at me he was taking over and we were going to land in a field. Something had gone wrong with the winch and we were nowhere near 800 ft.

b) On my first tug launch where I took control I could not cope with the extra speed and consequential extra maneuverability. I attempted to overtake the tug from below, above and to either side. The pilot must have been having kittens wondering where I was.
    Haha, been there, done that.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

I will chuckle when Rashford isn't nominated for SPOTY.

Yes. Got to be innit to winnit. There's no "write in" option on the voting.
    I did suggest that that could be the BBC's get out option if they didn't want to be seen to make a call on this. Revert to the old write-in model, and let the people decide.

But if they were going to do that, they'd have said so by now.
    Who gets on the shortlist is interesting. This year putting Rashford on is imo tantamount to giving it to him. We'll see what they do.

O'Sullivan is interesting too. Never on the shortlist in previous years is odd. Made me wonder whether they asked him and he said no interest. If he's not on it again this year I will conclude something like that.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Scott_xP said:

Completely off topic, does anyone know why BT cannot stop call number spoofing?

Just getting another plague of scam/phishing calls on our landline. Bloody irritating!

Get one of these

https://www.cprcallblocker.com/

Thanks Scott, I'll take a look.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Trump won Alaska by 14.5% in 2016
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

Surely it's just a sliding scale from needing to be athletic to not. Athletics et al are sports in their purest forms, whilst board games are games in their purest form.

In between it's a continuum. Golf is a tricky one. Very much more of a game than something like tennis, but it's moved towards the sport end of the spectrum in recent decades.
    You need to be athletic to be part of a colla castellera, or to perform in certain circus roles. And they can even be done competitively. But I wouldn't call them sports.
    Ballroom dancing ≠ not a sport. Figure skating = a sport.

How does that work?
    Ballroom dancing doesn't need the Olympics, we have Strictly already which is far better and also on every year!
    I think even if Ballroom and Latin was in the Olympics the likes of Anton du Beke would prioritize Strictly. It's like the World Cup for those guys.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,572

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Two stories:

At the risk of being labelled woke, sport is not binary but a spectrum across several levels such as competition, fitness and rules.
    Yep

As per my first post. I think we will all agree on 90+% of it as obvious and the rest is woolly, even within some activities eg for me driving down the road to the shops is not a sport obviously; F1 is. Rallying (Sport or hobby?) guess it might be to the degree it is competitive and people will disagree.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

I've just watched Farage's latest video on FB. He really is a phenomenal political communicator and he fucking hates Johnson and 👸 🥜🥜.

Back to form. Let’s hope he gets over Donald nice and quick

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/1328250559128883200?s=21
    What a waste of political energy. All his communicative talents are visible in the first part of video, and you even begin to see the faint outlines of a full human being ; and then everything shifts on its axis ..

" I'm going to say something, I hope it isn't too much, and won't shock you, for you on a Sunday afternoon ladies and gentlemen, but it's about ..
    Immigration."

What a shocking, brave rogue you are, Nige ! The end as he winds up with all the gradually rising intonations, angry and calculated pauses, is textbook sub-fascist oratory, in the 21st century version - an anglicised US talk radio shockjock who loves his own sense of "edge".
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445

Just getting another plague of scam/phishing calls on our landline. Bloody irritating!

We get the Amazon Prime scam call on a regular basis.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    Scott_xP said:

I see BJ is giving the 'fit as a butcher's dog' shite another run out. It's a mystery why people think the hackneyed cliché monger is some sort of talented wordsmith.

I was pondering this morning who might write his memoirs.

If he does it himself they will be unreadable
    Well, all he needs is an ouija board and P. G. Wodehouse's there to do the job.
  • Options

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

I've just watched Farage's latest video on FB. He really is a phenomenal political communicator and he fucking hates Johnson and 👸 🥜🥜.

While I utterly detest Farage and wouldn't ever vote for him, I can understand why people like him, which isn't the case with Johnson who is so obviously a fake.
    Used to really rate him but his foray into the bowels of Trump has soiled him irrevocably in my eyes. There's no coming back from that.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:
    Anybody who uses a space before an exclamation mark or a question mark deserves to be incarcerated for a lot longer than 2 weeks.
    I mean, we all knew the man was a monster, but even I didn't realise he was this bad.
    He's always been a monster in my eyes for years when he persistently failed to use the Oxford Comma in his articles.
    Nobody at my university uses the Oxford Comma. It's infuriating.
    Use it yourself, and rejoice in your rightness.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

Surely it's just a sliding scale from needing to be athletic to not. Athletics et al are sports in their purest forms, whilst board games are games in their purest form.

In between it's a continuum. Golf is a tricky one. Very much more of a game than something like tennis, but it's moved towards the sport end of the spectrum in recent decades.
    You need to be athletic to be part of a colla castellera, or to perform in certain circus roles. And they can even be done competitively. But I wouldn't call them sports.
    Ballroom dancing ≠ not a sport. Figure skating = a sport.

How does that work?
    Ballroom dancing doesn't need the Olympics, we have Strictly already which is far better and also on every year!
    I think even if Ballroom and Latin was in the Olympics the likes of Anton du Beke would prioritize Strictly. It's like the World Cup for those guys.
    Basketball players prioritise the NBA over the Olympics, does that make it a non sport?

Strictly is clearly different - for the elite dancer it is more coaching than dancing.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

In the latest Brexit triumph, it looks like the government is on course to do huge damage to the fishing industry.
    https://twitter.com/bbcmartynoates/status/1327958985614495744?s=21

Wow who could have predicted this?
    So all the fish that this whole business is about, if you believe the Tories, will end up not being caught by anyone at all?

Its a shocker. Someone on Twitter is pointing out that one of the signatories of the "we're fucked" letter was, back in 2016, openly mocking the "project fear" realities that he is now signing a letter against.

I don't blame the fishermen - the CFP didn't work for them. What perhaps they weren't considering was that having been freed from the CFP the government would also actively free them from their export market.
    Well, some fish processorts at least hav ebeen fretting all year (e.g. this, which I have posted before, from the wee port whence I get my fish: at least at present ...)

https://www.berwickshirenews.co.uk/news/d-r-collin-facing-reality-brexit-114194
  • Options

I see BJ is giving the 'fit as a butcher's dog' shite another run out. It's a mystery why people think the hackneyed cliché monger is some sort of talented wordsmith.

It's a minor gift indeed but the sad thing is that it's probably his biggest one.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

While I utterly detest Farage and wouldn't ever vote for him, I can understand why people like him, which isn't the case with Johnson who is so obviously a fake.
    Used to really rate him but his foray into the bowels of Trump has soiled him irrevocably in my eyes. There's no coming back from that.
    You probably need to work on the difference between:

1. An effective politician; and
    2. A politician you don't agree with.

Nige is both of course and the latter doesn't alter the former.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    Andy_JS said:

So do we, and a damn nuisance they are. What's even more infuriating is that there isn't a human at the other end, to whom you can be creatively rude.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

So do we, and a damn nuisance they are. What's even more infuriating is that there isn't a human at the other end, to whom you can be creatively rude.
    It is the best thing with those 'We understand you were in a car accident in the last five years'

I like stringing them along for a few minutes, tell them about an accident for about 5 minutes then at the end say 'Oh I was really drunk at the time, and high on cocaine at the time, will I still be able to get compensation?'
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Dura_Ace said:

Now that's funny!! 👸 🥜🥜
  • Options
    kamski said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Bill Maher, on why the Democrats need to get over themselves, why 10m more people voted Trump than in 2016, why they lost seats in the House - and why Twitter isn’t America.

Brilliant.
    Agree brilliant.

As someone who comes from the Jeremy Clarkson wing of the LDs, so gets particularly annoyed by this sort of thing and who also has no personal knowledge of the root and branch of the Democrats, I would be interested to know how much is genuine twats on wokeness and how much is distorted by their opponents.

In the UK you definitely get the idiots promoting nonsense, but also a lot of perfectly sensible stuff that is distorted in its application by people not using common sense, by not evaluating what is intended (jobs worth types), or by opponents distorting a perfectly good aim by exaggerating or distorting it to make it look politically correct.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/is-this-old-lingerie-joke-harmless-or-harassment/559760/

basically a trivial academic spat, which nobody comes out of looking that wonderful. but has it got anything to do with Dem politicians?

especially as Biden was not just an "old man trying to show support in an old man way", he was Vice-President.
    I agree completely.

The first is a harmless joke and the world would be a lot sadder without these jokes. Nobody should take offence.

The second is not so. I do find him a bit too much touchy feely for my liking. There are lots of these. Some harmless, like him kissing the head of his granddaughter at the funeral of her father. Others however make me feel a bit uncomfortable, but then I am not a touchy feely person. Having read the article you linked I agree with you.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    RE SPOTY...I notice in recent weeks the BBC pumping up Lewis Hamilton, not only winning again in F1, equal with Schumacher for titles, but all his social justice and eco campaigning. Ticks a lot of BBC boxes and conspiectous absence of talk about his tax dodging in their reporting of his inspiration acts.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

But that's my point. I have always hated his politics but I used to rate him highly as a politician. Reason I don't so much now is that he has made himself look a total pillock with his softhead Trumpery. Still, he'll always have 23/6/16. That was a higher peak than most achieve.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It is the best thing with those 'We understand you were in a car accident in the last five years'

I like stringing them along for a few minutes, tell them about an accident for about 5 minutes then at the end say 'Oh I was really drunk at the time, and high on cocaine at the time, will I still be able to get compensation?'
    The 'Microsoft Technical Department' calls of a few years ago were good for that. Ten minutes of 'doing' whatever they wanted, and then say something like 'Apple doesn't work like that.'
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Absolutely. For US Republican politicians, there is at least the excuse that they are compromised by Trump's complete takeover of the Republican Party and face a choice between going along with his attempt to subvert democracy or sacrificing their own politican ambitions. Farage is free of all that yet still indulges and reinforces Trump's fantasies.

Any claim that Farage had to be a politician that respected democratic norms has disappeared. He's turning into the modern equivalent of Oswald Mosley.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

A long long time ago I can still remember how the Brexit used to make him smile.
    Oh, and while the king was looking down
    The jester stole his thorny crown
  • Options

RE SPOTY...I notice in recent weeks the BBC pumping up Lewis Hamilton, not only winning again in F1, equal with Schumacher for titles, but all his social justice and eco campaigning. Ticks a lot of BBC boxes and conspiectous absence of talk about his tax dodging in their reporting of his inspiration acts.

Be even better if he wasn't a tax-exile in Monaco (?) though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

And the obviously winning sports 'personality' of the year is Marcus Rashford. By a million miles.

Lewis Hamilton.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849

That is one reason the call blocker is so great. You get the endorphin rush of pressing the big red button!
  • Options
    DiT Webinar: Now they're talking about the importance of the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (which doesn't yet exist). The joy of this is that for the 6 months phased onboarding of different types of goods, they will be onboarded onto legacy systems which then get replaced by GVMS from July.

That sounds like a 2nd chaotic event 6 months after the first! For imports it will be *great*. Before you import or export you need to generate a Goods Movement Reference that has all of the paperwork for each type of goods onboard (an awful lot of paperwork for food mixed loads...). Before arrival the border the GMR will have been checked so that the driver knows if the paperwork is ok to be checked at the Border Control Port or if the goods will be "temporarily" lodged for inspection. Note that drivers won't know if the load passes until after they have set off!

Which explains the need for the Kent Access Permit. You can't send trucks off towards the channel not knowing if they will pass or not - and the system is designed to only decide that after they set off. The KAP at least ensures that the paperwork required has been gathered and submitted into a GMR. Not that it will actually be valid and acceptable for VAT / Excise purposes before it is allowed to leave...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    This is an interesting thought, but do we think many GOP voters will still think in January that Trump might hold on? Surely by then the vast majority will either accept he lost or think he was cheated out of a second term, the latter might even raise their turnout likelihood.

With regret I'm leaning towards just backing the GOP in both seats.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    edited November 2020
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Two stories:

I often pondered what the response would be if someone tried to invent gliding today.

First meeting with the health and safety executive:
    “So, how will this engineless plane get up into the air?”

“Well, we’ve got a couple of ideas - we could use a rope to tie it to the back of a powered aeroplane and take off with them connected together, or we could get a piece of steel cable a mile long, and use a big winch to wind it in at 60mph while the guy in the glider points it at the sky...”

:open_mouth:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

A long long time ago I can still remember how the Brexit used to make him smile.
    I really don't understand why Farage doesn't retire (or move on to a second career, back into trading or just as a media personality or something). He's getting basically everything he ever wanted yet he doesn't seem to feel like a success.
  • Options
    The Johnson conundrum:
    1. Politically, he cannot do a trade deal with the EU.
    2. Economically, he cannot not do a trade deal with the EU.
    Because Johnson is not in politics for the good of the British people or business, 1 will trump 2 every single time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Two stories:

I always pondered what the response would be if someone tried to invent gliding today.

“Well, we’ve got a couple of ideas - we could use a rope to tie it to the back of a powered aeroplane and take off with them connected together, or we could get a piece of steel cable a mile long, and use a big winch to wind it in at 60mph while the guy in the glider points it at the sky...”

You forgot the elastic band. My wife was very taken with seeing it in action, on the powered (but barely so) English Electric Wren at Old Warden some years back.
  • Options
    King Cole, plenty of F1 drivers choose to take that route.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

A politician who is loathed by 3/4 of the population even if loved by the other 1/4 can never be really successful. Even Trump managed to fire up enough opponents to see him off. People like Farage need a fascist revival before they 'll become more than a joke.
  • Options
    DiT Webinar: Now they're talking about stuff imported from RoW into the UK via Zeebrugge / Rotterdam. Have confirmed that before this stuff leaves NL full import paperwork will need to be done. Which will of course make it all cheaper than it is now and definitely cheaper than everyone in the EU will get it with their lack of additional paperwork & costs.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

This is an interesting thought, but do we think many GOP voters will still think in January that Trump might hold on? Surely by then the vast majority will either accept he lost or think he was cheated out of a second term, the latter might even raise their turnout likelihood.

I'm backing the GOP for different reasons.

Once the electoral college meets and confirms Biden as the winner the dynamic will change in Georgia.

The dynamic will be stop the Dems from controlling all three of the White House, House, and Senate, that'll get GOPers in Georgia out and voting.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020

Be even better if he wasn't a tax-exile in Monaco (?) though.
    We don't talk about that now, nor his 27 gas guzzling cars or his jetting all over the world to sail about on private yachts....
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:
    Anybody who uses a space before an exclamation mark or a question mark deserves to be incarcerated for a lot longer than 2 weeks.
    I mean, we all knew the man was a monster, but even I didn't realise he was this bad.
    He's always been a monster in my eyes for years when he persistently failed to use the Oxford Comma in his articles.
    At least he doesn't use the Brexit apostrophe. I still see lot's of people using that in many place's but Boris know's its not required.
    Nice, it should henceforth be referred to as the 'Brexit Apostrophe'.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The 'Microsoft Technical Department' calls of a few years ago were good for that. Ten minutes of 'doing' whatever they wanted, and then say something like 'Apple doesn't work like that.'
    They used to call my office every day - which sadly for them, was the support team for a software company.

Endless hours of fun, we kept a book on who could keep them talking for the longest. :D
  • Options

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

:smile:

I wrote a long verse poem to the exact tune - "Brexit Pie" - which I considered floating on here. But it IS long.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849

The Johnson conundrum:
    Because Johnson is not in politics for the good of the British people or business, 1 will trump 2 every single time.

1 leads to a political crisis, but so does 2...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Is there any app that can deal with that situation in a satisfactory manner?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Two stories:

I often pondered what the response would be if someone tried to invent gliding today.

Explaining the powered glider would also be interesting - 'You've got an engine, but you propose to turn it off?'
  • Options

King Cole, plenty of F1 drivers choose to take that route.

This is true, but with respect I don't see how it defends his actions. The fact is Hamilton is a grown man who is perfectly capable of deciding not to do what others do, and I think judging him on his choices is entirely fair. Some will have a different view, but I think tax exiles aren't right to be SPOTY because it shows a selfishness which is at odds with what the prize is meant to reward.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The Johnson conundrum:

Fudge and delay.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited November 2020
    RobD said:

Is there any app that can deal with that situation in a satisfactory manner?
    Ignoring the fact that this is an admission that the courts aren't Covid-19 compliant can we start turning off the app in other busy places like restaurants?

Wouldn't it be better to know that you've been in contact with someone with Covid-19 lest you spread it yourself?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020
    SPOTY - If we are talking personality it's surely Rashford but if sport it absolutely 100% has to be Hamilton surely?

Sporting wise has Rashford achieved anything at all this year?

If it does at it is going to a footballer then sports wise Henderson deserves it much more than Rashford.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

But that's my point. I have always hated his politics but I used to rate him highly as a politician. Reason I don't so much now is that he has made himself look a total pillock with his softhead Trumpery. Still, he'll always have 23/6/16. That was a higher peak than most achieve.
    Yes that is a fair point. Although it is perfectly acceptable to be a Trump supporter and also an effective politician albeit Trump lost so not so effective winner-backing-wise.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    kjh said:

kamski said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Brilliant.
    Agree brilliant.

I agree completely.

The first is a harmless joke and the world would be a lot sadder without these jokes. Nobody should take offence.

The second is not so. I do find him a bit too much touchy feely for my liking. There are lots of these. Some harmless, like him kissing the head of his granddaughter at the funeral of her father. Others however make me feel a bit uncomfortable, but then I am not a touchy feely person. Having read the article you linked I agree with you.
    Yes, I don't really know enough about the accusations of Biden being creepy to make a judgment - I'd like to think he's innocent! But I find Maher saying that a woman saying she didn't like the way a powerful man touched her and kissed her (and smelt her hair) should just get used to it or stay at home, actually quite creepy in itself.
  • Options

The Johnson conundrum:

Do not think so. For me the politics steers to a deal. I think he can handle flak from the headbangers much easier than that from a WTO crash out.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

When they say am I speaking to Mr Topping, I don't answer but immediately ask "so how much will I get"? And push them to give me a figure and then when they eventually name one push them on why so low.

I know - it's their job so not fair to abuse them as they are paid to do it but one must take one's amusements where one can.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

I really don't understand why Farage doesn't retire (or move on to a second career, back into trading or just as a media personality or something). He's getting basically everything he ever wanted yet he doesn't seem to feel like a success.
    I suppose he's hooked on being a player.
  • Options

SPOTY - If we are talking personality it's surely Rashford but if sport it absolutely 100% has to be Hamilton surely?

If it does at it is going to a footballer then sports wise Henderson deserves it much more than Rashford.

Rashford couldn't get past three semis this year.

#WouldViagraHelp?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The Johnson conundrum:

1 leads to an immediate political crisis, 2 leads to the long-term destruction of the Conservative Party and the total evisceration of what little is left of Boris Johnson's reputation (not to mention spectacular damage to the UK). So logically he should choose 1, but his entire life has been based on going for the short-term and letting the long-term go hang. Hard to say which it will be this time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

They used to call my office every day - which sadly for them, was the support team for a software company.

Endless hours of fun, we kept a book on who could keep them talking for the longest. :D
    A few techniques I have tried is putting them on hold listening to music and getting them to repeatedly call back because I was too busy, but I was really interested in what they were telling me.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

I wrote a long verse poem to the exact tune - "Brexit Pie" - which I considered floating on here. But it IS long.
    Definitely post it.

That line I quoted amused me since people here always call Boris a clown, it fits too well.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The Johnson conundrum:

The difference is that Option 1 leads to a definite political crisis now. Option 2 leads to a political crisis at some point in the future, and (if your spectacles are rose-tinted enough) gives you the option to claim that there won't be an economic problem at all.

Most governments would be willing to balance the risk of a crisis now against a potentially worse one later. But this is a Boris Johnson government, and thinking beyond the end of his nose isn't something he is renowned for.
  • Options

I am not sure SPOTY has anything to do with persoanlity....see Giggs and 3 time winner Andy Murray.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And the obviously winning sports 'personality' of the year is Marcus Rashford. By a million miles.

Lewis Hamilton.
    "Personality"-wise there is no contest. It's The Gypsy King, closely followed by Rocket Ronnie.

They should change the name of the award.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited November 2020
    Boris Johnson does not look well.

I know it has been said before but it's really noticeable today.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

The 38 Sea Harrier FRS1 that were rebuilt into FA2s occasionally became involuntary gliders due to gash electrical systems. The 18 'new builds' were good and much prized by those that didn't fancy swimming back to the carrier.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176
    edited November 2020
    DiT Webinar: Food labelling is changing in GB only. In NI the EU labelling rules will be required. So to sell the same food in the same shops in the same country two separate labels will be needed (albeit from Sept22). Which means two separate SKUs, two separate pallet spaces, two separate shipping routes etc etc for what is currently all one.

So that's definitely going to make things cheaper for consumers. Or - make things cheaper and make NI effectively an extension of the ROI marketplace. As opposed to the other way round as so often is the case at the moment in grocery.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Andy_JS said:

The 'BT Technical Department' seemed to be pretty impervious to 'This isn't a BT line'!
  • Options
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

A politician who is loathed by 3/4 of the population even if loved by the other 1/4 can never be really successful. Even Trump managed to fire up enough opponents to see him off. People like Farage need a fascist revival before they 'll become more than a joke.
    There has been a fascist revival. Just because they don't wear silly uniforms (well not in public anyway) and talk about liquidating swathes of people they don't like doesn't mean that they are not very real and very dangerous. Brexit is the manifestation of 21st century fascism; divisive and irrational, it has fed off all the same fears and loathing that fascism has always sought to exploit. Johnson is clearly not a fascist, a populist egotist perhaps, but he has been a very useful idiot for the likes of Farage and Putin, both of whom most definitely are.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited November 2020

Not if it's sports personality.

Hamilton has none. Or, rather, the little he does have is odious.

And driving an engine round and round a track isn't sport.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The Johnson conundrum:

1 leads to an immediate political crisis, 2 leads to the long-term destruction of the Conservative Party and the total evisceration of what little is left of Boris Johnson's reputation (not to mention spectacular damage to the UK). So logically he should choose 1, but his entire life has been based on going for the short-term and letting the long-term go hang. Hard to say which it will be this time.
    2 is no big deal. Greatly, greatly exaggerated.

Though we will never find out since it's unlikely to happen all the headless chicken screaming here that it'll be the end of the world is no different to the same pre-Referendum. Same old tired story.
  • Options

Just because he offends your white supremacy doesn't make him odious.

He clearly has a lot of personality which is why he rubs you up the wrong way.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The Johnson conundrum:

2 is no big deal. Greatly, greatly exaggerated.

Though we will never find out since it's unlikely to happen all the headless chicken screaming here that it'll be the end of the world is no different to the same pre-Referendum. Same old tired story.
    24/7 keyboard warrior with no apparent experience or understanding of business economics says it will all be fine. I feel greatly reassured.
  • Options
    BBC News - Covid: Visitor tests in all care homes in England 'by Christmas'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54959012

6 months too late.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The Johnson conundrum:

Do not think so. For me the politics steers to a deal. I think he can handle flak from the headbangers much easier than that from a WTO crash out.
    The way I see it, the ERG owns a WTO deal as much as Johnson does, so politically they will be much less trouble for him if we go to No Deal - in fact, they will love him. And the ERG basically owns the Conservative party these days. Johnson is not thinking about a wider constituency than that.

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Destroying your country's economy and your party in under a year will do that to you, I guess.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,346
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Very good. Thanks for posting. If I had a vote I`d struggle to vote Dem at the moment - unless it was to unseat a giant orange turd like Trump. That pretty much sums up the 2020 election.
    Maher has been saying the same thing about ‘cancel culture’ and freedom of speech for years now, he’s a staunch Democrat but sees them talking to themselves and appealing to a small but vocal minority on Twitter.

Comedians in general have been good on this stuff, see also Dave Chapelle. They were among the first people to realise the power of Trump, as they toured the small towns of the country and saw a very different world to that in NY and CA.

The analysis of what just happened says that people voted for not-Trump, but didn’t vote positively for Democrats elsewhere.
    Maher appears to be doing his own little bit of cancelling when he ridicules the term Latinx.
    While it's true that its use in Hispanic communities is relatively rare, it's a term of self-identification for some.
    https://www.history.com/news/hispanic-latino-latinx-chicano-background

I take the view that you call people what they want to be called. No doubt the Democrats will come round to that in time.
    It's a principle that seems quite antipathetic to Trump's version of Republicanism.
    It wasn’t Maher that said don’t use the term, it was the congressman.

What Maher is getting at is the identity politics, and lazy assumptions that all people who look the same think the same.

If 10% of South Americans in the USA like the use of a particular term, 20% are ambivalent about it, but 70% hate it and find it offensive or patronising, then it’s probably not a good idea to keep using it in public - even if everyone you know is in the 10% group.
    Like I said, call people what they want to be called.
    If that means addressing different communities on their own terms, rather than assuming that Latino Americans are a monolithic group, so much the better.
  • Options

Roger said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

There has been a fascist revival. Just because they don't wear silly uniforms (well not in public anyway) and talk about liquidating swathes of people they don't like doesn't mean that they are not very real and very dangerous. Brexit is the manifestation of 21st century fascism; divisive and irrational, it has fed off all the same fears and loathing that fascism has always sought to exploit. Johnson is clearly not a fascist, a populist egotist perhaps, but he has been a very useful idiot for the likes of Farage and Putin, both of whom most definitely are.
    I don't see any evidence of Farage being a fascist. Putin yes, Johnson obviously no.
    Brexit is also not fascist. Even though the fascists were keen supports of Brexit, they comprise a tiny minority of its supporters. The worst you can say for the majority of Brexit campaigners is that they failed to properly repudiate the fascists in their wings. That alone is damning enough, but it's not enough to call them fascists themselves.
  • Options

Quincel said:

I'm backing the GOP for different reasons.

Once the electoral college meets and confirms Biden as the winner the dynamic will change in Georgia.

The dynamic will be stop the Dems from controlling all three of the White House, House, and Senate, that'll get GOPers in Georgia out and voting.
    It will be interesting as the Dems actually have a very good ground game in Georgia now. So I think they will keep up momentum and we might see 2 very very tight races, as being in control of all 3 levels as a reason to vote could energise both sides to turn up.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,346
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

I think this is a very good point by Mike and a great tip with SMarkets.

I'm on Ossoff at 2/1 with Betfair Sportsbook.

Speaking of Betfair, they are still not settling up on Biden 300-329 ECVs. I think this is really poor and I have complained. What with this and the kind of shenanigans that Mike highlights I am not impressed with them right now.

Saying the same thing every morning won’t make Betfair settle early. Remember they’re a broker not a bookmaker, it’s not their money they’ll be paying out. It’ll be settled when the results are final.

When they do finally pay out, put everything of Lewis Hamilton for the Sports Personality award, he’s 1.85 on Betfair at the moment, but who else has any significant sporting achievements this year?
    All this talk of wokery....can anyone in good conscience be happy making money out of an aggressive tax avoider who earns $54 million a year?
    Pretty sure he pays more UK tax than you (and probably any of us) do, Roger.
  • Options

Destroying your country's economy and your party in under a year will do that to you, I guess.
    I've had to turn the BBC News page off, as it's got a large pic of a definitely poorly-looking Boris. Very unpleasant on two counts!
  • Options

Here’s a short interview from him yesterday, comes across to me as humble, grateful and aware of the platform he has to inspire others and change things in the world. A worthy champion, and quite different from how people perceive him based on what he was like a decade ago as a 23 year old rookie.
    https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=DXwlhmJBkIY
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Definitely post it.

That line I quoted amused me since people here always call Boris a clown, it fits too well.
    In chunks maybe -

A long long time ago
    I can still remember how
    The Brexit used to make me smile
    And I knew if we had our chance
    That we would get one up on France
    And we could beat the Germans by a mile

But Parliament would always dither
    Instead of trying to deliver
    Bad news on our doorstep
    We couldn’t take one more step

I’m not ashamed to say I cried
    When I found that even Boris lied
    And now it seems our hands are tied
    The day the Brexit died

So why why was it not Do or Die?
    Brexit stolen from the People, what a poke in the eye
    Them good ole boys are eating pasties and pies
    Singing all the liberal traitors must die
    All the liberal traitors must die.
  • Options
    DiT Webinar: Onto the Kent Access Permit. A demo site "Check an HGV is ready to Cross the Border" is ready for testing. It WILL be required for use from 1/1/21 despite not yet having been completed beyond a testing phase. For non-Kent ports the same paperwork is mandatory from 1/1/21 just without the system (which doesn't yet work beyond initial testing) generating a KAP

Operation Brock. Trucks carrying live animals will be fast-tracked to be removed from the Brock queues to be prioritised at the Port queues. So that's confirmation that as well as the vast car parks (locations, capacities and capabilities TBC remember) being built that Brock will be turning Kent's motorways into car parks.
  • Options

When they wrote the script for this
    Did they intend to take the piss?
    ‘Cos that’s how it looks to me
    When we went down in June Sixteen
    We voted Leave and we were keen
    Now here we are just crying in our beer

Well I know that the result was tight
    And it’s true that we are not too bright
    Did not do what we’re told
    ‘Cos man we’re sick of all these Poles

I was an angry fifty something man
    With a wife and kids and a small white van
    But I knew shit had hit the fan
    The day that Brexit died
    I started singing

Bye bye it was not Do or Die
    Those good ole boys are eating pasties and pies
    All the liberal traitors must die

Now for three years we’ve been up the creek
    And Jean Claude Juncker has the cheek
    To tell us how it ought to be

When the People said Take Back Control
    What they meant by this God only knows
    But their voice was loud and it was clear

Then while we stopped and faffed around
    The traitors came and stole the crown
    Our chance for glory spurned
    The whole thing got adjourned

And while Corbyn read a book on Marx
    Remainers marched in Regents Park
    And Leave got shafted up the arse
    The day that Brexit died
    We were singing

Why why was it not Do or Die?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I've had to turn the BBC News page off, as it's got a large pic of a definitely poorly-looking Boris. Very unpleasant on two counts!
    I mean I know it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things but does he look in the mirror, examine what he sees, and then say to himself: "Yep, Prime Ministerial 100%."

Nor do I want to sound like my father but for goodness sake man brush your hair. You are not in an ad for hair product.

Edit: and if I was perhaps suspected of having the virus and/or wanted to show myself to be fit as a fiddle I'd actually put a suit and tie on and try to look immaculate (and brush my hair...).
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Sandpit said:

Here’s a short interview from him yesterday, comes across to me as humble, grateful and aware of the platform he has to inspire others and change things in the world. A worthy champion, and quite different from how people perceive him based on what he was like a decade ago as a 23 year old rookie.
    https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=DXwlhmJBkIY
    I hate every car he owns apart from his LaF and his SLS.
  • Options

Helter skelter in the summer swelter
    When Soubry speaks you wanna just belt her
    Brexit screwed and fading fast

No way now that it can pass
    There’s no-one even kicking ass
    And Starmer on the sidelines thinking fast

Now the EU guy was Donald Tusk
    And he toiled hard from dawn to dusk
    Dave Davis he took a stance
    Oh, but he never had a chance

Because when he tried to grasp the screed
    The Deal was just too hard to read
    Said that it made his eyeballs bleed
    The day that Brexit died
    We started singing

Saying all the liberal traitors must die

So I called Leaver mobs to my place
    Fury etched across my face
    Said time has come to light the flames

So c’mon lads be troopers, follow me
    We got to set this country free and
    Tony is the devil not our friend

But when he climbed upon the stage
    From us came only fits of rage
    No snowball’s chance in hell
    To break this Quisling’s spell

And as the cheers rang loud into the night
    Their Ode to Joy sung just to spite
    I saw Merkel laughing with delight
    The day that Brexit died
    I started singing

I met a friend who voted Leave
    And asked her if she still believed
    But she just shrugged and turned away

I went on down to the Poundland store
    Where I’d heard the rumblings weeks before
    And a man there said the bastards had to pay

In Weatherspoons the punters steamed
    They stared at space, no longer dreamed
    Of chains of Europe broken
    Those words they all were token

And the man they trusted like a priest
    Thought Nige would stay and fight at least
    He’d caught the last plane for Belize
    The day that Brexit died

And so we’re singing

Yeah we’re singing

FIN - :smile:
  • Options

kinabalu said:

The Johnson conundrum:

The way I see it, the ERG owns a WTO deal as much as Johnson does, so politically they will be much less trouble for him if we go to No Deal - in fact, they will love him. And the ERG basically owns the Conservative party these days. Johnson is not thinking about a wider constituency than that.

Also, there's a parallel with the Trump issue in the header.

Logically, there must be quite a lot of senior Republican figures who can count, know that the game is up for Trump 2020, and have long-term ambitions of their own. Those ambitions won't be helped by being tied to the clowncar crash of Trump continuing to deny his defeat.
    But it's in nobody's interest to be the first to put their head above the parapet. So they wait for someone else to have their head blown off first. So the car crash continues, because nobody stops it.

Logically, there must be quite a lot of senior Conservative figures who can recognise that the UK really isn't ready to leave transition in six weeks time and have long-term ambitions of their own. Those ambitions won't be helped by being tied to the clowncar crash which is likely to follow from changes in trade rules for which neither business or government are remotely prepared...
  • Options
    Decent effort Kinabalu but not your best work I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Definitely post it.

In chunks maybe -

A long long time ago
    I can still remember how
    The Brexit used to make me smile
    And I knew if we had our chance
    That we would get one up on France
    And we could beat the Germans by a mile

But Parliament would always dither
    Instead of trying to deliver
    Bad news on our doorstep
    We couldn’t take one more step

I’m not ashamed to say I cried
    When I found that even Boris lied
    And now it seems our hands are tied
    The day the Brexit died

So why why was it not Do or Die?
    An improvement on the original song, which is massively overrated sub-Dylan self-important garbage. This by contrast is very clever.
  • Options
    The transport bit of this Webinar was the funniest bit. Despite the car parks that are causing so much upset in places like Ashford the plan is still to shut the M20 for truck parking. And need to expedite the removal of trucks from the Brock queues to allow them to actually transition through the port before the livestock on board dies.

That's according to the DfT. I know that Philip insists that none of this is going to happen, but the people who are implementing it insist it is...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

The transport bit of this Webinar was the funniest bit. Despite the car parks that are causing so much upset in places like Ashford the plan is still to shut the M20 for truck parking. And need to expedite the removal of trucks from the Brock queues to allow them to actually transition through the port before the livestock on board dies.

That's according to the DfT. I know that Philip insists that none of this is going to happen, but the people who are implementing it insist it is...

Philip's world and reality are very different places.

What is going to be interesting is seeing how they collide in January as reality bites.
This discussion has been closed.