Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Legendary Republican political strategist, Karl Rove, says the WH2020 outcome will be hard to overtu

12345679»

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    UK R

UK case summary

UK hospitals

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

HYUFD said:

Some good news for Trump re his legacy at least

https://twitter.com/sullydish/status/1326902077231083520?s=20

Incredibly dodgy cherry-picking to choose 1999 as the start point, because there was no growth in US real median household income at all in the following ten years due to the dot-com crash and financial crash. By the time Trump took over from Obama, there was robust growth in incomes... which in fairness continued under Trump (although query how much that's fueled by a large and unsustainable budget deficit).

I think it's very early to assess Trump's economic legacy. He was President in good economic times (extreme turbulence of the past nine months aside), but the extent to which that was because of or despite him is probably only one that will become clear much later.
    The graph in the article shows that a recovery started in 2012 as well so the rise was a continuation of that.

However, what the graph also shows is a spike in 2018, which would fit in with the tax cuts boosting. Now, you can argue that was caused by an increased deficit but what it does shows, is that for 2018, following the tax cuts, household income growth really accelerated.

That is not taking away from the recovery under Obama, it is highlight the acceleration pre-CV.
  • NEW THREAD

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Carnyx said:

There was a conversation a bit earlier about another Scotland vote.

Unlike many on here I don’t take the view that on such critical matters (see also Brexit) one can just decide things with a simple, one-off majority vote. To take the point to absurdity, what if the 2014 referendum had been carried by just one vote?

Nor do I think that, having voted in 2014, it is appropriate to be having another vote any time soon. Although “once every generation” carries no legal weight, ever twenty years does not seem unreasonable for a question of this magnitude.

Extending the franchise to 16+ was worth about 0.5% in favour of Indy and I’ve no idea why this was granted.

I do also think it is worth looking at granting a vote to anyone born in Scotland who wishes to register as such. I do not know whether this would help or hinder independence, but I often wonder how I’d feel if my homeland (NZ) voted for some irrevocable break-up. I would certainly want a say in that, despite not living there for 20 years.

Quite entitled to hold the views you do: but just one small point: the Scottish franchise has generally been extennded to 16+ as a wider point of public principle - crossparty approval (including Smith Commission). It's Westminster is the holdout here.
    Yes, am aware of that.
    I am personally against votes at 16 on principle, and don’t understand why it seems to have gained traction in parts of this country. Outside of Scotland (and now Wales), is there any country on earth that has votes at 16?

And then, again, I can see in the Scottish context that it aids the independence movement.

I think it is constitutionally iffy to allow it for an independence vote.
    UK R

edited November 2020
    Finally, todays cases.

Firstly, could everyone who likes reporting day data, please run round screaming, while on fire (ignition sources available on request).

Secondly look at specimen day data -

vs yesterday

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

This is very interesting.
    The general bien pensant view is that Trump’s tax cuts went overwhelmingly to the very rich.
    Yet this is a median number.

Are there any theories?
    The bien pensant view was Trump haters saying what they wanted to be true?
    You won't go far wrong with the default assumption that anything good that happens in this world has absolutely nothing to do with Donald Trump.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2020
    The route for the Leeds extension makes little sense, so why bother?

We already have the East Coast Mainline anyway.

What is needed is major improvements between Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.
  • PB used to be a betting site.

Now it seems to be a platform for very odd people to indulge their weirdest and most outlandish political fantasies.

And willy wave about who has the newest tech....
    Nah, it was willy waving about who was in the highest tier with British Airways.
    Is BA going to grandfather status do you think, or is everyone who doesn't fly for 12 months going to find themselves bumped down? Asking for a friend...
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

HYUFD said:

This is very interesting.
    The general bien pensant view is that Trump’s tax cuts went overwhelmingly to the very rich.
    Yet this is a median number.

Are there any theories?
    Boom and bust
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631

I often wonder how I’d feel if my homeland (NZ) voted for some irrevocable break-up. I would certainly want a say in that, despite not living there for 20 years.

Why do you feel you should be entitled to a view, you left 20 years ago so your committment to the place is obviously little more than nostalgia. You were the one that wanted to leave and after 20 years I think people would quite rightly tell you where to go if you wanted a say. Chances are you will never go back to live after this time so whatever happens will have zero effect on you practically speaking.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

The route for the Leeds extension makes little sense, so why bother?

We already have the East Coast Mainline anyway.

What is needed is major improvements between Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.
    The East Coast Mainline goes nowhere near Sheffield
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Pagan2 said:

I often wonder how I’d feel if my homeland (NZ) voted for some irrevocable break-up. I would certainly want a say in that, despite not living there for 20 years.

Why do you feel you should be entitled to a view, you left 20 years ago so your committment to the place is obviously little more than nostalgia. You were the one that wanted to leave and after 20 years I think people would quite rightly tell you where to go if you wanted a say. Chances are you will never go back to live after this time so whatever happens will have zero effect on you practically speaking.
    I return to see family regularly. I may well return one day. NZ in fact still allows me a vote, which I exercised just last month.
This discussion has been closed.