Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My bet that Trump won’t concede – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Quite. Proof there was no interference right there; if there had been the Republicans would have lost too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very easy to forget that at some point in the early 30s Hitler looked like a busted flush. He had already laid enough groundwork by then however to come back when conditions turned.

I fear for America and the World in 4 years time unless some sanity can return to the GOP. Because the groundwork will already be there. (and emboldened by the 'belief' that the Democrats have won an election on the back of fraudulent activity, even if they can't find the evidence, i wouldn't be confident that there won't be high scale discussions about how Republicans can't start putting in place 'hidden' fraud themselves...)

My mother grew up in nearby Danziug/Gdansk at the time, and her father worked in Berlin. The parallels are importamt to keep in mind but are not that close. Germany was riddled with paramilitary forces before Hitler took over, and the Nazi regime was able to incorporate and build on them. The Proud Boys and similar groups are trivial by comparison. The will to have a coup does seem to exist among some extreme Trumpists, but the infratructure for it really isn't there, and the pull to normal process is very strong and will I think roll Biden into the White House without very much trouble.

In 4 years, with Trump campaigning non-stop, his own TV channel, etc., and possibly sustained post-pandemic economic difficulty, that may be different.So the threat shouldn't be simply shrugged off. But it's probably not imminent.
    I'd tend to agree with that assessment, but with the proviso that a coup is not impossible at all.
    One route is the provocation of localised violence, and the deployment of military force to 'control' things. As you say, the pull to normal process is very strong, in the military too, but it is not hard to imagine possible scenarios which tip things the other way.
  • Options
    Shows how toxic Trump is.
    I wonder whether there was any swing for the Reoublicans who succeeded.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD
    Alister Jack was 'joking' when he ruled out indyref2 for 40 years

The Secretary of State for Scotland said he only mentioned the four decade wait for a new vote because the BBC journalist interviewing him had “raised an eyebrow”.
    Obviously had Govid20 on the blower remonstrating at him upsetting the applecart. Rough wooing indeed.

Well, HYUFD thoroughly approves of Henry VIII's approach to things anyway.
    If the government really wanted to get tough with the nationalists it could do what Beijing is doing this morning where it is removing legislators from the Hong Kong legislature for questioning Beijing's authority, or it could have done what Madrid did in Catalonia in 2017 where it refused to allow any independence referendum, suspended the Catalan Parliament and arrested Catalan nationalist leaders.

Nationalists should thank themselves lucky they have already had one independence vote and the government is merely saying it will not grant another one until a generation has elapsed
    :D Your arrogance knows no bounds...
    It is the arrogance of nationalists who never accepted the 2014 result which was meant to be a once in a generation referendum I will never apologise for respecting
    All it needs is for a Conservative leader to sign and section 30 order, and you'll be on here like a greased pig, breathlessly extolling the genius and righteousness of the move.
    You're a joke.
    No I would be calling for that leader to be toppled, the Union for me comes above party
    Did you call for Cameron to be toppled when he allowed the first one?

No as that referendum would settle it for a generation
    But he put the Union at risk by having one? He didn't legally have to. It was a political judgement. There are sane voices arguing that the best way to prevent the inevitability of Scottish Independence is to acquiesce in another one post an SNP landslide next year. But you seem to be of the view that Referendum=Independence. So to even allow one would be almost treasonable for a Tory leader. In which case you are already of the opinion that a referendum can't be won, so settled is the will of the Scottish people.

It also raises the question of why he isn't calling [editr:] Metaqphorically for Mr Johnson's head on a plate over the new border, definitely rather harder than a jellyfish, between NI and rUK.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    IshmaelZ said:

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/donald-trump-longshot-election-lawsuits

Trumpers are convinced its been stolen and that their legal challenges will remove the "illegal votes". When you look at the nature of these challenges - and the margin of victory for Biden - its clear these will fail and fail massively. Once it becomes clear that the results stand - results which people are convinced are fraudulent somehow - thats when the shooting starts. To answer @Mysticrose and her "is this Civil War" question - possibly

As for students, a mass rapid test followed by tight windows of departure sounds great on paper and will be a poorly organised disaster in reality. Students will travel home and take the pox with them with the inevitable results. "Online teaching only from 9th December" - I assume that is for the remainder of term and not into 2021? Universities need student income for accommodation as do private landlords. The government isn't going to cover that so either they send students back in January with the inevitable return of Chernobyl strength Covid hotspots or they try to force students to keep paying full whack for part teaching and full whack for accommodation they aren't allowed to live in.

My course has been online only for about a month already and the tuition fee is unchanged and neither is it likely to change. 🤷‍♂️ It would be lovely if it did though.
    Why should online teaching be cheaper? In many ways it is more expensive to organise.
    Whether or not it is cheaper, Gallowgate chose a course offering in-person Teaching. Well organised online courses are good, but they suit some students better than others, and I think that if you can commit the time and get yourself to the right location, then in-person courses are better for most students than online ones.

I think anyone who pays good money for a service and then get offered a different service has a good reason to grumble.

The counter justification in Corona times, which the Berlin unis are giving, is that if the courses were not held online then the students would not be able to study at all. But our students pay a couple of hundred Euros, not almost 10 grand.
    Eldest Granddaughter is currently doing a postgraduate course around 10 years after her undergrad one . Fortunately she is able to live at home, in the sense that her boyfriend, with whom she lives, is able to afford the rent on the place they are living, and indeed they picked it for that very reason.
    However, she grumbles that she misses being able to easily interact with fellow students, and although a lot of the necessary references are on-line would like to be able to use the library. She also feels that on-line lectures and tutorials are not as useful as being in the same room as the 'instructor'.
    It's also very difficult to do the investigations with people that she needs to do.
    The universities, from my part time masters experience, while I worked, seem to have strongly resisted efforts towards making remote studying/research part of their capabilities.

The contrast is very strong when you deal with those portions of the sector that actively pursue this - Kellogg College, Oxford for example.
    Odd, I would have expected the concept to receive a frosty reception there.
    When they first started, the other colleges loved their jokes about it.

Then they saw the fees that Kellogg pulls in... and worked out a way to get hold of some of that lovely, tasty, money...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live is currently hosting a phone-in show about whether or not people should be "obliged" to take the Covid-19 vaccine. One person phoning the programme has called for people who refuse to take it to be "detained".

Nah, let natural selection get to work on the antivaxers.
    Really? Frustrating natural selection is pretty much your job description, if you think about it. Also, vaccines are pure homeopathy - take a tiny dose of the thing which does harm in the first place - and the government vaccine czar has thoughtfully warned us of the danger of freak harm from them. Broth all the way for me.
    Homeopathy isn`t a tiny dose of anything - it`s just water. Absolutely cannot be compared to a vaccine.
    Its advocates claim that homeopathy was over 25 times more effective at treating the Spanish Flu than allopathic remedies (found that and lots more delights here http://chironhealthcare.com/homoeopathy-explained/ ), I think we ought to look into it. Interestingly, if you quack and say “allopathy” at the same time it sounds a lot like “proper medicine”.
    There is an interesting theory that many Spanish Flu deaths were iatrogenic due to fatal overdose of Asprin. It is quite possible that some would have survived better with sugar water.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091002132346.htm
    “It’s better for you than a fatal overdose” is the best argument for homeopathy I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard plenty of others.
    There are other good ones. Why get your placebo effect from an SSRI when you can get it from water is one, and (in favour of the NHS offering it) an NHS homeopath is less likely than a full-on fruitloop practitioner to prescribe homeopathic remedies for, say, ovarian cancer.
    A friend of mine rejected normal medicine for her cancer and went for alternative treatment. Her funeral is next week. Another friend had a similar cancer about the same time and had surgery/chemo/radiotherapy and is now racing on sailing yachts at the weekend.

My cousin's father-in-law went for alternative medicine for his colon cancer. We buried him a couple of years ago. In his final days he said he had been "... a bl**dy fool..."
    My experiences with a family member, using a herbal medicined to support hospital treatment, which he was actually advised specifically not to, have been quite different. I'm very wary of blanket dismissals of alternative medicine since then.
    I am happy to let people do it if that is what they want, but out of 4 cancer cases I know personally, the two conventionally treated people are alive and well and the two alternative medicine people are dead. Interestingly the cancers were similar - two breast cancers and two bowel/colon cancers.

So, based on my personal experience, alternative options have a 100% failure rate. On that basis, I will stick to conventional medicine.
    From what I've seen, not as a doctor, but just as a family member observing others, herbal medicine and others seem to work better supporting other therapies in the earlier stages of various illnesses, and also as preventative and lifestyle choices. I agree that turning to alternative therapies with things like later stage cancer is particularly ill-advised - i've seen that myself in one grandparent, too.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live is currently hosting a phone-in show about whether or not people should be "obliged" to take the Covid-19 vaccine. One person phoning the programme has called for people who refuse to take it to be "detained".

Really? Frustrating natural selection is pretty much your job description, if you think about it. Also, vaccines are pure homeopathy - take a tiny dose of the thing which does harm in the first place - and the government vaccine czar has thoughtfully warned us of the danger of freak harm from them. Broth all the way for me.
    Homeopathy isn`t a tiny dose of anything - it`s just water. Absolutely cannot be compared to a vaccine.
    Its advocates claim that homeopathy was over 25 times more effective at treating the Spanish Flu than allopathic remedies (found that and lots more delights here http://chironhealthcare.com/homoeopathy-explained/ ), I think we ought to look into it. Interestingly, if you quack and say “allopathy” at the same time it sounds a lot like “proper medicine”.
    There is an interesting theory that many Spanish Flu deaths were iatrogenic due to fatal overdose of Asprin. It is quite possible that some would have survived better with sugar water.

“It’s better for you than a fatal overdose” is the best argument for homeopathy I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard plenty of others.
    There are other good ones. Why get your placebo effect from an SSRI when you can get it from water is one, and (in favour of the NHS offering it) an NHS homeopath is less likely than a full-on fruitloop practitioner to prescribe homeopathic remedies for, say, ovarian cancer.
    A friend of mine rejected normal medicine for her cancer and went for alternative treatment. Her funeral is next week. Another friend had a similar cancer about the same time and had surgery/chemo/radiotherapy and is now racing on sailing yachts at the weekend.

My cousin's father-in-law went for alternative medicine for his colon cancer. We buried him a couple of years ago. In his final days he said he had been "... a bl**dy fool..."
    Yes, I went for the big pharma, cut and poison, non holistic approach to colon cancer. Even better I got so bored of reading that big pharma was exploiting me, I thought I'd buy some of the action in the form of GSK shares, which apprciated mightily over the course of the treatment.
    It’s still bloody brutal, having a bad week but you have to believe
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    When do we get the next batch of Alaska results? Obviously we will see more evidence of the fraud there (mail in ballots) even if it isn't quite enough to get Biden over the line.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    That's an interesting bet, Mike.

Tweet on 20th Jan -

"Pathetic crowd at LOSER Joe's inauguration. Farce! Illegitimate President elected by MASSIVE FRAUD. 71m LEGAL votes for President WINNER Donald J Trump. WAY MORE than for "President" LOSER Joe Biden. We won't forget the BIG DEM STEAL. And we will make them pay! #MAGA2024"

Would that be a winner or a loser?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Mike Pence must be a tortured soul, wrestling with his conscience and oath of office.

His tweets have been non-controversial. He is supporting the Republican Senators in the re-run but that is to be expected.

He may be the one to prick the bubble by recognising Biden as President-Elect and sacrificing any hope for a run at the Presidency in 2024. Is he an honourable man? What does he really think about Trump and his coup plans?

He cant meet another woman without his wife being there in case God objects. The man doesn't think.

McConnell is the more interesting one, likely to be the most powerful republican, and second most powerful US politician if Trump loses, just another Trump lackey if he wins.
    Yes Pence appears to be a weak man and probably doesn't have the balls to confront Trump.
    I notice he has just cancelled his holiday to Florida to stay in Washington. Is this to keep an eye on Trump or because Trump has ordered him to?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/mike-pence-trump-holiday-florida-legal-battle-election-b1720851.html

The fight back against Trump will be lead by senior Republicans who are willing to sacrifice their career (in four years time) for the future of their country.

They'll be thinking about it and talking about it now and should show their hand shortly.
    People like Trump do not pick strong-willed, self-confident people as their VP. They look for weak toadys who will echo their own opinions back to them.

I have no expectations for Pence putting the boot in...
    But the US needs a Brutus. Who else is there?
    I'm sure Biden is waiting for a senior Republican to put the knife in.
    I cannot see it being Pence. Maybe one of them will do it as a plea-bargain when they get caught? :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,614
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

The Secretary of State for Scotland said he only mentioned the four decade wait for a new vote because the BBC journalist interviewing him had “raised an eyebrow”.
    Obviously had Govid20 on the blower remonstrating at him upsetting the applecart. Rough wooing indeed.

If the government really wanted to get tough with the nationalists it could do what Beijing is doing this morning where it is removing legislators from the Hong Kong legislature for questioning Beijing's authority, or it could have done what Madrid did in Catalonia in 2017 where it refused to allow any independence referendum, suspended the Catalan Parliament and arrested Catalan nationalist leaders.

Nationalists should thank themselves lucky they have already had one independence vote and the government is merely saying it will not grant another one until a generation has elapsed
    It is the arrogance of nationalists who never accepted the 2014 result which was meant to be a once in a generation referendum I will never apologise for respecting
    All it needs is for a Conservative leader to sign and section 30 order, and you'll be on here like a greased pig, breathlessly extolling the genius and righteousness of the move.
    You're a joke.
    No I would be calling for that leader to be toppled, the Union for me comes above party
    A Union maintained by force is not a Union. It is an Empire.
    So the United States became an Empire in 1865?
    Yes (though perhaps 1860 to be accurate*) The right to self determination is a fundamental one.

*Arguably 1848 with the war against Mexico, or earlier with frontier wars on native peoples.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Ronna McDaniel, Chair of the Republican National Committee (RNC), told FOX News commentator Sean Hannity that she has 234 pages containing 500 sworn affidavits alleging 11,000 incidents of various types of voter fraud.

Oh well, it's all over. Better cooly and objectively award this one to Trump.
    It is quite "amusing" (for want of a better and far more appropriate word) how many instinctive Trumpists on here seem to think that we should be impressed by claims of "evidence" of widespread fraud etc from hardcore Trump and GOP loyalists (in this case making the claims on Hannity's show no less - I'm sure he would have gone out of his way and an impartial journalist to challenge the validity of her evidence!)
    We've got to the point where 500 peoples' eye witness accounts don't actually count for anything if they benefit Trump.
    "Eye witness" accounts of what? Isn't it about time the Republicans started including these in some of these laughable court cases they are instigating. Ones that judges are throwing out at the moment when they are discovering that the "eye witness accounts" are as credible as hearsay of hearsay of evidence of something that might be dodgy?

Ones where judges are asking the Trump lawyers if they are saying that the cases before them indicate accusations of fraud and are being told, er, "no they they don't have evidence of that".
    Which ones have the Supreme Court thrown out?
    These vexatious "cases" are being thrown out long before they even get near the Supreme Court. They are without merit and so are your posts on this subject.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Arizona is the heart of the NeverTrump republican movement.
    Also, astounding citation of sources there.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Biden's inauguration crowd will be bigger than Trumps. It'll wind him up something chronic.
  • Options

Quite. Proof there was no interference right there; if there had been the Republicans would have lost too.
    Well that's one way of looking at it.

One district having a load of Biden votes with no down vote that doesn't happen elsewhere is suspicious.

If fraudsters had to fill out Biden votes quickly then they wouldn't have time to put the down vote in as well.
  • Options

Ronna McDaniel, Chair of the Republican National Committee (RNC), told FOX News commentator Sean Hannity that she has 234 pages containing 500 sworn affidavits alleging 11,000 incidents of various types of voter fraud.

Like this guy ?
    https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1326301274120318978
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're a joke.
    Yes (though perhaps 1860 to be accurate) The right to self determination is a fundamental one.
    Also doesn't the EU want an army?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very easy to forget that at some point in the early 30s Hitler looked like a busted flush. He had already laid enough groundwork by then however to come back when conditions turned.

I fear for America and the World in 4 years time unless some sanity can return to the GOP. Because the groundwork will already be there. (and emboldened by the 'belief' that the Democrats have won an election on the back of fraudulent activity, even if they can't find the evidence, i wouldn't be confident that there won't be high scale discussions about how Republicans can't start putting in place 'hidden' fraud themselves...)

My mother grew up in nearby Danziug/Gdansk at the time, and her father worked in Berlin. The parallels are importamt to keep in mind but are not that close. Germany was riddled with paramilitary forces before Hitler took over, and the Nazi regime was able to incorporate and build on them. The Proud Boys and similar groups are trivial by comparison. The will to have a coup does seem to exist among some extreme Trumpists, but the infratructure for it really isn't there, and the pull to normal process is very strong and will I think roll Biden into the White House without very much trouble.

In 4 years, with Trump campaigning non-stop, his own TV channel, etc., and possibly sustained post-pandemic economic difficulty, that may be different.So the threat shouldn't be simply shrugged off. But it's probably not imminent.
    I'd tend to agree with that assessment, but with the proviso that a coup is not impossible at all.
    One route is the provocation of localised violence, and the deployment of military force to 'control' things. As you say, the pull to normal process is very strong, in the military too, but it is not hard to imagine possible scenarios which tip things the other way.
    Despite Trump having lost the election the left on PB now appear to be suffering from PTSD
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Mike Pence must be a tortured soul, wrestling with his conscience and oath of office.

His tweets have been non-controversial. He is supporting the Republican Senators in the re-run but that is to be expected.

He may be the one to prick the bubble by recognising Biden as President-Elect and sacrificing any hope for a run at the Presidency in 2024. Is he an honourable man? What does he really think about Trump and his coup plans?

He cant meet another woman without his wife being there in case God objects. The man doesn't think.

McConnell is the more interesting one, likely to be the most powerful republican, and second most powerful US politician if Trump loses, just another Trump lackey if he wins.
    Yes Pence appears to be a weak man and probably doesn't have the balls to confront Trump.
    I notice he has just cancelled his holiday to Florida to stay in Washington. Is this to keep an eye on Trump or because Trump has ordered him to?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/mike-pence-trump-holiday-florida-legal-battle-election-b1720851.html

The fight back against Trump will be lead by senior Republicans who are willing to sacrifice their career (in four years time) for the future of their country.

They'll be thinking about it and talking about it now and should show their hand shortly.
    People like Trump do not pick strong-willed, self-confident people as their VP. They look for weak toadys who will echo their own opinions back to them.

I have no expectations for Pence putting the boot in...
    But the US needs a Brutus. Who else is there?
    I'm sure Biden is waiting for a senior Republican to put the knife in.
    I cannot see it being Pence. Maybe one of them will do it as a plea-bargain when they get caught? :D
    I think if it's going to come it needs more than one person. It needs a co-ordinated statement by a massive selection of the Republican caucus in Congress. Whether they can muster the collective will to stand up for democracy, not so sure.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Is holes in straws the new angels on pinheads?

No.

Topology is a well developed field of mathematics. It got that way by being too hard for run-of-the-mill theologians to get involved...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Nigelb said:

Like this guy ?
    $130,000 sounds like inducement to bribery to me
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Biden's inauguration crowd will be bigger than Trumps. It'll wind him up something chronic.

Unfortunately it probably won't be. I think that it will be a deliberately very low key event. Because, pandemic.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

*Bullshit*

Plus 11k votes wouldn't even be enough to overturn the result. But it's a lie.
    There was no fraud
    There was only isolated fraud
    There wasn't widespread fraud
    There wasn't enough fraud to affect the outcome in any states <--- you are currently here
    There wasn't enough fraud to affect the presidency
    There may have been fraud, but it can't be legally proven in time
    Trump was also committing fraud
    Biden didn't know about the fraud
    There's so much fraud we can't tell who won so we need a new election (but to keep postal votes and no voter ID)</p>
    I can't believe you wasted your time writing this.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

There's usually a wide range of differing opinions on this site, so I just want to do a quick reality check - is there anyone who doesn't think this kind of comment from HYUFD is completely out of order?
    It is the most revolting comment I have read on this site for some time. As a Scot it made me boil with rage, and my first reaction was to post something extremely intemperate. But once the red mist subsided I decided it was much more productive to store the rage for use later. It is also a useful reminder that the modern Tory party is not only an enemy of Scotland, but an enemy to democracy.
    Scottish nationalists are determined to destroy my sovereign country, if you and them dislike their every whim not being conceded to tough and all to the good
    Why do you want to be in a union with a country you neither like nor understand?
    I have called out HYUFD multiple times for his obnoxious, even revolting views on this subject, and it is time these views were reported to CCHQ in view of his position in the party, as they are so divisive and do not represent the view of the vast majority of decent moderate conservatives

My wife and I have lived with the prospect of Scottish Independence for near the 80 years we have been on this planet and we have always been steadfastly pro the union but I expect, indeed support a second reference if the SNP receive a mandate next May, but do also support the concept of the referendum and a confirmatory referendum once the terms are agreed

I will also watch with great interest how Joe Biden reacts to the idea that Scotland may leave the Union
    Wrong, they are official party policy, ie 2014 was a once in a generation referendum, it is you by agreeing to give the SNP an independence referendum next year who are disagreeing with official policy as affirmed only a few days ago by the Secretary of State for Scotland that 2014 was a 'once in a generation' vote, though of course if Unionists can get a Holyrood majority next year that would be best of all
    What is wrong is your obnoxious attitude to this and by implication driving the very thing you say you do not want

You are a real threat to the union and indeed to sensible moderate conservatives who are ashamed by you
    Big G you aren't a Conservative. You want the current leader of the Conservative Party to stand down. At a later date.
    Anytime will be fine by me
  • Options

*Bullshit*

There was no fraud
    There wasn't enough fraud to affect the outcome in any states <--- you are currently here
    There's so much fraud we can't tell who won so we need a new election (but to keep postal votes and no voter ID)</p>
    Sure.
    And you missed out Republicans offering thousands of dollars for anyone's "fraud" stories. Which is just about the only thing on the list actually documented.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hadn't realised coronavirus was defeated the moment the results came in. ;)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Despite Trump having lost the election the left on PB now appear to be suffering from PTSD
    ... which causes them to want election results to stand.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Pulpstar said:

All wearing masks?
  • Options

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

There's usually a wide range of differing opinions on this site, so I just want to do a quick reality check - is there anyone who doesn't think this kind of comment from HYUFD is completely out of order?
    It is the most revolting comment I have read on this site for some time. As a Scot it made me boil with rage, and my first reaction was to post something extremely intemperate. But once the red mist subsided I decided it was much more productive to store the rage for use later. It is also a useful reminder that the modern Tory party is not only an enemy of Scotland, but an enemy to democracy.
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

Scottish nationalists are determined to destroy my sovereign country, if you and them dislike their every whim not being conceded to tough and all to the good
    You're in the wrong party, sport..

'According to YouGov polling 20% of voters for the Conservative and Unionist Party would be pleased to see Scotland independent and 29% would not be bothered if it happened. A total of 49% are unfazed by the prospect of Scottish independence. Only a minority of Tory voters (48%) would be upset. That means Tories are more sympathetic to Scottish independence than the average voter. When asked how they would feel about Scotland leaving, only 15% of English people and 16% of Welsh people saying they would be pleased to see the back of Scotland.

Ironically, given the party leadership’s staunch pro-union stance, it is Tory voters who are the most likely to say they would be pleased for Scotland to break away (apart from SNP voters of course). 59% of Labour voters support the union…'

https://tinyurl.com/yyt42bct
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're a joke.
    Yes (though perhaps 1860 to be accurate) The right to self determination is a fundamental one.
    Ah, and so the assassination of Abraham Lincoln was the justified killing of an imperialist tyrant, and John Wilkes Booth was Brutus, Harmodius, and Aristogeiton all rolled into one?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

PTSD jokes on Armistice Day. Fine work there.
  • Options
    Interesting. I wonder if that's the pro-Corbyn effect, the anti-lockdown effect, or some mixture of the two.
  • Options

One district having a load of Biden votes with no down vote that doesn't happen elsewhere is suspicious.

If fraudsters had to fill out Biden votes quickly then they wouldn't have time to put the down vote in as well.
    What other conspiracy theories do you believe?
    Moon landing, Grassy Knoll, Vaccines, Flat Earth?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're a joke.
    Yes (though perhaps 1860 to be accurate*) The right to self determination is a fundamental one.

*Arguably 1848 with the war against Mexico, or earlier with frontier wars on native peoples.
    The folk who got bought and sold with the Louisiana Purchase, even earlier.

But I've never quite understood why the slave states weren't simply allowed to bugger off. Maybe the rebellion looked too pathetic to begin with and things had gone too far by the time the Union Army failed to gain control?
  • Options

You do know that every ballot has a bar code and can, if necessary, be traced back to an individual voter, right? And there are publicly accessible records of people who voted. If organised pro Dem voter fraud were as widespread as suggested it should be pretty easy to take a random sample of a few thousand voters and go and find them, shouldn't it. You could start with that Arizona district. Piece of cake, should be. On those numbers you shouldn't be able to move without bumping into somebody who voted Biden only.

By the way were the overall votes cast for Biden much higher than the overall votes cast? Or were they similar - which would instantly indicate split ticketing?
  • Options
    Video for data nerds about election fraud

Why do Biden's votes not follow Benford's Law?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etx0k1nLn78
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250

Alistair said:

Look, lets all calm down by arguing about how many holes a straw has

https://twitter.com/lexaloffle/status/1326453266343849985

How does anyone get to two? Idiots. I would say zero but one is understandable if wrong.
    There's a hole in my bucket.

Or is it 2?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're in the wrong party, sport..

'According to YouGov polling 20% of voters for the Conservative and Unionist Party would be pleased to see Scotland independent and 29% would not be bothered if it happened. A total of 49% are unfazed by the prospect of Scottish independence. Only a minority of Tory voters (48%) would be upset. That means Tories are more sympathetic to Scottish independence than the average voter. When asked how they would feel about Scotland leaving, only 15% of English people and 16% of Welsh people saying they would be pleased to see the back of Scotland.

Ironically, given the party leadership’s staunch pro-union stance, it is Tory voters who are the most likely to say they would be pleased for Scotland to break away (apart from SNP voters of course). 59% of Labour voters support the union…'

https://tinyurl.com/yyt42bct
    Ah, but that is a well-known cybernat website. Order-order.com.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

How does anyone get to two? Idiots. I would say zero but one is understandable if wrong.
    How do you get to 2 holes for a straw but only 1 for a washer.
    A hole at one enjd and a hole at the other. Think the human body (ignoring inconvenient internal details of the nasopharyngeal cavity and larynx).
    Or to put it more simply, the piehole and the ersehole (though given some of the crap spouted on here..).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    There`s £150k available on BY at 1.1 if anyone fancies picking up £15k!
  • Options
    Smallish base, but:

Almost 80 per of Americans consider Joe Biden to be the winner of the US presidential election, a new poll has shown.

This comes as Donald Trump continues to make groundless allegations about voter fraud in the 3 November election, while refusing to concede defeat to his Democratic opponent.

The findings of the latest Reuters/Ipsos poll, carried out between Saturday afternoon and Tuesday, reveal that the incumbent president’s approach is out of touch with most Americans, who view the results as clear-cut.

After Mr Biden was declared president-elect on Saturday, 79 per cent of the 469 people surveyed said that Mr Biden had won the race for the White House. This included roughly six in 10 Republicans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/biden-election-win-2020-trump-poll-b1720955.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nichomar said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, I went for the big pharma, cut and poison, non holistic approach to colon cancer. Even better I got so bored of reading that big pharma was exploiting me, I thought I'd buy some of the action in the form of GSK shares, which apprciated mightily over the course of the treatment.
    It’s still bloody brutal, having a bad week but you have to believe
    It is, but hang in there. It works.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're a joke.

"gewneration" was not in the legislation!
    It's an odd shibboleth of electoral certainty that its users cannot even define.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

Even I was rather bemused to learn that HYUFD personally interviews aspirant members of his local party to check them for ideological purity.
    Not me, the Association chairman, I am a branch chairman
    Pretty small membership then, I suppose.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're a joke.

The folk who got bought and sold with the Louisiana Purchase, even earlier.

But I've never quite understood why the slave states weren't simply allowed to bugger off. Maybe the rebellion looked too pathetic to begin with and things had gone too far by the time the Union Army failed to gain control?
    Because rest of the country believed in The Union.

And the anti-slavery advocates (such as Lincoln) believed that if they left, the Confederates would hang on to slavery forever. Whereas they believed that slavery was on the road to extinction with the Southern states in the Union. Which, interestingly, is what the Southern Fire Eaters believed - that if they didn't leave, slavery would fade away.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kamski said:

Alistair said:

There's a hole in my bucket.

Or is it 2?
    Three. No, two, but it's not comparable. Or three assuming you mean it has a leak.

The bucket has a handle; and each end of the handle fits into a hole in a lug on the bucket. But then the bucket has two parts anyway. If you cut twice to remove the handle you end up with two parts, a handle and a bucket with a single hole all the way throuigh in the bottom. Plainly not the same as a polo mint topologically. [edited]
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Oh well, it's all over. Better cooly and objectively award this one to Trump.
    It is quite "amusing" (for want of a better and far more appropriate word) how many instinctive Trumpists on here seem to think that we should be impressed by claims of "evidence" of widespread fraud etc from hardcore Trump and GOP loyalists (in this case making the claims on Hannity's show no less - I'm sure he would have gone out of his way and an impartial journalist to challenge the validity of her evidence!)
    Indeed. It's the 'wow look at how many claims there are, that proves there's something in it' school of trump defence, never mind if the claims are credible and hidden behind 'raises some questions' nonsense.

If evidence emerges, great, until then lots of allegations is not itself evidence.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

All wearing masks?
    In fairness, the street Biden victory celebrations did seem pretty masked up. I expect they'll social distance them - which of course will make the crowd look even bigger!
  • Options
    Somehow i don't think that is a particularly good idea for encouraging racial harmony. Isn't most of the evidence for poor BAME outcomes based around the fact that they tend to be concentrated in public facing job roles and therefore are more exposed to the virus? And in other cases that there are higher levels of things like diabetes and other negative COVID indicators?

Surely then the route would be to prioritise the vaccine for such workers and those in poor health. Not simply on the basis of race, when there is not much primary evidence that simply BEING from BAME background creates negative outcomes. Prioritising health BAME individuals at the expense of key white population groups would be counterproductive.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

For me there are two ways the government could go: 1) stick to its guns that there will be no further referendum until a generation has elapsed, or 2) commence work NOW with the Scottish government to agree a deal for Scotland in event that it splits away - and then put this deal to referendum.
  • Options

Interesting. I wonder if that's the pro-Corbyn effect, the anti-lockdown effect, or some mixture of the two.

My money would be on "noise".
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

You're a joke.

"gewneration" was not in the legislation!
    It's an odd shibboleth of electoral certainty that its users cannot even define.
    Indeed. HYUFD has not responded to that point. Apart from quoting Mr Jack. (And any older statements arte (a) obiter dicta and (b) erased by the elections since then: no parliament can bind etc.)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

Why do you want to be in a union with a country you neither like nor understand?
    I have called out HYUFD multiple times for his obnoxious, even revolting views on this subject, and it is time these views were reported to CCHQ in view of his position in the party, as they are so divisive and do not represent the view of the vast majority of decent moderate conservatives

My wife and I have lived with the prospect of Scottish Independence for near the 80 years we have been on this planet and we have always been steadfastly pro the union but I expect, indeed support a second reference if the SNP receive a mandate next May, but do also support the concept of the referendum and a confirmatory referendum once the terms are agreed

I will also watch with great interest how Joe Biden reacts to the idea that Scotland may leave the Union
    Wrong, they are official party policy, ie 2014 was a once in a generation referendum, it is you by agreeing to give the SNP an independence referendum next year who are disagreeing with official policy as affirmed only a few days ago by the Secretary of State for Scotland that 2014 was a 'once in a generation' vote, though of course if Unionists can get a Holyrood majority next year that would be best of all
    What is wrong is your obnoxious attitude to this and by implication driving the very thing you say you do not want

You are a real threat to the union and indeed to sensible moderate conservatives who are ashamed by you
    Big G you aren't a Conservative. You want the current leader of the Conservative Party to stand down. At a later date.
    Relieved that you have seen the error of your ways.
  • Options
    “It’s all noise,” said a former Trump aide who remains close to the campaign.

Legally, the Trump team has not made much, if any, progress. Since the Nov. 3 election, the president’s attorneys have not won significant legal challenges in the key swing states Biden won or leads in: Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia and Nevada. In some cases, Trump’s team didn’t present the evidence needed to invalidate ballots. Other times, his team didn’t even send in the right documents.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/10/trump-legal-strategy-election-435853
  • Options
    Anyone got any clue what this supposed AZ district is?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    OK folks what about not posting for 2mins from 11am?

Just a thought - no idea if I'm in favour or if it's wokeness gone mad.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

All wearing masks?
    Don't presidents actually swear in the day before the big public swearing in? They could delay the latter until a vaccination?
  • Options
    People like lockdowns it seems...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

Relieved that you have seen the error of your ways.
    You might have overinterpreted the facts. If there was an election tomorrow, with Johnson as Conservative leader, Big_G would probably vote Conservative. Am I right?
  • Options
    Perhaps in our discussions of why Trump isn't conceding we are missing the obvious reason - it allows him to keep fundraising in order to pay off his campaign debts.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/nov/10/donald-trump-election-fund-debt
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Like this guy ?
    $130,000 sounds like inducement to bribery to me
    Don't know how it works in the US - but if that was brought before a court "Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice" might be the case in England - which courts get really pissed off about.
  • Options

“It’s all noise,” said a former Trump aide who remains close to the campaign.

Legally, the Trump team has not made much, if any, progress. Since the Nov. 3 election, the president’s attorneys have not won significant legal challenges in the key swing states Biden won or leads in: Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia and Nevada. In some cases, Trump’s team didn’t present the evidence needed to invalidate ballots. Other times, his team didn’t even send in the right documents.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/10/trump-legal-strategy-election-435853

This right here is key. If they have good evidence and arguments in some areas, why confuse the matter with all the meritless cases which clearly had no prospect of success?
  • Options

*Bullshit*

There was no fraud
    I can't believe you wasted your time writing this.
    Why is it a waste of time? DA is merely outlining the narrative the Trumpsters are building. The objective is to muddy the waters enough to make the Trumpsters incitement of armed insurrection appear legitimate. However hysterical that may appear to sentient beings, so far they are succeeding.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

... which causes them to want election results to stand.
    cant see why you would be nervous on that.

Biden has one the popular and has won the EC.

The rest is just you winding yourself up
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

For me there are two ways the government could go: 1) stick to its guns that there will be no further referendum until a generation has elapsed, or 2) commence work NOW with the Scottish government to agree a deal for Scotland in event that it splits away - and then put this deal to referendum.

Photo of new decor for UK HQ in Edinburgh, which BTW is a world heritage site:

https://twitter.com/Grouse_Beater/status/1293241631924260868
  • Options

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

I admire your insouciance.
    And remarkable online diagnostic abilities.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

MAGA twitter is convinced there is a coup going on AGAINST the president.
    Do the following thought experiment - Take what you know of the situation, reverse Biden for Trump. That's where Trump's base is at right now.

And that the genius of the Trump machine. If they do act, they will be claiming some form of equivalence.

Trump is bound to try something. The question is what and whether senior republicans will go along with it.
    He's got a few more things to worry about than a few republican stooges.

1. He's a known liar.

2. He said he wouldn't respect the result if it didn't go for him before a vote was cast.

3. If there were enough irregularities to switch the vote the conspiracy would have to be massive. The FBI would uncover it in no time

4. The popular vote was strongly against him.

5. The rest of World have accepted he lost. He'd be a pariah.

6. The two most powerful and wealthy states are democrat.

7. Even the vast majority of Trump voters don't believe him.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    alex_ said:

Somehow i don't think that is a particularly good idea for encouraging racial harmony. Isn't most of the evidence for poor BAME outcomes based around the fact that they tend to be concentrated in public facing job roles and therefore are more exposed to the virus? And in other cases that there are higher levels of things like diabetes and other negative COVID indicators?

Surely then the route would be to prioritise the vaccine for such workers and those in poor health. Not simply on the basis of race, when there is not much primary evidence that simply BEING from BAME background creates negative outcomes. Prioritising health BAME individuals at the expense of key white population groups would be counterproductive.
    Yes, it seems like a completely stupid idea, speaking as an Asian.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

https://twitter.com/Macdhomhnaill2/status/1293304764093075456/photo/3

UK Gmt HQ in Edinbuirgh, for the third photo: note visual contribution to the Enlightenment architecture of Edinburgh.
    Did they design and build it themselves? Or just found a suitable office space that they could occupy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

It’s not out of order, it’s short sighted, it displays arrogance and self belief beyond normal but it’s not offensive or factually incorrect.
    It is offensive and factually incorrect to suggest that SNP politicians could be arrested or have legislators arbitrarily removed.

HYUFD wants Sturgeon arrested for "sedition" except there is no law against sedition. Sedition is legal.

So factually incorrect. Can't be arrested for something that isn't against the law.
    Technically treason is against the law, with a maximum sentence of life in prison under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
    Seeking independence isn't Treason though! I literally gave you the list of offences that are defined as Treason.

Attempting to murder Her Majesty: Treason
    Engaging Politics: Not Treason

Killing the Lord High Chancellor: Treason
    Taking part in elections: Not Treason
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,662
    edited November 2020
    TOPPING said:

OK folks what about not posting for 2mins from 11am?

Just a thought - no idea if I'm in favour or if it's wokeness gone mad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone
    Service underway
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Why not relax more ? Take a break from your keyboard , all this internal agitation isnt doing you any good. Out there in the big wide world your opinions like mine are largely irrelevant.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

UK Gmt HQ in Edinbuirgh, for the third photo: note visual contribution to the Enlightenment architecture of Edinburgh.
    Did they design and build it themselves? Or just found a suitable office space that they could occupy.
    They built it themselves, right down to the massive sock-down-the-troosers Union flag plastered on the side of it.
  • Options
    Biden’s current lead over Trump:

Georgia - 10,621 votes
    Arizona - 17,131 votes
    Wisconsin - 20,539
    Nevada - 36,186 votes
    Pennsylvania - 45,063 votes
    Michigan - 147,896

Bush’s 2000 lead over Gore in Florida: 537 votes

... and Gore conceded.
  • Options
    Biden could shut this down by calling for a full audit of the votes in the disputed states.

If there is no fraud he will be totally vindicated and it will well and truly be the end of Trump.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    alex_ said:

Yes, I agree. If the physically vulnerable and key workers (health/social care, public transport etc.) were prioritised then the result would be the same - those with BAME background would, on average, be more likely than others to be vaccinated early. And it would avoid the unpalatable outcry that would ensue if the policy simply prioritised BAME people.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

Was trying to find photo alone but couldn't work oput howq to link to the third one alone.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Why not relax more ? Take a break from your keyboard , all this internal agitation isnt doing you any good. Out there in the big wide world your opinions like mine are largely irrelevant.
    It seems to be winding you up.
  • Options

Biden could shut this down by calling for a full audit of the votes in the disputed states.

If there is no fraud he will be totally vindicated and it will well and truly be the end of Trump.

Candidates shouldn't be in charge of the electoral process you idiot
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Any MP prepared to say "Yes, my constituents would just love to have one of these Rolls-Royce mini-nuclear reactors built here..."?

• Options
    alex_ said:

Some of the increased risk is from front line jobs, some from overcrowded multigenerational housing, some the higher rate of intercurrent disease, but some increased risk seems additional.

There is justification already, BAME staff at particular risk get better PPE at my Trust for example.

Overall though the strongest risk factor is age, and the mooted priorities for vaccination, starting with care home workers and residents, then working down the age groups, with health workers also in the second echelon seems quite reasonable to me.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

I doubt Biden would have a problem with the auditing of votes, although that is in the power of the individual states and has nothing to do with the candidates.
  • Options

Ah, the classic the innocent have nothing to fear gambit.

Trump has to prove fraud, Biden doesn't have to prove his innocence,. its not his job to certify the votes. Trump can challenge them (though providing more evidence when doing so would be nice - if he has it it should be heard) but that's on him.
  • Options

There is nothing to shut down.

There are no disputed states.

Biden won. He is getting on with his transition preparations.

You can keep howling at the moon.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

geoffw said:

Is holes in straws the new angels on pinheads?

No.

Topology is a well developed field of mathematics. It got that way by being too hard for run-of-the-mill theologians to get involved...
    Thanks for your opinion. I'll take Henri Poincaré's topical word on the matter: Point set topology is a disease from which the human race will soon recover.

• Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

The UK Government Hub is part of the award-winning New Waverley development delivered by Artisan Real Estate Investors. As well as the Hub, it includes three hotels, the Arches, shops and 150 homes, in a new quarter set round a public square. It is one of the UK’s most important city-centre regeneration sites, located in the World Heritage Site of Edinburgh’s Old Town. The area is also home to Edinburgh City Council, several international finance companies and the British Council.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flagship-uk-government-hub-in-edinburgh-named-queen-elizabeth-house

http://newwaverley.com
  • Options

I doubt Biden would have a problem with the auditing of votes, although that is in the power of the individual states and has nothing to do with the candidates.
    Yes that's true, but I think with his backing as well as Trump's there would be too much pressure to avoid doing it.

This seems the most sensible way out of this mess and would uphold the integrity of the election process.
  • Options

Any MP prepared to say "Yes, my constituents would just love to have one of these Rolls-Royce mini-nuclear reactors built here..."?

Derby MPs, where several thousand jobs have gone already.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Dems hold House. Now 218-201 with 16 remaining. All 5 uncalled NY seats look like strong lean R, as do AK1, CA21 and CA 39. Lots of too close to call seats but it looks like R has done very well downballot, which is evidence of [orange man bad / fraud / spacebats] delete as necessary.

Was there a market on the house totals?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Biden’s current lead over Trump:

Georgia - 10,621 votes
    Arizona - 17,131 votes
    Wisconsin - 20,539
    Nevada - 36,186 votes
    Pennsylvania - 45,063 votes
    Michigan - 147,896

Bush’s 2000 lead over Gore in Florida: 537 votes

... and Gore conceded.

GA
    B - 2471882
    T - 2457733

Lead 14,149
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

It’s not out of order, it’s short sighted, it displays arrogance and self belief beyond normal but it’s not offensive or factually incorrect.
    It is offensive and factually incorrect to suggest that SNP politicians could be arrested or have legislators arbitrarily removed.

HYUFD wants Sturgeon arrested for "sedition" except there is no law against sedition. Sedition is legal.

So factually incorrect. Can't be arrested for something that isn't against the law.
    Technically treason is against the law, with a maximum sentence of life in prison under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
    Seeking independence isn't Treason though! I literally gave you the list of offences that are defined as Treason.

Attempting to murder Her Majesty: Treason
    Engaging Politics: Not Treason

Killing the Lord High Chancellor: Treason
    Taking part in elections: Not Treason
    Wikipedia says the last UK trial for treason was Lord Haw Haw in 1946.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems to be winding you up.
    Really it's not, I find the current nonsense quite amusing, the Joe Bojo call stuff yesterday actually had me laughing out loud. Presumably we might return to some kind of sanity by January but in the meantime it's life on Craggy Island and all bets are off.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Dems hold House. Now 218-201 with 16 remaining. All 5 uncalled NY seats look like strong lean R, as do AK1, CA21 and CA 39. Lots of too close to call seats but it looks like R has done very well downballot, which is evidence of [orange man bad / fraud / spacebats] delete as necessary.

Was there a market on the house totals?

The cook report has 222 Dem seats called and 206 GOP seats called. They are way better at thtracking the vote totals for these races than any other site.
    https://cookpolitical.com/2020-house-vote-tracker
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Nope. Hodges is right on this.

The alarmism is quite ridiculous – the alarmists are giving this moron oxygen.

It ain't going to happen.
  • Options

The plan is to put them on existing nuclear power station sites.

A Green friend is already upset that, apparently, the legal noises are that they won't be a full design review for every single installation.

i.e. there will be a review of the design, but if repeated exactly, no years of re-reviewing exactly the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.