Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My bet that Trump won’t concede – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Scott_xP said:
    Very easy to forget that at some point in the early 30s Hitler looked like a busted flush. He had already laid enough groundwork by then however to come back when conditions turned.

I fear for America and the World in 4 years time unless some sanity can return to the GOP. Because the groundwork will already be there. (and emboldened by the 'belief' that the Democrats have won an election on the back of fraudulent activity, even if they can't find the evidence, i wouldn't be confident that there won't be high scale discussions about how Republicans can't start putting in place 'hidden' fraud themselves...)

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pro Tip - "Just Asking Questions" was rumbled as a shit rhetorical strategy about a decade ago after Glenn Beck ran the play into the ground and had to quit Fox
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I'm still not unconvinced the vote has been juiced a touch in Trump's favour with actual Democrat votes overwhelming Trump. We KNOW Trump/Dejoy tried to rig the postal services against the Democrats at this point.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Now why is that debatable?

I thought it was well understood among IT professionals that any computer voting system was “wide open to fraud and intervention”?
    It's debatable because his second sentence is a clear implication there was fraud, not just that the system is open to it.

You really need to work harder than that when doing the 'just asking questions' kind of defence when you can pretend it isn't a defence of him.
    Democrats have complained about this forever. Clinton's Detroit undervote was particularly suspicious in 2016.
    https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/national-party-news/311099-skeptical-70000-black-voters-abstained-from
    It's not the Democrats doing any rigging.
    Indeed, one side-effect of Trump's claims of fraud is that the Democrats are defending the integrity of the US electoral system, when it looks like it is in serious need of an overhaul to protect it from Republican shenanigans.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/donald-trump-longshot-election-lawsuits

Trumpers are convinced its been stolen and that their legal challenges will remove the "illegal votes". When you look at the nature of these challenges - and the margin of victory for Biden - its clear these will fail and fail massively. Once it becomes clear that the results stand - results which people are convinced are fraudulent somehow - thats when the shooting starts. To answer @Mysticrose and her "is this Civil War" question - possibly

As for students, a mass rapid test followed by tight windows of departure sounds great on paper and will be a poorly organised disaster in reality. Students will travel home and take the pox with them with the inevitable results. "Online teaching only from 9th December" - I assume that is for the remainder of term and not into 2021? Universities need student income for accommodation as do private landlords. The government isn't going to cover that so either they send students back in January with the inevitable return of Chernobyl strength Covid hotspots or they try to force students to keep paying full whack for part teaching and full whack for accommodation they aren't allowed to live in.

My course has been online only for about a month already and the tuition fee is unchanged and neither is it likely to change. 🤷‍♂️ It would be lovely if it did though.
    Why should online teaching be cheaper? In many ways it is more expensive to organise.
    Because it's wank.
    Poor quality of higher education in the UK is certainly an issue. Not sure what the alternative is, as without the fees the Uni will go bust.

Productivity in terms of both quality and quantity has taken a massive hit in my workplace too.

Shortly I am to be doing Med School interviews online. Not totally convinced about that. It seems another step back for social equality. Will report back.
    Both my sons have been hoodwinked into thinking that their third year at University would be a combination of online and socially distanced face to face tuition. Neither (one in England, one in Wales) have seen any of the latter since early March.

They were sold a pup in order for the continued financing of the Universities. If they could turn back time to September both would have deferred for a year. Too late now.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/donald-trump-longshot-election-lawsuits

Trumpers are convinced its been stolen and that their legal challenges will remove the "illegal votes". When you look at the nature of these challenges - and the margin of victory for Biden - its clear these will fail and fail massively. Once it becomes clear that the results stand - results which people are convinced are fraudulent somehow - thats when the shooting starts. To answer @Mysticrose and her "is this Civil War" question - possibly

As for students, a mass rapid test followed by tight windows of departure sounds great on paper and will be a poorly organised disaster in reality. Students will travel home and take the pox with them with the inevitable results. "Online teaching only from 9th December" - I assume that is for the remainder of term and not into 2021? Universities need student income for accommodation as do private landlords. The government isn't going to cover that so either they send students back in January with the inevitable return of Chernobyl strength Covid hotspots or they try to force students to keep paying full whack for part teaching and full whack for accommodation they aren't allowed to live in.

My course has been online only for about a month already and the tuition fee is unchanged and neither is it likely to change. 🤷‍♂️ It would be lovely if it did though.
    Why should online teaching be cheaper? In many ways it is more expensive to organise.
    Because it's wank.
    Poor quality of higher education in the UK is certainly an issue. Not sure what the alternative is, as without the fees the Uni will go bust.

Productivity in terms of both quality and quantity has taken a massive hit in my workplace too.

Shortly I am to be doing Med School interviews online. Not totally convinced about that. It seems another step back for social equality. Will report back.
    Both my sons have been hoodwinked into thinking that their third year at University would be a combination of online and socially distanced face to face tuition. Neither (one in England, one in Wales) have seen any of the latter since early March.

They were sold a pup in order for the continued financing of the Universities. If they could turn back time to September both would have deferred for a year. Too late now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

There are huge numbers of people at university, particularly those on the non practical based courses, who, in the absence of significant tight knit teaching groups and contact with student groups, could get just as good an education by sitting at home teaching themselves. At a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    The Times Called Officials in Every State: No Evidence of Voter Fraud

The president and his allies have baselessly claimed that rampant voter fraud stole victory from him. Officials contacted by The Times said that there were no irregularities that affected the outcome.

NYTimes
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    eristdoof said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    Biden looked doddery even then...... I'm really not sure he's going to make the distance,
    Trump was elected in 2016 because he wasn't Clinton.
    Biden was elected in 2020 because he wasn't Trump.
    And the big difference between Clinton and Biden?

Politically they were both top members of Obamas administration. If Biden had run in 2016 his program would have been similar to Clinton's.

Clinton probably has a better record than Biden, though for sure both can be criticised.

Scandals : Clinton used the Clinton private server for government emails - which broke rules and reflects badly on her, but nowhere near as bad as the (admittedly fairly run of the mill) Hunter Biden influence peddling.

Clinton was a bit younger.

So I'm wondering what the big disadvantage Clinton had as a candidate. Can't think of any other blindingly obvious differences between them.

Except for the obvious....
    Nobody trusted her ?
    These are all good guesses (although why do people trust Biden more than Clinton? I don't think I do). But there is something even more obvious that everyone is missing.
    They aren't missing it nobody wants to say it. Biden is not a woman.
    Being female was the least of her problems.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Looks like a coup attempt to me is all I can say.

I'm assuming Biden is taking this far more seriously behind the scenes.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

There are huge numbers of people at university, particularly those on the non practical based courses, who, in the absence of significant tight knit teaching groups and contact with student groups, could get just as good an education by sitting at home teaching themselves. At a fraction of the cost.
    Yes, but a lot of qualifications are about certification of work done, rather than expertise. Uncertified expertise is not generally in much demand.

Fox jr2 had the choice of deferring or of going off to Uni, accepting the current restrictions. What were the alternatives? There is no work, and sitting on the sofa for a year playing x box and eating everything in the fridge ain't great either. Normality wasn't one of the options. He made the right choice to go.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

In reality the £40k+ you pay / borrow for your degree is for a certificate at the end of it with a university logo / brand on it.

The issue is that most companies won't even let you through the door without that certificate..
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Spot on, Mr Eds idea that he would still vote for Trump now, but not afterwards if he stole the election is baffling but all too common. The whole point of stealing the election is to take permanent power, not to be bound by mere votes in the future.
    I'm afraid that many people on here have been fooled by MrEd sometimes appearing to be quite reasonable. He is just a Trump propagandist: witness the pack of lies he wrote the other day about the Michigan 2016 recount. Claiming that Clinton was against a recount because she was afraid it would reveal Democrat voter fraud. Giving the completely false impression that there were districts in Detroit where the total vote was higher than the number of registered voters in those districts. I invite anyone to read the actual history of Michigan 2016 recount to see how dishonest he was being.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    HYUFD said:
    Profoundly wrong - we may be only months away from being able to get back to some kind of normality and they are playing silly buggers!
  • Options
    I'll be the first out the door to get the new vaccine as soon as it's ready (and I'll be encouraging others to do the same) but I hope it's never compulsory. And I wouldn't want to live in a country where it was.

People have agency over their own bodies.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very easy to forget that at some point in the early 30s Hitler looked like a busted flush. He had already laid enough groundwork by then however to come back when conditions turned.

I fear for America and the World in 4 years time unless some sanity can return to the GOP. Because the groundwork will already be there. (and emboldened by the 'belief' that the Democrats have won an election on the back of fraudulent activity, even if they can't find the evidence, i wouldn't be confident that there won't be high scale discussions about how Republicans can't start putting in place 'hidden' fraud themselves...)

Yes Trump winning in 2024 seems very plausible.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    One for HYFUD
    Alister Jack was 'joking' when he ruled out indyref2 for 40 years

The Secretary of State for Scotland said he only mentioned the four decade wait for a new vote because the BBC journalist interviewing him had “raised an eyebrow”.
    Obviously had Govid20 on the blower remonstrating at him upsetting the applecart. Rough wooing indeed.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    On 20th Jan, Trump ceases to be President, whether he likes it or not. He is not obliged to cooperate in the meantime.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Biden's 'campaign' and victory reminds me of Theresa May's win in 2017.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Smells bad. Like he’s getting his chess pieces ready.
    No other way of reading this in my opinion. He is attempting or will be attempting a coup. He's hoping the senior military will obey senior pentagon officials when he declares a state of national emergency and so on.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Foxy said:

On 20th Jan, Trump ceases to be President, whether he likes it or not. He is not obliged to cooperate in the meantime.

Only if the democratic norms are followed. And right now, they are not
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Because people start from the position that the US is a law abiding democracy, therefore it cant happen. That is the reason it is unlikely to happen, but it doesn't make it impossible, and each day that goes by with the Republican party supporting a coup it becomes more likely.

Memories of big democratic countries shifting into fascism are no longer lived, just words in a history book.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Definite Lay to me, but too long to tie up stake money.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Talking of concessions, Neil Kinnock never formally conceded the 1992 election to John Major. He gave a speech to party workers at 5am on election night but didn't mention John Major or the election result directly. He just said people deserved better than what they'd got.

I guess that was bad form but it's different in a parliamentary system. Kinnock won the election in which he was a candidate, Trump didn't.
    Mind you, if Kinnock had made a concession speech, and Biden had lost, would Biden have plagiarised it?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That is the situation we're in. Real uncertainty, but with huge stakes.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Scott_xP said:
    Spot on, Mr Eds idea that he would still vote for Trump now, but not afterwards if he stole the election is baffling but all too common. The whole point of stealing the election is to take permanent power, not to be bound by mere votes in the future.
    I'm afraid that many people on here have been fooled by MrEd sometimes appearing to be quite reasonable. He is just a Trump propagandist: witness the pack of lies he wrote the other day about the Michigan 2016 recount. Claiming that Clinton was against a recount because she was afraid it would reveal Democrat voter fraud. Giving the completely false impression that there were districts in Detroit where the total vote was higher than the number of registered voters in those districts. I invite anyone to read the actual history of Michigan 2016 recount to see how dishonest he was being.
    I dont disagree he is partisan and often wrong to the point of deliberately misleading, but he is the best on the site for explaining the Trump outlook. That information and outlook is vital for political betting on America.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

The Secretary of State for Scotland said he only mentioned the four decade wait for a new vote because the BBC journalist interviewing him had “raised an eyebrow”.
    Obviously had Govid20 on the blower remonstrating at him upsetting the applecart. Rough wooing indeed.

Well, HYUFD thoroughly approves of Henry VIII's approach to things anyway.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Except Biden won a majority and May lost one.
  • Options
    "the White House is preparing a budget for next year as if Mr. Trump will be around to present it."

NYTimes
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live is currently hosting a phone-in show about whether or not people should be "obliged" to take the Covid-19 vaccine. One person phoning the programme has called for people who refuse to take it to be "detained".

Nah, let natural selection get to work on the antivaxers.
    Doesn't quite work though, does it? Most people who refuse the vaccine will not get seriously ill but may well transmit it to more vulnerable people who might (depending on the effectiveness of the vaccine).

It's also the case that the death toll from this virus is still well short of 0.1% of the population. I have no doubt it will exceed 0.1% eventually, possibly even reach 0.2% depending the speed with which a vaccine can be distributed, but the black death or Ebola this isn't.
    We don't yet know if the vaccine prevents transmission.

Compulsion goes against the principle of consent. People are allowed to make bad decisions.
    And should they, themselves have to live with the consequences of their bad decisions, or do we all have to?
    We all have to do so. The freedom to make bad decisions is a fundamental freedom.

If we are only free to do what the government says, what sort of freedom is that?
    Well, a second amendmenter might say that, and I might reply: freedom from the fear of masss shootings. Very difficult to enforce compulsory vaccination, though. I don't think anyone has ver tried it *on adults* because of the liberty issues involved. You can't physically inject people against their will, you can't prosecute 35% of the nation without the courts seizing up, and if you try to do it indirectly by not letting people get on a bus or into a cinema without producing a vaccination certificate you will run slap bang into discrimination/human rights legislation.
    No airline travel without vaccination should do the trick.
    Good luck with your court cases there.
    How do you mean? There's already religions which decline all medical interventions (JW or 7th day adventists or something) and I can see their numbers growing. What is your answer to their claim they are being discriminated against on grounds of faith?
    That they are being discriminated against for being potentially infectious. The don't get to impose the consequences of their beliefs on others.
    I have little doubt that once the vaccine is broadly available, airline will require vaccination certificates - or you to pay to be tested before you board.
    Sure. But the "pay to be tested" loophole makes this rather toothless as a way of indirectly enforcing vaccination, especially given likely advances in speed/ease of testing.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Biden won a majority of votes AND electors.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Except Biden has a majority.

Though there is some similarity. In 2017 the voters hamstrung May and the only way to govern was in a bipartisan approach incorporating some of the opposition concerns. May was incapable of bipartisanship so refused, and after 2 years of deadlock she fell.

Biden faces a similar problem with Senate and SCOTUS, but has a much more bipartisan approach. That may well be just what the US needs and asked for. A Dem regime, but one where radical policies won't get far.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My GOP to win the house bet is going to end up closer than it should have. Much closer.

I'd definitely have voted Republican for the House.

Nancy Pelosi is a left-wing San Francisco Liberal and I find her acidic and charmless.

It'd be like voting for Glenda Jackson to lead our legislature over here.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020

"the White House is preparing a budget for next year as if Mr. Trump will be around to present it."

NYTimes

As concerning as that was Pompeo's ironic smile when he announced that "there would be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration". That ironic smile is very familiar from earlier Trump - and it doesn't necessarily indicate an opposite intention to what's presented, but overall and public shamelessness.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Definite Lay to me, but too long to tie up stake money.
    Not necessarily Trump. But Trump acolytes. Or anybody of a Trumpist persuasion prepared to follow through on what Trump has started/put in place.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    Biden looked doddery even then...... I'm really not sure he's going to make the distance,
    The joys of FPTP and its unrepresentative democracy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,993
    geoffw said:

No that was more Hillary in 2016, Biden's victory margin in both the popular vote and EC is actually closest to Jimmy Carter's over President Ford in 1976
  • Options

geoffw said:

Biden won a majority of votes AND electors.
    And made substantial gains rather than losses.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

Ona n earlier point - the law has been changed in Scotland some time ago so students aren't forcved to keep paying rent if they go home, I think for university halls - not so sure about private landlords.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2020
    Does anyone care what Boris Johnson does? No one believes he's running anything which most people consider a good thing so what a couple of Spads think when the US is reducing itself to 'failed nation' status is just fiddling while Rome burns
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

Yes, but a lot of qualifications are about certification of work done, rather than expertise. Uncertified expertise is not generally in much demand.

Fox jr2 had the choice of deferring or of going off to Uni, accepting the current restrictions. What were the alternatives? There is no work, and sitting on the sofa for a year playing x box and eating everything in the fridge ain't great either. Normality wasn't one of the options. He made the right choice to go.

If its all about certification its surely all just a monopolistic con?

Are the universities online offerings hastily put together this year really any better than the likes of free to learn edx which has been established for several years and run by the worlds best?

Time to open up university exams to anyone willing to pay a realistic examination fee, and separate the learning fee and exam fee.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

geoffw said:

True, but I mean that Biden like May was barely visible during the campaign and won by a much closer margin (not the popular vote obvs) than the polls showed, and the populist opponent (Trump cf. Corbyn) did much better than predicted.

• Options
    Mango said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    The joys of FPTP and its unrepresentative democracy.
    America's electoral system is nothing like our one member FPTP.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

My GOP to win the house bet is going to end up closer than it should have. Much closer.

I'd definitely have voted Republican for the House.

Nancy Pelosi is a left-wing San Francisco Liberal and I find her acidic and charmless.

It'd be like voting for Glenda Jackson to lead our legislature over here.
    I would only agree with you if Pelosi had produced an offspring like Dan Hodges.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

geoffw said:

In practice the two situations are fairly comparable - in office, with the executive powers of the Presidency/Premiership, but unable to pass substantial legislation through Congress/Parliament.
  • Options

NYTimes

Saving $bn per year from the elimination of elections.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

If the government really wanted to get tough with the nationalists it could do what Beijing is doing this morning where it is removing legislators from the Hong Kong legislature for questioning Beijing's authority, or it could have done what Madrid did in Catalonia in 2017 where it refused to allow any independence referendum, suspended the Catalan Parliament and arrested Catalan nationalist leaders.

Nationalists should thank themselves lucky they have already had one independence vote and the government is merely saying it will not grant another one until a generation has elapsed
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Just rewatching stuff -

Margaret : Can - can I just say something, you know, for the future?
    Leo McGarry : Yeah.
    Margaret : I can sign the President's name. I have his signature down pretty good.
    Leo McGarry : You can sign the President's name?
    Margaret : Yeah.
    Leo McGarry : On a document removing him from power and handing it to someone else?
    Margaret : Yeah. Or, do you think the White House Counsel would say that was a bad idea?
    Leo McGarry : I think the White House Counsel would say that's a coup d'etat.
    Margaret : I'd probably end up doing some time for that.
    Leo McGarry : I would think. And what the hell are you doing practicing the President's signature?
    Margaret : It's just for fun.
    Leo McGarry : We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret, vetoing things and sending them back to the hill.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

If the government really wanted to get tough with the nationalists it could do what Beijing is doing this morning and remove legislators from the Hong Kong legislature for questioning Beijing's authority, or it could have done what Madrid did in Catalonia and refuse to allow any independence referendum, suspend the Catalan Parliament and arrest Catalan nationalist leaders.

Nationalists should thank themselves lucky they have already had one independence vote and the government is merely saying it will not grant another one until a generation has elapsed
    You aren't keeping up with hte news - Mr Jack has recanted.
  • Options
    Tim Snyder knows his stuff.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Now why is that debatable?

I thought it was well understood among IT professionals that any computer voting system was “wide open to fraud and intervention”?
    It's debatable because his second sentence is a clear implication there was fraud, not just that the system is open to it.

You really need to work harder than that when doing the 'just asking questions' kind of defence when you can pretend it isn't a defence of him.
    Democrats have complained about this forever. Clinton's Detroit undervote was particularly suspicious in 2016.
    https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/national-party-news/311099-skeptical-70000-black-voters-abstained-from
    It's not the Democrats doing any rigging.
    Now. Remember Mayor Daley in Chicago.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well actually he sort of is. Or, at least, he is obliged not to do anything to frustrate the smooth transition of power such as giving Biden access to key Government Agencies and personnel. The US has a system creating a period of time between election and inauguration specifically to avoid a situation where a new President taking office without knowing what the state of government is as he does so, and has to spend the first few months finding out.

And what is going on is extremely dangerous for National security. From day one Biden has to have confidence that he is being given good advice from key Government agencies, either because he has personal appointments in those agencies, or at least career civil servants who can be trusted to give advice faithfully and impartially until appointments have been completed.

It looks increasingly as if Biden is going to be taking power in circumstances where the "default" civil service roles are filled by partisan Trump loyalists and with a Senate pledged to frustrate his ability to appoint his own people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

If the government really wanted to get tough with the nationalists it could do what Beijing is doing this morning where it is removing legislators from the Hong Kong legislature for questioning Beijing's authority, or it could have done what Madrid did in Catalonia in 2017 where it refused to allow any independence referendum, suspended the Catalan Parliament and arrested Catalan nationalist leaders.

Where America leads the UK follows......
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

Ona n earlier point - the law has been changed in Scotland some time ago so students aren't forcved to keep paying rent if they go home, I think for university halls - not so sure about private landlords.
    The private landlords, in many cases *are* the universities, often in partnership with commercial landlords.

The universities saw a way to leverage a captive user group. Free money they thought....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

:D Your arrogance knows no bounds...
  • Options

kamski said:

Scott_xP said:
    I dont disagree he is partisan and often wrong to the point of deliberately misleading, but he is the best on the site for explaining the Trump outlook. That information and outlook is vital for political betting on America.
    Oh yes, I find his posts interesting from that point of view. It just annoys me because I find him to be dishonest. He's a smart guy, he must know what he's up to.
  • Options
    Robert Kagan - writing in 2016

This is how fascism comes to America

"This is how fascism comes to America, not with jackboots and salutes (although there have been salutes, and a whiff of violence) but with a television huckster, a phoney billionaire, a textbook egomaniac “tapping into” popular resentments and insecurities, and with an entire national political party — out of ambition or blind party loyalty, or simply out of fear — falling into line behind him."

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Mike Pence must be a tortured soul, wrestling with his conscience and oath of office.

His tweets have been non-controversial. He is supporting the Republican Senators in the re-run but that is to be expected.

He may be the one to prick the bubble by recognising Biden as President-Elect and sacrificing any hope for a run at the Presidency in 2024. Is he an honourable man? What does he really think about Trump and his coup plans?
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

I know you must be devesatted to hear that Joe Biden will not win Alaska. HOWEVER, it looks like Ballot Measure 2 will pass. What is ballot measure 2? Introducing Ranked Choice Voting. Should win by about 10k votes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

No, just no.

The UK is not the wannabe fascist jackboot state of HYUFD's fevered imagination. Every Tory on this site as far as I know is disgusted by his desire to use violence to suppress the Scots.

There are many, many Tories on this site who would be sad to see Scotland go if it happens, but wouldn't want to deny democracy or use force to make them stay. That's just HYUFD.
    How do we know? He is a significant office-bearer in the party, so far as I know the only constituency convener on PB, and in a classic Home Counties tory coinstituency. He may be absolutely typical for all we know, and you the outlier, as indeed he keeps arguing.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Because it's wank.

The private landlords, in many cases *are* the universities, often in partnership with commercial landlords.

The universities saw a way to leverage a captive user group. Free money they thought....
    A captive user group backed by enormous Government loans (and loans what's more that many will never be able to repay regardless of size) meaning they didn't even need to have the cash to finance the accommodation - effectively allowing the universities to charge what they wanted
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Though there is some similarity. In 2017 the voters hamstrung May and the only way to govern was in a bipartisan approach incorporating some of the opposition concerns. May was incapable of bipartisanship so refused, and after 2 years of deadlock she fell.

Biden faces a similar problem with Senate and SCOTUS, but has a much more bipartisan approach. That may well be just what the US needs and asked for. A Dem regime, but one where radical policies won't get far.
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Sadly, I think there will be total obstruction of anything while McConnell controls the Senate.

For example, Biden will go to the Glasgow UN environment summit next year. He will very likely sign up to the latest round - which may well include China this time. And when he gets home, the Republicans, if they hold the Senate, will veto everything.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

My mother grew up in nearby Danziug/Gdansk at the time, and her father worked in Berlin. The parallels are importamt to keep in mind but are not that close. Germany was riddled with paramilitary forces before Hitler took over, and the Nazi regime was able to incorporate and build on them. The Proud Boys and similar groups are trivial by comparison. The will to have a coup does seem to exist among some extreme Trumpists, but the infratructure for it really isn't there, and the pull to normal process is very strong and will I think roll Biden into the White House without very much trouble.

In 4 years, with Trump campaigning non-stop, his own TV channel, etc., and possibly sustained post-pandemic economic difficulty, that may be different.So the threat shouldn't be simply shrugged off. But it's probably not imminent.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well actually he sort of is. Or, at least, he is obliged not to do anything to frustrate the smooth transition of power such as giving Biden access to key Government Agencies and personnel. The US has a system creating a period of time between election and inauguration specifically to avoid a situation where a new President taking office without knowing what the state of government is as he does so, and has to spend the first few months finding out.

And what is going on is extremely dangerous for National security. From day one Biden has to have confidence that he is being given good advice from key Government agencies, either because he has personal appointments in those agencies, or at least career civil servants who can be trusted to give advice faithfully and impartially until appointments have been completed.

It looks increasingly as if Biden is going to be taking power in circumstances where the "default" civil service roles are filled by partisan Trump loyalists and with a Senate pledged to frustrate his ability to appoint his own people.
    Are we going to see two governments in operation by end of January?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

There's usually a wide range of differing opinions on this site, so I just want to do a quick reality check - is there anyone who doesn't think this kind of comment from HYUFD is completely out of order?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Andy_JS said:

Talking of concessions, Neil Kinnock never formally conceded the 1992 election to John Major. He gave a speech to party workers at 5am on election night but didn't mention John Major or the election result directly. He just said people deserved better than what they'd got.

I guess that was bad form but it's different in a parliamentary system. Kinnock won the election in which he was a candidate, Trump didn't.
    Mind you, if Kinnock had made a concession speech, and Biden had lost, would Biden have plagiarised it?
    Huh? I thought Kinnock lost in 1992? Am I going mad?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

A Henry VIII approach as in write a strident defence of Holy Mother Church, get dubbed "Defender of the Faith" by the Pope, then bin off that defence and the Pope, do the opposite but continue to claim that you are defending the faith?

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

If the government really wanted to get tough with the nationalists it could do what Beijing is doing this morning and remove legislators from the Hong Kong legislature for questioning Beijing's authority, or it could have done what Madrid did in Catalonia and refuse to allow any independence referendum, suspend the Catalan Parliament and arrest Catalan nationalist leaders.

You aren't keeping up with hte news - Mr Jack has recanted.
    He hasn't, he has still said there will not be a referendum granted for a generation, just he was joking about that being 40 years
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mike Pence must be a tortured soul, wrestling with his conscience and oath of office.

His tweets have been non-controversial. He is supporting the Republican Senators in the re-run but that is to be expected.

He may be the one to prick the bubble by recognising Biden as President-Elect and sacrificing any hope for a run at the Presidency in 2024. Is he an honourable man? What does he really think about Trump and his coup plans?

He cant meet another woman without his wife being there in case God objects. The man doesn't think.

McConnell is the more interesting one, likely to be the most powerful republican, and second most powerful US politician if Trump loses, just another Trump lackey if he wins.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    edited November 2020

Jonathan said:

Smells bad. Like he’s getting his chess pieces ready.
    No other way of reading this in my opinion. He is attempting or will be attempting a coup. He's hoping the senior military will obey senior pentagon officials when he declares a state of national emergency and so on.
    Not sure about this, though I am sure Trump would run a coup if he could. Is it possible that 'Trump is attempting..... a coup' and somehow it isn't leading the news coverage in The Guardian?

• Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

My mother grew up in nearby Danziug/Gdansk at the time, and her father worked in Berlin. The parallels are importamt to keep in mind but are not that close. Germany was riddled with paramilitary forces before Hitler took over, and the Nazi regime was able to incorporate and build on them. The Proud Boys and similar groups are trivial by comparison. The will to have a coup does seem to exist among some extreme Trumpists, but the infratructure for it really isn't there, and the pull to normal process is very strong and will I think roll Biden into the White House without very much trouble.

In 4 years, with Trump campaigning non-stop, his own TV channel, etc., and possibly sustained post-pandemic economic difficulty, that may be different.So the threat shouldn't be simply shrugged off. But it's probably not imminent.
    Isn't that exactly the point i was making? The dangers are medium term on the back of groundwork already in place. Biden will be President. What happens in future is worrying.
  • Options
    Ronna McDaniel, Chair of the Republican National Committee (RNC), told FOX News commentator Sean Hannity that she has 234 pages containing 500 sworn affidavits alleging 11,000 incidents of various types of voter fraud.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

A lot going on today:

Whether or not it is cheaper, Gallowgate chose a course offering in-person Teaching. Well organised online courses are good, but they suit some students better than others, and I think that if you can commit the time and get yourself to the right location, then in-person courses are better for most students than online ones.

I think anyone who pays good money for a service and then get offered a different service has a good reason to grumble.

The counter justification in Corona times, which the Berlin unis are giving, is that if the courses were not held online then the students would not be able to study at all. But our students pay a couple of hundred Euros, not almost 10 grand.
    Eldest Granddaughter is currently doing a postgraduate course around 10 years after her undergrad one . Fortunately she is able to live at home, in the sense that her boyfriend, with whom she lives, is able to afford the rent on the place they are living, and indeed they picked it for that very reason.
    However, she grumbles that she misses being able to easily interact with fellow students, and although a lot of the necessary references are on-line would like to be able to use the library. She also feels that on-line lectures and tutorials are not as useful as being in the same room as the 'instructor'.
    It's also very difficult to do the investigations with people that she needs to do.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

It is the arrogance of nationalists who never accepted the 2014 result which was meant to be a once in a generation referendum I will never apologise for respecting
  • Options

Ronna McDaniel, Chair of the Republican National Committee (RNC), told FOX News commentator Sean Hannity that she has 234 pages containing 500 sworn affidavits alleging 11,000 incidents of various types of voter fraud.

Oh well, it's all over. Better cooly and objectively award this one to Trump.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

A Henry VIII approach as in write a strident defence of Holy Mother Church, get dubbed "Defender of the Faith" by the Pope, then bin off that defence and the Pope, do the opposite but continue to claim that you are defending the faith?

Sounds about right.
    I was thinking more in terms of Malky's allusion to the Rough Wooing - when given an opportunity to marry off the Peince to the Princess of Scotland and achieve union, invade and devastate everything between Lamberton and Stirling, more or less - and also the foundation of the C of E. But that's a good point.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

There's usually a wide range of differing opinions on this site, so I just want to do a quick reality check - is there anyone who doesn't think this kind of comment from HYUFD is completely out of order?
    It’s not out of order, it’s short sighted, it displays arrogance and self belief beyond normal but it’s not offensive or factually incorrect.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Huh? I thought Kinnock lost in 1992? Am I going mad?
    In a parliamentary system the party leader only stands in one election - to be MP in their own constituency. Kinnock won that election (by a huge margin too IIRC).
  • Options
    A scorched earth policy. Possibly literally.
  • Options

*Bullshit*

Plus 11k votes wouldn't even be enough to overturn the result. But it's a lie.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    MAGA twitter is convinced there is a coup going on AGAINST the president.
    Do the following thought experiment - Take what you know of the situation, reverse Biden for Trump. That's where Trump's base is at right now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

No, just no.

The UK is not the wannabe fascist jackboot state of HYUFD's fevered imagination. Every Tory on this site as far as I know is disgusted by his desire to use violence to suppress the Scots.

There are many, many Tories on this site who would be sad to see Scotland go if it happens, but wouldn't want to deny democracy or use force to make them stay. That's just HYUFD.
    If you had bothered to read what I said rather than jump straight into your usual rant I said London could have followed Beijing and Madrid and cracked down hard on the nationalists, not it should have but that the government has merely said it will not grant indyref2 for a generation which I do agree with and the nationalists should be grateful Westminster is not following Beijing and Madrid therefore instead of their usual whinging
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Scott_xP said:
    Looks like a coup attempt to me is all I can say.

I'm assuming Biden is taking this far more seriously behind the scenes.
    I'm not sure that he will be. There isn't a snowball in Hells chance that this is going anywhere and he knows that. The brightest and most powerful are for Biden. Any serious attempt to do a Mugabe would impoverish the whole country. They'll make sure it goes nowhere. Trump is well and trully finished
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

It is the arrogance of nationalists who never accepted the 2014 result which was meant to be a once in a generation referendum I will never apologise for respecting
    All it needs is for a Conservative leader to sign and section 30 order, and you'll be on here like a greased pig, breathlessly extolling the genius and righteousness of the move.
    You're a joke.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live is currently hosting a phone-in show about whether or not people should be "obliged" to take the Covid-19 vaccine. One person phoning the programme has called for people who refuse to take it to be "detained".

Nah, let natural selection get to work on the antivaxers.
    Really? Frustrating natural selection is pretty much your job description, if you think about it. Also, vaccines are pure homeopathy - take a tiny dose of the thing which does harm in the first place - and the government vaccine czar has thoughtfully warned us of the danger of freak harm from them. Broth all the way for me.
    Homeopathy isn`t a tiny dose of anything - it`s just water. Absolutely cannot be compared to a vaccine.
    Its advocates claim that homeopathy was over 25 times more effective at treating the Spanish Flu than allopathic remedies (found that and lots more delights here http://chironhealthcare.com/homoeopathy-explained/ ), I think we ought to look into it. Interestingly, if you quack and say “allopathy” at the same time it sounds a lot like “proper medicine”.
    There is an interesting theory that many Spanish Flu deaths were iatrogenic due to fatal overdose of Asprin. It is quite possible that some would have survived better with sugar water.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091002132346.htm
    “It’s better for you than a fatal overdose” is the best argument for homeopathy I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard plenty of others.
    There are other good ones. Why get your placebo effect from an SSRI when you can get it from water is one, and (in favour of the NHS offering it) an NHS homeopath is less likely than a full-on fruitloop practitioner to prescribe homeopathic remedies for, say, ovarian cancer.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Tim Snyder knows his stuff.
    I quite recommend his recent book, "The Road to Unfreedom". Quite an eye-opener that draws together a central narrative around a lot of recent events.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

One for HYFUD

I was actually wondering about that, but in fairness I think he should be asked if that is his actual view about Scotland, or Wales, or NI. If it isn't then he shoudl ease off. He shouldn't be pretending to recommend, say, that little old ladies in Crieff get beaten up by very large Metropolitan Policement for the crime of voting - which is basically what allusions to thbe Spanish treatment are. if it is, then I think it is up to the moderators.
This discussion has been closed.