Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It shouldn’t be long before WH2020 bets are settled – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

They fell out a while ago, didn't they?

Trump really needs those who have stuck with him because they believe he has the right policy solutions (and perhaps because they like the man) to show genuine concern at this stage over his mental health and legacy, and his impact on trust in US democracy.

Unfortunately, his pattern over the past four years has been to dump all those people for cynical "yes" men who are in it purely for their own careers (including access to the right wing news circuit, endorsement and money). If he had real friends or people wanting to give wise counsel, they have probably all long gone (or possibly Ivanka is the last woman standing - nobody else in the inner circle, older sons included, gives two sh1ts about the bloke).

It's all terribly sad in a way (although his own fault). He's the mega-lottery winner or football star who dumped his genuine friends in favour of fake ones, who will simply leach off him until he is a dry husk, then f*** off.

I don't think Trump ever had a genuine friend in the commonly understood use of the word.
    Ivanka still plugging away, I see.
    https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1325808239737495554

While it's fair to give his administration some credit for very large scale vaccine funding, in this case she's as inaccurate as ever.

https://twitter.com/Chrisann415/status/1325808424962158595
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is he the looney that wants to partition Scotland if they vote for independence ?
    He suggested parts of Strathclyde and the Lowlands could be partitioned from the rest of Scotland and remain in the UK back in 2013 even if Scots voted Yes as those areas would likely still vote No, I do not necessarily agree but given some Remainers have pushed independence for Yes voting Scotland and NI from a Leave voting UK I do not see there is much difference between the 2 arguments and saying the No voting Scottish Borders should remain in the UK post a hypothetical Scottish vote for independence

https://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/22672
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

OnboardG1 said:

For anyone who thinks Pfizer sat on the results: Didn't quite happen like that. They initially planned a 32 person interim review (ie when 32 people across the whole trial had covid) for the end of October which would have told them if the vaccine was effective, but regulators criticized that as being a bit premature. They agreed with the FDA to do a 64 person interim review and by the time the independent review team had done the unblinding they had 94 cases to work with. Still a fair bit of research to do to close the confidence intervals on the final effectiveness but it looks pretty damned solid.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/covid-19-vaccine-from-pfizer-and-biontech-is-strongly-effective-early-data-from-large-trial-indicate/

Trump is going to be p1ssed.

But this is great news because:

(1) It indicates other messenger RNA vaccines (like AZN/Oxford) are likely to work
    Moderna is mRNA, but the Oxford vaccine is a vector.
    Oops. You're right.
    It's particularly good news as it indicates that vaccines targeting the spike protein can be very effective.
    Fortunate, as that describes most of the vaccines in development.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    OnboardG1 said:

HYUFD said:

Trump really needs those who have stuck with him because they believe he has the right policy solutions (and perhaps because they like the man) to show genuine concern at this stage over his mental health and legacy, and his impact on trust in US democracy.

Unfortunately, his pattern over the past four years has been to dump all those people for cynical "yes" men who are in it purely for their own careers (including access to the right wing news circuit, endorsement and money). If he had real friends or people wanting to give wise counsel, they have probably all long gone (or possibly Ivanka is the last woman standing - nobody else in the inner circle, older sons included, gives two sh1ts about the bloke).

It's all terribly sad in a way (although his own fault). He's the mega-lottery winner or football star who dumped his genuine friends in favour of fake ones, who will simply leach off him until he is a dry husk, then f*** off.
    His male spawn (with the exception of Barron who, fortunately, isn't old enough quite yet to have become like his brothers) are the ultimate failsons. They are utterly useless leeches who are an embarrasment and a waste of the hideously expensive education lavished on them. In a just world they'd be middle managers at Wal-Mart.
    I know it isn't your main point but some people might work very hard to become middle managers at Wal-Mart and be very proud of getting there.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is he the looney that wants to partition Scotland if they vote for independence ?
    It worked great in Ireland and India, why not go for the trifecta?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Parliamentary Constituencies Bill - Govt proposing to reverse all Lords amendments in Commons tomorrow.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I do not see there is much difference between the 2 arguments

Quite.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    What's going on on Betfair - Trump now in to 16 for next President.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Quincel said:

I've got a bet on Trump winning Alaska and by the time it settles the AER% on my profit will be worse than a bank account. Do they have some principled objection to vote counting?

I dearly hope you lose that bet!

Not out of animosity but out of avarice.

They start counting postals tomorrow. In reality you are very safe but probably not as safe as you thought when you put the bet on.
    For a large State with a low population what they do makes a lot of sense. Count the in-person votes and then wait a week or so for all the postals to come in and count them all together. Keeps costs down, all nice and clear.

I think your bet will come in but as odds on shots go I don't think it's especially good value.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

I don't think Trump ever had a genuine friend in the commonly understood use of the word.
    Ivanka still plugging away, I see.
    twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1325808239737495554

While it's fair to give his administration some credit for very large scale vaccine funding, in this case she's as inaccurate as ever.

twitter.com/Chrisann415/status/1325808424962158595
    Actually I don't think she is being inaccurate...they didn't get Warp speed money for development (but that isn't what she claimed), she said because of Warp speed the funding will be there to guarantee large scale production and delivery, which isn't untrue.

"Operation Warp Speed, the federal effort to rush a vaccine to market, has promised Pfizer $1.95 billion to deliver 100 million doses to the federal government, which will be given to Americans free of charge."

She is smarter than her Dad. That tweet can be quickly read one way, but it doesn't quite say what you might first think it says.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

What's going on on Betfair - Trump now in to 16 for next President.

after biden?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

We've done a write-up of the IP issues surrounding the roll-out of Pfizer's covid-19 vaccine:

https://www.iam-media.com/coronavirus/pfizers-covid-vaccine-found-90-effective-raises-ip-questions

I understand the IP issues involved, but is this really the time to get into protracted legal disputes over licencing? Seriously - people are dying, economies are being crippled, etc etc.

If ever there was a case for "sort it out later" this is surely it?
    Certainly a case where governments should simply nationalize the disputed IP if there's any question.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited November 2020
    Alistair said:
    They should put Hunter on there anyway, just for a laugh!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Of the vaccine is 94% effective in preventing symptoms that means with 100% vaccination only 6% of people get symptoms and at a 0.5-1% CFR the upper ceiling on deaths in the UK would be somewhere around 16k-33k. I'd class that as acceptable and just open everything back up again.

Oh, it's much more encouraging than that.

We can target the 5% of people most likely to pass it on first - medical staff and care home workers. Because your personal R is different from the population R. Target the high R population, and the medically vulnerable population, and you reduce the likely impact of the disease pretty quickly.

If AZN/Oxford works as well as Pfizer (which we don't know), *and* we get contracted doses on time (30m AZN by end of year, 10m Pfizer), then it's quite possible that the most vulnerable and most likely to transmit are all vaccinated by Easter. Most restrictions can then be lifted, and the rest of us can then get in line, and expect to be vaccinated in the following 12 months.
    I'm working on the assumption of the vaccine not stopping people being infectious, just stopping symptoms.
    We should know pretty soon, once Pfizer has analysed all the samples and published results. I'd guess it will stop most being infectious, FWIW.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

OnboardG1 said:

HYUFD said:

His male spawn (with the exception of Barron who, fortunately, isn't old enough quite yet to have become like his brothers) are the ultimate failsons. They are utterly useless leeches who are an embarrasment and a waste of the hideously expensive education lavished on them. In a just world they'd be middle managers at Wal-Mart.
    I was thinking more Schitt's Creek where the son ends up bagging the groceries
    You're on the early series. 1 or 2.
    I am indeed, just being introduced to it, very funny
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Sandpit said:

Still don’t see Betfair setting anything until all results are properly certified and there’s no chance of any further challenges. They’re just a broker, have customers on both sides and will be risk-averse in calling anything.

Probably mentioned already but Ladbrokes has paid out on the election winner
  • Options

Alistair said:
    They should put Hunter on there anyway, just for a laugh!
    I doubt it pays enough.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    I see Kate Bingham has now finalised the order of priority for vaccination:

(1) Members of the government and their spouses
    (2) Older adults in a care home and care home workers
    (3) Workers in the the vital financial services industry
    (4) All those aged 80 and over
    (5) Health and social care workers, but only if there's enough left
    (6) We'll think about the others in 2022
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282

OnboardG1 said:

HYUFD said:

I know it isn't your main point but some people might work very hard to become middle managers at Wal-Mart and be very proud of getting there.
    You're right, that is rather unfair of me, and running a Wal-Mart isn't really a non-job. Perhaps the accountant at a seedy adult bookstore in Philly would be more appropriate?
  • Options

So that's 5.5 million aged 75+, or working in Care Homes:

https://twitter.com/LordRic52/status/1325777443253260288?s=20

And given the priority list is:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1325776285860245504?s=20

There's the first batch (10 million doses, 2 per patient) of Pfixer vaccine accounted for. Slightly surprised that "NHS clinical staff" not on the priority list....

Yes, but the important thing is not to get everyone immunised immediately, but to have an effective roll out that slows down the rate of infection through a reduction in r-rate. Even if only 20% of the population were immunised this would greatly reduce infection, and if it is targeted at vulnerable groups the pressure on healthcare systems is massively reduced, and the whole pandemic becomes massively more manageable.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Of the vaccine is 94% effective in preventing symptoms that means with 100% vaccination only 6% of people get symptoms and at a 0.5-1% CFR the upper ceiling on deaths in the UK would be somewhere around 16k-33k. I'd class that as acceptable and just open everything back up again.

We can target the 5% of people most likely to pass it on first - medical staff and care home workers. Because your personal R is different from the population R. Target the high R population, and the medically vulnerable population, and you reduce the likely impact of the disease pretty quickly.

If AZN/Oxford works as well as Pfizer (which we don't know), *and* we get contracted doses on time (30m AZN by end of year, 10m Pfizer), then it's quite possible that the most vulnerable and most likely to transmit are all vaccinated by Easter. Most restrictions can then be lifted, and the rest of us can then get in line, and expect to be vaccinated in the following 12 months.
    I'm working on the assumption of the vaccine not stopping people being infectious, just stopping symptoms.
    We should know pretty soon, once Pfizer has analysed all the samples and published results. I'd guess it will stop most being infectious, FWIW.
    I thought the Pfizer trial didn't include any testing of those without symptoms.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

OnboardG1 said:

HYUFD said:

I was thinking more Schitt's Creek where the son ends up bagging the groceries
    You're on the early series. 1 or 2.
    I am indeed, just being introduced to it, very funny
    OK. No spoilers then. Except to say it gets even better.
  • Options
    Chris said:

You missed those who make a satisfactory donation to the Tory Party.
    This is slightly tongue in cheek.
    But only slightly.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

HYUFD said:

You're right, that is rather unfair of me, and running a Wal-Mart isn't really a non-job. Perhaps the accountant at a seedy adult bookstore in Philly would be more appropriate?
    I think that is really unfair on accountants at seedy adult book stores.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Chris said:

But only slightly.
    Is it likely to be available privately in parallel? Obviously big profits available for Pfizer if they did this but bad PR.

Stuff like covid testing was still easily available privately when the govt were short of capacity earlier in the year.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

HYUFD said:

yes. next to the landscapers.
  • Options
    All down the pub to celebrate the vaccine news?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited November 2020

there is £4.8k at 1.02 for biden to get more than 75m votes. he already has.
    £540 at 1.01 for trump to get more than 70m votes. he already has.

https://time.com/5906423/2020-election-results/

don't understand why these arent settled. would need over a million votes chalking off to make them losers.

Did both those in good size at close to evens and they were far and away my most satisfying bets on WH2020. Reason being they were really professional jobbies. I read the "Early Voting" blog that was linked on here by various people, noted the turnout projection, did a quick calc, and SWOOPED. So I only got on because of the info shared on here, and then I tipped it back and lots of others here got on too. So - PB.com at its betting best there. :smile:
  • Options
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I thought the Pfizer trial didn't include any testing of those without symptoms.
    No, you are right; I was wrong.

But given the effectiveness of the vaccine, I'd guess that going ahead they might test for infection in vaccinated high risk populations going ahead.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    dixiedean said:

Chris said:

But only slightly.
    You missed out "their tortoise, Alan'...
  • Options

There's the first batch (10 million doses, 2 per patient) of Pfixer vaccine accounted for. Slightly surprised that "NHS clinical staff" not on the priority list....

That's a really interesting table. Does anyone know why there appears to be significant increase in the numbers of people in the age range 25-40? Was there a mini baby boom between 1980 and 1995?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

That's a really interesting table. Does anyone know why there appears to be significant increase in the numbers of people in the age range 25-40? Was there a mini baby boom between 1980 and 1995?
    Clearly euphoria of the great lady's election.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Chris said:

But only slightly.
    Funnily enough, I was just thinking of inserting:
    (0) "Attendees" of Kate Bingham's forthcoming £100-a-head dinner tour, where she will speak on "How my investment skills saved the world".
  • Options
    RobD said:

LOL. I genuinely hadn't thought of it in terms of political eras. I know the Left always said we were f****d if the Tories were in power. Maybe they meant it literally. :-)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    Re; the Trump future options discussion below, I wondered recently whether Trump might not just disappear off to somewhere like Monaco in the New Year, and set up Trump TV from there. What are the extradition arrangements between places like that and the U.S. ?
  • Options
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Trump is going to be p1ssed.

No, this is perfect

He was on track to be elected again when the deep state and China launched the virus to lose him the vote, and now that's done they release the antidote.

Textbook...

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1325800569706049542

Of course not. If it was part of WARP speed it could have been release weeks ago.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
    I've said it before, but it bears repeating, Pfizer has been head and shoulders above any of the other vaccine makers in this process. Both Moderna and AZN/Oxford started off a couple of months ahead, but Pfizer has done an absolutely incredibly job of getting trials done, and getting manufacturing up to speed.
    Yes, you have been spot on about this. Was thinking that this morning.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No, you are right; I was wrong.

But given the effectiveness of the vaccine, I'd guess that going ahead they might test for infection in vaccinated high risk populations going ahead.
    I've seen comments that the participants in the UK AstraZeneca trial were having regular antigen tests, so perhaps that will help to answer the question.
  • Options
    That is priceless.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,001
    RobD said:

Increase in babies born v. late 40's to mid 50's might account for the earlier years. And not all the girls were on the pill in the swinging 60's,
  • Options

Re; Trump's future listed below, I wondered recently whether Trump might not just disappear off to somewhere like Monaco in the New Year, and set up Trump TV from there. What are the extradition arrangement between places like that and the U.S. ?

Much easier to go somewhere like Panama. They basically never extradite anybody. Its very American in Panama City and he has a Trump Ocean Club there.
  • Options
    I do hope it will be published. Could be very funny!
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Thats why we are in lockdown 2
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789

RobD said:

LOL. I genuinely hadn't thought of it in terms of political eras. I know the Left always said we were f****d if the Tories were in power. Maybe they meant it literally. :-)
    Could be emigration in the category just older than that lot - Thatcher years, solitudinem faciunt and all that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Wasn't it holidays, given that 80% are of cases are the Spanish variety?
  • Options

Women stopped taking contraception because AIDS meant they wouldn't be having any casual sex anyway?
  • Options
    Oh, here it is. No doubt the incoming Biden administration will give it the close attention it merits:

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/11/08/letter-to-mr-biden/
  • Options

That is priceless.
    Indeed.
    For extended mirth here is the Daily Express article. If your sides can take it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1357839/Brexit-news-us-election-joe-biden-uk-trade-deal-Boris-johnson-update
  • Options

Oh, here it is. No doubt the incoming Biden administration will give it the close attention it merits:

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/11/08/letter-to-mr-biden/

Of course. Blighty's holding all the cards, after all.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Isn't it just the echo of the post-war baby boom (ie boomers kids). If baby boom (in UK terms) is roughly 1945-1965, then you would expect an 'echo' roughly 1975-1995.
  • Options
    I bet Biden is quaking in his boots.
  • Options

could it be adult immigration? or would they not show up in this table. another priority list published on here earlier had health care workers included in band 2 with the 80+. don't know why they couldnt have their own band. maybe only room for 10. this isn't spinal tap.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Though Kilcooney is no longer even in the UUP, he sits as a Crossbencher in the Lords
    Unfortunately for the special relationship, many will stop at the word "Lord" and assume he speaks for the government and Queen combined.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Leave voters continuing to get things wrong. *

* in greater numbers than Remain voters.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Though Kilcooney is no longer even in the UUP, he sits as a Crossbencher in the Lords
    Unfortunately for the special relationship, many will stop at the word "Lord" and assume he speaks for the government and Queen combined.
    I think those that are being appointed to run the US government by Biden will be smarter than that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789
    edited November 2020
    One would amost think that Lord K and Mr Redwood are trying to throw a clog in the diplomatic machinery.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

HYUFD said:

Lib Dem voters top of the class.
  • Options
    So today's announcement seems to vindicate the "hunker down and wait for a vaccine" approach to the virus as opposed to the main mooted alternative of "we need to find a way to live with it long term".

But of course not our deeply sub-optimal execution of that approach.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

I've got a bet on Trump winning Alaska and by the time it settles the AER% on my profit will be worse than a bank account. Do they have some principled objection to vote counting?

Perhaps you should check the NYT election results, which clearly state that, in Alaska, "No mail or other absentee ballots will be counted until about a week after the election."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    The same John Redwood even John Major beat 218 votes to 89 for the Tory leadership in 1995?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719

there is £4.8k at 1.02 for biden to get more than 75m votes. he already has.
    £540 at 1.01 for trump to get more than 70m votes. he already has.

https://time.com/5906423/2020-election-results/

don't understand why these arent settled. would need over a million votes chalking off to make them losers.

I guess there is a tiny risk via recounts and litigation?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kinabalu said:

So today's announcement seems to vindicate the "hunker down and wait for a vaccine" approach to the virus as opposed to the main mooted alternative of "we need to find a way to live with it long term".

Well start to finish i.e. by the time the wider population has got vaccinated is probably going to be 18 months. Swedish egghead said we all needed a plan for 2 years.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    RobD said:

Wasn't it holidays, given that 80% are of cases are the Spanish variety?
    Nah - he thinks the lockdown was brought in because they knew this was coming and didn't want us all to be out celebrating...
  • Options

Controlling our own fish.

twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1325712961172860928

I would settle for controlling our own Redwood. The man is a half-wit IMO.
  • Options
    A man whose ambition is to control his own fish.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

kinabalu said:

Well start to finish i.e. by the time the wider population has got vaccinated is probably going to be 18 months. Swedish egghead said we all needed a plan for 2 years.
    I doubt it will take that long. If the AZ vaccine proves as effective then it will be done in 5-8 months. It's literally the silver bullet to having a working economy again, expect absolutely gigantic sums to be spent on vaccination programmes across the world.
  • Options

The only quality he shares with the beautiful, august tree is that he's dense.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

I doubt it will take that long. If the AZ vaccine proves as effective then it will be done in 5-8 months. It's literally the silver bullet to having a working economy again, expect absolutely gigantic sums to be spent on vaccination programmes across the world.
    I think an emergency license would probably be procured as well to speed it up. Every nation with a biotech industry is going to be making the stuff. It could take a year or more, hard to tell, but I think you're right that a lot of money will be spent to speed it up.
  • Options
    slade said:

HYUFD said:

I think Lib Dem voters usually top these polls where there is a "right" answer - aren't they the highest level of education group?
  • Options

In a week with a lot of high and mighty falling, the descent of John Redwood from spiky but genuine genius (halfwits don't get to be Fellows of All Souls) to the deluded lost soul he now is has a certain sadness.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Well there is probably another month at least before more data and approval. Some roll out in December, then lets be optimistic, 6 months of full blast, that's August 2021, that's 18 months.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

Displaying similar agility.
  • Options

I bet Biden is quaking in his boots.
    It's not ideal for any American president to get on the wrong side of John Redwood, this is true, but Joe is tough old boot. I remember during the campaign he felt the sharp end of Iain Duncan Smith's tongue and he managed to ride that storm.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Is there anybody in the White House that hasn't had it?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    Chris said:

A man whose ambition is to control his own fish.

With a tiny, tiny blue passport...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I`ve been pondering this today, this does indeed seem to be the nub of it. You`ve summed it up nicely.

I`ve been a vocal proponent of the latter. Today`s news inspires hope, but I`m not quite ready to admit I was wrong and that the mother of all gambles has paid off quite yet. Seemed to me that hunkering down caused way to much damage in the hope of a vaccine-shaped silver bullet. But if one appears, works and can get administered prior to, say, the spring, and approximate normality is restored, I`ll happily admit I was wrong.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    dixiedean said:

OnboardG1 said:

He's about as agile too.
    Ah, but is he a Dawn redwood, a Giant redwood, or a Coastal redwood?

I'm guessing Coastal as that's the tall and thin one. It blows down easily but always resprouts.

• Options
    Re the ignoble Lord Kilclooney, note that (according to Wiki) in 2017 "was forced to deny he was racist after referring to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar in a tweet as "the Indian".

• Options
    Lennon said:

Isn't it just the echo of the post-war baby boom (ie boomers kids). If baby boom (in UK terms) is roughly 1945-1965, then you would expect an 'echo' roughly 1975-1995.
    That's a good hypothesis to explain it. Cheers. Trouble is I know this will niggle at me now so I will waste far too many hours looking different possibilities even though I know I probably won't come up with a better explanation than yours. :)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665

RobD said:

Increase in babies born v. late 40's to mid 50's might account for the earlier years. And not all the girls were on the pill in the swinging 60's,
    More likely East European immigrants. Birthrate was low in the Eighties.
  • Options

Re; the Trump future options discussion below, I wondered recently whether Trump might not just disappear off to somewhere like Monaco in the New Year, and set up Trump TV from there. What are the extradition arrangements between places like that and the U.S. ?

That reminded me of something that used to be on TV in the middle of the night decades ago.

But can anyone explain why a Google Image Search for "Patrick Wayne Ploom the Caterpillar" should bring up photos of Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro and Boris Johnson?
  • Options

Babyboomers kids coming of age and getting married etc?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is alright. It is just another of our half-wits doing his best to ensure that things will be as difficult as possible for the UK in the post-Trump, Brexit world....
  • Options
    slade said:

HYUFD said:

Rare to see 100% anywhere in a poll, and hats off to both of my fellow endangered lesser spotted Lib Dems whom YouGov somehow managed to hunt down to answer the question.
  • Options
    Coat of arms of John Taylor, Baron Kilclooney

Coronet
    A Coronet of a Baron
    Crest
    A Tailor Bird Or grasping a Bush eradicated Azure enflamed Or
    Escutcheon
    Azure issuing in base three Representations of the Scrabo Tower Argent with windows framed and Pinnacles Or each ensigned by a Viking Helm Argent horned Or
    Supporters
    On either side an Irish Elk Gules unguled and attired Or resting the exterior forehoof upon an Ulster Gatepost Argent
    Motto
    A While Fer Wark An A While Fer Spoartin

Addendum: An A While Fer Spewing Shite
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Interim results are also expected this month or in early December from trials for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/covid-19-vaccine-candidate-effective-pfizer-biontech

Big knees up down the pub for Christmas and massive New Year's party to hopefully celebrate 2 working vaccines....

I think Boris really has to make it clear, there is still a huge danger, we probably have at least another 6 months of restrictions ahead of us and if we don't follow the rules 10,000s of extra people will die.

This really has to be hammered home.
  • Options
    Redwood has a LAWS FISH FREEDOM vest doesn't he?
  • Options
    slade said:

HYUFD said:

This shows how few of the wacky old SW liberals now identify as Lib Dems.
This discussion has been closed.