Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It shouldn’t be long before WH2020 bets are settled – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

So today's announcement seems to vindicate the "hunker down and wait for a vaccine" approach to the virus as opposed to the main mooted alternative of "we need to find a way to live with it long term".

But of course not our deeply sub-optimal execution of that approach.

Well start to finish i.e. by the time the wider population has got vaccinated is probably going to be 18 months. Swedish egghead said we all needed a plan for 2 years.
    I doubt it will take that long. If the AZ vaccine proves as effective then it will be done in 5-8 months. It's literally the silver bullet to having a working economy again, expect absolutely gigantic sums to be spent on vaccination programmes across the world.
    Well there is probably another month at least before more data and approval. Some roll out in December, then lets be optimistic, 6 months of full blast, that's August 2021, that's 18 months.
    August 2021 is ten months away, not 18.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

I've got a bet on Trump winning Alaska and by the time it settles the AER% on my profit will be worse than a bank account. Do they have some principled objection to vote counting?

Perhaps you should check the NYT election results, which clearly state that, in Alaska, "No mail or other absentee ballots will be counted until about a week after the election."
    I did, and I know that. This is precisely my (mostly mock) frustration. Why wait so long?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Interim results are also expected this month or in early December from trials for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/covid-19-vaccine-candidate-effective-pfizer-biontech

Big knees up down the pub for Christmas and massive New Year's party to hopefully celebrate 2 working vaccines....

I think Boris really has to make it clear, there is still a huge danger, we probably have at least another 6 months of restrictions ahead of us and if we don't follow the rules 10,000s of extra people will die.

This really has to be hammered home.

No, people need to force the government to move quickly with the vaccine. A bit of rule breaking will be a healthy motivator for them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Interim results are also expected this month or in early December from trials for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/covid-19-vaccine-candidate-effective-pfizer-biontech

Big knees up down the pub for Christmas and massive New Year's party to hopefully celebrate 2 working vaccines....

I think Boris really has to make it clear, there is still a huge danger, we probably have at least another 6 months of restrictions ahead of us and if we don't follow the rules 10,000s of extra people will die.

Arguably this news should lead to tighter restrictions. Think of how many lives could be saved between now and the vaccine coming.
  • Options

Re the ignoble Lord Kilclooney, note that (according to Wiki) in 2017 "was forced to deny he was racist after referring to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar in a tweet as "the Indian".

Well, you can't fault his consistency.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Arguably this news should lead to tighter restrictions. Think of how many lives could be saved between now and the vaccine coming.
    And when the cases fall because of strict lockdown all the pressure to actually get the vaccine out there goes away. We've seen that the machinery of the state seems to only act under the most extreme pressure. Reducing that will just mean they get lazy because it stops being a priority. They wil use lockdowns as a medium term replacement for the vaccine.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited November 2020

I bet Biden is quaking in his boots.
    I hope he never reads it, he's got better things to do with his time, in the same way I hope Boris never reads anything that a random low level congressman were to send to him to complain.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Chris said:

A man whose ambition is to control his own fish.
    We will build a wall down the middle of the North Sea and the EU will pay for it!
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    They fell out a while ago, didn't they?

Trump really needs those who have stuck with him because they believe he has the right policy solutions (and perhaps because they like the man) to show genuine concern at this stage over his mental health and legacy, and his impact on trust in US democracy.

Unfortunately, his pattern over the past four years has been to dump all those people for cynical "yes" men who are in it purely for their own careers (including access to the right wing news circuit, endorsement and money). If he had real friends or people wanting to give wise counsel, they have probably all long gone (or possibly Ivanka is the last woman standing - nobody else in the inner circle, older sons included, gives two sh1ts about the bloke).

It's all terribly sad in a way (although his own fault). He's the mega-lottery winner or football star who dumped his genuine friends in favour of fake ones, who will simply leach off him until he is a dry husk, then f*** off.
    He's turning into King Lear isn't he?
    As long as it doesn't all end up with an unsuccessful invasion by the French and someone have his eyes gouged out...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

And and and

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-only-half-of-britons-say-they-would-get-a-vaccine-poll-reveals-12045605

That's from August. It may be there will be more appetite for it now that it looks like being much more effective than expected, but who knows? Bear in mind that Kate bloody Bingham was saying in the FT a few weeks back that the under 50s might be better off not getting it because of possible side effects.

There is still scope for an epic cockup.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

So today's announcement seems to vindicate the "hunker down and wait for a vaccine" approach to the virus as opposed to the main mooted alternative of "we need to find a way to live with it long term".

Well start to finish i.e. by the time the wider population has got vaccinated is probably going to be 18 months. Swedish egghead said we all needed a plan for 2 years.
    I doubt it will take that long. If the AZ vaccine proves as effective then it will be done in 5-8 months. It's literally the silver bullet to having a working economy again, expect absolutely gigantic sums to be spent on vaccination programmes across the world.
    Well there is probably another month at least before more data and approval. Some roll out in December, then lets be optimistic, 6 months of full blast, that's August 2021, that's 18 months.
    I think there will be two phases. The first will be a race to get enough people vaccinated that the R number will fall below 1 even without restrictions on the general population (though obviously contact tracing and isolation of people who are infected will need to continue). The second will be a longer-term mopping-up operation.

Given that perhaps as many as 20% in the UK may already have been infected, I am hopeful the first phase may be quicker than people expect, if the supply of vaccine is adequate. Though the snag is that the most vulnerable people, who will have the highest priority for vaccination, are probably the least prone to spread infection, on average.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Can't think why they swung away from Donald 'War Dead Are Losers' Trump.
    Trump just couldn't resist othering any group not offering total fealty, could he?
    Eventually he assembled a goodly coalition. He just wasn't great at politics.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, I`ve been pondering this today, this does indeed seem to be the nub of it. You`ve summed it up nicely.

I`ve been a vocal proponent of the latter. Today`s news inspires hope, but I`m not quite ready to admit I was wrong and that the mother of all gambles has paid off quite yet. Seemed to me that hunkering down caused way to much damage in the hope of a vaccine-shaped silver bullet. But if one appears, works and can get administered prior to, say, the spring, and approximate normality is restored, I`ll happily admit I was wrong.
    Yes, this is one where we all - including you - must hope you are proved wrong.

I'm feeling very positive in general today but some of it is probably Trump Toast bleeding into other matters. For example, it's just started raining here and I'm going to pop out and enjoy the feeling of it trickling down my neck. I wouldn't normally do that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    QAnon has Congressional representation. They are not a minor thing to be laughed at.

https://twitter.com/_MAArgentino/status/1325144053479075840?s=19
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Chris said:

With a tiny, tiny blue passport...
    My new one looks black
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Chris said:

It's slang. Don't google it at work.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

You've got to think of the economic cost, jobs lost, lives ruined, mental health collateral damage and huge debts run up (limiting future state help) against that as well. And what would those tighter restrictions be? Closing schools?

No thanks. Loosen for Christmas and the NY and then allow normal life with local lockdowns, as required, through to March/April by which time hopefully other things can be lifted.

We can then deal with the FUBAR fall-out and come up with a long-term economic plan.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Oh, here it is. No doubt the incoming Biden administration will give it the close attention it merits:

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/11/08/letter-to-mr-biden/

I suspect their junior staffers are way too busy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It's not ideal for any American president to get on the wrong side of John Redwood, this is true, but Joe is tough old boot. I remember during the campaign he felt the sharp end of Iain Duncan Smith's tongue and he managed to ride that storm.
    Looking at Redwood and Duncan Smith, it's interesting that two men ostensibly at opposite ends of the intelligence spectrum have ended up espousing such similar views. You might have thought it would have given Redwood at least some pause for thought.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

kinabalu said:

It's not ideal for any American president to get on the wrong side of John Redwood, this is true, but Joe is tough old boot. I remember during the campaign he felt the sharp end of Iain Duncan Smith's tongue and he managed to ride that storm.
    Looking at Redwood and Duncan Smith, it's interesting that two men ostensibly at opposite ends of the intelligence spectrum have ended up espousing such similar views. You might have thought it would have given Redwood at least some pause for thought.
    Opposite ends?
  • Options
    Sadly, the one developed country which probably won't get the full economic benefit from a vaccine is the UK, which has chosen to impose economic sanctions on itself from Jan 1st.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

And and and

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-only-half-of-britons-say-they-would-get-a-vaccine-poll-reveals-12045605

That's from August. It may be there will be more appetite for it now that it looks like being much more effective than expected, but who knows? Bear in mind that Kate bloody Bingham was saying in the FT a few weeks back that the under 50s might be better off not getting it because of possible side effects.

I find it literally unbelievable that she could have been so stupid as to say that. Could she really not have been aware of the concerns about the uptake of vaccination? Equally, did she really plan to unleash a vaccine with dangerous side effects on the public? Inexplicable.
  • Options

Redwood has a LAWS FISH FREEDOM vest doesn't he?
    It'll be more like ONE NATION UNDER COD
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,781
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

And and and

I find it literally unbelievable that she could have been so stupid as to say that. Could she really not have been aware of the concerns about the uptake of vaccination? Equally, did she really plan to unleash a vaccine with dangerous side effects on the public? Inexplicable.
    Excuse to cut her job by 50% and save money, no?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Trump just couldn't resist othering any group not offering total fealty, could he?
    The next neofascist will be far better at it. America has been warned.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Chris said:

Re; the Trump future options discussion below, I wondered recently whether Trump might not just disappear off to somewhere like Monaco in the New Year, and set up Trump TV from there. What are the extradition arrangements between places like that and the U.S. ?

That reminded me of something that used to be on TV in the middle of the night decades ago.

But can anyone explain why a Google Image Search for "Patrick Wayne Ploom the Caterpillar" should bring up photos of Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro and Boris Johnson?
    Why a Google Image Search for "Patrick Wayne Ploom the Caterpillar" ?
  • Options
    I'm struggling to see the fuss with the Redwood letter, and it's politely worded. Yes, he blames the EU - as you'd expect - but it's not unpleasant or totally barking.

The only thing I raised an eyebrow at is the EURef winning margin being a hostage to fortune - it's *possible* Biden bests that, so I wouldn't have included it.
  • Options
    Chris said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

I think there will be two phases. The first will be a race to get enough people vaccinated that the R number will fall below 1 even without restrictions on the general population (though obviously contact tracing and isolation of people who are infected will need to continue). The second will be a longer-term mopping-up operation.

Given that perhaps as many as 20% in the UK may already have been infected, I am hopeful the first phase may be quicker than people expect, if the supply of vaccine is adequate. Though the snag is that the most vulnerable people, who will have the highest priority for vaccination, are probably the least prone to spread infection, on average.
    I'm an "extremely vulnerable" person who is currently in no position to spread anything to any one as I'm working from home again and only going outside for exercise.
    On the other hand vaccinating me would get me back in front of my classes and save a fair bit in cover teacher costs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Re; the Trump future options discussion below, I wondered recently whether Trump might not just disappear off to somewhere like Monaco in the New Year, and set up Trump TV from there. What are the extradition arrangements between places like that and the U.S. ?

That reminded me of something that used to be on TV in the middle of the night decades ago.

But can anyone explain why a Google Image Search for "Patrick Wayne Ploom the Caterpillar" should bring up photos of Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro and Boris Johnson?
    We're all doing it now, obviously.
  • Options

I'm struggling to see the fuss with the Redwood letter, and it's politely worded. Yes, he blames the EU - as you'd expect - but it's not unpleasant or totally barking.

The only thing I raised an eyebrow at is the EURef winning margin being a hostage to fortune - it's *possible* Biden bests that, so I wouldn't have included it.

It's also irrelevant, not like either Biden or Brexit are going anywhere due to a narrow margin.

Whether Biden gets to 52% I'm not sure, but thanks to 3rd party votes I imagine he'll have a wider margin over Trump.
  • Options

There's no problem with it. The letter is hilarious.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    Roy_G_Biv said:

"For Cod and Ulster - No Surrender!"
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

slade said:

HYUFD said:
    Leave voters continuing to get things wrong. *

* in greater numbers than Remain voters.
    Lib Dem voters top of the class.
    Rare to see 100% anywhere in a poll, and hats off to both of my fellow endangered lesser spotted Lib Dems whom YouGov somehow managed to hunt down to answer the question.
    They didn't ask me so there are more of us out there than I thought.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

QAnon has Congressional representation. They are not a minor thing to be laughed at.

https://twitter.com/_MAArgentino/status/1325144053479075840?s=19

This is absolutely terrifying.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Just read the Redwood letter. It's as embarrassing as it is misguided.
  • Options
    Biden briefing impressive - talking about how mask wearing can make a difference, stressing unity. I guess Boris is waiting until Biden finishes.
  • Options
    Bozo had to wait for Biden to finish his speech.

Enough said.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Yes, Redwood is a total brainbox by all accounts. I was a bit surprised when I heard that and felt the need to check up on it, but yep - he is.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Are all Trump's legal efforts this shit ?

https://twitter.com/breaking_et/status/1325846375951704065
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

And and and

"Ms Bingham said vaccination policy would be aimed at those “most at risk” and noted that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid-19, “could cause them some freak harm”, potentially tipping the scales in terms of the risk-benefit analysis."

https://www.ft.com/content/d2e00128-7889-4d5d-84a3-43e51355a751

Mainstream anti-vaxxer doctrine.

• Options

Enough said.

I thought Joe Biden spoke very well and it is so refreshing

He also has set out to eliminate point scoring and that is also refreshing
  • Options

Biden briefing impressive - talking about how mask wearing can make a difference, stressing unity. I guess Boris is waiting until Biden finishes.

Do you think he can give Pelosi some lessons on how to wear one properly? I saw her being interviewed the other day and she kept fiddling with it as it slipped down past he nose every few seconds.
  • Options

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

I'm an "extremely vulnerable" person who is currently in no position to spread anything to any one as I'm working from home again and only going outside for exercise.
    On the other hand vaccinating me would get me back in front of my classes and save a fair bit in cover teacher costs.
    I just mean that because - quite rightly - we'll be vaccinating the most vulnerable first, the R number won't drop as fast as it would have done if we'd vaccinated low-risk super-spreaders first.

On the other hand, I think there's a lot in the argument that the percentage necessary for herd immunity will be a lot lower than the conventional figure of 60-70%, because the estimates of R that figure is based on reflect the people most likely to get and spread the virus, not the population as a whole.
  • Options
    Bozo says the cavalry is coming.

Let's hope it isn't the Charge of the Light Brigade.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

And and and

"Ms Bingham said vaccination policy would be aimed at those “most at risk” and noted that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid-19, “could cause them some freak harm”, potentially tipping the scales in terms of the risk-benefit analysis."

Jeez, why did she even say that?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    edited November 2020
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, Redwood is a total brainbox by all accounts. I was a bit surprised when I heard that and felt the need to check up on it, but yep - he is.
    Yes, he is. I attended an event in which he was speaking. Very impressive guy. That was 20 years ago though; he`s getting on a bit now. Age dulls the faculties I suppose - not me of course - not there yet - "controlling our own fish" FFS.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

"For Cod and Ulster - No Surrender!"
    Just ignore Redwood. He is just having a bit of a flounder, but he cannot do any batter.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Sorry - I should have explained. Ploom the Caterpillar was Patrick Wayne's co-star in "The Monte Carlo Show". I wondered whether s/he might still be available to appear with Donald Trump, if he set up Trump TV in Monaco as WhisperingOracle suggested.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited November 2020
    Chris said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

I just mean that because - quite rightly - we'll be vaccinating the most vulnerable first, the R number won't drop as fast as it would have done if we'd vaccinated low-risk super-spreaders first.

On the other hand, I think there's a lot in the argument that the percentage necessary for herd immunity will be a lot lower than the conventional figure of 60-70%, because the estimates of R that figure is based on reflect the people most likely to get and spread the virus, not the population as a whole.
    I think I would start with NHS staff, carers, and shop staff and/or transport workers: those most likely to catch it and then spread it if they have it.

Edit: oh, and teachers!
  • Options
    I can`t believe I`m still picking up 1.19 on BF 210-239 Trump ECVs. There are some fools about. Unless he wins Arizona or Georgia - then the fool will be me.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I can`t believe I`m still picking up 1.19 on BF 210-239 Trump ECVs. There are some fools about. Unless he wins Arizona or Georgia - then the fool will be me.

You can get similar on the 48.5 handicap market, and there Arizona wouldn't lose you the bet.
  • Options

Bozo says the cavalry is coming.

Let's hope it isn't the Charge of the Light Brigade.

In terms of cavalry charges that isn't close to being the worst; there is just a famous poem about it.
    At Waterloo the French cavalry were pretty instrumental in winning the battle for the Allies by blocking the French artillery from firing at the British squares long enough for the Prussians to arrive.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

I think I would start with NHS staff, carers, and shop staff and/or transport workers: those most likely to catch it and then spread it if they have it.

Sod the teachers. It's the children who spread it, symptomlessly. Typhoid Mary is sitting in the second row of class 2B.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

And and and

Sorry, I wasn't expressing doubt that she'd said it. I saw it at the time, and found it unbelievable then.

To be fair, we've also been told that when Boris Johnson offered her the job she expressed doubt as to her qualifications for it.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Stocky said:

You can get similar on the 48.5 handicap market, and there Arizona wouldn't lose you the bet.
    I`ve been banging away at that too. But its at 1.1 now, at best. I`m now picking up bits of 210-239 Trump ECVs at 1.19.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Sod the teachers. It's the children who spread it, symptomlessly. Typhoid Mary is sitting in the second row of class 2B.
    Thanks...
  • Options
    Trump isn`t going to win Georgia. No way. Arizona still worries me just a tad though. A lot of votes still out there.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Stocky said:

Quincel said:

Stocky said:

I`ve been banging away at that too. But its at 1.1 now, at best. I`m now picking up bits of 210-239 Trump ECVs at 1.19.
    Fair, though I found that if you left money to be laid at 1.25 or so it was getting matched even at large volumes. Would recommend giving it a try.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Are all Trump's legal efforts this shit ?

https://twitter.com/breaking_et/status/1325846375951704065

Several of them at least. I'm increasingly convinced someone promiseds him dozes of lawsuits, knowing that numbers is all he cares about, and so they'll file anything so they can say there were xx challanges to the election.

It has the added benefit for the conspiracy minded, who already go 'How could Trump get so few of the postal votes, just because he told people to vote in person? It must be rigged ' by having them go 'How could all of those dozens of cases be thrown out? It must be rigged'.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I'd want to see the full context before saying whether that response is justified or not.

They say "we submitted queries on your behalf" but I strongly suspect that is not the full story.

It's rather unprofessionally phrased from Mr Reddy, but one wonders whether what he responded to was better, or whether it was ten times worse.
  • Options
    I’ve been crunching numbers on Alaska: if Biden got 64% to Trump’s 36% of the remaining vote to be counted he squeaks the state (assuming roughly 4% continue to go to other)

As Biden has been doing better in postal votes is this worth a punt? (I’m sorry if this has been discussed already and discounted)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Oh, here it is. No doubt the incoming Biden administration will give it the close attention it merits:

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/11/08/letter-to-mr-biden/

As if his Junk Mail won't be already be ovrflowing with begging letters from Boris. Someone said it wasn't completely barking. What metric are they working to?
  • Options

I’ve been crunching numbers on Alaska: if Biden got 64% to Trump’s 36% of the remaining vote to be counted he squeaks the state (assuming roughly 4% continue to go to other)

As Biden has been doing better in postal votes is this worth a punt? (I’m sorry if this has been discussed already and discounted)

Alaska is solidly R and they are used to using postal votes due to the size of the state, so I would be amazed if it split the same way it does in other parts of the US. But, DYOR.
  • Options

I`ve just checked the prices on BF. Obviously don`t back Dems in Alaska at 6.4. If you are going to have a go lay the Reps at 1.04. I think that`s well worth a punt, though remember in Alaska because of distances mail voting is normal and unlikely to skew heavily Biden.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Seems astonishingly strange if true. Even with vexatious and abusive correspondence councils know not to respond like that, but in a way that says the same thing but more professionally.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited November 2020
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Redwood has a History BA and phd from Oxford and is a fellow of All Souls, headed Thatcher's policy unit and set up an investment business and was executive chairman of an industrial PLC, he had a formidable CV even before entering politics but while IDS may not have as stellar a CV both of them have been close since they were EU rebels during Major's premiership
  • Options

Enough said.

I thought Joe Biden spoke very well and it is so refreshing

He also has set out to eliminate point scoring and that is also refreshing
    Promising to eliminate point scoring itself scores lots of points.
  • Options
    If someone can explain QAnon to me (to the extent it is explainable) please do feel free. I don’t understand a thing of it aside from Trump being our saviour from paedophiles, or something.
  • Options
    Anything interesting from Boris?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Redwood has a History BA and phd from Oxford and is a fellow of All Souls, headed Thatcher's policy unit and set up an investment business and was executive chairman of an industrial PLC, he had a formidable CV even before entering politics but while IDS may not have as stellar a CV both of them have been close since they were Maastricht rebels during Major's premiership
    Are you sure about the PhD? Oxford awards DPhils...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Seems astonishingly strange if true. Even with vexatious and abusive correspondence councils know not to respond like that, but in a way that says the same thing but more professionally.
    It's just a screengrab of text. No evidence it's actually real.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Stocky said:

Trump isn`t going to win Georgia. No way. Arizona still worries me just a tad though. A lot of votes still out there.

There aren't as many votes as you'd think. Most of the remaining are "provisional". That is, people who were worried their postal wouldn't arrive on time (or who lacked proper documentation at the polling station). Getting through these will be non-trivial, but it's reasonable to assume that a fairly large portion of the "worried about postal vote" peoples' votes will have already been counted.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

dixiedean said:

The next neofascist will be far better at it. America has been warned.
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Redwood has a History BA and phd from Oxford and is a fellow of All Souls, headed Thatcher's policy unit and set up an investment business and was executive chairman of an industrial PLC, he had a formidable CV even before entering politics but while IDS may not have as stellar a CV both of them have been close since they were Maastricht rebels during Major's premiership
    They also award Masters without any study but yes if you want to be technical he has a DPhil which 'investigated the fear of atheism in England, from the Restoration to the publication of Alciphron'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Redwood
  • Options

It feels a stretch.

The EVs Biden has picked up (or strongly presumed to pick up but not yet called) compared with Clinton in 2016 are:

1. Michigan (Trump margin in 2016 = 0.23%)
    2. Pennsylvania (0.72%)
    3. Wisconsin (0.77%)
    4. Nebraska 2nd (2.24%)
    5. Arizona (3.55%)
    6. Georgia (5.13%)

Alaska had a 14.73% margin in 2016, and Biden missed a string of places which required less of a swing (Florida, North Carolina, Iowa, Ohio, Texas).

Stranger things have happened, and Alaska is a strange place. But I'd not wager a lot on it, frankly.
  • Options

In 2016 the early in person vote split 51/49 for Clinton and the mail vote split 60/40 for Trump

In 2020 the early in person vote has split.... 51/49 for Biden. The mail vote has doubled but it would require every single 'extra' vote to go Biden for the mail vote to save him.

I suspect (but have not crunched the numbers) that the mail vote will split about 50/50, maybe 55/45 Biden.

So not enough.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

They also award Masters without any study but yes if you want to be technical he has a DPhil which 'investigated the fear of atheism in England, from the Restoration to the publication of Alciphron'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Redwood
    What do you mean no study? I was enrolled in the University of Life for those four years!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

August 2021 is ten months away, not 18.
    No, i was talking about swedish egghead in Feb on this year said the strategy should be for 2 years, the idea of this done and dusted by September 2020 is nonsense. He was a bit on the pessimistic side. Its will be more like 18 months end to end.
  • Options

I assume (but don't know) that that % is as a proportion of the total Alaska mail in ballots outstanding, whereas the number returned will be less in practice. So Biden's target % is going to be significantly higher than 64%. They will know the total only when the deadline is reached. I wouldn't touch a bet against Biden with a bargepole at the best odds of 6/1 on offer, although I would DYOR to confirm my assumption.

The 7/1 on Trump in Arizona looks better value, although I think that the Democrats should be favorites to win based on the way Trump seems to be falling slightly short on the batches added recently. Arizona, in contrast to Alaska, doesn't yet seem a done deal. But I wouldn't put money on Trump out of principle - some things are beyond the Pale.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,423

If someone can explain QAnon to me (to the extent it is explainable) please do feel free. I don’t understand a thing of it aside from Trump being our saviour from paedophiles, or something.

It's like the Schleswig-Holstein Question, but a lot, lot worse. You really don't want to know.

Only 3 people understand it. One of them is dead, one has forget all about it and the last one has gone mad.

If you attempt to understand it, you will be pulled into a world where The Colours Are Wrong. And so is the Geometry.
  • Options
    Nevada slipping further from Trump's grasp:

Needs 78% of remaining ballots, getting 38%.

Penn drifting further away too.
  • Options

There's no problem with it. The letter is hilarious.
    You must be easily amused!
  • Options

It's like the Schleswig-Holstein Question, but a lot, lot worse. You really don't want to know.

Only 3 people understand it. One of them is dead, one has forget all about it and the last one has gone mad.

If you attempt to understand it, you will be pulled into a world where The Colours Are Wrong. And so is the Geometry.
    :D
  • Options

I assume (but don't know) that that % is as a proportion of the total Alaska mail in ballots outstanding, whereas the number returned will be less in practice. So Biden's target % is going to be significantly higher than 64%. They will know the total only when the deadline is reached. I wouldn't touch a bet against Biden with a bargepole at the best odds of 6/1 on offer, although I would DYOR to confirm my assumption.

It's mail ballots received (not outstanding) plus provisionals.

So two hard numbers, bit of course not all those provisionals will be valid.
  • Options

The 7/1 on Trump in Arizona looks better value, although I think that the Democrats should be favorites to win based on the way Trump seems to be falling slightly short on the batches added recently. Arizona, in contrast to Alaska, doesn't yet seem a done deal. But I wouldn't put money on Trump out of principle - some things are beyond the Pale.
    I don't think either is good value.

Alaska would involve Biden overcoming a margin of nearly 15% in 2016, which he's not come close to elsewhere.

In Arizona, Trump is running out of batches of uncounted votes, and we've had enough to say he's consistently short of what he requires (not by miles but the consistency is doing for him and it's probably slipped away).

The value at the moment is taking small amounts off people who are delusional and think there's a twist in the tale that just isn't coming.
  • Options

there is £4.8k at 1.02 for biden to get more than 75m votes. he already has.
    £540 at 1.01 for trump to get more than 70m votes. he already has.

https://time.com/5906423/2020-election-results/

don't understand why these arent settled. would need over a million votes chalking off to make them losers.

This is a near certain 2% returning 3 months (AER 8% assuming it’s settled in Jan), better than in a bank. You could also hedge by covering 70-75 million (75 is available but I think asking to be matched at 100 would get you covered) to make it A risk free 1% (AER 4%)

• Options
    Is it me, or is Boris usually good/competent tonight?
  • Options

Is it me, or is Boris usually good/competent tonight?

He has his moments. Unfortunately, to be PM, you need to be like this 80-90% of the time, not 10-20% of the time.
    Besides, this is basically Good News. This is the easy bit, the bit Boris hoped it would all be like.
This discussion has been closed.