Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

As the counts continue it’s looking pretty certain that Biden will be heading for the White House –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2020 in General
imageAs the counts continue it’s looking pretty certain that Biden will be heading for the White House – politicalbetting.com

It is morning now on the east coast of the US and the counting continues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1st. Like Sleepy.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Yes, at the moment it does look like Biden will be President elect, the question is now merely about his margin of victory.

If confirmed it will be a historic feat he has achieved, only the second presidential candidate alongside Ronald Reagan since 1900 to defeat an incumbent President after only 1 term of his party in the White House
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Well done Biden. Bit of a wobble and no landslide for the party (though that may not be a bad thing), but he has done what was needed it seems.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

RH1992 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't really get the fuss over this. It's basically a reversion to the status quo when Obama thought that Merkel/Hollande were the key players in Europe and regularly went to them over Cameron first. Cameron and Brown were both snubbed by Obama and we still got on. Trump didn't exactly favour the UK either, he just seemed to hate all things EU even more. Regardless of what happens, our on again off again relationship with the US will continue as usual.
    People underestimate how much of the relationship is baked in at the official level.
    They don't underestimate it, they willfully ignore it so that all the people they don't like can be perfectly grouped together.

Same reason people often act as though parties on the left and right in another country would line up with our left and right parties, which is far from certain.
  • Not sure the word pretty is needed in the title of the thread.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

Yes, at the moment it does look like Biden will be President elect, the question is now merely about his margin of victory.

If confirmed it will be a historic feat he has achieved, only the second presidential candidate alongside Ronald Reagan since 1900 to defeat an incumbent President after only 1 term of his party in the White House

How is Trafalgar doing?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    HYUFD said:

Fair point.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Time for Twitter to suspend @therealdonald IMO

Its going to cost lives if they dont shut this idiot down

Or if they do!!
  • Never in doubt.

I was the epitome of calmness in the early hours of Wednesday, the 3 and 5 on Biden was like stealing money.

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?
    Wrong on MI AZ PA

But how can a pollster spot FRAUD!!

Not really any worse than most pollsters who were wrong on FL NC IO
  • HYUFD said:

Indeed.

The only first term (party wise) losers since 1900: Carter, Trump.

Trump deserves a legacy like that.
  • We all know the special relationship stuff is overblown. I'm not expecting Johnson and Biden to be best pals, but I'm sure they'll get along just fine, for what it's worth.
  • I bet Don is yelling at the Secret Service at the moment.

https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/1324595275600519170
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Not sure the word pretty is needed in the title of the thread.

British understatement.

Trump can be controversial.
    Looking pretty certain that Biden will be heading to the White House.
    Brexit will be an omnishambles of epic proportions.

All classic British understatement.
  • Never in doubt.

I was the epitome of calmness in the early hours of Wednesday, the 3 and 5 on Biden was like stealing money.

I suspect that quite a lot of people (like me) did well enough, but are wondering if they could have done better.

Still, about the third best election for me to date.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Would it be fair to say that once Biden overtakes Trump in PA the networks will call it, since all the evidence points to Biden picking up at least 60% of the remaining votes?

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?
    In all fairness to @HYUFD he has conceded that point a while ago I think.

The deep irony of it is that if he had trusted his own instincts and techniques and simply added the undecideds to Trump he'd be by far the richest punter on PB right now.

Would it be fair to say that once Biden overtakes Trump in PA the networks will call it, since all the evidence points to Biden picking up at least 60% of the remaining votes?

I suspect that it right, yes.
    Next major update AZ is at 11amET 4pm
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020

I think they'd want to wait until there's a healthy buffer in Biden's lead before calling it given all the controversy involved.

Anyone going off projections should have already called it for Biden.

British understatement.

The first genuine LOL of the day for me.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?
    Wrong on MI AZ PA

But how can a pollster spot FRAUD!!

Not really any worse than most pollsters who were wrong on FL NC IO
    I think the American pollsters look bad, but Trafalgar was supposed to be the bright, new shiny thing with the super-accurate, wonder methodology.

They were not just some political hacks delivering the results those on their side of the divide wanted to hear.

• Never in doubt.

I suspect that quite a lot of people (like me) did well enough, but are wondering if they could have done better.

I'm very pleased. But not counting those chickens just yet.
  • @TSE the first "British" Commonwealth dates from Cromwell's time

Next major update AZ is at 11amET 4pm

0900 MST?
  • Would it be fair to say that once Biden overtakes Trump in PA the networks will call it, since all the evidence points to Biden picking up at least 60% of the remaining votes?

My guess is that Fox will be the first to call PA and Biden's victory.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    Totally O/T....I am coming to the conclusion Baby Yoda isn't actually an adorable bundle of fun, he is actually evil sleeper agent....and a Tory voter.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

@TSE the first "British" Commonwealth dates from Cromwell's time

Parliament declared that period of history null and void.

My guess is that Fox will be the first to call PA and Biden's victory.
    Agreed. The Fox Decision Desk prides itself on calling races first.

Are there any examples of it ever getting a call wrong?
  • Never in doubt.

I don’t think anything will ever match the free money and high odds on offer for a Tory majority in 2015, Trump, or Brexit in the middle of each night when the result looked certain. A part of me is now always searching for the same thing, and that’s dangerous and potentially expensive.
  • HYUFD said:
    That's how the deep state would play it ;-)
  • To put it in a way that GOPers may understand: All votes matter!
    edited November 2020

To put it in a way that GOPers may understand: All votes matter!

Up to a point, you wouldn't count invalid ones, would you?
  • kicorsekicorse Posts: 431

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And I'm sure Carter had goals in life other than being perceived as a winner. That's quite a hell that Trump has made for himself.
  • Can we have John King to do our graphics for election night rather than the woeful Jeremy Vine?
  • RobD said:

Yes I would, I would count them as invalid. There's a reason even spoilt ballots get counted and reported.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

HYUFD said:
    The election truther movement will be the next conspiracy cottage industry.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

HYUFD said:
    Yep, definitely seeing a pattern of cheating. There was one vote dump in GA that put Trump net 30 up. These Democrats are sneaky bastards

RobD said:

Yes I would, I would count them as invalid. There's a reason even spoilt ballots get counted and reported.
    True, but they don't matter. ;)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    This could be really really serious...Wuhan but worse.

Mutated coronavirus found in Danish mink has now spread to more than 200 people

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8920593/Mutated-coronavirus-Danish-mink-spread-214-people-lockdown-announced.html
  • Scott_xP said:
    Sticking with Trump until the Supreme Court imo. The narrative will be that the election is stolen and that its right to do anything and everything to get "justice". That will include not just court battles but using state legislatures to "correct" stolen Electoral College votes.

Whilst its close to over, merely getting enough votes doesnt make this over. Biden needs to get Republican senators and media to recognise his win too.

Can we have John King to do our graphics for election night rather than the woeful Jeremy Vine?

King could be the richest guy in world media simply by offering his services to networks in major Western democracies for a few days each year.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Micah Cohen on 538 on Georgia numbers, quoting Gabriel Sterling, "statewide voting systems implementation manager". At least 8197 to come including at least 4800 from Gwinnett County. Not counting provisionals, absentee cures and military/overseas. Military/overseas not more than 8,899.
  • Chris said:

Micah Cohen on 538 on Georgia numbers, quoting Gabriel Sterling, "statewide voting systems implementation manager". At least 8197 to come including at least 4800 from Gwinnett County. Not counting provisionals, absentee cures and military/overseas. Military/overseas not more than 8,899.

I quite fancy being a Statewide Voting Systems Implementation Manager. I wonder how you get that gig?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8920593/Mutated-coronavirus-Danish-mink-spread-214-people-lockdown-announced.html

Those poor mink in the photo
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?
    Mixed, they forecast the winner right in Texas, Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio and Iowa and likely North Carolina in their final polls, they called the winner wrong in Michigan and likely Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania and maybe Georgia
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

Chris said:

I quite fancy being a Statewide Voting Systems Implementation Manager. I wonder how you get that gig?
    In Georgia, the first stage of the selection procedure is a slow bicycle race.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

I wouldn't go that far, all legal votes matter. Postal votes are legal so they matter.

I still don't understand Trump's tirade against postal voting, it's cost him Georgia, AZ, and possibly PA too.

Discouraging people from voting seems like such a stupid strategy to win an election.
  • This could be really really serious...Wuhan but worse.

Posted a link to the BBC article last night!
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?

The deep irony of it is that if he had trusted his own instincts and techniques and simply added the undecideds to Trump he'd be by far the richest punter on PB right now.
    My final forecast was 269 269, I said Biden would win Michigan and Arizona unlike Trafalgar in my final forecast, I was likely still wrong but not a million miles off the final result either
  • MaxPB said:

I wouldn't go that far, all legal votes matter. Postal votes are legal so they matter.

I still don't understand Trump's tirade against postal voting, it's cost him Georgia, AZ, and possibly PA too.

Discouraging people from voting seems like such a stupid strategy to win an election.
    And with it, the election. If he'd taken those three, he'd have won.

Hoist by his own petard. Lovely thought.

Denmark = Nuke Zone.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?

My final forecast was 269 269, I said Biden would win Michigan and Arizona unlike Trafalgar in my final forecast
    You were closer than me mate.

I had it 260-278 to Trump.

A very bad miss.
    RobD said:
    Indeed. Little more he should say other than "Democracy demands that the people decide who governs. We are seeing that democracy is alive and well in the US with record numbers of voter registrations and votes cast. We congratulate all Americans on this record turn out. As for how the voting is organized and conducted, that is a matter for Americans to decide. It would not be right or proper for me to opine on specifics of their electoral system."
  • MaxPB said:

Denmark = Nuke Zone.
    Don't give Trump any ideas. We've got 2 more months of the great tantrum to endure.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?

My final forecast was 269 269, I said Biden would win Michigan and Arizona unlike Trafalgar in my final forecast

A very bad miss.
    LOLs, I think about everyone was closer than me. I predicted a Blue Wave. Hah! (Egg on face) Still happy, though :D
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited November 2020
    @kinabalu FPT

I`ve been looking into beekeeping too. The thing that puts me off is that there`s a lot to learn and I`m not interested in the honey (too many calories ruin the figure).

As a first step, I`ve tried a bumble bee box (which is great except wax moths are a nuisance). You get sent a bunch of bees every spring. And I`ve now alighted on the joys of "keeping" solitary bees. Check out the link below:

https://nurturing-nature.co.uk/product/award-winning-solitary-bee-observation-nest-box/

I have about 50 solitary bee cocoons (Red Masons) this year which I am overwintering for release in April.

The Nurturing Nature website is run by George Pilkington, a biologist. He`s really helpful - very approachable. I recommend his website highly.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

https://xkcd.com/1122/
    isam said:

Those poor mink in the photo
    Yeah, the faster we can get away from farming animals like this the better.
  • TimT said:

RobD said:
    Indeed. Little more he should say other than "Democracy demands that the people decide who governs. We are seeing that democracy is alive and well in the US with record numbers of voter registrations and votes cast. We congratulate all Americans on this record turn out. As for how the voting is organized and conducted, that is a matter for Americans to decide. It would not be right or proper for me to opine on specifics of their electoral system."
    For now that would be perfect. However, if the election is stolen and results in violence presumably our response should be the same as this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-statement-on-the-31-october-2020-presidential-elections-in-cote-divoire
  • eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

https://xkcd.com/1122/
    I am at company with my friends <3
    TimT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?

A very bad miss.
    LOLs, I think about everyone was closer than me. I predicted a Blue Wave. Hah! (Egg on face) Still happy, though :D
    You picked the winner though – so well done on that.

And, presumably, evict Donald Trump if he doesn't leave.

MaxPB said:

Yes, it's actually brilliant. It's crazy how close he came to winning, if he'd fired up his base to swamp the postal vote system as well as those who wanted to vote in person I think he'd have won. There will have been enough voters in thre states who didn't vote in person but would have voted by post if they trusted the system and Trump didn't undermine its legitimacy. People voting for Biden would still have voted for Biden by post or in person, he only discouraged his own supporters. Truly he is an idiot.

Can we have John King to do our graphics for election night rather than the woeful Jeremy Vine?

King could be the richest guy in world media simply by offering his services to networks in major Western democracies for a few days each year.
    I think that is a disservice to the deep research he does year round to be able to pull off what you see on the screen.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,774

I find most of CNN and Wolff Blitzer (sp?) seriously irritating, worse than the BBC but I would make an exception for John King. Clear and numerate.

Not now..
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, it's actually brilliant. It's crazy how close he came to winning, if he'd fired up his base to swamp the postal vote system as well as those who wanted to vote in person I think he'd have won. There will have been enough voters in thre states who didn't vote in person but would have voted by post if they trusted the system and Trump didn't undermine its legitimacy. People voting for Biden would still have voted for Biden by post or in person, he only discouraged his own supporters. Truly he is an idiot.
    Should have been telling them to vote by post AND in person. He would have walked it.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

MaxPB said:

Denmark = Nuke Zone.
    Don't give Trump any ideas. We've got 2 more months of the great tantrum to endure.
    I reckon the military changed the neuclear codes on Tuesday quarding against the eventuality that Trump goes crazy.
  • kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    edited November 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Sticking with Trump until the Supreme Court imo. The narrative will be that the election is stolen and that its right to do anything and everything to get "justice". That will include not just court battles but using state legislatures to "correct" stolen Electoral College votes.

Whilst its close to over, merely getting enough votes doesnt make this over. Biden needs to get Republican senators and media to recognise his win too.
    The Republicans winning the Senate might not help Trump here. I suspect that many Republican politicians are privately delighted with the outcome of the election, and will be grateful for the opportunity to dissociate themselves from Trump by refusing to cooperate with his attempts to steal it.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,091

British understatement.

I am old enough to recall that being the expectation with Reagan. Yet he had some competent people around him and was happy to do the genial handshaking and leave the hard thinking to others. Biden has the same potential.
    TimT said:

I think that is a disservice to the deep research he does year round to be able to pull off what you see on the screen.
    Fair point – apologies.

TimT said:

RobD said:
    For now that would be perfect. However, if the election is stolen and results in violence presumably our response should be the same as this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-statement-on-the-31-october-2020-presidential-elections-in-cote-divoire
    Yeah, if (and that's a huge IF) and when there is any evidence of systemic malfeasance which has impacted the outcome, I'd agree the UK would have to say its piece in defence of democratic norms.
    TimT said:

Indeed. His knowledge of the US county by county is astonishing.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Chris said:

I think it was Gabriel Sterling I watched in a press conference yesterday about outstanding GA ballots. Very professional guy. I'd vote for him.
    DavidL said:

I find most of CNN and Wolff Blitzer (sp?) seriously irritating, worse than the BBC but I would make an exception for John King. Clear and numerate.
    And so way more impactful when he finally lets rip into Trump.
  • kicorse said:

Scott_xP said:

The Republicans winning the Senate might not help Trump here. I suspect that many Republican politicians are privately delighted with the outcome of the election, and will be grateful for the opportunity to dissociate themselves from Trump by refusing to cooperate with his attempts to steal it.
    BF: "Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market."

RobD said:

@TSE the first "British" Commonwealth dates from Cromwell's time

Parliament declared that period of history null and void.
    Yet it had an enduring legacy
    TimT said:

DavidL said:

"The President says it's wrong. It's not wrong. We count votes. That's what we do in the United States of America."

Not now..
    No doubt Denmark will be unquarantined by Shapps by close of play today.
  • I just don't understand why there's still over a hundred grand available to back Biden at 1.07 still on Betfair. The writing is on the wall now.

This is a situation where I'd be drawing down cash on my credit card to soak that all up, if the shysters in Government hadn't banned it.
    eristdoof said:

MaxPB said:

Denmark = Nuke Zone.
    I reckon the military changed the neuclear codes on Tuesday quarding against the eventuality that Trump goes crazy.
    Lord, I hope so.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

+1 by calling postal votes into question Trump probably lost a lot of potential postal votes who then didn't come out in person because of the time it would take. Given how close a lot of these states are and how much the postal votes are swaying things the other way discouraging postal votes may well have cost him the election.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How is Trafalgar doing?

My final forecast was 269 269, I said Biden would win Michigan and Arizona unlike Trafalgar in my final forecast, I was likely still wrong but not a million miles off the final result either
    Both the popular vote and electoral college are going to finish with clear wins for Biden, broadly comparable with previous victories for previous presidents. If that was in your forecast I apologise for missing it.

Posted a link to the BBC article last night!
    I know. I for one was hoping it was some kind of joke.
  • What do the Dutch do?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54828544

Traditionally, it's put down to the fact they tend to eat a diet high in dairy, but is it really just that?

One thing I do know: virtually everyone Dutch I've ever met is bloody tall.
  • DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Backing Biden on Betfair is free money now, people laying him haven't read the rules properly, it's the 'projected winner' and Biden will be confirmed the projected winner within hours, the outcome of court cases etc etc don't count.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He’d have won if he’d been ill for the first debate

And, presumably, evict Donald Trump if he doesn't leave.
    He will leave by Saturday. Not because he concedes but to play golf in Florida.
    At the moment Biden's winning margin in California is greater than his winning margin across the country as a whole or, to put it another way, outside California Trump has won more votes than Biden.

Doesn't matter of course but interesting all the same. I wonder how many Republicans in California don't bother to vote for the Presidency.

TimT said:

DavidL said:

"The President says it's wrong. It's not wrong. We count votes. That's what we do in the United States of America."
    I was drifting in and out of sleep yesterday late evening, but I am sure I heard him use the words 'ludicrous' and 'inconsistent' too. It made me smile, given how even-tempered he is all the rest of the time.
    Stocky said:

@kinabalu FPT

I`ve been looking into beekeeping too. The thing that puts me off is that there`s a lot to learn and I`m not interested in the honey (too many calories ruin the figure).

As a first step, I`ve tried a bumble bee box (which is great except wax moths are a nuisance). You get sent a bunch of bees every spring. And I`ve now alighted on the joys of "keeping" solitary bees. Check out the link below:

https://nurturing-nature.co.uk/product/award-winning-solitary-bee-observation-nest-box/

I have about 50 solitary bee cocoons (Red Masons) this year which I am overwintering for release in April.

The Nurturing Nature website is run by George Pilkington, a biologist. He`s really helpful - very approachable. I recommend his website highly.

My neighbour keeps bees. He seems to need a lot of pallets.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Obviously the paint isn’t dry yet but it’s starting to run.
This discussion has been closed.