Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The WH2020 count goes on with still no sign of a resolution – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

Yokes said:

CNN: Biden 253, Trump 213
    BBC: Biden 253, Trump 214

What's the extra electoral college vote that BBC is attributing to Trump that CNN aren't? Just out of curiosity.

I believe its a district of Maine.
    For once since Tuesday I believe the BBC are correct. The R2 1900 news explaining that Biden is leading but Trump is ahead in PA, GA, NV, and NC.
    I don't think Trump is ahead in NV.
    He's not hes about 12k votes down with no way back, the remaining votes will be much pro Biden
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Mr Ed has got almost all his calls wrong.

I have no idea whatsoever why he is lauded on here as some kind of seer.

(As polite a chap as he is)

It's Thursday night. We still don't have a winner. Mr Ed was nearer the mark than all those here who were only arguing over how big Biden's margin would - bigly or yuge...

So I cut him some slack.

(I of course called the Biden win at one minute past midnight, Wednesday morning. But I expressed no opinion as to how tight it would be.)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    edited November 2020
    EPG said:

Why Macron is going to crush it Part 368..

*Everyone* in the centre and centre-left who wants to win elections in Western elections where they face a strong populist challenge needs to be taking notes:

https://twitter.com/PenalltaRat/status/1324429968202498049?s=19

They will be taking note of Biden who has just beaten an election winner on your side.
    What if Macron suggests offering (EU - free movement) to the UK?

Just trolling.....

I thought free movement was mandatory - no cherry picking?
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

What's the extra electoral college vote that BBC is attributing to Trump that CNN aren't? Just out of curiosity.

Google/AP

Biden 264 Trump 214
    Thats because they called AZ so early, even though its still very close 24 hours later, They may be right of course
    They have Biden roughly 69,000 ahead with 88% counted.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

rcs1000 said:

To repeat what I said earlier, I don't think the Supreme Court is going to weigh in on anything electoral related without overwhelming evidence. Simply, whatever their political views, they're mostly professionals and they all have their eyes on the history books. (Plus, the last thing they want to do is to encourage the Dems to pack the court when they next get to 50 Senators.)

Alan Dershowitz on Bush-Gore 2000 Supreme Court decision:

"The decision in the Florida election case may be ranked as the single most corrupt decision in Supreme Court history, because it is the only one that I know of where the majority justices decided as they did because of the personal identity and political affiliation of the litigants. This was cheating, and a violation of the judicial oath"

Hope you are right, but can't share your optimism if there are just 1 or 2 states in it. Hopefully its 3,4 or even 5.
    But the bar for overturning something - especially in an election - has to be high. And Bush was leading.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

ydoethur said:

Trump case dismissed in Michigan. Filed at the wrong time, against the wrong person.

How incompetent are these loons?

Trump said file lots of lawsuits, so they're just randomly filing lots of hopeless lawsuits.
    The important thing is for him to be able to say there were cases about voter fraud regardless of the outcome, and if any succeed in however minimal a way, that will be the fodder for stating there were massive problems.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Please, please pretty please let Fox be the one to declare Biden the winner.

Karma’s a bitch...but it would be absolutely pant-wettingly funny.
    I'm suprised the other networks dont call NV just to try to push Fox into calling the election for Biden , yes
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    edited November 2020
    I think republicans for Biden was actually a thing - Biden is outpacing House Dems by 2.85 million votes.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

58,000 cases in France today. New record.

Be nice to know the uk numbers but apparently not possible to do this...
    58,000 cases implies 3000-5000 new hospitalisations, and ~1000 in ICU? In one day
    58k tested cases in France translates to around 200-230k cases in real terms with around 40% symptomatic. France is heading into the 1k deaths per day range in case terms. I do wonder why they didn't implement a tier system when they were at the level of ~10k real cases like we did.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rcs1000 said:

To repeat what I said earlier, I don't think the Supreme Court is going to weigh in on anything electoral related without overwhelming evidence. Simply, whatever their political views, they're mostly professionals and they all have their eyes on the history books. (Plus, the last thing they want to do is to encourage the Dems to pack the court when they next get to 50 Senators.)

"The decision in the Florida election case may be ranked as the single most corrupt decision in Supreme Court history, because it is the only one that I know of where the majority justices decided as they did because of the personal identity and political affiliation of the litigants. This was cheating, and a violation of the judicial oath"

Hope you are right, but can't share your optimism if there are just 1 or 2 states in it. Hopefully its 3,4 or even 5.
    Whether that SCOTUS decision was right or wrong, it was made in the context of the 2000 Florida electors, and thereby the whole Electoral College, still not being settled just a few days before the EC was due to vote. Trump's obviously hoping to muddy the waters and delay certification of as many swing states as he needs to a similar timescale so that SCOTUS will feel obliged to settle things so that the Electoral Vote can take place. But that's a lot easier to do if everything holds on exactly one state as in 2000.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Its good business for them, they are about lose viewers to Trump TV anyway, may as well shore up the moderate Republicans who actually believe in democracy.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    edited November 2020
    margin under 13k in GA. Biden has won 73% of the latest 1542 votes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Pulpstar said:

I think republicans for Biden was actually a thing - Biden is outpacing House Dems by 2.85 million votes.

I wonder what that number would have been if he'd adopted a different persona in the first debate.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Yokes said:

I believe its a district of Maine.
    For once since Tuesday I believe the BBC are correct. The R2 1900 news explaining that Biden is leading but Trump is ahead in PA, GA, NV, and NC.
    Trump is behind in NV and AZ.

So they are wrong.
    I didn't mention AZ, and NV was my error in my excitable rage. Sorry! My point was, technically they are correct, but it needs a big, big caveat, which they didn't add.
  • Options

Mal557 said:

Google/AP

Biden 264 Trump 214
    Thats because they called AZ so early, even though its still very close 24 hours later, They may be right of course
    They have Biden roughly 69,000 ahead with 88% counted.
    True but the concensus is the votes to come in are much more for Trump so he will definately get much closer though may well fall short, its why no one else has called it, maybe Trump pssd Murdoch off and this is his revenge :)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

58,000 cases implies 3000-5000 new hospitalisations, and ~1000 in ICU? In one day
    25,177 seems to be the days number.

Perhaps though not the basis you wanted.

I think we test a bit more than France, so they're perhaps in 2-4x a worse place than us.

We'll have a spike after tonight anyway. Huddled up and daft Guy-Fawkers.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    edited November 2020

*Everyone* in the centre and centre-left who wants to win elections in Western elections where they face a strong populist challenge needs to be taking notes:

Have we learnt nothing from the last election? You can now never discount the populist. Maybe Macron will see a declining turn out from the left and FN supporters stick with Marie?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Mal557 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm suprised the other networks dont call NV just to try to push Fox into calling the election for Biden , yes
    I'm not sure the Fox/Trump love-in is quite what it was. Jared was on the phone to Rupert on Tuesday night apparently to get him to pull the Arizona call. Obviously they wouldn't. There are a number of stories going around that say he wants to launch a rival network, or join the one he's been praising to the skies recently (whose name I forget), and they may not be that averse to calling against a potential rival.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

ydoethur said:

Lennon said:

Stocky said:

Lennon said:

Stocky said:

365 just gone dems 3/10 GA. paddys still 4/7 if you think 365 are right.

I`ve been hammering BF -63.5 h`cap market. Biden was 1.8 - 2.0 until only half an hour ago. This was, in effect, a play on Biden winning Georgia.
    Am I missing something on this market? Trump currently has 214 ECV's (217 once you include Alaska) - and that's not counting any of NV, AZ, GA, PA, NC. 217+63.5 = 280.5 which is greater than 270 - so Trump should be at 1.1 or tighter on this market surely?
    I have a very confident end point of Biden 306, Trump 232. Difference 74. So Biden -63.5 pays out.
    Thanks - thought that I was missing something obvious - mental block about handicap markets being the difference not vs the post. In which case the - 100.5 market might be worth looking at as a proxy for Biden sneaking NC as well (where I agree with Robert that I think he might) for and end point of 321-217
    if it does end up at 306 i think only 2 states will have been won by the betting outsider before the counting started. NC and GA. and in NC trump was still only about Evs. GA I think Biden was about 11/8. If Biden does pinch NC then 49/50 favs will have won by my reckoning.
    Everyone is saying how close it’s been and how the polls were out again. But with the exception of Florida and possibly Ohio, Biden has won every state he was expected to win, and been competitive in the states he was expected to do well in but fall short.
    The National polls are on average about 3.5% out so at the extreme edge of the MoE. It may not technically be a fail but it ain't great either.
    That's not right because you'd expect the error on a poll average to be much lower than on an individual poll.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

FPT: Only because i was asked.

isam said:
    The head of the ONS has literally said that the nation's top scientists have justified plunging the country into an economically catastrophic lockdown based knowingly on out-of-date and misleading data that doesn't justify the case made. This should quite clearly be a resigning matter, in any sensible interpretation of this. Simply "apologising" shouldn't be enough.

But it won't be because the vast majority of the "sensible" criticism of Government policy comes from the angle of "lockdown hasn't been implemented quickly enough" and a general evidence light feeling that "we should be locking down as much as possible". It's an absolute scandal.

Even if actually the policy is sound, and the Government is doing the right thing, it absolutely should be being done on the basis of the most accurate and up-to-date evidence, and that evidence should be offered as transparently as possible.

Just for clarity: the only issue is with the 4000 per day one? All the other data, including all the models that had deaths per day still higher than the first peak and the NHS overloaded are fine, but we should overlook them to focus only on the 4000 per day one as if this would mean that actually everything would be okay?
    Just asking for clarity, because it feels like deliberately focusing on something which, if it was removed, still wouldn’t change the situation.
    The people in hospital are all faking it and the doctors are lying about the hospitals being full of..... fakers - didn't you get the memo?
    This is fundamentally missing the point. Nobody sensible is denying either that COVID is a serious illness nor that there are drastic actions needed to be taken to combat it. Maybe even to the extent of the action being taken. However when the drastic actions have such far reaching consequences it is massively irresponsible for the scientists to use misleading and out-of-date data to justify it. If the offending study was excluded from the evidence and the same decision was seen to be justifiable then fine. But bear in mind that much of what we know about how the govt's mind was changed was based on arguments that we were exceeding "reasonable worse case scenarios". If performance against worst case scenarios is how policy is being decided, do you not think it is important that scientists should not be able to present "worst case scenarios" to bolster a case that are, in effect, made up?
    Absolutely.

It simply erodes trust in the scientists. If the evidence is there and it is overwhelming, there is no need to use misleading & out of date data.

And again, all the models and data should be publicly available. The data do not belong to any private individual or institution. It is public data, paid for by public money. The same is true of the models, they have been constructed by scientists using public money.

This is just Science 101.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I think we test a bit more than France, so they're perhaps in 2-4x a worse place than us.

That's yesterday's figure.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yep, I made a similar point yesterday.

They're not puppets.
    No they are not puppets, it is not worth it to be too blatant about things, but all the judges being highly political beings is very very relevant when 50/50 judgement calls come up, though thankfully those are rarer than we think.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    PA Sec of State said count was going quickly - but so far today they have only announced approx 50k votes.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    DougSeal said:

Mal557 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not sure the Fox/Trump love-in is quite what it was. Jared was on the phone to Rupert on Tuesday night apparently to get him to pull the Arizona call. Obviously they wouldn't. There are a number of stories going around that say he wants to launch a rival network, or join the one he's been praising to the skies recently (whose name I forget), and they may not be that averse to calling against a potential rival.
    OANN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

That's yesterday's figure.
    Apologies.
  • Options

Have we learnt nothing from the last election? You can now never discount the populist. Maybe Macron will see a declining turn out from the left and FN supporters stick with Marie?
    If he gets to the last 2, and Le Pen is the other, it would still take a pretty big change in French society for her to then win out though, so he's surely safe?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,461
    edited November 2020
    That court case posted earlier -- youtu.be/ELnXCQcjgWQ?t=4645s

The judge keeps disappearing. Is that because the software has trouble distinguishing her skin colour from the background? #UnintendedRacism
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Omnium said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It's pretty shit, wherever you look, across Europe now. From Russia to Portugal
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited November 2020
    DougSeal said:

Mal557 said:

ydoethur said:

Plus Rupert Murdoch's net worth is $17.4 billion, Trump's net worth is only $2.4 billion, to Murdoch therefore Trump is a relative peasant even if he managed to briefly be POTUS
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    LadyG said:

Omnium said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It's pretty shit, wherever you look, across Europe now. From Russia to Portugal
    How's Putin's vaccine working, I wonder?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

It's Thursday night. We still don't have a winner. Mr Ed was nearer the mark than all those here who were only arguing over how big Biden's margin would - bigly or yuge...

So I cut him some slack.

(I of course called the Biden win at one minute past midnight, Wednesday morning. But I expressed no opinion as to how tight it would be.)
    No.

He predicted a Trump victory, as did I.

We were wrong.

The ones predicting a Biden victory were right on the big call, even if several posters under- or overstated the margin.

It really is that simple.
  • Options
    369,364 votes left to count in PA (plus a few more) from the PA Dem Senator mapping this. So a nice detailed figure to work from.
  • Options
    Just saw the amusing video of Nigel on the previous thread. This isn't just a winding-up-the-liberals thing - the man is genuinely, dreamily and uncompromisingly in love with Donald Trump. It's almost homoerotic.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But the bar for overturning something - especially in an election - has to be high. And Bush was leading.
    Kavanaugh recently said that states invite "chaos and suspicions of impropriety" if "thousands of absentee ballots flow in after election day and potentially flip the results of an election."

Well thats just happened, how will he respond if given the opportunity? I hope I am being overly cynical rather than you being overly naive here.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    CatMan said:

DougSeal said:

Mal557 said:

ydoethur said:

OANN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network
    That's the fella! Thanks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    kle4 said:

If he gets to the last 2, and Le Pen is the other, it would still take a pretty big change in French society for her to then win out though, so he's surely safe?
    Yes, in 2017 most Les Republicains voters voted for Fillon in round 1 but Macron in round 2, it would take mass terrorism on a weekly basis most likely for them to consider voting for Le Pen
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

isam said:
    The head of the ONS has literally said that the nation's top scientists have justified plunging the country into an economically catastrophic lockdown based knowingly on out-of-date and misleading data that doesn't justify the case made. This should quite clearly be a resigning matter, in any sensible interpretation of this. Simply "apologising" shouldn't be enough.

But it won't be because the vast majority of the "sensible" criticism of Government policy comes from the angle of "lockdown hasn't been implemented quickly enough" and a general evidence light feeling that "we should be locking down as much as possible". It's an absolute scandal.

Even if actually the policy is sound, and the Government is doing the right thing, it absolutely should be being done on the basis of the most accurate and up-to-date evidence, and that evidence should be offered as transparently as possible.

Just for clarity: the only issue is with the 4000 per day one? All the other data, including all the models that had deaths per day still higher than the first peak and the NHS overloaded are fine, but we should overlook them to focus only on the 4000 per day one as if this would mean that actually everything would be okay?
    Just asking for clarity, because it feels like deliberately focusing on something which, if it was removed, still wouldn’t change the situation.
    The people in hospital are all faking it and the doctors are lying about the hospitals being full of..... fakers - didn't you get the memo?
    This is fundamentally missing the point. Nobody sensible is denying either that COVID is a serious illness nor that there are drastic actions needed to be taken to combat it. Maybe even to the extent of the action being taken. However when the drastic actions have such far reaching consequences it is massively irresponsible for the scientists to use misleading and out-of-date data to justify it. If the offending study was excluded from the evidence and the same decision was seen to be justifiable then fine. But bear in mind that much of what we know about how the govt's mind was changed was based on arguments that we were exceeding "reasonable worse case scenarios". If performance against worst case scenarios is how policy is being decided, do you not think it is important that scientists should not be able to present "worst case scenarios" to bolster a case that are, in effect, made up?
    Absolutely.

It simply erodes trust in the scientists. If the evidence is there and it is overwhelming, there is no need to use misleading & out of date data.

And again, all the models and data should be publicly available. The data do not belong to any private individual or institution. It is public data, paid for by public money. The same is true of the models, they have been constructed by scientists using public money.

There, I agree.
    The indisputable facts were easily strong enough on their own.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    PA senator confident that the final PA result will be Biden by around 100,000, but that today’s figure won’t reach that.
  • Options
    PA, NV, AZ, GE, NC, somebody please, anybody, post some results!
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

369,364 votes left to count in PA (plus a few more) from the PA Dem Senator mapping this. So a nice detailed figure to work from.

Link?
  • Options

Yes, why haven’t we had any results. I’ve watch a whole football match since PA last updated.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Kavanaugh recently said that states invite "chaos and suspicions of impropriety" if "thousands of absentee ballots flow in after election day and potentially flip the results of an election."

Well thats just happened, how will he respond if given the opportunity? I hope I am being overly cynical rather than you being overly naive here.
    ?

Flowed in after election day?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

They haven't "flown in" - ie arrived - after election day.

They are just being counted after election day.

Note: PA is keeping any ballots received after election day separate - and there are only a very small number - and none have been counted so far.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Absolutely.

There, I agree.
    Isn't the Ferguson model downloadable from github, or is this something else?
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

?

Yes in some US states votes count if posted before election day but are received after. Trump's team want to kick those out regardless of the rules in place for the election.
  • Options

Mal557 said:

Link?
    CNN just did an interview with Senator Bob Casey, he was very specific on that number, CNN even wrote it on their map board :)
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    kle4 said:

I know I'm not predicting it however.... The left can only hold their noses and vote for Macron so many times, especially when he is rubbing his economic reforms into them. And if you're the 34% who supported Le Penn last time why not again? The worst that happens is you get a nationalistically charged Macron.

And, dare I be the first to say it SHY LE PENN VOTERS!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Sunil, please don’t hack other people’s accounts.
  • Options

Yes, why haven’t we had any results. I’ve watch a whole football match since PA last updated.
    PA has reported about 3 very small batches in the last hour.

Lead now 108,697
  • Options

Mal557 said:

Link?
    He made clear this didn’t include provisional votes, of which they have a good number, nor postal votes arriving today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Bit harsh.

Sunil's much better than that.
  • Options

Mal557 said:

Link?
    CNN have it written, in felt pen, on their map.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mal557 said:

Link?
    He made clear this didn’t include provisional votes, of which they have a good number, nor postal votes arriving today or tomorrow.
    He did but since he didnt give any numbers of those I posted the number he quoted
  • Options

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

?

Yes in some US states votes count if posted before election day but are received after. Trump's team want to kick those out regardless of the rules in place for the election.
    Doesn't seem sustainable - even if it is a dumb rule, for sake of argument, you cannot change the rules part way through.
  • Options

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

?

No - I'm asking whether you are really claiming that the results of elections have been flipped by ballots that have flowed in _after_ election day.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

kle4 said:

I know I'm not predicting it however.... The left can only hold their noses and vote for Macron so many times, especially when he is rubbing his economic reforms into them. And if you're the 34% who supported Le Penn last time why not again? The worst that happens is you get a nationalistically charged Macron.

I think there is a small risk that Le Pen is outflanked. She's dumped leaving the Euro, she's trying to get moderate Muslims (with French values) inside her tent. Her policy position now looks less like Farage and more like Sunak.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

?

Doesn't seem sustainable - even if it is a dumb rule, for sake of argument, you cannot change the rules part way through.
    The Supreme Court can - it shouldnt, but it can.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

PA has reported about 3 very small batches in the last hour.

Lead now 108,697
    Ah, cheers!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

?

The Supreme Court can - it shouldnt, but it can.
    You're right. What I meant was, I cannot think of how they could justify changing the rules part way through, even if the rule was bad. But judges can get very creative when they want.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

So I cut him some slack.

He's been pushing conspiracy theories, misunderstanding the entire mathematical field of statistical sampling and until recently resolutely trying to mislead people about the course of the Pennsylvania count in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary.

And he called the election wrong.

I would also question his levels of politeness.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The 2000 SCOTUS decision was lamentable, but also could be justified. Gore as I recall also fell on his sword to divert a constructional crisis.

Illigitimately overturning votes in MI and PA, subsequently sanctioned by SCOTUS would create a constitutional crisis. Add to that the disenfranchisement of half the electorate on a lie and I would expect to see civil unrest of Louis XIV proportions.
  • Options
    Georgia SoS press conf in ten mins
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

?

No - I'm asking whether you are really claiming that the results of elections have been flipped by ballots that have flowed in _after_ election day.
    Ok apologies, good point, that was incorrect. The Kavanaugh quote still shows his mindset and partisanship that are relevant to a future judgment on the voting process regardless.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Ooooh. Result?
  • Options

A nice easy win for Spurs.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    Seriously, how long does it take to count 11,300 votes?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I think there is a small risk that Le Pen is outflanked. She's dumped leaving the Euro, she's trying to get moderate Muslims (with French values) inside her tent. Her policy position now looks less like Farage and more like Sunak.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pim_Fortuyn
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Lawsuit incoming, @ydoethur :lol:

(only kidding!)
  • Options
    I think there may be confusion in PA.

They say 370,000 to be counted but I suspect there are more still to be reported - ie there is a gap between counting and then being tabulated and making it to the website.

In GA literally zero has been reported in the last couple of hours. But we know they are counting. So delay seems to be in the tabulating and reporting.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202

ydoethur said:

Lennon said:

Stocky said:

Lennon said:

Stocky said:

365 just gone dems 3/10 GA. paddys still 4/7 if you think 365 are right.

I`ve been hammering BF -63.5 h`cap market. Biden was 1.8 - 2.0 until only half an hour ago. This was, in effect, a play on Biden winning Georgia.
    Am I missing something on this market? Trump currently has 214 ECV's (217 once you include Alaska) - and that's not counting any of NV, AZ, GA, PA, NC. 217+63.5 = 280.5 which is greater than 270 - so Trump should be at 1.1 or tighter on this market surely?
    I have a very confident end point of Biden 306, Trump 232. Difference 74. So Biden -63.5 pays out.
    Thanks - thought that I was missing something obvious - mental block about handicap markets being the difference not vs the post. In which case the - 100.5 market might be worth looking at as a proxy for Biden sneaking NC as well (where I agree with Robert that I think he might) for and end point of 321-217
    if it does end up at 306 i think only 2 states will have been won by the betting outsider before the counting started. NC and GA. and in NC trump was still only about Evs. GA I think Biden was about 11/8. If Biden does pinch NC then 49/50 favs will have won by my reckoning.
    Everyone is saying how close it’s been and how the polls were out again. But with the exception of Florida and possibly Ohio, Biden has won every state he was expected to win, and been competitive in the states he was expected to do well in but fall short.
    The National polls are on average about 3.5% out so at the extreme edge of the MoE. It may not technically be a fail but it ain't great either.
    I could end up between 4 & 5%
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ooooh. Result?
    I wish. We'll probably be told the counter (there can surely be only one given the time it's taken) has broken their thumb.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:
    Same, and I'm normally not a fan.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited November 2020

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ooooh. Result?
    I wish. We'll probably be told the counter (there can surely be only one given the time it's taken) has broken their thumb.
    Na, they just lost count and had to start over.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    Erie voted 49/47 Trump/Clinton in 2016
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ooooh. Result?
    Doubt it.

They'll probably say they've counted another 5,000 votes and found another 6,000 so there's 121,000 still to count... and they are knocking off until Monday now (Georgia Election Counting Rest Day).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Absolutely.

There, I agree.
    Isn't the Ferguson model downloadable from github, or is this something else?
    The Ferguson model is.

But, the PHE/Cambridge model is not available (as far as I am aware).

Also, to use the model to make a prediction, you will need the input data.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

A nice easy win for Spurs.
    They looked really well put together again. Options all over the squad.
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    The mail ballot machines can do 750 ballots an hour I have read. So depending on the number of machines... A really long time.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    The only way Trump gets to 270 is if he loses 3 stone.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The 2000 SCOTUS decision was lamentable, but also could be justified. Gore as I recall also fell on his sword to divert a constructional crisis.

Illigitimately overturning votes in MI and PA, subsequently sanctioned by SCOTUS would create a constitutional crisis. Add to that the disenfranchisement of half the electorate on a lie and I would expect to see civil unrest of Louis XIV proportions.
    Louis XIV reigned for 72 years: I'm not sure he was too worried by any civil unrest.
    Louis XVI on the other hand...
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Just pointing this out:

The way people get on about Trump as if he is an evil genius who can somehow turn everything around by nefarious means. Way too much credit. He is a man and a weak one at that.

• Options
    Alistair said:

DougSeal said:
    The mail ballot machines can do 750 ballots an hour I have read. So depending on the number of machines... A really long time.
    A person can go much faster and people are cheap and temporary to hire.

America has a lot to learn from us about conducting elections.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Kavanaugh is correct there.

Are there any other western countries which take weeks to fully count elections ?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Trump just had his best batch in PA:

Biden 1,509
    Trump 1,404
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Louis XVI?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ooooh. Result?
    Or someone interrupted them just as they were about to finish and they had to start again.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Trump just had his best batch in PA:t

Biden 1,509
    Trump 1,404

Yikes
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Trump just had his best batch in PA:

Biden 1,509
    Trump 1,404

Where are you getting the updates? Would love to obsessively follow.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    In the UK we counted 33.5 million votes in 9 hours, so counting 160 million votes should take 43 hours using that metric.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

58k tested cases in France translates to around 200-230k cases in real terms with around 40% symptomatic. France is heading into the 1k deaths per day range in case terms. I do wonder why they didn't implement a tier system when they were at the level of ~10k real cases like we did.
    Poland looks worrying on the data and also on anecdotes I've heard:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1324385045738565640

Switzerland is also in a bad place and who would have expected that.
This discussion has been closed.