Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020 – With the counts continuing in several key states Biden is not yet claiming victory – politi

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Amusing stuff. I cannot say I entirely like some of these state rules where votes can come in days after so long as posted on the day etc, but if the rules say you can do that, and apparently they do, then they are live votes, end of.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why is it taking so long to count these ballots?

It seems every time Trump looks like he might have a chance there is a massive delay for no reason then a big dump of Biden votes.

Because the GOP controlled PA legislature kept up daft rules like secrecy envelopes, and no vote being able to be tabulated before the day starts.
    Trump also discouraged his supporters from using VBM. And he's absolubtely despised in Philadelphia in particular.
    It's not just that it is slow, it is a slow but steady speed and then suddenly stops completely for a few hours.

Georgia hasn't changed for hours now.
    What time is it in Georgia?
  • Options

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:
    When did 'Conservatives' get re-branded to 'Rishi Sunak'? Don't get me wrong, it has a certain ring to it :smile:
    Full name: ‘The Rishi Sunak and Unionist Party’.
    RSUP?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

I can see recounts/disputes galore in GA but only if it was the deciding state.

Biden might only take it by hundreds.

Another massive defeat for the identity left.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:
    When did 'Conservatives' get re-branded to 'Rishi Sunak'? Don't get me wrong, it has a certain ring to it :smile:
    Full name: ‘The Rishi Sunak and Unionist Party’.
    Almost the same initials as Ruth Davidson, too.
  • Options
    State of play - CNN

NV 7,647 Biden
    Georgia 18,586 Trump
    AZ 68,390 Biden
    NC 76,737 Trump
    Penn 135,702 Trump
  • Options
    RobC said:

Surely once we blow the current mist away Biden will have won this fairly comfortably.

EC? Quite possibly. Popular vote? Never in doubt. But things can be comfortable and close at the same time, given results like Wisconsin's.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It seems every time Trump looks like he might have a chance there is a massive delay for no reason then a big dump of Biden votes.

Because the GOP controlled PA legislature kept up daft rules like secrecy envelopes, and no vote being able to be tabulated before the day starts.
    Trump also discouraged his supporters from using VBM. And he's absolubtely despised in Philadelphia in particular.
    It's not just that it is slow, it is a slow but steady speed and then suddenly stops completely for a few hours.

Its not stopped they're just not reporting it yet. If you put an American news channel on they keep showing on camera the counts going on its just the numbers aren't being reported one by one as they go.

Its 8am over there, they've said in most places the next updates should be expected after 9am.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

18k separation in Georgia.

About to be updated according to CNN
    i think the ~10k votes from fulton county due to be added in.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Wasn’t Sands interned rather than a convicted terrorist.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    John King returns - after a 14 hour day yesterday.

I think his number 2 called Phil who did the 10 hour overnight / morning shift is a very capable stand-in.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    kle4 said:

I know a three word phrase is the tradition, but surely someone on his staff could at least tell him to demand the illegal counts be stopped, or words to that effect, so he could pretend he only wants to stop illegitimate votes. Which is presumably the legal arguments his lawyers will try, but his tantrums rather give the game away that its just about stopping the counts themselves, not that they should surprise anyone.
    I think other than his family and perhaps sometimes Giuliani when he needs a hatchet job, Trump probably doesn't really listen to anyone much
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

18k separation in Georgia.

About to be updated according to CNN
    Fulton County to report in next 5 mins about 10k at stake suspect 18k could be down to circa 11k
  • Options
    RobC said:

Surely once we blow the current mist away Biden will have won this fairly comfortably.

God I hope so.
  • Options
    Philly going 79 - 21 to Biden say CNN
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    I disagree with David Herdson.

I suspect if Trump loses, he loses all his power and lifeforce.

It's going to interesting to watch.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

kle4 said:

Looking at that maybe I'm not religious simply because I find overt displays of any kind too embarrassing to get into. I get awkward even with crowd chanting.
    It is complete cringe for at least 90% of us I would guess + the speaking in tongues is more a sign of mental illness. My very mainstream congregation would probably call the police if she turned up our way on any given Sunday.
    It's be a long time since I was at a church event, but I recall them being more sedate. My very devout relatives, who are at their CoE church 3-4 times a week for various matters, went to a concert in London once which was one of those high energy american style religious events, and they couldn't sit through it, as it just was not their cup of tea, religious event wise.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    MikeL said:

I think his number 2 called Phil who did the 10 hour overnight / morning shift is a very capable stand-in.

https://twitter.com/seanjonesqc/status/1324337443114463236
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,238
    kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

What are people thinking about next May's elections? Will they happen?

The sensible, pragmatic decision would be to decide now to switch them to all-postal so that there's plenty of time to plan printing, posting and public information.

I suspect that would be seen as too negative on the virus, so the risk is that we're faced with last-minute decisions.
    Time to introduce secure on-line voting.
    Secure online voting is not attainable. Certainly not by May, and possibly not ever. The only reliable, secure methods of voting involve paper and pencil.
    Quite. Online voting is a chimera - paper counts do not cause problems or delays, if done right and properly resourced, nor would the level of health risk leading to a switch to online voting be a proportionate response when, as with many acticities, we can take other steps.
    Well, the experience of Estonia suggests that online voting can be at least as secure as banking, and stealing money is a bigger game than stealing votes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Macron is talking about reforming Schengen to strengthen internal border controls.

https://twitter.com/emmanuelmacron/status/1324365235331960833?s=21
  • Options

He doesn't have to "go" until January.

Meanwhile Donald Fucking Trump can sit in the Whitehouse denying, denying....
    He's going to use a knife to carve his name into the desk in the Oval Office, isn't he?
  • Options
    120K outstanding in Philly
  • Options
    last few votes added in GA went 126 trump 130 biden
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He's going to use a knife to carve his name into the desk in the Oval Office, isn't he?
    :lol:
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    I should be working, but I`m hooked on the CNN coverage - their presenters are superb.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    edited November 2020
    Cicero said:

kle4 said:

Looking at that maybe I'm not religious simply because I find overt displays of any kind too embarrassing to get into. I get awkward even with crowd chanting.
    It is complete cringe for at least 90% of us I would guess + the speaking in tongues is more a sign of mental illness. My very mainstream congregation would probably call the police if she turned up our way on any given Sunday.
    At Pentecost, the followers of Jesus found themselves able to speak in languages that they did not know, but others could understand.

I have never met anyone able to understand or translate Charismatic "speaking in tongues". It is just gibberish, but as part of an ecstatic spiritual experience.
  • Options
    Trump is up...STOP THE COUNT...
  • Options

RobC said:

Its funny how people were saying for ages "don't overreact to early votes since the on the day GOP votes will be counted first in the key states" only for everyone to lose their mind at first when that happened!

Its turning out as a pretty solid and comfortable Biden victory once all the votes are counted.
    The genuinely better than expected Trump performance in some of the earlier key states caused understandable doubt about other assumptions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Amusing stuff. I cannot say I entirely like some of these state rules where votes can come in days after so long as posted on the day etc, but if the rules say you can do that, and apparently they do, then they are live votes, end of.
    I’ve been thinking the same. It seems mad to me that votes can be accepted after Election day. You just need to tell people to get them in on time. BUT if those are the rules they are the rules. You abide by them until you change them.
  • Options
    Philly still 120k to count mainly Mail in (Wont finish today will be tomorrow)
    Bucks County 28k left all mail in will finish theirs today
    300k elsewhere in PA
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

State of play - CNN

NV 7,647 Biden
    Georgia 18,586 Trump
    AZ 68,390 Biden
    NC 76,737 Trump
    Penn 135,702 Trump

We won't know North Carolina for a week.
  • Options
    Massive mail-in in Penn.

Down to around 700K left to count.

CNN
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

On the allegation about Biden's votes suddenly jumping by thousands of votes when Trump's doesn't: unclear if this is right, but even if it is, I don't think it's suspicious. Surely the normal thing to do in a manual count would be to catalogue the votes for a given candidate in chunks of (say) 1000, then put ten of those together in chunks of ten thousand, and periodically add batches of those ten-thousand chunks to your overall count.

If true then that explains it, but is there any evidence that this happened? I didn't see any similar jumps for Trump in any state or for Biden in non-marginals.
    Look, I actually don't really care whether Trump wins or not, he's not my President and I'm up if it turns out the way it looks as though it is.

But what really gets me is the hypocrisy of those on here who say the likes of @DAlexander is pedalling conspiracy theories etc etc but, if a 200% turnout happened in a heavily Republican area that swung a state election, would be screaming at the top of their voices about the election is rigged, it's a travesty etc etc. We would be getting detailed explanations about how democracy is in danger etc etc.

Same point @isam made re people criticising Trump for dragging this through the courts when the Democrats have been using the impeachment process to remove an elected President because they didn't like him. It was as bad as the sh1t with Bill Clinton. Jesus, you even had protestors with votive candles to Robert Mueller.

Just admit it, you want him out and any means will do. Great if it is done democratically but you would be quite happy to accept fraud involved if it got the outcome you wanted.
  • Options

Meanwhile, the Chancellor suddenly deciding to hose another £8bn in the general direction of the problem barely registers...

Well it wouldn't, given how much has already been hosed. If we were going to be more fiscally careful in response we would have done that months ago, it barely makes a difference now, the grandchildren will still be paying for it regardless.
  • Options

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1324368202139357186?s=21
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    nichomar said:

Internment ended in the Seventies, Sands died in the Eighties.
  • Options
    Worth noting that media website numbers are not official and not directly linked to official data as there are various small differences.

ie CNN, Fox, Decision Desk all have their own people inputting results to their websites.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MikeL said:

https://twitter.com/seanjonesqc/status/1324337443114463236
    King is an absolute legend.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

The sensible, pragmatic decision would be to decide now to switch them to all-postal so that there's plenty of time to plan printing, posting and public information.

I suspect that would be seen as too negative on the virus, so the risk is that we're faced with last-minute decisions.
    Secure online voting is not attainable. Certainly not by May, and possibly not ever. The only reliable, secure methods of voting involve paper and pencil.
    Quite. Online voting is a chimera - paper counts do not cause problems or delays, if done right and properly resourced, nor would the level of health risk leading to a switch to online voting be a proportionate response when, as with many acticities, we can take other steps.
    Well, the experience of Estonia suggests that online voting can be at least as secure as banking, and stealing money is a bigger game than stealing votes.
    It's a solution looking for a problem.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    Cicero said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

Opposing states want to influence your policy whereas they might not want your money.
  • Options

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

He really does hate the military.
  • Options

120K outstanding in Philly

90K / 30K in Philly brings margin down to 76k
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,238

Cicero said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

Opposing states want to influence your policy whereas they might not want your money.
    Estonia has a very hostile state opposing it, and is quite comfortable about taking the risk.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    CNN girl at the scene in Philly says 700,000 mail-in ballots to come in PA.
  • Options

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

Not handling it too well, is he? Will he even attend Biden’s inauguration?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261
    kle4 said:

I guess it is a bit of insurance against having a president who deliberately tries to hobble the postal service so votes don't arrive on time.

Unfortunately Republicans are going to keep control of many key state legislatures despite losing the votes. Often thanks to blatant gerrymandering. That means they can keep on doing it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

MrEd said:

The reason there is a delay is because the GOP legislators in these states refused to permit the early counting of these votes.
    Early counting? The election finished 2 days ago.

I'm talking about delays since the voting has finished.

Meanwhile 7 counties in Milwaukee have more votes than registered voters, 2 over 200%.

https://mkecitywire.com/stories/564495243-analysis-seven-milwaukee-wards-report-more-2020-presidential-votes-than-registered-voters-biden-nets-146k-votes-in-city

No wonder they managed to get 90% turnout for the whole state.
    All legitimate @DAlexander it's for the right candidate
    And the ward numbers with the highest % are all next to each other 269, 272, 273, 274, 277.

But that's just a coincidence.
    Quite remarkable that wards right next to each other should have similar demographics and voting patterns.
  • Options

I disagree with David Herdson.

I suspect if Trump loses, he loses all his power and lifeforce.

It's going to interesting to watch.

Yes, I think you are right and that (very unusually) David is wrong.
  • Options
    Its over in Georgia SOS office now says over 61k still left in GA

Biden has to be better than the 1.5 available on BF
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261
    "The Georgia secretary of state keeps revising the estimate of the number of absentee ballots remaining: The latest word is 61,367. That means Biden has to win at least 65 percent of them in order to take the lead."
    - 538 blog
  • Options
    GA votes to come 61,000, not 51,000 as previously thought
  • Options
    It was only after Florida 2000 I realised just how bizarre the American voting system is.

Can you imagine telling

i) Staff at polling stations in the UK that voters who have registered on election day can still vote

ii) a returning officer in the UK, while we'll do the count on Thursday night but we'll be waiting up to ten days for the postals to come in.
  • Options
    NATHANIEL RAKICH
    NOV. 5, 10:15 AM
    The Georgia secretary of state keeps revising the estimate of the number of absentee ballots remaining: The latest word is 61,367. That means Biden has to win at least 65 percent of them in order to take the lead.
  • Options
    Trump

• Options

Trump

Still a lay.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    kle4 said:

Cicero said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

It's a solution looking for a problem.
    A single computerised and online voting system for a whole country is a motive with a universal adaptor on it.
  • Options
    GA SoS breaking: 61,367 ballots remaining.

It could well flip.

It really could.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

Well he might be able to content himself with the likelihood that the crowd will be much smaller than his.
  • Options
    F1: plans for a night race in Saudi Arabia next year.

Unfortunately, the plans for a North Korean race have fallen through, so there's only one event at a country with concentration camps (assuming Russia doesn't still have the Chechen one).

Still, thank goodness the sport's taken a stand for human rights.
  • Options

She is wrong that is the figure from live site earlier

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324368202139357186
  • Options

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

See, this is what I'm talking about to those bitching about people being skeptical of fraud claims. Trump is literally ignoring that in some states apparently you are allowed, and supposed, to count such votes. When he's doing stuff like that it makes other claims about the process look silly. He's making it harder for serious claims to get attention.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

She is wrong that is the figure from live site earlier

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324368202139357186
    You just replied with the same tweet. :D
  • Options

Massive mail-in in Penn.

CNN

I was going to say he's lost the plot but then that happened a long time ago. He really is a petulant child who just has aged badly.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

Because the counting machines are working at capacity and people stop for the night?

I mean what is your crazy angle here?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    kle4 said:

See, this is what I'm talking about to those bitching about people being skeptical of fraud claims. Trump is literally ignoring that in some states apparently you are allowed, and supposed, to count such votes. When he's doing stuff like that it makes other claims about the process look silly. He's making it harder for serious claims to get attention.

https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1324368816017756161
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MrEd said:

On the allegation about Biden's votes suddenly jumping by thousands of votes when Trump's doesn't: unclear if this is right, but even if it is, I don't think it's suspicious. Surely the normal thing to do in a manual count would be to catalogue the votes for a given candidate in chunks of (say) 1000, then put ten of those together in chunks of ten thousand, and periodically add batches of those ten-thousand chunks to your overall count.

If true then that explains it, but is there any evidence that this happened? I didn't see any similar jumps for Trump in any state or for Biden in non-marginals.
    Look, I actually don't really care whether Trump wins or not, he's not my President and I'm up if it turns out the way it looks as though it is.

But what really gets me is the hypocrisy of those on here who say the likes of @DAlexander is pedalling conspiracy theories etc etc but, if a 200% turnout happened in a heavily Republican area that swung a state election, would be screaming at the top of their voices about the election is rigged, it's a travesty etc etc. We would be getting detailed explanations about how democracy is in danger etc etc.

Same point @isam made re people criticising Trump for dragging this through the courts when the Democrats have been using the impeachment process to remove an elected President because they didn't like him. It was as bad as the sh1t with Bill Clinton. Jesus, you even had protestors with votive candles to Robert Mueller.

Just admit it, you want him out and any means will do. Great if it is done democratically but you would be quite happy to accept fraud involved if it got the outcome you wanted.
    Leaving aside that impeachment trial is not the same as a court The Democrats impeached Trump due to conclusive evidence that he had abused his office to attempt to influence the election. Had the "jury" contained 12 normal people rather than 100 partisan senators, he'd have been convicted
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Biden requires a 63-37 split on remaining PA ballots if there are 540000 left
  • Options
    MrEd said:

But the same hypocrisy runs both ways too.

There's been no criticism from the same people who are so exercised over this, than over the attempts to prevent mailed ballots being delivered, to the extent that a Republican appointed Judge is demanding to know why his order to the USPS to stop sitting on ballots was disregarded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/11/03/election-ballot-delays-usps/?outputType=amp

That's 7% of all ballots in 15 states.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

It’s like election officials (of all parties) are just trolling Trump. Offering low numbers of outstanding ballots to give him a chance and then just revising them upwards every couple of hours.
  • Options
    No wonder there is so much misinformation on PA votes, CNN reporter just told her news feed, 'I just checked and there seem to be 'just under a million mail in votes' not counted,,,,wtf? Then 2 minutes later said yes all round about 700,000 in total,,,,hopeless
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

But the same hypocrisy runs both ways too.

There's been no criticism from the same people who are so exercised over this, than over the attempts to prevent mailed ballots being delivered, to the extent that a Republican appointed Judge is demanding to know why his order to the USPS to stop sitting on ballots was disregarded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/11/03/election-ballot-delays-usps/?outputType=amp

That's 7% of all ballots in 15 states.
    And, by the way, that's definitely missing ballots, rather than theoretically fraudulent ballots.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Foxy said:

Cicero said:

kle4 said:

At Pentecost, the followers of Jesus found themselves able to speak in languages that they did not know, but others could understand.

I have never met anyone able to understand or translate Charismatic "speaking in tongues". It is just gibberish, but as part of an ecstatic spiritual experience.
    I'm trying to imagine what the Wee Free would make of that performance. For some reason it involves....

- Faces grim as granite.
    - Fire
  • Options
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

I guess it is a bit of insurance against having a president who deliberately tries to hobble the postal service so votes don't arrive on time.

Unfortunately Republicans are going to keep control of many key state legislatures despite losing the votes. Often thanks to blatant gerrymandering. That means they can keep on doing it.
    It seems werid that they can set rules for federal elections, not merely state ones.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

Does anyone believe that Trump's legal cases will make any difference to the overall outcome? Personally, my vague impression of US courts is that, though politicised, they generally act with a fair degree of integrity.

Would it be fair to think that a lot of Trump's complaints will be thrown out, often by Republican county and state courts, or by the Supreme court on appeal, or, where there are remedies, that these will not be sufficient to turn the outcome, especially if PA and GA fall Biden.

There is no chance of the overall election outcome being altered in the courts and he and his people - Guiliani etc - know this. Their aim is to create a popular narrative with his base that their hero didn't really lose. He won - like he always does, being a Winner - but was then cheated out of it by the evil and devious Swamp. Trump needs this narrative to hold in order to protect and burnish his brand post-presidency.
    Thank god those disaffected voters aren’t all armed and dangerous. Oh, wait....
    I know. Trump is on one level a clown - ha ha - but he is also a very corrupt and dangerous individual. A wannabe fascist with millions of the "shoeless ones" behind him, many of them possessing more guns than brains. It is so reprehensible what he is doing now, ascribing his clear defeat at the polls to fraud. A democracy can't function if people don't trust the electoral process.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Getting angrier and playing victim doesn't make something more convincing. The issue is whether when raising 'maybe it's fraud' claims, is there evidence to support it or is it just shit stirring? That business with the vertical line yesterday did not speak well for those who claimed to be genuinely worried not shit stirring.

That you have leaped to assuming anyone wanting to wait for credible evidence of rigging to emerge doesn't care about vote rigging speaks volumes. You're creating a strawman to oppose.

If you would like confirmation, I hope every ineligible vote that exists is cast out, even if it meant Trump were to win. I care far more about proper electoral practice than the outcome.
    I think you have missed the point @kle4 and I think you know what I am talking about. The ones who leap on @DAlexander re his question re the voter rolls are the same ones who will post any old sh1t from Twitter if it supports their theories.

• Options
    alex_ said:

It’s like election officials (of all parties) are just trolling Trump. Offering low numbers of outstanding ballots to give him a chance and then just revising them upwards every couple of hours.
    Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said that as of 9:15 a.m. today there are approximately 61,367 ballots still outstanding. Channel 2′s Justin Gray received the following breakdown:

Bryan: 3,027
    Burke: 494
    Chatham: 17,157
    Clayton: 7,408
    Cobb: 700
    Floyd: 682
    Forsyth: 4,713
    Fulton: 11,200
    Gwinnett: 7,338
    Harris: 3,641
    Laurens: 1,797
    Putnam: 1,552
    Sumter: 1,202
    Taylor: 456
    Totals: 61,367
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Sands was arrested during a gun battle in 1976 after the IRA bombing of a furniture factory in a residential area and sentenced to 14 years for possessing weapons. He was serving the sentence for the crime when he kindly agreed to kill himself.
  • Options
    The other thing I've noticed about American elections is that the counts are very partisan in a ways ours are not.

I've been to so many counts, and there's a sense of bonhomie and relief that it is over, and there's nothing more you can do.

The only bits of nastiness/kerfuffle was back in 2008/09 when the BNP kicked off and didn't want to share a stage with the winning (non white) candidates and a few years ago the Kipper delaying the result because their egos wanted more votes and they were contesting every rejected ballot papers, papers no returning officer in the country would acept.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    I know we're all focused on Georgia but..

NEW @Survation Poll - Scottish Independence Referendum

“Should Scotland be an independent country?”

Yes 54% (+1)
    No 46% (-1)

1,071 respondents, residents of Scotland, aged 16+, fieldwork 28 Oct - 4 Nov 2020. Changes w/ 2-7 Sep 2020

https://t.co/v5RC9ljbsD https://t.co/7pKhuRL4zf

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

“Our Constitution does not secure the peaceful transition of power, but rather presupposes it,” says Amherst law professor Lawrence Douglas.
    What I meant was that Trump is President until January. come what may.

So he can have 2 months of tantrums etc.
  • Options
    So Philly officials (who i trust) say there are 120K votes left to be counted there. so if those go (worst case) 3 to 1 to Biden thats +60K off the lead. Still dont beleive there are nearly 600K (The 700k figure quoted less 120 in Philly) uncounted mail votes elsewhere but who knows,
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2020

Yes 54% (+1)
    No 46% (-1)

1,071 respondents, residents of Scotland, aged 16+, fieldwork 28 Oct - 4 Nov 2020. Changes w/ 2-7 Sep 2020

Have all these recent “yes” polls been 16+? Because I doubt that will be the franchise.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    Flanner said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Sands was arrested during a gun battle in 1976 after the IRA bombing of a furniture factory in a residential area and sentenced to 14 years for possessing weapons. He was serving the sentence for the crime when he kindly agreed to kill himself.
    He really was performing a public service.
  • Options
    kamski said:

"The Georgia secretary of state keeps revising the estimate of the number of absentee ballots remaining: The latest word is 61,367. That means Biden has to win at least 65 percent of them in order to take the lead."
    - 538 blog

• Options
    Ralston sounding more bearish on holding NV on Twitter.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Stocky said:

I should be working, but I`m hooked on the CNN coverage - their presenters are superb.

John King is a legend. I can listen to him all night. Which is just as well because I did on Tuesday.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Getting angrier and playing victim doesn't make something more convincing. The issue is whether when raising 'maybe it's fraud' claims, is there evidence to support it or is it just shit stirring? That business with the vertical line yesterday did not speak well for those who claimed to be genuinely worried not shit stirring.

That you have leaped to assuming anyone wanting to wait for credible evidence of rigging to emerge doesn't care about vote rigging speaks volumes. You're creating a strawman to oppose.

If you would like confirmation, I hope every ineligible vote that exists is cast out, even if it meant Trump were to win. I care far more about proper electoral practice than the outcome.
    I think you have missed the point @kle4 and I think you know what I am talking about. The ones who leap on @DAlexander re his question re the voter rolls are the same ones who will post any old sh1t from Twitter if it supports their theories.

Some people will indeed post any partisan crap, left and right, but I don't think I've missed the point because you suggested those criticising the conspiracy theories would be happy to accept fraud, and even if they post partisan crap it's a big leap to suggest people doing that would also support fraud. As it is, with so many votes cast I'm sure there are some fraudulent ballots in existence, some administrative foul ups, but allegations of fraud still require something firm to back them up. If Trump had held on I'm some people would be very suspicious about how he managed it - aside from the legal if shitty tactics - but the evidence for such suspicion would need to be strong.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Yes 54% (+1)
    No 46% (-1)

Have all these recent “yes” polls been 16+? Because I doubt that will be the franchise.
    I think they have.

I'll also repeat - this is at peak of a pandemic where Sturgeon seen to have acted well and without focus on much of the practicalities. Much can change
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Look, I actually don't really care whether Trump wins or not,
    L
    O
    L
    !
    Well, actually I do. The meltdown on here would be epic.

I can imagine crying into your kale salad :)
  • Options

“Our Constitution does not secure the peaceful transition of power, but rather presupposes it,” says Amherst law professor Lawrence Douglas.

I think there’s a strong chance he just sods off to Florida and plays golf for two months.
  • Options

The other thing I've noticed about American elections is that the counts are very partisan in a ways ours are not.

I've been to so many counts, and there's a sense of bonhomie and relief that it is over, and there's nothing more you can do.

The only bits of nastiness/kerfuffle was back in 2008/09 when the BNP kicked off and didn't want to share a stage with the winning (non white) candidates and a few years ago the Kipper delaying the result because their egos wanted more votes and they were contesting every rejected ballot papers, papers no returning officer in the country would acept.

Candidates and agents of all parties are often pretty similar kinds of people, with similar interests, and who bump into each other a lot. I find them to be more pleasant with each other by far than their activists and supporters would be. Some local politics round my way has gotten strained mostly because a bunch of new people in one party are using more antagonistic tactics when the old guard, who know the opposite side a good people, think that's crappy.
  • Options
    Why are they not prompting for the Rishi Sunak party?
  • Options

I think there’s a strong chance he just sods off to Florida and plays golf for two months.
    He'd be better off going somewhere without an extradition treaty.
This discussion has been closed.