Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money shifts back to Biden on Betfair’s £240m next President market – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947
    edited October 2020

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    It confirms what I have been saying for a few days

People love the idea of sitting at home on 80% wages for doing nothing?
    It is more than that

Huge numbers are public sector or local authority employees or are pensioners all of whom have no financial penalties by staying at home, while the private sector is decimated, along with the tax revenues that go a long way to paying for the public sector

Big tax rises are coming down the line for everyone
    Here we go again, the myth repeated. The vast majority of public sector and local authority employees are not sitting at home on furlough - they are working. Most have face-to-face roles - you may even see them emptying your bins, staffing your hospitals, teaching your grandchildren, or cremating the dead. Some are working at home. Not very many are on furlough.
    I was not suggesting they are on furlough, quite the opposite

They are guaranteed their jobs and pensions and as with pensioners will not see any loss of income

I do not expect any public sector workers to loss their jobs, but on the other hand the private sector are looking at millions of job loses
    Fair enough, apologies. But your comment "huge numbers are public sector........" did follow directly from the sentence "People love the idea of sitting at home on 80% wages for doing nothing" so my interpretation was quite reasonable if you check the thread.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Mal557 said:

Scott_xP said:
    These good polls keep rolling in for Biden, just 3 days before, so many pollsters would have to be so wrong and would have zero credibility if they are. 2018 would be unimportant if they get BOTH Trumps elections wrong.
    https://twitter.com/kingsthings/status/1322245339567456256
    Possible but sometimes it just feels like the zeitgeist has shifted and this is one of those times.
    Frank Luntz's forte PR wise is working both side of the street simultaneously.

Which makes him appear (to coin a phrase) fair & balanced.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:
    I've yet to see a poll that shows a majority of people against covid restrictions.

If you have some, please share.

Because you are in a minority means you should shut up?
    I think the point was that Hitchens was suggesting that if nothing else "numbers" would worry the MPs. But if the polling shows its popular, "numbers" opposed won't mean anything.
    It will if they are all erstwhile Tory voters.
    Some evidence many of them are.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,207
    HYUFD said:
    "The survey of voters by the US President’s favourite pollsters gives him 48 percent ahead of his rival Joe Biden on 47 percent."

I bet they are.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Huge numbers are public sector or local authority employees or are pensioners all of whom have no financial penalties by staying at home, while the private sector is decimated, along with the tax revenues that go a long way to paying for the public sector

Here we go again, the myth repeated. The vast majority of public sector and local authority employees are not sitting at home on furlough - they are working. Most have face-to-face roles - you may even see them emptying your bins, staffing your hospitals, teaching your grandchildren, or cremating the dead. Some are working at home. Not very many are on furlough.

They are guaranteed their jobs and pensions and as with pensioners will not see any loss of income

I do not expect any public sector workers to loss their jobs, but on the other hand the private sector are looking at millions of job loses
    I doubt many members of the public really appreciate the shear mountain of debt and long term economic damage being built up during this crisis that will have to result in higher taxes for everybody for many decades.
    Tragic and costly that the government didn’t act sooner.
    Given that the Government seem to have learnt nothing in six months about this virus, what causes it to spread and what activities are safe, i don't think that "acting sooner" would have made the blindest bit of difference. It's bad enough that we're entering a second lockdown, but absolutely indefensible that they haven't learnt enough and communicated enough about the virus to be able to target the lockdown on shutting down activities that will actually make a difference.
  • Options

Cannot believe they are shutting golf courses. A sport you can easily social distance . Johnson really needs to look at what he is doing

My son in law's golf course was closed by Drakeford until the 9th November

However, Gwrych Castle is by the course (Abergele) and it is to close from the 9th November to the 2nd December while filming takes place for 'I am a celebrity' though members can play if the ban is lifted by the Welsh Assembly on the 9th

Abergele GC has also offered Ant and Dec honorary life membership
  • Options

alex_ said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    As I said at the time, politically smart, but this is intellectually dishonest.
    I'm not sure how you arrived at that. Seems to me to be accurate in every particular
    It won't help him. I predict that Johnson will be back at 50% in the polls within a week. The public will accept that he has tried his best to avoid a lockdown but he had to succumb. And Starmer's attempts to criticise will be characterised as sniping. It'll be like the last 6 months never happened.
    British public will support government measures just imposed. But methinks they will NOT be thanking Boris Johnson OR the Tory Party. Cursing is more like it.
    We'll see.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    "If" being the operative word here.

As in, "I wonder IF the Great Pumpkin will rise up from the old pumpkin patch THIS year?"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,277
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Cannot believe they are shutting golf courses. A sport you can easily social distance . Johnson really needs to look at what he is doing

They are back to "you must only leave your house for essential reasons". It doesn't matter how safe the activity you are undertaking is.
    I live right next to a golf course.
    It is Covid non-compliance central.
    Dogging?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

They are back to "you must only leave your house for essential reasons". It doesn't matter how safe the activity you are undertaking is.
    Lots of dogging is there?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    "8 in 10 Trump voters would not reveal they were a Trump Voter to family or friends" must be the greatest work of fiction of all time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,415

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

I doubt many members of the public really appreciate the shear mountain of debt and long term economic damage being built up during this crisis that will have to result in higher taxes for everybody for many decades.

This isn't just a matter of get a vaccine in a few months, job done, back to normal everybody, nothing to see. This is worse than 2008.
    Far worse.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Dogging?
    NOT if participants are wearing masks? Though granted proper social distancing IS an issue!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,057
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Don't you? Half the Councils in the country are on the verge of bankruptcy. I'm expecting across the board pay cuts and massive retrospective changes to pension entitlements.
    My NHS Trust is seriously overspent. I expect significant job losses, probably via early retirement and frozen vacancies in the New Year.

Hard to change pensions retrospectively though tax changes such as taxing lump sums might hit all pensioners.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,990

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

If they are not in face to face roles, they are still working from home often in poor conditions for an 8+ hour day.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Which public sector jobs would you like to see cut?
    None.

However there is an unfairness that the private sector are taking this huge hit while many others are unaffected job wise
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    "8 in 10 Trump voters would not reveal they were a Trump Voter to family or friends" must be the greatest work of fiction of all time.
    Lol. And if that were really true that must be because all the "family and friends" were anti Trump. Which by a simple process of logic leads to the conclusion that there must be a Biden landslide.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1322646591010971649

Is there anything this Government does that isn't corrupt?

Is that Kate Bingham, wife of Conservative MP Jesse Norman?
    It’s Kate Bingham, the doyen of the U.K. life sciences industry and the most experienced investor in development stage drugs the country has
    Is there no-one in government who understands the concept of conflicts of interest or the risks of insider dealing or why there may be issues in doing this?

Kate Bingham may be all that @Charles describes but a lot of care needs to be taken about sharing sensitive and potentially price sensitive information such as this in such a way. Did anyone think about this and provide some guidance about what is or is not appropriate?
    On the face of it she seems to be very well qualified to help advise HMG. Strong scientific and business background, but why address US investors if there was a risk of accusations about conflicts of interest?

https://svhealthinvestors.com/people/kate-bingham
    Who was advising her? The government legal service? Anyone? Or did they not even realise there might be an issue? Or didn’t care?
    “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.”

I am surprised that she never thought about that quote. Perhaps clash of interests isn't something taught on at The Harvard Business School.
  • Options
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Fair enough, apologies. But your comment "huge numbers are public sector........" did follow directly from the sentence "People love the idea of sitting at home on 80% wages for doing nothing" so my interpretation was quite reasonable if you check the thread.
    I did not mean to mislead in my comment and was making a genuine point

Thank you though
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Useful reminder that that suggestion also came with numbers that made it clear the model had no real idea its level of effectiveness.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    I will respect any mp who comes out publically, not anonymous briefing
    Unlike the Prime Minister you mean?
    This pre briefing today was wrong and it looks more likely to be from enemies of no 10 but then neither of us know for certain the source
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    You don't half post some total nonsense tweets that add nothing to inform or add to the debate.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    They should have included the Fuckwit Brothers projection of recorded cases doubling every week.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

However there is an unfairness that the private sector are taking this huge hit while many others are unaffected job wise
    Amazon are taking a huge hit. Hmmmm.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:
    It is almost impossible to make a completely shit anti-brexit point, but that is a serious contender. Unless it's a joke.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The 'legal' 'arguments' being made by the GOPers in the Harris Countycase are sickening.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know how many of those people who think a lockdown should have happened earlier had already locked down themselves voluntarily from the date they think a lockdown should have happened from.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

You know that is not what I mean

Hospitality, leisure and travel are being decimated
  • Options
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

But the public sector is expanding partly as a consequence of government policy - remember, thousands more police officers, nurses, doctors and so on (not to mention customs and border staff and other post-brexit functionaries). Additionally, the public sector has had to expand in light of the pandemic - for example thousands taken on to deal with Universal Credit claims, track and trace etc. So some of those losing jobs in the private sector could theoretically move over to the public sector - if they'd accept the wages. Just one other thing - public sector workers pay taxes as well.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Similar to the early 80s then?
    How we luxuriated in Tory largesse in those days.
  • Options
    That didn't work out quite as predicted.
  • Options
    He's barely pretending to conceal it these days.
  • Options
    Its the ONE FAMILY bit which is worrying.

I know you Americans like political dynasties but it seems bit third world to me.
  • Options

I know you Americans like political dynasties but it seems bit third world to me.
    That's the ein Führer bit. It's like as if Hitler had kids and was 70-odd.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

But the public sector is expanding partly as a consequence of government policy - remember, thousands more police officers, nurses, doctors and so on (not to mention customs and border staff and other post-brexit functionaries). Additionally, the public sector has had to expand in light of the pandemic - for example thousands taken on to deal with Universal Credit claims, track and trace etc. So some of those losing jobs in the private sector could theoretically move over to the public sector - if they'd accept the wages. Just one other thing - public sector workers pay taxes as well.
    I do not disagree but the public sector depends in a large part to a successful private sector generating taxes

And two members of my family, my daughter and daughter in law work in the public sector
  • Options

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Private sector vs. Public sector is such an outdated argument. Tory Stone Age nonsense. Irrelevant, unhelpful and another attempt to divide people.

Today of all days, Tories ought to show a little humility and seek to build bridges. The odd apology might go down well.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    edited October 2020

I really feel that Trump is more worrying than the virus.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,466

Anecdote: I heard this evening that a family friend's daughter has tested positive. She thinks she caught it at the gym.

My first response was "Fecking stupid, going to the gym". And for some reason people say I lack empathy.

Yes, you have been critical of people trying to live a normal life since this started, branding those who do dickheads, as I recall.
  • Options
    Another point of course is what happened to "masks are hugely effective in cutting transmission and dangerous infection rates"? Now i believe that is true. But it defies belief that having established that, we are now reverting to an identical blanket lockdown policy (x schools) that we had in March. Surely masks should allow (at least) the non-essential shops to remain open. Allow a bit more scope for using public transport. Definitely allow outside activities to continue.

We've had a government which for months has been arguing that their approach needed to balance the health situation with the needs of the economy. And have deliberately delayed extreme measures to pursue that end. And within two days they've just chucked it all out of the window. At ENORMOUS cost to the country's mental, physical and economic well being.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Private sector vs. Public sector is such an outdated argument. Tory Stone Age nonsense. Irrelevant, unhelpful and another attempt to divide people.

Today of all days, Tories ought to show a little humility and seek to build bridges. The odd apology might go down well.
    You'd best start the apologies then.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Why should I apologise for stating something that is obvious and actually includes myself as a pensioner who is looking at an unjustified triple lock increase of 2.5% in my pension next April

Additionally two of my family work in the public sector and understand that it is private sector jobs that are disappearing
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Why should I apologise for stating something that is obvious and actually includes myself as a pensioner who is looking at an unjustified triple lock increase of 2.5% in my pension next April

Additionally two of my family work in the public sector and understand that it is private sector jobs that are disappearing
    So a bit less of the "polling support is all coming from the public sector workers on cushy numbers". I work in the public sector, and i can tell you i am fuming at the incompetence of it all. It doesn't make the public sector look good either that they are responsible for a lot of it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

The average voter understands that the private sector pays for the public sector.

The odd apology from those cheering on a lockdown to those who will lose their businesses, after supporting the public sector, wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

The average voter understands that the private sector pays for the public sector.

The odd apology from those cheering on a lockdown to those who will lose their businesses, after supporting the public sector, wouldn't go amiss.
    Without a public sector providing infrastructure like roads, etc. the private sector would cease to function. The relationship can't purely judged on economic grounds.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,785
    Not sure why but there's been a noticeable uptick in Trump's approval rating with likely/registered voters over the last few days. It's now 45.3%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/voters/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Without a public sector providing infrastructure like roads, etc. the private sector would cease to function. The relationship can't purely judged on economic grounds.
    Without a private sector there would be no roads.

What I find so funny is not that people don't understand that. But that they think the average voter doesn't.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

So a bit less of the "polling support is all coming from the public sector workers on cushy numbers". I work in the public sector, and i can tell you i am fuming at the incompetence of it all. It doesn't make the public sector look good either that they are responsible for a lot of it.
    I did not say that and many in the public sector are miles removed from a cushy number

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,785
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder which leader the voters of Quebec support the most.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Your naked partisan attacks have been as predictable today as they have been divisive.

All they make me do is to want to harden down my support and rally round Boris, who I detest.

Ditch the poundshop Damien McBride stuff if you want us to all to make progress.

You are always at your worst with posts like this and you're much better than that.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    I wonder which leader the voters of Quebec support the most.
    "According to Trudeau, no point in doing things that unnecessarily hurt others."

Did Justin think this when he wore black face all those times?
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE: National security nightmare of Hunter Biden's abandoned laptop containing phone numbers for the Clintons, Secret Service officers and most of the Obama cabinet plus his sex and drug addictions - all secured by the password Hunter02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8901193/National-security-nightmare-Hunter-Bidens-laptop.html
  • Options
    This is going to finish off semi pro sport unless there is an exemption.
    Ps. 9 non-elite teams in FA Cup first round.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

All those leagues under the Football League are going to need a bail out.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,450

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Big G no need for you to apologise

You are one of the few posters on here with decent values.

Too many hard left on here glorying in the Covid just to try to undermine the government!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630
    Not sure that particular criticism works. I feel like most people expected a second wave, albeit hoping we'd be better prepared than we have been, so a repeat was always a possibility.

• Options
    alex_ said:

Another point of course is what happened to "masks are hugely effective in cutting transmission and dangerous infection rates"? Now i believe that is true. But it defies belief that having established that, we are now reverting to an identical blanket lockdown policy (x schools) that we had in March. Surely masks should allow (at least) the non-essential shops to remain open. Allow a bit more scope for using public transport. Definitely allow outside activities to continue.

We've had a government which for months has been arguing that their approach needed to balance the health situation with the needs of the economy. And have deliberately delayed extreme measures to pursue that end. And within two days they've just chucked it all out of the window. At ENORMOUS cost to the country's mental, physical and economic well being.

Wearing a mask when going into shops and other enclosed spaces with a changing cast of other people is AOK PROVIDED

a) you're picky about where you stick your (covered) nose; and

b) you do NOT linger within, because the longer you do, the greater your risk.

Note that the configuration and especially size of the space is important. By size I mean as measured in three dimensions, as height as a lot to do with the cubic footage of AIR within the enclosure.

Thus I am way more comfortable shopping in large, open-space grocery store with high ceilings (esp. early in morning when crowd is less) than in a pokey little place with cramped walkways.

Note that on Election Eve will be attending small cocktail reception (under a tent) with folks I work with, followed by a small dinner party in a fancy restaurant (haven't been to one of them OR a greasy spoon since St Patrick's Day) in a mid-sized but HIGH-ceiling room, with waiter required by law to wear masks.

As shall I when not actively on the gargle or stuffing my pie hole!
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Your naked partisan attacks have been as predictable today as they have been divisive.

All they make me do is to want to harden down my support and rally round Boris, who I detest.

Ditch the poundshop Damien McBride stuff if you want us to all to make progress.

You are always at your worst with posts like this and you're much better than that.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Today’s events were predicted and avoidable. I am tired of having a fool in number 10 and have little respect for those who continue to defend him. We need to get rid of him.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Too many hard left on here glorying in the Covid just to try to undermine the government!
    Thank you
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,299
    Barnesian said:

I really feel that Trump is more worrying than the virus.
    Trump is actively spreading the virus :e
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,618
    Charles said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

MrEd said:

Must be rigorously operated though - I’m unhappy with drive through voting to be honest.

That's a completely different argument though. To attempt to invalidate after the fact is something else completely.
    If the vote was cast illegally then it is right to throw it out. The county should also write to everyone who’s vote was thrown out and invite them to recast their vote
    Write to them? Are you having a laugh? You are aware that the US election is on Tuesday, aren't you? Not a month on Tuesday?
    I realised that shortly after posting. I clearly meant communicate with them. Take out adverts if you need to.
    Come on Charles that is nonsense.
    If it is illegal then the votes are invalid. No ifs or buts.

But the electoral authorities should make all the efforts possible to contact the individuals to give them the opportunity to cast their vote again
    Clueless.
    Federal courts should not be attempting to invalidate votes legally cast under state law, especially within a couple of days of the election.

You are parroting Republican lines.
  • Options
    Joined up Government.

Last week the Govt added Canary Island to the travel corridor. Thousands of UK residents booked holidays for November. Why wouldn't they?

One week later. Government bans international travel.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,142
    edited October 2020

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

I thought the public/ private debate was dead and buried years ago.

I deal with local authority refuse collectors across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They empty your bins for not much money, now you probably think they are ill-educated so why pay them more than we need to. Just after the Pheonix Four collapsed MGRover and helped themselves to not insubstantial amounts of money, many well qualified time- served engineers lost their jobs. I met many former MG employees who retrained as refuse vehicle drivers. So screwed by the private sector, screwed in the public sector.

One thing I have learned over the years in local authorities is that every now and again a journeyman is given a Head of Department/ Service job. Their brief is to save money, so how to save money in a labour intensive environment? Sack the Labour! What I see is this, in a department of 100 refuse collectors, a new broom sacks 20 to 30 of them, the new broom gets a gold star and moves onto a promotion at another local authority. Why not? They have just saved a 25% labour bill. But what happens next? The service starts to fail, agency staff are taken on (at a higher cost) to make up the lost service. Someone sees the agency labour bill and panics, the agency staff are made permanent and are put on the books, the staff compliment is back to 100. Then a year or two later a journeyman gets a Head of Service job...

So give it up. It is hard everywhere these days. And I say that as someone who ploughs my own private furrow.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,523

EXCLUSIVE: National security nightmare of Hunter Biden's abandoned laptop containing phone numbers for the Clintons, Secret Service officers and most of the Obama cabinet plus his sex and drug addictions - all secured by the password Hunter02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8901193/National-security-nightmare-Hunter-Bidens-laptop.html

mmmmm https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hunter2
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Joined up Government.

Last week the Govt added Canary Island to the travel corridor. Thousands of UK residents booked holidays for November. Why wouldn't they?

One week later. Government bans international travel.

And as far as I can tell, they haven't ruled it out for Christmas.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited October 2020
    Still no plan on what to do with all those little plague spreaders at unis. Is only 5-6 weeks or so until they start to return for Christmas holidays.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185
    edited October 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Not sure why but there's been a noticeable uptick in Trump's approval rating with likely/registered voters over the last few days. It's now 45.3%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/voters/

Could be true. But color me dubious re: ANY polling the final week before the first Tuesday after first Monday in November.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Here we go again, the myth repeated. The vast majority of public sector and local authority employees are not sitting at home on sfurlough - they are working. Most have face-to-face roles - you may even see them emptying your bins, staffing your hospitals, teaching your grandchildren, or cremating the dead. Some are working at home. Not very many are on furlough.

None.

Private vs. Public arguments are childish. We’re all dependent on each other. Always have been, always will be. Pitting one sector against another is unhelpful. A diversion from the omnishambles he Conservatives have delivered.
  • Options
    Can't believe Captain Hindsight is bleating on about the lockdown

He wanted two weeks

Boris has shown clear leadership with four weeks plus a clear route out!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Can't say I think it is unnecessary hurt. Someone who would take or defend (even in mealy mouthed fashion) action in response cartoons may need a bit of emotional hurt and pain by taking such offense. Pain teaches us lessons.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Yeah, I'm loving the furlough.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not sure that particular criticism works. I feel like most people expected a second wave, albeit hoping we'd be better prepared than we have been, so a repeat was always a possibility.

I wonder if now having a huge testing capacity has negative consequences.

If we did half as many tests then there would be far fewer reported positive cases.

With the innumerate in government less panicky.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Private ba. Public arguments are childish. We’re all dependent on each other. Always have been, always will be. Pitting one sector against another is unhelpful. A diversion from the omnishambles he Conservatives have delivered.
    Sorry you cannot see the reality of what is happening and far more importantly the financial implications for the public services we all depend on going forward
  • Options

kle4 said:

I wonder if now having a huge testing capacity has negative consequences.

If we did half as many tests then there would be far fewer reported positive cases.

With the innumerate in government less panicky.
    I can see the theory, but there's always reports of 'estimated numbers of cases' and the like whatever the headline figure is, so it wouldn't prevent panic, especially if other indicators like admissions and deaths ramped up, as they have.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

dixiedean said:

All those leagues under the Football League are going to need a bail out.
    Believe it is currently below National League N/S, but yes.
    How about RL below SL level? Not played since March. Workington, Whitehaven, Barrow, Dewsbury, Keighley, Leigh have Tory Mps. 4 of them Red Wall 2019 gains.
    Very important to their communities. Other clubs have supporters in newly acquired Toryland.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

alex_ said:

Wearing a mask when going into shops and other enclosed spaces with a changing cast of other people is AOK PROVIDED

a) you're picky about where you stick your (covered) nose; and

b) you do NOT linger within, because the longer you do, the greater your risk.

Note that the configuration and especially size of the space is important. By size I mean as measured in three dimensions, as height as a lot to do with the cubic footage of AIR within the enclosure.

Thus I am way more comfortable shopping in large, open-space grocery store with high ceilings (esp. early in morning when crowd is less) than in a pokey little place with cramped walkways.

Note that on Election Eve will be attending small cocktail reception (under a tent) with folks I work with, followed by a small dinner party in a fancy restaurant (haven't been to one of them OR a greasy spoon since St Patrick's Day) in a mid-sized but HIGH-ceiling room, with waiter required by law to wear masks.

As shall I when not actively on the gargle or stuffing my pie hole!
    Nothing is zero risk. But when the economic well being of the country is at stake, the Govt should be trying harder to keep low risk businesses open. Not just shutting them all to make the "messaging" simpler.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282
    HYUFD said:
    Oh dear

Tuesday is going to be fun.

And if these Morons are Democrats they are doing a good job for Trump and a massive disservice to Biden

Joe should tell them to Fuck right off unlike Mr stand down and stand ready
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

". . .few posters on here with decent values."

From what I can see, MOST indeed almost all would be more like it, regardless of ideology or partisanship. Including Big G and (I'm willing to bet) you.
  • Options
    Anyone supporting Trump on here?
  • Options
    Given the US election is on, I've been replaying Democracy 3, and had a bit fun trying to create a religious police state, but which takes environmental issues very seriously. Turns out it is pretty hard to do so without being assassinated, and pay for things.
  • Options

In what way? Certainly more on here have some kind of bet on him, as opposed to supporting his re-election.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,142
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

The public sector employee pays his taxes too, and there is no leeway as to the tax paid. As someone self employed in the private sector, I pay accountants to legitimately make me more tax efficient.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    edited October 2020

Mr Ed and Ave It, Casino would vote Libertarian but not Trump or Biden
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Private ba. Public arguments are childish. We’re all dependent on each other. Always have been, always will be. Pitting one sector against another is unhelpful. A diversion from the omnishambles he Conservatives have delivered.
    Sorry you cannot see the reality of what is happening and far more importantly the financial implications for the public services we all depend on going forward
    The reality is this government by prevaricating has caused unnecessary economic damage and we will all suffer. Perhaps it has been spending a bit too much time on its cold, hard Brexit dreams, again a device to cause entirely avoidable economic harm.
This discussion has been closed.