Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money shifts back to Biden on Betfair’s £240m next President market – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340

Can't believe Captain Hindsight is bleating on about the lockdown

He wanted two weeks

Boris has shown clear leadership with four weeks plus a clear route out!

Yeah, whatever.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    It confirms what I have been saying for a few days

People love the idea of sitting at home on 80% wages for doing nothing?
    It is more than that

Huge numbers are public sector or local authority employees or are pensioners all of whom have no financial penalties by staying at home, while the private sector is decimated, along with the tax revenues that go a long way to paying for the public sector

Big tax rises are coming down the line for everyone
    Here we go again, the myth repeated. The vast majority of public sector and local authority employees are not sitting at home on furlough - they are working. Most have face-to-face roles - you may even see them emptying your bins, staffing your hospitals, teaching your grandchildren, or cremating the dead. Some are working at home. Not very many are on furlough.
    I was not suggesting they are on furlough, quite the opposite

They are guaranteed their jobs and pensions and as with pensioners will not see any loss of income

I do not expect any public sector workers to loss their jobs, but on the other hand the private sector are looking at millions of job loses
    Which public sector jobs would you like to see cut?
    None.

However there is an unfairness that the private sector are taking this huge hit while many others are unaffected job wise
    I thought the public/ private debate was dead and buried years ago.

I deal with local authority refuse collectors across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They empty your bins for not much money, now you probably think they are ill-educated so why pay them more than we need to. Just after the Pheonix Four collapsed MGRover and helped themselves to not insubstantial amounts of money, many well qualified time- served engineers lost their jobs. I met many former MG employees who retrained as refuse vehicle drivers. So screwed by the private sector, screwed in the public sector.

One thing I have learned over the years in local authorities is that every now and again a journeyman is given a Head of Department/ Service job. Their brief is to save money, so how to save money in a labour intensive environment? Sack the Labour! What I see is this, in a department of 100 refuse collectors, a new broom sacks 20 to 30 of them, the new broom gets a gold star and moves onto a promotion at another local authority. Why not? They have just saved a 25% labour bill. But what happens next? The service starts to fail, agency staff are taken on (at a higher cost) to make up the lost service. Someone sees the agency labour bill and panics, the agency staff are made permanent and are put on the books, the staff compliment is back to 100. Then a year or two later a journeyman gets a Head of Service job...

So give it up. It is hard everywhere these days. And I say that as someone who ploughs my own private furrow.
    Why on earth do you think I disrespect public sector workers or value them less

You are missing the point entirely

The public sector requires a successful private sector and in this crisis it is the private sector who are paying the price in lost jobs and futures

Why do those on the left not like this being pointed our when it is happening to so many
  • Options
    What's the betting it isn't just 4 weeks...and in the end we are released just before Christmas.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224

He wanted two weeks

Yeah, whatever.
    Good luck with Drakeford (you are in Wales aren't you?)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anyone supporting Trump on here?

Mr Ed and Ave It
    Missing Ave It whatever happened to him/her? :lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure that particular criticism works. I feel like most people expected a second wave, albeit hoping we'd be better prepared than we have been, so a repeat was always a possibility.

I wonder if now having a huge testing capacity has negative consequences.

If we did half as many tests then there would be far fewer reported positive cases.

With the innumerate in government less panicky.
    I can see the theory, but there's always reports of 'estimated numbers of cases' and the like whatever the headline figure is, so it wouldn't prevent panic, especially if other indicators like admissions and deaths ramped up, as they have.
    I suspect many in government are functionally innumerate, have no attention to detail and have goldfish minds about previous predictions.

They also like to look as if they know what is being discussed even when they don't.

So put some extrapolating to infinity graphs in front of them, talk scary numbers, make some claims about how terrible things will be while using technical vocabulary they don't understand and the politicians will nod along and sign off on anything you want doing.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

Huge numbers are public sector or local authority employees or are pensioners all of whom have no financial penalties by staying at home, while the private sector is decimated, along with the tax revenues that go a long way to paying for the public sector

Here we go again, the myth repeated. The vast majority of public sector and local authority employees are not sitting at home on furlough - they are working. Most have face-to-face roles - you may even see them emptying your bins, staffing your hospitals, teaching your grandchildren, or cremating the dead. Some are working at home. Not very many are on furlough.

They are guaranteed their jobs and pensions and as with pensioners will not see any loss of income

I do not expect any public sector workers to loss their jobs, but on the other hand the private sector are looking at millions of job loses
    None.

However there is an unfairness that the private sector are taking this huge hit while many others are unaffected job wise

I deal with local authority refuse collectors across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They empty your bins for not much money, now you probably think they are ill-educated so why pay them more than we need to. Just after the Pheonix Four collapsed MGRover and helped themselves to not insubstantial amounts of money, many well qualified time- served engineers lost their jobs. I met many former MG employees who retrained as refuse vehicle drivers. So screwed by the private sector, screwed in the public sector.

One thing I have learned over the years in local authorities is that every now and again a journeyman is given a Head of Department/ Service job. Their brief is to save money, so how to save money in a labour intensive environment? Sack the Labour! What I see is this, in a department of 100 refuse collectors, a new broom sacks 20 to 30 of them, the new broom gets a gold star and moves onto a promotion at another local authority. Why not? They have just saved a 25% labour bill. But what happens next? The service starts to fail, agency staff are taken on (at a higher cost) to make up the lost service. Someone sees the agency labour bill and panics, the agency staff are made permanent and are put on the books, the staff compliment is back to 100. Then a year or two later a journeyman gets a Head of Service job...

So give it up. It is hard everywhere these days. And I say that as someone who ploughs my own private furrow.

The public sector requires a successful private sector and in this crisis it is the private sector who are paying the price in lost jobs and futures

Why do those on the left not like this being pointed our when it is happening to so many
    Both sectors depend on each other.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Given the US election is on, I've been replaying Democracy 3, and had a bit fun trying to create a religious police state, but which takes environmental issues very seriously. Turns out it is pretty hard to do so without being assassinated, and pay for things.

The Massachusetts Bay Colony certainly fit the definition of religious police state definition. AND IIRC they had some fairly stringent environmental regulations, at least for the 17th century.
  • Options

He wanted two weeks

Yeah, whatever.
    It is a reasonable point though.

If Drakeford's two weeker fails and Boris's four weeker is a success ...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Amazon are taking a huge hit. Hmmmm.
    You know that is not what I mean

Hospitality, leisure and travel are being decimated
    Private sector vs. Public sector is such an outdated argument. Tory Stone Age nonsense. Irrelevant, unhelpful and another attempt to divide people.

Today of all days, Tories ought to show a little humility and seek to build bridges. The odd apology might go down well.
    Why should I apologise for stating something that is obvious and actually includes myself as a pensioner who is looking at an unjustified triple lock increase of 2.5% in my pension next April

Additionally two of my family work in the public sector and understand that it is private sector jobs that are disappearing
    Private ba. Public arguments are childish. We’re all dependent on each other. Always have been, always will be. Pitting one sector against another is unhelpful. A diversion from the omnishambles he Conservatives have delivered.
    Sorry you cannot see the reality of what is happening and far more importantly the financial implications for the public services we all depend on going forward
    The reality is this government by prevaricating has caused unnecessary economic damage and we will all suffer. Perhaps it has been spending a bit too much time on its cold, hard Brexit dreams, again a device to cause entirely avoidable economic harm.
    Always comes back to brexit with some posters
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

What's the betting it isn't just 4 weeks...and in the end we are released just before Christmas.

https://twitter.com/konstantinkisin/status/1322659648403628033?s=21
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

EXCLUSIVE: National security nightmare of Hunter Biden's abandoned laptop containing phone numbers for the Clintons, Secret Service officers and most of the Obama cabinet plus his sex and drug addictions - all secured by the password Hunter02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8901193/National-security-nightmare-Hunter-Bidens-laptop.html

Without being able to refute them, most of these stories sound extremely suspicious for one simple reason.

If they were true, why weren't they reported in the US weeks ago when they might have actually made a difference? And why are they being revealed by the Daily Mail?

• Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited October 2020
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Private sector vs. Public sector is such an outdated argument. Tory Stone Age nonsense. Irrelevant, unhelpful and another attempt to divide people.

Today of all days, Tories ought to show a little humility and seek to build bridges. The odd apology might go down well.
    The average voter understands that the private sector pays for the public sector.

The odd apology from those cheering on a lockdown to those who will lose their businesses, after supporting the public sector, wouldn't go amiss.
    Without a public sector providing infrastructure like roads, etc. the private sector would cease to function. The relationship can't purely judged on economic grounds.
    Without a private sector there would be no roads.

What I find so funny is not that people don't understand that. But that they think the average voter doesn't.
    Without a public sector there would also be no roads, it's a relationship that relies on both parties. It isn't one or the other.

Without a public sector in 2008 the banking system would have collapsed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Why should I apologise for stating something that is obvious and actually includes myself as a pensioner who is looking at an unjustified triple lock increase of 2.5% in my pension next April

Additionally two of my family work in the public sector and understand that it is private sector jobs that are disappearing
    Private ba. Public arguments are childish. We’re all dependent on each other. Always have been, always will be. Pitting one sector against another is unhelpful. A diversion from the omnishambles he Conservatives have delivered.
    Sorry you cannot see the reality of what is happening and far more importantly the financial implications for the public services we all depend on going forward
    The reality is this government by prevaricating has caused unnecessary economic damage and we will all suffer. Perhaps it has been spending a bit too much time on its cold, hard Brexit dreams, again a device to cause entirely avoidable economic harm.
    The mind boggles why anyone would rush that through in the middle of a serious crisis. It’s the government’s obsession that’s the problem.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Exactly - why do they pretend to know what no one knows?

https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/status/1322679787995975683?s=21
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

The mind boggles why anyone would rush that through in the middle of a serious crisis. It’s the government’s obsession that’s the problem.
    So it is brexit
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Spot on, I am not pro one or the other.

I happen to think there are lousy public sector workers and organisations and there are equally lousy private sector workers and organisations.

I could spend tomorrow waxing lyrical about the inefficiencies of the big red phone company but I feel I might bore people here!
  • Options
    Mike - almost irrespective of the subject matter of a particular thread as indicated by the header, we have two enormous stories running side by side at present - the COVID-19 Crisis and the American POTUS Elections.
    To enable PBers to navigate the subject on which they wish to concentrate, please could you try to arrange things so that for the next four days or so we have two main threads running simultaneously with a request written in bold under each one requesting posters to confine themselves to the subject matter indicated by the thread header.
  • Options
    Good night.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Impossible, seniors are all voting Biden!

...Meanwhile GOP are beating their 2016 EV lead in Sumter.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

I agree but when one sector is decimated the consequences for the other are seriously undermined
  • Options

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

And as someone paying my taxes in the private sector, I want someone in the public sector (or working on behalf of the public sector) to empty my bins.

There will be public sector job cuts on the horizon in the same way as people in the private sector are losing their jobs. It's not a competition. I have had very few new customers, public or private sector since March. We're all up S*** Street!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Another point of course is what happened to "masks are hugely effective in cutting transmission and dangerous infection rates"? Now i believe that is true. But it defies belief that having established that, we are now reverting to an identical blanket lockdown policy (x schools) that we had in March. Surely masks should allow (at least) the non-essential shops to remain open. Allow a bit more scope for using public transport. Definitely allow outside activities to continue.

We've had a government which for months has been arguing that their approach needed to balance the health situation with the needs of the economy. And have deliberately delayed extreme measures to pursue that end. And within two days they've just chucked it all out of the window. At ENORMOUS cost to the country's mental, physical and economic well being.

Wearing a mask when going into shops and other enclosed spaces with a changing cast of other people is AOK PROVIDED

a) you're picky about where you stick your (covered) nose; and

b) you do NOT linger within, because the longer you do, the greater your risk.

Note that the configuration and especially size of the space is important. By size I mean as measured in three dimensions, as height as a lot to do with the cubic footage of AIR within the enclosure.

Thus I am way more comfortable shopping in large, open-space grocery store with high ceilings (esp. early in morning when crowd is less) than in a pokey little place with cramped walkways.

Note that on Election Eve will be attending small cocktail reception (under a tent) with folks I work with, followed by a small dinner party in a fancy restaurant (haven't been to one of them OR a greasy spoon since St Patrick's Day) in a mid-sized but HIGH-ceiling room, with waiter required by law to wear masks.

As shall I when not actively on the gargle or stuffing my pie hole!
    Nothing is zero risk. But when the economic well being of the country is at stake, the Govt should be trying harder to keep low risk businesses open. Not just shutting them all to make the "messaging" simpler.
    Would agree - PROVIDED the definition of "low risk" is NOT so loose and loop-holed as to be itself a serious risk.

Anyway, at the shindig I described, do plan to take frequent smoke breaks outside (even though I do NOT smoke) and will NOT be lingering over dessert and coffee.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

I happen to think there are lousy public sector workers and organisations and there are equally lousy private sector workers and organisations.

I could spend tomorrow waxing lyrical about the inefficiencies of the big red phone company but I feel I might bore people here!
    Having worked in both, they’re both essentially the same. It’s a dirty little secret that certain political ideologues really can’t handle.
  • Options

Its the ONE FAMILY bit which is worrying.

I know you Americans like political dynasties but it seems bit third world to me.
    MONARCHY = SOCIALISM :lol:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Having worked in both, they’re both essentially the same. It’s a dirty little secret that certain political ideologues really can’t handle.
    I've only ever worked in the private sector, filthy capitalist I am but I am absolutely sure the public sector could not be more inefficient than some of the departments in the big red company.

Like having to raise a ticket with an Indian team so I could speak to the IT team who were literally sat next to me.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

EXCLUSIVE: National security nightmare of Hunter Biden's abandoned laptop containing phone numbers for the Clintons, Secret Service officers and most of the Obama cabinet plus his sex and drug addictions - all secured by the password Hunter02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8901193/National-security-nightmare-Hunter-Bidens-laptop.html

Without being able to refute them, most of these stories sound extremely suspicious for one simple reason.

If they were true, why weren't they reported in the US weeks ago when they might have actually made a difference? And why are they being revealed by the Daily Mail?

"And why are they being revealed by the Daily Mail?"

To sell copies of . . . the Daily Mail!
  • Options
    Anyway I really am off to sleep, goodnight all.
  • Options
    isam said:

Indeed.

Though the first two predictions turned out to be correct.
  • Options

Good night.

Goodnight CHB see you soon
  • Options

alex_ said:

"And why are they being revealed by the Daily Mail?"

To sell copies of . . . the Daily Mail!
    Well obviously. I mean, why aren't they being revealed in the US. Or are they. These stories seem to me to be a lot more explicit and potentially damaging that the more general innuendo that is being reported.

Even if not implicating Joe Biden in anything.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

The average voter understands that the private sector pays for the public sector.

The odd apology from those cheering on a lockdown to those who will lose their businesses, after supporting the public sector, wouldn't go amiss.
    Without a public sector providing infrastructure like roads, etc. the private sector would cease to function. The relationship can't purely judged on economic grounds.
    You do know that a lot of the decent roads in this country have their origins as for profit turnpikes?
  • Options

He wanted two weeks

Yeah, whatever.

Are you serious?

The point isn't Drakeford has made a massive error by only locking down for two weeks (although it may come to pass that two weeks was too short). The point is, Johnson claimed a full lockdown was counter productive and now because he has had to make a U-turn his lockdown has to be longer than it might have otherwise been, had he locked down earlier. Johnson's beef with the Welsh lockdown was it is 17 days too long- not two weeks too short!

Man, I can't cope with some of the utter nonsensical comments on here tonight. Good night!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    isam said:

I would have thought that within-reason optimism was a duty of leadership, and given the absolute infantility of the press throughout - "Are we nearly there yet? Why do I have to tidy my room again?" - as a parent I have a huge amount of sympathy with the "whatever it takes to shut the little buggers up for 5 minutes" approach.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    It's been obviously necessary for weeks - there will be a debate on whether Johnson should be praised for getting a grip or condemned for vacillating, but I thinhk that most people won't think of it in political terms at all - just a measure compelled by reality.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    theProle said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

You do know that a lot of the decent roads in this country have their origins as for profit turnpikes?
    That's really got nothing to do with the expense of their upkeep today. If they were infrastructure that had been built, and now just sat there without needing maintenance, your point would hold.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,395
    theProle said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

That was then...

Look at the M6Toll road, Half empty because people wont pay for it. I would be very surprised if anymore private roads occur agin.

• Options

It's been obviously necessary for weeks - there will be a debate on whether Johnson should be praised for getting a grip or condemned for vacillating, but I thinhk that most people won't think of it in political terms at all - just a measure compelled by reality.
    Well quite. But an avoidable reality, with extremely serious implications.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Can't say I think it is unnecessary hurt. Someone who would take or defend (even in mealy mouthed fashion) action in response cartoons may need a bit of emotional hurt and pain by taking such offense. Pain teaches us lessons.
    His explanation is so much phooey. It’s cowardice, plain and simple, dressed up in the language of politeness in the hope that the bully won’t come after him too.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options

theProle said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

That was then...

Look at the M6Toll road, Half empty because people wont pay for it. I would be very surprised if anymore private roads occur agin.

Plenty of Toll roads across Europe and the US.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Big G no need for you to apologise

You are one of the few posters on here with decent values.

Too many hard left on here glorying in the Covid just to try to undermine the government!
    I know, but it's water off Sturgeon's back.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Well, to complete the misery, I expect the Great Orange Pillock to win on Tuesday.

Everything else has been shit this year. Why would this be any different?

Night all.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Nick - Do you believe EVERYTHING except "essential" activity should be shut down. Or do you believe that over the course of the last six months we should have learnt enough about this virus and how it spreads to be able to better target measures where they actually make a difference? And i'm not talking here about heated debates on whether pubs and restaurants are major spreaders or not. But mainly outdoor activities that even the most committed lockdowner would probably struggle to attach hardly any risk whatsoever, and whose closure will do huge unnecessary long term damage.

I cited the examples earlier of London Zoo and Kew Gardens - which i'm sure are causes close to your own heart and which fund and support crucial conservation activities around the world - the loss of which support is incalculable.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2020
    Given the green agenda and massive economic problems, I wouldn't rule out road pricing / tolls coming in.
  • Options

theProle said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

That was then...

A bit simplistic? Half-emptiness is what people are paying for.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

theProle said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

That was then...

A bit simplistic? Half-emptiness is what people are paying for.
    Well quite. The only issue with the M6 Toll road is whether it covers its costs. Nobody in France objects to the toll motorways. Most of which are in better condition than those still maintained at public expense.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Hmm - Trump does seem to be ahead in the last few polls there, and this one has a respectable record, I believe. A point that doesn't seem to be made widely enough is one familiar to anyone who's done knock-up on election day: you simply don't get everyone out voting, no matter how many helpers you have. Stuff happens and 10-20% of the people who told you they'd definitely vote actually don't, because they've twisted an ankle or their sister isn't well or a hundred other reasons. Calculations that say "Biden has a 70-30 lead in the votes cast so far, but that will be balanced by Trump having 75-25 in the ones not yet cast" aren't really in the real world.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

It is more than that

None.

Without a private sector there would be no roads.

What I find so funny is not that people don't understand that. But that they think the average voter doesn't.
    Without a public sector there would also be no roads, it's a relationship that relies on both parties. It isn't one or the other.

Without a public sector in 2008 the banking system would have collapsed.
    The private sector relies on Limited Liability which is a creation of the state.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437

Given the green agenda and massive economic problems, I wouldn't rule out road pricing / tolls coming in.

When the big switch to electric cars does happen there's a lot of missing tax revenue. An advantage of taxing driving is that it's hard for people to avoid the tax - but then that also makes it unpopular.

Definitely a problem, but probably not until the next but one Chancellor at least.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited November 2020
    Trump will likely hold Iowa and Ohio and now probably Arizona on the latest polls, I think North Carolina and Georgia and Texas will narrowly stay with him too in the end, Wisconsin and NE02 will likely go to Biden, Michigan probably too but Trump has a slim chance there and it will all come down to Florida and Pennsylvania as all the other Trump 2016 states will stay Trump and all the Hillary 2016 states will go to Biden
  • Options
    Has the PM just been on telling people up to 4000 people a day might die and across Europe cases are skyrocketing causing everywhere to lockdown due to a killer pandemic....maybe I just dreamt it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8899449/Halloween-revellers-hit-streets-Newcastle-city-remains-Tier-2-lockdown.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/13076624/drinkers-celebrate-halloween-national-lockdown/
  • Options

He wanted two weeks

Yeah, whatever.

Are you serious?

The point isn't Drakeford has made a massive error by only locking down for two weeks (although it may come to pass that two weeks was too short). The point is, Johnson claimed a full lockdown was counter productive and now because he has had to make a U-turn his lockdown has to be longer than it might have otherwise been, had he locked down earlier. Johnson's beef with the Welsh lockdown was it is 17 days too long- not two weeks too short!

Man, I can't cope with some of the utter nonsensical comments on here tonight. Good night!
    Boris certainly hasn't impressed.

But if Drakeford's two week lockdown turns out to be a failure then its likely that a two week lockdown in England would have also been a failure.

We will see how successful their choices have been.
  • Options

When the big switch to electric cars does happen there's a lot of missing tax revenue. An advantage of taxing driving is that it's hard for people to avoid the tax - but then that also makes it unpopular.

Definitely a problem, but probably not until the next but one Chancellor at least.
    Won't that be more than compensated for by a large reduction in imports? I mean, what will happen to the money that currently flows to Saudi Arabia etc for the oil imports?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Kudos to the Conservatives on here who are boiling in a rage tonight. It's a rare talent, and entertaining.
    It's been ten years of Conservative rule, you got a thumping majority less than a year ago, and here you are trying to blame someone -- anyone -- else. It's a great look.

I can't see any sign of anyone boiling with rage, having scrolled back through the thread to check. Is there really any point in generalised, content-free baiting posts like that?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I presume nobody told this idiot that Justin didn't win the popular vote in Canada either.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Presumably it would also have HM Queen as its head of state. Could be a runner.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

HYUFD said:
    That'd be about half of the 13 colonies back under the crown.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    edited November 2020
    This is the detail of what @Charles is defending.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/texas-drive-through-voting-throw-out-ballots.html
    ... Because Texas strictly limits mail-in voting, Harris County—which has a population of over 4.7 million people—has sought to make in-person voting safer during the pandemic. Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins, who runs the county’s elections, established 10 drive-thru voting locations for the 2020 general election. Drivers pull into a large tent, where election officials confirm their identity, then give them privacy to vote. The process has proved wildly popular.

Harris County raised the idea of drive-thru voting in June, and Texas Secretary of State Ruth Hughs promptly approved it. The county tested it in July and approved it in August. Yet Republicans did not contest drive-thru voting in court until Oct. 15, two days after the start of early voting. On that day, the Harris County Republican Party, joined by several GOP operatives, asked the Texas Supreme Court to halt drive-thru voting. The court, which is entirely Republican, refused, over a single dissent. Republicans then went back to the Texas Supreme Court, asking it to toss out every ballot cast via drive-thru voting. The court is currently considering that request, though it seems unlikely to side with the plaintiffs given its previous decision.

So Republicans ran to federal court....

The bad faith of Texas Republicans attempting to curtail voting in Democratic counties is utterly blatant.
    And their arguments, as the rest of the article described, preposterous.

Despite all of that, it’s entirely possible that Hanen, among the most partisan judges on the Federal bench, will rule for them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Cyclefree said:

Well, to complete the misery, I expect the Great Orange Pillock to win on Tuesday.

Night all.

Thank goodness I'm a Liverpool fan, or it'd have been a complete wash, frankly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

HYUFD said:
    Shouldn't it be called British North America in that case?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Kudos to the Conservatives on here who are boiling in a rage tonight. It's a rare talent, and entertaining.
    It's been ten years of Conservative rule, you got a thumping majority less than a year ago, and here you are trying to blame someone -- anyone -- else. It's a great look.

I can't see any sign of anyone boiling with rage, having scrolled back through the thread to check. Is there really any point in generalised, content-free baiting posts like that?
    Ah, that's good to hear. I thought I hadn't got the memo. :)
  • Options

Why? Taxing oil based fuel is just one way of taxing cars. Make electric cars report their mileage automatically and tax them on a per-mile basis.

There's a misconception that burning fossil fuel is the only thing wrong with cars. In fact however they run they are congesting, resource-intensive and generally undesirable. Tax em till the pips squeak.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I presume nobody told this idiot that Justin didn't win the popular vote in Canada either.
    Not even Ardern managed that, though she was close!

I'm more concerned that they don't seem to consider whether Canada would want such a plan, and whether they assume American Democrats and Canadian Liberals will definitely all agree on everything.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Night all.

As an Evertonian it really has been. Where is your humanity ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Hmm - Trump does seem to be ahead in the last few polls there, and this one has a respectable record, I believe. A point that doesn't seem to be made widely enough is one familiar to anyone who's done knock-up on election day: you simply don't get everyone out voting, no matter how many helpers you have. Stuff happens and 10-20% of the people who told you they'd definitely vote actually don't, because they've twisted an ankle or their sister isn't well or a hundred other reasons. Calculations that say "Biden has a 70-30 lead in the votes cast so far, but that will be balanced by Trump having 75-25 in the ones not yet cast" aren't really in the real world.
    Well, Biden probably isn't leading the early vote 70-30, and conservatives don't have as great a problem turning out voters than you may have experienced with Labour supporters.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Night all.

As an Evertonian it really has been. Where is your humanity ;)
    I have to make it last all year, like the spirit of Christmas, so I dole it out in small chunks.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm more concerned that they don't seem to consider whether Canada would want such a plan, and whether they assume American Democrats and Canadian Liberals will definitely all agree on everything.
    Important caveat. 31% of Canadian votes went to Parties to the Left of Justin's milquetoast bunch.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Won't that be more than compensated for by a large reduction in imports? I mean, what will happen to the money that currently flows to Saudi Arabia etc for the oil imports?
    I suppose it's possible that if that money stays in the UK economy and circulates a few times that it generates enough other tax revenue to replace the lost fuel duty.

But at present we have a lot of money leaving the country for renewables and electric vehicles, so I wouldn't be very confident about that happening.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    edited November 2020
    Trump is now more likely to win Iowa than Texas according to 538, as a result of the A+ rated Selzer poll showing Trump with a 7 point lead in the state.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    You could probably add Alberta and Saskatchewan to the red bit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ardern did win the popular vote, even if not over 50%.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Why? Taxing oil based fuel is just one way of taxing cars. Make electric cars report their mileage automatically and tax them on a per-mile basis.

There's a misconception that burning fossil fuel is the only thing wrong with cars. In fact however they run they are congesting, resource-intensive and generally undesirable. Tax em till the pips squeak.
    Yes, I was suggesting that a new way of taxing cars would be an obvious way forward, but introducing a new tax to do that would be unpopular.
  • Options

Mike - almost irrespective of the subject matter of a particular thread as indicated by the header, we have two enormous stories running side by side at present - the COVID-19 Crisis and the American POTUS Elections.
    To enable PBers to navigate the subject on which they wish to concentrate, please could you try to arrange things so that for the next four days or so we have two main threads running simultaneously with a request written in bold under each one requesting posters to confine themselves to the subject matter indicated by the thread header.

A worthy idea in theory, but trying to keep people on topic strikes me as anathema to the atmosphere. Simultaneously trying to follow discussion on Covid, the US elections, Brexit, Sindy, the merits of Thatcherism and the F1 results, is part of the fun. News sites are on topic.

And what poor bugger would enforce it? And what if a point is on how the COvid crisis has impacted the election, where would it be posted?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Frankly. Compared to most of the Internet, hardly anyone on here is even mildly irked.
    That's why I like it.
    But I accept its relative.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Well if Trump wins then the upper Midwest should be in Jesusland, and USC should cede Alberta too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ardern did win the popular vote, even if not over 50%.

Yes, you are right, I was getting mixed up by the tweet reference to a minority, which she just technically is, but Francis was only talking about popular vote, which won stonkingly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Important caveat. 31% of Canadian votes went to Parties to the Left of Justin's milquetoast bunch.
    It would also need conservative Alberta and Saskatchewen and Manitoba to be added to the remaining USA most likely to work
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2020

Countries that have succeeded in containing this virus tend to have two things in common: (1) they've closed or very tightly controlled their borders, and (2) they have aggressively suppressed the virus as soon as it's flared up, which has given space for track & trace to work. This is enforced with utter ruthlessness without any scruples whatsoever about liberal individualism.

The trouble with the UK is that to some extent we have economic issues with the former and political issues with the latter.

Japan definitely didn't enforce anything with utter ruthlessness without any scruples whatsoever about liberal individualism. Nobody was ever required to close anything down, the PM said the constitution doesn't allow them to do a lockdown, pachinko parlours continued to operate in defiance of requests from the central government and the governor of Tokyo, a wrestling event went ahead while the local governor stood outside pleading with them to stop, there were hotspots in brothels where one brothel had a serious covid outbreak, and not only did they continue operating, police declined to publicize the name of the plague-stricken brothel citing their right to privacy.

What is true is that they move *fast*: Closed schools, requested WFH, useful guidance on ventilation when we were at about 100 detected cases, not including the cruise ship.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    I wouldn't describe the fact that most western countries care about liberal individualism as "a problem".
  • Options

Countries that have succeeded in containing this virus tend to have two things in common: (1) they've closed or very tightly controlled their borders, and (2) they have aggressively suppressed the virus as soon as it's flared up, which has given space for track & trace to work. This is enforced with utter ruthlessness without any scruples whatsoever about liberal individualism.

The trouble with the UK is that to some extent we have economic issues with the former and political issues with the latter.

Japan definitely didn't enforce anything with utter ruthlessness without any scruples whatsoever about liberal individualism. Nobody was ever required to close anything down, the PM said the constitution doesn't allow them to do a lockdown, pachinko parlours continued to operate in defiance of requests from the central government and the governor of Tokyo, a wrestling event went ahead while the local governor stood outside pleading with them to stop, there were hotspots in brothels where one brothel had a serious covid outbreak, and not only did they continue operating, police declined to publicize the name of the plague-stricken brothel citing their right to privacy.

What is true is that they move *fast*: Closed schools, requested WFH, useful guidance on ventilation when we were at about 100 detected cases, not including the cruise ship.
    I know you'll argue that Japan is doing everything right, and aligning measures and precautions to the actual disease and without the apparent guesswork and mistargeting of transmission vectors that is going on in Europe etc. but even despite that, it's very difficult to believe that there isn't some sort of underlying immunity level that is driving what is going on in Asia. What do you think?

Or is it just that there are some very specific transmission sources that are somehow absent from Japanese and asian society, but are widespread throughout Europe and the Americas?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2020

Trump is still pulling in the crowds.

twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1322665222499434497
    twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1322678086454956035

Its like a killer global pandemic doesn't exist.....its just just unfathomable people's reaction.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Frankly. Compared to most of the Internet, hardly anyone on here is even mildly irked.
    That's why I like it.
    But I accept its relative.
    I once crushed a grape...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I remember that map from 2004.

Whoever tweeted it clearly doesn't have the electoral and/or technical knowledge to create an equivalent on the 2016 results.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is the detail of what @Charles is defending.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/texas-drive-through-voting-throw-out-ballots.html
    ... Because Texas strictly limits mail-in voting, Harris County—which has a population of over 4.7 million people—has sought to make in-person voting safer during the pandemic. Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins, who runs the county’s elections, established 10 drive-thru voting locations for the 2020 general election. Drivers pull into a large tent, where election officials confirm their identity, then give them privacy to vote. The process has proved wildly popular.

Harris County raised the idea of drive-thru voting in June, and Texas Secretary of State Ruth Hughs promptly approved it. The county tested it in July and approved it in August. Yet Republicans did not contest drive-thru voting in court until Oct. 15, two days after the start of early voting. On that day, the Harris County Republican Party, joined by several GOP operatives, asked the Texas Supreme Court to halt drive-thru voting. The court, which is entirely Republican, refused, over a single dissent. Republicans then went back to the Texas Supreme Court, asking it to toss out every ballot cast via drive-thru voting. The court is currently considering that request, though it seems unlikely to side with the plaintiffs given its previous decision.

So Republicans ran to federal court....

The bad faith of Texas Republicans attempting to curtail voting in Democratic counties is utterly blatant.
    And their arguments, as the rest of the article described, preposterous.

Despite all of that, it’s entirely possible that Hanen, among the most partisan judges on the Federal bench, will rule for them.

What's even more outrageous is that they are doing this after the process was agreed by a Republican secretary of State, and near unanimously by a 100% Republican State Supreme Court!
  • Options

Trump is still pulling in the crowds.

twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1322665222499434497
    twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1322678086454956035

Its like a killer global pandemic doesn't exist.....its just just unfathomable people's reaction.
    They get their information from social media sites where the pandemic does not exist.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I remember that map from 2004.

Whoever tweeted it clearly doesn't have the electoral and/or technical knowledge to create an equivalent on the 2016 results.
    Whoever tweet this (as you point out) outdated map is a Trumpskyite trying to sow fear, loathing & despondency among Democrats.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,034
    Scott_xP said:

His teeth are absolutely fucked. Why doesn't he get them fixed?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

His teeth are absolutely fucked. Why doesn't he get them fixed?
    No money.

Plus, what's wrong with a few wonky teeth?
This discussion has been closed.