Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The post debate betting moves just a touch to Trump – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New header
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    RobD said:

Vaccine news is good.

How have the Tories cocked up today, cases remain out of control.

Sorry if I missed it but what vaccine news?
    Bristol Uni studied the Oxford vaccine and have confirmed it appears to do what it is planned to do.
    (mega) gongs on standby for the team.
    Don't be absurd, there are party doners who haven't been rewarded yet. They are the true heroes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,318
    edited October 2020

NEW THREAD

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Vaccine news is good.

Bristol Uni studied the Oxford vaccine and have confirmed it appears to do what it is planned to do.
    (mega) gongs on standby for the team.
    Don't be absurd, there are party doners who haven't been rewarded yet. They are the true heroes.
    That is true. Without them we wouldn't be in power to give out the gongs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited October 2020

Feel that Tories haven't been c*nty enough this week? Benny B. is your man.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1319700277197479940?s=20

2017. "I want to shout about Mansfield!"
    2020. In all its illiterate, Crackden brothel filled loveliness!

On a serious note. If he is aware of minors in his constituency living in such a way, doesn't he have a legal duty to report it?
    And an ethical imperative to ensure it is followed up on swiftly and efficiently?
    He's only been the bloody MP for over 3 years.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337

This is utter madness as Amazon benefit and other online businesses

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1319705156938829826?s=09

The local community Facebook page is off the scale of anger

He is mad.

He’ll be blaming pixies for the unemployment next.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    That coupled with strong isolation measures would actually be a great way of getting levels down to basically zero.
    Yes; what we’ve been talking about.
    Zero might be optimistic, but not impossible if you persisted then with a focused track and trace effort.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

A truly great Republican President once described America as the shining city on the hill and urged that the best was yet to come. I don’t think that forcibly separating young kids from their parents in such a way as they cannot be reunited was what he had in mind.

This man is repulsive, revolting and repugnant. Enough, for god’s sake America, enough.

Er...I think that was Kennedy, and I’m 99% sure he was a Democrat.

Or are you referring to the time Reagan quoted Kennedy?
    Reagan said it repeatedly. He may well have been copying Kennedy who had the best speech writers of any President ever.
    And to think they criticised poor old Joe for quoting the great Kinnock ....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691

Vaccine news is good.

Make loads of money for AZ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moments like that make you wonder if politicians realise others can see their tweets, and what they hope to gain from using twitter.
    To be fair to Ben B, he recognised that there was a market for his shtick, and that market was enough to get him elected. I'm sure he thinks he has to keep on saying this stuff.

What he didn't realise was how dark that shtick got and how quickly. The problem of every shock jock ever.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,564

HYUFD said:

Some surprisingly harsh immigration views from Yougov even amongst Labour voters

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1319674553572917251?s=20

It might be a code for Romanian beggars (by which is meant gypsies).

I'm not sure views would be much different for British rough-sleepers who refuse support - although that would be to use magistrate orders to evict them and put them into emergency accommodation.
    Emergency accommodation where the drug pushers they are trying to avoid can find them more easily?
    The Romanian gangs quite often beat up the local rough sleepers to take over their pitches. Just had that happen the other day near me.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Slightly worrying data for Biden here, I think (see also the next tweet):

https://twitter.com/umichvoter99/status/1319656515070996480

This is what I picked up on Ralston's site re Nevada - haven't verified the numbers yet but bad for Biden if true

https://twitter.com/Jay44686912/status/1319651018859147264
    That's only in person early voting. Add in mail in votes and you have

220K Dems
    145K Republicans
    Clinton won Miami-Date by 290K votes. If IPEV stays at that ratio, and the Republicans turn out more on the day, then Biden is looking at a lot of lost votes he needs to recapture
    One thing that's really weird about the US is how slow the mail service is. I'm testing a print on demand service right now for my business. A postcard was mailed - First Class - from Minneapolis to my home last Wednesday. As of end Thursday (as in end yesterday) it still hadn't arrived.
    It’s one of the things that the UK is very good at, everywhere else I’ve ever lived has a rubbish postal system by comparison.

The British postal system has long been set up to achieve swift deliveries. Indeed in 19th Century London people expected same day delivery - correspondence “by return of post” - and central London in the 1880s had twelve deliveries daily to achieve this. Even when I started in the City of London sorting office in the 1980s, the local element of the morning collection was targetted internally for delivery with that day’s second delivery, even though this wasn’t considered reliable enough to advertise.
    In the day's before email, there was a market for that - in big cities if you posted by midday you might get it to the recipient by 5pm and get your own response by 5pm the next day (so 24-30 hour turnarounds).
    I guess the issue for the US is the reverse; because of its size, a speedy delivery standard has never been achievable, and I’d imagine in the early days it must have taken an age to get mail across the states, or indeed to get mail out to remote settlements within a state, this improving as transport slowly improved. Whereas in our case the standards achievable during the same era when the Wild West was being won were actually better than today’s.
    Yes, that's fair. I suppose it would explain an extra day or two. It shouldn't explain away an extra week.

And, lots of similar sized countries to the UK aren't as good either.

Maybe this is one thing we've got right?
    When I started it was a complex and fascinating network, and the circulation team at headquarters were something else - they had an encyclopaedic knowledge of transport routings and could tell you from memory where a letter from, say, Exeter to Norwich would be at any time along its journey. We used road, rail, air and sea, had a whole series of intermediate vouching offices across the country each aggregating and disaggregating mail en route, sorted mail on trains and collected and dropped it off along the way, often without the trains having to stop, and had our own underground railway beneath London linking all the main sorting offices and railway stations.

Sadly it’s now a lot more boring, if more controllable, with everything going into one of sixty large sorting centres and lorries going by road from each to each of the others. Aside from selective use of internal flights, that’s it.
    Best bit was the nightmail crossing the border and throwing off bags into nets and catching them from catenary pegs.

I loved that.
    Although if the train didn’t slow down enough, the catching post could get horribly mangled. And the posties would have to open the door in the dead of night and stand there in the freezing wind waiting for the right moment to put out the bag. They certainly weren’t sad to see the system go.

The incoming bag came in so fast it would kill you, if you got in its way. Wouldn’t be allowed nowadays anyway.
  • Options
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

I’ve got my new iPhone 12 Pro. Let me tell you it’s boss

You’ve let it take over your life already, Horse? That sounds rather Siri.
    Never had an iPhone.

Still don't understand why people would want one, unless they aspire to be fashion victims, advertising executives or car salesmen.
    When I was an advertising executive there was no such thing as an iPhone. I think I had a couple of classic Nokias - 5110 then 3310. And an HP iPaq 3630 to fiddle with whilst on the bus home.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kle4 said:

Moments like that make you wonder if politicians realise others can see their tweets, and what they hope to gain from using twitter.
    To be fair to Ben B, he recognised that there was a market for his shtick, and that market was enough to get him elected. I'm sure he thinks he has to keep on saying this stuff.

What he didn't realise was how dark that shtick got and how quickly. The problem of every shock jock ever.
    If I were Boris I think I would be pretty happy with this stuff going on at the moment, on the basis that the goose being cooked is Rishi Sunak's.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

A truly great Republican President once described America as the shining city on the hill and urged that the best was yet to come. I don’t think that forcibly separating young kids from their parents in such a way as they cannot be reunited was what he had in mind.

This man is repulsive, revolting and repugnant. Enough, for god’s sake America, enough.

Er...I think that was Kennedy, and I’m 99% sure he was a Democrat.

Or are you referring to the time Reagan quoted Kennedy?
    Reagan said it repeatedly. He may well have been copying Kennedy who had the best speech writers of any President ever.
    "City on A hill" is definitely associated more with Ronald Reagan than JFK.

As for any plagiarism, note Jesus used this tern of phrase in the Sermon on the Mount.

Where HE stole it from, I cannot tell you.
    I’m tempted to say God knows but I won’t.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    ydoethur said:

This is utter madness as Amazon benefit and other online businesses

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1319705156938829826?s=09

The local community Facebook page is off the scale of anger

He is mad.

He’ll be blaming pixies for the unemployment next.
    As long as no one blames him he really won’t care.
This discussion has been closed.