Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden backers unruffled by the overnight VP debate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Allegra Stratton new Downing Street Press Secretary

Ex Newsnight! Another example of the BBC being full of blinkin' lefties!
    And was with the Guardian at one time

Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb, Guto Hari, Allegra Stratton, Jeremy Paxman, John Humphreys, Nick Robinson ...

We have been fed this propaganda about left-wing bias in the broadcast media for years, but all the evidence strongly indicates that if any party has a grip on newsrooms it's the Tories.
    Yep, "lefty BBC" is utter nonsense. What there is is a cultural bias towards enlightened metropolitan liberalism. As there should be, since the national broadcaster should seek to reflect the best of the nation.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Scott_xP said:
    That would explain the Excel stuff I suppose - accountants live, eat, sleep and breathe Excel.
    It also explains why it's costing Billions as 1000 people on £2000+ a day rapidly adds up
  • Options

Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb, Guto Hari, Allegra Stratton, Jeremy Paxman, John Humphreys, Nick Robinson ...

We have been fed this propaganda about left-wing bias in the broadcast media for years, but all the evidence strongly indicates that if any party has a grip on newsrooms it's the Tories.

I'll raise you Clarence Mitchell and BBC Radio Norfolk's Nick (keep your knickers on) Conrad.
    And what about Andrew Neil and Laura K?

BBC DG Tim Davie is an exTory councillor too.
    Tim Davie is a nob end.

He wants to persecute the grandchild of immigrants who did well academically (and in life generally.)

Just imagine if people did the same to the working class kids.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Scott_xP said:
    That would explain the Excel stuff I suppose - accountants live, eat, sleep and breathe Excel.

They are not accountants though are they, just 'consultants'?

Which usually translates as 'wet behind the ears graduates who are willing to work long hours, often not at all productively'.
    My wife is a consultant, graduated 10 years ago!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Warwick University being the University of Coventry, right?

Two different Uni's. Coventry, as one might expect is a bit more techie than Warwick.
    Oh I wasn’t talking about Coventry University. I was merely making a hilarious point about how Warwick University is in Coventry and not in Warwick.
    Sorry; missed! However it's just outside actually, although the post code is Coventry. It's in WarwickSHIRE, of course.
    Some of the campus is in Warwickshire, most of it is actually in Coventry. ;)

Only if you accept Coventry isn't in Warwickshire. My father-in-law never did!

What about Sutton Coldfield being part of Birmingham?
    Sutton Coldfield is just a poor man's Solihull.
  • Options
    Typical Tories only hiring left wing journalists
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

To be honest I think it is an excellent appointment and she will become the best known UK journalist in short order
    Na, she's an iPad bimbo. lol
    I really cannot understand why Scott made that comment other than he fears she may be very good at it

It does not excuse his misogyny
    The "Relaying other people's twitter comments" market is a dog eat dog environment with no room for niceties
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Two different Uni's. Coventry, as one might expect is a bit more techie than Warwick.
    Oh I wasn’t talking about Coventry University. I was merely making a hilarious point about how Warwick University is in Coventry and not in Warwick.
    Sorry; missed! However it's just outside actually, although the post code is Coventry. It's in WarwickSHIRE, of course.

I was one of the select few (among those living in uni halls) to be living in Warwickshire. Unfortunately, the Warwickshire halls were among the scraggiest on campus :disappointed:

On my open day visit, well before sat-navs, my father mistakenly turned off at the signs for Warwick, which, needless to say is quite some distance away.
  • Options
    Maybe the BBC isn't leftie biased at all and it's just a weird conspiracy theory.

I note this came up when the Tories took over, funny that
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

I'll raise you Clarence Mitchell and BBC Radio Norfolk's Nick (keep your knickers on) Conrad.

Tim Davie is a nob end.

He wants to persecute the grandchild of immigrants who did well academically (and in life generally.)

I am choking up just thinking about your predicament TSE.

Personally, I'd ban Oxbridge graduates from all top government jobs - maybe allowing a few exceptions after 25 years or so. Given the way the country is run now it couldn't do any harm.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    The roof of our conservatory is now covered in hailstones. That was sudden.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

I remember when Birmingham was in the County of Warwickshire.

Born a Silhillian, I have Warwickshire on my birth certificate and a Bear and Ragged Staff birthmark on my forehead!
  • Options
    That group might have more credibility if it didn't have Carole conspiracy involved.
  • Options

You only just beat me to 10,000 posts, Horse. Well done. :D
  • Options
    Selebian said:

I was one of the select few (among those living in uni halls) to be living in Warwickshire. Unfortunately, the Warwickshire halls were among the scraggiest on campus :disappointed:

On my open day visit, well before sat-navs, my father mistakenly turned off at the signs for Warwick, which, needless to say is quite some distance away.
    Did you enjoy your time there? It is on my son's list. We intended to go this summer for the Open Day but that was all cancelled unfortunately. The virtual day didn't tell us much about what it was like to live there. He wants to do PPE with an emphasis on the E where Warwick is clearly very strong.
  • Options

Born a Silhillian, I have Warwickshire on my birth certificate and a Bear and Ragged Staff birthmark on my forehead!
    I still can't get my head around Manchester not being in Lancashire these days.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited October 2020
    He's obviously confident that Trump is going to lose then.
  • Options

Maybe the BBC isn't leftie biased at all and it's just a weird conspiracy theory.

Not really, it's been an issue for ages. The old champagne corks popping in 1997 comes to mind.

Anyway, I don't think the BBC has a lefty bias, I think it has a liberal one. Might sound like splitting hairs but there is a difference. It's why the likes of Osborne were ok with it despite him being a pretty powerful Tory MP and why it gets a lot of criticism from the old left.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That group might have more credibility if it didn't have Carole conspiracy involved.
    Is that right that she has won the Orwell prize for her story about Cambridge Analytica in the same week it was judged to be false?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Midlands hospitalisations:
    At 15% of previous peak (seen 30/3-5/4)
    Increasing by 16% week on week (R=1.09)
    Trajectory would lead to exceeding previous peak for 25-31/12.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited October 2020

The left should be delighted when the Tories scrap the licence fee then.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

They are not accountants though are they, just 'consultants'?

Which usually translates as 'wet behind the ears graduates who are willing to work long hours, often not at all productively'.
    My wife is a consultant, graduated 10 years ago!
    Lol! - none intended :wink:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not really, it's been an issue for ages. The old champagne corks popping in 1997 comes to mind.

Anyway, I don't think the BBC has a lefty bias, I think it has a liberal one. Might sound like splitting hairs but there is a difference. It's why the likes of Osborne were ok with it despite him being a pretty powerful Tory MP and why it gets a lot of criticism from the old left.
    I don't recall the Tories going on the news and telling us how leftie biased the BBC was when New Labour were in power
  • Options

Tim Davie is a nob end.

Personally, I'd ban Oxbridge graduates from all top government jobs - maybe allowing a few exceptions after 25 years or so. Given the way the country is run now it couldn't do any harm.
    Just ban Oxford graduates and employ Cambridge graduates, I mean just look at the number of Nobel laureates the University of Cambridge has compared to the dump.

Best PM we never had, Ken Clarke of Gonville and Caius.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    murali_s said:

Some good news for @LadyG and others (only if a weather nerd), ECMWF has opened up most of their forecast maps and tools for free (previously a very hefty subscription).

https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/

Indeed. The Met Office is about to get £1bn or so for a new shiny Cray. Who will they be able sell their data to?

The time is coming when they'll have to follow suit and just release the lot.

It has always been a bit odd the way the US deals with data acquired with public money and the way we deal with it. You'd have thought it would have been the US putting a price on everything, but it isn't. The Met Office and the Ordnance Survey are the two dinosaurs here...

• Options

MaxPB said:

I don't recall the Tories going on the news and telling us how leftie biased the BBC was when New Labour were in power
    You recall wrong, in that case.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

And the white ball cricket teams are the Birmingham Bears. Red ball is Warwickshire. All play at Edgbaston, of course.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Facebook feels like a pretty sinister company to me but then I'm not a user. Even its compatriot corporations seem to offer more.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

To be fair, it was quite a while ago.
  • Options

And -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RpZsm-8pbU

:smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

Yes, the people that moan about BBC bias tend to be from the right and the left but not the centre. This is often talked of as them "getting it right" because they are upsetting people from both sides (although the centre is a side really as well, so "both" is not actually correct)

• Options
    Great so instead of Civil Servants we now have overpriced consultants from Deloitte running the country.

Public sector bad, private sector good.

When it's private sector, Government money go brrr
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Surely you can give examples
  • Options

Great so instead of Civil Servants we now have overpriced consultants from Deloitte running the country.

Same can be said for the NHS, which is just a black hole when it comes to government money.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    The outliers are coming thick and fast.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Pulpstar said:
    I'm looking forward to day Utah shows a small lead for Biden!
  • Options
    I remember Alastair Campbell going off on the BBC for being anti-Iraq, not really a pro-Tory point since the Tories were also for Iraq. Well until it was unpopular then they were against
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    kinabalu said:

And -

Growing up, my parents had a Hot Chocolate LP in their record collection, with a malteser in a woman's mouth on the cover. I always assumed it was meant to represent Errol Brown's bald head
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A quarter of a century is a long time in politics.
  • Options

The private sector scaled testing from 0 to 200k in a few months. It has been very successful in that, even with a huge lack of leadership from July onwards. In the same period of time the NHS has scaled from 10k to 90k, they've both had blank cheques written for PCR testing.

The NHS has failed to bring up capacity to the expected level to test all staff at least once per week which was the original remit and the people from Deloitte are taking he blame for it because NHS staff testing caused a huge capacity crunch.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

Trump shoots himself jn the foot on a daily basis

No way back
  • Options
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Scott_xP said:
    Had a conversation with a consultant this week (wife's colleague) who was mocking the government cock-up with Excel. Discussing further, what she was mocking was that she couldn't believe that anyone would be silly enough to use an old version/the old file format. Didn't see any problem at all with using Excel for this purpose. My mind was well and truly boggled.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

No way back
    The armed militias, Republican state legislatures and the Supreme Court disagree!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

kjh said:

kjh said:

I predict a great rebellion in the North in the next week.

The question is will Boris Johnson engage in the 'Harrying of the North'?

That Southern Jessie won't know what will hit him.

The figures Sky are talking about just now are terrible and urgent action is required including an economic package for hospitality

Those on the right who want a herd immunity strategy are vastly outnumbered by those who want tighter regulation and on this Boris is nearer public opinion than ERG and others
    Those on triple locked pensions who will never have to pay taxes again are very free with their 'economic packages' I notice///
    As an elderly pensioner I do not support the triple lock in this crisis

For us to receive a 2.5% pension increase next year is wrong and I hope Rishi reduces it or stops it
    If the state pension was at a higher figure I would agree. But whether intended or not, this is a simple way of slowly getting it to a more acceptable proportion of the average wage.
    State Pension is already double what you get on Universal Credit.
    I don't think that negates the argument though. We are certainly on the low side compared to most European countries and for those with no other income it is very basic without the addition of other benefits.
    I don't disagree but UC is half of 'very basic'.
    Agree. I can only get annoyed about a certain number of things at any one time. :)
  • Options
    17.5k cases reported.
  • Options
    I'm still not confident Trump will lose.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

Marr sums up the issue,

As Andrew Marr observed some years ago: “The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It’s a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities, and gay people. It has a liberal bias, not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias.”

Its why any idea of Brexit being popular is totally misunderstood, why any suggestion of limits on immigration get shouted down as racist, why public sector solutions get more welcoming hearing and why there is an abundance of things like pro LGBT+ articles on the news pages.
  • Options
    That is a hell of a lot of outliers.

MoE?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

17.5k cases reported.

Still on the up then.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

murali_s said:

Some good news for @LadyG and others (only if a weather nerd), ECMWF has opened up most of their forecast maps and tools for free (previously a very hefty subscription).

https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/

Indeed. The Met Office is about to get £1bn or so for a new shiny Cray. Who will they be able sell their data to?

The time is coming when they'll have to follow suit and just release the lot.

It has always been a bit odd the way the US deals with data acquired with public money and the way we deal with it. You'd have thought it would have been the US putting a price on everything, but it isn't. The Met Office and the Ordnance Survey are the two dinosaurs here...
    I'm in favour of open data, and I'd like to see Met Office data made freely available. The problem is making sure it's still paid for in some way.

At the moment the Met Office raises a lot of money by selling services to commercial customers, and this subsidises the cost of its forecasts. If they start giving away that data they will lose a lot of that income. If it's not replaced then they won't be able to continue to make improvements to their forecasts.

It's probably one reason why the Met Office forecasts are better than the American ones.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

No way back
    The armed militias, Republican state legislatures and the Supreme Court disagree!
    Indeed but the result will see Biden win 'Bigly', what follows is another matter
  • Options

It all depends on how one defines abstracts like "win" and "lose".
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    DavidL said:

The roof of our conservatory is now covered in hailstones. That was sudden.

Yep, you're red to magenta on the Met Office weather radar ...
  • Options

I am and he will
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    MaxPB said:

17.5k cases reported.

Lockdown a coming.

Phased Lockdown I assume it'll be called, since they don't want nationwide again but the North will moan if it alone gets locked down.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A quarter of a century is a long time in politics.
    Its roughly the time between qualified and suitable to be President and getting the nomination on current evidence.
  • Options

I think you'll have to wait until January to be sure.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

No way back
    Indeed but the result will see Biden win 'Bigly', what follows is another matter
    If Trump only "wins" by having SCOTUS confirming states overturning election results he will be a very, very angry President come January 20th.
  • Options

I share the concern.

As has been said elsewhere, a narrow Biden victory may not be enough. I just hope that one of these double-digit lead polls turns out to be spot on; it will be much harder for the GOP to cheat there way out of a landslide defeat.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, the people that moan about BBC bias tend to be from the right and the left but not the centre. This is often talked of as them "getting it right" because they are upsetting people from both sides (although the centre is a side really as well, so "both" is not actually correct)

The BBCs problem is trying to present balanced arguments which rely on contributors being both capable of articulating their point and the audience turning off in disgust because they don’t like the first contribution. I remember when they had to get Tim Martin on to defend brexit impact on automotive industry because they couldn’t get an industry spokesman willing to do it.
  • Options

I remember Alastair Campbell going off on the BBC for being anti-Iraq, not really a pro-Tory point since the Tories were also for Iraq. Well until it was unpopular then they were against

Well the Tories were pro-Iraq after believing the "attack in 45 minutes" intelligence report that turned out to be completely fabricated.
  • Options

You should be. What's his offer this time? He doesn't have one. He is thrashing about with you will all get free untested super drugs yesterday, today I will spend loads of the military, he hasn't found a rallying call like last time.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

Is that right that she has won the Orwell prize for her story about Cambridge Analytica in the same week it was judged to be false?
    To be fair, Orwell was a skilled writer of fiction, too.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Marr sums up the issue,

As Andrew Marr observed some years ago: “The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It’s a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities, and gay people. It has a liberal bias, not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias.”

Its why any idea of Brexit being popular is totally misunderstood, why any suggestion of limits on immigration get shouted down as racist, why public sector solutions get more welcoming hearing and why there is an abundance of things like pro LGBT+ articles on the news pages.
    Yep, I thought that was fair. It is also an explanation about why they were always a lot more obsessed about mortgage rates than savings rates, back in the day when interest was a thing.
  • Options

I share the concern.

As has been said elsewhere, a narrow Biden victory may not be enough. I just hope that one of these double-digit lead polls turns out to be spot on; it will be much harder for the GOP to cheat there way out of a landslide defeat.
    A Biden landslide might not be enough!
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

And -

Growing up, my parents had a Hot Chocolate LP in their record collection, with a malteser in a woman's mouth on the cover. I always assumed it was meant to represent Errol Brown's bald head
    Can't be ruled out, that's for sure. The only band to have a top 20 UK single in every year of the 1970s. The very definition of consistency.
  • Options
    I'm still astonished that the Government and Baroness Harding weren't expecting an increase in cases with the return to school and universities.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Tim Davie is a nob end.

Just ban Oxford graduates and employ Cambridge graduates, I mean just look at the number of Nobel laureates the University of Cambridge has compared to the dump.

You can also add Michael Portillo, Michael Howard and Rab Butler as Cambridge educated best PMs we never had, though on the other side we also had Cambridge educated Deputy PM Nick Clegg
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

And -

Can't be ruled out, that's for sure. The only band to have a top 20 UK single in every year of the 1970s. The very definition of consistency.
    The soundtrack to my teenage years.
  • Options

I'm still astonished that the Government and Baroness Harding weren't expecting an increase in cases with the return to school and universities.

Was that the case? I thought it was the scale which took them by surprise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Marr sums up the issue,

Yep, I thought that was fair. It is also an explanation about why they were always a lot more obsessed about mortgage rates than savings rates, back in the day when interest was a thing.
    What is this "interest" of which you speak?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited October 2020

I now think he will, this is beginning to have the feel of 1980 for the Trump campaign, just with Biden as Reagan and Trump as President Carter.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    Both Sky, BBC and The Piers Moron Show are guilty of this, increasingly they invite people on with very extreme views and then claim balance. So you get the Churchill was nothing but a racist vs Churchill never did a single thing wrong shout-athon.

We are seeing it now with COVID, we have the lockdown absolutists vs the likes of Gupta or Sikora getting an incredible amount of airtime.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

And -

Is that so? Impressive

My other abiding memory of them is my mate casually singing "You were only sixteen and I had just turned forty-three..." when "It started with a Kiss" was playing on a ski trip about 25 years ago
  • Options
    RobD said:

Their assumption was that children (!) and university students would engage in social distancing.
  • Options

You can say that with the benefit of hindsight of course. Like the Spanish Inquisition nobody expected children to not socially distance and students to party.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    MaxPB said:

17.5k cases reported.

Christ. Lockdown Redux here we come
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

No way back
    Big call from you, Big G. The certainty is a bit off-brand. Like it. Like it a lot.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

No way back
    If Trump only "wins" by having SCOTUS confirming states overturning election results he will be a very, very angry President come January 20th.
    Trump back out above 3 this afternoon.
  • Options

RobD said:

Their assumption was that children (!) and university students would engage in social distancing.
    I was surprised by the ONS figures suggesting there hasn't been any increase in the number of children getting it, at the infamous press conference the other week. Are those numbers wrong, or outdated?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

17.5k cases reported.

Christ. Lockdown Redux here we come
    yippee ki yay mfers....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim Davie is a nob end.

You can also add Michael Portillo, Michael Howard and Rab Butler as Cambridge educated best PMs we never had, though on the other side we also had Cambridge educated Deputy PM Nick Clegg
    How's about some more prime ministers that didn't go to Oxford or Cambridge. Preferably one that's had a proper job that wasn't as a lawyer or in banking.
  • Options
    At what point do Republican candidates for Congress accept that Trump is dragging them down and jump ship & denounce him?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

I now think he will, this is beginning to have the feel of Carter 1980 for the Trump campaign, just with Biden as Reagan and Trump as Carter.

And the virus as the Iranians holding the nation hostage before an impotent President. ...although I'm not sure Biden is channeling funding to the virus via Central American insurgents.
    Although stranger things have happened this year, I suppose.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    I was at Kings X tube about two hours ago. Counted four non maskers. Two builders, a very stylish black girl, and a old man.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

RobD said:

How?

I know its obvious but children need to be crammed into classrooms and your typical student doesn't live in a massive house with plenty of spare space.
  • Options

Baroness Harding didn't expect a data breach at TalkTalk either.
  • Options

RobD said:

I think your explanation mark is in the wrong place. In my experience social distancing is exactly the opposite of what most students have in mind.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

MaxPB said:

Marr sums up the issue,

That is an excellent observation. It is also probably why none of their non-science presenters whom I assume are all from the humanities seem completely nonplussed by anything scientific.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I now think he will, this is beginning to have the feel of Carter 1980 for the Trump campaign, just with Biden as Reagan and Trump as Carter.

And the virus as the Iranians...although I'm not sure Biden is funding the virus via Central American insurgents.
    Although stranger things have happened this year, I suppose.
    That's another QAnon conspiracy you have just started there!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I was surprised by the ONS figures suggesting there hasn't been any increase in the number of children getting it, at the infamous press conference the other week. Are those numbers wrong, or outdated?
    I don't think the ONS figures have been superseded.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tim Davie is a nob end.

How's about some more prime ministers that didn't go to Oxford or Cambridge. Preferably one that's had a proper job that wasn't as a lawyer or in banking.
    How about the "Postie"?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:
    It is over

No way back
    Big call from you, Big G. The certainty is a bit off-brand. Like it. Like it a lot.
    I do tend to trust my instinct and on this it is saying 100% Trump is toast

And we can all breath a sigh of relief
This discussion has been closed.