Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden backers unruffled by the overnight VP debate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

66 of the 98 cases were under 30, so almost certainly had mild or no symptom illness.

Possibly.
    https://twitter.com/WvSchaik/status/1314124839125385217
    As far as I can see from the article, one student has had a case bad enough to be in ICU.
    Given that the previous argument was no one under 30 was suffering any real symptoms its nice to see the argument has changed slightly.
    Only a 1 in 50 chance of ending up in the ICU!
    Must be less than that, considering there has been a further 1600 cases amongst students in Newcastle in the past week, on top of the 700 odd last week.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,018
    HYUFD said:

Warwick University being the University of Coventry, right?

Yes. It's clearly a dump as it was only founded in the 1960s, it's not as old as a former poly.
    The University of Coventry only became a University in 1992 and Warwick was ranked the 9th best university in the UK last year by the Times out of 126.

https://www.ukuni.net/articles/uk-university-times-ranking-2020

I know as a Liberal Democrat voting snob only Cambridge counts for you but there are other universities too beyond the Dreaming spires
    Don't forget Coventry is noted for its spires too!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,127

I predict a great rebellion in the North in the next week.

The question is will Boris Johnson engage in the 'Harrying of the North'?

That Southern Jessie won't know what will hit him.

The figures Sky are talking about just now are terrible and urgent action is required including an economic package for hospitality

Those on the right who want a herd immunity strategy are vastly outnumbered by those who want tighter regulation and on this Boris is nearer public opinion than ERG and others
    Biologically we can't avoid herd immunity. We either get it disproportionately among the younger and fitter or we spread it evenly across the population. In the 2nd. case, more people die.

This was the cause of the Great Barrington Declaration (of the bleeding obvious.) Because it's led by professors from three leading universities, i.e. Oxford, Harvard and Stanford, BBC R4 news covered it.

Also I'm not of the right and I object to the idea that party politics has anything to do with it. It's about empirical evidence on how best to minimise deaths and get back to life as normal.
    And it is not where the public are

'Do not kill Granny' is a very powerful slogan
    Barrington expressly says that the vulnerable should be shielded.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

66 of the 98 cases were under 30, so almost certainly had mild or no symptom illness.

Possibly.
    As far as I can see from the article, one student has had a case bad enough to be in ICU.
    Given that the previous argument was no one under 30 was suffering any real symptoms its nice to see the argument has changed slightly.
    Must be less than that, considering there has been a further 1600 cases amongst students in Newcastle in the past week, on top of the 700 odd last week.
    My bad, I was going from the 66 number quoted previously.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,872
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

SKS siding with the farmers who put giant "Vote Conservative" placards in their fields at election time.

That's my membership card in the bin.

(Joking)

I think SKS is being quite canny here. Yes, he's siding with the farmers. But he's also siding with all the people who eat food. Which is really quite a lot of people.....
    It is often said that the diet preferred by social groups c2s and ds is nutritionally speaking s***. When chlorinated chicken from the USA becomes available, they might be less than pleased to discover they are actually eating genuine excrement.
    Have you ever been to the US?

People aren't eating excrement there, the hysteria over chlorinated chicken is absolutely absurd.
    I know we have gone around this loop a hundred times but the issue with chlorinated chicken is not the quality of the meat but the welfare standards that require the chlorination.
    But the nail never quite goes all the way in so you need to keep at it. Day after day after day you hammer. Such is the essence of an internet politics forum.
    Yes, the argument that in 150 years time will sound like

"MY slaves sleep on the finest luxury mattresses, if we do a deal with that horrific fellow, they'll be sleeping on straw!"
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited October 2020

Two different Uni's. Coventry, as one might expect is a bit more techie than Warwick.
    Oh I wasn’t talking about Coventry University. I was merely making a hilarious point about how Warwick University is in Coventry and not in Warwick.
    Sorry; missed! However it's just outside actually, although the post code is Coventry. It's in WarwickSHIRE, of course.
    Some of the campus is in Warwickshire, most of it is actually in Coventry. ;)

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,797
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

RobD said:
    7 day rolling average admissions on NE&Y up 51% on the week. (R=1.25).

On this trajectory it would top the previous 7 day regional admissions level (1-7/4) on 29/10. I suspect, though, with a different Yorkshire (more) Vs NE (less) split (iirc, I think NHS wise this covers Cumbria too).
    To clarify - the 7 day rolling average NE&Y hospital admissions for 21-27/10 would exceed the previous high of 1-7/4 on current trajectory. (2 days sooner than I stated as last data was for 5/10 and I'd originally counted from yesterday).

On the same measure 7 day average NW hospital admissions increased by 58% last week (R=1.30), an on trajectory would exceed the previous high (again from 1-7/4) by 17-23/10.

Final comparison, London 16x lower than its peak admissions (30/3-5/4), increased by 14% last week, so on that trajectory would not exceed until March. Of course, with a low exponent over such a long time, the margin of error here is considerably more than for an event just over 2 weeks away.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    MrEd said:

I mentioned this a few days back as a real possibility why Cunningham might be f*cked in the NC Senate race and it looks like it is now happening:

https://eu.fayobserver.com/story/news/2020/10/07/army-investigating-senate-candidate-cal-cunningham-following-reports-affair/5909297002/

Have you taken into account the story that broke yesterday of Till's wife suing for divorce citing "cruel and unusual punishment"?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020

The figures Sky are talking about just now are terrible and urgent action is required including an economic package for hospitality

Those on the right who want a herd immunity strategy are vastly outnumbered by those who want tighter regulation and on this Boris is nearer public opinion than ERG and others
    Biologically we can't avoid herd immunity. We either get it disproportionately among the younger and fitter or we spread it evenly across the population. In the 2nd. case, more people die.

This was the cause of the Great Barrington Declaration (of the bleeding obvious.) Because it's led by professors from three leading universities, i.e. Oxford, Harvard and Stanford, BBC R4 news covered it.

Also I'm not of the right and I object to the idea that party politics has anything to do with it. It's about empirical evidence on how best to minimise deaths and get back to life as normal.

But the vulnerable rely upon the healthy so its implausible.

Realistically more grannies are going to die if we don't contain the virus.

Also realistically all grannies die eventually.

There has to be a balancing act but lets not pretend any option is cost free.
  • I predict a great rebellion in the North in the next week.

Locked away for months or even years

Out of sight out of mind for Granny

If Granny relies upon care she can't be out of sight, out of mind.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,001

We can add Warwick University to the list of third rate unis.

https://twitter.com/David_Batty/status/1314192823974064130

Is it defamation to suggest someone had a lesbian relationship?
    I think it's defamatory to suggest someone had a relationship with a Nazi death camp guard.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Stocky said:

Those on triple locked pensions who will never have to pay taxes again are very free with their 'economic packages' I notice///
    As an elderly pensioner I do not support the triple lock in this crisis

For us to receive a 2.5% pension increase next year is wrong and I hope Rishi reduces it or stops it
    How about a 5 per cent cut?

Seeing as many are losing their livelihoods completely?
    I`d do it through income tax rate bands. At present, income over £50k taxed at 40%. Introduce different bandings for 65+ so that, for example, 40% starts at £30k. And extend NI regime past retirement age.
    Sorry ou OT by accident I’d take one or the other but both.....
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Boom. Looks like State Aid will be wrapped up in next week and then there'll be a political call on fish very late doors. We should be ok.

"One EU source said that Mr Barnier had told diplomats: “Maintaining the status quo in UK waters will not be feasible. So the most concerned member states will need to explore room to move towards the UK in terms of quota allocation; provided the UK meets the EU on governance and state aid.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/johnson-ready-to-make-concessions-to-eu-says-official-zqmlf5r9v

This fills me with dread. I'm going to reserve judgement until we know what kind of agreement has been struck on the LPF, if it's anything like what the EU were asking for then I'll probably join whichever party pops up to abrogate the trade treaty.
    If its what the EU were originally asking for it is absolutely unacceptable.

If its closer to what we agreed with the Japanese that is eminently agreeable.

The EU and the CJEU can not be the arbiters of it. Any arbitration must be neutral.
    I hope you are horrified by the deal
    What a petty attitude.
    I think you misunderstand the comment, which simply means that nichomar’s wishes for a settlement are very different from Philip’s.
    Any sensible person would be horrified by the Tories position and the shambolic way they have handled this debacle.
    Welcome back, malcolm !
    (A trifle belatedly.)
    Thank you Nigel

If Granny relies upon care she can't be out of sight, out of mind.
    Of course she cannot and the idea it will gain public support is for the birds

Just try and explain it to our grandchildren
  • malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Boom. Looks like State Aid will be wrapped up in next week and then there'll be a political call on fish very late doors. We should be ok.

"One EU source said that Mr Barnier had told diplomats: “Maintaining the status quo in UK waters will not be feasible. So the most concerned member states will need to explore room to move towards the UK in terms of quota allocation; provided the UK meets the EU on governance and state aid.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/johnson-ready-to-make-concessions-to-eu-says-official-zqmlf5r9v

This fills me with dread. I'm going to reserve judgement until we know what kind of agreement has been struck on the LPF, if it's anything like what the EU were asking for then I'll probably join whichever party pops up to abrogate the trade treaty.
    If its what the EU were originally asking for it is absolutely unacceptable.

If its closer to what we agreed with the Japanese that is eminently agreeable.

The EU and the CJEU can not be the arbiters of it. Any arbitration must be neutral.
    I hope you are horrified by the deal
    What a petty attitude.
    I think you misunderstand the comment, which simply means that nichomar’s wishes for a settlement are very different from Philip’s.
    Any sensible person would be horrified by the Tories position and the shambolic way they have handled this debacle.
    Welcome back, malcolm !
    (A trifle belatedly.)
    Thank you Nigel
    And from me Malc
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893

Two different Uni's. Coventry, as one might expect is a bit more techie than Warwick.
    Oh I wasn’t talking about Coventry University. I was merely making a hilarious point about how Warwick University is in Coventry and not in Warwick.
    Sorry; missed! However it's just outside actually, although the post code is Coventry. It's in WarwickSHIRE, of course.

You win! I used to have go to meetings on the Warwick Campus at one stage, too!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,031

kinabalu said:

Sounds like a mis-step from the Donald, but I note Sporting Index has backtracked a couple of points. Biden ECVs now down to 314/320. Anyone think why?

Maybe the voters liked the fly.......

Perhaps just in response to money. They were getting close to our magic 100 sell price on supremacy. Was 94 now 92.
    I suspect so. I came close to following my own advice this morning and selling half my stake, just to lock in a healthy profit. Glad I didn't now in view of Trump's announcement. Feels like a mahoosive mistake to me.
    He looks done and the BIG landslide is imo a 25% possibility.

I'm not closing any of my supremacy having thought about it, tempting though it is to take a chunky actual cash profit now.

Instead I'm doing some partial hedging. Sold Biden on the SPIN -110 handicap. Backed Trump on exchange for 270 - 329 ECV. Backed Reps to hold Florida at 2.2.

Trump now 3 and I think he sees 5 before 2.5.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,325

LadyG said:

Does anyone have any good news? Anything? At all?

Yes, the new iPhones are being announced next week.
    Fashion victims take note...
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,073
    malcolmg said:

kjh said:

SKS siding with the farmers who put giant "Vote Conservative" placards in their fields at election time.

(Joking)

I think SKS is being quite canny here. Yes, he's siding with the farmers. But he's also siding with all the people who eat food. Which is really quite a lot of people.....
    It is often said that the diet preferred by social groups c2s and ds is nutritionally speaking s***. When chlorinated chicken from the USA becomes available, they might be less than pleased to discover they are actually eating genuine excrement.

People aren't eating excrement there, the hysteria over chlorinated chicken is absolutely absurd.
    I know we have gone around this loop a hundred times but the issue with chlorinated chicken is not the quality of the meat but the welfare standards that require the chlorination.
    It's not perfect, but we're going to have to make some compromises to get a trade deal with the US.

I can't understand people being happy to concede everything to the EU, but unwilling to compromise on anything for a US deal.
    You may do when you are an adult
    Welcome back Malcolm.

Scott_xP said:
    Kent investment coming to Warrington?

Levelling up!

;)
    Warrington, interesting. Separated processing primarily for Irish lorries doing EU-GB-EU traversals or GB-EU via Holyhead?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    Just signed up for the 'largest Covid-19 testing research study in England" Test comes in about 10 days.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,534
    kjh said:

Those on triple locked pensions who will never have to pay taxes again are very free with their 'economic packages' I notice///

For us to receive a 2.5% pension increase next year is wrong and I hope Rishi reduces it or stops it
    If the state pension was at a higher figure I would agree. But whether intended or not, this is a simple way of slowly getting it to a more acceptable proportion of the average wage.
    State Pension is already double what you get on Universal Credit.

I don't know who Data For Progress are but they just set a new record for a Biden lead in the main event - +18.

Maybe they sampled in Joe's basement?

Clue is in the name, I think.
  • LadyG said:

Yes, the new iPhones are being announced next week.
    On a scale of 1 > 10, where does that sit?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    OllyT said:

MrEd said:

I mentioned this a few days back as a real possibility why Cunningham might be f*cked in the NC Senate race and it looks like it is now happening:

https://eu.fayobserver.com/story/news/2020/10/07/army-investigating-senate-candidate-cal-cunningham-following-reports-affair/5909297002/

Have you taken into account the story that broke yesterday of Till's wife suing for divorce citing "cruel and unusual punishment"?
    This is not a race-changing story, but a current conviction confirming one. Those who support him will dismiss it as irrelevant or, at best, inconsequential in comparison with getting rid of Trump and wresting control of the Senate from the GOP. Those who are Tillis supporters will react as you have.

For the undecideds, a vanilla extra-marital affair vs 'cruel and inhuman treatment' is either a meh or a win for Cunningham. FYI, in Tennessee, where the Tillises were married, “cruel and inhuman treatment” legally includes domestic violence, adultery, emotional or verbal abuse, and sexual assault.
    LadyG said:

Trump is on for a pasting. Which makes 2020 a GREAT year.

What more do you want? Greed is a vice.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    That is massively misleading tweet. One out of over 2000 confirmed students cases in Manchester and obviously we don't know the specifics of the individual.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    And only a 1 in 2 chance of coming out of it alive.
    Hmm, with the new treatment options available and better knowledge of how to care for it if be surprised if the ICU survival rate was that low especially for younger people.
    Pro_Rata said:

Scott_xP said:

Levelling up!

;)
    Warrington, interesting. Separated processing primarily for Irish lorries doing EU-GB-EU traversals or GB-EU via Holyhead?
    And perhaps anticipating Scottish lorries doing the same in a year or two ;).

Honestly, if it is building out Lymm truck stop, I'm going to call bingo on that idea.
  • Pro_Rata said:

Scott_xP said:

Levelling up!

;)
    Being serious, Warrington is actually a prime location for lorry processing in the Northwest. There's increasingly large industrial estates being built around town for that reason, from Amazon to Hermes and more.

Located on the intersection of the M6, the M62, the M56 and the Manchester Ship Canal. Close to Ireland, Wales, Liverpool, Manchester etc

No idea how it works but I am guessing NW/Welsh/Irish lorries could etc could perhaps be cleared in Warrington prior to heading on to Kent avoiding any need for concern there?

Scott_xP said:
    Magnificent.

On a Kent related note, I've been invited to a wedding in Folkestone next year, can anyone recommend any decent hotels in Kent, within 50 miles of Folkestone?
    What happened to the last wedding? Did you go?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

Yes. It's clearly a dump as it was only founded in the 1960s, it's not as old as a former poly.
    The University of Coventry only became a University in 1992 and Warwick was ranked the 9th best university in the UK last year by the Times out of 126.

https://www.ukuni.net/articles/uk-university-times-ranking-2020

I know as a Liberal Democrat voting snob only Cambridge counts for you but there are other universities too beyond the Dreaming spires
    Yes, there's my alma mater of Lampeter. The third-oldest university in England and Wales, older than Durham and London.
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    Hmm, with the new treatment options available and better knowledge of how to care for it if be surprised if the ICU survival rate was that low especially for younger people.
    I thought it was more like 1 in 5 don't make it now. And remember that is massively skewed towards oldies.

I think total for under 30s with no underlying conditions we are talking low 10s that have died.
  • DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    Magnificent.

On a Kent related note, I've been invited to a wedding in Folkestone next year, can anyone recommend any decent hotels in Kent, within 50 miles of Folkestone?
    TSE's weddings are like his AV threads, always coming up . . .
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    OllyT said:

MrEd said:

I did. So, the infidelity stuff cancels each other out. It is the fact he is facing a possible court martial which I would be most worried about. Plus everyone knows Tillis is an a*sehole
    LadyG said:

1. Trump is clearly imploding,
    2. Boris seems to be about to cave in to get a Brexit deal.
    3. We're going starting a week's holiday in Cornwall tomorrow.
  • DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    Magnificent.

I did, it was a fun event considering there were only 15 of us, the safety protocols were something else at the venue.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,904

LadyG said:

Benpointer and LadyG a couple - who'd have guessed it!?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,001

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    That is massively misleading tweet. One out of over 2000 confirmed students cases in Manchester and obviously we don't know the specifics of the individual.
    I'm sure that's a great comfort to the student's parents.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,822
    edited October 2020
    Is Peston's giant iPad bimbo the new press spokesperson?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564

I wonder whether debate organisers will follow the approach of HIGNFY with Roy Hattersley years ago, and replace Trump at the next debate with a tub of lard?

I might be wrong but didn't the tub of lard end up on the winning side in that episode?
    Yes, despite a bunch of questions being in a foreign language too.
    edited October 2020

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    In just the last week, we had 3 students die from dodgy drugs in Newcastle, 2 students from Bath found dead in the river, etc. How many kids will have been admitted to hospital ina very bad way after being hit by cars, stabbed, with cancer, etc etc etc.

All very sad, but that is reality of life.

Pro_Rata said:

Scott_xP said:

Levelling up!

;)
    Being serious, Warrington is actually a prime location for lorry processing in the Northwest. There's increasingly large industrial estates being built around town for that reason, from Amazon to Hermes and more.

Located on the intersection of the M6, the M62, the M56 and the Manchester Ship Canal. Close to Ireland, Wales, Liverpool, Manchester etc

No idea how it works but I am guessing NW/Welsh/Irish lorries could etc could perhaps be cleared in Warrington prior to heading on to Kent avoiding any need for concern there?
    Googling, this is lined up for Appleton Thorn, so pretty much the other side of the M6/M56 from Lymm truck stop.
    Scott_xP said:

Isn't her current job just pointing out what other people have been saying on social media? Hopelessly under qualified for anything else
    Scott_xP said:

Charming!
  • LadyG said:

Enjoy your break -Trump is imploding and fingers crossed for a deal
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Some good news for @LadyG and others (only if a weather nerd), ECMWF has opened up most of their forecast maps and tools for free (previously a very hefty subscription).

https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Isn't her current job just pointing out what other people have been saying on social media? Hopelessly under qualified for anything else
    That's an interesting attitude. Perhaps she is over-qualified for her current job?
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Charming!
    She was a serious journalist, then took a job reading out other people's tweets on Peston.

And now she is going to shill for BoZo.

it's tragic.
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Charming!
    She was a serious journalist, then took a job reading out other people's tweets on Peston.

it's tragic.
    Haha that is unreal
    OllyT said:

MrEd said:

Isn't that the details of a former wife's divorce petition? I think the balance of the two revelations is to make it too close to call. Which sucks for the Democrats as this was looking increasingly like a near sure bet for a pickup.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited October 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol, it's not an exclusive. Anyone reading PB for the last few months knows this. The issue is that the government ousted the top Deloitte people and put Harding and Co in place who have fucked it all up.
  • Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Charming!

it's tragic.
    She hasn't done that for 2 years. She has been working for Dishy Rishi.
    RobD said:

Perhaps she is over-qualified for her current job?

Massively

LadyG said:

Typhoid Mary rides again!
  • Allegra Stratton new Downing Street Press Secretary
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    It's still a 40% death rate for patients going into ICU according to the latest ICNARC report. Essentially that's unchanged since June.

https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports/Additional-Reports
    Scott_xP said:
    I'd not mind so long as its well run
    edited October 2020
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

She left Peston a while ago. All aggro has been doing something else important for Boris for a while I think. OK, something important for Rishi- I stand corrected.

There are only two people called Allegra in the world. Boris married one and the other is his Press Secretary.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 589
    edited October 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    I thought at first it was Boris's first wife but that was another Allegra.

As an ex-Warwick graduate, I shall only respond to the slurs made by an ex-Cambridge graduate on this board by pointing out that Warwick is older than some of the Cambridge colleges, e.g. Robinson was founded in 1977.
    rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

Benpointer and LadyG a couple - who'd have guessed it!?
    I think we all saw it coming in fairness.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928
    edited October 2020

LadyG said:

Boris compromising on state aid with the EU to get the post Brexit trade deal would not be not caving in as there was no specific commitment on state aid in the 2019 Tory manifesto in the first place.

Though yes if Biden wins the chances of No Deal are much less as the US will not give us a FTA without an EU deal effectively under Biden and Pelosi as the EU deal would be needed to minimise the impact of the Internal Markets Bill the Democrats oppose.

• Scott_xP said:

What a disgusting misogynistic statement

You should be ashamed of that idiotic comment

She hasn't done that for 2 years. She has been working for Dishy Rishi.

Oh
    edited October 2020

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

She left Peston a while ago. All aggro has been doing something else important for Boris for a while I think.

There are only two people called Allegra in the world. Boris married one and the other is his Press Secretary.
    RobD said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

That's an interesting attitude. Perhaps she is over-qualified for her current job?

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,904
    kinabalu said:

I don't know who Data For Progress are but they just set a new record for a Biden lead in the main event - +18.

Maybe they sampled in Joe's basement?

Clue is in the name, I think.
    B- rating according to 538 (whatever that means).
    Second time Biden polls 57%, both occurring this month.

Starting to hope a bit more my longshot bet of 58%+ will come in.
  • Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Charming!

it's tragic.
    No it is not tragic

Your comments just drip with nastiness and indicates you see her as a threat to your crusade
    SandraMc said:

Scott_xP said:

As an ex-Warwick graduate, I shall only respond to the slurs made by an ex-Cambridge graduate on this board by pointing out that Warwick is older than some of the Cambridge colleges, e.g. Robinson was founded in 1977.
    Allegra is a brand of allergy meds here in the US.
  • Scott_xP said:
    That would explain the Excel stuff I suppose - accountants live, eat, sleep and breathe Excel.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

(Joking)

But the nail never quite goes all the way in so you need to keep at it. Day after day after day you hammer. Such is the essence of an internet politics forum.
    Yes, the argument that in 150 years time will sound like

"MY slaves sleep on the finest luxury mattresses, if we do a deal with that horrific fellow, they'll be sleeping on straw!"
    About the only thing I can predict with any confidence for 2170 is that people will still be having the following conversation -

"We should tax the rich more. Surely it's time for that."
    "They'll just hire accountants and avoid it."
    "So we'll stop that. Close the loopholes. Not beyond the wit of man."
    "But that's even worse if they can't avoid it."
    "Why on earth do you say that?"
    "They'll all leave."
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    In just the last week, we had 3 students die from dodgy drugs in Newcastle, 2 students from Bath found dead in the river, etc. How many kids will have been admitted to hospital ina very bad way after being hit by cars, stabbed, with cancer, etc etc etc.

All very sad, but that is reality of life.
    I remember in the build up to the Iraq war the media were counting the dead before it started because of US soldiers who had died there (mostly a few vehicle accidents) in the build up. The number was actually below what would have been expected for that number of healthy young men anyway mainly because they were in a controlled military environment (without the fighting) which limited the usual causes of deaths in young men. A like for like comparison to their normal lifestyle made it a safer environment.
    edited October 2020

Allegra Stratton new Downing Street Press Secretary

Ex Newsnight! Another example of the BBC being full of blinkin' lefties!
  • SandraMc said:

Scott_xP said:

An 'ex-Warwick graduate'? Did they rescind your degree?
  • Unlike hire of Dido Harding, Allegra does appear to have a CV to back up the job she has been given having worked for BBC, ITV, Times, Indy, Guardian, New Statesman and most recently doing similar job for Rishi.

And was with the Guardian at one time

Another example of the Guardian being full of blinkin' Tories?
    murali_s said:

Some good news for @LadyG and others (only if a weather nerd), ECMWF has opened up most of their forecast maps and tools for free (previously a very hefty subscription).

https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/

Thanks - I wasn't aware of that. That is good news.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

kjh said:

If the state pension was at a higher figure I would agree. But whether intended or not, this is a simple way of slowly getting it to a more acceptable proportion of the average wage.
    I don't think that negates the argument though. We are certainly on the low side compared to most European countries and for those with no other income it is very basic without the addition of other benefits.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 589

SandraMc said:

Scott_xP said:

An 'ex-Warwick graduate'? Did they rescind your degree?
    No. But they probably will after that tautology.
    RobD said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

She works for Sunak atm. Heads his Comms and Image Management. Left Peston ages ago.
    kjh said:

kjh said:

I don't think that negates the argument though. We are certainly on the low side compared to most European countries and for those with no other income it is very basic without the addition of other benefits.
    I don't disagree but UC is half of 'very basic'.

Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb, Guto Hari, Allegra Stratton, Jeremy Paxman, John Humphreys, Nick Robinson ...

We have been fed this propaganda about left-wing bias in the broadcast media for years, but all the evidence strongly indicates that if any party has a grip on newsrooms it's the Tories.

• SandraMc said:

Scott_xP said:

If you think I am snobby about Warwick you should hear me when I diss JCL Cambridge colleges like Robinson, Downing, and Newnham.
  • Why does Geff Norcott get to be on every BBC panel show? He's the most right wing comedian I know.

Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb, Guto Hari, Allegra Stratton, Jeremy Paxman, John Humphreys, Nick Robinson ...

We have been fed this propaganda about left-wing bias in the broadcast media for years, but all the evidence strongly indicates that if any party has a grip on newsrooms it's the Tories.

To be honest I think it is an excellent appointment and she will become the best known UK journalist in short order

To be honest I think it is an excellent appointment and she will become the best known UK journalist in short order
    Na, she's an iPad bimbo. lol

Scott_xP said:
    That would explain the Excel stuff I suppose - accountants live, eat, sleep and breathe Excel.

They are not accountants though are they, just 'consultants'?

Which usually translates as 'wet behind the ears graduates who are willing to work long hours, often not at all productively'.
  • Why does Geff Norcott get to be on every BBC panel show? He's the most right wing comedian I know.

Honestly, I have never heard of him
  • Warwick University being the University of Coventry, right?

Only if you accept Coventry isn't in Warwickshire. My father-in-law never did!

• Scott_xP said:

They are not accountants though are they, just 'consultants'?

Which usually translates as 'wet behind the ears graduates who are willing to work long hours, often not at all productively'.
    Last year I hired some KPMG consultants, they weren't that wet behind the ears but they did work long hours.

Cummings' plan to reduce the numbers of Oxbridge humanities graduates in Westminster is working well I see.

She's not a journalist anymore, she's a propagandist. It will be interesting hearing her attack BBC bias on behalf of the PM, though.

edited October 2020

I'll raise you Clarence Mitchell and BBC Radio Norfolk's Nick (keep your knickers on) Conrad. Oh and of course BBC Radio Wales' Wynn (Go Compare) Evans, who is often Johnson's rubber chicken dinner Master of Ceremonies.
  • RobD said:

Na, she's an iPad bimbo. lol
    I really cannot understand why Scott made that comment other than he fears she may be very good at it

It does not excuse his misogyny
  • Warwick University being the University of Coventry, right?

Only if you accept Coventry isn't in Warwickshire. My father-in-law never did!

What about Sutton Coldfield being part of Birmingham?

I'll raise you Clarence Mitchell and BBC Radio Norfolk's Nick (keep your knickers on) Conrad.
    And what about Andrew Neil and Laura K?

BBC DG Tim Davie is an exTory councillor too.
This discussion has been closed.