Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden backers unruffled by the overnight VP debate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited October 2020
    kjh said:

SKS siding with the farmers who put giant "Vote Conservative" placards in their fields at election time.

That's my membership card in the bin.

(Joking)

I think SKS is being quite canny here. Yes, he's siding with the farmers. But he's also siding with all the people who eat food. Which is really quite a lot of people.....
    It is often said that the diet preferred by social groups c2s and ds is nutritionally speaking s***. When chlorinated chicken from the USA becomes available, they might be less than pleased to discover they are actually eating genuine excrement.
    Have you ever been to the US?

People aren't eating excrement there, the hysteria over chlorinated chicken is absolutely absurd.
    I know we have gone around this loop a hundred times but the issue with chlorinated chicken is not the quality of the meat but the welfare standards that require the chlorination.
    It's not perfect, but we're going to have to make some compromises to get a trade deal with the US.

I can't understand people being happy to concede everything to the EU, but unwilling to compromise on anything for a US deal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,357
    Another possible legacy effect of coronavirus infection.
    As with other 'long Covid' stories, so far we have little idea of how long it might persist.

https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1314171209370808320
  • Options

We can add Warwick University to the list of third rate unis.

https://twitter.com/David_Batty/status/1314192823974064130

Is it defamation to suggest someone had a lesbian relationship?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,157
    Pro_Rata said:

RobD said:
    7 day rolling average admissions on NE&Y up 51% on the week. (R=1.25).

On this trajectory it would top the previous 7 day regional admissions level (1-7/4) on 29/10. I suspect, though, with a different Yorkshire (more) Vs NE (less) split (iirc, I think NHS wise this covers Cumbria too).
    So, is it possible that NE & Y didn't get a "proper" first wave and so are now finding more already ill and frail people are getting a bad case needing hospital?

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

isam said:
    Will a serious party pick up the this politicial ball and run with it? so far, no dice.
    A call-out to Lozza?
    That guy has to be a non-starter. Already getting sued for defamation by some Pink News folk for completely uncalled for Paedo insults.

Somebody wasted a lot of money, there.
  • Options

I predict a great rebellion in the North in the next week.

The question is will Boris Johnson engage in the 'Harrying of the North'?

That Southern Jessie won't know what will hit him.

I see that LAB although they supposedly don't like the curfew, won't be voting against it

'Not new leadership but NO leadership'!
    Like David Cameron in 2006/07 perhaps Sir Keir Starmer is lulling the government into a false sense of security then wham defeats them in a vote.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited October 2020

The figures Sky are talking about just now are terrible and urgent action is required including an economic package for hospitality

Those on the right who want a herd immunity strategy are vastly outnumbered by those who want tighter regulation and on this Boris is nearer public opinion than ERG and others
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

I see that LAB although they supposedly don't like the curfew, won't be voting against it

They haven't come out against the curfew as far as I am aware. They have requested evidence to justify the curfew (this could be as opposed to no curfew, or instead, full lockdown).

One of the advantages of opposition, which some people on here don't seem to understand, is that oppositions don't have to make policy. It is the responsibility of government to make policy and opposition to question that policy.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Trump is a bottler and a coward.

My internet`s been down - what has he done?
    After all the polls showing him down by double digit percentage points he thought the best way to turn it around is to pull out of the second debate.
    Why has a virtual debate been agreed in the first place? Surely both parties would have to agree to any amendments to the previously agreed format?
    COVID-19?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Pro_Rata said:

RobD said:

On this trajectory it would top the previous 7 day regional admissions level (1-7/4) on 29/10. I suspect, though, with a different Yorkshire (more) Vs NE (less) split (iirc, I think NHS wise this covers Cumbria too).
    So, is it possible that NE & Y didn't get a "proper" first wave and so are now finding more already ill and frail people are getting a bad case needing hospital?

Not much difference here, apart from London:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-hospital-admissions-testing-public-health-england-a9540101.html
  • Options

66 of the 98 cases were under 30, so almost certainly had mild or no symptom illness.

Possibly.
    https://twitter.com/WvSchaik/status/1314124839125385217
  • Options

The figures Sky are talking about just now are terrible and urgent action is required including an economic package for hospitality

Those on the right who want a herd immunity strategy are vastly outnumbered by those who want tighter regulation and on this Boris is nearer public opinion than ERG and others
    Those on triple locked pensions who will never have to pay taxes again are very free with their 'economic packages' I notice///
  • Options

Yet your constant criticisms of Mark Drakeford seem not to be in concert with your post.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Nigelb said:

As with other 'long Covid' stories, so far we have little idea of how long it might persist.

Or indeed whether it is real, or merely a meaningless statistical correlation. With 35 million people confirmed infected (and the real number presumably way higher), there are bound to be all sorts of things that can be correlated to infection.

I will remain very wary of such claims until a molecular mechanism for the condition has been shown - or at very least suggested.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Boom. Looks like State Aid will be wrapped up in next week and then there'll be a political call on fish very late doors. We should be ok.

"One EU source said that Mr Barnier had told diplomats: “Maintaining the status quo in UK waters will not be feasible. So the most concerned member states will need to explore room to move towards the UK in terms of quota allocation; provided the UK meets the EU on governance and state aid.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/johnson-ready-to-make-concessions-to-eu-says-official-zqmlf5r9v

This fills me with dread. I'm going to reserve judgement until we know what kind of agreement has been struck on the LPF, if it's anything like what the EU were asking for then I'll probably join whichever party pops up to abrogate the trade treaty.
    If its what the EU were originally asking for it is absolutely unacceptable.

If its closer to what we agreed with the Japanese that is eminently agreeable.

The EU and the CJEU can not be the arbiters of it. Any arbitration must be neutral.
    I hope you are horrified by the deal
    What a petty attitude.
    I think you misunderstand the comment, which simply means that nichomar’s wishes for a settlement are very different from Philip’s.
    Any sensible person would be horrified by the Tories position and the shambolic way they have handled this debacle.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Trump is a bottler and a coward.

My internet`s been down - what has he done?
    After all the polls showing him down by double digit percentage points he thought the best way to turn it around is to pull out of the second debate.
    Why has a virtual debate been agreed in the first place? Surely both parties would have to agree to any amendments to the previously agreed format?
    COVID-19?
    Pah, that old chestnut!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Well yes of course that's a policy question.

What would they expect? If the answer is yes then that's an announcement, if the answer is no then that's ruling out something that may be under consideration?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sounds like a mis-step from the Donald, but I note Sporting Index has backtracked a couple of points. Biden ECVs now down to 314/320. Anyone think why?

Maybe the voters liked the fly.......

Perhaps just in response to money. They were getting close to our magic 100 sell price on supremacy. Was 94 now 92.
    I suspect so. I came close to following my own advice this morning and selling half my stake, just to lock in a healthy profit. Glad I didn't now in view of Trump's announcement. Feels like a mahoosive mistake to me.
  • Options

kjh said:

SKS siding with the farmers who put giant "Vote Conservative" placards in their fields at election time.

(Joking)

I think SKS is being quite canny here. Yes, he's siding with the farmers. But he's also siding with all the people who eat food. Which is really quite a lot of people.....
    It is often said that the diet preferred by social groups c2s and ds is nutritionally speaking s***. When chlorinated chicken from the USA becomes available, they might be less than pleased to discover they are actually eating genuine excrement.

People aren't eating excrement there, the hysteria over chlorinated chicken is absolutely absurd.
    I know we have gone around this loop a hundred times but the issue with chlorinated chicken is not the quality of the meat but the welfare standards that require the chlorination.
    It's not perfect, but we're going to have to make some compromises to get a trade deal with the US.

I can't understand people being happy to concede everything to the EU, but unwilling to compromise on anything for a US deal.
    You may do when you are an adult
  • Options
    'Kin hell, Donald Trump's grasp of history matches that of Morris Dancer.

https://twitter.com/scribblercat/status/1314195940283166722
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Boom. Looks like State Aid will be wrapped up in next week and then there'll be a political call on fish very late doors. We should be ok.

"One EU source said that Mr Barnier had told diplomats: “Maintaining the status quo in UK waters will not be feasThe ible. So the most concerned member states will need to explore room to move towards the UK in terms of quota allocation; provided the UK meets the EU on governance and state aid.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/johnson-ready-to-make-concessions-to-eu-says-official-zqmlf5r9v

If Johnson falls for that he's become Boris In Name Only.
    He won't, there was no 2019 Tory manifesto promise on state aid only on fishing
    You're wrong. This is the promise:

"This future relationship will be one that allows us to:
    • Take back control of our laws.
    • Take back control of our money.
    • Control our own trade policy.
    • Introduce an Australian-style points based immigration system.
    • Raise standards in areas like workers’ rights, animal welfare, agriculture and the environment.
    • Ensure we are in full control of our fishing waters."
    State aid is control of our laws and control of our money. Literally the first two things promised.
    No it isn't, handing state bailouts to companies is not taking back control of our laws nor our money, it is intervention to distort the free market.

As I correctly said there was no manifesto promise specifically to reclaim control of state aid
    I obviously have no idea what has been agreed, but if you don't have control over decisions about state aid then as Philip says you haven't got control over 'our' laws and 'our' money. It doesn't matter what side of the argument you are on re state aid.
    Reducing ECJ jurisdiction over the UK and the supremacy of EU law over the UK and ending our annual payments to Brussels all are reclaiming control of our laws and money enough to satisfy that part of the manifesto, I repeat there was no specific promise in the winning 2019 Tory manifesto to regain control of state aid, only an obsession by Philip's hero Dominic Cummings.
    HYUFD, quoting other areas where you have taken back control doesn't mitigate the situation if you don't have control over state aid. I have no idea if this is the case, but if it is then this is an area where you have not taken back control of your laws or your money. As I said it doesn't matter what side you are on, whether you are in favour or against state aid, if you don't have control over the decisions you do not have control of your laws or your money in this area.

If the Tory manifesto said you would then you have breached the manifesto. Simples.
    No, I am a Tory activist not you and also more so than Philip who voted Labour in 2001 and Brexit Party in 2019 at the Euros when I voted Tory in all those elections so I will also take no lectures from him on what Tory policy is.

I know what was in the Tory manifesto, there was no specific promise to regain control of state aid, zero, nada, only to end free movement, do our own trade deals and regain control of fishing waters.

Brexit by itself now having being delivered reduces EU law over the UK and also our annual subsidies to Brussels which covers that point.

End of conversation
    I'm unsure why you think that having undying loyalty to the "Conservative Party" is a good thing?
    If you want to tell me what Tory policy should be you should certainly show some consistent loyalty to the party, if not I am not that interested especially when there is no requirement in the winning Tory manifesto for it.

Philip Thompson is a Blair voting, Farage voting, Cummings worshipping fanatic on Brexit not a loyal Tory
    I voted for Blair when Blair and Brown were sticking to Ken Clarke's plans and managing the economy well. I didn't after 2001.

I never voted for Farage. Which Parliament is Farage a member of thanks to my vote? 🙄
    You voted Labour in 2001, you voted Brexit Party in 2019 and to continue Farage's membership of the European Parliament at that time which he duly continued until this year
    Millions more voted Labour in 2001 than Tories. Rather than turning your nose up at people that you were on the losing side, maybe you should stop slapping yourself on the back for one second and ask why that happened?

As for the European Parliament election it should never have taken place. We were supposed to leave before the elections even happened. It was only due to Theresa May's abject failure the election even happened - that you rewarded her abject failure by voting for her again is not something to be proud of.

I didn't elect an MEP, I voted we should have no MEPs at all. The election shouldn't have even happened. It brought down the worst Prime Minister of my lifetime. I'm glad for that vote.
    Did you vote for a Party in the Euro elections? If you did, you didn't vote for "no MEPs". If you voted for Farage's crowd you just voted to waste our money on approx 30 odd trouble makers in the parliament who were paid for the priviledge of causing trouble. The whole history of UKIP/Brexit were wreckers who never did any meaningful work!
    I never voted for UKIP when that was meaningful.

In 2019 the UK wasn't even supposed to be in the European Parliament anymore! I didn't want "meaningful work" to be done by our MEPs. What "meaningful work" should they be doing when they should already not have a job?

It was a protest vote to MPs who matter. The MEPs were irrelevant.
    Out of interest, if the Conservatives had taken an abstentionist position for the European elections, pledging that their elected MEPs would not turn up to Brussels/Strasbourg, and wouldn't take a salary, would that have persuaded you to vote Tory over Faragist? Or was driving the Conservative vote as low as possible, as an anti-May protest vote, the primary concern?
    The anti-May protest vote was not just the primary concern, it was the sole concern.

I couldn't care less about the MEPs. We shouldn't even have any.
  • Options

They haven't come out against the curfew as far as I am aware. They have requested evidence to justify the curfew (this could be as opposed to no curfew, or instead, full lockdown).

One of the advantages of opposition, which some people on here don't seem to understand, is that oppositions don't have to make policy. It is the responsibility of government to make policy and opposition to question that policy.
    Labour are useless, they sit on the fence and whine every time.
  • Options

kjh said:

(Joking)

the difference is we're doing fine trading with the US, and nothing will change on Jan 1st, so any deal would need somehow to be an improvement.
    And EU deal is required if we are not to see a fairly dramatic change in the terms of trade with Europe, overnight.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Or indeed whether it is real, or merely a meaningless statistical correlation. With 35 million people confirmed infected (and the real number presumably way higher), there are bound to be all sorts of things that can be correlated to infection.

I will remain very wary of such claims until a molecular mechanism for the condition has been shown - or at very least suggested.
    Boris himself has said that many of the worst sufferers from COVID are the obese, and so would it be a surprise if covid and diabetes showed up on the same radar screens sometimes?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

See 13:20 entry
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54460270
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Eagles, you iguana, bleating at a dragon.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Dura_Ace said:

"One EU source said that Mr Barnier had told diplomats: “Maintaining the status quo in UK waters will not be feasible. So the most concerned member states will need to explore room to move towards the UK in terms of quota allocation; provided the UK meets the EU on governance and state aid.”

If Johnson falls for that he's become Boris In Name Only.
    Boris doesn't get a deal: OBSTINATE RECKLESS FOOL - IDIOT! IDEOLOGUE!
    Borid does get a deal: BREXIT IN NAME ONLY!!! CAPITULATION!!
    Either way he is a twat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    They will not be able to force anyone to do anything.
    "They won't have the power to take enforcement action. If there are particularly egregious examples, they would need to escalate that to the police."
  • Options

Talking of whom. Where is Morris Dancer? Has he been heard lately?
  • Options
    Does anyone have a (reputable) link to the current R rates of the four nations of the UK?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Labour are useless, they sit on the fence and whine every time.
    The benefit of opposition is fence sitting and whining is in the job description.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

This fills me with dread. I'm going to reserve judgement until we know what kind of agreement has been struck on the LPF, if it's anything like what the EU were asking for then I'll probably join whichever party pops up to abrogate the trade treaty.
    If its what the EU were originally asking for it is absolutely unacceptable.

If its closer to what we agreed with the Japanese that is eminently agreeable.

The EU and the CJEU can not be the arbiters of it. Any arbitration must be neutral.
    I hope you are horrified by the deal
    What a petty attitude.
    I think you misunderstand the comment, which simply means that nichomar’s wishes for a settlement are very different from Philip’s.
    Any sensible person would be horrified by the Tories position and the shambolic way they have handled this debacle.
    Welcome back, malcolm !
    (A trifle belatedly.)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Pro_Rata said:

RobD said:

To clarify - the 7 day rolling average NE&Y hospital admissions for 21-27/10 would exceed the previous high of 1-7/4 on current trajectory. (2 days sooner than I stated as last data was for 5/10 and I'd originally counted from yesterday).

On the same measure 7 day average NW hospital admissions increased by 58% last week (R=1.30), an on trajectory would exceed the previous high (again from 1-7/4) by 17-23/10.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited October 2020

Mr. Eagles, you iguana, bleating at a dragon.

So your knowledge of history is like a dragon, entirely fictitious.

:D
  • Options

Those on triple locked pensions who will never have to pay taxes again are very free with their 'economic packages' I notice///
    As an elderly pensioner I do not support the triple lock in this crisis

For us to receive a 2.5% pension increase next year is wrong and I hope Rishi reduces it or stops it
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Talking of whom. Where is Morris Dancer? Has he been heard lately?
    Just a minute before your posting ...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

kjh said:

(Joking)

I'm no saint. I don't go out and look for organic food for instance. On the whole, no matter what most people say, they will nearly always go for the cheapest option for identical products, so there does need to be some maintaining of standards. It is always difficult to introduce better standards as that invariably means higher costs, which impacts those less well off disproportionately. Consequently I do believe we should resist the reduction of standards as much as possible as otherwise you will hit rock bottom.
  • Options

Does anyone have a (reputable) link to the current R rates of the four nations of the UK?

R rates are so first lockdown!
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Brexit, nonetheless achieved its single aim - a Johnson premiership.

You're only saying that because you're not a tax evader. Or Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    They will not be able to force anyone to do anything.
    "They won't have the power to take enforcement action. If there are particularly egregious examples, they would need to escalate that to the police."
    They can inform the police on those not wearing facemasks, not social distancing etc so the police can then fine them.

The police cannot be everywhere at once
  • Options
    I don't know who Data For Progress are but they just set a new record for a Biden lead in the main event - +18.

Maybe they sampled in Joe's basement?
  • Options

For us to receive a 2.5% pension increase next year is wrong and I hope Rishi reduces it or stops it
    How about a 5 per cent cut?

Seeing as many are losing their livelihoods completely?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,097

kinabalu said:

On topic, and aware of the fact I was pretty dismissive of his 2024 nomination chances last night if Trump loses, I though Pence did well last night within the context of what he was aiming to do.

If I was a fairly conservative voter, who was sceptical (or even very concerned) about Trump's temperament, I'd have been comforted by Pence to a fair degree.

Will it move the topline numbers? Probably not appreciably. But I think it will steady the ship a bit after a rocky period for the re-election campaign.

Pence is a smooth and solid media performer. Appears unflappable and reassuring. Some wacky views, though, and not much of an intellect. And mendacious, very mendacious.
    Yebbutt President Harris......really?
    Well I like her but I know she is not for everyone. She'd certainly be fabulous in comparison to the current occupant. He has not so much lowered the bar as removed it entirely.
  • Options
    They want to make it less accurate? Interesting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

66 of the 98 cases were under 30, so almost certainly had mild or no symptom illness.

Possibly.
    As far as I can see from the article, one student has had a case bad enough to be in ICU.
  • Options

Yet your constant criticisms of Mark Drakeford seem not to be in concert with your post.
    The report was England only and the crisis in the North of England

My argument over Drakeford is much wider than the inconsistencies and stupidity of his handling of covid but also his failure in health and education both witnessed personally by myself and members of my family
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

The reporting is quite responsible in that respect - "may", "hints" etc.
    There is the broader point, though, that a significant percentage of those infected appear to suffer long term consequences, and we will need to do a lot more followup to determine the extent of that.
    The numbers are large enough, though, for 'long Covid' to represent a significant but unquantified risk.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    kjh said:

kjh said:

(Joking)

I'm no saint. I don't go out and look for organic food for instance. On the whole, no matter what most people say, they will nearly always go for the cheapest option for identical products, so there does need to be some maintaining of standards. It is always difficult to introduce better standards as that invariably means higher costs, which impacts those less well off disproportionately. Consequently I do believe we should resist the reduction of standards as much as possible as otherwise you will hit rock bottom.
    It's certainly a welfare issue, but AIUI it is also a health issue - because the chlorination is needed to mitigate a muich deeper level of primary bacterial contamination of the meat, and yet doesn't do so completely. The rate of food poisoning is much higher as a result than with UK/European chicken.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Eagles, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon

I see I now have to educate you on the animal kingdom as well as history. You should be paying me for this tutelage.
  • Options
    Warwick University being the University of Coventry, right?
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Does anyone have any good news? Anything? At all?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon

I see I now have to educate you on the animal kingdom as well as history. You should be paying me for this tutelage.

That's not a real dragon, it's a lizard.
  • Options

If the state pension was at a higher figure I would agree. But whether intended or not, this is a simple way of slowly getting it to a more acceptable proportion of the average wage.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

(Joking)

I am all for higher standards for animal welfare, but we're hardly doing well on that score, see for example today's story about live animals being shipped from here to the Middle East for slaughter in barbaric ways:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54435029

I can't believe the Middle East has better animal welfare than the US, so I suspect that the real outrage about chlorinated chicken is more about blocking a trade deal with the US rather than anything else.
  • Options

Yes. It's clearly a dump as it was only founded in the 1960s, it's not as old as a former poly.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I had noticed Nerys Hughes had gone quiet on the hospital occupation figures, now we know why.
    :/ Was looking forward to claims that it was all down to too much mask wearing.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Biologically we can't avoid herd immunity. We either get it disproportionately among the younger and fitter or we spread it evenly across the population. In the 2nd. case, more people die.

This was the cause of the Great Barrington Declaration (of the bleeding obvious.) Because it's led by professors from three leading universities, i.e. Oxford, Harvard and Stanford, BBC R4 news covered it.

Also I'm not of the right and I object to the idea that party politics has anything to do with it. It's about empirical evidence on how best to minimise deaths and get back to life as normal.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Those figures are a week out of date though.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

(Joking)

I am all for higher standards for animal welfare, but we're hardly doing well on that score, see for example today's story about live animals being shipped from here to the Middle East for slaughter in barbaric ways:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54435029

I can't believe the Middle East has better animal welfare than the US, so I suspect that the real outrage about chlorinated chicken is more about blocking a trade deal with the US rather than anything else.
    Don't know. No doubt that is the case for some people.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Grandiose said:

Surprised that Trump has pulled out of the virtual debate.

Surely the fact that he would have participated from the White House would have given him an advantage - not in terms of the debate but the general projection of his status to the electorate - as 'I am your President and I am in the right environment'.

I feel like it must be his health, including his voice. If he can't get through 90 minutes (or whatever it was) of a legitimately tiring exercise without showing the strain, his response makes sense.

(I see Nigel B has already made this point)
    I was wrong.
    It's the fault of the swamp creatures.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1314178916882489350
    That's going to thrill those educated suburban white women he needs to win round - "swamp creatures".
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Biden now wins in 85% of simulations of 538.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Yes, the new iPhones are being announced next week.
  • Options

I stand by my point. Starmer doubt's the benefit of the curfew, therefore is demanding evidence to confirm that it is working, but he doesn't advocate either drinking should continue into the night or pubs should be closed. He has sat on the fence, which he is perfectly entitled to do.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,711

I`d do it through income tax rate bands. At present, income over £50k taxed at 40%. Introduce different bandings for 65+ so that, for example, 40% starts at £30k. And extend NI regime past retirement age.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Isn't it to limit the number of people in the future who get it?
    I believe it's because there exists the possibility that they might not have identified everyone who caught coronavirus from a pub and that as 20%+ of those who did catch it and get traced caught it from the pub, it may be that 20%+ of those who they haven't identified and traced might also have caught it from the pub.

Unless they just happened to pick up literally everyone who caught it from a pub in their sample of just over 400 people (I am presuming that these 400-odd people aren't everyone who caught coronavirus in the area)
  • Options

I very much doubt any chancellor of any party would even suggest that but personally I have no issue in paying more
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    I mentioned this a few days back as a real possibility why Cunningham might be f*cked in the NC Senate race and it looks like it is now happening:

https://eu.fayobserver.com/story/news/2020/10/07/army-investigating-senate-candidate-cal-cunningham-following-reports-affair/5909297002/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

We can add Warwick University to the list of third rate unis.

https://twitter.com/David_Batty/status/1314192823974064130

Is it defamation to suggest someone had a lesbian relationship?
    Isn't the suggestion that one of the parties got better treatment as a result?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I had noticed Nerys Hughes had gone quiet on the hospital occupation figures, now we know why.
    :/ Was looking forward to claims that it was all down to too much mask wearing.
    Indeed, I'm trying to get that spurious correlation added to this website.

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    13% - that's your kipper hard brexit Farage-to-Johnson base right there.

Good to have it quantified.
  • Options

I stand by my point. Starmer doubt's the benefit of the curfew, therefore is demanding evidence to confirm that it is working, but he doesn't advocate either drinking should continue into the night or pubs should be closed. He has sat on the fence, which he is perfectly entitled to do.
    So he can wait awhile and then comment with hindsight! :lol:
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Sounds like a mis-step from the Donald, but I note Sporting Index has backtracked a couple of points. Biden ECVs now down to 314/320. Anyone think why?

Maybe the voters liked the fly.......

It's very silly (and hence should be very profitable). Taking a combination of the RCP and 538 averages, Biden is currently on course to win 375 ECVs (Iowa flipped from Rep to Dem overnight). Even excluding the three states and Maine-2, where Biden's lead is within 2%, that'd still leave him with 334.

There are, of course, related contingencies here so it is entirely possible that Biden doesn't win any of them (nor N Carolina). But surely the balance of probabilities is that he takes at least one? And of course there's the chance that other states could swing Blue over the rest of the campaign.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    As far as I can see from the article, one student has had a case bad enough to be in ICU.
    Given that the previous argument was no one under 30 was suffering any real symptoms its nice to see the argument has changed slightly.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Yes. It's clearly a dump as it was only founded in the 1960s, it's not as old as a former poly.
    The University of Coventry only became a University in 1992 and Warwick was ranked the 9th best university in the UK last year by the Times out of 126.

https://www.ukuni.net/articles/uk-university-times-ranking-2020

I know as a Liberal Democrat voting snob only Cambridge counts for you but there are other universities too beyond the Dreaming spires
  • Options

Two different Uni's. Coventry, as one might expect is a bit more techie than Warwick.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Stocky said:

I`d do it through income tax rate bands. At present, income over £50k taxed at 40%. Introduce different bandings for 65+ so that, for example, 40% starts at £30k. And extend NI regime past retirement age.
    S Oort you OT by accident I’d take one or the other but both.....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Magnificent.

On a Kent related note, I've been invited to a wedding in Folkestone next year, can anyone recommend any decent hotels in Kent, within 50 miles of Folkestone?
  • Options

Two different Uni's. Coventry, as one might expect is a bit more techie than Warwick.
    Oh I wasn’t talking about Coventry University. I was merely making a hilarious point about how Warwick University is in Coventry and not in Warwick.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Yes, the new iPhones are being announced next week.
    On a scale of 1 > 10, where does that sit?
  • Options

Biologically we can't avoid herd immunity. We either get it disproportionately among the younger and fitter or we spread it evenly across the population. In the 2nd. case, more people die.

This was the cause of the Great Barrington Declaration (of the bleeding obvious.) Because it's led by professors from three leading universities, i.e. Oxford, Harvard and Stanford, BBC R4 news covered it.

Also I'm not of the right and I object to the idea that party politics has anything to do with it. It's about empirical evidence on how best to minimise deaths and get back to life as normal.
    And it is not where the public are

'Do not kill Granny' is a very powerful slogan
  • Options
    kjh said:

If the state pension was at a higher figure I would agree. But whether intended or not, this is a simple way of slowly getting it to a more acceptable proportion of the average wage.
    Just increase it by CPI in Sept for following April going forward like other state payments.

Next calculation would be CPI Sept 2020, due out next week (?)

Probably about 0.5%
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kjh said:

kjh said:

(Joking)

I think that the US has a point in saying that its approach to food production is not lower standards, but a different approach to reaching food safety.

HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) is the approach the US takes. Basically, you identify the least number of control points in a production process to achieve the level of risk management you require. In this approach, if a control does not add to the overall end level of safety at the end of a process, it is not used.

The UK and the EU's approach, as I understand it, is a mixture of food safety and of animal welfare. Of course, the two are interrelated. But it does mean that this approach requires more stringent interventions at more points in the production process - such as how long live animals can be transported - which under HACCP would be deemed not critical control points.

Personally, I prefer the EU/UK approach, and I think the US will move slowly in that direction. But to describe the US as having low food standards, or the food they produce as 'genuine excrement' is of course nonsense.
  • Options

If my memory serves me, Coventry University was previously Lanchester Polytechnic, on Priory Street, whereas Warwick University is a greenfield campus is in the relatively suburban Tile Hill.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    Given that the previous argument was no one under 30 was suffering any real symptoms its nice to see the argument has changed slightly.
    Only a 1 in 50 chance of ending up in the ICU!
  • Options

If my memory serves me, Coventry University was previously Lanchester Polytechnic, on Priory Street, whereas Warwick University is a greenfield campus is in the relatively suburban Tile Hill.
    My Dad lives in Tile Hill. I know it well.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Kent investment coming to Warrington?

Levelling up!

;)
  • Options

LadyG said:

Biden now wins in 85% of simulations of 538.
    It is over

Biden will win and Trump will lose 'bigly'
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I lived in Leamington Spa for 2 out of my 3 years at Warwick
  • Options
    kjh said:

(Joking)

But the nail never quite goes all the way in so you need to keep at it. Day after day after day you hammer. Such is the essence of an internet politics forum.
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    If that were right, that could be a couple of students from a Halls of Residence on average.
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Possibly.
    And only a 1 in 2 chance of coming out of it alive.
  • Options

Oh I wasn’t talking about Coventry University. I was merely making a hilarious point about how Warwick University is in Coventry and not in Warwick.
    Sorry; missed! However it's just outside actually, although the post code is Coventry. It's in WarwickSHIRE, of course.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The University of Coventry only became a University in 1992 and Warwick was ranked the 9th best university in the UK last year by the Times out of 126.

https://www.ukuni.net/articles/uk-university-times-ranking-2020

I know as a Liberal Democrat voting snob only Cambridge counts for you but there are other universities too beyond the Dreaming spires
    You're in a feisty mood today HYUFD.
This discussion has been closed.