Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A problem about enforcement remains Johnson’s failure to do anything about the Cummings lockdown bre

Comments

• Options

Its remarkable to think that the SCOTUS could soon have a 6-3 conservative majority, but had Hillary not neglected to campaign in the Midwest and put a bit more effort into their concerns it could now have a 6-3 liberal majority I believe?

Hilary would likely have faced a GOP senate throughout her presidency though. At best she may have been able to nominate three moderates. And assuming this alternative timeline had no impact on the date RBG dies, McConnell would of course be refusing to allow a vote on a replacement right now.
    In the admittedly unlikely scenario of Trump winning the presidency but the Dems winning the Senate, I can see him refusing to nominate any replacements if another of the liberal judges dies (most likely Breyer who is in his 80s)
  • Options

So are gyms and cinema allowed to remain open?

Yes but no games of basketball...indoor spin class fine, watching Tenet fine, outside yoga class of 7, computer says no.
    Well that's a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    edited September 2020
    Sandpit said:

Republicans have secured the numbers needed to ensure that President Trump's Supreme Court nominee will face a confirmation vote in the Senate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54254141

Republicans are probably going to confirm someone before the election, and wait for the Democrats to talk about stuffing the court to motivate the evangelical voters out.
    I would have thought the most sensible thing for the President to do would to put forward someone the Evangelicals absolutely love, and allow them to be vetoed by Murkowski, Gardner and Collins. And to do this *before* the election.

This burnishes the Senators bipartisan credentials before the election and improves their chance of re-election. While simultaneously saying to the Evangelicals, "look, I tried really hard to get someone you'd really love".

The real nominee would then be approved during the lame duck session, irrespective of the result of the Presidential election. (And could be William Barr if the President loses.)
  • Options

Its remarkable to think that the SCOTUS could soon have a 6-3 conservative majority, but had Hillary not neglected to campaign in the Midwest and put a bit more effort into their concerns it could now have a 6-3 liberal majority I believe?

Hilary would likely have faced a GOP senate throughout her presidency though. At best she may have been able to nominate three moderates. And assuming this alternative timeline had no impact on the date RBG dies, McConnell would of course be refusing to allow a vote on a replacement right now.
    Fair point. So they could have had a 6-3 majority a week ago, but with moderate liberals indeed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    HYUFD said:

Republicans have secured the numbers needed to ensure that President Trump's Supreme Court nominee will face a confirmation vote in the Senate.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1308415881857437701
    The Republicans however have won the national popular vote in 8 out of 13 of the last House of Representatives elections over that same timeframe
    Average the popular vote over that timeframe, and the popular vote margin is less than 0.07%.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited September 2020

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

RBG really should have retired after Obama won re-election in 2012.

The Presidency swings back and forth - at that point it was 50:50 who would win in 2016. With two terms being the norm it was very unlikely she would last until 2025 and she has in fact passed away just before 2021.

Well quite. It’s a weird system that can encourage people to stay on far too long in the job because of the politics of appointment.

Six years ago RBG was 81 and with an uncertain Senate election ahead, she could have retired and seen a Democrat president and a Democrat Senate pick her successor.
    Requiring a higher percentage of the Senate to vote for an SC Judge would result in more judges acceptable to both Republicans and Democrats and they could then be chosen for their ability.
    That’s a good call. A requirement for 60 votes would stop clearly partisan candidates getting through.

Quite amazingly, it’s up to the Senate themselves how they define the nominee to have been confirmed, so the majority required has been slowly eroded to a simple majority over time, as partisanship replaced consensus in the Senate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointment_and_confirmation_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204

Wash your hands, wear your mask, keep your distance.

https://twitter.com/emmanuelmacron/status/1308419978983546880?s=21

Lol - Macron has plagiarized 'Hands, Face, Space', and in the same order too!
    Sounds better coming from Manu though. More weighty and stylish. Johnson tends to imbue everything he touches - even when it is a matter of great import - with a certain tackiness and risibility. It's not ideal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Republicans are probably going to confirm someone before the election, and wait for the Democrats to talk about stuffing the court to motivate the evangelical voters out.
    I would have thought the most sensible thing for the President to do would to put forward someone the Evangelicals absolutely love, and allow them to be vetoed by Murkowski, Gardner and Collins. And to do this *before* the election.

This burnishes the Senators bipartisan credentials before the election and improves their chance of re-election. While simultaneously saying to the Evangelicals, "look, I tried really hard to get someone you'd really love".

The real nominee would then be approved during the lame duck session, irrespective of the result of the Presidential election. (And could be William Barr if the President loses.)
    Would the lame duck Senate approve Barr?

I would hope even Romney might find a spine if it came to Barr being nominee.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1308402780802109440

Sturgeon is a politician at the top of her game.

And BoZo isn't.

This is the moment though. This is the moment which either crowns Sturgeon Queen of the North or brings it all crashing down for the SNP.

For all that people paint Sturgeon as overly cautious this move combined with full school return back in August shows her to be a massive risk taker.
    Regardless of whether she takes massive risks or is overly cautious - every move she makes is brilliant. And the consequences aren't her fault either - she does the best she can. All the time.

What a star.
    I can't believe that she's getting away with a worse performance than Boris Johnson. Political escapology of the highest order.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Banning people from seeing each other is incredibly draconian. It's arguably acceptable as an emergency public health measure, though you can make the case that it's not right for a democratic government to forbid it by law, rather than advise it, but after six months it's a massive failure for a government to have to resort to it again.

Absolutely massive failure.

By any sane measure the situation is worse now in Scotland than anywhere else in Britain or Ireland. How long can the SNP retain the confidence of the Scottish public?

Yes this could be Sturgeon's dementia tax or poll tax if it is seen as being done unnecessarily, as May found it does not matter how big your poll lead one disastrously unpopular policy can see it disappear overnight
    If some-one has the courage to oppose it.
    By definition the Tories are as Boris is sticking with the rule of 6, I have seen no evidence Starmer, Leonard or Davey back Sturgeon on this yet either
    Why risk embarrassing yourself again? We all know what Scotland does today, Bozo does tomorrow
    Boris will study the Scottish polls over the next week or two, if the SNP poll rating declines he will stick to his guns
    So that is what following the science means.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,395
    Still quoting reporting day numbers instead of specimen date.....
  • Options
    If the GOP does approve a replacement to RBG but the Democrats regain the Senate and Oval Office then the very first thing that the Democrats must do in the new session is not consider changes to SCOTUS but instead to work to approve the admission of Puerto Rico and New Carolina as new States with 2 Senators each.
  • Options
    That’s what an exponential increase looks like.
  • Options

Yes but no games of basketball...indoor spin class fine, watching Tenet fine, outside yoga class of 7, computer says no.
    I fail to see how if organized sport indoors is too risky, how gym classes are ok, but they you go.

This might be "clarified", but the gym i used to do classes have messaged members to say the response they got was that gym classes don't count in this ban on indoor organized sport and will continue as normal (with more than 6 people)
  • Options

Seems reasonable for testing as opposed to death which lags much more.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817

"My conservative friends have got used to having 9 Justices over the decades."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296

And ignoring weekend effects (which in fairness seem less than they were).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Specimen day numbers look pretty terrible too, 4.4k on the 18th with an incomplete dataset.
  • Options

As far as I know the NT isn't proposing to rename any of their properties, they simply want to provide more information to visitors, which seems about as far from "rewriting history" as it's possible to be. I'm not qualified to talk about the example you give since the only thing I know about Hume is his role in developing the quantity theory of money. Mind you, I think there is a difference between naming a building after somebody and simply having the building go by its street address, since the name of the street is outwith their control, and in any case who knows which George is being referred to? Could be George Clooney.

Given that David Hume was one of the greatest figures of the Scottish Enlightenment, I'd have thought Scottish institutions should be naming new buildings after him, not removing his name from existing ones, given the astonishing degree of ignorance there seems to be about him.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

That’s the other option, but would give the Dems more justification for stuffing the court after the election without mentioning it before, and also motivate their base to turn out.

There’s also the risk of a couple of recalcitrant Senators throwing a spanner in the works as an FU to Trump.

Complex game theory in action!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That’s what an exponential increase looks like.
    To infinity and beyond....
  • Options
    Testing for the 22nd only at 188k, that's a low figure all things considered.
  • Options

Meanwhile, the Assembly Rooms in Bath were named due to the city's connections to the wider colonial and slave economies during the 18th Century.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8759219/National-Trust-accused-rewriting-history-property-list-shame-colonial-links.html

If that is your standard, I could have saved the National Trust time, effort and money and simply said rewritten every old building in the UK is linked to slavery, the empire or something else that is now deemed inappropriate. Full Stop.

Incredible that simply providing a factual record of what happened in the past is now labelled "rewriting history". As a NT member I am really happy that they've done this work. I always like to know as much as possible about the history of the places we visit, although obviously I am mostly there for the cream teas.
    It would be a pretty odd kind of history that wasn't constantly rewritten.
    Or perhaps just the kind that you learned when young, and left it at that.
  • Options
    Same time next week for new restrictions....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

As far as I know the NT isn't proposing to rename any of their properties, they simply want to provide more information to visitors, which seems about as far from "rewriting history" as it's possible to be. I'm not qualified to talk about the example you give since the only thing I know about Hume is his role in developing the quantity theory of money. Mind you, I think there is a difference between naming a building after somebody and simply having the building go by its street address, since the name of the street is outwith their control, and in any case who knows which George is being referred to? Could be George Clooney.

Given that David Hume was one of the greatest figures of the Scottish Enlightenment, I'd have thought Scottish institutions should be naming new buildings after him, not removing his name from existing ones, given the astonishing degree of ignorance there seems to be about him.
    That's what I thought. But this is problematic:

I am apt to suspect the Negroes to be naturally inferior to the Whites. There never was a civilized nation of any other complexion than white, nor even any individual eminent either in action or speculation. No ingenious manufacturer amongst them, no arts, no sciences. On the other hand, the most rude and barbarous of the Whites, such as the ancient German, the present Tartars, still have something eminent about them, in their valor, form of government, or some other particular. Such a uniform and constant difference could not happen in so many countries and ages, if nature had not made an original distinction betwixt these breeds of men. Not to mention our colonies, there are Negro slaves dispersed all over Europe, of whom none ever discovered any symptoms of ingenuity; though low people, without education, will start up amongst us, and distinguish themselves in every profession. In Jamaica, indeed, they talk of one Negro as a man of parts and learning; but it is likely he is admired for slender accomplishments, like a parrot who speaks a few words plainly.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Just had an email from Eventbrite offering me the chance to vote in the US election!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

If the GOP does approve a replacement to RBG but the Democrats regain the Senate and Oval Office then the very first thing that the Democrats must do in the new session is not consider changes to SCOTUS but instead to work to approve the admission of Puerto Rico and New Carolina as new States with 2 Senators each.

And DC.
  • Options
    So I feel a thread about AV and the Presidential election coming up
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Jofra's hit three sixes off the first three balls of the last over in the IPL
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Good luck with that, now that he's been ex-Humed by the woke police.

Hopefully they won't do it literally, once they trace the sounds of spinning to Calton Hill...
  • Options
    WOW, actual prison.

Now, about the 2022 World Cup in Qatar...
  • Options

Wine experts of PB, I had a deliciously sweet and crisp Chardonnay at an Italian restaurant a while back and I think it was this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colombella-Bianco-Salento-Puglia-2011/dp/B00CJEDZKM#ace-g3536363283

It doesn't seem to be widely available. What do I need to look for if I want to buy something similar? I know nothing about wine apart from that specific one being delicious.

That's not a Chardonnay, it's a Trebbiano, so it won't be the wine you had (or else you were mistaken on the grape).

There are lots of good white wines from Puglia, and indeed all over Italy, nowadays.
  • Options
    BBC News - Changes to gender recognition laws ruled out
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54246686
  • Options

McConnell before the last election swore not to approve any Clinton nominees for her entire term if he had the votes.
  • Options
    isam said:

4/4!
  • Options

And DC.
    That's what I meant by New Carolina, I meant to say New Columbia which is the proposed State name for DC. It wouldn't make sense for DC to still be called a District once its a State.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

WOW, actual prison.

Not yet, just a recommendation, the defence sets out their case tomorrow.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

4/4!
    and the last two were off no balls, so four to come
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

That’s the other option, but would give the Dems more justification for stuffing the court after the election without mentioning it before, and also motivate their base to turn out.

There’s also the risk of a couple of recalcitrant Senators throwing a spanner in the works as an FU to Trump.

Also, if Cory Gardner thinks he's toast anyway, he's less likely to go against his party, as he'll be thinking of lobbying jobs post the election.

This is, of course, sucky for McSally. The last thing she wants to do in a very competitive Senate race is be stuck in Washington while Mark Kelly is campaigning in Arizona.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

4/4!
    He never bats like that for England.
  • Options

"My conservative friends have got used to having 9 Justices over the decades."
    And a mere fifty states.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date, scaled to 100K population

• Options

Wine experts of PB, I had a deliciously sweet and crisp Chardonnay at an Italian restaurant a while back and I think it was this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colombella-Bianco-Salento-Puglia-2011/dp/B00CJEDZKM#ace-g3536363283

It doesn't seem to be widely available. What do I need to look for if I want to buy something similar? I know nothing about wine apart from that specific one being delicious.

That's not a Chardonnay, it's a Trebbiano, so it won't be the wine you had (or else you were mistaken on the grape).

There are lots of good white wines from Puglia, and indeed all over Italy, nowadays.
    For some reason, Chardonnay has always tasted of soap to me.
  • Options
    UK case by specimen date

• Options

A bit of a puzzle. Since Chardonnay won’t have been sweet, and the wine you linked to isn’t a Chardonnay anyway.

The thing about Italian Wines is that they go well with food, and what you think of them often surprisingly hangs on what you were eating at the time. Buy the same wine and drink it on its own and you will find it too acidic.

Trebbiano, which is the grape of your linked bottle, mostly makes plonk, or is so bad that it is turned into brandy instead. Or used to make vinegar.

The best reasonable widely available Trebbianos are from Orvieto. Orvieto DOC wines do come in sweet and off dry styles as well as dry.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

WOW, actual prison.

Not yet, just a recommendation, the defence sets out their case tomorrow.
    Yeah whoops, read that wrong. Hopefully actual prison, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    FF43 said:

I am apt to suspect the Negroes to be naturally inferior to the Whites. There never was a civilized nation of any other complexion than white, nor even any individual eminent either in action or speculation. No ingenious manufacturer amongst them, no arts, no sciences. On the other hand, the most rude and barbarous of the Whites, such as the ancient German, the present Tartars, still have something eminent about them, in their valor, form of government, or some other particular. Such a uniform and constant difference could not happen in so many countries and ages, if nature had not made an original distinction betwixt these breeds of men. Not to mention our colonies, there are Negro slaves dispersed all over Europe, of whom none ever discovered any symptoms of ingenuity; though low people, without education, will start up amongst us, and distinguish themselves in every profession. In Jamaica, indeed, they talk of one Negro as a man of parts and learning; but it is likely he is admired for slender accomplishments, like a parrot who speaks a few words plainly.
    Tha'ts the Scottish Enlightenment for you :smile:
    (...ducks incoming turnip.)
  • Options

Just had an email from Eventbrite offering me the chance to vote in the US election!

I've just had an offer "To buy before demand rockets" for a Trump 2020 victory gold medallion!
  • Options
    Several people have asked for access to the original spreadsheets - PM me...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    can;t be long before Sunak U-turns on furlough support can it?

Without it the numbers look....well....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2020
    FF43 said:

What's problematic about it? Are we such snowflakes that we can't understand that attitudes in 1750 were very different from what we regard as acceptable today? No doubt they would find our attitudes and behaviour thoroughly reprehensible, come to that. None of that means that Hume wasn't a really major figure in the Scottish Enlightenment.

What's particularly irrational about this whole debate is that, if it wasn't for the Enlightenment, and the progress attributable to people like Hume, the world wouldn't have the notions of equality, human rights, democracy, fair courts, the rule of law, and all those other values by which these people are being measured.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Also, if Cory Gardner thinks he's toast anyway, he's less likely to go against his party, as he'll be thinking of lobbying jobs post the election.

This is, of course, sucky for McSally. The last thing she wants to do in a very competitive Senate race is be stuck in Washington while Mark Kelly is campaigning in Arizona.
    Gardner's already toed the party line.
    And good riddance to McSally.
  • Options
    (Burgon)
    "A song that people in our movement will be listening to for decades to come"
  • Options
    isam said:
    When you have a soviet flag behind you with no sense of irony.....

That was labour, once, less than a year ago. Now it's Starmers. He must have been so despairing over the last few years when this lot ran things.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I think you've been drinking the wrong Chardonnays!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Nigelb said:

They’ve overdone it with the lees contact (leaving the dead yeast cells deliberately in contact with the wine, or even stirring them in), which is a French habit with Chardonnay but found the world over. Try another grape or find a producer that prefers the crisper style (Italian Chardonnay, perhaps)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah that's 12d chess thinking.

Trump will nominate Amy Coney Barrett, a judge who thinks the law distracts from her primary job of creating the Kingdom of God, and get her confirmed and then, I don't know, repeal Griswold all before Biden gets in.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    I'm not sure what good it will do to track it. If the cases don't materialise the govt will say "there, our measures worked". If they do, then L2 good and hard here we come.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

I fail to see how if organized sport indoors is too risky, how gym classes are ok, but they you go.

This might be "clarified", but the gym i used to do classes have messaged members to say the response they got was that gym classes don't count in this ban on indoor organized sport and will continue as normal (with more than 6 people)
    I go to the gym. What amazes me is that I am the only one wearing a mask.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

There must be an awful lot of the wrong sort, then.
    I think it's more likely something along the lines of the coriander phenomenon (a similarly loathsome taste for me).
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    FF43 said:

That looks extremely grisly and repellent to modern eyes, but the painful fact is that this was received opinion amongst the educated (and maybe uneducated) classes right across Europe, at that time.

Anyone who didn't think like this was the exception. And they are rare.

So you either tear down every statue or you put them in context. The latter is surely better.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Or he just forgot.
    "...from free speech, to democracy, to...err..."

And no one was 'attacking local test and trace'. They were lamenting the lack of it.

Didiculous.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    edited September 2020

FF43 said:

What's problematic about it? Are we such snowflakes that we can't understand that attitudes in 1750 were very different from what we regard as acceptable today? No doubt they would find our attitudes and behaviour thoroughly reprehensible, come to that. None of that means that Hume wasn't a really major figure in the Scottish Enlightenment.

What's particularly irrational about this whole debate is that, if it wasn't for the Enlightenment, and the progress attributable to people like Hume, the world wouldn't have the notions of equality, human rights, democracy, fair courts, the rule of law, and all those other values by which these people are being measured.
    I don't disagree with any of that. Hume is one of the world's great philosophers and everyone should read him. The question is a twenty first century one of whether rightly multicultural institutions should optionally name buildings after racists. It is different from Melville's Column previously mentioned. The guy's on top of that pillar, you can't pretend it's someone else. David Hume Tower is one of the better 1960's constructions that desecrated the rather elegant 18th C George Square. It would be called Coca Cola Tower if they stumped up enough cash. There is no historical or other link with David Hume.
  • Options

It is a great pity that the franchise - just for this one - cannot be extended to Western Europe.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

And? We shouldn't judge what people said in the 18th century by today's standards. It was a different era, I'm sure if they could see how we live they'd find us all to be awful too.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I think it's more likely something along the lines of the coriander phenomenon (a similarly loathsome taste for me).
    There are a lot of over-blown Chardonnays. Anything cheap from Australia, for example. But a fine steely Chablis...

I understand your loathing of coriander. It has a very strong taste and smell, which can be disagreeable if over-used.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    Between 9 March and 6 September, its data shows:

the UK did more than 16.4m tests
    Germany did 13.3m tests
    Italy did 8.8m tests
    France did 8.3m tests
    On testing relative to the size of a country's population, the UK ranks highly (over the same period): the UK did 246 tests for every 1,000 people compared with Germany which tested 160 per 1,000

What's France's excuse for doing so few tests?
  • Options

Germany did 13.3m tests
    Italy did 8.8m tests
    France did 8.3m tests
    On testing relative to the size of a country's population, the UK ranks highly (over the same period): the UK did 246 tests for every 1,000 people compared with Germany which tested 160 per 1,000

Isn't that slightly misleading as we include the antibody testing in our figures, which in managing a pandemic/exponential growth therein isn't useful.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Before every single Presidential election we are always told it may decide Supreme Court for a generation.

The reality is you never know. Unexpected things can happen.

Thomas is 72, Alito 70, Roberts 65 - sure they may well all go on another 10+ years but it's far from certain - if the Democrats now get two terms they might replace two of them.

Plus you have Roberts being more centrist on some issues.

Finally with religion in steep decline, even from a high base, it's not going to be tenable for the Supreme Court to push things too far.
  • Options

Germany did 13.3m tests
    Italy did 8.8m tests
    France did 8.3m tests

Isn't that slightly misleading as we include the antibody testing in our figures, which in managing a pandemic/exponential growth therein isn't useful.
    The UK has a large antibody testing *capacity* but isn't using it much

See Pillar 3 - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

• Options

I thought formal class teaching was an exemption to the rule of 6. Has that changed already?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Germany did 13.3m tests
    Italy did 8.8m tests
    France did 8.3m tests

According to the BBC, which is were i copy pasted it from, they are just the number of antigen tests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/54181291
  • Options
    edited September 2020

FF43 said:

It's interesting to ponder what the unenlightened believed about race back then.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

There are a lot of over-blown Chardonnays. Anything cheap from Australia, for example. But a fine steely Chablis...

I understand your loathing of coriander. It has a very strong taste and smell, which can be disagreeable if over-used.
    Coriander is wonderful and you can’t have too much of it.

But I believe Nigel is referring to a phenomenon where for a minority of people, coriander tastes quite different, for some genetic reason
  • Options

Germany did 13.3m tests
    Italy did 8.8m tests
    France did 8.3m tests

The UK has a large antibody testing *capacity* but isn't using it much

See Pillar 3 - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

Germany did 13.3m tests
    Italy did 8.8m tests
    France did 8.3m tests

According to the BBC, which is were i copy pasted it from, there are number of antigen tests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/54181291
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Romney's statement is very carefully worded. He is not committing to supporting whoever Trump might nominate; instead, he's committing only to decide on the basis of the merits of the candidate, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Scott_xP said:
    It just shows, as exemplified by the PB Tory tribe, that your average Tory is not the brightest pea in the pod!
  • Options
    isam said:
    You'll be sticking to Waters and the Floyd?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    A twenty year term limit would fix that.
    Imposed by an incoming Democratic Congress, it would still allow a 5-4 Republican Court led by Roberts for the entire term of the next Presidency, so would be an entirely even handed reform.
  • Options

isam said:
    When you have a soviet flag behind you with no sense of irony.....

That was labour, once, less than a year ago. Now it's Starmers. He must have been so despairing over the last few years when this lot ran things.
    The B-side?

https://twitter.com/ogiovetti/status/1307640183307862027?s=20

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    "While Boris was Mayor of London, I was letting off Jimmy Saville"

"When I was prosecuting terrorists, the current Mayor of London was their lawyer!"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He comes across as a man who senses that he is losing, but isn’t quite sure to whom. It isn’t the virus, nor is it the opposition. He is being beaten by his own unfitness to do the job, and there is no campaign to remedy that.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    One thing that struck me from a recent Sam Harris podcast with Siddhartha Mukherjee, a very valid point was made.

With COVID, your focus should be to use testing to find the disease, not wait for the disease to come to you.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I find it cloying. But I'm a budget wine drinker. Perhaps if I was prepared to go above £4.95.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah that's 12d chess thinking.

Trump will nominate Amy Coney Barrett, a judge who thinks the law distracts from her primary job of creating the Kingdom of God, and get her confirmed and then, I don't know, repeal Griswold all before Biden gets in.
    The Florida woman is just as likely, as she has form in attempting to fix elections.
    Would suit Trump's transactional nature.
  • Options
    It seems the Premier League are pleading for financial aid following the delay in allowing fans into grounds

You do have to wonder what planet they are on.

Apparently 100 million a month is suggested , just the amount Manchester United are considering paying for one player

Not one penny should be given to these clubs who pay millions for players and millions a week for wages

Time to take an axe to the number of players on their books and their salaries if they are so hard up

This discussion has been closed.