Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fisking the PM – examining the background to his controversial

Comments

• BTW, are we ever getting a tracking app?
  • eek said:

Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Is anyone offering odds on whether Boris is going to end up cancelling Christmas this year? As in, no household mixing permitted. Everyone cooking sad little joints of turkey on the crown, pulling a cracker over zoom and all that jazz.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1303063043396558853
    Where are the signs that hospitalisations are increasing exponentially, though ?

I may not be an expert, but I don't see it.
    Hopefully its not just lagging two weeks.

Test and Trace is our best weapon in getting as back to normal as possible while still fighting this damned virus.

If its just a case that late at night the slots have been booked and they'll be back 9am tomorrow morning that's fine - if there's a shortage and rationing again though, that is very worrying - and loss of control can't be that far behind.

I hope Hancock is on top of this and we don't hear any more bloody inane talk of getting people who are perfectly happy working from home to be out and about instead. Lets get back to normal with people who WANT to be out and about.
    Given that all capacity is booked for the next 2 weeks what does waiting to tomorrow when appointments are available on September 22nd achieve?

Are people booking tests who have no symptoms and not been contacted by Track and Trace? Just a thought.
    Are we saying that a million plus tests a week which is what is happening now is not enough ?
    When the cold and flu season hits I think we will need closer to a million a day.
    Flu season may not be as bad as normal, what with all that hand washing, sanitiser and social distancing.
    Yes that is probably true, but if I was responsible for planning how much capacity we will need, not sure I would want to rely on that theory.
  • Foxy said:

So we can discount the old second wave is linked to cold weather stuff to be the absolute bollocks it always was now then?

I don't think there has ever been evidence of climate affecting the Covid-19 pandemic.
    https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/covid-19-worse-in-colder-weather
  • It must be bad. they have allowed Van Tam out in public.
  • moonshine said:

Something very odd is going on when they are doing upto 350k tests a day of which even with the increase in numbers only 2% are positive, while at the same time it seems there is still loads of people complaining about no capacity.

I think a lot of those tests are being wasted, in the sense that they’re being spent on people at no particularly elevated risk of being positive but who carry an increased medical or commercial risk. Every maternity ward in-patient for example. Every squad member of every professional sports team. No doubt business execs too. And as has been mentioned, the perennially worried who lie on an online form because they’re taking the kids to see granny next week.

Something pretty wrong that a dr can prescribe Mr Gate a test but not immediately be able to take the swab there and then. Meanwhile proper Charlies in the premier league get weekly tests so they can keep their extra curricular activities going unimpeded.
    I am fairly certain all the pro sportsmen and women getting tested aren't done via the government system. I believe it is all privately run.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

BTW, are we ever getting a tracking app?

No.
  • Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:
    So why did he sign it, win a GE on the back of it and push it through Parliament in record time?

Maybe he’s only just read it? Or understood it?
    "... some of the consequences were unforseen at the time..." - they were not unforseen. Those pointing them out were shouted down and called traitors
    It was the main news story for weeks, that they can claim its unforeseen shows how much contempt they have for the truth.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    dixiedean said:

Nice to see IDS has identified a new group of fraudsters and skivers preventing this great nation from unleashing its undoubted righteous potential.
    Benefit claimants, the EU, now...er, business owners.
    Sanction them quick.
    I would be surprised if there wasn't furlough fraud on such a scale.

I know a number of small companies where a spouse gets a significant salary as "diary secretary" etc, where the spouse was furloughed and got paid by the taxpayer. This wouldn't be fraud, just sharp practice.

I didn't furlough anyone in my Private Practice company.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    MaxPB said:

Something very odd is going on when they are doing upto 350k tests a day of which even with the increase in numbers only 2% are positive, while at the same time it seems there is still loads of people complaining about no capacity.

The capacity is not mobile enough, it can't be rapidly expanded in problem areas.
    That's the big difference with the new testing kit, it's not lab based so it can be spread far and wide. Results will be within an hour or two as well. In principle it should make targetting and scaling up local testing much easier.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Alistair said:

stodge said:

Another observation is American conservatives seem very well entrenched on the Internet - the Federalist and American Greatness among others have writers who are totally subservient to Trump and will slam Biden for anything and everything.

The Top 10 shared posts on Facebook every week are almost entirely dominated by American Conservative News Sources.
    Must be all those shy trumpers
  • kinabalu said:

I see Owen Jones is trying to get somebody cancelled from Twitter again.

His new book is out. This Land - The Story of a Movement. I'm getting it.
    The "movement" that achieved precisely nothing other than five more years of Tory government.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2020

Alistair said:

Very odd.

Only thing I can think of that makes sense is a surge of paranoid people getting an unnecessary test simultaneously because of back to school playing on their minds.
    Week before Scottish schools went back approx 550 tests of 5-11 year olds in Scotland

Week ending 30th August, 17,000 tests of 5-11 year olds.
    Why?

Is that parents or teachers ordering those tests?

They can't all have been reporting symptoms can they? Or is this like a back to school version of "Freshers Flu"?
    Persistent cough, temperature, loss of taste/smell.

Anyone 1 of those symptoms is sufficient cause to book a test.

1 week after starting back my child had a cough and temp so off to the testing centre we went.
  • MaxPB said:

No.
    I have been rather busy past few months, has the google / apple api been found to be a bust or are the UK government still using a load of monkeys with typewriters to code an app ontop?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,855

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:
    So why did he sign it, win a GE on the back of it and push it through Parliament in record time?

Ken Clarke did not read the Maastricht treaty. Perhaps Clarke is his inspiration.
    Clarke was clued up on the essentials. And so was Johnson. It's just relentless mendacity with him.
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

The capacity is not mobile enough, it can't be rapidly expanded in problem areas.
    That's the big difference with the new testing kit, it's not lab based so it can be spread far and wide. Results will be within an hour or two as well. In principle it should make targetting and scaling up local testing much easier.
    Let's see when they actually get the new testing kits out there. There's a lot of talk so far but no action.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

moonshine said:

I think a lot of those tests are being wasted, in the sense that they’re being spent on people at no particularly elevated risk of being positive but who carry an increased medical or commercial risk. Every maternity ward in-patient for example. Every squad member of every professional sports team. No doubt business execs too. And as has been mentioned, the perennially worried who lie on an online form because they’re taking the kids to see granny next week.

Something pretty wrong that a dr can prescribe Mr Gate a test but not immediately be able to take the swab there and then. Meanwhile proper Charlies in the premier league get weekly tests so they can keep their extra curricular activities going unimpeded.
    I am fairly certain all the pro sportsmen and women getting tested aren't done via the government system. I believe it is all privately run.
    Aren’t they still included in the stats though?
  • Scott_xP said:
    And that kind of language adds nothing to the debate
    It's a fukkin disgrace, so it is.

MaxPB said:

No.
    I have been rather busy past few months, has the google / apple api been found to be a bust or are the UK government still using a load of monkeys with typewriters to code an app ontop?
    A bit of both. The results from German app are poor and it seems to be a hindrance. Form filling and door knockers seems to be the best solution.

Simply stunning admission of Johnson’s incompetence on that Telegraph front page - he really hadn’t read the WA or he had not understood it. None of them had. It’s no surprise, but extraordinary they admit it.

Boris Johnson is a lazy and dishonest blagger? I'm shocked! Here's my shocked face. :|

Foxy said:

So we can discount the old second wave is linked to cold weather stuff to be the absolute bollocks it always was now then?

I don't think there has ever been evidence of climate affecting the Covid-19 pandemic.
    Ah yes, that will be why Georgia had it's much larger second peak in *checks notes* mid July.

Ah, I see the have an aircon get out later in the article.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Ken Clarke did not read the Maastricht treaty. Perhaps Clarke is his inspiration.
    Clarke did not try to repudiate it.

I do hope the writers of this exciting new series of Brexit have a surprise for us. Like the EU telling Johnson that he can have the May deal instead, if he wants......

That would be quite funny.
  • So Johnson admits that his great deal creates a border in the Irish Sea, something Philip assured us was not true.

Oh well, sure he's got something else to spin now
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,855

kinabalu said:

I see Owen Jones is trying to get somebody cancelled from Twitter again.

His new book is out. This Land - The Story of a Movement. I'm getting it.
    The "movement" that achieved precisely nothing other than five more years of Tory government.
    Harsh. There’s more to politics than the 2019 GE result. And I rate Jones as a pundit and writer.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    I've met people in business who run negotiations like this and what I've most noticed is their ability to just move on to the next thing. Ah well didn't work out, whats next.

It's extremely difficult to handle both when you are on the same as well as the opposite side of the table. It does, however, work on occasion. I'd actually not bet on this approach failing on this occasion.
  • Tests per day is dropping, suggesting increase detection is not down to more tests...

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

02-09-2020 175,687
    01-09-2020 181,934
    31-08-2020 182,065
    30-08-2020 183,510
    29-08-2020 197,211
    28-08-2020 203,416
    27-08-2020 208,835

That really is a lot of tests in a week
  • Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Very odd.

Only thing I can think of that makes sense is a surge of paranoid people getting an unnecessary test simultaneously because of back to school playing on their minds.
    Week before Scottish schools went back approx 550 tests of 5-11 year olds in Scotland

Week ending 30th August, 17,000 tests of 5-11 year olds.
    Why?

Is that parents or teachers ordering those tests?

They can't all have been reporting symptoms can they? Or is this like a back to school version of "Freshers Flu"?
    Persistent cough, temperature, loss of taste/smell.

Anyone 1 of those symptoms is sufficient cause to book a test.

1 week after starting back my child had a cough and temp so off to the testing centre we went.
    They could probably do with clarifying "high temperature" - shouldnt there be a number cut off? What if you feel hot and feverish but you have a thermometer and your actual temperature is in the normal range?
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

Let's see when they actually get the new testing kits out there. There's a lot of talk so far but no action.
    Some hospitals already have the DnaNudge machines, I don't know about Nanopore's kit.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Clarke did not try to repudiate it.

I do hope the writers of this exciting new series of Brexit have a surprise for us. Like the EU telling Johnson that he can have the May deal instead, if he wants......

That would be quite funny.
    Signing up to Customs Union, and EU standards gets around the NI problem including the current WDA. No customs borders then needed on land or sea.

We have been here before, but Brexit has always been about ever decreasing circles...
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,288
    Presumably all those Tory MPs who are pledged to support Boris's Deal will have to vote with the opposition if Boris tries to scupper it?

"Boris Johnson today reveals that every Conservative parliamentary candidate has personally pledged to vote his Brexit deal through the House of Commons if he wins a majority."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/16/boris-johnson-every-tory-election-candidate-has-pledged-back/
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

Some hospitals already have the DnaNudge machines, I don't know about Nanopore's kit.
    Why deploy them at hospitals though? That seems like a waste of resources, they need to be deployed at universities and schools where the majority of cases are coming from.
  • Sweden doesn't have an uptick like UK.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    MaxPB said:

No.
    That's not true. Someone's using Visual Basic as we speak to get it up and running.

Sweden doesn't have an uptick like UK.

At the moment...

MaxPB said:

No.
    Google and Apple have made some changes to their API and the services, but as yet I've still not read of any country using a Bluetooth proximity based app having much success wtih them. None of the apps seem to be getting sufficient levels of use to make this approach work well. The few apps that do work are location data based and centralised, and then there are the countries using mobile signalling data.
  • Taking the country to no deal because you hadn’t understood the international treaty you signed and then made law is quite a thing. It feeds perfectly into the complete incompetence narrative now being built by Labour. The Tories cannot get anything right. They are clueless.
  • Tests per day is dropping, suggesting increase detection is not down to more tests...

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

02-09-2020 175,687
    01-09-2020 181,934
    31-08-2020 182,065
    30-08-2020 183,510
    29-08-2020 197,211
    28-08-2020 203,416
    27-08-2020 208,835

That's not accurate Kurt. There has always been a day of the week effect in all of these testing figures so you need to compare each day for the like-for-like same day of the previous week to make comparisons.

Using the dates you chose.
    Week Day This week Previous week
    Wednesday 175,687 186,500
    Tuesday 181,934 153,393
    Monday 182,065 175,209
    Sunday 183,510 181,455
    Saturday 197,211 191,360
    Friday 203,416 183,933
    Thursday 208,835 190,434
    So tests were up on a like-for-like comparison every single day you selected apart from the Wednesday.
  • Yokes said:

I've met people in business who run negotiations like this and what I've most noticed is their ability to just move on to the next thing. Ah well didn't work out, whats next.

It's extremely difficult to handle both when you are on the same as well as the opposite side of the table. It does, however, work on occasion. I'd actually not bet on this approach failing on this occasion.

One of the things about BoJo's career thus far has been his ability to move on to the next thing, but also to make the next thing a step up. I'm not sure it's a morally good thing, but you can't help but admire it at some level.

But now he's planted himself in No 10, where can he go?
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

Why deploy them at hospitals though? That seems like a waste of resources, they need to be deployed at universities and schools where the majority of cases are coming from.
    I believe that that is also part of the plan, but hospitals are high priority as you want to screen people coming into A&E or clinics as quickly as possible.
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

I believe that that is also part of the plan, but hospitals are high priority as you want to screen people coming into A&E or clinics as quickly as possible.
    I'm not sure that's true, hospitals probably aren't the largest source of new infections due to masks and other measures, university campuses and halls will be in two weeks and secondary schools definitely are.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020

So Johnson admits that his great deal creates a border in the Irish Sea, something Philip assured us was not true.

I have never once said it doesn't create a border in the Irish Sea.

I said I don't care if it creates a border in the Irish Sea if that border is consisted of arrangements which Stormont MLAs can end the arrangements if the NI voters are unhappy.

So long as the voters are happy its OK to have special arrangements. If they're not, then there representatives should vote to end them.
  • Yokes said:

One of the things about BoJo's career thus far has been his ability to move on to the next thing, but also to make the next thing a step up. I'm not sure it's a morally good thing, but you can't help but admire it at some level.

President of the US 2028 if he can get his citizenship back.
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

We have machines that test and give answers within hours, useful for emergency admissions. They don't seem very robust though, and seem out of order a bit too often.
  • Taking the country to no deal because you hadn’t understood the international treaty you signed and then made law is quite a thing. It feeds perfectly into the complete incompetence narrative now being built by Labour. The Tories cannot get anything right. They are clueless.

Starmer has a real problem on Wednesday. There is so much incompetence this week where does he start?
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    edited September 2020

Mask wearing is not a requirement in Sweden. It is in France, Spain, the UK etc where cases are increasing quickly. What has happened is exactly as I predicted 6 weeks ago. People wearing masks do not socially distance. Even the latest amazon advert has people wearing masks standing next to each other chatting.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587
    Professor collapses and dies in front of virtual class amid COVID-19 symptoms
    https://nypost.com/2020/09/07/professor-dies-in-front-of-virtual-class-amid-covid-19-symptoms/
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure that's true, hospitals probably aren't the largest source of new infections due to masks and other measures, university campuses and halls will be in two weeks and secondary schools definitely are.
    But hospitals do have lots of vulnerable people in them. AFAIK hospitals, then care homes, followed by other places in the community like schools are the priorities.

Starmer has a real problem on Wednesday. There is so much incompetence this week where does he start?
    Maybe ask the PM when he finally realised what was in the international treaty he signed, commended to the British people and insisted every prospective Tory MP backed unequivocally.

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2020
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.
    That's not true. Someone's using Visual Basic as we speak to get it up and running.
    Probably more reliable than Python.......

function Coat.get( Hat ) {
    exit;
    }
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Ah yes, that will be why Georgia had it's much larger second peak in *checks notes* mid July.

Ah, I see the have an aircon get out later in the article.
    Careful. Some Covidiot will be saying "but there has only been 19 deaths in total in Georgia" meaning the country.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Yokes said:

The problem about "moving on to the next thing" is of course that the other thing doesn't go away if you decide not to focus on it
    Not when you are PM.
    The widely spotted problems with the WDA didn't during Covid.
    Covid won't cos he wants us to talk about Brexit.
    And of course, the fact he has assembled a Tory coalition of wildly competing interests and ideologies. Which is the basis for all the u-turning in the first place.
  • rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.
    I could do it in Basic:

10 PRINT "Not working"
    20 GOTO 10

Maybe ask the PM when he finally realised what was in the international treaty he signed, commended to the British people and insisted every prospective Tory MP backed unequivocally.

Does explain why he swore blind that there would be no border for goods in the Irish Sea.

He had never read the document that introduced such a border.
    Nigelb said:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/07/professor-dies-in-front-of-virtual-class-amid-covid-19-symptoms/

This kind of post gives me a heart attack!
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

But hospitals do have lots of vulnerable people in them. AFAIK hospitals, then care homes, followed by other places in the community like schools are the priorities.
    That seems to be the wrong way around it's adopting a siege mentality which is ultimately self defeating.

Taking the country to no deal because you hadn’t understood the international treaty you signed and then made law is quite a thing. It feeds perfectly into the complete incompetence narrative now being built by Labour. The Tories cannot get anything right. They are clueless.

I think we need a new word for this, as previous ones are not good enough. Could I suggest: pan-omni-cluster-shambles?

Pity we aren't German. They are very good at such neologisms.
  • glw said:

MaxPB said:

No.
    Google and Apple have made some changes to their API and the services, but as yet I've still not read of any country using a Bluetooth proximity based app having much success wtih them. None of the apps seem to be getting sufficient levels of use to make this approach work well. The few apps that do work are location data based and centralised, and then there are the countries using mobile signalling data.
    I believe as I said 6+ months ago, the only effective way to do this is like South Korea, where you effectively have state spying and the West will never go for that (hence all the decentralised encrypted stuff).

If Starmer's sensible he'll avoid Brexit at PMQs. His record on the subject will only be thrown back at him in bucket loads.
    Foxy said:

Taking the country to no deal because you hadn’t understood the international treaty you signed and then made law is quite a thing. It feeds perfectly into the complete incompetence narrative now being built by Labour. The Tories cannot get anything right. They are clueless.

I think we need a new word for this, as previous ones are not good enough. Could I suggest: pan-omni-cluster-shambles?

Isn’t FUBAR good enough?

Does explain why he swore blind that there would be no border for goods in the Irish Sea.

When Boris was Mayor of London he used to regularly get taken to task at assembly meetings for being ignorant about the things he was meant to be in charge of. Boris could not be arsed to do the job of Mayor properly, he could not be arsed to do the job of Foreign Secretary properly, and he plainly can not be arsed to do the job of Prime Minister properly. He's performing almost exactly as I expected he would.
  • eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

This kind of post gives me a heart attack!
    46, female and definitely not obese from the photo.

Just goes to show when people say this is only affecting obese old men.

Yokes said:

The speaker circuit. He should never have left it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

If Starmer's sensible he'll avoid Brexit at PMQs. His record on the subject will only be thrown back at him in bucket loads.
    One question on it perhaps but he should major on Covid. The EU is a wedge issue Labour can't win on, best to let the Gov't stew in its own juices on that one.
    glw said:

When Boris was Mayor of London he used to regularly get taken to task at assembly meetings for being ignorant about the things he was meant to be in charge of. Boris could not be arsed to do the job of Mayor properly, he could not be arsed to do the job of Foreign Secretary properly, and he plainly can not be arsed to do the job of Prime Minister properly. He's performing almost exactly as I expected he would.
    Yet many of his colleagues are surprised!
  • It's been a pleasure. Good night all.
  • Foxy said:

Vot about Ein-omni-kluster-fooken? Or do we need to remove the dashes? Einomniklusterfooken....

;)
  • Cyclefree said:

Yokes said:

Who would want him? After this shambles? He makes even Gerald Ratner pale into insignificance.

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }
    You do realise that Python is probably the programming language most geared towards test driven development, right?

(Not to mention the almost 1:1 correlation between more readable and more maintainable.)

So don't talk to me about 'reliability'.

Normally, I’d agree. But taking the country to No Deal because you had not understood the international treaty you signed is perhaps the one way Johnson will struggle to rally the troops. It’s an admission of almost surreal levels of incompetence.

Foxy said:

Vot about Ein-omni-kluster-fooken? Or do we need to remove the dashes? Einomniklusterfooken....

;)
    Surely a “World-Beating Omni-Shambles”.
    Nice joke.

Terrible Photoshop of Bianca Jagger.

Foxy said:

;)
    This one does cover the Prime Ministers situation:

die Schuldaufdeckungsangst – the fear that you will be found out
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }
    You do realise that Python is probably the programming language most geared towards test driven development, right?

(Not to mention the almost 1:1 correlation between more readable and more maintainable.)

Oh Christ, something to set people off more than Brexit....the old Python vs A.N.Other programming language debate.
  • Paris St-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss France's Nations League match against Croatia on Tuesday.

Are there any footballers who are COVID negative?

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }

Oh Christ, something to set people off more than Brexit....the old Python vs A.N.Other programming language debate.
    There is no debate.

Python is simply better.

Foxy said:

;)
    Certainly no hyphens but "ein" is its own word

Ein Totalklusterarschfick gets close.

And surprise surpise, it is a masculin word.

• rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }

There is no debate.

Python is simply better.
    Now what about Tensorflow vs PyTorch?
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }

We haven't done Radiohead for a while have we?

Thank goodness.

*ducks*
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

;)
    Surely a “World-Beating Omni-Shambles”.
    Ganzweltgewinnindurcheinanderverwirrung?
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

;)
    This one does cover the Prime Ministers situation:

die Schuldaufdeckungsangst – the fear that you will be found out
    Interesting example. The German word "Schuld" means both guilt and debt. So we don't know if Boris' fear of being caught out is because he is guilty, or because he got into uncontrollable debt problems.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited September 2020

So Johnson admits that his great deal creates a border in the Irish Sea, something Philip assured us was not true.

I have never once said it doesn't create a border in the Irish Sea.

I said I don't care if it creates a border in the Irish Sea if that border is consisted of arrangements which Stormont MLAs can end the arrangements if the NI voters are unhappy.

So long as the voters are happy its OK to have special arrangements. If they're not, then there representatives should vote to end them.
    On August 24th you said there was no border down the Irish Sea. https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/2991068#Comment_2991068

I’m sure I can find other examples. That took 5 minutes.
  • eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

;)
    Certainly no hyphens but "ein" is its own word

Ein Totalklusterarschfick gets close.

And surprise surpise, it is a masculin word.

Thank you :+1:
  • Paris St-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss France's Nations League match against Croatia on Tuesday.

About as many as those who can keep it in their pants.

About as many as those who can keep it in their pants.
    Apparently Sun is reporting old Golden Balls also had the plague (and gave it to all his family / staff).

Cyclefree said:

Yokes said:

Who would want him? After this shambles? He makes even Gerald Ratner pale into insignificance.
    Well people pay to hear Mrs May speak. Apparently she’s made a million quid since leaving. And she’s not exactly Mrs Charisma is she. Nor does she have any successes to her name.

So there seems to be a market for useless ex-British PMs.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }

We haven't done Radiohead for a while have we?

Thank goodness.

*ducks*
    You mean "Der Radiokopf" :-)
  • Nigelb said:
    Oh my.

I'm trying hard not to engage in schadenfreude but knowing nobody got hurt, that its called the "SS MAGAritaville" and his line about "if I'm not going to wear a mask, I'm not going to wear a lifejacket" . . . is making it difficult not to see the funny side in this.

https://twitter.com/BloodwingBX/status/1302392204061794309
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620

Mask wearing is not a requirement in Sweden. It is in France, Spain, the UK etc where cases are increasing quickly. What has happened is exactly as I predicted 6 weeks ago. People wearing masks do not socially distance. Even the latest amazon advert has people wearing masks standing next to each other chatting.
    Much of that is probably because nobody can understand a word you are saying when you are masked. I had to repeat myself three times in Sainsbury’s the other day because the girl at the till couldn’t understand me.
  • Cyclefree said:

Yokes said:

If the next six months go the way they might, the only gig BoJo might be able to get is being placed in stocks, so that paying punters can throw rotten fruit at him.

But, more seriously, the comparison with Gyles Brandreth feels relevant. Both clearly bright, Oxford Union types, both ambitious and capable of playing to the crowd. Both Conservative MPs...

One of them recognised their limits and, if not a National Treasure, is certainly a National Sweetie. The other?
    MrEd said:
    I do not see how he possibly justifies the Arizona figure given the shifts he applies to other states.

Also we don't have final voter registration figures. Both parties register voters right up until the deadline. In fact late surges in voter registration is the norm.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587

Nigelb said:
    Oh my.

I'm trying hard not to engage in schadenfreude but knowing nobody got hurt, that its called the "SS MAGAritaville" and his line about "if I'm not going to wear a mask, I'm not going to wear a lifejacket" . . . is making it difficult not to see the funny side in this.
    I believe he is a comedian - granted it’s hard to tell these days.
    And it is indeed very funny.

• rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }

You do realise that I do not care... After about my first dozen programming languages I realised that they are all basically the same, just a matter of syntax and semantics. Apart from Smalltalk...
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Yokes said:

Well people pay to hear Mrs May speak. Apparently she’s made a million quid since leaving. And she’s not exactly Mrs Charisma is she. Nor does she have any successes to her name.

So there seems to be a market for useless ex-British PMs.
    There will certainly be a market for Theresa May's views on Brexit. She got it all right, given the initial mistake of the referendum result. Pity that an unholy alliance of cynical opposition MPs, ultra-loony Brexiteers, a Brexiteer opposition leader, and a self-serving Boris, blew up her well-plotted route out of the mess.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No.

exit;
    }

You do realise that I do not care... After about my first dozen programming languages I realised that they are all basically the same, just a matter of syntax and semantics. Apart from Smalltalk...
    .. and APL.
This discussion has been closed.