Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fisking the PM – examining the background to his controversial

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,531
    edited September 2020
    3 deaths today in the UK compared to 12 in Italy. The figures for France and Spain haven't been released yet.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Cases really picking up now. I wonder why this wasn't seen in the ONS surveys. Maybe it's a case of more intense but localised clusters, which I would guess are more difficult to pick up via random sampling.
    How many of those cases are sick?
    Its seems half (I am obviously being slightly hyperbolic) the premier league footballers have it on return from their holidays and only being picked up because they are all being tested e.g. two Man City players today.

Letting everybody go on a foreign summer holiday in August seems a particular idiotic move, along with the ever changing (it has just changed again) series of "air-bridge" countries.
    People do seem particularly able to pick it up on foreign trips even if the prevalence is similiar in their holiday country. I guess interactions are upped compared to staying at home.
    Maybe airports are festering plague pits. Maybe Johnny Foreigner has far greater use of aircon than if staying at home.

Or maybe too many people get pissed on holiday and enter a "I don't give a shit" phase of denial about the risks?

Covid-19 just LOVES people consuming alcohol.
    The risks from Covid are minuscule for most people though, so it's more people being emboldened to the reality rather than a "denial of the risks".

Yes, I know the risks to some groups are very high – but these people are a tiny minority of the population.
    So that's okay then? Let's all party and fuck those poor sods who die as a consequence.
    Building a nation of granny/grandad killers. I think a fair number won't care but surely that realisation is going to stop reckless behaviour in schools, universities, clubs, parties? Would I have cared when I was young? Actually, I'm not sure, especially if peer pressure was affecting group dynamics. Doing dangerous stupid stuff is par for the course, just that now that the consequences hit not you with a killer hangover and no clothes but someone you've probably never met struggling to breathe and with scarred lungs/heart.
    Or your own parents and grandparents.
    What we are asking the young to do is give up a large part of the prime of their lives. Imagine being 18 in March 2020. What have you been able to do?
    So you think the right to have a drink and a party with your friends is more important than the safety of your elderly relatives? What a nasty, selfish idea.
    It seems like the lives of others are less important than spending a few months unable to party, for some. Ninety percent of other activities are possible, with a little caution, but a few months not partying makes it a large part of the prime of their lives given up completely, apparently.

It does look rather an unpleasant and self-centred stance.
    Sorry but this is completely unaware on a site where youngsters are hardly represented if at all. The generation in charge are handing the youth of today an environmental catastrophe, have failed to provide proper exams, expect students to pay tens of thousands of pounds for courses with limited contact teaching time and social activity, then wont provide enough jobs for those that need them. That's before we get onto housing and the demarcation of politics by age, consistently favouring the elderly and against the young.

Its a period in their lives when lifelong friends are made, marriages formed and the crisis might last several years- denying that social life and partying is important to the countrys sons and daughters is the unpleasant and self centred stance.
    We’re talking about a period measured in months, for feck’s sake. Not years, or decades, with all possibilities taken away and never returning.

The latter, incidentally, is literally what those killed have lost, instead.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Cyclefree said:

FF43 said:

It seems unclear to many people whether today's posture is a last throw of the ultra-populist dice, also at a dicey time for the PM and seeking to reverse Labour's momentum in the polls, and with serious negotiation to come later in the year, or whether this really does portend a new approach, inevitably culminating in no-deal.

Either way, as Cyclefree alludes to in the header, the government seems either unaware or cheerfully oblivious to the reputational damage it's strewing along the path to this conclusion.

I was trying to think of anything competent that this government has done. Where it has had a clear objective and has executed calmly and efficiently on that objective. I can only think of three things: Nightingale hospitals; furlough; Eat Out to Help Out. The last is a brilliant bit of marketing and not something you would expect governments to get involved in.

Meanwhile the list of projects that never had proper objectives and were mucked in some way is long and lengthening.
    The Apprenticeship grant is excellent, its very easy to get and encourages employers to employ young people and get them in training.

I have been very surprised at the excellence of the Treasuries I.T. abilities during Covid
    Possibly that is because the Treasury has a lot of senior civil servants who lived through and learnt from the 2008/9 financial crisis. So that experience of how to manage in a crisis seems to have stood them in good stead.
    The quality of officials in the Treasury is particularly good. A lot of talent ends up there.

Very little ends up in Transport and the Home Office. The dire salaries and chopping leadership in both departments plays a part but about one thing I can be sure: calling them useless lazy so-and-sos and beating them over the head with a stick isn't going to drive better performance.
    If I was going to work for the government it would be for the treasury. I wouldn't want to be in any other department.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    edited September 2020
    Stocky said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:
    So only two to one?

Given the way people act with such hysteria over No Deal you'd think it'd be a landslide the other way not just two to one.
    You were acting yesterday like Brits were behind Johnson and his Brexit plan
    They are. "There is only one poll that matters".

Johnson won the polls that mattered (the referendum and the election), now he needs to do whatever he thinks is best, subject to Parliamentary approval where appropriate - then be judged or damned in four years time on the results of that.
    Did he get a majority of the vote in 2019? No.

Therefore you have no ability to say he has majority support for his Brexit plan
    Majority of the vote doesn't matter.

He got million more votes than any alternative. Therefore Britain has backed him.
    Then why does YG poll say the majority don't support this proposal?
    Johnson got the plurality of the votes (ie more than anyone else), but only a minority of the total. Essentially Johnson engineered a takeover of the Conservative Party by UKIP/Brexit Party thus consolidating the Leave minority. While the neo-Remain majority is split across several parties. As long as that split stays, Johnson sits pretty.
    As I said above, I believe that splits as soon as Brexit becomes defined.
    I am less sure of that. As long as he can keep his Brexiteer minority together Johnson can safely ignore the majority. At the very least he and advisers believe this to be case.
    This is true. Johnson and his government are going to fuck this country. They’re going to fuck Remainers. They’re going to fuck all the red wallers whose xenophobia the two Leave campaigns so successfully played on.

They’re going to fuck everyone because they think that out of the ashes they can build the kind of society that gets the right wing tumescent. With the kind of policies that would never win an election.

They’re going to sorrowfully point at the remains of what was the economy, wiping away their crocodile tears, and cut, cut, cut. Cut taxes, cut the NHS, cut workers’ rights. All the things that these red wallers really, when it comes down to it, care more about then a bit of fucking sovereignty.

And they’ll be able to say ‘well, this is Brexit, this is what people voted for.’

People didn’t vote for No Deal, indeed we were told it would be the easiest deal in history, but we know Johnson, Cummings; Farage, etc, etc, don’t give a fuck about normal people. They convinced just enough low information voters that they care, but they don’t really. They know Brexit won’t answer the grievances of the red wallers, of working class people across the country, who lent this government their votes. But it will be too late. It will, at least, please the Tory shires and it will please the government’s hedge fund backers.

They’ll be happy to wreak havoc now, lose the next election and saddle Labour with the task of dealing with Scottish independence and Irish reunification. Then blame Labour for that collective shit show and eventually regain power and finally get what they’ve always wanted, a spiteful, jingoistic, xenophobic right-wing hell-hole. Small government, low taxes, laissez-faire, fuck anyone who needs income support, who needs the NHS, fuck them all. They don’t deserve it, they’re little people, losers, not like us.

Little England here we come.
    That`s a very colourful and entertaining post even though I don`t agree with all of it. Nice one.
    Second both emotions. Terrific post from @northern_monkey. But thankfully (for me) although it pushes my buttons I do not expect or predict the same future. I see soft Brexit and starting 3/11 a successful fightback and backlash against all this reactionary nativist populism.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Cases really picking up now. I wonder why this wasn't seen in the ONS surveys. Maybe it's a case of more intense but localised clusters, which I would guess are more difficult to pick up via random sampling.
    Its seems half (I am obviously being slightly hyperbolic) the premier league footballers have it on return from their holidays and only being picked up because they are all being tested e.g. two Man City players today.

Letting everybody go on a foreign summer holiday in August seems a particular idiotic move, along with the ever changing (it has just changed again) series of "air-bridge" countries.
    People do seem particularly able to pick it up on foreign trips even if the prevalence is similiar in their holiday country. I guess interactions are upped compared to staying at home.
    Maybe airports are festering plague pits. Maybe Johnny Foreigner has far greater use of aircon than if staying at home.

Or maybe too many people get pissed on holiday and enter a "I don't give a shit" phase of denial about the risks?

The risks from Covid are minuscule for most people though, so it's more people being emboldened to the reality rather than a "denial of the risks".

Yes, I know the risks to some groups are very high – but these people are a tiny minority of the population.
    So that's okay then? Let's all party and fuck those poor sods who die as a consequence.
    Building a nation of granny/grandad killers. I think a fair number won't care but surely that realisation is going to stop reckless behaviour in schools, universities, clubs, parties? Would I have cared when I was young? Actually, I'm not sure, especially if peer pressure was affecting group dynamics. Doing dangerous stupid stuff is par for the course, just that now that the consequences hit not you with a killer hangover and no clothes but someone you've probably never met struggling to breathe and with scarred lungs/heart.
    What we are asking the young to do is give up a large part of the prime of their lives. Imagine being 18 in March 2020. What have you been able to do?
    So you think the right to have a drink and a party with your friends is more important than the safety of your elderly relatives? What a nasty, selfish idea.
    It seems like the lives of others are less important than spending a few months unable to party, for some. Ninety percent of other activities are possible, with a little caution, but a few months not partying makes it a large part of the prime of their lives given up completely, apparently.

Sorry but this is completely unaware on a site where youngsters are hardly represented if at all. The generation in charge are handing the youth of today an environmental catastrophe, have failed to provide proper exams, expect students to pay tens of thousands of pounds for courses with limited contact teaching time and social activity, then wont provide enough jobs for those that need them. That's before we get onto housing and the demarcation of politics by age, consistently favouring the elderly and against the young.

Its a period in their lives when lifelong friends are made, marriages formed and the crisis might last several years- denying that social life and partying is important to the countrys sons and daughters is the unpleasant and self centred stance.
    Between 1949 and 1963 any man between 18 and 21 had to do 18 months to 2 years National Service. So far the youth of today have been asked to do 6 months of sitting on their backsides.
    1963? My Dad born 1940 never did it.
    Otherwise point taken.
    As the father of a 16 and 20 year old I haven't heard them or their friends moaning about any of the restrictions.
    I've heard plenty from my generation and above.
    And plenty using young people as a justification for their own objections.
  • Options
    Many of the young people today are out working, or they can't get a job. I can't see how you blame them for that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Not the most surprising news but again he supported TM deal

The opportunity was there
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    HYUFD said:
    Let's be clear, Hammond is scum and taking Saudi money. His opinion in everything is invalidated by that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Between 1949 and 1963 any man between 18 and 21 had to do 18 months to 2 years National Service. So far the youth of today have been asked to do 6 months of sitting on their backsides.
    Otherwise point taken.
    As the father of a 16 and 20 year old I haven't heard them or their friends moaning about any of the restrictions.
    Yes, I think it was for men born between 1927 and 1939.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    edited September 2020
    Interesting the COVID test website gives no option for “test advised by doctor” and when I say “no” to all the specific symptoms after saying I have symptoms, it just hangs. My friend is also having the same problem. What a load of sh*t.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

National Service or Netflix . . . Not exactly the same thing.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

We’re talking about a period measured in months, for feck’s sake. Not years, or decades, with all possibilities taken away and never returning.

The health secretary was saying he thought it a vaccine might be available next summer, implying it might be longer, do you know better? Even if you somehow do, its the govt and consensus opinion that matters to determine the countries behaviour, not yours. Until the vaccine is out its pretty clear social distancing and restrictions will continue. Its perfectly reasonable for people to assume this might last years, not just months.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Not surprising, Pizza Express pizzas are shite, their bases are so thin, it's like eating the toppings on fresh air.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

As many of us pointed out at the time:

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1303032062874705920?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:
    So only two to one?

Given the way people act with such hysteria over No Deal you'd think it'd be a landslide the other way not just two to one.

Johnson won the polls that mattered (the referendum and the election), now he needs to do whatever he thinks is best, subject to Parliamentary approval where appropriate - then be judged or damned in four years time on the results of that.

Therefore you have no ability to say he has majority support for his Brexit plan

He got million more votes than any alternative. Therefore Britain has backed him.
    Johnson got the plurality of the votes (ie more than anyone else), but only a minority of the total. Essentially Johnson engineered a takeover of the Conservative Party by UKIP/Brexit Party thus consolidating the Leave minority. While the neo-Remain majority is split across several parties. As long as that split stays, Johnson sits pretty.
    I am less sure of that. As long as he can keep his Brexiteer minority together Johnson can safely ignore the majority. At the very least he and advisers believe this to be case.
    This is true. Johnson and his government are going to fuck this country. They’re going to fuck Remainers. They’re going to fuck all the red wallers whose xenophobia the two Leave campaigns so successfully played on.

They’re going to fuck everyone because they think that out of the ashes they can build the kind of society that gets the right wing tumescent. With the kind of policies that would never win an election.

They’re going to sorrowfully point at the remains of what was the economy, wiping away their crocodile tears, and cut, cut, cut. Cut taxes, cut the NHS, cut workers’ rights. All the things that these red wallers really, when it comes down to it, care more about then a bit of fucking sovereignty.

And they’ll be able to say ‘well, this is Brexit, this is what people voted for.’

People didn’t vote for No Deal, indeed we were told it would be the easiest deal in history, but we know Johnson, Cummings; Farage, etc, etc, don’t give a fuck about normal people. They convinced just enough low information voters that they care, but they don’t really. They know Brexit won’t answer the grievances of the red wallers, of working class people across the country, who lent this government their votes. But it will be too late. It will, at least, please the Tory shires and it will please the government’s hedge fund backers.

They’ll be happy to wreak havoc now, lose the next election and saddle Labour with the task of dealing with Scottish independence and Irish reunification. Then blame Labour for that collective shit show and eventually regain power and finally get what they’ve always wanted, a spiteful, jingoistic, xenophobic right-wing hell-hole. Small government, low taxes, laissez-faire, fuck anyone who needs income support, who needs the NHS, fuck them all. They don’t deserve it, they’re little people, losers, not like us.

That`s a very colourful and entertaining post even though I don`t agree with all of it. Nice one.
    Second both emotions. Terrific post from @northern_monkey. But thankfully (for me) although it pushes my buttons I do not expect or predict the same future. I see soft Brexit and starting 3/11 a successful fightback and backlash against all this reactionary nativist populism.
    Thank you. I hope you’re right.
  • Options
    On topic, Boris Johnson believes in the divine right of Prime Ministers doesn't he?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Not surprising, Pizza Express pizzas are shite, their bases are so thin, it's like eating the toppings on fresh air.
    That’s the sign of a proper pizza!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183

In addition to my infected wound, my GP thinks its best I have another COVID test as I have a mild fever and a sore throat and generally feel sh*t. Fingers crossed its just “some other” virus.

Oh. Fingers crossed that it is nothing serious and you get OK very soon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Nah, a proper pizza is one with a decent base.

Having a really thin base is nearly as much of a heresy as putting pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In addition to my infected wound, my GP thinks its best I have another COVID test as I have a mild fever and a sore throat and generally feel sh*t. Fingers crossed its just “some other” virus.

Oh. Fingers crossed that it is nothing serious and you get OK very soon.
    Ditto.
  • Options

The government should have been able to muster enough support for its own deal. The pattern of failure to first agree on and then implement the Tories' own policies on Brexit began in 2016.
    But that is not the point.

There must be many labour mps and former labour mps who really do regret not passing TM's deal and Gloria is obviously one of them, and she knows the red wall seats
    That's fine, but the primary responsibility is not with them.
    It depends upon what you wanted.

For people who wanted a softer Brexit the primary responsibility for failing to get one belongs to the Remainers who rejected May's deal.

For people who wanted a harder Brexit the primary credit for succeeding in getting one belongs to the Leavers who rejected May's deal.
  • Options
    Grapes on pizza
  • Options

On topic, Boris Johnson believes in the divine right of Prime Ministers doesn't he?

I suspect that Boris Johnson believes that he deserves money, power and prestige.

Is that the same thing?
  • Options

The government should have been able to muster enough support for its own deal. The pattern of failure to first agree on and then implement the Tories' own policies on Brexit began in 2016.

There must be many labour mps and former labour mps who really do regret not passing TM's deal and Gloria is obviously one of them, and she knows the red wall seats

For people who wanted a softer Brexit the primary responsibility for failing to get one belongs to the Remainers who rejected May's deal.

For people who wanted a harder Brexit the primary credit for succeeding in getting one belongs to the Leavers who rejected May's deal.
    May's deal was not soft Brexit. The primary responsibility for not getting soft Brexit also lies with the ERG, as they precluded it because of FOM.
  • Options
    I see Biden's approach on Law'n'Order is really costing him in the key states.

https://twitter.com/OpinionToday/status/1303035025043017728
  • Options

Interesting the COVID test website gives no option for “test advised by doctor” and when I say “no” to all the specific symptoms after saying I have symptoms, it just hangs. My friend is also having the same problem. What a load of sh*t.

Sorry to hear you need a test. Best of luck with Dido's mess.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

The health secretary was saying he thought it a vaccine might be available next summer, implying it might be longer, do you know better? Even if you somehow do, its the govt and consensus opinion that matters to determine the countries behaviour, not yours. Until the vaccine is out its pretty clear social distancing and restrictions will continue. Its perfectly reasonable for people to assume this might last years, not just months.
    There are 138 separate vaccines in various stages, the furthest along are already in Stage III, and we were told today that production of the first 30 million doses had already begun and there was still a possibility of getting it before Christmas, although more likely in the opening months of the New Year.

If this doesn't come off, then we can revisit it, but the Health Secretary actually said he thought it likely it would be here at the start of the New Year, and possibly sooner.

And seriously - these restrictions aren't exactly devastating. In my early twenties, I spent a third of a year stuck in a tiny complex made from ISO containers on West Falkland. My great-uncle spent years in the jungles somewhere near Burma when he was in his early twenties. Oh no, we have to stay a couple of metres away from people and wear masks inside for several months - it's not so intolerable we have to kill off the crinklies, is it?
  • Options
    Standard Trump. Attack your opponent with your own faults and weaknesses as a deflection. He'll be saying Biden has tax issues next.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Having a really thin base is nearly as much of a heresy as putting pineapple on pizza.
    I agree on the pineapple but I like a thin base.
  • Options

May's deal was not soft Brexit. The primary responsibility for not getting soft Brexit also lies with the ERG, as they precluded it because of FOM.
    But the backstop steered to close alignment no?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,007
    edited September 2020
    Not to mention a big, smelly fart pants.

Trump's invective has gone off a bit lately.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I suspect that Boris Johnson believes that he deserves money, power and prestige.

Is that the same thing?
    It’s his birthright
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    More pizza controversy.

The thinner the better in my book. That way I can manage more slices.

Deep pan is the pizza of Satan.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Otherwise point taken.
    Yes, I think it was for men born between 1927 and 1939.
    My dad got a coal mining exemption from NS. And HIS dad avoided WW1 with flat feet. Couldn't march. Would have gone to the Somme. All his mates died there.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

There are 138 separate vaccines in various stages, the furthest along are already in Stage III, and we were told today that production of the first 30 million doses had already begun and there was still a possibility of getting it before Christmas, although more likely in the opening months of the New Year.

If this doesn't come off, then we can revisit it, but the Health Secretary actually said he thought it likely it would be here at the start of the New Year, and possibly sooner.

And seriously - these restrictions aren't exactly devastating. In my early twenties, I spent a third of a year stuck in a tiny complex made from ISO containers on West Falkland. My great-uncle spent years in the jungles somewhere near Burma when he was in his early twenties. Oh no, we have to stay a couple of metres away from people and wear masks inside for several months - it's not so intolerable we have to kill off the crinklies, is it?
    “In fact they are starting to manufacture those doses already ... ahead of approval so that should approval come through and it’s still not certain but it’s looking up ... then we are ready to roll out.

“The best case scenario is that that happens this year ... more likely is the early part of next year ... in the first few months of next year is the most likely.

So ready to roll out is (according to Hancock) first few months of next year (Jan-Apr).

3-4 months to get people enough people vaccinated to stop social distancing (Apr-Aug).

Thats if that particular one is approved. Otherwise most likely slips further back, especially on procurement where the UK wont be front of the queue. And its not as if the government ever actually deliver what they say they hope for on time.

It remains perfectly reasonable for people to plan that social distancing will last in years not months.
  • Options

Grapes on pizza

Grapes go with cheese. I don't see a problem.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    More pizza controversy.

The thinner the better in my book. That way I can manage more slices.

Chicago Deep Dish style is another level of disgusting.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,875

Have you seen Jon Stewart on the difference between New York and Chicago...
  • Options

Standard Trump. Attack your opponent with your own faults and weaknesses as a deflection. He'll be saying Biden has tax issues next.
    Disappointing put down from the school bully, he needs to come up with a catchy insult for Biden.
  • Options

Is that the same thing?
    Not quite, but given the trouble he gaily caused his predecessor Prime Ministers, I don't think Boris can be said to believe in the Divine Right of Prime Ministers.

The Divine Right of Boris, on the other hand...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But the backstop steered to close alignment no?
    Indeed it did. Hence why so many Leavers opposed it ... because it was too soft.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

But both are inferior to the BBC.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:
    Let's be clear, Hammond is scum and taking Saudi money. His opinion in everything is invalidated by that.
    That's strong Max.
  • Options

May's deal was far too soft for the Brexiteers who opposed it.

The ERG absolutely deserve credit for us not being lumped with a soft Brexit, but the ERG didn't want a soft Brexit.

The Remainers played into the ERGs hands. They walked into the lobbies with the ERG and thanks to them the ERG got what they wanted. Well done 👍
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Have you seen Jon Stewart on the difference between New York and Chicago...
    You'll have to enlighten me...
  • Options

The ERG absolutely deserve credit for us not being lumped with a soft Brexit, but the ERG didn't want a soft Brexit.

The Remainers played into the ERGs hands. They walked into the lobbies with the ERG and thanks to them the ERG got what they wanted. Well done 👍
    That’s fine. They own it completely now, warts and all.
  • Options

That’s fine. They own it completely now, warts and all.
    Good. 👍
  • Options

You'll have to enlighten me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCgYMFtxUUw
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Yeah the young absolutely love to Beeb and Chill don't they?

You're jumping the shark now.
  • Options

Not to mention a big, smelly fart pants.

Trump's invective has gone off a bit lately.
    There’s a stench of desperation. He knows it's over.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited September 2020
    Why this obsession with pizza? It is just Welsh Rarebit for Southern Europeans. They didn't have any apples to hand so thought tomatoes looked like a good idea instead. They didn't even have proper cows for the cheese.

Anything thicker than a slice of toast is even more off beam.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

You need to go to Keste in New York.
  • Options
    Clearly the ERG bear much of the blame (if blame is the right word) for May's deal failing, but Corbyn, and dare I say Starmer, must also take some of the responsibility.

On that subject, when skimming through one of last week's threads I thoroughly enjoyed Southam Observer's magnificent attempt to convince that Starmer had played a blinder over Brexit in restricting the size of the Tory majority.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,319
    UK cases - scaled 100k population

• Options
    UK Cases - absolute

• Options
    UK hospital numbers

• Options
    UK case summary -

• Options
    UK deaths by day of death - 28 day cut off

• Options

Why this obsession with pizza? It is just Welsh Rarebit for Southern Europeans. They didn't have any apples to hand so thought tomatoes looked like a good idea instead. They didn't even have proper cows for the cheese.

Anything thicker than a slice of toast is even more off beam.

It’s the same obsession that makes people refight the brexit battle. It’s irrelevant and boring, what’s gone is gone what happens next could be more important, but then it might not. I just wish I didn’t have to watch Johnson waving his arms around talking crap all the time, frequently in a hard hat and high viz jacket.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    Belarus

A couple of weeks back I posted that it looked as if the opposition was going to have turn to violence & shed blood and/or have general strike to get rid of President Big Hat.

The current window is now closing:
    Russian personnel, incognito, have already joined the Local security forces.
    National Guard units of the Russian Interior Ministry are prepping
    Belarus has started to mobilise units of the military, properly mobilise, pulling in reservists to up-rate the units into the required operational quotas. Many of those conscripts are not keen, but if the battalion level types keep in with the regime, then its trouble.

The opposition will either have to fight back or they are going to get battered out of it.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed, they gambled on double or quits.

They got double.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    She shouldn't feel too worried ; the primary responsibility is not hers.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Belarus

A couple of weeks back I posted that it looked as if the opposition was going to have turn to violence & shed blood and/or have general strike to get rid of President Big Hat.

The current window is now closing:
    Russian personnel, incognito, have already joined the Local security forces.
    National Guard units of the Russian Interior Ministry are prepping
    Belarus has started to mobilise units of the military, properly mobilise, pulling in reservists to up-rate the units into the required operational quotas. Many of those conscripts are not keen, but if the battalion level types keep in with the regime, then its trouble.

The opposition will either have to fight back or they are going to get battered out of it.

Russia infiltrating and pretending they're "locals" again?

Where have I heard that before.
  • Options
    Trump seems to have drifted a fair bit on Betfair today.

Not sure why.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

They got double.
    You guys are obsessed. You’re proving @stodge ’s point in his brilliant post. You dont care about the big questions about Brexit, you just want to continue to get one over on the”remoaners”.
  • Options

You guys are obsessed. You’re proving @stodge ’s point in his brilliant post. You dont care about the big questions about Brexit, you just want to continue to get one over on the”remoaners”.

Brexiteers still trying to convince themselves it isn't a giant shitshow, and spread around some of the blame.

The guys that wanted it, advocated it, voted for it. You own it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910

Not sure why.

I expect backers were looking for a tightening based on his strong law and order stance. Doesn't seem to have happened, even in Wisconsin (Oregon is safe Dem) so they've backed off a bit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Of course the archetype was Pizzeria Colombo on Pudding Chare, now Mario's I believe (after a Google). Not so far from your eponymous street so it's possible we have both been there.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

That has a very definite "old farts" vibe to it, doesn't it?

But, the way they were going about that with the previous DG was that they were alienating and infuriating the old farts without winning over *any* of 'da yoof' with their cringeworthy and patronising pandering, and offensive wokeness.

My suggestion: concentrate on a variety of very good programmes no-one else could make, and don't shove politics down people's necks.
  • Options

I've just been on this link https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test follow your nose, you just have to click on "a new high temperature" and you're in. I got right up to the point where you book the test.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2020
    The fairly transparent attempt to shift the blame for Brexit to Labour MP's is one of PB's eccentricities - just an inevitable quirk of the preponderance of right-leaning views on here, really.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

That has a very definite "old farts" vibe to it, doesn't it?

But, the way they were going about that with the previous DG was that they were alienating and infuriating the old farts without winning over *any* of 'da yoof' with their cringeworthy and patronising pandering, and offensive wokeness.

My suggestion: concentrate on a variety of very good programmes no-one else could make, and don't shove politics down people's necks.
    Genuine question: does your idea of “having politics shoved down people’s necks” include having a trans gender character?
  • Options

I've just been on this link https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test follow your nose, you just have to click on "a new high temperature" and you're in. I got right up to the point where you book the test.
    The problem is that I don’t have a high temperature. It’s normal - I just feel shivery. I could lie, but wouldn’t that screw up the data?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,126
    Mrs May's deal was a poor deal. Just better than Johnson's,

I would have held out too, but then I had no idea Johnson would win a landslide and had some kind of Uber-Brexit death wish.

One lives and learns.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not sure why.

I expect backers were looking for a tightening based on his strong law and order stance. Doesn't seem to have happened, even in Wisconsin (Oregon is safe Dem) so they've backed off a bit.
    Yes, that's surprising - I don't pretend to understand it.

Biden has reassured on it over recent weeks, in comparison to Trump stoking the flames, so perhaps that's helped a bit.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    2nd wave probable, I think. Why would there not be one?
  • Options

The problem is that I don’t have a high temperature. It’s normal - I just feel shivery. I could lie, but wouldn’t that screw up the data?
    If you feel shivery, you have a temperature. Alternatively, have one as a key worker. No-one checks (and anyone who goes into the office can). There's enough tests to go around.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

They got double.
    You showed us! Ha!
  • Options

The very transparent attempt to shift the blame for Brexit to Labour MP's is one of PB's eccentricities - just an inevitable quirk of the preponderance of right-leaning views on here really.

You might note that Gloria De Peiro was a red wall labour mp and it is she calling herself an idiot for not passing TM's deal when she and her colleagues had the chance

This is not an eccentricity it is actually a widely recognised opportunity lost to be in a much better Brexit position than now
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    There are plenty on here who will tell you why there won’t be, they are busy fighting the referendum again at the moment.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Don't know about the young but I think the Beeb is one of the few things we have that genuinely IS world beating.

Just ask yourself which is better. Our track & trace app or the BBC?

That was rhetorical.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Not much on the US polls this evening. The big news obviously is Rasmussen showing Biden ahead 51-43 in Wisconsin. That's a solid 4% swing to the Democrats and would confirm the CBS /YouGov poll suggesting Biden could now be 10 points ahead.

It's a significant lead as the real campaign begins but the Democrats will be in no way complacent (I wouldn't if I were them).

Another observation is American conservatives seem very well entrenched on the Internet - the Federalist and American Greatness among others have writers who are totally subservient to Trump and will slam Biden for anything and everything.

The question will be IF Trump goes down to defeat in two months what lessons (if any) they will draw from the vote. I imagine some will claim "the Left" has somehow subverted American democracy. Others may take a more sanguine approach.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:
    So only two to one?

LOL.

I'm not normally one for the whole "making them cry" kind of politics but then I read something so over the top, so silly, so overly faux upset and it makes me smile.

Reading something as dramatically OTT as this I must confess brings me a little schadenfreude.
    Really, really glad you enjoyed it. Magnanimity in victory, and all that.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,708

HYUFD said:

I tend to blame hard Brexiteers for Hard Brexit. I'm just a simple guy.

Never understood those that say Hard Brexit is the fault of Remainers. But I now support those hard Brexiteers who also rejected May's Deal. I'm sure it makes sense to you....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very worrying. My eldest son is back at Uni on Sunday and I am working in South Wales hotspot, Newport, tomorrow..

And yet Shapps was encouraging us all to fly to the Canary Islands earlier today.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited September 2020
    stodge said:

Not much on the US polls this evening. The big news obviously is Rasmussen showing Biden ahead 51-43 in Wisconsin. That's a solid 4% swing to the Democrats and would confirm the CBS /YouGov poll suggesting Biden could now be 10 points ahead.

It's a significant lead as the real campaign begins but the Democrats will be in no way complacent (I wouldn't if I were them).

Another observation is American conservatives seem very well entrenched on the Internet - the Federalist and American Greatness among others have writers who are totally subservient to Trump and will slam Biden for anything and everything.

The question will be IF Trump goes down to defeat in two months what lessons (if any) they will draw from the vote. I imagine some will claim "the Left" has somehow subverted American democracy. Others may take a more sanguine approach.

Remember though Hillary had a 7% average poll lead in Wisconsin on eve of poll in 2016 yet Trump won it, the state polls there were hopeless, the worst in the US
  • Options

The very transparent attempt to shift the blame for Brexit to Labour MP's is one of PB's eccentricities - just an inevitable quirk of the preponderance of right-leaning views on here really.

You might note that Gloria De Peiro was a red wall labour mp and it is she calling herself an idiot for not passing TM's deal when she and her colleagues had the chance

This is not an eccentricity it is actually a widely recognised opportunity lost to be in a much better Brexit position than now
    Apparently, pointing this out makes you an obsessive hard Brexiteer loon.

Or something..
    Or something it is, because BigG. Is not an obsessive hard Brexiteer.
This discussion has been closed.