Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fisking the PM – examining the background to his controversial

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    OK so. I selected “high temperature” and got through to the booking screen.

There’s no home test kits available, and no drive-through or walk-through appointments available in the next 2 weeks within 100 miles.

I bet @Philip_Thompson still would describe this as “fantastic” or “world-beating” or something.

I don’t know what to do.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Cases really picking up now. I wonder why this wasn't seen in the ONS surveys. Maybe it's a case of more intense but localised clusters, which I would guess are more difficult to pick up via random sampling.
    How many of those cases are sick?
    Its seems half (I am obviously being slightly hyperbolic) the premier league footballers have it on return from their holidays and only being picked up because they are all being tested e.g. two Man City players today.

Letting everybody go on a foreign summer holiday in August seems a particular idiotic move, along with the ever changing (it has just changed again) series of "air-bridge" countries.
    People do seem particularly able to pick it up on foreign trips even if the prevalence is similiar in their holiday country. I guess interactions are upped compared to staying at home.
    Maybe airports are festering plague pits. Maybe Johnny Foreigner has far greater use of aircon than if staying at home.

Or maybe too many people get pissed on holiday and enter a "I don't give a shit" phase of denial about the risks?

Covid-19 just LOVES people consuming alcohol.
    The risks from Covid are minuscule for most people though, so it's more people being emboldened to the reality rather than a "denial of the risks".

Yes, I know the risks to some groups are very high – but these people are a tiny minority of the population.
    So that's okay then? Let's all party and fuck those poor sods who die as a consequence.
    Building a nation of granny/grandad killers. I think a fair number won't care but surely that realisation is going to stop reckless behaviour in schools, universities, clubs, parties? Would I have cared when I was young? Actually, I'm not sure, especially if peer pressure was affecting group dynamics. Doing dangerous stupid stuff is par for the course, just that now that the consequences hit not you with a killer hangover and no clothes but someone you've probably never met struggling to breathe and with scarred lungs/heart.
    Or your own parents and grandparents.
    What we are asking the young to do is give up a large part of the prime of their lives. Imagine being 18 in March 2020. What have you been able to do?
    So you think the right to have a drink and a party with your friends is more important than the safety of your elderly relatives? What a nasty, selfish idea.
    It seems like the lives of others are less important than spending a few months unable to party, for some. Ninety percent of other activities are possible, with a little caution, but a few months not partying makes it a large part of the prime of their lives given up completely, apparently.

It does look rather an unpleasant and self-centred stance.
    Sorry but this is completely unaware on a site where youngsters are hardly represented if at all. The generation in charge are handing the youth of today an environmental catastrophe, have failed to provide proper exams, expect students to pay tens of thousands of pounds for courses with limited contact teaching time and social activity, then wont provide enough jobs for those that need them. That's before we get onto housing and the demarcation of politics by age, consistently favouring the elderly and against the young.

Its a period in their lives when lifelong friends are made, marriages formed and the crisis might last several years- denying that social life and partying is important to the countrys sons and daughters is the unpleasant and self centred stance.
    Between 1949 and 1963 any man between 18 and 21 had to do 18 months to 2 years National Service. So far the youth of today have been asked to do 6 months of sitting on their backsides.
    National Service or Netflix . . . Not exactly the same thing.
    But both are inferior to the BBC.
    Yeah the young absolutely love to Beeb and Chill don't they?

You're jumping the shark now.
    Don't know about the young but I think the Beeb is one of the few things we have that genuinely IS world beating.

Just ask yourself which is better. Our track & trace app or the BBC?

That was rhetorical.
    Until it was taken over by the Conservative party last week
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    HYUFD said:
    These are interesting surveys for all they are in states which won't be changing hands.

Trump won Idaho by 32 points last time so a reduction to 26 is a 3% swing to Biden which fits nicely into the overall pattern. Clinton won California by 30 points so Trump is doing really well to reduce it to a 17-point deficit which would be a 6.5% swing TO Trump.

There's a problem - Trump can't afford to pile up votes in California and lose them in Wisconsin and Michigan. On these numbers Trump has an extra million votes in California but if he's behind he must be losing votes elsewhere (not in Idaho it would seem).

It's quite possible Trump is piling up votes where he doesn't need them and not getting them where he does.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited September 2020
    Remainers gambled it all on staying in the EU with a second referendum and lost. Nothing wrong with that, they thought they were in with a shot (although it never looked likely to me).

Trump looks like he's had it to me, unless something crazy happens in the debates.

These points have probably already been made, but I can't scroll beyond a few messages on here now.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Cases really picking up now. I wonder why this wasn't seen in the ONS surveys. Maybe it's a case of more intense but localised clusters, which I would guess are more difficult to pick up via random sampling.
    Its seems half (I am obviously being slightly hyperbolic) the premier league footballers have it on return from their holidays and only being picked up because they are all being tested e.g. two Man City players today.

Letting everybody go on a foreign summer holiday in August seems a particular idiotic move, along with the ever changing (it has just changed again) series of "air-bridge" countries.
    People do seem particularly able to pick it up on foreign trips even if the prevalence is similiar in their holiday country. I guess interactions are upped compared to staying at home.
    Maybe airports are festering plague pits. Maybe Johnny Foreigner has far greater use of aircon than if staying at home.

Or maybe too many people get pissed on holiday and enter a "I don't give a shit" phase of denial about the risks?

The risks from Covid are minuscule for most people though, so it's more people being emboldened to the reality rather than a "denial of the risks".

Yes, I know the risks to some groups are very high – but these people are a tiny minority of the population.
    So that's okay then? Let's all party and fuck those poor sods who die as a consequence.
    Building a nation of granny/grandad killers. I think a fair number won't care but surely that realisation is going to stop reckless behaviour in schools, universities, clubs, parties? Would I have cared when I was young? Actually, I'm not sure, especially if peer pressure was affecting group dynamics. Doing dangerous stupid stuff is par for the course, just that now that the consequences hit not you with a killer hangover and no clothes but someone you've probably never met struggling to breathe and with scarred lungs/heart.
    What we are asking the young to do is give up a large part of the prime of their lives. Imagine being 18 in March 2020. What have you been able to do?
    So you think the right to have a drink and a party with your friends is more important than the safety of your elderly relatives? What a nasty, selfish idea.
    It seems like the lives of others are less important than spending a few months unable to party, for some. Ninety percent of other activities are possible, with a little caution, but a few months not partying makes it a large part of the prime of their lives given up completely, apparently.

Sorry but this is completely unaware on a site where youngsters are hardly represented if at all. The generation in charge are handing the youth of today an environmental catastrophe, have failed to provide proper exams, expect students to pay tens of thousands of pounds for courses with limited contact teaching time and social activity, then wont provide enough jobs for those that need them. That's before we get onto housing and the demarcation of politics by age, consistently favouring the elderly and against the young.

Its a period in their lives when lifelong friends are made, marriages formed and the crisis might last several years- denying that social life and partying is important to the countrys sons and daughters is the unpleasant and self centred stance.
    Between 1949 and 1963 any man between 18 and 21 had to do 18 months to 2 years National Service. So far the youth of today have been asked to do 6 months of sitting on their backsides.
    National Service or Netflix . . . Not exactly the same thing.
    But both are inferior to the BBC.
    Yeah the young absolutely love to Beeb and Chill don't they?

You're jumping the shark now.
    Don't know about the young but I think the Beeb is one of the few things we have that genuinely IS world beating.

Just ask yourself which is better. Our track & trace app or the BBC?

That was rhetorical.
    Until it was taken over by the Conservative party last week
    It was? About bloody time!
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    stodge said:

Not much on the US polls this evening. The big news obviously is Rasmussen showing Biden ahead 51-43 in Wisconsin. That's a solid 4% swing to the Democrats and would confirm the CBS /YouGov poll suggesting Biden could now be 10 points ahead.

It's a significant lead as the real campaign begins but the Democrats will be in no way complacent (I wouldn't if I were them).

Another observation is American conservatives seem very well entrenched on the Internet - the Federalist and American Greatness among others have writers who are totally subservient to Trump and will slam Biden for anything and everything.

The question will be IF Trump goes down to defeat in two months what lessons (if any) they will draw from the vote. I imagine some will claim "the Left" has somehow subverted American democracy. Others may take a more sanguine approach.

The polls HYFUD posted are interesting - not much change in Idaho but (inexplicably?) there has been a swing in the California poll from 2016 of 6.5% to Trump. Won't mean much for the Presidential election but it may be important for the Congressional races there. It could also be a sign of dissatisfaction with how the CV crisis is being handled.

Agree that the Rasmussen poll isn't great for Trump but the question will be is it a trend or not.

There is still some nervousness amongst the Democrats on the law and order issue - note here: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/07/biden-suburbs-trump-protests-409326

I know I will be accused of cherry picking stories but I noticed today a few people ramping up taking spread bets on the electoral college lead Biden will have over Trump and the potential profits. I think that's a dangerous game at this stage over the campaign especially given it is harder to tell shifts on the ground given the crisis
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Not the most surprising news but again he supported TM deal

The opportunity was there
    As many of us pointed out at the time:

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1303032062874705920?s=20
    Indeed, they gambled on double or quits.

They got double.
    You guys are obsessed. You’re proving @stodge ’s point in his brilliant post. You dont care about the big questions about Brexit, you just want to continue to get one over on the”remoaners”.
    No, I'm pointing out that many Labour MPs in Leave constituencies gambled that they could obstruct and, ultimately, halt Brexit in the hung parliament of 2017-19 by repeatedly voting down May's Deal in an unholy alliance with the hard Brexiteers.

Many of us pointed out this was foolhardy at the time, and wouldn't end well for them. And so it came to pass.

I have none of the characteristics you describe. I defended May's Deal to the hilt, said it should be voted for on every occasion. I have made clear the need for a compromise time and time again. I have posted my ideas on the big questions on here many times, and my suggestions for a constructive way forward. Even my profile picture illustrates my belief that we need a new positive UK-EU relationship: I do not favour no deal.

Your behaviour (in its inverse) more accurately describes yourself, which you project onto others who disagree with you because you can't understand why they too wouldn't act the same as you.
    What behaviour? I am fine with Brexit, it’s something I have no control over so I’m happy to let it play out and criticise where appropriate and highlight hypocrisy where I see it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Remember though Hillary had a 7% average poll lead in Wisconsin on eve of poll in 2016 yet Trump won it, the state polls there were hopeless, the worst in the US

This is a Rasmussen poll - I thought you rated them.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    HYUFD said:
    Trump's share is up in both of those, although the Democrat share is up more in Idaho.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Remember though Hillary had a 7% average poll lead in Wisconsin on eve of poll in 2016 yet Trump won it, the state polls there were hopeless, the worst in the US

This is a Rasmussen poll - I thought you rated them.

Only when they give answers he likes
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

I tend to blame hard Brexiteers for Hard Brexit. I'm just a simple guy.

Never understood those that say Hard Brexit is the fault of Remainers. But I now support those hard Brexiteers who also rejected May's Deal. I'm sure it makes sense to you....
    I am not sure why the hard Brexiteers are blaming us former Remainers for hard Brexit. It's as if they think it is going to be a disaster and they are getting their excuses in early.
  • Options

There’s no home test kits available, and no drive-through or walk-through appointments available in the next 2 weeks within 100 miles.

I bet @Philip_Thompson still would describe this as “fantastic” or “world-beating” or something.

I don’t know what to do.

It also says I shouldn’t even go to a drive-through or walk-through appointment if I feel “unwell” so I’m not sure what they expect even if there was appointments!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020
    That's a symptom of the problems with the planning system.
  • Options

You guys are obsessed. You’re proving @stodge ’s point in his brilliant post. You dont care about the big questions about Brexit, you just want to continue to get one over on the”remoaners”.

Now, you're worrying me, my friend.

It sounds like you're delirious on top of everything else - hope you feel better soon.

• Options

The very transparent attempt to shift the blame for Brexit to Labour MP's is one of PB's eccentricities - just an inevitable quirk of the preponderance of right-leaning views on here really.

You might note that Gloria De Peiro was a red wall labour mp and it is she calling herself an idiot for not passing TM's deal when she and her colleagues had the chance

This is not an eccentricity it is actually a widely recognised opportunity lost to be in a much better Brexit position than now
    Apparently, pointing this out makes you an obsessive hard Brexiteer loon.

Or something..
    Or something it is, because BigG. Is not an obsessive hard Brexiteer.
    I have never been a hard brexiteer, just someone who wants a sensible deal but that we must leave the EU following the democratic vote and of course I did vote to remain

I have no idea where this ends but the angst on here over the last 24 hours just confirms how polarised views are as we head into the last six weeks before the October EU council meeting
  • Options
    Every time I see these polls I think the numbers in brackets are the change from last time.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

Every time I see these polls I think the numbers in brackets are the change from last time.

Me too.
  • Options

I don’t know what to do.

It also says I shouldn’t even go to a drive-through or walk-through appointment if I feel “unwell” so I’m not sure what they expect even if there was appointments!
    Ring 111?
  • Options

Can somebody explain why in the USA it's different
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    These are interesting surveys for all they are in states which won't be changing hands.

Trump won Idaho by 32 points last time so a reduction to 26 is a 3% swing to Biden which fits nicely into the overall pattern. Clinton won California by 30 points so Trump is doing really well to reduce it to a 17-point deficit which would be a 6.5% swing TO Trump.

There's a problem - Trump can't afford to pile up votes in California and lose them in Wisconsin and Michigan. On these numbers Trump has an extra million votes in California but if he's behind he must be losing votes elsewhere (not in Idaho it would seem).

It's quite possible Trump is piling up votes where he doesn't need them and not getting them where he does.
    That's one possibility but how to explain Biden's bigger lead nationally than Clinton when you have this performance in California? It takes a good amount of votes elsewhere to compensate.

Could be some interesting implications for the House betting though
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Never understood those that say Hard Brexit is the fault of Remainers. But I now support those hard Brexiteers who also rejected May's Deal. I'm sure it makes sense to you....
    If someone is playing poker, gambles foolishly and loses everything then is the winner of the pot to blame for winning?

The ERG didn't have the best hand in Parliament, the numbers were frankly not there for them to get such a hard Brexit. But they gambled and won big. The Remainers gambled and lost everything.

Remainers trying to blame Leavers for themselves losing is . . . Odd.
  • Options

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

If someone is playing poker, gambles foolishly and loses everything then is the winner of the pot to blame for winning?

The ERG didn't have the best hand in Parliament, the numbers were frankly not there for them to get such a hard Brexit. But they gambled and won big. The Remainers gambled and lost everything.

Your logic is ridiculous. Any negative consequences as a result of the “Leavers” getting exactly want, despite telling us there would be none, are of course the fault of the “Leavers”. “Remain” lost remember, and afterwards we were not asked our opinion. It is nothing to do with “us”.
  • Options
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/how-easy-book-coronavirus-test-18892002

No home tests available anywhere.

At around 7pm on Monday, the M.E.N tried to book a test using a number of postcodes from the remaining six boroughs in Greater Manchester.

For a variety of different postcodes in Oldham, Rochdale, Trafford, Tameside, Salford and Stockport the website would not load when trying to book a test.

No matter which options we selected, it was not possible to book a test using any postcode in these boroughs.
  • Options

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/how-easy-book-coronavirus-test-18892002

No home tests available anywhere.

At around 7pm on Monday, the M.E.N tried to book a test using a number of postcodes from the remaining six boroughs in Greater Manchester.

For a variety of different postcodes in Oldham, Rochdale, Trafford, Tameside, Salford and Stockport the website would not load when trying to book a test.

No matter which options we selected, it was not possible to book a test using any postcode in these boroughs.

Same experience for me in Newcastle.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020

I don’t know what to do.

No I would not.

I think the system as a whole has been recently but if that's what it's saying then that is very worrying.

The last thing we need is for the system to collapse, if it is struggling now then it should be top priority and very important this is fixed urgently.

Maybe try tomorrow morning and see what it says? Hopefully it's fixed by then.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I don’t know what to do.

No I would not.

I think the system as a whole has been recently but if that's what it's saying then that is very worrying.

The last thing we need is for the system to collapse, if it is struggling now then it should be top priority and very important this is fixed urgently.
    I can imagine it might be prioritising those who are older, and who have more symptoms. However I’ve been advised by a medical professional to take a test and there’s no way to input that into the system.

Such prioritisation, if that is indeed occurring, seems silly considering younger people are perhaps more likely to have it at the moment?

I guess I will have to ring 111 and see what they say.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

It's definitely annoying, but US politics does everything the wrong way round - they're still trying to work out which sides of the political spectrum blue and red are supposed to be associated with, for heaven's sake. They're going to be really embarrassed when someone eventually points it out to them...
  • Options

The very transparent attempt to shift the blame for Brexit to Labour MP's is one of PB's eccentricities - just an inevitable quirk of the preponderance of right-leaning views on here really.

You might note that Gloria De Peiro was a red wall labour mp and it is she calling herself an idiot for not passing TM's deal when she and her colleagues had the chance

This is not an eccentricity it is actually a widely recognised opportunity lost to be in a much better Brexit position than now

Or something..
    I have never been a hard brexiteer, just someone who wants a sensible deal but that we must leave the EU following the democratic vote and of course I did vote to remain

I have no idea where this ends but the angst on here over the last 24 hours just confirms how polarised views are as we head into the last six weeks before the October EU council meeting
    It looks bad and I apportion blame to Corbyn for facilitating Johnson. Maybe Johnson's posturing, particularly over NI is genius and the EU will fold. If I were them I would do the opposite. Maybe the EU are more reasonable than I am.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612

In addition to my infected wound, my GP thinks its best I have another COVID test as I have a mild fever and a sore throat and generally feel sh*t. Fingers crossed its just “some other” virus.

Wound infection may cause malaise and mild fever, usually a spiking one, and any anaesthetic a sore throat but a re test is wise.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:
    It's also bad for Trump, he needs for Biden to run up big wins in California and NY. If Trump isn't doing as badly in California as expected it means his position in the marginal states is worse.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

In addition to my infected wound, my GP thinks its best I have another COVID test as I have a mild fever and a sore throat and generally feel sh*t. Fingers crossed its just “some other” virus.

Wound infection may cause malaise and mild fever, usually a spiking one, and any anaesthetic a sore throat but a re test is wise.
    I have Ciprofloxacin due to it being some “weird” infection apparently.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Trump's share is up in both of those, although the Democrat share is up more in Idaho.

Before all the Trump fans on here get excited, I've had a quick look at the California poll crosstabs.

http://womensliberationfront.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Statewide_California_8.25.20-Tables_Only-Tables_Only.pdf

Sample of 600 Registered CA voters of whom 591 are "Extremely Likely" to vote.

The Party split is 49% Democrat, 30% Republican and 18.5% Independent.

I'd be interested in @rcs1000's view of that split.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    If true incredible news for Biden.

Trump bring up by 7 in California from 2016 takes a huge bite out of his vote efficiency.
  • Options

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Your logic is ridiculous. Any negative consequences as a result of the “Leavers” getting exactly want, despite telling us there would be none, are of course the fault of the “Leavers”. “Remain” lost remember, and afterwards we were not asked our opinion. It is nothing to do with “us”.
    But what you think of as a "negative", the Leavers think of as a positive.

As for afterwards not being asked your opinion that's not true. For one thing there have been not one but TWO General Elections since the referendum and before Brexit. For another from 2017-2019 there was a Hung Parliament with a former Remainer as PM and Remainers majority in Parliament. May's deal could have been accepted which was a much softer deal than what eventually went through, or any other Indicative Vote.

Remainers could have avoided those "negatives" by not being greedy but they got greedy and gave Leavers everything instead.

Thanks for doing that. 👍
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942

But that's not what happened

Brexiteers "won" the hand in 2016.

All they have done since then is reduce the size of the pot...
  • Options

Or something..

It looks bad and I apportion blame to Corbyn for facilitating Johnson. Maybe Johnson's posturing, particularly over NI is genius and the EU will fold. If I were them I would do the opposite. Maybe the EU are more reasonable than I am.
    I do not sanction breaking an international treaty but the next six weeks should finally bring brexit to a climax one way or another.

I absolutely want a deal and if no deal it will be the intransgience of both sides and each needs to look at itself

On covid it is clear the young ones are spreading the disease and it is of concern to my wife and I who are both very vulnerable due to our ages and health issues.

It's for these reasons we have decided to go back to semi lockdown limiting our shopping and interaction with people.

We are fortunate to have a lovely home, private south facing gardens, adjoins the local park and is within 50 metres of steps onto the beach.

We are so blessed to be fair
  • Options
    stodge said:

Another observation is American conservatives seem very well entrenched on the Internet - the Federalist and American Greatness among others have writers who are totally subservient to Trump and will slam Biden for anything and everything.

The Top 10 shared posts on Facebook every week are almost entirely dominated by American Conservative News Sources.
  • Options

I don’t know what to do.

No I would not.

I can imagine it might be prioritising those who are older, and who have more symptoms. However I’ve been advised by a medical professional to take a test and there’s no way to input that into the system.

Such prioritisation, if that is indeed occurring, seems silly considering younger people are perhaps more likely to have it at the moment?

I guess I will have to ring 111 and see what they say.
    It sounds like there's capacity issues which is very, very worrying. Hopefully it's a glitch. Has it only happened today? Maybe try tomorrow?

We do not need a return to inadequate testing. That would be horrific.
  • Options

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Go and have a lie down mate.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

IshmaelZ said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

If I had campaigned for Brexit, I could easily see the attraction in demonising the young as a lot of selfish shits who thoroughly deserved what is now very plainly coming their way.
    To continue your analogy then, yes, if the young choose to put the lives and will being of their families in mortal danger so they can continue to party without regret then yes they are a load of selfish shits. And ignorant as well which is why they probably did vote Remain.
    I love the little dig at the end :smile:
  • Options

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

But what you think of as a "negative", the Leavers think of as a positive.

As for afterwards not being asked your opinion that's not true. For one thing there have been not one but TWO General Elections since the referendum and before Brexit. For another from 2017-2019 there was a Hung Parliament with a former Remainer as PM and Remainers majority in Parliament. May's deal could have been accepted which was a much softer deal than what eventually went through, or any other Indicative Vote.

Remainers could have avoided those "negatives" by not being greedy but they got greedy and gave Leavers everything instead.

Thanks for doing that. 👍
    There was nothing in T May’s deal I wanted. It was a hard Brexit without freedom of movement. You guys just wanted it harder.

And I’m glad. It means you own it, and there can be no “this isn’t proper Brexit” nonsense that was obviously going to come about whatever happened.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Crispy pizza base with hoi sin replacing tomato sauce, a conservative amount of mozzarella and good chunks of shredded duck with lumps of spring onion. Give that one a go Mr Eagles.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Not surprising, Pizza Express pizzas are shite, their bases are so thin, it's like eating the toppings on fresh air.
    TSE.

We have nothing more to say. You are dead to me.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Omnium said:

And yet you let someone else publish first! Did the great Lobachevsky teach you nothing!

(A huge plus for Starmer is his reasonableness. It's politics, so there's a daft amount of bickering, but actually far less so than might be the case under a less reasonable loto.)
    I'll confess to sometimes persuading people of something that I was actually dubious about, merely by putting the case more reasonably than my opponents. The more complex the issue, the more people are inclined to go with whoever sounds as though they've got a balanced view.

The downside is that you can't raise much fervor that way, as Starmer is also finding. I know loads of people, not all Labour, who think he's doing quite well. I don't know anyone who thinks he's wonderful. Whether that matters or not in our celeb-focused culture is an interesting question.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Increased*. They have tremendously increased the pot since then.

I don't think anyone could imagine this time two years ago with Johnson and Davis on the backbenches that flash forward two years later we would be getting as hard a Brexit as we are.

Remainers really have continued to double down, lose and lose some more since 2016.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I don't think anyone could imagine this time two years ago with Johnson and Davis on the backbenches that flash forward two years later we would be getting as hard a Brexit as we are.

Remainers really have continued to double down, lose and lose some more since 2016.
    So what? Who cares?
  • Options
    Is that "not built yet" or "will never be built"?

Because it makes rather a big difference to the story.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Sadly I think you give too much credit to Boris to be thinking ahead at all. I don't view this as either a posture or a signal, just yet another lazy cock-up.

I always enjoy your posts partly because I can't predict what you'll say. That is very funny, and quite possibly true.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2020

I don’t know what to do.

@Gallowgate - Go to your local A&E. Alternatively contact your Consultant / surgeon, but personally I would go to A&E or the hospital at which I had the op.
  • Options

They have tremendously increased the pot since then.

The pot is empty.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's not really the full story is it. At the GE in 2019 the voters declined to revoke the 2016 result and also declined to have a second referendum of some sort, both options of which were offered by Remainer parties. Remainer parties gamble the lot on the 2019 GE, and were comprehensively defeated.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2020

Scott_xP said:

Rather, Hard Leavers have got the project they wanted, and an internally divided and incoherent Tory parliamentary party in its entirety, as well as the central Tory administrations of Cameron, Johnson, and May, in all their glorious ill-focus and incompetence on Brexit, are primarily responsible for all the consequences and permutations of any Brexit that may follow.
  • Options

Sadly I think you give too much credit to Boris to be thinking ahead at all. I don't view this as either a posture or a signal, just yet another lazy cock-up.

I always enjoy your posts partly because I can't predict what you'll say. That is very funny, and quite possibly true.
    Oh Nick I am heartbroken. Are you saying I am fickle? :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:
    It's also bad for Trump, he needs for Biden to run up big wins in California and NY. If Trump isn't doing as badly in California as expected it means his position in the marginal states is worse.
    A shift from Clinton + 30 to Biden +17 in California would unwind most of the electoral college bias on it's own !
    More than likely Biden outperforms this poll I think. There is a GOP senator you can vote for this time round though so that might mean he misses out on Hillary's margin in the state.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Not much on the US polls this evening. The big news obviously is Rasmussen showing Biden ahead 51-43 in Wisconsin. That's a solid 4% swing to the Democrats and would confirm the CBS /YouGov poll suggesting Biden could now be 10 points ahead.

It's a significant lead as the real campaign begins but the Democrats will be in no way complacent (I wouldn't if I were them).

The question will be IF Trump goes down to defeat in two months what lessons (if any) they will draw from the vote. I imagine some will claim "the Left" has somehow subverted American democracy. Others may take a more sanguine approach.

State polls (particularly when taken on their own, rather than looking at a trend) do not have much predictive power. (No, not even Trafalagar.)

Watch the national share.

Trump needs to be within four points of Biden on the eve of voting to be in with a realistic shot. He's at around 7.5% today. That means he needs to reduce the lead by about 3.5%. And he has 56 days to do it.
  • Options

That's not really the full story is it. At the GE in 2019 the voters declined to revoke the 2016 result and also declined to have a second referendum of some sort, both options of which were offered by Remainer parties. Remainer parties gamble the lot on the 2019 GE, and were comprehensively defeated.

A better analogy for that would be "Deal or No Deal" (Yes, I know...)

Having rejected the bid from the banker, Leavers are still hoping the box with the big prize is waiting for them.

What they haven't worked out yet is that all the boxes are empty.

There is no grand prize.

BoZo lied to them
  • Options
    Apparently there’s more “slots” released at 9am every morning. Really looking forward to that “free-for-all”.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

I apologise to Carlotta. I was rude. Also unfair, as I know she supported May's Deal.

You can certainly make the argument that those that didn't want Brexit at all made a tactical error in not accepting a bad Brexit when we actually ended up with a disastrous Brexit. Those who implemented or abetted that disastrous Brexit aren't in a position to make that argument. People who always disliked Brexit are in a position to do so. As are those that supported a more sensible Brexit but draw the line at what transpired. The Philip Hammonds of this world.
  • Options
    The usual suspects will be on here telling us this is all false and it is really because of planning laws and the lack of available land so we should just let the builders do what they want. It's bloody infuriating.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Before all the Trump fans on here get excited, I've had a quick look at the California poll crosstabs.

http://womensliberationfront.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Statewide_California_8.25.20-Tables_Only-Tables_Only.pdf

Sample of 600 Registered CA voters of whom 591 are "Extremely Likely" to vote.

The Party split is 49% Democrat, 30% Republican and 18.5% Independent.

I'd be interested in @rcs1000's view of that split.
    OK. Registration in California is:

Democrats 46%
    Republicans 24%
    Other/Independent 30%

So given my estimates of how "enthused" various groups are, that sounds reasonable, albeit perhaps a little more Republican focused than it should be.
  • Options

Apparently there’s more “slots” released at 9am every morning. Really looking forward to that “free-for-all”.

Easier to get Glastonbury tickets.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    @Gallowgate my experience in Teesside on Sunday was that early on the morning nothing was available, then at around 9am new slots were released
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited September 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Not surprising, Pizza Express pizzas are shite, their bases are so thin, it's like eating the toppings on fresh air.
    TSE.

We have nothing more to say. You are dead to me.
    Having seen the footage of Chicago casserole pizzas can I say I'm equally disgusted by that as I am by Pizza Express air pizzas.
  • Options
    @Gallowgate Just seen your latest post. Mobile testing venue near me was pretty quiet yesterday so hopefully you should be all right.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    edited September 2020
    dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

1963? My Dad born 1940 never did it.
    Otherwise point taken.
    As the father of a 16 and 20 year old I haven't heard them or their friends moaning about any of the restrictions.
    I've heard plenty from my generation and above.
    And plenty using young people as a justification for their own objections.
    My Dad was born in 1942 and missed it by a couple of months. But yes according to both the Government website, the National Service archives and dear old Wiki National Service ended in 1963. I wonder though if that was when the last National Serviceman was demobbed at the end of his 2 year service?

Edit: oh and point well taken. In spite of my dig in answer to some of the comments earlier, all the youngsters I know in the 18-20 category (my daughter being one of them) are doing their best to abide by the rules and make the best of what is obviously a difficult time. I do think there is going to be a big issue with the Universities which are still charging full whack but only providing a limited on line service for the foreseeable future.
  • Options

I wonder though if that was when the last National Serviceman was demobbed at the end of his 2 year service?

or 3 years
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Rather, Hard Leavers have got the project they wanted, and an internally divided and incoherent Tory parliamentary party in its entirety, as well as the central Tory administrations of Cameron, Johnson, and May, in all their glorious ill-focus and incompetence on Brexit, are primarily responsible for all the consequences and permutations of any Brexit that may follow.
    Fantastic isn't it?
  • Options
    Is anyone offering odds on whether Boris is going to end up cancelling Christmas this year? As in, no household mixing permitted. Everyone cooking sad little joints of turkey on the crown, pulling a cracker over zoom and all that jazz.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Fantastic isn't it?
    ;.)
  • Options

Can somebody explain why in the USA it's different
    Apparently Americans need to be told how to take one number from another.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

@Gallowgate Just seen your latest post. Mobile testing venue near me was pretty quiet yesterday so hopefully you should be all right.

I still don’t understand what I’m supposed to do to meet the “don’t turn up if you feel ill” rule. Hope for a home-test kit tomorrow I guess.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Otherwise point taken.
    As the father of a 16 and 20 year old I haven't heard them or their friends moaning about any of the restrictions.
    My Dad was born in 1942 and missed it by a couple of months. But yes according to both the Government website, the National Service archives and dear old Wiki National Service ended in 1963. I wonder though if that was when the last National Serviceman was demobbed at the end of his 2 year service?

Edit: oh and point well taken. In spite of my dig in answer to some of the comments earlier, all the youngsters I know in the 18-20 category (my daughter being one of them) are doing their best to abide by the rules and make the best of what is obviously a difficult time. I do think there is going to be a big issue with the Universities which are still charging full whack but only providing a limited on line service for the foreseeable future.
    The last conscripts were taken in 1960 and demobbed in 1963.

By 1960, you had the choice of studying for a degree/doing an apprenticeship or doing NS first. So many people who were 18 from 1957 onwards would have missed doing NS as they had delayed it until it was abolished.
  • Options

Or something..

I do not sanction breaking an international treaty but the next six weeks should finally bring brexit to a climax one way or another.

I absolutely want a deal and if no deal it will be the intransgience of both sides and each needs to look at itself

On covid it is clear the young ones are spreading the disease and it is of concern to my wife and I who are both very vulnerable due to our ages and health issues.

It's for these reasons we have decided to go back to semi lockdown limiting our shopping and interaction with people.

We are fortunate to have a lovely home, private south facing gardens, adjoins the local park and is within 50 metres of steps onto the beach.

Best wishes BigG. the safest place to be. I live in an idyllic village in the Vale overlooking the Bristol Channel, but I am still of working age, so I am reluctantly out and about earning a crust every day. Covid-central (Newport) tomorrow.

The news today is depressing, both Covid and Brexit making headlines that don't inspire confidence. The "suck it up losers" posts tonight make this a darker place than normal. Off to watch the Crash Detectives to cheer myself up.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

State polls (particularly when taken on their own, rather than looking at a trend) do not have much predictive power. (No, not even Trafalagar.)

Watch the national share.

Trump needs to be within four points of Biden on the eve of voting to be in with a realistic shot. He's at around 7.5% today. That means he needs to reduce the lead by about 3.5%. And he has 56 days to do it.

The other point which no one seems to mention is the number of Undecided or Don't Know voters is tiny. 2-5% in most polls - last time I think it was still 16-20% after the conventions.

The US electorate is highly polarised with entrenched views. I doubt the debate at the end of the month will make a scintilla of difference.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    A blog post completely unrelated to Brexit. Thank God.

https://barry-walsh.co.uk/light-of-knowledge/

@Gallowgate: I’d go to A&E if you’ve recently had an op and aren’t feeling well, rather than faffing about with online tests or whatever.

The first time I had the infection I now have earlier this year, I left it 2 days before seeing anyone by which time it had got v bad indeed and took me bloody ages to recover from. Don’t take the risk.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Otherwise point taken.

The last conscripts were taken in 1960 and demobbed in 1963.
    Cheers.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It's all very well saying that, but the voters preferred Cameron, May and Johnson to any of the options.
  • Options

The usual suspects will be on here telling us this is all false and it is really because of planning laws and the lack of available land so we should just let the builders do what they want. It's bloody infuriating.
    Of course, this is a symptom of a flawed planning system.

The problem is that because of how insane our planning system is that having a plot of land with consent is worth a lot more than a plot of land. Actually then building the property adds value too, but the "value" of simply achieving consent is ridiculously overvalued.

Which means that there exist too many companies who make profit simply from getting land, getting consent then looking to flip it on with consent. No need to actually do any hard work like actually building a building on the site.

In a functional property market these companies would be considered parasites and not valuable. Because of our screwed up planning system, these companies serve a purpose, which is inane they really ought not to exist at all.

If planning were quick, simple and easy to get then land with consent would not be worth much if any more than land on it own which means that sitting on banks of land with consent would be totally pointless.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Is anyone offering odds on whether Boris is going to end up cancelling Christmas this year? As in, no household mixing permitted. Everyone cooking sad little joints of turkey on the crown, pulling a cracker over zoom and all that jazz.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1303063043396558853
  • Options

dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

alterego said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Otherwise point taken.

‘National Service persisted until 1960 with the last of its recruits not demobbed until 1963.’

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/how-army-inspired-anti-establishment

Imagine (sorry) how the world would look if Lennon and Macca had to do it. I think Lennon in particular (born Oct ‘40) narrowly missed out on it. Though he said he would’ve gone to Ireland to avoid it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Where are the signs that hospitalisations are increasing exponentially, though ?

I may not be an expert, but I don't see it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

A blog post completely unrelated to Brexit. Thank God.

https://barry-walsh.co.uk/light-of-knowledge/

@Gallowgate: I’d go to A&E if you’ve recently had an op and aren’t feeling well, rather than faffing about with online tests or whatever.

The first time I had the infection I now have earlier this year, I left it 2 days before seeing anyone by which time it had got v bad indeed and took me bloody ages to recover from. Don’t take the risk.

If you're worried about your health then you don't want to risk sepsis or something else.

The reports are A&E are uncharacteristically quiet at the minute aren't they? I don't know if its possible to call ahead if you're worried about COVID?
  • Options
    For all those good PBers laying Trump at the moment:

https://twitter.com/davidsiders/status/1302967065603522561
  • Options

Or something..

Best wishes BigG. the safest place to be. I live in an idyllic village in the Vale overlooking the Bristol Channel, but I am still of working age, so I am reluctantly out and about earning a crust every day. Covid-central (Newport) tomorrow.

The news today is depressing, both Covid and Brexit making headlines that don't inspire confidence. The "suck it up losers" posts tonight make this a darker place than normal. Off to watch the Crash Detectives to cheer myself up.
    Thanks for that and I very much share your views

Keep safe
  • Options

Or something..

Thanks for that and I very much share your views

Keep safe
    Thanks
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Fantastic isn't it?
    You’re on great form tonight, Phil. Stay classy.
  • Options
    That focus group finding of suburban women has a ring of the 1992 GE election for me.

Quietly back the incubant out of fear. 1992 it was fear of tax. 2020 POTUS fear of riots in their backyard.

• Options

Freggles said:

I still don’t understand what I’m supposed to do to meet the “don’t turn up if you feel ill” rule. Hope for a home-test kit tomorrow I guess.
    I didn't see that, but I was getting a test for a family member. Surely if you have symptoms but are well enough to drive its fine?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Fantastic isn't it?
    You’re on great form tonight, Phil. Stay classy.
    Thanks.

It takes two to tango, but yeah it is fun tonight.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Where are the signs that hospitalisations are increasing exponentially, though ?

Hopefully its not just lagging two weeks.

Test and Trace is our best weapon in getting as back to normal as possible while still fighting this damned virus.

If its just a case that late at night the slots have been booked and they'll be back 9am tomorrow morning that's fine - if there's a shortage and rationing again though, that is very worrying - and loss of control can't be that far behind.

I hope Hancock is on top of this and we don't hear any more bloody inane talk of getting people who are perfectly happy working from home to be out and about instead. Lets get back to normal with people who WANT to be out and about.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited September 2020
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I didn't see that, but I was getting a test for a family member. Surely if you have symptoms but are well enough to drive its fine?
    I had a drive thru test a couple of weeks ago, there is virtually no interaction between the driver and the testers, so the risk of spreading anything to them is negligible imo. The passenger side window is wound down about 2cm for 5 seconds to pass the test kit in, thats the only contact.

Its therefore probably more about being confident that safe to drive**, and thinking about whether its more urgent as other posters have advised - no knowledge on that.

** If you are unsure about being safe to drive and might be infectious, its best to test this by driving 60 miles the day before, preferably to a tourist attraction.
  • Options
    This is great news for BoZo

The testing shitshow, or the back to school shitshow, means that Starmer probably won't ask him about the Brexit shitshow at PMQs...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Look at the US state of Georgia's graphs. Their deaths fell even as cases exploded in their second wave
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

The view from some is that at the moment it’s just young people catching it but inevitably they’ll spread it to the old and hospitalisations will soon crescendo again. Maybe. I still think we’re largely looking at testing artefacts, combined with some real increase in household clusters from all the extended foreign summer holidays coming to an end.

As I have said before, a positive test for someone who is asymptomatic and in all practical sense is unable to pass on infection to others is a philosophical not medical question.

Robert S talks about cognitive bias from people who don’t know anyone with the virus and who don’t want to curtail their behaviour. Again, maybe. But you could turn this on it’s head. People who have either had their lives touched by the virus or have acquaintances who have may also not be best equipped to offer cold hard risk based decision making. Which might include, our PM, Health Sec, Chief of Staff and CMO...

And “Long Covid” may turn out to be a thing. But some evidence from Austria suggests it’s a fading risk.
  • Options

For all those good PBers laying Trump at the moment:

https://twitter.com/davidsiders/status/1302967065603522561

They do know the riots are happening right now. Under Trump...
This discussion has been closed.