Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

This doesn't sound good. 17 staff and two pupils test positive for C-19 in Dundee school which re-opened a fortnight ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8658065/Huge-Covid-outbreak-shuts-Dundee-school-17-staff-test-positive.html

I would imagine the staff to pupil ratio to be the other way round, around 1:10 so that is a huge discrepancy in the infection rate between teachers and pupils.

If after testing the whole school, the positive staff to pupil ratio stays that high, the medics/virologists/epidemiologists need to get stuck into "why".
    Probably due to the nature of the school rather than anything else, high degree of adult support required.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited August 2020

Not sure how he’s worked that one out considering @HYUFD reckons the Scottish Cons are only going to stand in 33% of constituencies.
    By holding or increasing their list seats and winning all the constituencies they were first or second in 2016 to become largest Unionist Party and ideally ahead of the SNP but of course it is unlikely though he will still push it
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    I cannot recall the CMOs having anything to do with Barnard Castle

These people actively want to harm our children with their claptrap
    Perhaps Dr Van-Tam should lead on this, as he had the balls to effectively say Cummings was wrong and the rules did apply to him and his case?
    There is a much wider issue here than party politics

All schools across the UK are going back full time, all the CMO's have endorsed it, and Sturgeon (SNP), Drakeford (Labour), Foster ( DUP) and Boris (Conservative) are at one, in demanding it

And for once all the politicians are correct and I will hold no quarter with anyone who wants to interrupt the process and thereby damage a generation of our children
    We cannot know that the pols are correct - we have to hope that they are.
    They are correct in their determination to get schools back and this should not be a political divide
    But the responsible authorities for England seem to be answering the wrong question; I don't know about the others.

The key thing about reopening schools fully is all the boring stuff. How do you get kids and staff to and from school. How closely sealed do the bubbles have to be? (Extending the primary model of one teacher with one class all the time is the most biosecure, normally secondaries have a jumble of different classes with different teachers; what's the right compromise?) What do you do about resources and marking? How do you handle staff and pupil absence? Changing for PE lessons? Local shutdowns? Masks or no masks?

All of these questions have answers, of a sort. Not perfect, but reasonable compromises. The trouble is that this government governs in primary colours, hates boring detail and resents being questioned. So those answers don't really exist, in England anyway. Rather than a coherent plan, we have something that has the potential to fall apart in about week 3, if not the first time a cheeky Year 9 starts coughing in a lesson and saying they've suddenly lost their sense of smell. Coupled with the usual sloganising. Because slogans is what this government does best.

And those who point this out get accused of wanting to damage a generation of our children.
    You need to trust the teachers and head teachers more.

Schools have myriads of configuration issues and it simply impossible to think HMG should intervene in matters that those running the schools have the actual knowledge of
    Exactly. This is the approach in Germany. The state goverment sets the guidelines and the school directors *have to* set the rules to fit their school as best as possible.
  • Options
    If Davey wins it will be the first time the more liberal rather than social democratic LD leadership candidate has won since Nick Clegg beat Chris Huhne
  • Options
    nichomar said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

This doesn't sound good. 17 staff and two pupils test positive for C-19 in Dundee school which re-opened a fortnight ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8658065/Huge-Covid-outbreak-shuts-Dundee-school-17-staff-test-positive.html

I would imagine the staff to pupil ratio to be the other way round, around 1:10 so that is a huge discrepancy in the infection rate between teachers and pupils.

If after testing the whole school, the positive staff to pupil ratio stays that high, the medics/virologists/epidemiologists need to get stuck into "why".
    Probably due to the nature of the school rather than anything else, high degree of adult support required.
    Maybe. I can think of several other non-medical reasons. But finding and explaining anomalies is a key way of advancing science, even if in many situations the explanation is a boring one.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps Dr Van-Tam should lead on this, as he had the balls to effectively say Cummings was wrong and the rules did apply to him and his case?

All schools across the UK are going back full time, all the CMO's have endorsed it, and Sturgeon (SNP), Drakeford (Labour), Foster ( DUP) and Boris (Conservative) are at one, in demanding it

And for once all the politicians are correct and I will hold no quarter with anyone who wants to interrupt the process and thereby damage a generation of our children
    They are correct in their determination to get schools back and this should not be a political divide
    But the responsible authorities for England seem to be answering the wrong question; I don't know about the others.

The key thing about reopening schools fully is all the boring stuff. How do you get kids and staff to and from school. How closely sealed do the bubbles have to be? (Extending the primary model of one teacher with one class all the time is the most biosecure, normally secondaries have a jumble of different classes with different teachers; what's the right compromise?) What do you do about resources and marking? How do you handle staff and pupil absence? Changing for PE lessons? Local shutdowns? Masks or no masks?

All of these questions have answers, of a sort. Not perfect, but reasonable compromises. The trouble is that this government governs in primary colours, hates boring detail and resents being questioned. So those answers don't really exist, in England anyway. Rather than a coherent plan, we have something that has the potential to fall apart in about week 3, if not the first time a cheeky Year 9 starts coughing in a lesson and saying they've suddenly lost their sense of smell. Coupled with the usual sloganising. Because slogans is what this government does best.

And those who point this out get accused of wanting to damage a generation of our children.

Schools have myriads of configuration issues and it simply impossible to think HMG should intervene in matters that those running the schools have the actual knowledge of
    Exactly. This is the approach in Germany. The state goverment sets the guidelines and the school directors *have to* set the rules to fit their school as best as possible.
    It has to be a success, HMG needs its state funded child care system working so people can go back to work and keep Starbucks open.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,656
    eristdoof said:

stodge said:

eristdoof said:

stodge said:

Morning all 😀

While I no longer have “skin in the game” as the Americans would say, I hope Ed Davey wins.

Wow, that euphemisism could be taken several ways. Some overexcited types might even call it anti-islamic and/or anti-semitic.
    No, it’s an aphorism widely used in business, finance, gaming and politics .

If it has other cultural connotations, I am completely unaware of them.
    I can guess what it is supposed to mean. But there are many other examples of sayings/aphorisms/euphemisms/acronyms turning into double entendres.
    I think you're off base with this one.
    Unless it's one of those hitherto completely innocent phrases appropriated by QAnon to communicate their latest petty vileness ?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I have been a school governor at a tiny primary school.

The schools I know have done their best, and come up with systems to allow them to open in September. They really haven't been helped by the government guidance, which has continually changed and been absurdly unrealistic. But there's really very little slack in the system, or management expertise to deal with this sort of thing.

The schools I know aren't asking for detailed intervention. But they need realistic expectations, honest data and a shared understanding of when to slip back to plan B. They haven't had that. They certainly don't need guilt-tripping.

How dare you tell me to just trust more.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/KennyFarq/status/1297822857628651521

"Senior Tories" want Richard Leonard to resign to save BoZo's job, when in fact to save the Union BoZo should quit.

Labour needs to run a million miles from any kind of deal or pact with the Tories in Scotland
    They have a coalition in Aberdeen. And more or less informally elsewhere.

I suppose Better Together in 2013-14 and the effects thereof count as a reason not to do it again, rather than an actual example!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

The schools I know have done their best, and come up with systems to allow them to open in September. They really haven't been helped by the government guidance, which has continually changed and been absurdly unrealistic. But there's really very little slack in the system, or management expertise to deal with this sort of thing.

The schools I know aren't asking for detailed intervention. But they need realistic expectations, honest data and a shared understanding of when to slip back to plan B. They haven't had that. They certainly don't need guilt-tripping.

Agreed.
  • Options

Not sure how he’s worked that one out considering @HYUFD reckons the Scottish Cons are only going to stand in 33% of constituencies.
    Because Labour MSPs will vote for him?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    nichomar said:

eristdoof said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It has to be a success, HMG needs its state funded child care system working so people can go back to work and keep Starbucks open.
    And you think working from home whilst having children around is easy?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

It's a 'special' school, dealing with pupils with additional needs, so they likely have to interact in different ways than in a more regular school.

As you say, they need to throw a lot of resources into working out the spread pattern in this school, so that other schools can avoid similar scenarios.

It does look as if staff rooms are a potential problem, alongside large numbers of parents congregating outside the school gates.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    Does anyone who talks at that speed ever make good judgments?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

"Senior Tories" want Richard Leonard to resign to save BoZo's job, when in fact to save the Union BoZo should quit.

Labour needs to run a million miles from any kind of deal or pact with the Tories in Scotland

I suppose Better Together in 2013-14 and the effects thereof count as a reason not to do it again, rather than an actual example!
    Trouble is that Labour folk who thought working with the Tories in 2013-14 was a disastrous mistake left then, and rump SLab still sees it as the lesser of 2 evils. If the likes of Baillie or Murray take over they'd be quite open to the idea. Unfortunately for them up to 40% of their current voters don't agree.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

eristdoof said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

And you think working from home whilst having children around is easy?
    I didn’t say it was, just implying there are other reasons why the schools must reopen. It’s even more desperate in Spain where people have had to go back to work leaving their children with minimal childcare.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

Are the government overplaying their hand on the ‘little risk’ in returning to school? It has the potential to seriously rebound and slap them in the face. If there are multiple school closures with associated infections it will be described as another disaster. I’m not saying they shouldn’t open but the positioning strikes me as rather silly.

For all of the talk of Sturgeon's conservative approach to easing lockdown she has taken a huge gamble with full school reopening here in Scotland.

The number of children taken for a Covid test after picking up a cold after coming back to school in the last week and a half must be gigantic.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Trouble is that Labour folk who thought working with the Tories in 2013-14 was a disastrous mistake left then, and rump SLab still sees it as the lesser of 2 evils. If the likes of Baillie or Murray take over they'd be quite open to the idea. Unfortunately for them up to 40% of their current voters don't agree.
    B ut it would be too late for the voters once the likes of Ms Baillie and Mr Murray were reelected. So the SLAB-Tory alliance would have to be kept very quiet. Edit: Before the election, I mean.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

That's a deeply generic set of concerns.

I don't think Nevada is comfortably blue but for two elections in a row now Nevada has outperformed the polling for the Dems.

In 2016 the polling average had it as a narrow Trump win, in 2018 the polling average was a tie (with a 7 point GOP lead at one point) and the Dems won by 5.

The key thing to look at is voter registration. It maps to votes cast in presidential election.
    I think the Democrats are ridiculosuly complaeent.

They are relying on pumping up turning amongst Democrats that didn't turn out for Hillary in 2016.

Biden also needs to leave his comfort zone and target WWC floating voters in the swing states *directly* as well.

So far, I see little sign of that.
    I'm seeing a number of independent and left-leaning commentators (the likes of Joe Rogan, Dave Rubin and Tim Pool) saying that people are moving away from the Dems, because of their implicit support for what's going on in Portland and other cities, as well as the wider culture war stuff, that they seem unwilling to condemn in order to keep their left wing on side.

There could be a lot of non-voters among the centrists, who see two extreme positions and can't be bothered with it - but there's also an opportunity for both parties to try attract these swing voters in the next two months. Turnout was barely 50% last time out, there's tens of millions of these mostly non-political centrists, and whichever party reaches out to them could be rewarded.

I think the main Presidential race is closer than most people think.
    "Lol" at the idea that Tim Poll and Joe Rogan are left leaning.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It would obviously only be conceivable if the Tories had more MSPs than both Scottish Labour and the LDs and the SNP and Greens had lost their majority, in which case Ross would ask Scottish Labour and the Scottish LDs for confidence and supply support
  • Options

Alistair said:

FTPT

That's a deeply generic set of concerns.

I don't think Nevada is comfortably blue but for two elections in a row now Nevada has outperformed the polling for the Dems.

In 2016 the polling average had it as a narrow Trump win, in 2018 the polling average was a tie (with a 7 point GOP lead at one point) and the Dems won by 5.

The key thing to look at is voter registration. It maps to votes cast in presidential election.
    I think the Democrats are ridiculosuly complaeent.

They are relying on pumping up turning amongst Democrats that didn't turn out for Hillary in 2016.

Biden also needs to leave his comfort zone and target WWC floating voters in the swing states *directly* as well.

So far, I see little sign of that.
    I agree its astonishing how complacent the dems are. And not just with working class white voters.

I wonder if this the election where we find out BLM do not represent minority communities in America, in Britain, or anywhere else.

BLM polls positively with greater than 50% of the US population with DKs included = "Dems will lose because I don't like BLM"

It's this kind of insight I come to PB for
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

I served for years as PTA chairperson and on many charity organsisations

And I endorse the teachers and head teachers to put in place the safeguards needed to get our children back to school safely

There is no other option
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It would obviously only be conceivable if the Tories had more MSPs than both Scottish Labour and the LDs and the SNP and Greens had lost their majority, in which case Ross would ask Scottish Labour and the Scottish LDs for confidence and supply support
    You're forgetting

(a) the near certainty of a split in Labour
    (b) the existence of the new Alliance (which is a pro-indy party aiming at list seats)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Just having a look at the Trump manifesto. It's actually fairly good, I think in the hands of someone else the republicans would smash the Dems, but with Trump they're going to lose. The agenda will definitely continue to be popular after he loses and will form the basis of GOP policy for the next 20 years.
  • Options
    Contra some of the 'lockdown has sent our kids' insane stuff.

https://twitter.com/moh_kohn/status/1297838032784105472?s=20
  • Options
    nichomar said:

eristdoof said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

You really do not get it

It has to succeed for the sake of all our children, nothing more, nothing less
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD has let the mog oot the poke!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    HYUFD said:

If Davey wins it will be the first time the more liberal rather than social democratic LD leadership candidate has won since Nick Clegg beat Chris Huhne

It must be nice to be so knowledgeable of a Party of which you are neither a member nor a supporter but you are entitled to an opinion even if it is nonsense.

Tim Farron is no social democrat - he is a grassroots liberal who came through the Party’s local Government base and was a well known activist before becoming an MP.

• Options
    Another dropped catch for Jimmy!!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Do you think Mr Starmer would agree? Or whether SLAB would declare UDI? In which case which bit from the ensuing split would be Provisional and which is Official?
  • Options

nichomar said:

eristdoof said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

You really do not get it

Don’t be so naive, yes it’s important but there are other reasons the government wants it to succeed. Their attitude to education and skillful management of the challenges that have occurred shows how they view state provision.
  • Options
    I do hope the England fielding coach is somewhere a long way from Jimmy Anderson for some little time, maybe the next 10 years.

And it's Buttler again.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

You're forgetting

(a) the near certainty of a split in Labour
    (b) the existence of the new Alliance (which is a pro-indy party aiming at list seats)
    At the end of the day as long as Labour votes down indyref2 at Holyrood making Ross FM is less important than a neutered Sturgeon. Personally I would be fine with Sturgeon staying as FM as long as there was no nationalist majority at Holyrood.

The new Alliance would only likely win a handful of seats at most and would be countered by Galloway's Alliance for the Union which is also standing for the list anyway
  • Options
    Johnson wants schools to succeed otherwise Starmer will have won again
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

*Grabs tinfoil hat and ducks*
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just having a look at the Trump manifesto. It's actually fairly good, I think in the hands of someone else the republicans would smash the Dems, but with Trump they're going to lose. The agenda will definitely continue to be popular after he loses and will form the basis of GOP policy for the next 20 years.

If it is so good Trump might get a significant convention bounce in which case still all to play for, especially in the EC
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

Yes don 't forget the Tories gave Salmond confidence and supply from 2007 to 2011, though of course would not do that for the SNP now
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

eristdoof said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

You really do not get it

Don’t be so naive, yes it’s important but there are other reasons the government wants it to succeed. Their attitude to education and skillful management of the challenges that have occurred shows how they view state provision.
    I am not naive, there are benefits from a successful return but after the chaos of the last few weeks nothing is more important for a whole generation of young people than to be back at school

Fortunately all the nations leaders recognise this
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

And I endorse the teachers and head teachers to put in place the safeguards needed to get our children back to school safely

There is no other option
    I'm not saying they shouldn't reopen. Frankly, it was possible to reopen on a part-time basis in June; that should have happened, schools were ready to do that, but the government demanded that primary schools reopen full-time for select year groups instead. (Which was actually less workable, but there you go.)

The idea that teachers don't want schools open again, as normally as possible, is a fever dream in a tabloid editor's office. The last term has sucked for everyone. But the inability of this government to support schools planning (they have been absurdly specific about some things) has made the reopening later and less robust than it could have been.

And no amount of sloganising changes that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There is no 2020 manifesto. They have kept the 2016 platform.

Which given that it is heavily critical of the current president is a bit weird.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

Yes don 't forget the Tories gave Salmond confidence and supply from 2007 to 2011, though of course would not do that for the SNP now
    Strictly speaking, what they did (along with the Liberal Democrats) was informally agreed to abstain on questions of confidence and supply. It was the Greens who formally agreed to support the government.

However, Salmond understood - as did Cameron - that the key thing was to get into power. After that, the options open far wider.

And ever since that moment when they were put into power on a knife edge with the connivance of their political enemies, the SNP have been rampant.

Newsflash though - it isn't going to happen for the Scottish Tories. It is inconceivable they could be the largest party unless Sturgeon is caught taking bribes to let Donald Trump sell most of Glasgow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

That magical confidence & supply that exists nowhere except in the fevered imaginations of Scotch experts.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

There is no other option
    I'm not saying they shouldn't reopen. Frankly, it was possible to reopen on a part-time basis in June; that should have happened, schools were ready to do that, but the government demanded that primary schools reopen full-time for select year groups instead. (Which was actually less workable, but there you go.)

The idea that teachers don't want schools open again, as normally as possible, is a fever dream in a tabloid editor's office. The last term has sucked for everyone. But the inability of this government to support schools planning (they have been absurdly specific about some things) has made the reopening later and less robust than it could have been.

I have never suggested teachers don't want schools to open

I know from my own family how involved those in education have been throughout the summer and my son has not had a single day off.

I trust the heads, teachers and parents to succeed in this

However, not so some of the teaching unions
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    HELP - Why am I now getting emails from rcs100 every time someone posts here. I have blocked all notifications. What more must I do?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

That magical confidence & supply that exists nowhere except in the fevered imaginations of Scotch experts.
    Scotch experts? Well, with hindsight it was a whisky strategy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

Confidence and supply means a formal agreement, but there was not one there - only informal case by case. The real reason as I recall it was SLAB's Bain Principle of never, ever, agreeing with the SNP, which led to absurdities such as SLAB voting down their own demands and policies when the SNP helpfully and positively adopted them. And budgets which included them. The only way one could make any progress and keep government going was SNP-Tory horsetrading on such things as extra polis (ironically enough in view of what happened south of the border).

• Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

From a Scot who should know Scotch is a drink
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

There is no other option

I know from my own family how involved those in education have been throughout the summer and my son has not had a single day off.

The unions also want the schools to reopen.

They want them to do so safely, for the good of their members (which is, y'know, their job).

They are criticising the government because the government's policies on schools reopening bear as much resemblance to reality as a polling count in Belarus.

This somehow becomes 'unions are stopping schools from reopening' because the embarrassing truth that schools are currently struggling to reopen due to impossible demands from the top cannot be admitted for political reasons.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

There is no other option

I have a damn sight more confidence in the unions than I do in the DOE (and the confidence I have in the unions is a pretty low base).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

TUD is being ironic about those whose knowledge of Scotlandf is a bit, say, outmoded.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    JohnO said:

HELP - Why am I now getting emails from rcs100 every time someone posts here. I have blocked all notifications. What more must I do?

You may have accidentally bookmarked the thread.

You can undo this by clicking bookmarks under your Vanilla profile and unbookmark the thread.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Worked OK for Salmond.

TUD is being ironic about those whose knowledge of Scotlandf is a bit, say, outmoded.
    He sounds positively Livet with them.

But he's also in the middle of one of his Famous Grouses.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

There is no other option

They want them to do so safely, for the good of their members (which is, y'know, their job).

They are criticising the government because the government's policies on schools reopening bear as much resemblance to reality as a polling count in Belarus.

This somehow becomes 'unions are stopping schools from reopening' because the embarrassing truth that schools are currently struggling to reopen due to impossible demands from the top cannot be admitted for political reasons.
    And this applies across the UK them
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Which given that it is heavily critical of the current president is a bit weird.
    Yes, which is why it would be popular in someone else's hands, rather than Trump. If this is the basis of the GOP platform in 2024 I can see them winning with a sane and articulate candidate.
  • Options
    Labour tonight sets a “Built in Britain” test for UK military hardware as it steps up its fight for a bumper defence deal to stay on these shores.

This is superb! Go Labour, go!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited August 2020
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

You may have accidentally bookmarked the thread.

You can undo this by clicking bookmarks under your Vanilla profile and unbookmark the thread.
    Many thanks and yes, I had done that but unbookmarked it some time ago. Perhaps it's just playing a bit of catch-up with me. Appreciate your help.
  • Options
    It is the right thing to do
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I am a teacher.

I am a parent.

I am a grandparent

I am a parent

There is no other option

And this applies across the UK them
    Yes.

The algorithm should have been warning enough.

Across the UK, education departments suck more than a whore Clinton is paying by the orgasm.

(Incidentally, there are not 'national teaching unions' either. The EIS and SSTA are the largest unions in Scotland. I don't even know if the NEU and NASUWT are organised there. They are in NI, but I think they're the third and fourth largest unions behind the INTO and UTU. So the fact that with such diversity they're all saying the government is shit is in itself quite telling.)
  • Options

Labour tonight sets a “Built in Britain” test for UK military hardware as it steps up its fight for a bumper defence deal to stay on these shores.

So Labour are in favour of higher procurement prices and payola to the British military industry? Also, what about international projects such as the F-35 and the eurofighter replacement which is being developed with the Italians? Is Labour suggesting we should pull out of those?

This is just more sixth form rubbish and won't stand up to scrutiny.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SimonJonesNews/status/1297845179471278080

So let's just ignore international law then
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

What if the UK-built military hardware is crap?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ah, the glory days of the SA80.
  • Options

It absolutely isn't. Taxpayers will end up shouldering the bill for more expensive, less good military hardware if we have a closed industry. It also won't be without retaliation from the US who would seize upon such a policy to freeze out British firms from the much more lucrative US military supply chain. It is a rubbish policy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, which is why it would be popular in someone else's hands, rather than Trump. If this is the basis of the GOP platform in 2024 I can see them winning with a sane and articulate candidate.
    The question is how much madder can Trump get? He is a known quantity and has presided over much of what he was voted in to get done.

Yes of course he is mad as a box of frogs but people know him and I'm not sure how many people have come to hate him that didn't hate him in 2016. Plus he would be "our" mad president.

I'm still green on him returning as POTUS.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And what happens when the US retaliates and freezes UK manufacturing out of their supply chain with the same kind of policy?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It absolutely isn't. Taxpayers will end up shouldering the bill for more expensive, less good military hardware if we have a closed industry. It also won't be without retaliation from the US who would seize upon such a policy to freeze out British firms from the much more lucrative US military supply chain. It is a rubbish policy.
    It's a pro-Britain policy, it's what the party needs to do
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Having his puppet lose control of Belarus would be an absolute disaster for Putin, a much bigger issue than his modest gains in the Ukraine. I can see military intervention either officially or the usual "paramilitaries".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

For the three vessels in the article, we should build them here

On the wider subject of all military procurement no
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's posturing. Britain doesn't have the capacity or the skill to equip our military even at the grossly inflated prices we're paying.

However, Labour needs to do some patriotic posturing right now. Corbyn would never have said something like this. Built in Britain, possibly, but not military hardware given his personal (admittedly incoherent) views on violence.

A bit more Ernest Bevin 'we've got to have it and it's got to have a bloody Union Jack on it' would underline Labour have moved on.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

No it isn't, it's a policy which would result in British companies being frozen out of international trade. It's an absolute disaster. It's the opposite of pro-Britain, it is, and I hate using the phrase, a horribly little-Englander policy which denies the existence of overseas trade and that overseas trade is more valuable to our companies and workers than domestic trade in certain industries.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

MaxPB said:

Why should we? If a US or other company can do it the same for less money or better for the same money then we should pick that option. We shouldn't reward incompetence from BAE.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    DavidL said:

Having his puppet lose control of Belarus would be an absolute disaster for Putin, a much bigger issue than his modest gains in the Ukraine. I can see military intervention either officially or the usual "paramilitaries".
    Lukashenko is not Putin's puppet. In fact, he spent much of the campaign slagging off Russia, even to the extent of arresting 33 Russians on a 'deniable op' who were transiting through Minsk. With hindsight, this was not a smart move.

Do not confuse him with Yanukovych in the Ukraine. In fact, there's every reason to think the opposition have warmer relations with Russia than Lukashenko does. It's not out of the question that if Putin intervenes, it will be to topple him.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/claudiamconwayy/status/1297352852021665792

This is a bizarre relationship, everyone in Conway's family seems to hate Trump except Kellyanne
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

It's posturing. Britain doesn't have the capacity or the skill to equip our military even at the grossly inflated prices we're paying.

However, Labour needs to do some patriotic posturing right now. Corbyn would never have said something like this. Built in Britain, possibly, but not military hardware given his personal (admittedly incoherent) views on violence.

A bit more Ernest Bevin 'we've got to have it and it's got to have a bloody Union Jack on it' would underline Labour have moved on.
    Absolutely, political posturing is exactly what this is and that's why it's right
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No it isn't, it's a policy which would result in British companies being frozen out of international trade. It's an absolute disaster. It's the opposite of pro-Britain, it is, and I hate using the phrase, a horribly little-Englander policy which denies the existence of overseas trade and that overseas trade is more valuable to our companies and workers than domestic trade in certain industries.
    It's showing the party has changed and is interested in defence and security. It's posturing but clever politics
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    This is fucking stupid. They are going to get a yard with 130 employees that hasn't built an RFA vessel for 30 years to build Fleet Solid Support. All managed from Spain using something that is unbelievably called "Shipyard 4.0". Add in MoD program management and it's obvious that nothing at all can go wrong with this plan.

They will almost certainly have to drop the number of hulls from 3 to 2 to make this fucking nonsense affordable.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/claudiamconwayy/status/1297352852021665792

This is a bizarre relationship, everyone in Conway's family seems to hate Trump except Kellyanne

Kellyanne herself hated him too before he had the nomination.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Why should we? If a US or other company can do it the same for less money or better for the same money then we should pick that option. We shouldn't reward incompetence from BAE.
    In this recession we should retain jobs here at every opportunity
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It's showing the party has changed and is interested in defence and security. It's posturing but clever politics
    No, it's showing that the party is more interested in posturing than leading. The right thing to say is call out British companies who see the taxpayer as a cash piñata and asking why they are charging so much more for equivalent hardware, not just asking for the state to sign a blank cheque.
  • Options
    In May 1989 the elections in the DDR Egon Krenz announced the result as 98.8% voting for the "official candidates". By early December "the peaceful revolution" had smashed the totalitarian regime of Erich Honecker and Egon Krenz, with no deaths and few injuries.

Here's hoping "Europes last dictatorship" and Lukaschenko go the same way in the next 7 months.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No, it's showing that the party is more interested in posturing than leading. The right thing to say is call out British companies who see the taxpayer as a cash piñata and asking why they are charging so much more for equivalent hardware, not just asking for the state to sign a blank cheque.
    I think I actually agree with you but "built in Britain" and a bit of flag waving is an easy sell to the public
  • Options
    We signed up to one
  • Options

We signed up to one
    We didn't.

Consequence of Northern Ireland being legally within UK’s customs territory as per NI protocol.

Case closed.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

That would suggest that he has implemented very little of what he promised in 2016.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

In this recession we should retain jobs here at every opportunity

By using the defence budget for industrial welfare they are retaining a small number of relatively highly paid jobs. It's doing nothing for the poorest - the unskilled and unemployed - which is no surprise as the tories utterly despise them.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The tragedy of Northern Ireland is that it was the perfect opportunity to make Brexit really, really work for one part of the world that had had so much trouble.

It could have been declared neutral territory in the EU, a member of both the UK and EU markets, and eligible to export into both without tariffs.

Let's face it, nobody's going to ship goods from Romania to Cork to Belfast to Liverpool. So it isn't a major hole, as Berlin was in the Iron Curtain.

But just think how many companies would have set up offices and supply chains there.

And yet neither side had the vision to propose it. Very sad and a golden chance missed to the great loss of somewhere that could use a break.

And instead, Johnson shat all over it.
  • Options

We signed up to one
    We didn't.

Consequence of Northern Ireland being legally within UK’s customs territory as per NI protocol.

Case closed.
    We signed up to one. Something the PM said no PM could ever do.
  • Options

We signed up to one
    We didn't.

Case closed.
    We signed up to one.

Case closed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

We signed up to one
    We didn't.

Case closed.
    We signed up to one. Something the PM said no PM could ever do.
    Don't you come in here with facts!
This discussion has been closed.