Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories are to lose their majority there has to be an “u

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories are to lose their majority there has to be an “understanding” between Starmer and Davey

So the punters had the LD leadership contest right. In a relatively low turnout election (57% of members) Sir Ed Davey beat Layla Moran by 63.5% to 36.5%. This was largely expected and broadly in line with the YouGov members’ poll last January.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    NHS England Hospital numbers

Headline - 7
    7 days - 6
    Yesterday - 3

• Options
    Bae in the header, hot stuff!
  • Options
    FPT
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:
    This should bring a smile to all you United fans.

Sorry not sorry.
    Outrageous. The man is Innocent until proven Guilty again.
    I would tentatively suggest that a trial where none of the accused were present or represented and none of the evidence was challenged is not particularly good evidence of anything.
    The Greek police are arseholes when I've seen them in action, which was in Athens 2007.

If weren't for the fact there were so many British police out there in an official capacity it would have been much worse.

They were indiscriminately striking people, including young children, then trying to arrest stricken people for being a nuisance is truly special.

My 'favourite' was the Greek rozzer who grabbed official match tickets from Liverpool fans, hit them, then said they were trying to get in without tickets.
  • Options
    Some fascinating polling by Ipsos MORI, see this twitter thread by Keiran.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1298964794377146369
  • Options
    Mori has Johnson -17, Starmer +2
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Starmer looks sweaty and tense in that picture. Can we not get a better one for use in Headers?

He's a relaxed and hunky guy and there's loads of suitably good shots available.
  • Options
    I am shocked. Boris Johnson is a hypocrite.

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1298968761312124928
  • Options

Some fascinating polling by Ipsos MORI, see this twitter thread by Keiran.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1298964794377146369

Starmer with a 1% lead in Favourables now.

Thankfully it's midterm and there's no elections for four years. No need to panic or overreact.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Starmer looks sweaty and tense in that picture. Can we not get a better one for use in Headers?

He's a relaxed and hunky guy and there's loads of suitably good shots available.

He's looking hot as hell, as always
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1298970955650412545

So right now people are voting Tory, some in spite of Johnson - Brexit?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    edited August 2020
    kinabalu said:

We need an equivalent to the one of Corbyn in his bow tie, tails and cloak beside the Roller. Always liked that.
  • Options

Look at the Favourables not the net figures. There's not a big difference between either the main parties or the leaders.
  • Options
    2019 did show that Labour can spend money where it wants to and defend or not defend certain seats.

Unfortunately they did it based on factional arguments rather than logic
  • Options

Look at the Favourables not the net figures. There's not a big difference between either the main parties or the leaders.
    Why should I not look at net
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

We need an equivalent to the one of Corbyn in his bow tie, tails and cloak beside the Roller. Always liked that.
    It was a Bentley.

It is my all time favourite of the pics I've uploaded to the PB servers.

Also loved the one of the Brexiteers with the flag saying

'Brexit mean's (sic) Brexit'
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    I am anti gongs for anything except valour and possibly voluntary work and there shouldn't be a difference between the type of gongs for 'important' people and and the plebs who are brave or give freely of their time for good causes.

I am also anti Farage, BUT if gongs are going to be given out for your political impact (and there are a whole host of MPs and ex-MPs who most of us have never heard of who have got them) then Farage must come pretty high up on the list for deserving one (says through gritted teeth).
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Those IPSOS graphics suggest voters are not at all impressed with the choice they have before them at the moment.

They don;t like the government at all, but they ain;t too keen on the mainstream alternatives, either.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited August 2020

FPT:

“It’s so bizarre, I actually feel a little bit sorry for the prime minister because it wasn’t ever intended for him – I did it as a message for the school management before I left in February,” the 48-year-old former librarian, who asked not to be named, told HuffPost UK.

“It just became untenable to carry on working there because of the lack of support I had and I was left with no choice but to resign.

“That’s why I decided to leave them a big message during my last week. They obviously never actually noticed, and it went untouched for six months.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/castle-rock-school-librarian-didnt-arrange-book-boris-johnson_uk_5f4767b7c5b64f17e138dbdd

I think we all know how s/he feels. Says a lot that the management haven’t noticed though.
  • Options
    Have we discussed this?

Sir Keir Starmer KCB really should throw Corbyn out of the party for this sabotage.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1298852196365357056
  • Options
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18678380.labours-richard-leonard-dragging-party-him-fmqs-ineptitude/

A Scottish Labour source said: “Richard not only missed an open goal, he wasn’t even on the pitch.
    “It’s bad enough that he’s dragging the party down with him, but he’s also putting the Union at risk with his ineptitude.”
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.
    I would tentatively suggest that a trial where none of the accused were present or represented and none of the evidence was challenged is not particularly good evidence of anything.
    The Greek police are arseholes when I've seen them in action, which was in Athens 2007.

If weren't for the fact there were so many British police out there in an official capacity it would have been much worse.

They were indiscriminately striking people, including young children, then trying to arrest stricken people for being a nuisance is truly special.

My 'favourite' was the Greek rozzer who grabbed official match tickets from Liverpool fans, hit them, then said they were trying to get in without tickets.
    Heysel.
  • Options

Because when people are giving voting intention they're asked who they're voting for ... not who they're voting against. You can't go to a ballot paper and say I'm against the Tories so put a cross in the Tories box to say you're against them and then leave it at that.

Hypothetically in a sample of 3 I might say I am for Johnson, against Starmer and neutral on Davey, voting Tories. You might say you're against Johnson, for Starmer, neutral on Davey and voting for Labour. Someone else may say they're against Johnson neutral on Starmer, for Davey and voting for the Lib Dems.

Now that sums to between three people 1 favourable for each leader and 1 vote for each party. Net it is plus one for Davey, neutral for Starmer and minus one for Johnson but the votes don't reflect that.

If a party is inoffensive but doesn't attract much actually in favour or voting for them then does the fact they're inoffensive so are net popular but with little actual support mean they're doing well?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,053
    Isn’t Build Back Better the government’s slogan? Does Jo Swinson think she’s still in coalition?

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1298961796368396288?s=21
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Yes. He really did look like the Absolute Boy in that one.

Suggest this for SKS -

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/labour-leader-keir-starmer-arrives-at-wakefield-college-for-news-photo/1265546492
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?
  • Options

Because when people are giving voting intention they're asked who they're voting for ... not who they're voting against. You can't go to a ballot paper and say I'm against the Tories so put a cross in the Tories box to say you're against them and then leave it at that.

Hypothetically in a sample of 3 I might say I am for Johnson, against Starmer and neutral on Davey, voting Tories. You might say you're against Johnson, for Starmer, neutral on Davey and voting for Labour. Someone else may say they're against Johnson neutral on Starmer, for Davey and voting for the Lib Dems.

Now that sums to between three people 1 favourable for each leader and 1 vote for each party. Net it is plus one for Davey, neutral for Starmer and minus one for Johnson but the votes don't reflect that.

If a party is inoffensive but doesn't attract much actually in favour or voting for them then does the fact they're inoffensive so are net popular but with little actual support mean they're doing well?
    I've understood from @MikeSmithson for quite a while net figures are a very good judge of historical electoral outcomes
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040
    Wouldn't entirely surprise me if Trump descends from a chopper carrying a gold plated AR15 accompanied by Baron in full body armour.

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1298958865732521985?s=20
  • Options

Inoffensive is worse than having positive support, but the net figures are telling us something important. Part of the difference between 2017 and 2019 was the change from "Jeremy isn't my cup of tea, but not the end of the world" to "OMG must stop Comrade Jezza".
  • Options

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18678380.labours-richard-leonard-dragging-party-him-fmqs-ineptitude/

A Scottish Labour source said: “Richard not only missed an open goal, he wasn’t even on the pitch.
    “It’s bad enough that he’s dragging the party down with him, but he’s also putting the Union at risk with his ineptitude.”

But apart from that....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?
    If I were a greek rozzer who'd heard about it, I'd behave like that. Sowing -> reaping.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,192

Isn’t Build Back Better the government’s slogan? Does Jo Swinson think she’s still in coalition?

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1298961796368396288?s=21

Isn't she learning from what the Tories did so well in the Coalition?

Shamelessly adopt your opponents policies when they are popular, so you can gain credit for them and neutralise them as a point of difference. Then you can choose how to differentiate yourself on terrain that favours you.

It's a good slogan, but now it's like motherhood and apple pie. Everyone's in favour of it, so what? What are the Tories doing to make it happen? Why aren't they doing x, y and z as well?
  • Options

Heavily moustachioed & sunglass-wearing Scottish Labour source going by the name of Man Iurray I bet.
  • Options

I've understood from @MikeSmithson for quite a while net figures are a very good judge of historical electoral outcomes
    This is an article @MikeSmithson wrote in 2011.

From 2010-2015 Labour consistently led in the polls, Milliband frequently led in net favourability, but Cameron consistently led in absolute favourability.

Which proved to be more accurate in the 2015 election?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    FPT
    The Spanish outbreak is predominately asymptotic (60%) and under 40, the numbers hospitalized are low enough, in most communities, to not stress the system (I posted some Covid % Hospital occupancy rates a few days ago) and transfers to icu proportionally low as well. The problem is that it is occasionally getting into care homes causing deaths. Sticking my neck out I think we are reaching the peak of this wave in the country overall but with hot spots still occurring. Of course it could all go titus aribus when the schools go back and there is not great confidence that it won’t despite the planning and precautions.
  • Options

From 2010-2015 Labour consistently led in the polls, Milliband frequently led in net favourability, but Cameron consistently led in absolute favourability.

Your image doesn't work but thanks.
  • Options

Inoffensive is worse than having positive support, but the net figures are telling us something important. Part of the difference between 2017 and 2019 was the change from "Jeremy isn't my cup of tea, but not the end of the world" to "OMG must stop Comrade Jezza".
    Corbyn made people either turn out to vote Tory to stop him, or to not bother.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    It is even possible the 2 parties could end up in coalition in 2024 with Starmer PM and Davey Deputy PM if say Labour gain 70 to 80 seats from the Tories in England and Wales and 20 from the SNP in Scotland and the LDs pick up 20 from the Tories in London and the South Labour and the LDs would be on 330 seats ie a majority combined.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Spain has now overtaken the UK on Covid deaths per head, Spain 620 and the UK 610 per million as of today

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    I see the government is generously offering £13 per day to people having to self-isolate.
  • Options

Odd it shows on my side.

Here is his original article. Pre-vanilla so no comments but has his original article in full: https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/29/should-the-blues-be-worried-about-daves-ratings-collapse/
  • Options

Odd it shows on my side.

Here is his original article. Pre-vanilla so no comments but has his original article in full: https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/29/should-the-blues-be-worried-about-daves-ratings-collapse/
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    edited August 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?
    If I were a greek rozzer who'd heard about it, I'd behave like that. Sowing -> reaping.
    But that was over twenty years ago and in the previous six years Liverpool had been to two European finals without incident.

Since readmittance the greatest violent seen involving fans from England featured Arsenal.
  • Options

Odd it shows on my side.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Spain has now overtaken the UK on Covid deaths per head, Spain 620 and the UK 610 per million as of today

Let’s have a chorus of Rule Britannia to celebrate.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?
    But that was over twenty years ago and in the previous six years Liverpool had been to two European finals without incident.

Since readmittance the greatest violent seen involving fans from England featured Arsenal.
    Citation required.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1298965974759149568

I don't care to fight either way, I think the Empire is in the past and that is where it should stay
  • Options

I don't care to fight either way, I think the Empire is in the past and that is where it should stay

I think you would struggle to find anybody who wants a new empire.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?

Citation required.
    The 2000 UEFA Cup Final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfir10me2EQ
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,196

Wouldn't entirely surprise me if Trump descends from a chopper carrying a gold plated AR15 accompanied by Baron in full body armour.

Did they figure out whether this was actually illegal yet?
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    lol - did you steal that from Isam's bedroom wall? - and if so what were you doing there?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

It was a Bentley.

It is my all time favourite of the pics I've uploaded to the PB servers.

Also loved the one of the Brexiteers with the flag saying

'Brexit mean's (sic) Brexit'
    I can sort of understand apostrophe's being missed out, but I can never understand them being added :wink:
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    nichomar said:

FPT
    The Spanish outbreak is predominately asymptotic (60%) and under 40, the numbers hospitalized are low enough, in most communities, to not stress the system (I posted some Covid % Hospital occupancy rates a few days ago) and transfers to icu proportionally low as well. The problem is that it is occasionally getting into care homes causing deaths. Sticking my neck out I think we are reaching the peak of this wave in the country overall but with hot spots still occurring. Of course it could all go titus aribus when the schools go back and there is not great confidence that it won’t despite the planning and precautions.

A lot of this is why we should be cautious at looking at increased case numbers as suggesting that the epidemic is at the same state as it was in March - we are finding a far higher proportion of those with the disease. Still need to be very careful, and people need to keep to the rules as best that the can, but this doesn't look like a second wave of deaths to me (yet).
  • Options

Mere details like that are for the little people.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672

I could murder an empire biscuit.But what is the pc term for one?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

We'll settle instead for an apology from the anti-Boristas about how we are the shittest at everything in Europe......nay, the world.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?

Citation required.
    The 2000 UEFA Cup Final.

And you think the causal factor there were the Arsenal fans? Given what happened at the semi final, I think the opponents were the key factor.
  • Options
    The Tories aren't fighting to get lots of state aid. They're seeking to ensure that we decide for ourselves. That's the issue.

I said the other day what happens if we wish to put in favourable tax conditions to attract Tesla to build a Gigafactory in the UK providing thousands of highly productive, high paying jobs . . . in a way that Ireland has done for Apple and and Germany have done for Tesla . . . but the EU decides us having competitive taxes there is illegal state aid in our case and we have no recourse to deal with that?

I'm OK with the principle of no state aid, I am not OK with a foreign country determining our policies and interpreting it for us.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

A bakewell biscuit perhaps? Its pretty similar.
  • Options

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

We'll settle instead for an apology from the anti-Boristas about how we are the shittest at everything in Europe......nay, the world.
    Still time yet.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:
    lol - did you steal that from Isam's bedroom wall? - and if so what were you doing there?
    (a) no, (b) none of your business.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

I didn't know bakewell biscuits existed, I've always had it as a tart.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,192

I see the government is generously offering £13 per day to people having to self-isolate.

That's the standard statutory sick pay rate divided by seven and rounded down to a whole number of pounds.

I'm very supportive of increasing our pitifully low rates of social security, but it's a hard struggle. Even Corbyn gave up on promising money for social security (the cowardly, malign waste of space that he proved to be).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?

Citation required.
    The 2000 UEFA Cup Final.

And you think the causal factor there were the Arsenal fans? Given what happened at the semi final, I think the opponents were the key factor.
    It happened on Arsenal's watch, not all those fans convicted at Heysel were Liverpool fans, but Liverpool (rightly) took the blame for that disgrace.
  • Options

On top of any other benefits that they are receiving.
  • Options
    Meanwhile maskless, free, prosperous Sweden is thinking of further relaxations....allowing gatherings of 500 seated people.

Maybe their young people just don;t fancy a nite out, like they do in Spain. Or its more spaced out there innit.

Or something.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Paging @isam Starmer 1% ahead on gross favourable.
  • Options
    On topic I know something about the LDs running a paper candidate to try and help Labour. We didn't just have a candidate who largely boycotted coming to campaign, we put out some almost endorsements of the Labour candidate which made the national press.

The problem was that local Labour activists viewed our running at all to be proof we were Tories, that the votes we were taking off the Tories in Tory wards were votes stolen from the blessed Jeremy, and nationally there was no reciprocity.

Frankly as a democrat I do not want to see parties stepping down for each other. People should be able to vote for the party of their choice. But clever campaigning and maximising pockets of support is the only way to play FPTP. The huge increase in the LD vote 2017 > 2019 delivered no progress. Just as the 20% surge in the Tory vote 2015 > 2017 lost them seats.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

Wasn't it originally the German Biscuit and then like that patriotic marketing move that rebranded the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, changed to the Empire Biscuit in WWI? Perhaps in the light of Scotland's likely future, it could revert to that as a friendly gesture?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Not familiar with them. *Checks* they seem to need almond and cherry whereas the former is missing and the latter replaced by raspberry jam, at least in the Lothians variety of empire biccy. Sound good though.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020

Meanwhile maskless, free, prosperous Sweden is thinking of further relaxations....allowing gatherings of 500 seated people.

Maybe their young people just don;t fancy a nite out, like they do in Spain. Or its more spaced out there innit.

Or something.

Sweden 25 people per km squared
    England 432 people per km squared

There might be a difference there. See if you spot it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

I didn't know bakewell biscuits existed, I've always had it as a tart.
    You're a tart?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

On topic I know something about the LDs running a paper candidate to try and help Labour. We didn't just have a candidate who largely boycotted coming to campaign, we put out some almost endorsements of the Labour candidate which made the national press.

The problem was that local Labour activists viewed our running at all to be proof we were Tories, that the votes we were taking off the Tories in Tory wards were votes stolen from the blessed Jeremy, and nationally there was no reciprocity.

Frankly as a democrat I do not want to see parties stepping down for each other. People should be able to vote for the party of their choice. But clever campaigning and maximising pockets of support is the only way to play FPTP. The huge increase in the LD vote 2017 > 2019 delivered no progress. Just as the 20% surge in the Tory vote 2015 > 2017 lost them seats.

Have to be very careful about endorsing other candidates expenses wise, don't you?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Given the legal troubles Trump (and his family and associates) will likely be facing if he loses do a few more crimes matter?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Is that a section of the Mexican wall he's going to build?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorry not sorry.

Heysel.
    What about it?

Citation required.
    The 2000 UEFA Cup Final.

It happened on Arsenal's watch, not all those fans convicted at Heysel were Liverpool fans, but Liverpool (rightly) took the blame for that disgrace.
    Of course, the blame was shared throughout English football in 1985. Perhaps that was understandable, but I can see why fans of certain clubs are still bitter about it.

But as it happens I think Liverpool get too much of the blame for Heysel. My friends were there in 1980 for the Cup Winners Cup Final and they said the ground was falling to bits and completely unsuitable for a major European final. And the Juve fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in 1985.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Spain also has very dodgy accounting on the death figure, the true figure is 60-70% higher according to El Pais who did a lot of research into it.
  • Options
    Limited cooperation on opposition priorities yes, nothing else until they clean the cesspit out.
  • Options

Or something.

The comparison was between Sweden and Spain.

Spain is pretty big too. And mask crazy. Ditto France.

Why are they doing so badly when Sweden is doing so well?

Yeh its them youngster going to dem nite clubs innit, before they was closed weeks ago.

or something.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

“It’s so bizarre, I actually feel a little bit sorry for the prime minister because it wasn’t ever intended for him – I did it as a message for the school management before I left in February,” the 48-year-old former librarian, who asked not to be named, told HuffPost UK.

“It just became untenable to carry on working there because of the lack of support I had and I was left with no choice but to resign.

“That’s why I decided to leave them a big message during my last week. They obviously never actually noticed, and it went untouched for six months.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/castle-rock-school-librarian-didnt-arrange-book-boris-johnson_uk_5f4767b7c5b64f17e138dbdd

I think we all know how s/he feels. Says a lot that the management haven’t noticed though.
    That’s sure as hell something the PM’s SpAd should have noticed though.

From now on, some poor bugger is going to be sent well in advance of ministerial visits to look for this stuff. Visions of Malcolm Tucker screaming blue murder at whoever was in charge of setting up the venue.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Wasn't it originally the German Biscuit and then like that patriotic marketing move that rebranded the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, changed to the Empire Biscuit in WWI? Perhaps in the light of Scotland's likely future, it could revert to that as a friendly gesture?
    Oh - didn't know that at all. One l earns so much on PB. A gastronomic erquivalent of the House of Battenberg, so to speak.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    DavidL said:

On top of any other benefits that they are receiving.
    What other benefits?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

FPT:

From now on, some poor bugger is going to be sent well in advance of ministerial visits to look for this stuff. Visions of Malcolm Tucker screaming blue murder at whoever was in charge of setting up the venue.
    Well, his Spad’s eyesight isn’t very good. In fact, he quite famously had to test it by driving to Barnard Castle...
  • Options

Or something.

Yeh its them youngster going to dem nite clubs innit, before they was closed weeks ago.

or something.
    Stupidly night bars with disco music opened up at the end of May (I think) the rules were in place and have widely been ignored despite hundreds of fines being imposed. They are all shut again since 17/8 except where idiot judges have reversed the shutdown. We’re in a period of mass movement of people as Madrid and Murcia second home owners head for the coast meeting up with friends not seen for a year, lots of hugs and kisses and un distanced ad hoc parties on the terrace. There are reasons for the outbreaks, they could have been minimized if people had obeyed the rules, worn their masks and kept two meters apart but they didn’t.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    As they probably already know who did it, I suppose an "investigation" would be a waste of time.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1298984877153345536?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

FPT:

Well, his Spad’s eyesight isn’t very good. In fact, he quite famously had to test it by driving to Barnard Castle...
    That SpAd is on leave this week, apparently took the time off he said he would months ago, to have an operation.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    edited August 2020
    tlg86 said:

Of course, the blame was shared throughout English football in 1985. Perhaps that was understandable, but I can see why fans of certain clubs are still bitter about it.

But as it happens I think Liverpool get too much of the blame for Heysel. My friends were there in 1980 for the Cup Winners Cup Final and they said the ground was falling to bits and completely unsuitable for a major European final. And the Juve fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in 1985.

Indeed, one of the earliest indications to me that Hillsborough wasn't the fault of Liverpool fans was when I met a Leeds fan in 1992/93 ish, he said Leeds had played a semifinal there a few seasons prior and Leeds fan experienced a crush, and said something similar happened a few years prior to that involving Spurs.

In a book by Tony Evans (I think) he pointed out prior to the Heysel final both Liverpool and Juventus tried to get the final relocated because it was known the stadium wasn't up to scratch but UEFA did a 30 minute inspection in April and said it was fine.

As for the ban, I do feel sorry for the likes of Norwich, Wimbledon, and Coventry who were denied. An Everton supporting friend is convinced that the ban denied Howard Kendall's team the inevitability of doing a Liverpool and winning 3/4 European Cups in a short space of time.

The irony is lost on the likes of Manchester United fans who chant 'murderers' at Liverpool when their own fans have murdered Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough fans and at one point rioted so badly in Europe that they were thrown out of a European competition, but were allowed back in on the proviso they had to play 300 miles away from Old Trafford.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Have to be very careful about endorsing other candidates expenses wise, don't you?
    Yes. Speaking of which, did we ever get to the bottom of this mob from the last election, they sent out lots of leaflets saying nothing at all about themselves, only negative things about the Conservatives?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Together
  • Options

Or something.

or something.
    Who says Sweden is doing so well?
This discussion has been closed.