Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories are to lose their majority there has to be an “u

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I'd draw the line below Liverpool/Manchester/Sheffield and above Nottingham.
    Completely wrong. The line is the M4.
    https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1299001940387348484
    I expect this is a minority view, but the North actually starts in Guildford. The dividing line is marked precisely by two high streets that run in parallel. One is clearly in the north, the other in the south. The good stuff is certainly to be found south of Guildford.
    Good grief you have just put me in the North of England by a few hundred metres. Who would have thought it.
    Where do I buy a flat cap?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Grade A Pillock.....

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1298966004756877313?s=20

I wonder what (if any) sanction he'll face?

He was just testing his eyes to see if he was fit to travel.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,051

Nigelb said:
    What is Biden meant to say to stop a juvenile white supremacist, 'blue lives matter' fanatic armed with an illegal firearm from crossing state lines then killing multiple people?
    For a white supremacist fanatic, he doesn't seem to have done much damage in the two hours he was guarding a dealership, or even in the six minutes between being ordered away from the dealership by the police, and reappearing being chased by a mob of people both carrying guns and firing them into the air, before surrendering himself to police with his hands in the air (not with his finger on the trigger, as claimed earlier on here).
    So after committing multiple felonies but prior to shooting dead multiple people he didn't do much damage? Is that how it works in your eyes?
    If you're a white supremacist fanatic who sets out to kill people, you act like Breivik. If you hang around outside a dealership for two hours, run away from a mob rather than open fire into it, then shoot three people - one running at you as gunshots are fired, a second hitting you with a skateboard while you're on the ground, and a third drawing an illegal firearm after approaching you with their hands up - before immediately surrendering yourself to police, you may just be a seventeen year old who wanted to LARP as police one night and bit off more than you could chew.
    If you're a black teen hanging around outside a dealership with an automatic weapon, you probably get shot by police before you even get a chance to run away.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

Sandbach Services is the border for me between North and Midlands. The M62, Warrington down to Holmes Chapel and Congleton are in the North. Stoke etc are in the West Midlands.

Watford Gap Services marks the beginning of the South.

Wrong
    The South ends at the Black Cat roundabout after which it is the Midlands until Sutton on Trent after which it is the North.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Who knew that there were whole lines of LOHAG that consisted of 'bleurr, argle, bleurr, bleurr'?

https://twitter.com/JaneyGodley/status/1299003311048339458?s=20

Got to cut these lads some slack I guess, these last few months they've been on an intensive cultural learning curve involving Gone With the Wind, commemorative statuary, the music of Vera Lynn and the oeuvre of Lozza Fox.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    TOPPING said:

Sandbach Services is the border for me between North and Midlands. The M62, Warrington down to Holmes Chapel and Congleton are in the North. Stoke etc are in the West Midlands.

Wrong
    The South ends at the Black Cat roundabout after which it is the Midlands until Sutton on Trent after which it is the North.
    Wrong. You can maybe think about being in the “North” when you drive past the Angel of the North.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Just been looking at the wikipedia entry for Northampton - I sort of feel that's where the North starts and it's etymology is apparently North Home Town.

One other thing struck me as surprising. They have sea cadets.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Just been looking at the wikipedia entry for Northampton - I sort of feel that's where the North starts and it's etymology is apparently North Home Town.

So does Cannock.

No, I don't understand it either.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Leicester also do, or did, anyway, complete with a whaler on davits suspended above the River Soar just neart the preserved sewage pumping station.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Wrong
    Wrong. You can maybe think about being in the “North” when you drive past the Angel of the North.
    Crazy talk.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Jonathan said:

These are truly exciting times British Politics. Ed Davey is a colossus inspiring a new generation. The atmosphere is electric today.

Subtle and understaed. Me gusta!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Wrong
    Crazy talk.
    I don’t make the rules.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,745
    ydoethur said:

I nearly solved all our nation's debt problems today.

I was filling in my tax return, and clicked to make a payment.

The payment was declined. I was somewhat puzzled, until I realized I had entered my card number where it said 'amount to pay.'

Of course, if the bank had accepted that payment, that would only have been the start of my adventures...

Thats it! One person pays off the national debt, declares bankruptcy, and we're all off the hook...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Leicester also do, or did, anyway, complete with a whaler on davits suspended above the River Soar just neart the preserved sewage pumping station.
    I'm intrigued. Why did they need to preserve sewage before pumping it? Surely they were looking to clean it?
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited August 2020

This may surprise you but a great many murderers, even fanatical murderers, kill people when they perceive the opportunity is right to do so and don't simply go out premeditated shooting like its a game of Grand Theft Auto.

When the Bernie Sanders supporter James Hodgkinson tried to assassinate Republican congressmen, he opened fire immediately after finding out his targets were Republican and kept shooting until the police killed him. This kid sees a mob of BLM activists coming towards him and runs away, shoots only when he's cornered or on the ground, and then surrenders to police. Not everybody who does bad things has to be a fascist, fanatical white supremacist: this is real life, not Twitter.

I'm sure if a Black Lives Matter protestor had shot dead multiple people you'd be on here sympathising that maye they had just bitten off more than they could chew too. Or maybe not.

For some reason, it only seems to be white people killing black people that gets much of an airing on here. Try posting about the killing of David Dorn while exaggerating for effect or flat-out getting the facts wrong, and if I notice it I'll step in.
    rcs1000 said:

If you're a black teen hanging around outside a dealership with an automatic weapon, you probably get shot by police before you even get a chance to run away.

And yet when this black militia marched with automatic weapons, the only shootings were blue-on-blue.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    White supremacist endorses Biden having backed Trump in 2016

https://www.newsweek.com/richard-spencer-joe-biden-trump-maga-1527141
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I'd draw the line below Liverpool/Manchester/Sheffield and above Nottingham.
    Completely wrong. The line is the M4.
    https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1299001940387348484
    I expect this is a minority view, but the North actually starts in Guildford. The dividing line is marked precisely by two high streets that run in parallel. One is clearly in the north, the other in the south. The good stuff is certainly to be found south of Guildford.
    Good grief you have just put me in the North of England by a few hundred metres. Who would have thought it.
    Where do I buy a flat cap?
    Top tip: steer clear of Ilkley Moor till you find out.

'Appen.
  • Options

Same for me
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm intrigued. Why did they need to preserve sewage before pumping it? Surely they were looking to clean it?
    Sorry! The station is preserved, with its beam engine(s) - http://www.abbeypumpingstation.org/exhibits.asp
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Sorry! The station is preserved, with its beam engine(s) - http://www.abbeypumpingstation.org/exhibits.asp
    Ah.

I had visions of that as a useful political metaphor.

'Boris Johnson is like the preserved sewage pumping station in Leicester. He keeps everything shit.'
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited August 2020

As the Guardian comments today politics is weird just now, and to be honest I agree

Boris has been found out as wholly unsuitable for this pandemic and he is in real danger of his backbenchers calling time on him. I cannot imagine their mail bags (and e mails) are anything but a nightmare to deal with and Boris's star quality has disappeared through his illness and the enormity of trying to fight the pandemic

Boris needs percentages in his favour now more than at anytime as he enters the stormy waters of a no deal brexit and they are wholly absent

However, I do not have confidence that Starmer would be in any better a position and as for Ed Davey I just do not see him cutting through at all

I genuinely hope the conservative party wake up to the dangers ahead and let Boris know that he is on borrowed time and that he is not in anything like the position he and Cummings may think he is

The weird part is that in certain circumstances I could even be tempted to look at Starmer though he is not there yet by any means, and a first condition would be for him to reject Corbyn and his cabal from the labour party

It gives me no pleasure to write this and Boris may prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath

But it does give a certain degree of pleasure to read it because if you are seeing through him it means others will be starting to do so too. I'm fairly sure he will not prove you wrong and the decision not to suspend breathing in the interim is therefore a wise one. Still, he got Brexit done, whupped Corbyn, and he's living the dream, so unless those letters and emails are going in in size he'll be thinking all is fine and dandy.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    ydoethur said:

The payment was declined. I was somewhat puzzled, until I realized I had entered my card number where it said 'amount to pay.'

Of course, if the bank had accepted that payment, that would only have been the start of my adventures...

I was once buying a meter for testing the water content of wood, cost £25. The amount entered was just over £250,000 (the last 4 digits being my pin number).

I did the same for a meal nearly paying just over £480,000.

I have the cancelled receipts for both as mementos.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I see the government is generously offering £13 per day to people having to self-isolate.

On top of any other benefits that they are receiving.
    What other benefits?
    Well that will vary from case to case. They might be on SSP, UC, disability benefit, WFTC, whatever. The £13 a day will be in addition to that. Surely that is enough to cover any additional heating and delivery costs?
    Isn’t the problem loss of wages, not heating and delivery costs?

My ex-girlfriend works in a school for vulnerable young adults. Most of the care staff are on near minimum wage. They cannot afford to take a week off work “just in case” on no pay. £13 a day will not cover their loss of wages. Hence they come in, sick.

This applies across the care industry, COVID-19 or not. It encourages ill people to go into work.
    If they are on minimum wage then this is SSP but its in addition and immediate, no waiting period for entitlement. You would get SSP as well after the first 3 days (I think).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I see the government is generously offering £13 per day to people having to self-isolate.

On top of any other benefits that they are receiving.
    What other benefits?
    Well that will vary from case to case. They might be on SSP, UC, disability benefit, WFTC, whatever. The £13 a day will be in addition to that. Surely that is enough to cover any additional heating and delivery costs?
    Isn’t the problem loss of wages, not heating and delivery costs?

My ex-girlfriend works in a school for vulnerable young adults. Most of the care staff are on near minimum wage. They cannot afford to take a week off work “just in case” on no pay. £13 a day will not cover their loss of wages. Hence they come in, sick.

This applies across the care industry, COVID-19 or not. It encourages ill people to go into work.
    If they are on minimum wage then this is SSP but its in addition and immediate, no waiting period for entitlement. You would get SSP as well after the first 3 days (I think).
    I know, but it’s nowhere near enough. That’s my point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Ah.

I had visions of that as a useful political metaphor.

'Boris Johnson is like the preserved sewage pumping station in Leicester. He keeps everything shit.'
    I don't know that that works. There was quite a vogue for, erm, processing the brown stuff into something useful and packing it off to farmers etc.

But admittedly I'm not sure how successful it was - the runny stuff was a big problem.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    HYUFD said:

A rather unusual Damascene conversion:

"However, Spencer said earlier this year that he regrets voting for Trump, following the killing of Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.

Spencer feared that Trump's approved airstrike which resulted in the death of Soleimani brought the U.S. to the brink of war with Iran.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    From a Dundee perspective I would say that the North is north of the Great Glen, basically north of the line from Fort William to Inverness.

Which might hint that it is really a matter of perspective.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

I was once buying a meter for testing the water content of wood, cost £25. The amount entered was just over £250,000 (the last 4 digits being my pin number).

I did the same for a meal nearly paying just over £480,000.

I have the cancelled receipts for both as mementos.
    Igloo energy refused to charge me 747,000 when the reading i gave them was rejected. The first zero of my reading looked very much like an 8 to me!!
  • Options
    Wee Tommy Harris thinks that voters voting for parties that he doesn't like is the antithesis of democratic accountability. No word of what he thinks of people in Scotland getting a government imposed on them by voters in England.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1299010848988463106?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Scott_xP said:
    For that read they have done their prep with Joe - and are now shit scared he could have a meltdown, live....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So the obvious Conspiracy Theory here would be that the racist far right Spencer is doing this to discredit or at least embarrass Joe Biden.

But no! -

"Richard Spencer has always been a member of the far left. They asked him to show support for Trump to help build the narrative of Trump being a racist, and now Richard Spencer is being asked to help build the narrative that Trump is a disaster and Joe Biden is better. Creating a narrative that a President is a disaster doesn't mean they actually are. Based on Trump's policies and how many things he promised to do he's actually had a pretty good 4 years."

Says an internet Trumpster.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Seems there's a debate to define "The North". It seems clear to me that it's the Highlands.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Highlands#/media/File:Scottish_Highlands_and_Lowlands.png
  • Options
    Can't get through the paywall for that article. Always been able to get around the FT's paywall by Googling the article's headline and clicking the article from Google's results which then brings up the full article (I believe Google paying the FT for it not to be paywalled) but that isn't working with that headline. Finding instead other sites with the headline quoting the FT and linking to it, but not the FT itself.

Does that workaround no longer work for the FT anymore?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

So the obvious Conspiracy Theory here would be that the racist far right Spencer is doing this to discredit or at least embarrass Joe Biden.

But no! -

"Richard Spencer has always been a member of the far left. They asked him to show support for Trump to help build the narrative of Trump being a racist, and now Richard Spencer is being asked to help build the narrative that Trump is a disaster and Joe Biden is better. Creating a narrative that a President is a disaster doesn't mean they actually are. Based on Trump's policies and how many things he promised to do he's actually had a pretty good 4 years."

Says an internet Trumpster.
    teH nAzIS wERe SOciaLiSts U kNO.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    DavidL said:

From a Dundee perspective I would say that the North is north of the Great Glen, basically north of the line from Fort William to Inverness.

Indeed. From where I am sitting mostly all of you are north, since you live on North Island.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,051

Scott_xP said:
    For that read they have done their prep with Joe - and are now shit scared he could have a meltdown, live....
    Although as it's not going to have a studio audience, Biden can read off cue cards if necessary.
  • Options

Can't get through the paywall for that article. Always been able to get around the FT's paywall by Googling the article's headline and clicking the article from Google's results which then brings up the full article (I believe Google paying the FT for it not to be paywalled) but that isn't working with that headline. Finding instead other sites with the headline quoting the FT and linking to it, but not the FT itself.

Get paywall avoider for Chrome
  • Options
    DavidL said:

You are General Wade and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed. From where I am sitting mostly all of you are north, since you live on North Island.
    Nah, we're East Island.
  • Options

Who knew that there were whole lines of LOHAG that consisted of 'bleurr, argle, bleurr, bleurr'?

Got to cut these lads some slack I guess, these last few months they've been on an intensive cultural learning curve involving Gone With the Wind, commemorative statuary, the music of Vera Lynn and the oeuvre of Lozza Fox.

Not seeing a cure for cancer or a novella of shattering brilliance and originality emerging from that bunch.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

UNPAYWALL.ORG
  • Options

Never heard of that, will have to Google it.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Urrg. That’s Newcastle’s Bigg Market. Embarrassing.
  • Options

When isn't Newcastle and the Geordies embarrassing?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,276
    How do people get to Trump getting less than 200 votes in the electoral college?

Biden would have to do something like win the Clinton states plus Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona and then 2 out of:
    N Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, Iowa,

Ok a good bet if the odds are right (4-1 would be tempting), but hardly nailed on?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Although as it's not going to have a studio audience, Biden can read off cue cards if necessary.
    IF Biden does the debates and doesn't get whipped or embarrass himself, that's actually a big boost to his campaign. Maybe even a winning boost.

If he shirks the debate the speculation over his soundness of mind only increases.

High risk, high reward.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521
    England cases - absolute numbers

• Options
    England cases - scaled to 100K population

• Options

When isn't Newcastle and the Geordies embarrassing?
    I could never understand Viz magazine till I came to NuT for a conference and saw Bigg Market and Grainger Street on a Friday night.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer looks sweaty and tense in that picture. Can we not get a better one for use in Headers?

He's a relaxed and hunky guy and there's loads of suitably good shots available.

We need an equivalent to the one of Corbyn in his bow tie, tails and cloak beside the Roller. Always liked that.
    It was one of the few times he showed humour publicly, it was good.
  • Options
    England cases - regional summation

The cases numbers are back on their gradual rise after the Northampton episode....

• Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Am I seeing the video of the same incident people are talking about here? A group was chasing Rittenhouse and firing their guns before he shot them.

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1298840777251008512
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

Meanwhile maskless, free, prosperous Sweden is thinking of further relaxations....allowing gatherings of 500 seated people.

Maybe their young people just don;t fancy a nite out, like they do in Spain. Or its more spaced out there innit.

Or something.

Sweden 25 people per km squared
    England 432 people per km squared

There might be a difference there. See if you spot it.
    The comparison was between Sweden and Spain.

Spain is pretty big too. And mask crazy. Ditto France.

Why are they doing so badly when Sweden is doing so well?

Yeh its them youngster going to dem nite clubs innit, before they was closed weeks ago.

or something.
    Who says Sweden is doing so well?
    Many people for some reason. Looks to me like they are in the upper range of bad ones, albeit not as bad as ours
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Then they came for the hymns and the Bible, and Sky Bet League Two did nothing.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1299006655947067397?s=20
  • Options
  • Options

Am I seeing the video of the same incident people are talking about here? A group was chasing Rittenhouse and firing their guns before he shot them.

No he was chased after shooting someone. People tend to try to take down shooters - and those people are typically called heroes for doing so.
  • Options
    People who are less likely to be working want those younger than them to go back to the office, presumably they think WFH is lounging about and "it was much harder in my day"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    DavidL said:

But the Highland line is below that. Goes through Perthshire.
  • Options

No wonder Bury when bust.
  • Options
    What do you expect to be U-Turned?

The Government has not and never will (I assume) say that people must go back to the office - because its not in the Government's power to advise that.

They've said that people should speak to their employers/employees and do what is appropriate to them. That should be the last word in the matter.
  • Options

The Government has not and never will (I assume) say that people must go back to the office - because its not in the Government's power to advise that.

They've said that people should speak to their employers/employees and do what is appropriate to them. That should be the last word in the matter.
    They were briefing we should be getting back to the office and Hancock is unpopular - says at least one commentator - for not pushing
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Meanwhile maskless, free, prosperous Sweden is thinking of further relaxations....allowing gatherings of 500 seated people.

Maybe their young people just don;t fancy a nite out, like they do in Spain. Or its more spaced out there innit.

Or something.

Sweden 25 people per km squared
    England 432 people per km squared

There might be a difference there. See if you spot it.
    The comparison was between Sweden and Spain.

Spain is pretty big too. And mask crazy. Ditto France.

Why are they doing so badly when Sweden is doing so well?

Yeh its them youngster going to dem nite clubs innit, before they was closed weeks ago.

or something.
    Who says Sweden is doing so well?
    Many people for some reason. Looks to me like they are in the upper range of bad ones, albeit not as bad as ours
    Not as bad?

As far as I can tell cases per 100,000 for the last 14 days
    Sweden 35.36
    United Kingdom 22.56

They've got many more cases per capita than we do as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

People who are less likely to be working want those younger than them to go back to the office, presumably they think WFH is lounging about and "it was much harder in my day"

Boll8cks

Its more likely that older people are anxious for the young to be able to get out and live their lives, seeing that Corona hardly affect them at all.

That's certainly my view.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    The north of England lies north of the Tees. South of that lies Yorkshire, an independent land. Then you get to the Midlands.
  • Options

They were briefing we should be getting back to the office and Hancock is unpopular - says at least one commentator - for not pushing
    So that's on commentators not the Government. The Government != commentators.

Some commentators have been wanting that for months but quite frankly its illiberal and not the Government's job to tell employers how to run their business. They've said what is considered safe and given guidance and that's as far as they should go.

Even if COVID19 disappeared tomorrow never to be seen again, it wouldn't be the Government's job to tell people they must return to the office.
  • Options
    The cases numbers may or may not be driven by finding more cases -

The latest positivity numbers (below) support the idea that Pillar 2 testing is getting better at finding more cases...

In addition, the COVID infection surveys suggest that incidence is level or maybe dropping slightly -

• Options

I've been reading today, amongst other things, about further pleas (this time from senior Tory backbenchers and the head of the CBI) for office workers to start commuting again and rescue all the city centre businesses that exist to serve them.

I think you have to feel very sorry for the business owners and their employees, who stand to be ruined by the WFH revolution - something that they might not have expected to happen in anything like so dramatic a fashion as it has, if at all - and certainly aren't their fault. However, suggesting that we should put everything to rights simply by turning back time does rather seem to miss the point that time only operates in one direction.

It doesn't matter how many executives and ministers appear on TV to tell people that it is safe to go back to work and they need to do it for the sake of the economy - if you're enjoying the comfort and convenience of working from home, as well as the enormous benefits of getting rid of hyper-expensive season tickets and thousands of hours spent on smelly cattle truck trains, then why in the name of God would you go back to it for anything - let alone to help bail out the cafe down the road from an office of which you are thrilled to have seen the back?

Telling office workers in 2020 to go back to full-time mass commuting to save the city centres is a bit like telling motorists in 1920 to go back to using horse-drawn carriages to keep blacksmiths and drovers in a job. It's idiotic.

Well said.

For any employers, employees or businesses that go bust due to this that is a shame. But shit happens frankly.

Businesses need to be adapting and realise that commuting might not ever return like it was before - and frankly that could be a good thing.
  • Options
    No, this is one topic on which the stickbangers won't get their way. If employers and employees both decide that they can do without offices - or, at any rate, they only need to use them a couple of days a week - then tedious daily commuting rituals will cease.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm excited by the whole "he had a knife" justification for putting 7 bullets in his back.

What is the betting on the type of knife it was? Do we think machete or pen knife?
  • Options

No, this is one topic on which the stickbangers won't get their way. If employers and employees both decide that they can do without offices - or, at any rate, they only need to use them a couple of days a week - then tedious daily commuting rituals will cease.
    Absolutely agree, let us hope the Government does U-turn on their briefing
  • Options

Boll8cks

Its more likely that older people are anxious for the young to be able to get out and live their lives, seeing that Corona hardly affect them at all.

You don't need to be at the office every day to have a life, we can still go the pub, etc
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited August 2020

No he was chased after shooting someone.

Wrong.

Six minutes later footage shows Mr. Rittenhouse being chased by an unknown group of people into the parking lot of another dealership several blocks away. While Mr. Rittenhouse is being pursued by the group, an unknown gunman fires into the air, though it’s unclear why. The weapon’s muzzle flash appears in footage filmed at the scene. Mr. Rittenhouse turns toward the sound of gunfire as another pursuer lunges toward him from the same direction. Mr. Rittenhouse then fires four times, and appears to shoot the man in the head

Am I seeing the video of the same incident people are talking about here?

Some people see what they want to see.
    Alistair said:

I'm excited by the whole "he had a knife" justification for putting 7 bullets in his back.

It seems better than the "you don't have to be arrested if you don't want to be" justification for his actions.

• Options

Lets hope the Government don't u-turn considering that their current policy is the right one.

People who want a change doing briefings that they want a change or think there will be one doesn't make it so.
  • Options

Lets hope the Government don't u-turn considering that their current policy is the right one.

People who want a change doing briefings that they want a change or think there will be one doesn't make it so.
    Let's hope they U-turn on their briefing and they do not decide to make us go back to the office.

It will be odd for the Tories to go against their paymasters, let's see how they do
  • Options

No he was chased after shooting someone. People tend to try to take down shooters - and those people are typically called heroes for doing so.
    The footage I showed was of the first shooting. Read the timeline on the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/us/kyle-rittenhouse-kenosha-shooting-video.html
  • Options

No-one in the trenches got furloughed, I guess?
  • Options

Some of them probably resent the fact that today's workers don't have to put up with the same shit that they did their whole working lives.

In any event, the opposition is somewhat ironic given that mass working from home was implemented in the first place to suppress Covid-19 - which is, as well all appreciate, primarily a killer of old people. Indeed, I continue to harbour the suspicion that WFH is a significant contributory factor towards our not seeing cases rising in the same fashion as they are in France.
  • Options

Boll8cks

You don't need to be at the office every day to have a life, we can still go the pub, etc
    Young people have always been attracted to big, fast, lively, sociable, cities. Places they can meet each other, socialise, make friends and develop relationships. Right now they cannot do the stuff I took for granted in my 20s.

They should be able to. Everybody knows that granny needs to be avoided.
  • Options

Let's hope they U-turn on their briefing and they do not decide to make us go back to the office.

It will be odd for the Tories to go against their paymasters, let's see how they do
    Please show a link to an official press release or briefing saying they will make people go back to the office.

It would be madness for them to do so but I've not seen any briefings saying that. None at all. If there has been one then please link to it as I'd like to see that.
  • Options

Some people see what they want to see.

It's genuinely scary that people will believe the opposite of reality if they don't like the politics of someone.

• Options

Weren't they the "White Lives Matter" on a light aircraft club?

Or was that Burnley?
  • Options

The point is, it really doesn't matter what the Government says about this topic. If businesses and their workers would both rather not bother with full-time commuting then the Government can do nothing about it - or, at any rate, not anything practical. I don't see them calling out the police and the army to frogmarch office workers to railway stations at gunpoint, or incentivizing commuting by paying people to get on trains.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

It certainly looks like even if most do return to their offices in 2021 it will only be for 3 days a week with 2 days WFH or 2 weeks in the office 2 weeks out to maintain social distancing unless a vaccine is found.

That will also save commuting costs and office costs for businesses.

However it will hit city cafes etc
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

But what do all the Tory donor landlords and developers do if we don’t need offices? Get the kids back to school quick before this WFH becomes the norm.
  • Options
    Bypass paywalls extension from Github on Firefox is working well so far, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

As they probably already know who did it, I suppose an "investigation" would be a waste of time.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1298984877153345536?s=20

As President Vladimir Vladimirovitch has sovereign immunity anyway.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    kinabalu said:

Weren't they the "White Lives Matter" on a light aircraft club?

Or was that Burnley?
    The perpetrators of that totally disowned by the club and banned for life.
  • Options

The point is, it really doesn't matter what the Government says about this topic. If businesses and their workers would both rather not bother with full-time commuting then the Government can do nothing about it - or, at any rate, not anything practical. I don't see them calling out the police and the army to frogmarch office workers to railway stations at gunpoint, or incentivizing commuting by paying people to get on trains.
    Here's an idea.

The train companies could incentivize commuters by providing a transport service that wasn't sh!te
  • Options
    Alistair said:

What is the betting on the type of knife it was? Do we think machete or pen knife?

I watched that video for my sins. It was utterly sickening and indefensible. 7 bullets in the back at point blank range.
  • Options

The north of England lies north of the Tees. South of that lies Yorkshire, an independent land. Then you get to the Midlands.

Amazing that we are still having this argument when it was all sorted out 1100 years ago. Take East Anglia out of the Danelaw and the rest is the North.
  • Options

Boll8cks

Young people have always been attracted to big, fast, lively, sociable, cities. Places they can meet each other, socialise, make friends and develop relationships. Right now they cannot do the stuff I took for granted in my 20s.

They we/can't do a lot of that anyway, since clubs and things are closed.

Best thing we have is the pub, WFH doesn't change that, I was at the pub last weekend!
  • Options

Boll8cks

I don't think anyone is stopping them any more. The point is that younger workers are (on average) much happier with the current arrangements. The only age group where there's majority support for encouraging a return to the office is those who are of retirement age.

Now there are lots of ways of reading that, starting with a kind of false consciousness amongst the young. But it's quite possible that they prefer not commuting for work because that leaves more time for fun.
This discussion has been closed.