Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,018

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1293657104813883396

I wonder how this is going to go down

Not boosting them will probably be unpopular.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Can somebody explain how Johnson will be running on a hard Brexit ticket in 2024. Aren't we ending the transition period this December, is HYUFD implying we're going to delay ending it? Can't see that going down too well with Tory voters

He will be running on a ticket of staying out of the single market and customs union and controlling our own borders by retaining the new points system not returning to free movement and doing our own trade deals
    Labour may very well be running on the same ticket. That wont be “hard Brexit” that will be “status quo”.
    If Starmer ruled out returning to the single market and customs union he would lose Remainers back to the LDs
    You’re delusional.

If Brexit is going fine, there will be no clamour for the Single Market, even amongst so called “Remainers”. If Brexit is not going fine, then a “status quo” position will have little electoral value to the Conservatives.

You’re looking at the next election through the eyes of 2019. That is in my opinion misguided.
    Yeah I'm going to call bs on HYUFD's claims too.

If in 2024 Brexit has worked under Johnson's plans, it won't even be up for debate unless Starmer is a moron.

If we're still debating Brexit in 2024 something has gone badly wrong, or it will be a repeat of 2024 when other issues come into focus and the Tories suffer for it.

Great 2019 electoral strategy, it is likely to be dreadful in 2024. I am not surprised though, the Tory plan was get elected, Brexit, then they gave up.
    I expect 2024 will be "Got Brexit Done."

EDIT: In fact Rishi's first budget had him repeat phrasing along the lines of "getting things done," "gets things done," etc.
    Do you think the Tories will get re-elected on that alone? Surely not.

I think we underestimate how quickly things can change in a five year period. We weren't talking about the EU much even 5 years ago.
    No, I think they might win though based on:
    Got Brexit Done
    Gets Things Done
    Boris+Rishi beat Starmer+Dodds (I mean Dodds, come on)
    Labour - the party - still unelectable in the eyes of the electorate
    Borises starting point being a really good majority.

and finally

Someone born in January 1st 1974 will have had 4 times in their life where the party of opposition became the party of government, two of those times by the time they were 6 years old. Right now, this moment, I've decided that it's the mark of a mature democracy that a party of government remains a party of government until they collapse. So in 2010, when everyone was talking about short periods of coalition government and then opposition being the norm, here we are ten years later. And the SNP still in government since 2007, ready to be in government after next year's elections too.

We talked about the EU a lot five years ago, the referendum was Cameron's scheme to put an end to it. He was really bad, wasn't he?
  • Options

Gavin Williamson looks like a manchild

Most things in life and politics are more complex and nuanced than they appear and we must refrain from rushing to judgement.

But occasionally, things are exactly as they appear.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited August 2020
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

While Johnson's shower try and distract us with dinghies in the Narrow Sea, here's a tale from self isolation:

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1293523662663024641

So he ignored 2 calls and a text message and then called the police because an officer visited him.

And this was just after he had travelled back from a country that was subsequently put on the quarantine list.

Um.... ok....
    Without even looking, I am gonna guess this guy is a Remainer (I honestly have not checked)

Let's see....

Ah.

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1287073687787778048?s=20
    There's even a self-isolation hotline he could have called.
    You can tell Remainers even when they are talking about something entirely different (like this). Their comments/tweets always have this petulant, whiney, narcissistic, personally entitled and recently affronted quality.

They probably sound like this when they are discussing breakfast. Ghastly wankers.

It occurs to me these Remainers are the modern equivalent of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells". Whatever subject has alerted them, their mental response is comically predictable in tone and attitude.
    I can tell Leavers simply on sight much of the time. They tend to be overweight and rather primitive looking. I reckon I can get 70% just on that basis. Then if I have a quick chat - listen carefully for a certain lack of intellect and/or this very particular softhead sentimentality a la Tony Parsons - that 70% goes to 90%. So pretty good, but it still means that 1 in 10 slip through the net.
    LadyG didn't mention anything to do with immutable characteristics like looks. You did.
    Yes, another characteristic of Remainers is their easy, unselfaware recourse to pejorative visual stereotyping mixed with quasi-racist sneering (at white people)

"Oh look at those fat white people God they must be Leave-voters"

We can thus conclude that Kinabalu parks his Prius at Remoaner Central
    "Gammon" is undoubtedly a racial slur.
    It's pretty fucking blatant, as well. It actively refers to pink skin colour. The same way "sooty" or "darkie" or the various versions of the N word refer to blackness.

In a few years "gammon" will be seen in this light and everyone who uses it now will have to do struggle sessions of apology, etc etc. And so the world wearyingly continues.
    White people are often the ones using it though, which makes it hard to nail it as racist. Although black people do use the N-word in a derogatory way, for instance Paul Eliott MBE CBE, formerly of Kick it Out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Elliott_(footballer)#Post-playing_career

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/former-football-anti-racism-champion-paul-elliott-sued-after-n-word-text-8736194.html

The excuses for it not being racist or offensive are the mirror image of pretending to think its alright to say "Paki" because Australians get called "Aussies" - I quite like it, shows the PC/woke mob have no moral high ground

• Options
    kle4 said:

Gavin Williamson looks like a manchild

Most things in life and politics are more complex and nuanced than they appear and we must refrain from rushing to judgement.

But occasionally, things are exactly as they appear.
    I didn't initially judge him for it but he's proven himself over time to be exactly that. Especially with that whole tarantula on his desk thing, that was just weird
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,384
    Harris doing very well. She's a great speaker.
  • Options

Where has this idea Biden can't string a sentence together come from?

He's actually pretty good, he's not Obama but he's not bad. I thought he'd be terrible, he might even do a decent job in the debates

He was referred to as 'gaffe prone Joe Biden' in a BBC report of all things a few months ago. Which even if he does indeed have gaffes is an odd way to describe him in a BBC article.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Can somebody explain how Johnson will be running on a hard Brexit ticket in 2024. Aren't we ending the transition period this December, is HYUFD implying we're going to delay ending it? Can't see that going down too well with Tory voters

He will be running on a ticket of staying out of the single market and customs union and controlling our own borders by retaining the new points system not returning to free movement and doing our own trade deals
    Labour may very well be running on the same ticket. That wont be “hard Brexit” that will be “status quo”.
    If Starmer ruled out returning to the single market and customs union he would lose Remainers back to the LDs
    You’re delusional.

If Brexit is going fine, there will be no clamour for the Single Market, even amongst so called “Remainers”. If Brexit is not going fine, then a “status quo” position will have little electoral value to the Conservatives.

You’re looking at the next election through the eyes of 2019. That is in my opinion misguided.

If in 2024 Brexit has worked under Johnson's plans, it won't even be up for debate unless Starmer is a moron.

If we're still debating Brexit in 2024 something has gone badly wrong, or it will be a repeat of 2024 when other issues come into focus and the Tories suffer for it.

Great 2019 electoral strategy, it is likely to be dreadful in 2024. I am not surprised though, the Tory plan was get elected, Brexit, then they gave up.

EDIT: In fact Rishi's first budget had him repeat phrasing along the lines of "getting things done," "gets things done," etc.

I think we underestimate how quickly things can change in a five year period. We weren't talking about the EU much even 5 years ago.
    Got Brexit Done
    Gets Things Done

and finally

Someone born in January 1st 1974 will have had 4 times in their life where the party of opposition became the party of government, two of those times by the time they were 6 years old. Right now, this moment, I've decided that it's the mark of a mature democracy that a party of government remains a party of government until they collapse. So in 2010, when everyone was talking about short periods of coalition government and then opposition being the norm, here we are ten years later. And the SNP still in government since 2007, ready to be in government after next year's elections too.

We talked about the EU a lot five years ago, the referendum was Cameron's scheme to put an end to it. He was really bad, wasn't he?
    I don't think Cameron won 2015 because of the referendum though did he? It was the collapse of the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Remain completely cocked it up as you are right to point out.

I do find it frustrating though that people that just want to talk about what's going wrong or how things could be done, get told about talking the country down.

I've accepted Brexit is/has happening/happened. But I don't see any issue with arguing about EEA.

If they had had any sense the day after the referendum Remain should have given up on all the opposition and refighting the referendum and started a campaign to join EFTA on the basis of honouring the result and reuniting a divided country. On the whole Remainers have shown no such sense. It's nuts as EFTA is probably where we should have been all along.
  • Options

He's actually pretty good, he's not Obama but he's not bad. I thought he'd be terrible, he might even do a decent job in the debates

He's doing fine tonight. Hammering Trump. Battle for a soul of the nation.
    The "Biden is a demented vegetable" theme is Putinist propaganda. As for debates, Uncle Joe has had his stumbles, but his track record as a debater is pretty good - just ask Judge (never Justice) Bork.
    Bork was recent was it?

Nobody can ask Bork, he died nearly a decade ago. When people are concerned that Biden may have age-related deterioration then harping on to something that happened a third of a century ago as proof that he hasn't isn't exactly reassuring.

I was five years old when Bork happened - and have now voted in 6 General Elections since I became an adult. This isn't a contemporary event you're banging on about.
  • Options
    Harris really hammering Trump over virus mess.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

alex_ said:

And yet, as has been pointed out earlier, the daily death update published on the main gov.uk Covid dashboard *this afternoon* was 77. When the death count arranged by date for England is now revealed to have been under 20 for pretty much an entire month, and we know that similar stats for the remainder of the country have ranged anywhere between zero and about 4 or 5.

They know they're publishing a total load of bollocks but they still keep on doing it.
    On the thread topic - I wonder how much the figures are reflective of the belief that Scotland has had zero deaths for weeks whilst England had been registering dozens, nearly hundreds...
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/coronavirus-scotland-new-figures-show-22509581
    And so, the mortality rate over the period in question in that article is approximately the same in England as it is in Scotland, i.e. one in a million. Quelle surprise.
    Actually, that having been established, we might next ask why it is that, according to the most recent available complete hospitalisation data (for August 10th, showing 1,001 remaining Covid patients) why it is that approximately 27% of all of those patients are in Scottish hospitals? The split as a whole is very strange: Wales and Scotland are both significantly over-represented relative to the total size of the UK population; England and Northern Ireland, the reverse. Why?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

While Johnson's shower try and distract us with dinghies in the Narrow Sea, here's a tale from self isolation:

So he ignored 2 calls and a text message and then called the police because an officer visited him.

And this was just after he had travelled back from a country that was subsequently put on the quarantine list.

Um.... ok....
    Without even looking, I am gonna guess this guy is a Remainer (I honestly have not checked)

Let's see....

Ah.

You can tell Remainers even when they are talking about something entirely different (like this). Their comments/tweets always have this petulant, whiney, narcissistic, personally entitled and recently affronted quality.

They probably sound like this when they are discussing breakfast. Ghastly wankers.

It occurs to me these Remainers are the modern equivalent of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells". Whatever subject has alerted them, their mental response is comically predictable in tone and attitude.

James O'Brien wannabes. "Everything is so tiresomely obvious, when will you guys finally get it?" They think everyone who voted or thinks differently to them has been conned by the politicians they disagree with
    They think that Leavers are a motley collection of racists, fantasists and mugs. And they are totally wrong. Some are none of those things.
    i voted remain myself as i thought on balance the EU gave more freedom to the individual than it took but the reason why Remain lost was the sneering of the liberal establishment of anyone who declared they would vote leave - the close vote would have been won without that sneering . A failure of the so called political elite due to them being out of touch so much they actually thought anyone wanting to leave the EU was somehow inferior.
    I'm simply expressing the non PC truth as I see it. Telling it as it is. It's patronizing to do otherwise. And as for all this "sneering", are you sure you saw lots of that during the campaign and are not just regurgitating the received wisdom of the right wing blog-sphere? I mean, I remember that rather ghastly Geldof Farage thing on the river but apart from that ...
    The Leave snowflakes are in one of their periodic victimy spasms tonight, gammonzizracist is the sure sign.
    Political correctness gone mad...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Oh, my sides are splitting. It's easy to get plaudits when boil everything down to its most simplistic possible elements, it's like saying you support freedom and happiness. Going so stupidly simply about it negates any attempt to moralise about the specifics of policy and operation, since the actual issues are not as broad as that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Where’s the full video Ms Butler?
    twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1293608926399864832?s=20

Since Dawn Butler's "full video" could not possibly show the police looking up the wrong registration number, what's your point?
    My point is she Tweeted that she’d “recorded everything” then only released 1 minute of an 8 minute recording. The Police should release their body cam footage so we get the whole picture.
    The police case is they stopped the car after the registration lookup error. If they claimed the car was careering all over the road, or had a funky smell from the window, there might be value but they are not claiming that.

A full video might show the police as unfailingly polite and apologetic or that Butler and her mate were abusive or uncooperative but even if all that were true, it would not address the reason of why the car was stopped in the first place. That is the crucial question and the rest is just a smokescreen.
    It was a BMW. It will be as simple as that; not that the police can admit to that.
    With blacked-out windows, as the police have already said.
    If the tinted/blacked out windows broke the law then the rozzers would have issued a prohibition notice? Did they? If not why not? Oh because they were legal.

I only ask as someone who drives a vehicle with tinted windows.
    They were not stopped because of the tinted windows - as you know - but the tinted windows meant they couldn’t see the occupants to “racially profile” them, as Ms Butler claims in her edited video.
    Rear windows.
    Neither illegal, nor obscuring the occupants.
    If the police car was behind them it would.
    FFS, that is not a reason for pulling someone over.
    Wasn't the reason they pulled them over that a policeman entered the number plate incorrectly into the computer?
    Sure.
    Happens all the time.
    Are we really at the stage now where the Police are guilty until proven innocent?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/12/senior-met-officer-defends-police-who-stopped-dawn-butler
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

Monkeys said:

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional.

Got Brexit Done
    Gets Things Done

and finally

I don't think Cameron won 2015 because of the referendum though did he? It was the collapse of the Lib Dems.
    That bit is just about us not talking about the EU much 5 years ago and a lot can change. I couldn't resist a dig at him. I'm not saying that the referendum caused the election win.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,005
    Sandpit said:

Education Secretary, writing in the Telegraph:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/12/system-determining-a-level-results-england-robust-fair/

"If students want to use a valid mock result they would use the appeals process and would need to tell their school or college who will then provide the necessary evidence to their exam board. Schools and colleges will also be able to appeal if they believe their historic data does not reflect the ability of their current students – that may be because they have experienced a recent change in leadership or because they have one or a number of exceptional students.

"All three grades will hold exactly the same value with universities, colleges and employers, and similar arrangements if necessary will apply to vocational and technical qualifications. In the event that any students do want to appeal their grades, we have asked universities to hold places open for them until September 7 and I know that exam boards will do everything they can to conclude appeals in good time."

See. Here was an opportunity to think outside the box.
    There were no exams this year. Everyone knows this. So why hand out grades? And certificates? Why pretend there were exams?
    Why not simply use teacher assessment to assign University places?
    And schools decide anyway which GCSE pupils to accept into Sixth Form. Colleges could do the same.
    And for employers?
    Well why don't they do the same? If they need to know, well they could use...teacher assessment.
    Assessment is the only way to compensate for the self evident fact that there were no exams.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....
    He had no choice but to ignore the calls as there was no return contact details.
    So the substance of his complaint is that a call centre bloke didn’t leave a call back number. Which they never do.

And then he gets upset on the use of “Team” vs “Service”.

He could have just tried picking up his phone or replying to the text message
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Monkeys said:

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional.

Got Brexit Done
    Gets Things Done

and finally

That bit is just about us not talking about the EU much 5 years ago and a lot can change. I couldn't resist a dig at him. I'm not saying that the referendum caused the election win.
    Ah I see, apparently I have difficulty reading.

I don't think we were talking about it much though, I certainly don't recall it being the number one issue. It was all the economy.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

I can tell Leavers simply on sight much of the time. They tend to be overweight and rather primitive looking. I reckon I can get 70% just on that basis. Then if I have a quick chat - listen carefully for a certain lack of intellect and/or this very particular softhead sentimentality a la Tony Parsons - that 70% goes to 90%. So pretty good, but it still means that 1 in 10 slip through the net.
    LadyG didn't mention anything to do with immutable characteristics like looks. You did.
    Yes, another characteristic of Remainers is their easy, unselfaware recourse to pejorative visual stereotyping mixed with quasi-racist sneering (at white people)

Battered old merc actually.

And I'm not stereotyping. There really is this primitive, slack-mouthed look that many Leavers have. And they are (on the whole) lacking in intelligence and education. And they are very often racist and xenophobic and pig ignorant. And they are prone to this certain type of sloppy sentimentality. With your talent you could describe it much better than me. But it's Tony Parsons. He's the epitome of this particular attribute.

So I'm being completely serious. Put 200 people in a room, 100 of which are ardent Leavers. Give me a quick look at each of them and a 2 minute chat about something very banal and unpolitical - e.g. the weather - and I would get 90 of them.

I'd back myself to do that. Do you not believe me? Do you think I am utterly deluded? Or do you think I'm simply being borderline offensive and unfairly denigrating millions of my fellow citizens?
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional.

Got Brexit Done
    Gets Things Done

and finally

Cameron got his wish, just in a way Aesop warned about.
  • Options

Since Dawn Butler's "full video" could not possibly show the police looking up the wrong registration number, what's your point?
    My point is she Tweeted that she’d “recorded everything” then only released 1 minute of an 8 minute recording. The Police should release their body cam footage so we get the whole picture.
    The police case is they stopped the car after the registration lookup error. If they claimed the car was careering all over the road, or had a funky smell from the window, there might be value but they are not claiming that.

A full video might show the police as unfailingly polite and apologetic or that Butler and her mate were abusive or uncooperative but even if all that were true, it would not address the reason of why the car was stopped in the first place. That is the crucial question and the rest is just a smokescreen.
    How much clearer can the police be?

They made a mistake on entering the number plate. It flagged the car as suspicious (they are not saying why, just out of area). So they stopped it, quickly realised it was a mistake and apologised.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited August 2020
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/12/system-determining-a-level-results-england-robust-fair/

"If students want to use a valid mock result they would use the appeals process and would need to tell their school or college who will then provide the necessary evidence to their exam board. Schools and colleges will also be able to appeal if they believe their historic data does not reflect the ability of their current students – that may be because they have experienced a recent change in leadership or because they have one or a number of exceptional students.

"All three grades will hold exactly the same value with universities, colleges and employers, and similar arrangements if necessary will apply to vocational and technical qualifications. In the event that any students do want to appeal their grades, we have asked universities to hold places open for them until September 7 and I know that exam boards will do everything they can to conclude appeals in good time."

There were no exams this year. Everyone knows this. So why hand out grades? And certificates? Why pretend there were exams?
    And schools decide anyway which GCSE pupils to accept into Sixth Form. Colleges could do the same.
    And for employers?
    Well why don't they do the same? If they need to know, well they could use...teacher assessment.
    Assessment is the only way to compensate for the self evident fact that there were no exams.
    Because, having decided that teacher assessment was the way to go, they made no effing effort whatsover to assert quality control over the assessments that teachers put forward. They just decided that their magic formula/algorithm would do the lot for them. Some schools will have taken the process extremely seriously. ydoether has expounded upon the experience at his own school. Others will have quietly encouraged teachers to take an "optimistic" stance, not least with one eye on heading off potential lawsuits. Some might have just let teachers do what they damn well wanted, pick favourites, mark down "disruptive" pupils or those who followed their own path.

But all this could have been done. They've had 4 months doing pretty much nothing else!!!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

And I'm not stereotyping. There really is this primitive, slack-mouthed look that many Leavers have. And they are (on the whole) lacking in intelligence and education. And they are very often racist and xenophobic and pig ignorant. And they are prone to this certain type of sloppy sentimentality. With your talent you could describe it much better than me. But it's Tony Parsons. He's the epitome of this particular attribute.

So I'm being completely serious. Put 200 people in a room, 100 of which are ardent Leavers. Give me a quick look at each of them and a 2 minute chat about something very banal and unpolitical - e.g. the weather - and I would get 90 of them.

I'd back myself to do that. Do you not believe me? Do you think I am utterly deluded? Or do you think I'm simply being borderline offensive and unfairly denigrating millions of my fellow citizens?
    No I don't believe you, yes I think you are utterly deluded, yes I think you're simply being offensive (nothing borderline) and unfairly denigrating millions of your fellow citizens.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    NEW THREAD.
  • Options
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

It was a BMW. It will be as simple as that; not that the police can admit to that.
    If the tinted/blacked out windows broke the law then the rozzers would have issued a prohibition notice? Did they? If not why not? Oh because they were legal.

They were not stopped because of the tinted windows - as you know - but the tinted windows meant they couldn’t see the occupants to “racially profile” them, as Ms Butler claims in her edited video.
    Rear windows.
    Wasn't the reason they pulled them over that a policeman entered the number plate incorrectly into the computer?
    Sure.
    Happens all the time.
    Are we really at the stage now where the Police are guilty until proven innocent?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/12/senior-met-officer-defends-police-who-stopped-dawn-butler
    We're at the stage where the police are seeking to justify their actions in this particular case.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    kle4 said:

He was referred to as 'gaffe prone Joe Biden' in a BBC report of all things a few months ago. Which even if he does indeed have gaffes is an odd way to describe him in a BBC article.
    The BBC’s US political reporting has been abysmal for a long time time.
    Far below their standards otherwise.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

Former foreign policy adviser to Robin Cook...
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited August 2020
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

Well by that reckoning you would also be able to spot remainers (ie being having none of the characteristics you put to leavers). I am not sure it is rocket science given we know age demographics influenced the vote . Most people can tell old people from young people for instance.

However the really stupid thing is that if you really believe that leavers are thick and bigoted to that extent then you need to look at yourself an ask if they are that thick how come they won ,how come they outwitted you to win that vote?

i agree it would make a good TV show although I think it would show up yourself rather more than any leavers in it
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

I think you are morally grotesque, and your ardent belief in your leftwing piety has blinded you to this obvious fact.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

I think you are morally grotesque, and your ardent belief in your leftwing piety has blinded you to this obvious fact.
    Winder up wound up ?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

And for employers?
    Two problems:

1. Employers expect to see GCSE and A level grades. If, in 20 years' time, veterans of the class of 2020 apply for jobs, they can't demonstrate the requirement that the employer demands (e.g. X-number of good GCSEs, a C or better in Maths, such and such an attainment at A-level) then they are liable, I'm afraid, to be discriminated against. No grades at all, just a moth-eaten bit of paper from teacher saying that they were quite good really, ain't going to wash.

2. If you then attempt to get around that problem by asking the teachers to assign the grades - without any form of statistical modification - then you risk massive grade inflation. If that weren't true then the relevant authorities wouldn't be fiddling such a large percentage of the predicted grades in the first place, and there would be much less hyperventilating about this year's results as a consequence. That, of course, also feeds back into a lack of confidence in relying on teacher assessments - if someone presents the aforementioned moth-eaten bit of paper from teacher as evidence of ability, the employer who reads it is liable to conclude that there is too much of a risk that the teacher's assessment of their former pupil's achievements was exaggerated.

I'm afraid that there's ultimately no way around the central determination and awarding of exam grades, and the distribution of those grades is bound to be unfair to a lot of students because of the circumstances in which they've been calculated and the crude assumptions that have had to be made (and I'm not saying that as a defence of the exact method that the authorities have adopted, which for all I know may be markedly inferior to other available alternatives, I'm just making a general point of principle.)

The only choices that wronged students have, regrettably, are to appeal or, if that route is either made unavailable or they are unsuccessful, to postpone their future plans in order actually to sit the exams and have themselves graded properly, or to lump it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,005
    alex_ said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

And for employers?
    Because, having decided that teacher assessment was the way to go, they made no effing effort whatsover to assert quality control over the assessments that teachers put forward. They just decided that their magic formula/algorithm would do the lot for them. Some schools will have taken the process extremely seriously. ydoether has expounded upon the experience at his own school. Others will have quietly encouraged teachers to take an "optimistic" stance, not least with one eye on heading off potential lawsuits. Some might have just let teachers do what they damn well wanted, pick favourites, mark down "disruptive" pupils or those who followed their own path.

But all this could have been done. They've had 4 months doing pretty much nothing else!!!
    Precisely.
    My first job was standardising and moderating at the JMB. There were hundreds of us.
    This reliance on magic (cheap) tech rather than experienced manpower is the same error as test and trace.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

"Gammon" is undoubtedly a racial slur.
    It's pretty fucking blatant, as well. It actively refers to pink skin colour. The same way "sooty" or "darkie" or the various versions of the N word refer to blackness.

In a few years "gammon" will be seen in this light and everyone who uses it now will have to do struggle sessions of apology, etc etc. And so the world wearyingly continues.
    White people are often the ones using it though, which makes it hard to nail it as racist. Although black people do use the N-word in a derogatory way, for instance Paul Eliott MBE CBE, formerly of Kick it Out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Elliott_(footballer)#Post-playing_career

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/former-football-anti-racism-champion-paul-elliott-sued-after-n-word-text-8736194.html

The excuses for it not being racist or offensive are the mirror image of pretending to think its alright to say "Paki" because Australians get called "Aussies" - I quite like it, shows the PC/woke mob have no moral high ground
    Gammon is a word for a thick white man who has seen better days and is racist and blood boilingly angry about lots of things. It's close to perfect in that it captures all of this in one word.

That said, if you or anybody else can come up with a better one I'd be happy to make the switch.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    Finally been able to log back on after days of failed attempts (was probably user error, this insane heat has addled my brain).

A few things I need to get off my chest:

1. It’s fine to spend £500 on a coffee machine if you are really into coffee. The PB Paleoconservatives and their hair shirts piss me off.

2. This weather is not normal, even for London. It’s the first time on record the weather has exceeded 34c for five days’ running. It’s much hotter here than in Somerset, Hampshire or some other outpost. 35c and 31c is a big difference.

3. Offices won’t go to a four times a month model as @Sandpit suggested. People need to see each other. @Casino_Royale is much closer to the mark. 2:3. About five days per fortnight in the office and the rest at home/flexible.

4. No strong views on the status of the word gammon.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,821
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Rear windows.
    Sure.
    Happens all the time.

So why do you think the police decided to check the plate via the police computer in the first place?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

Superb polling insight

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1293581159658659845?s=20

Temperature yesterday in Glasgow: overcast, 23C

Temperature yesterday in London: burning sun, 35C

You have to remember, a lot of Scots suffer in the sun, so their idea of what is just right is different. I love the chilly morning haar [fog and mist off the North Sea].
    When I lived in Berwick the haar would roll in over the golf course and sometimes stay for days or even weeks. It was not pleasant
    Much rather that than this filthy stinking heat. You can't escape it and can't do anything in it but suffer and long for it to be over.

Scotland definitely gets the best end of the weather deal in Britain, even the really rainy bits out West.
    I’m currently on the deck, under an umbrella, enjoying a gentle ocean breeze
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

alex_ said:

And yet, as has been pointed out earlier, the daily death update published on the main gov.uk Covid dashboard *this afternoon* was 77. When the death count arranged by date for England is now revealed to have been under 20 for pretty much an entire month, and we know that similar stats for the remainder of the country have ranged anywhere between zero and about 4 or 5.

They know they're publishing a total load of bollocks but they still keep on doing it.
    On the thread topic - I wonder how much the figures are reflective of the belief that Scotland has had zero deaths for weeks whilst England had been registering dozens, nearly hundreds...
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/coronavirus-scotland-new-figures-show-22509581
    And so, the mortality rate over the period in question in that article is approximately the same in England as it is in Scotland, i.e. one in a million. Quelle surprise.
    maybe if you count an odd day, numbers show very clearly the death rate from covid has been significantly lower in Scotland , especially after they deviated from UK policy.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Um.... ok....

Let's see....

Ah.

Well by that reckoning you would also be able to spot remainers (ie being having none of the characteristics you put to leavers). I am not sure it is rocket science given we know age demographics influenced the vote . Most people can tell old people from young people for instance.

However the really stupid thing is that if you really believe that leavers are thick and bigoted to that extent then you need to look at yourself an ask if they are that thick how come they won ,how come they outwitted you to win that vote?

i agree it would make a good TV show although I think it would show up yourself rather more than any leavers in it
    lol - yes I can see this one on CH4. Compere Cathy Newman. Total sneerfest.

And that's a good point about age and about R = 200 - L.

But look, here's what is closer to what I really think -

There are no Remainers and Leavers. All of us have some Remain in us and some Leave. The vote of each person was decided by the result of that internal battle. And the overall outcome was the result of that same battle at aggregate level - between 2 sides of our national character. For me, it was our less good side - our grubbier angels - that won out. And easily btw. The true mood of the country was far more Leave than 52/48 implies. Many people voted Remain even though their Leave side was a bit bigger - due to risk aversion.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

Superb polling insight

You have to remember, a lot of Scots suffer in the sun, so their idea of what is just right is different. I love the chilly morning haar [fog and mist off the North Sea].
    When I lived in Berwick the haar would roll in over the golf course and sometimes stay for days or even weeks. It was not pleasant
    Much rather that than this filthy stinking heat. You can't escape it and can't do anything in it but suffer and long for it to be over.

Scotland definitely gets the best end of the weather deal in Britain, even the really rainy bits out West.
    I agree with you on almost everything Black Rook - but we differ on this. More hot weather please!
    Oh good God no, roll on September please. Really, if you want to swelter all the time then move to Andalucia, or perhaps Togo. 30+ during the day and 20 in the middle of the night is too bloody much.

Ideally it would be nice if it were pleasantly warm during the day and cool at night (and Spring was marvellous,) but offered the choice between the current sweat fest and a dreich November day in Fife, I'd take the latter. Every time.
    You’re describing SoCal’s climate 😊
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

Superb polling insight

I’m currently on the deck, under an umbrella, enjoying a gentle ocean breeze
    You have a house in Scotland as well as the other dozen or so.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    All neighbourhoods in England with over 10 cases of COVID confirmed in w/c 2/8 (59 neighbourhoods in total):

Ashton-u-Lyne - 2 neighbourhoods in West of town
    Blackburn - 5 neighbourhoods in centre and north of town
    Bradford - 11 city and suburban neighbourhoods
    Cleckheaton (&Scholes)
    Dewsbury - Savile Town & Thornhill
    Halifax - 3 adjacent areas in Pellon
    Ilford - Goodmayes South
    Leeds - Lady Wood
    Leicester - 6 adjacent neighbourhoods east of the city
    Liverpool - Toxteth
    Manchester - 6 scattered neighbourhoods, 4 in N. Manchester plus Moss Side W and Burnage N
    Middlesbrough - Kader and Linthorpe W
    Nelson - All 3 neighbourhoods comprising the town
    Newark-on-Trent - North (33 cases in the town last week)
    Oldham - 7 contiguous neighbourhoods
    Peterborough Central
    Rochdale - Wardleworth and Deeplish neighbourhoods
    Swindon - 3 neighbourhoods in centre
    Wellingborough - Victoria
    West Bromwich - North (only listing in W.Mids)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Two problems:

1. Employers expect to see GCSE and A level grades. If, in 20 years' time, veterans of the class of 2020 apply for jobs, they can't demonstrate the requirement that the employer demands (e.g. X-number of good GCSEs, a C or better in Maths, such and such an attainment at A-level) then they are liable, I'm afraid, to be discriminated against.

You did not seriously say that, did you?

What employer, when they have 20 years employment history to peruse, gives a flying f**k about what a person's A level results were?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    Sandpit said:

An old but good video, to a US law school. Never talk to the police.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

I have had many brushes with the law and can confirm this. You have absolutely zero to gain by engaging with them. Tell them to fuck off and you'll see them in court if they think they can prove anything. Most of them are so stupid and lazy they'll just move on to somebody else.
This discussion has been closed.