Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden (77yo) just beating Trump (74yo) as having the mental an

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

The polls seem to have plateaued

Yes so LAB will lose like 2010 2015 2017 2019 😀😀😀😀😀😀👍👍
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    EPG said:

Latest state polls in USA: Florida tie, Texas Trump +4, Arizona Trump +4, if this continues in a state like Pennsylvania, the status is a slight decline for Trump but not enough to topple him.

Biden is +6 in Penn on last poll (1st July)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

Pulpstar said:

Everone enjoying super Saturday ?🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Am drunk as a lord, high as a kite and horny as a royal duke!
    I recently came across the Spitting Image spoof of Andrew - ‘I’m just a prince who can’t say no.’

I have not posted it here because in light of recent revelations it is genuinely creepy. I think it was far closer to the knuckle than they realised.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590

RobD said:

PBers may think that flagging post as off-topic is a complement, for example in midst of learned debates re: alternative voting and the off-sides rule (the latter an especial American favorite).

There should really be an on-topic button.
    What PB needs is a 'That's the stupidest thing I've ever read, you deserve to be force fed Hawaiian pizzas for the rest of your life' button.
    Am appalled by your brazen anti-Polynesian prejudice.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

RobD said:

PBers may think that flagging post as off-topic is a complement, for example in midst of learned debates re: alternative voting and the off-sides rule (the latter an especial American favorite).

Isn't that called the Like button?
    No the like button is used by the PB Tory clique to continue their love in, post anything against the hive mind and you get off topic or spam
    Damn it, all those likes I've given to comments that amused or interested me gone to waste, apparently it was in service of a darker goal the entire time without me even knowing it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

In all seriousness I am surprised with all the attacks on Boris and the natural fear of people not wanting to put themselves at risk that crossover has not happened yet

To be fair releasing lockdown was always going to a big moment and as big a political decision

I am glad I did not have to make it
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

No the like button is used by the PB Tory clique to continue their love in, post anything against the hive mind and you get off topic or spam
    Damn it, all those likes I've given to comments that amused or interested me gone to waste, apparently it was in service of a darker goal the entire time without me even knowing it.
    You're the rare exception.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No change here. Take away fish and chips (delivered). I'm not going anywhere near a pub yet.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/IWTheDarkPrince/status/1279495335409311744

LD + Lab + SNP + SDLP + Greens would just be enough to lockout the Tories - prediction is based on one I saw above. Most likely Tories would carry on.

Uh-uh. Electoral Calculus' own estimate of the upcoming boundary changes (not yet added as an option to to their calculator) adds 6 seats to the Tory total from other parties.

Hence 321+6 = 327. Official majority of 4, working majority of 11 once Sinn Fein's 7 abstentionist MPs are accounted for.

Bribe the DUP again and it's 27 :wink:
    Glad to see the boundary commission are doing their job. :)
    Normal for Conservatives to gain in boudary changes due to suburban- & exurban-ization. Isn't +6 small compared to previous changes? If so, is this result of suburban voters becoming LESS likely to vote Tory on on hand, and rural & rust-belt voters trending the other way? Same as in US?
    I'm assuming that it's the product of population growth in urban cores and the substantial Tory advances in the Red Wall constituencies, rendering boundary changes much less advantageous to the Conservatives than they would've been previously.
    Although many of the places which have been trending Conservative have tended to be the ones increasing in population and affluence.

It is perhaps especially complicated this time and certainly no 'one size fits all' template.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

A reminder to everyone.

Repeatedly misusing the off topic/spam buttons is likely to see the ban hammer deployed.

Every time someone flags a post as spam or off topic it sends an email to Robert and OGH, and it really pisses them off when it is being misused.

Sometimes I catch off topic due to my arthritic fingers and if I have done anything wrong I am sorry.
    TSE/OGH/RCS or anyone else affected - I know more than a few times I've caught it while trying to press Quote button.

I don't know if its possible to hide the Off Topic behind the Flag button so it isn't caught by accident?
  • Options
    So has anyone been to a pub or restaurant or hairdresser today ?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    Almost every recent poll has had the Labour share up by the same amount as the drop in the LD share, compared to the general election. Tonight's poll is no exception.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

RobD said:

What PB needs is a 'That's the stupidest thing I've ever read, you deserve to be force fed Hawaiian pizzas for the rest of your life' button.
    You know a lot of the Texas polls are showing Biden winning...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

A reminder to everyone.

Repeatedly misusing the off topic/spam buttons is likely to see the ban hammer deployed.

Every time someone flags a post as spam or off topic it sends an email to Robert and OGH, and it really pisses them off when it is being misused.

They are badges of honour...
  • Options
    re buttons, all I can say is that re: off topic PBers have been VERY kind to me.

Never hit-off topic except one I think by accident looking for quote. Tap like sporadically, usually when a post makes me laugh out loud, though often forget.

Howe meaningful are these button anyway. Does Mgmt get any benefit? Or are they just a way to quantify / monetize / justify on somebody's spreadsheet?
  • Options

nope
  • Options

Highpoint of my day was buying scones at window of local bakery. Went out of my way to wish the one Brit who works there Happy Independence Day!

Couldn't make out his reply, but it was certainly robust!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    edited July 2020

I visited a pub garden. Didn't go inside, you ordered outside.
  • Options
    Why don't we just have like and dislike buttons?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

EPG said:

Latest state polls in USA: Florida tie, Texas Trump +4, Arizona Trump +4, if this continues in a state like Pennsylvania, the status is a slight decline for Trump but not enough to topple him.

Good news, but it needs to stay +6.
  • Options

RobD said:

LD + Lab + SNP + SDLP + Greens would just be enough to lockout the Tories - prediction is based on one I saw above. Most likely Tories would carry on.

Uh-uh. Electoral Calculus' own estimate of the upcoming boundary changes (not yet added as an option to to their calculator) adds 6 seats to the Tory total from other parties.

Hence 321+6 = 327. Official majority of 4, working majority of 11 once Sinn Fein's 7 abstentionist MPs are accounted for.

Normal for Conservatives to gain in boudary changes due to suburban- & exurban-ization. Isn't +6 small compared to previous changes? If so, is this result of suburban voters becoming LESS likely to vote Tory on on hand, and rural & rust-belt voters trending the other way? Same as in US?
    I'm assuming that it's the product of population growth in urban cores and the substantial Tory advances in the Red Wall constituencies, rendering boundary changes much less advantageous to the Conservatives than they would've been previously.
    Although many of the places which have been trending Conservative have tended to be the ones increasing in population and affluence.

It is perhaps especially complicated this time and certainly no 'one size fits all' template.
    True. But does seem to mean that the long-term trend of demographic change resulting in significant Conservative seat gains when redistrubution finally rolls around, is no longer operative. For reasons discussed this & other posts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Ave_it said:

Why don't we just have like and dislike buttons?

Ask vanilla. It was fine when there was no like button either.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Farage went to the pub, Starmer went to the hairdresser
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

The Trainspotter's Arms was absolutely ram-packed!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

RobD said:

Yes. The previous rule pre boundary review was Tory seat=big electorate. Labour seat=small electorate. That doesn't seem to be universal at all this time. Even in London it is the inner boroughs which will gain at the expense of the Outer ones.
    There are enough electors for an entire new seat in Tower Hamlets/Newham area and another one in Lambeth/Southwark for example.
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Re PA & rest of US, am thinking that upcoming national conventions are going to be VERY important. Just like in 1992. And VERY different.

Republican convention will be like going to PT Barnum 3-ring circus and waiting for the tent to catch on fire.

Big draw for Democratic convention will be Biden's VP pick as well as Uncle Joe's acceptance speech.
  • Options
    isam said:

Davey went to the police. Twat
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    CNN: A global study has found strong evidence that a new form of the coronavirus has spread from Europe to the US. The new mutation makes the virus more likely to infect people but does not seem to make them any sicker than earlier variations of the virus, an international team of researchers reported Thursday.

"It is now the dominant form infecting people," Erica Ollmann Saphire of the La Jolla Institute for Immunology and the Coronavirus Immunotherapy Consortium, who worked on the study, told CNN. "This is now the virus."
  • Options
    Looking good for Trump in latest USA employment figures 😀
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Pulpstar said:

No change here. Take away fish and chips (delivered). I'm not going anywhere near a pub yet.
    Pub attendance most likely a product of (a) what proportion of the local population is very anxious (as distinct from merely concerned by, or disinterested in, the virus) and (b) local conditions.

On the one hand, the Rook household is concerned about the virus (we're not particularly old, but nonetheless we both take it seriously and one of us is asthmatic.) On the other, we think it likely that the local businesses will have done their work to bring in table service, space everybody apart and so on to keep risk to a minimum; and we also suspect that the prevalence of the virus in this locality is, in any event, very low. Indeed, data helpfully collated and published by @Malmesbury earlier today suggests that a grand total of four new cases have been confirmed by test in the last fortnight in the whole district (population: about 135,000.) Within that, our town is small-ish, low density, surrounded by countryside for at least ten miles in every direction and has experienced no significant outbreak of the illness at any point. Nobody I know first hand has had Covid confirmed by test or even suspects that they might have had it.

Thus, if you have been behaving pretty cautiously since lockdown began, there's hardly any disease left in circulation and the businesses have been doing their best to Covid proof themselves, then it might not be considered excessively blase to regard now as a good time to go out and live a little. Because, realistically, it's not going to get that much safer for us to do that until an effective vaccine or cure is developed, and that could take many years.

As it happens we're not big drinkers and decided not to avail ourselves of the facilities today, but we are planning to take the train up to our local city (Cambridge, where confirmed cases are also very low) to do some shopping next Saturday, and then go to our local hotel that evening for dinner. The trip to Cambridge will be the first time that either of us has left town since March.

Needless to say, if you or anyone else is more anxious, more vulnerable or in an area where the disease is in more general circulation then you/they might still need a bit more persuading to get out and about and do stuff.
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

Re PA & rest of US, am thinking that upcoming national conventions are going to be VERY important. Just like in 1992. And VERY different.

Republican convention will be like going to PT Barnum 3-ring circus and waiting for the tent to catch on fire.

Big draw for Democratic convention will be Biden's VP pick as well as Uncle Joe's acceptance speech.
    SeaShanty I know you are local to it. Is the fact that Biden is past it a factor?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,709
    The W.H.O. suspends two drug studies, including one on hydroxychloroquine, over possible safety issues.

The World Health Organization on Saturday formally suspended its evaluation of two high-profile drug candidates in clinical trials designed to identify treatments effective against the coronavirus.
    The W.H.O. formally adopted the recommendations of a steering committee and dropped the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine from its Solidarity trial, as well as the drug combination lopinavir/ritonavir, first developed as an antiviral against H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

Hydroxychloroquine was promoted by the Trump administration as a preventive and treatment for Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus. But neither hydroxychloroquine nor lopinavir/ritonavir has shown benefits in hospitalized Covid-19 patients. In clinical trials, both drugs have failed to reduce deaths among those with severe symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/world/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus-national&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storylines_menu#link-3cb9424a
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited July 2020

The W.H.O. suspends two drug studies, including one on hydroxychloroquine, over possible safety issues.

The World Health Organization on Saturday formally suspended its evaluation of two high-profile drug candidates in clinical trials designed to identify treatments effective against the coronavirus.
    The W.H.O. formally adopted the recommendations of a steering committee and dropped the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine from its Solidarity trial, as well as the drug combination lopinavir/ritonavir, first developed as an antiviral against H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

Hydroxychloroquine was promoted by the Trump administration as a preventive and treatment for Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus. But neither hydroxychloroquine nor lopinavir/ritonavir has shown benefits in hospitalized Covid-19 patients. In clinical trials, both drugs have failed to reduce deaths among those with severe symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/world/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus-national&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storylines_menu#link-3cb9424a

Hasn't the UK study shown hydroxychloroquine do be useless?
  • Options
    In movie "1776" the Continental Congress has just voted to postpone debate on Independence pending declaration stating arguments & grounds for separation. Committee appointed to draft same, including Dr. Franklin, John Adams and several others; but Virginian chosen unable to serve (he just got elected VA Governor) so place filled by - Thomas Jefferson.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

isam said:

Davey went to the police. Twat
    That's politics. Where sometimes what is wrong in private life in the right thing to do. And visa versa.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm pretty sure that the Recovery trial has reported no benefit both from HCQ and the HIV drugs.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pub attendance most likely a product of (a) what proportion of the local population is very anxious (as distinct from merely concerned by, or disinterested in, the virus) and (b) local conditions.

On the one hand, the Rook household is concerned about the virus (we're not particularly old, but nonetheless we both take it seriously and one of us is asthmatic.) On the other, we think it likely that the local businesses will have done their work to bring in table service, space everybody apart and so on to keep risk to a minimum; and we also suspect that the prevalence of the virus in this locality is, in any event, very low. Indeed, data helpfully collated and published by @Malmesbury earlier today suggests that a grand total of four new cases have been confirmed by test in the last fortnight in the whole district (population: about 135,000.) Within that, our town is small-ish, low density, surrounded by countryside for at least ten miles in every direction and has experienced no significant outbreak of the illness at any point. Nobody I know first hand has had Covid confirmed by test or even suspects that they might have had it.

Thus, if you have been behaving pretty cautiously since lockdown began, there's hardly any disease left in circulation and the businesses have been doing their best to Covid proof themselves, then it might not be considered excessively blase to regard now as a good time to go out and live a little. Because, realistically, it's not going to get that much safer for us to do that until an effective vaccine or cure is developed, and that could take many years.

As it happens we're not big drinkers and decided not to avail ourselves of the facilities today, but we are planning to take the train up to our local city (Cambridge, where confirmed cases are also very low) to do some shopping next Saturday, and then go to our local hotel that evening for dinner. The trip to Cambridge will be the first time that either of us has left town since March.

Needless to say, if you or anyone else is more anxious, more vulnerable or in an area where the disease is in more general circulation then you/they might still need a bit more persuading to get out and about and do stuff.
    The thing which concerns me is the possibility of having to self-isolate if some other person in a pub etc is infected.

Not so much for health reasons but rather it wouldn't look good for work purposes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

A reminder to everyone.

They are badges of honour...
    I've always assumed that someone has gone to press quote or like but got their aim wrong.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

In movie "1776" the Continental Congress has just voted to postpone debate on Independence pending declaration stating arguments & grounds for separation. Committee appointed to draft same, including Dr. Franklin, John Adams and several others; but Virginian chosen unable to serve (he just got elected VA Governor) so place filled by - Thomas Jefferson.

I prefer playing Assassins Creed 3 to learn about American Revolutionary history ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

A month ago:

https://www.recoverytrial.net/news/statement-from-the-chief-investigators-of-the-randomised-evaluation-of-covid-19-therapy-recovery-trial-on-hydroxychloroquine-5-june-2020-no-clinical-benefit-from-use-of-hydroxychloroquine-in-hospitalised-patients-with-covid-19
  • Options
    This doesn't seem right to me:

Rugby star Gareth Cooper's ex-wife has been ordered to pay back just £1 after swindling him out of £1m.

Ex-British and Irish Lions player Mr Cooper, 41, set up two gyms and freight businesses to be run by Debra Leyshon.

But Leyshon, 41, fraudulently obtained mortgages and loans in her husband's name while telling Mr Cooper the struggling business was "thriving".

She also re-mortgaged the family home and four other properties, and Mr Cooper was bankrupted by the con.

The former Wales international previously said his trust in others had been "destroyed".

Leyshon was given a two-year suspended sentence after pleading guilty to 13 counts of fraud - totalling more than £1m.

Her business partner Simon Thomas, 47, and associate Mark Lee also received suspended sentences after admitting fraud.

On Friday, a Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) hearing at Cardiff Crown Court was told Leyshon, from Bridgend, had benefitted to the tune of £371,271 and Thomas, from Cowbridge, £161,081.

But Judge David Wynn Morgan ordered both to pay back just a £1 nominal sum within the next 28 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53292781
  • Options
    Good luck, the majority of the FTTC network is Huawei.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The thing which concerns me is the possibility of having to self-isolate if some other person in a pub etc is infected.

Not so much for health reasons but rather it wouldn't look good for work purposes.
    Why? If the test and trace people tell you to go and self-isolate than you go and self-isolate. Notwithstanding the fact that it is unreasonable for your employer to expect you to live in an hermetically-sealed bubble for the rest of your natural life, you do not have to explain to them the circumstances surrounding your need to self-isolate, only that you have been advised to do so.

Certainly my employer has issued instructions that anybody who has been told to self-isolate is to stay the hell away and is liable to end up on a disciplinary if they don't. They've issued no instructions about what we are and are not allowed to get up to in our own time.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Yes. The previous rule pre boundary review was Tory seat=big electorate. Labour seat=small electorate. That doesn't seem to be universal at all this time. Even in London it is the inner boroughs which will gain at the expense of the Outer ones.
    There are enough electors for an entire new seat in Tower Hamlets/Newham area and another one in Lambeth/Southwark for example.
    Tory areas will be better at resisting house building than Labour areas.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

SeaShanty I know you are local to it. Is the fact that Biden is past it a factor?
    Only when he makes a gaffe, which he's bound to do occasionally cause that's just our Joe, been doing it since Neil Kinnock's day if you recall. Fact that he's also a geezer compounds the issue. But then Trumpsky ain't no spring chicken - and personally when forced to choose will take a malapropist over a sociopath any day.

Think real question will NOT be if Biden will bungle; we already know the answer. Real question, is, will he do it in an especially bad way or very inopportune moment - say a serous mis-statement in a debate (such as Gerald Ford's assertion that Poland was NOT under Soviet domination in 1976). OR standing on a (virtual of course) live stage and blanking out.

However, please note our Joe has a record of rising to the occasion and meeting the challenge. THIS is the biggest challenge of his life, and he will give it everything he's got in him - and then some.

Yes, the strain will be tremendous. But this is a man who won an amazing upset victory to become senator - only to have his wife and daughter die tragically and nearly break him (just like the same thing nearly broke Theodore Roosevelt). Who saw his first attempt for the presidency blow up thanks to his own folly, yet remained a powerful, effective US Senator. Who had another child, a son who was a rising star in politics, died young from illness.

You can judge Joe Biden anyway you like. But weak? Don't bet on it.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:

Why? If the test and trace people tell you to go and self-isolate than you go and self-isolate. Notwithstanding the fact that it is unreasonable for your employer to expect you to live in an hermetically-sealed bubble for the rest of your natural life, you do not have to explain to them the circumstances surrounding your need to self-isolate, only that you have been advised to do so.

Certainly my employer has issued instructions that anybody who has been told to self-isolate is to stay the hell away and is liable to end up on a disciplinary if they don't. They've issued no instructions about what we are and are not allowed to get up to in our own time.
    Nevertheless many employers will not be impressed if someone goes off for a fortnight because they've visited a pub.

And if it happens more than one once even less so.

There's also the aspect that I would feel bad about inconveniencing both the company and the people I work with.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

I prefer playing Assassins Creed 3 to learn about American Revolutionary history ;)
    You and MANY Americans!
  • Options

Ave_it said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Only when he makes a gaffe, which he's bound to do occasionally cause that's just our Joe, been doing it since Neil Kinnock's day if you recall. Fact that he's also a geezer compounds the issue. But then Trumpsky ain't no spring chicken - and personally when forced to choose will take a malapropist over a sociopath any day.

Think real question will NOT be if Biden will bungle; we already know the answer. Real question, is, will he do it in an especially bad way or very inopportune moment - say a serous mis-statement in a debate (such as Gerald Ford's assertion that Poland was NOT under Soviet domination in 1976). OR standing on a (virtual of course) live stage and blanking out.

However, please note our Joe has a record of rising to the occasion and meeting the challenge. THIS is the biggest challenge of his life, and he will give it everything he's got in him - and then some.

Yes, the strain will be tremendous. But this is a man who won an amazing upset victory to become senator - only to have his wife and daughter die tragically and nearly break him (just like the same thing nearly broke Theodore Roosevelt). Who saw his first attempt for the presidency blow up thanks to his own folly, yet remained a powerful, effective US Senator. Who had another child, a son who was a rising star in politics, died young from illness.

You can judge Joe Biden anyway you like. But weak? Don't bet on it.
    Good response thank you.

And yes like you I remember Kinnock!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

RobD said:

I have noticed that too. A really dreary comment on how rubbish Starmer is, or how marvellous the Tories are gets multiple likes from the same names.

Anyway, back on topic, Biden can handle it despite his age.
  • Options
    "And yes like you I remember Kinnock!"

So did Joe - too damn well. Letter-perfect in fact!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

RobD said:

I'm pretty sure that the Recovery trial has reported no benefit both from HCQ and the HIV drugs.
    The Americans still think there might be something in it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Then again, they have had to put out a plea for people to stop microwaving library books to avoid the virus:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/04/us/dont-microwave-your-library-books-trnd/index.html
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

Interesting that Farage says he's had a test. I wonder how he got that and in what circumstances.

All the footballers playing the Prem are being tested twice a week without any symptoms arent they?

Everyones talking about Nige in the pub with a pint.. he plays his enemies like a fiddle
    So you're saying he broke quarantine rules to get attention? Desperate.
This discussion has been closed.