Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden (77yo) just beating Trump (74yo) as having the mental an

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Re: the Epstein - Maxwell scandal, speculation as to REALLY big fish seems to be focused on Bill Clinton, who is listed in (at least one) black book, though he's denied ever visiting "orgy island". But then, to quote Mandy Rice Davies, "well he would, wouldn't he?"

BUT methinks there maybe ANOTHER president - also noted for his overactive libido - who just might be caught up in this foul web: the president who appointed the US District Attorney who personally signed off on Epstein's sweetheart plea deal during Cheney-Bush administration - and who was appointed to the cabinet as Secretary of Labor in the next GOP administration.

NOTE that it appears VERY clear that the former DA and Labor Secretary, Alexander Acosta, is a prime target for federal investigators. Why? Because prosecution of La Maxwell is being handled NOT by sex crimes division of SDNY, but instead by the public corruption division.

It would be somewhat ironic if Bill Clinton finished his days in a Federal Penetentiary having notoriously ended his presidency by pardoning Marc Rich. You may recall Rich's notoriety was making the top spot as the USA's most wanted white collar criminal. I met Rich and his sidekick Pinky Green in their offices in Wigmore Street many decades ago.

Trump presumably can pardon himself.
    Trump may be able to pardon himself, but I think I read somewhere that a presidential pardon only applied to federal offences, so SDNY could still get him.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    RobD said:

So she still thinks that Unionists are angry that there are less deaths in Scotland? Bizarre.
    I also think she's mistaken in arguing we should "clear" the virus and have "COVID-free Britain" - the only way you can do that is to stop all international travel. In Guernsey the CMO has been very clear - the best we can do is "suppress" the virus - now no known cases in over two months - but it will be back. If you think you've "cleared" it you're in for a nasty surprise and may not be ready for its return.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

Re: the Epstein - Maxwell scandal, speculation as to REALLY big fish seems to be focused on Bill Clinton, who is listed in (at least one) black book, though he's denied ever visiting "orgy island". But then, to quote Mandy Rice Davies, "well he would, wouldn't he?"

BUT methinks there maybe ANOTHER president - also noted for his overactive libido - who just might be caught up in this foul web: the president who appointed the US District Attorney who personally signed off on Epstein's sweetheart plea deal during Cheney-Bush administration - and who was appointed to the cabinet as Secretary of Labor in the next GOP administration.

NOTE that it appears VERY clear that the former DA and Labor Secretary, Alexander Acosta, is a prime target for federal investigators. Why? Because prosecution of La Maxwell is being handled NOT by sex crimes division of SDNY, but instead by the public corruption division.

It would be somewhat ironic if Bill Clinton finished his days in a Federal Penetentiary having notoriously ended his presidency by pardoning Marc Rich. You may recall Rich's notoriety was making the top spot as the USA's most wanted white collar criminal. I met Rich and his sidekick Pinky Green in their offices in Wigmore Street many decades ago.

Trump may be able to pardon himself, but I think I read somewhere that a presidential pardon only applied to federal offences, so SDNY could still get him.
    I think you are right.
  • Options

sarissa said:

Dundee infection rate has been minimal for a month - do try to keep up.
    The city has the fourth highest rate of positive cases in the UK per 100,000 people, which has been attributed to a high volume of testing by NHS Tayside.

As testing in other areas has increased, the city continues to have one of the highest numbers of total cases.

Dundee has the highest rate in Scotland and fourth in the UK, behind only Merthyr Tydfil, Denbighshire, and Rhondda Cynon Taf – all in Wales.
    The three in Wales are linked to two meat processing plants I believe.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited July 2020
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

So she still thinks that Unionists are angry that there are less deaths in Scotland? Bizarre.
    Arguably it's good news for unionists - it shows the devolution works.
    Absolutely not! Anything that works in Scotland is the work of the Scottish Government; anything that goes wrong in Scotland is the work of the ̶E̶v̶i̶l̶ ̶E̶n̶g̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ British Government. This proves that devolution is a red herring and only independence will suffice :smile:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    On May 8th I put a bet on the Tories to win most seats at the next GE at odds of 1.79... forgot about it and noticed it today thinking, blimey I bet that's well offside now with all that's happened since.. Durham, BLM, calamity after calamity, Sir Keir finding it impossible to put a knee wrong....

1.81-1.82 now
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Just back from Trump's Tulsa rally also attended by at least two high profile Coronavirus positive people (don Trump Jr's girfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle and Herman Cain).
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590

Not SDNY -which is federal - but New York State courts different kettle of fish.

As Trump pardoning himself, not sure SCOTUS majority would agree. Makes me wonder IF the Federalist Papers or Madison's Journal shed any light on what the Founders might have thought.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I‘ve just spent a bizarre ten minutes trying to grab my neighbour’s pussy.

Er, that is, pussycat, which had decided to escape and run under my shed.

Call the National Enquirer - they're good at 'Catch and ..' oh, maybe not.
  • Options
    In 2016 the Never Trumper GOP said, do NOT vote for Trump
    > net -1 against Trumpsky

In 2020 they are saying, you MUST vote for Biden
    > net -2 against Trumpsky

You do the math.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    That makes it worse. Never complain, never explain
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Just back from Trump's Tulsa rally also attended by at least two high profile Coronavirus positive people (don Trump Jr's girfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle and Herman Cain).
    He looks a bit peeky in the picture.
  • Options

Not SDNY -which is federal - but New York State courts different kettle of fish.

As Trump pardoning himself, not sure SCOTUS majority would agree. Makes me wonder IF the Federalist Papers or Madison's Journal shed any light on what the Founders might have thought.
    I stand corrected, I didn't realise that was federal.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_District_Court_for_the_Southern_District_of_New_York
  • Options
    LadyG said:

AND never dash off a tweet. Or an email.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Off topic. Well, it has only taken 4 months, but we received our first supermarket home delivery this evening.

Thank goodness that other suppliers have been more forthcoming.
  • Options

UK case number - 624

England regional case data (Pillar 1 & 2) - by specimen date.

As ever the last 3-5 days are subject to revision. last 5 days included for completeness

Very useful data - thank you for posting. Only 22 lab confirmed cases in this district since the start of June, and just four in the last fortnight, which is reassuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

LadyG said:

She deleted the tweet and not that many people noticed the original

Now, by repeating the idiotic thing she said, she has fuelled the fire and made everyone notice all over again. And she didn't even get the spelling right, she was so desperate to bang out her apology

Everything she says from here on will be viewed through the prism of her being a Nat shill and pro-indy.

Which is a bad place to be for a "neutral" scientist.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

You do the math.
    Its only -1 against Trump if the voter was prepared to vote Third Party or not vote. Speaking personally I'd never not vote and many people will never vote Third Party either so many of those inspired voters will have pinched their nose and voted Trump.

By making the leap to 'vote for Biden' it transforms things completely. For someone who pinched their nose and voted Trump last time if they do vote for Biden that's a true -2.
  • Options

I stand corrected, I didn't realise that was federal.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_District_Court_for_the_Southern_District_of_New_York
    In US federal court system, districts are named not for the city where they are located, but rather as "Southern District of New York", "Western District of Washington", etc.

RE: SDNY, note that Trumpsky recently fired the US DA - for doing his job too well.
  • Options
    Also, THIS

https://twitter.com/VeritatemPande/status/1279492397873971201?s=20

She's dug an even deeper hole by not apologising for the argument itself
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

She deleted the tweet and not that many people noticed the original

Now, by repeating the idiotic thing she said, she has fuelled the fire and made everyone notice all over again. And she didn't even get the spelling right, she was so desperate to bang out her apology

Everything she says from here on will be viewed through the prism of her being a Nat shill and pro-indy.

Which is a bad place to be for a "neutral" scientist.
    She’s not a bat, she’s a nit.

Edit - that should have been ‘she’s not a nat, she’s a nit.’ Autocorrect is behaving really strangely.
  • Options
    Interesting. I wonder why Starmer's down. His U-turn on BLM, or just the honeymoon easing?

I can't think of anything else he has said or done
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377

RobD said:

I also think she's mistaken in arguing we should "clear" the virus and have "COVID-free Britain" - the only way you can do that is to stop all international travel. In Guernsey the CMO has been very clear - the best we can do is "suppress" the virus - now no known cases in over two months - but it will be back. If you think you've "cleared" it you're in for a nasty surprise and may not be ready for its return.
    Article in the Times today saying that the consensus behind NZ's decision to lock the borders is fracturing due to the increasing economic cost re tourism and students and the substantial rise in unemployment as a result.
  • Options

You do the math.
    Its only -1 against Trump if the voter was prepared to vote Third Party or not vote. Speaking personally I'd never not vote and many people will never vote Third Party either so many of those inspired voters will have pinched their nose and voted Trump.

By making the leap to 'vote for Biden' it transforms things completely. For someone who pinched their nose and voted Trump last time if they do vote for Biden that's a true -2.
    The whole point is that, in 2016 the mass of anti-Trump GOPers did NOT vote for Hillary, instead they voted Libertarian, wrote-in a conservative, or skipped the Presidential race entirely, which is why falloff (people casting ballots but skipping race) was higher than normal for president.

BUT this year,these same voters are being urged - by their own leaders - to vote for Biden. THAT's a very critical difference.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    LadyG said:

Interesting. I wonder why Starmer's down. His U-turn on BLM, or just the honeymoon easing?

All broadly within margin of error.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Tsk. You tell us 3 is MoE.

-4 is not

Remember: a rogue poll is a poll whose results you dislike
  • Options
    humbugger said:

RobD said:

Article in the Times today saying that the consensus behind NZ's decision to lock the borders is fracturing due to the increasing economic cost re tourism and students and the substantial rise in unemployment as a result.
    Natural for patience to wear thin - but don't you think New Zealand is a rather special case? My guess is most NZers think they've got Covid-19 licked. NOT the case in US & UK.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    humbugger said:

RobD said:

Well, exactly. New Zealand desperately needs a vaccine or their economy will simply collapse. Because you cannot quarantine a country forever, just as people cannot stay indoors forever

And if/when NZ re-opens, the country will get the virus. It is remorseless and inexorable, the one advantage they'll have gained is better treatments, but they will also have zero immunity
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

The Proprietor said "broadly". AND have yez every heard of "blip on the radar screen"? Sometimes means something, but usually not.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

The first thing he has done that anyone has noticed is to make it clear that while he WAS taking sides in the culture war, he wouldn't go as far as to defund the police, smash up Brixton or be nasty to Jews

Today was a big chance to show he was one of the lads and not a boring dweeb, as the pubs opened for the first time since March... so he tweeted a picture of him having his hair washed
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

The Proprietor said "broadly". AND have yez every heard of "blip on the radar screen"? Sometimes means something, but usually not.
    If the Lib Dems went up by 4 I believe our Delightful Host would see fit to mention it. 4 is a definite shift

But yes it could still be noise. But we like to discuss polling noise on here. Tis a thing we do
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Interesting that Farage says he's had a test. I wonder how he got that and in what circumstances.

All the footballers playing the Prem are being tested twice a week without any symptoms arent they?

Everyones talking about Nige in the pub with a pint.. he plays his enemies like a fiddle
    They're paying for them, I doubt Nige paid for his.
    Given they are only £50 I bet he did. Alternatively he could be like me and have been given one for free.
  • Options
    isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

The first thing he has done that anyone has noticed is to make it clear that while he WAS taking sides in the culture war, he wouldn't go as far as to defund the police, smash up Brixton or be nasty to Jews
    He was foolish to backtrack on his BLM statement. Now he just appears weak and flipfloippy

First he takes the knee and he's Yay BLM, then he says No, BLM is just a moment and some of its ideas are nonsense, THEN he says Sorry I didn't mean that BLM is a defining moment hooray!

Pitiful, really.

I doubt more than 10% of the country noticed, but maybe enough did to dent his popularity
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    isam said:

On May 8th I put a bet on the Tories to win most seats at the next GE at odds of 1.79... forgot about it and noticed it today thinking, blimey I bet that's well offside now with all that's happened since.. Durham, BLM, calamity after calamity, Sir Keir finding it impossible to put a knee wrong....

1.81-1.82 now

Funnily enough I have almost identical odds on a bet from just after the last election. I reckon the odds now are pretty much fair, the ones before were value but we've been unlucky. Long way to go, of course.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

If the Lib Dems went up by 4 I believe our Delightful Host would see fit to mention it. 4 is a definite shift

But yes it could still be noise. But we like to discuss polling noise on here. Tis a thing we do
    Even IF -4 is for real, it would still be worth taking short-term hit (presumably from left-wingers) in return for long-term gain (with swing voters).
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Worth bearing in mind that there are two possible factors here. One is margin of error but the other is just noise. Polls drift up and down a bit just because.

I suspect that it is a combination of the two and unless it persists it will indicate absolutely diddly squat.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Worth bearing in mind that there are two possible factors here. One is margin of error but the other is just noise. Polls drift up and down a bit just because.

I suspect that it is a combination of the two and unless it persists it will indicate absolutely diddly squat.
    Oh FFS. If Political Betting is not allowed to get obsessively over-interested in pathetically minor poll movements then what ARE we meant to do on a sad rainy Saturday evening?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Oh FFS. If Political Betting is not allowed to get obsessively over-interested in pathetically minor poll movements then what ARE we meant to do on a sad rainy Saturday evening?
    I hear yez, Lady!
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    So kind of on topic,

Past few state polls (although I question them) haven't been bad for Trump - +4 for Arizona and Texas and tie in Florida, although with Trafalgar. They may be outliers but probably welcome for him post-recent polls.

We have had the debate on here a few nights back re whether the defund the Police calls would play an impact in the election. Trump campaign seems to think so hence the latest advert,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNav5wO5dh0

Re the Democratic VP nominee, I tipped Michelle Lujan Grisham when she is 25/1. She has drifted out to 33/1 on Ladbrokes but I still think she represents value. Interestingly, the language around the VP nomination is that it has to be a "woman of color" not necessarily a black woman. As supposedly the only Hispanic candidate on Biden's shortlist, he may see her as an alternative to other candidates who have issues with their past (Harris, Demmings, Rice)) or who may be seen as too junior (Lance Bottoms - who would also face criticism of morale in the Atlanta Police Dept).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

tlg86 said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Interesting that Farage says he's had a test. I wonder how he got that and in what circumstances.

All the footballers playing the Prem are being tested twice a week without any symptoms arent they?

Everyones talking about Nige in the pub with a pint.. he plays his enemies like a fiddle
    They're paying for them, I doubt Nige paid for his.
    Given they are only £50 I bet he did. Alternatively he could be like me and have been given one for free.
    I thought for a moment you meant his pint, and I was making a mental note never to drink in Kent.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

You are meant to go to the Pub, as Boris and Rishi requested. Do your duty.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

I'm in London and most of the pubs are still shut. I just went out and had a look
  • Options
    humbugger said:

RobD said:

It's a trade-off isn't it? Scotland could potentially achieve the same benefits as New Zealand but that means no foreign visitors for their tourist industry or students for their higher education sector, save for the few who have the time, money and determination to go there to go to spend a fortnight in a quarantine facility. There are no easy choices available to them.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

humbugger said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

I'm in London and most of the pubs are still shut. I just went out and had a look
    Not in soho or borough market lots of people out no social distancing no mask already staggering a bit
    Sky New web site
  • Options
    LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

He was foolish to backtrack on his BLM statement. Now he just appears weak and flipfloippy

First he takes the knee and he's Yay BLM, then he says No, BLM is just a moment and some of its ideas are nonsense, THEN he says Sorry I didn't mean that BLM is a defining moment hooray!

Pitiful, really.

I doubt more than 10% of the country noticed, but maybe enough did to dent his popularity
    Think more than 10% may notice - but most will think it's a sign he is NOT a fool like Corbyn.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of small minds" - and hallmark of dumb politicos. Sure don't hear many - even on PB - saying that our Keir is a dummy.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

LadyG said:

humbugger said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Not in soho or borough market lots of people out no social distancing no mask already staggering a bit
    Sky New web site
    Very odd differences across London then!

TBH I fear some of the pubs around here will be shut for good

:(
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    LadyG said:

It could be that random noise had him higher than his true level of support last time and random noise has now swung the other way - while nothing has really changed.

After all, most people are not paying attention most of the time.
  • Options

You do the math.

The whole point is that, in 2016 the mass of anti-Trump GOPers did NOT vote for Hillary, instead they voted Libertarian, wrote-in a conservative, or skipped the Presidential race entirely, which is why falloff (people casting ballots but skipping race) was higher than normal for president.

BUT this year,these same voters are being urged - by their own leaders - to vote for Biden. THAT's a very critical difference.
    I'm saying it could be a bigger difference than you said. If the voters who could have been neverTrump simply ended up backing Trump afterall because they weren't willing to waste their vote and weren't backing Hillary then they're in the Trump column last time.

If they switch to Biden this time that's an actual -2 this time.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Why don't you, Sean, Eadric and Byronic all go down the pub together?
  • Options

You do the math.

That is a fair point. Clinton was equal with Obama, Trump up by over 2m on Romney but the main increase was third party candidates. My gut feel is that the third party vote is probably not so strong this year because you do not have relatively high profile candidates. So the question is whether the never Trumpers stay at home or actually commit to Biden. Hard to say. Polling (sigh) suggests that Trump retains more support of Republicans than Biden does of Democrats.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    sarissa said:

Dundee infection rate has been minimal for a month - do try to keep up.
    Long experience has taught me not to bother interrupting when the Yoons think they have their latest dud silver bullet (13 years' worth and counting). Keeps the wee souls occupied.
  • Options

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Think more than 10% may notice - but most will think it's a sign he is NOT a fool like Corbyn.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of small minds" - and hallmark of dumb politicos. Sure don't hear many - even on PB - saying that our Keir is a dummy.
    His biggest mistake was having that photo taken in the first place because it makes him a hostage to fortune. I'm surprised he did so. As a lawyer, I would have expected him to be wary of doing anything that could have been used against him as evidence in the future.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Past few state polls (although I question them) haven't been bad for Trump - +4 for Arizona and Texas and tie in Florida, although with Trafalgar. They may be outliers but probably welcome for him post-recent polls.

We have had the debate on here a few nights back re whether the defund the Police calls would play an impact in the election. Trump campaign seems to think so hence the latest advert,

Re the Democratic VP nominee, I tipped Michelle Lujan Grisham when she is 25/1. She has drifted out to 33/1 on Ladbrokes but I still think she represents value. Interestingly, the language around the VP nomination is that it has to be a "woman of color" not necessarily a black woman. As supposedly the only Hispanic candidate on Biden's shortlist, he may see her as an alternative to other candidates who have issues with their past (Harris, Demmings, Rice)) or who may be seen as too junior (Lance Bottoms - who would also face criticism of morale in the Atlanta Police Dept).

Well, Gov Lujan Grisham made the top 3 on my own VP list (does anyone have Joe's number handy?) Has been NM Gov for less than a year, but served 3 terms in US House. Would be helpful to Biden with Hispanic voters in NM and AZ among other states, and with appeal to non-Hispanics in western states (note that in this context NM is more Western than CA, just as GA is more Southern than FL).

As for polls, you have a point. Certainly helps keep yours truly's feet on the ground.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

His biggest mistake was having that photo taken in the first place because it makes him a hostage to fortune. I'm surprised he did so. As a lawyer, I would have expected him to be wary of doing anything that could have been used against him as evidence in the future.
    Yes, it was a huge risk. Misguided

Has any other major politician outside the USA "taken the knee"?

Why do it? You can easily shrug it off, as Boris did

America is different and is going through its own very personal psychodrama
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    I am delighted to announce the morning thread features a discussion about the alternative vote system.
  • Options

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Well, Gov Lujan Grisham made the top 3 on my own VP list (does anyone have Joe's number handy?) Has been NM Gov for less than a year, but served 3 terms in US House. Would be helpful to Biden with Hispanic voters in NM and AZ among other states, and with appeal to non-Hispanics in western states (note that in this context NM is more Western than CA, just as GA is more Southern than FL).

As for polls, you have a point. Certainly helps keep yours truly's feet on the ground.
    That has been my logic re Lujan, SeaShanty. Doesn't mean it is right and / or Biden will see it the same way but I think at 33/1 given she is the leading Hispanic candidate, it is well worth a punt.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

You do the math.

That is a fair point. Clinton was equal with Obama, Trump up by over 2m on Romney but the main increase was third party candidates. My gut feel is that the third party vote is probably not so strong this year because you do not have relatively high profile candidates. So the question is whether the never Trumpers stay at home or actually commit to Biden. Hard to say. Polling (sigh) suggests that Trump retains more support of Republicans than Biden does of Democrats.

Some of those Democrats are like Catholics - or Anglicans - who never go to church, not even on Christmas or Easter. Don't want to call themselves Republicans but that's how they vote, esp. at top of ticket.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Yeah only political obsessives like me notice now, but I reckon the Tories will be ready to unleash that photo, alongside quotes from BLM, via the dark arts of the internet/journo buddies as and when
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2020
    MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Shades of Bush Snr 's brutally effective Willie Horton attack ad on Dukakis in 1988 in that Trump ad saying Biden would defund the police and be soft on crime.

Dukakis had a big poll lead through most of the summer
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Well, quite:

https://twitter.com/CovidSkip/status/1277929312960864256
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    isam said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Yeah only political obsessives like me notice now, but I reckon the Tories will be ready to unleash that photo, alongside quotes from BLM, via the dark arts of the internet/journo buddies as and when
    The last surge for BLM ended in an orgy of anti-Semitism from the BLM-ers and many people had to quickly step away

Starmer needs to pray the same doesn't happen this time, which is quite an ask, as the movement has already been hijacked by hard lefties who are absolutely Ken Livingstone about Israel/Jews

Because then that photo will be a 7 ton albatross
  • Options

MrEd said:

You do the math.

Some of those Democrats are like Catholics - or Anglicans - who never go to church, not even on Christmas or Easter. Don't want to call themselves Republicans but that's how they vote, esp. at top of ticket.
    You have a strong group of people who want Trump out regardless and will vote Biden, ditto a large group who love Trump and what he stands for and will vote for him regardless. The result comes down to those who think about what is important and then make their decision. One of the reasons why I think Trump has a better chance than many expect is that (personal view) the waverers will decide on the day that he is the "safer" option from an economic / living standards standpoint. I also think the defund the Police issue will come to bite the Democrats back in the ass but that is just an opinion.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Virtue signalling is a very tempting, risk free stunt, usually.
  • Options
    I think that’s the lowest Tory share for a while and would be a Hung Parliament
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

It's ironic that the extreme left, who whine most about American imperialism when it suits them, have imported this woke totem from across the Atlantic unthinkingly.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Good point. How huge is the question. BJ/Tories are clearly singing from the DT/GOP hymnbook, and are sure to use this in serenading the Great (or is that Little?) British Public.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Nobody cares about the knee, although it was a bit naff.

Richard Tyndall has already explained about MoE and fluctuations. Besides which Boris has let you go down the pub and Starmer hasn't.

Add to that the fact we are four years out from a GE, it isn't worth getting so excited over
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Richard Tyndall has already explained about MoE and fluctuations. Besides which Boris has let you go down the pub and Starmer hasn't.

Add to that the fact we are four years out from a GE, it isn't worth getting so excited over
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Why don't you, Sean, Eadric and Byronic all go down the pub together?
    They might find they hate each other.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    The only question I have is where are the other 5% of voters - Brexit Party ?
  • Options
    The polls are remarkably stable, now, given the volatility of the times: a crashing economy, mass unemployment, plague everywhere, war with China looming, the cancellation of David Starkey, my theory that Bob Dylan is slightly overrated
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2020
    MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Trump +4 in Arizona. Interesting, let me check the poll....

Very Interesting, it's by Gravis so non-partisan (infact 538 list them as having a tiny Dem skew) and just because it was commissioned by OAN doesn't mean the polling is bad.... Wait a minute hold the fucking phone what is this?

Stop. Collaborate. Listen. The Clinton-Trump split is not accurate. Trump won by 4 points (48-44) in 2016. This is their post demographic weighting. That is saying the 2016 result according to their sample was
    Trump: 54%
    Clinton: 38%

That's a humongous "skew".

• Options
    LadyG said:

The polls are remarkably stable, now, given the volatility of the times: a crashing economy, mass unemployment, plague everywhere, war with China looming, the cancellation of David Starkey, my theory that Bob Dylan is slightly overrated
    If nothing else, as a reclusive, 60 year old lesbian painter of axolotls, I fear I would find their laddish banter somewhat toxic, and, also, I could not keep up with their champagne bills
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Shades of Bush Snr 's brutally effective Willie Horton attack ad on Dukakis in 1988 in that Trump ad saying Biden would defund the police and be soft on crime.

Yes brutal but quite effective in that it depicts a situation most Americans know about in real life - but instead of pressing #1 to speak to an operator about your bank bill (let's say), it's about a crime
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    HYUFD said:

I thought "read my lips, no new taxes" was the main reason George HW Bush won in 1988.

As soon as he reneged on that pledge, he was in serious trouble.
  • Options

LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

My point is that no one cares about the knee YET

But if BLM goes mental and violent or is exposed as some horrible anti-Semitic nightmare, then that photo would be VERY awkward

He didn't need to do it. Pious words would have sufficed.

Besides, it's "naff" - as you say.

We should all use the word naff more often. It is sadly neglected
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

It's an unresolved issue. But I think it would be a last resort because the federal courts have determined that accepting a pardon is admitting guilt, and if the pardon were deemed invalid, the admission would presumably still stand.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

For Covid case to death stats the Swedes have the average time from symptoms to ICU admission as 11 days.

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Very Interesting, it's by Gravis so non-partisan (infact 538 list them as having a tiny Dem skew) and just because it was commissioned by OAN doesn't mean the polling is bad.... Wait a minute hold the fucking phone what is this?

Stop. Collaborate. Listen. The Clinton-Trump split is not accurate. Trump won by 4 points (48-44) in 2016. This is their post demographic weighting. That is saying the 2016 result according to their sample was

As I said Alastair, and have been quite vocal on this, I question the polls - especially the state polls - because I don't trust them and they weren't accurate last time.

Have you done a similar analysis eg on the polls showing a big Democratic lead in some of these states?
  • Options
    Say LadyG, since yez have your ears on, IF you are inclined might want to check out "The Earl of Louisiana" by AJ Liebling, which is a partial biography and great slice of life featuring Huey Long's younger brother, Earl Long aka "Uncle Earl" who was also Governor of Louisiana.

Among other things noted for saying, "N_____s is people too!" in retorting deep-fried racist opponents in 1950s & early '60s. Also for firing director of state insane asylum who refused to release him. AND was played by Paul Newman of all people in the otherwise forgettable flick "Blaze" about Uncle Earl's fling with a stripper while serving as Governor (which is my his long-suffering wife, Miz Blanche, had him committed in the first place.

Only in Louisiana!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Yes brutal but quite effective in that it depicts a situation most Americans know about in real life - but instead of pressing #1 to speak to an operator about your bank bill (let's say), it's about a crime
    God, American attack ads are good. On both sides

The Lincoln Project ads assaulting the Donald are superbly vicious.

But yes, that is equally powerful, in return
  • Options
    Fishing said:

It's an unresolved issue. But I think it would be a last resort because the federal courts have determined that accepting a pardon is admitting guilt, and if the pardon were deemed invalid, the admission would presumably still stand.
    I'm liking the way your mind is working.
  • Options

LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

-4 is not

Pitiful, really.

Good point. How huge is the question. BJ/Tories are clearly singing from the DT/GOP hymnbook, and are sure to use this in serenading the Great (or is that Little?) British Public.
    Probably to whom it would be most important is the key question. Labour's core inner city vote would quite welcome it. Socially liberal LDs and pro-Remain Tories probably wouldn't mind it too much either. The problem for Starmer is that the photo is likely to be taken most negatively by the voters Labour needs to get back in the North and Midlands i.e. WWC
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2020
    https://twitter.com/IWTheDarkPrince/status/1279495335409311744

LD + Lab + SNP + SDLP + Greens would just be enough to lockout the Tories - prediction is based on one I saw above. Most likely Tories would carry on.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

LD + Lab + SNP + SDLP + Greens would just be enough to lockout the Tories

Coalition of chaos!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

For Covid case to death stats the Swedes have the average time from symptoms to ICU admission as 11 days.

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

As I said Alastair, and have been quite vocal on this, I question the polls - especially the state polls - because I don't trust them and they weren't accurate last time.

Have you done a similar analysis eg on the polls showing a big Democratic lead in some of these states?
    American polling reporting is so shoddy it is often impossible to do so. Gravis must be commended for providing enough info to actually spot this.

Often with American polls you get the headline figure and fuck all else. It is infuriating.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

American polling reporting is so shoddy it is often impossible to do so. Gravis must be commended for providing enough info to actually spot this.

Often with American polls you get the headline figure and fuck all else. It is infuriating.
    This is why we should all be grateful for the British Polling Council.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/samimousa86/status/1279494798920073216

Flavible prediction I was talking about.

Lab: 250
    SNP: 58
    LD: 7
    PC: 4
    Green: 1
    SDLP 2 (?)

Wafer thin majority
  • Options

LD + Lab + SNP + SDLP + Greens would just be enough to lockout the Tories - prediction is based on one I saw above. Most likely Tories would carry on.

Sinn Fein would come to the Conservative Party's rescue by continuing their abstentionism at Westminster.

Although the DUP might put Labour in power as revenge for Boris Johnson putting a border down the Irish Sea.
  • Options

Sinn Fein would come to the Conservative Party's rescue by continuing their abstentionism at Westminster.

Although the DUP might put Labour in power as revenge for Boris Johnson putting a border down the Irish Sea.
    See above, according to Flavible without DUP anti-Tories is 321, which is a technical majority? DUP would give a few seats.

Biggest mess of a Parliament for decades
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956

SDLP 2 (?)

Wafer thin majority

Except the second the English get wind of the fact the Scots may hold the balance of power they will vote to keep the SNP out. More or less why 2015 happened the way it did.
  • Options

SDLP 2 (?)

Wafer thin majority

That's not a majority.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    RobD said:

LD + Lab + SNP + SDLP + Greens would just be enough to lockout the Tories

Coalition of chaos!
    As opposed to administration of chaos we have now?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

So kind of on topic,

Had a look at the NY Time/Sienna Arizona poll as they provide decentish Cross Tabs

This was for a Biden+7 poll
    They had a not quite as skewed but still-Trump heavy Trump 39, Clinton 29 past vote in their sample (but they are not clear if that is the pre or post weighted figures).

JFC, For some of the most interesting questions in the survey they don't break it down by either past or current vote choice. These utter wankers.

Look at this question - utter dynamite, no breakdown

This discussion has been closed.