Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden (77yo) just beating Trump (74yo) as having the mental an

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

LadyG said:

THIS now appears in front of lots of movies on Sky:

"This film has outdated attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence today. Sci-fi sequel starring Sigourney Weaver. Contains violence."

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/d4b63e32-3e67-4408-8c50-47720ef807a3/aliens-1986

This particular movie is Aliens. Can anyone tell me what is offensive in Aliens?

Genuinely mystified.

It portrays non-earth species in a negative fashion.
    Perhaps as a general rule, that disclaimer should be applied to anything that was produced more than a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    ydoethur said:

Was the pub in Barnard Castle?
    It's the Queens Head at Downe.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

Hilarious Derby!

The one I put up on here, Amhran Na Bhfiann, came only third.
    At enormous odds so that is a result.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Sean_F said:

LadyG said:

"This film has outdated attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence today. Sci-fi sequel starring Sigourney Weaver. Contains violence."

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/d4b63e32-3e67-4408-8c50-47720ef807a3/aliens-1986

This particular movie is Aliens. Can anyone tell me what is offensive in Aliens?

Genuinely mystified.

Perhaps as a general rule, that disclaimer should be applied to anything that was produced more than a couple of years ago.
    That is basically what is happening.

In fact they should put it on new films just in case.

"This film contain attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence in a couple of days"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    I know it’s not like an empty football stadium, but watching an empty Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the 4th July Indycar race is very weird indeed.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hard Brexiteers pushing for their own Independence Day

https://twitter.com/LewisFeilder/status/1279315529577226240?s=20

Actually the first international cricket match was the USA v Canada in 1844. Cricket was popular in the US, I believe, and declined only post the Civil War.

It's tragic. They failed to develop a proper cricket team.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    welshowl said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Actually the first international cricket match was the USA v Canada in 1844. Cricket was popular in the US, I believe, and declined only post the Civil War.

Screwed up the quotes so my reply appears in the middle 🙄
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    Sandpit said:

On topic I suspect neither has the wit of Reagan when it comes to making their age a virtue.

Related to age....

Two things in recent days have made me feel really old.

1) We're closer to 2050 than we are to 1990.

2) People who weren't born when The Fellowship Of The Ring was released at the cinema are now having children.

Yours sincerely a 41 year old.

People born after 9/11 voted in the last UK election.
    I just done that thing of taking my age away from the date of my birth and realised that Gladstone was PM then. I now feel really really really old.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Jumpers for goal posts stuff in Man Utd vs Bournemouth game.

Mason Greenwood looks like a very good player.
    England look like have some serious attacking talent for years to come...Greenwood, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Hudson-Odi to name just a few.
    And the world's best (attacking) right back in Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Absolutely astonishing to think he has more assists than most midfielders.
    Perhaps England should just copy the Brazil approach of the past, don't worry about defending, just out score the opposition.
    Has that ever been the Brazil approach? The two world cups they've won that I remember were notable for the impact of their holding midfielders.
    Enter Hamza Choudhury to strike fear into any attacking player...
    He's a dirty player, he should play for Dirty Leeds.
    Excuse me! Under Bielsa, Leeds are transformed: pure, clean, total football. Way down the Championship yellow cards league this season.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Was the pub in Barnard Castle?
    It's the Queens Head at Downe.
    Are you sure? Might need an eye test...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

England look like have some serious attacking talent for years to come...Greenwood, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Hudson-Odi to name just a few.

Perhaps England should just copy the Brazil approach of the past, don't worry about defending, just out score the opposition.
    Has that ever been the Brazil approach? The two world cups they've won that I remember were notable for the impact of their holding midfielders.
    Excuse me! Under Bielsa, Leeds are transformed: pure, clean, total football. Way down the Championship yellow cards league this season.
    That's when they aren't spying on the opposition....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    When did Farage come back then? The Tulsa rally was on the 20th. If he came back immediatly after the rally then he would have been back in the UK on the 21st. I'm really bad at date maths but he's not been back 14 full days surely.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    RobD said:

LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

I had a look, it's apparently because Vasquez is not played by a hispanic actress.
    "Look, man! I only need to know one thing: where they are!"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Alistair said:

When did Farage come back then? The Tulsa rally was on the 20th. If he came back immediatly after the rally then he would have been back in the UK on the 21st. I'm really bad at date maths but he's not been back 14 full days surely.

No, only 13.5 days. ;)
  • Options
    LadyG said:
    Poor old Malc must have had a busy day. Slagging people off here in the morning, then a dash to Berwick...
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:
    Poor old Malc must have had a busy day. Slagging people off here in the morning, then a dash to Berwick...
    It's funny..... but also really quite depressing
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Alistair said:

Nigel Farage appears to have broken the UK's quarantine rules after posting a photo in a pub at midday today - less than two weeks after returning from the US.

There are calls for an investigation after the Brexit Party leader shared a photo with a pint as the coronavirus lockdown in England eased and pubs reopened for the first time. He wrote: "12 o'clock, first customer in. Love it."

It is thought that after a trip to the US he could only have re-entered the UK 13 days ago at the earliest, and should be quarantining until tomorrow.

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-appears-to-break-quarantine-rules-with-pub-photo-after-us-trip-12020998
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    kinabalu said:

Hilarious Derby!

Socially distanced
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Alistair said:

He was just checking his tastebuds.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    I don't think it strictly accurate, we have had more than a few cases in children for example, but yes the lockdown is on the basis of pillar 2 cases with few admissions. Leicester folk are going along with it from what I can see, but far from convinced that it was nessecary.

In particular there is resentment at losing holidays booked over the winter. Leicester schools break a week to ten days earlier than most of England, and people usually go immediately so as to get lower rates. Schools were due to break for summer on July 10th.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited July 2020

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Nonsense. I saw the USA cricket team take on New Zealand in the 2004 Champions Trophy at The Oval.
    Wasn’t it composed entirely of superannuated West Indian rejects?

Admittedly there was a time when the mere thought of that would have been enough to lead the opposition into wearing brown trousers and risking the fine. But not by 2004.
    Nah, there were a few Pakistanis and Indians in there.
    Two or three years ago England hosted the Under-19 European Cricket championships (Group something. Think it was B. ). They played at various club grounds all over Essex and several matches were at our local ground, so I went along to watch. IIRC the Italian team was entirely Indo-Pak and the German largely so.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    On the films -

I think the warning is for where there are uncritical racist or sexist stereotypes OR where characters of which the film "approves" voice racist or sexist sentiments.

All the Connery and Moore Bond films need a warning for example. Quite a stern one for many of them.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Is this the first time since lockdown began where the next month is more dangerous than the previous month?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    SandraMc said:

Sandpit said:

On topic I suspect neither has the wit of Reagan when it comes to making their age a virtue.

Related to age....

2) People who weren't born when The Fellowship Of The Ring was released at the cinema are now having children.

I just done that thing of taking my age away from the date of my birth and realised that Gladstone was PM then. I now feel really really really old.
    The Czar was in charge of Russia on my equivalent date, and Archduke Ferdinand in fine fettle, with Austria yet to annex Sarajevo.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You'll always be Dirty Leeds, a few seasons of pure and cleanliness football will not undo decades of dirtiness.

It'll be great to see Bielsa in the Premier League though.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Nonsense. I saw the USA cricket team take on New Zealand in the 2004 Champions Trophy at The Oval.
    Wasn’t it composed entirely of superannuated West Indian rejects?

Admittedly there was a time when the mere thought of that would have been enough to lead the opposition into wearing brown trousers and risking the fine. But not by 2004.
    Nah, there were a few Pakistanis and Indians in there.
    Here in King County, there is a park just south of Seattle that has a cricket pitch (or whateve its called) which methinks is mainly used by South Asian Americans; note that there is also a lawn bowling whatchmacallit in the city not far from where I'm typing this drivel.

We also have an English pub favored by many rather old-school expats; so old-school that it that the place was notorious (a few years ago) for flouting the no-smoking ban, until the health department threatened legal action to shut it down unless they complied with the law.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    True this.

(Apologies for the Brexiteers apostrophe in that.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

SandraMc said:

Sandpit said:

Related to age....

The Czar was in charge of Russia on my equivalent date, and Archduke Ferdinand in fine fettle, with Austria yet to annex Sarajevo.
    I'm 20 days away from QE2's coronation.
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:
    In USA areas outside major metropolitan areas that are popular tourist destinations have been just about as aggressive in discouraging outsiders (including owners of vacation homes) from visiting or seeking refuge. Perhaps most notable example was State of Rhode Island, but plenty of others from coast to coast, including here in WA State.

Notable because the areas affected are HEAVILY dependent on tourism; willing to take economic hit (for a while anyway) in return for protecting local public health.

My guess their are areas of England with the same attitude, where nationalism is NOT an issue.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

Yes, maybe it's stereotyping.

They should remake the movie, only with NICE aliens, then it would be fine.

John Hurt could keep one as a pet, and Sigourney could learn how to do alien crochet from the Alien Mother
    Somebody said "alien" and thought the film said "illegal alien" and put the sticker on it...

Corporal Hudson to the blue courtesy phone please, Corporal Hudson to the blue courtesy phone....
  • Options

True this.

Hey, no hard feelings! AND you know we still love the royal family - which is admittedly easier from a distance.

THOUGH we'd be happy to welcome His Foul Lowness Prince Andrew to come pay us a visit - a nice loooooong one with all expenses paid and his own private room at Club Fed.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Foxy said:

SandraMc said:

Sandpit said:

Related to age....

Palmerston for me. And the Crimean War ended.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I don't think it strictly accurate, we have had more than a few cases in children for example, but yes the lockdown is on the basis of pillar 2 cases with few admissions. Leicester folk are going along with it from what I can see, but far from convinced that it was nessecary.

In particular there is resentment at losing holidays booked over the winter. Leicester schools break a week to ten days earlier than most of England, and people usually go immediately so as to get lower rates. Schools were due to break for summer on July 10th.
    The point about the local lock down *before* it gets bad is that it can be shorter, and less people will end up.... dead, I think they call it.

Given that many people are criticising the government (quite reasonably) for not locking down earlier....

• Options

Foxy said:

SandraMc said:

Sandpit said:

Related to age....

Palmerston for me. And the Crimean War ended.
    SO that makes you 82 or thereabouts - can any other PBer beat that?
  • Options

True this.

Hey, no hard feelings! AND you know we still love the royal family - which is admittedly easier from a distance.

THOUGH we'd be happy to welcome His Foul Lowness Prince Andrew to come pay us a visit - a nice loooooong one with all expenses paid and his own private room at Club Fed.
    Prince Andrew does seem to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

People who are completely despicable are quite unusual.
  • Options
    Re: the Epstein - Maxwell scandal, speculation as to REALLY big fish seems to be focused on Bill Clinton, who is listed in (at least one) black book, though he's denied ever visiting "orgy island". But then, to quote Mandy Rice Davies, "well he would, wouldn't he?"

BUT methinks there maybe ANOTHER president - also noted for his overactive libido - who just might be caught up in this foul web: the president who appointed the US District Attorney who personally signed off on Epstein's sweetheart plea deal during Cheney-Bush administration - and who was appointed to the cabinet as Secretary of Labor in the next GOP administration.

NOTE that it appears VERY clear that the former DA and Labor Secretary, Alexander Acosta, is a prime target for federal investigators. Why? Because prosecution of La Maxwell is being handled NOT by sex crimes division of SDNY, but instead by the public corruption division.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

True this.

His one redeeming quality, he's great for the republican movement.
  • Options
    UK case number - 624

England regional case data (Pillar 1 & 2) - by specimen date.

As ever the last 3-5 days are subject to revision. last 5 days included for completeness

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited July 2020

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:
    In USA areas outside major metropolitan areas that are popular tourist destinations have been just about as aggressive in discouraging outsiders (including owners of vacation homes) from visiting or seeking refuge. Perhaps most notable example was State of Rhode Island, but plenty of others from coast to coast, including here in WA State.

Notable because the areas affected are HEAVILY dependent on tourism; willing to take economic hit (for a while anyway) in return for protecting local public health.

My guess their are areas of England with the same attitude, where nationalism is NOT an issue.
    Or even where it is.

I recall that there used to be an occasional Cornish nationalist on here, I wonder what became of him?

https://twitter.com/jamescaddy11/status/1279382135368028161?s=20
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

John Hurt could keep one as a pet, and Sigourney could learn how to do alien crochet from the Alien Mother
    Somebody said "alien" and thought the film said "illegal alien" and put the sticker on it...

Corporal Hudson to the blue courtesy phone please, Corporal Hudson to the blue courtesy phone....
    Private Hudson. It's Corporal Hicks.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

True this.

The Duke of Fuck is throwback to his great-great-etc. uncle the Duke of Cumberland (eventually King of Hanover) who was alleged to have murdered his valet. He was the most despised of the sons of George III - which is REALLY saying something.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

"Hudson? ... Sir, I'm Hicks, he's Hudson." - get it right....

...I give people a feed line, they blow it... PB is turning into some kind of a chickenshit outfit....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

Or even where it is.

I recall that there used to be an occasional Cornish nationalist on here, I wonder what became of him?

https://twitter.com/jamescaddy11/status/1279382135368028161?s=20
    Yes! Long-time PBers may remember that yours truly for many years has been sounding the alarm re: the dangers of extreme Cornish nationalist & their dream of an East Cornwall Co-Prosperity Sphere,

By any chance was photo taken at Shepard's Bush Roudabout?
  • Options
    Clarification re: Alexander Acosta - W appointed him US DA South Florida, it was Trump who put him in cabinet.

Also note that Trumpsky recently fired US DA for Southern District of New York - the guy who reopened the Epstein investigation. Coincidence? Kismet? Conspiracy?
  • Options
    I don't think it is fair to describe unionists as anti-Scottish.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Based on PB chatter, keep wondering - when will ENGLAND declare independence from SCOTLAND?
  • Options

Re: the Epstein - Maxwell scandal, speculation as to REALLY big fish seems to be focused on Bill Clinton, who is listed in (at least one) black book, though he's denied ever visiting "orgy island". But then, to quote Mandy Rice Davies, "well he would, wouldn't he?"

BUT methinks there maybe ANOTHER president - also noted for his overactive libido - who just might be caught up in this foul web: the president who appointed the US District Attorney who personally signed off on Epstein's sweetheart plea deal during Cheney-Bush administration - and who was appointed to the cabinet as Secretary of Labor in the next GOP administration.

NOTE that it appears VERY clear that the former DA and Labor Secretary, Alexander Acosta, is a prime target for federal investigators. Why? Because prosecution of La Maxwell is being handled NOT by sex crimes division of SDNY, but instead by the public corruption division.

I remember years ago, reading a book by a horror writer, Dan Simons, called Carrion Comfort, that specified shenanigans among the US upper classes at a place that sounds very like Orgy Island. Maybe it was a roman a clef.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RobD said:

It's a very "political" statement for a Scientist to make. But I fear it's part of the groupthink that SNP=Scotland, Scotland=SNP.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    RobD said:

Not all of them, no.
  • Options

RobD said:

It's a very "political" statement for a Scientific advisor to make. But I fear it's part of the groupthink that SNP=Scotland, Scotland=SNP.
    Yeah, she's clearly partisan.
  • Options
    Old King Cole referenced Lord Palmerston. Who among other claims to fame had some relevant experience re: sexual impropriety.

IIRC, Pam incurred Queen Victoria's displeasure during visit to Windsor Castle by entering the wrong bed chamber . . . and nearly raping one of Her Majesty's ladies in waiting . . .
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

"Hudson? ... Sir, I'm Hicks, he's Hudson." - get it right....

...I give people a feed line, they blow it... PB is turning into some kind of a chickenshit outfit....
    You got the ranks the wrong way round! Repeat after me:

Corporal Hicks
    Private Hudson

And the line from the film is actually:

"Hudson, sir! He's Hicks!"

• Options

RobD said:

Based on PB chatter, keep wondering - when will ENGLAND declare independence from SCOTLAND?
    "How do I get out of this chicken-shit outfit?" :lol:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    LadyG said:
    Do you think they'll get their jobs back when the Scottish Tourist Board comes out of furlough?
  • Options

LadyG said:
    Do you think they'll get their jobs back when the Scottish Tourist Board comes out of furlough?
    I was assuming most of them worked for the Student Loan Company.

But if they can construct a simple sentence, they might fail on the grounds of over-intelligence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

RobD said:

It's the Referendum Boris can sign up to.....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    Sean_F said:

I remember years ago, reading a book by a horror writer, Dan Simons, called Carrion Comfort, that specified shenanigans among the US upper classes at a place that sounds very like Orgy Island. Maybe it was a roman a clef.

Have you seen the movie, The Hunt?
  • Options
    re: Biden's VP selection process, check out story in July 4 NYT

Life on the Vice-Presidential Short List
    It’s exciting. It can also feel like a colonoscopy.

There will be blood tests. Interrogations about junior high. An analysis of tax returns.

It is an experience Joseph R. Biden Jr. knows all too well from his time on the vice-presidential short list 12 years ago.

“They basically are disassembling your entire life,” said Kathleen Sebelius, a former Democratic governor of Kansas who, along with Mr. Biden, was vetted extensively by the Obama campaign in 2008. “It was as intrusive and probing as anything I’ve ever been through or would hope to ever go through again.”

Evan Bayh, a former Democratic senator from Indiana and a repeat vice-presidential contestant, somewhat famously compared the vetting process to a colonoscopy — “except they use the Hubble telescope on you.”

Indeed, when Barack Obama called Mr. Biden in June 2008 to request permission to vet him, Mr. Biden initially said no. Finally, he wrote in his 2017 memoir, “I agreed to go through the vetting process, but not with a whole lot of enthusiasm.”
  • Options

RobD said:

It's the Referendum Boris can sign up to.....
    New name - the Conservative and Disunionist Party
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    LadyG said:

Sean_F said:

LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

That is basically what is happening.

In fact they should put it on new films just in case.

"This film contain attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence in a couple of days"
    Or, here's a new one, just put the year in brackets after the movies title!
  • Options
    Seven year coronavirus trail from deadly bat cave to the Wuhan lab

In 2013, scientists investigating deaths in a disused mine found a coronavirus remarkably similar to that behind the pandemic. They took samples to their lab 1,000 miles away

In the monsoon season of August 2012 a small team of scientists travelled to southwest China to investigate a new and mysteriously lethal illness. After driving through terraced tea plantations, they reached their destination: an abandoned copper mine where — in white hazmat suits and respirator masks — they ventured into the darkness.

Instantly, they were struck by the stench. Overhead, bats roosted. Underfoot, rats and shrews scurried through thick layers of their droppings. It was a breeding ground for mutated micro-organisms and pathogens deadly to human beings. There was a reason to take extra care. Weeks earlier, six men who had entered the mine had been struck down by an illness that caused an uncontrollable pneumonia. Three of them died.

Today, as deaths from the Covid-19 pandemic exceed half a million and economies totter, the bats’ repellent lair has taken on global significance.

Evidence seen by The Sunday Times suggests that a virus found in its depths — part of a faecal sample that was frozen and sent to a Chinese laboratory for analysis and storage — is the closest known match to the virus that causes Covid-19.

It came from one of the last droppings collected in the year-long quest, during which the six researchers sent hundreds of samples back to their home city of Wuhan. There, experts on bat viruses were trying to identify the source of the Sars — severe acute respiratory syndrome — pandemic 10 years earlier.

The virus was a huge discovery. It was a “new strain” of a Sars-type coronavirus that, surprisingly, received only a passing mention in an academic paper. The six sick men were not referred to at all.

What happened to the virus in the years between its discovery and the eruption of Covid-19? Why was its existence tucked away in obscure records, and its link to three deaths not mentioned?

Nobody can deny the bravery of the scientists who risked their lives by harvesting the highly infectious virus. But did their courageous detective work lead inadvertently to a global disaster?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/seven-year-covid-trail-revealed-l5vxt7jqp
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

It's a very "political" statement for a Scientific advisor to make. But I fear it's part of the groupthink that SNP=Scotland, Scotland=SNP.
    Yeah, she's clearly partisan.
    She's deleted the tweet - where she described critics as "anti-Scottish, pro UK ("Unionists")"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,680
    What did it say before it disappeared?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Saying she was getting criticism because unionists (who are apparently "anti-Scottish") were angry there were less deaths in Scotland compared to England.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Saying she was getting criticism because unionists (who are apparently "anti-Scottish") where angry there were less deaths in Scotland compared to England.
    Thanks. Who's she?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Saying she was getting criticism because unionists (who are apparently "anti-Scottish") where angry there were less deaths in Scotland compared to England.
    *Fewer deaths*
  • Options

Seven year coronavirus trail from deadly bat cave to the Wuhan lab

In 2013, scientists investigating deaths in a disused mine found a coronavirus remarkably similar to that behind the pandemic. They took samples to their lab 1,000 miles away

In the monsoon season of August 2012 a small team of scientists travelled to southwest China to investigate a new and mysteriously lethal illness. After driving through terraced tea plantations, they reached their destination: an abandoned copper mine where — in white hazmat suits and respirator masks — they ventured into the darkness.

Instantly, they were struck by the stench. Overhead, bats roosted. Underfoot, rats and shrews scurried through thick layers of their droppings. It was a breeding ground for mutated micro-organisms and pathogens deadly to human beings. There was a reason to take extra care. Weeks earlier, six men who had entered the mine had been struck down by an illness that caused an uncontrollable pneumonia. Three of them died.

Today, as deaths from the Covid-19 pandemic exceed half a million and economies totter, the bats’ repellent lair has taken on global significance.

Evidence seen by The Sunday Times suggests that a virus found in its depths — part of a faecal sample that was frozen and sent to a Chinese laboratory for analysis and storage — is the closest known match to the virus that causes Covid-19.

It came from one of the last droppings collected in the year-long quest, during which the six researchers sent hundreds of samples back to their home city of Wuhan. There, experts on bat viruses were trying to identify the source of the Sars — severe acute respiratory syndrome — pandemic 10 years earlier.

The virus was a huge discovery. It was a “new strain” of a Sars-type coronavirus that, surprisingly, received only a passing mention in an academic paper. The six sick men were not referred to at all.

What happened to the virus in the years between its discovery and the eruption of Covid-19? Why was its existence tucked away in obscure records, and its link to three deaths not mentioned?

Nobody can deny the bravery of the scientists who risked their lives by harvesting the highly infectious virus. But did their courageous detective work lead inadvertently to a global disaster?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/seven-year-covid-trail-revealed-l5vxt7jqp

Gives whole new twist to phrase "(un)holy bat shit!"
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

*Fewer deaths*
    Also *were.

;)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Thanks. Who's she?
    Someone on the Scottish government's advisory board. Imagine if Chris Whitty had said something like this?
  • Options
    Here in good old USA the el-cheapo channel is kicking off 4th of July celebrations by airing classic flick "Mr Roberts" staring Henry Fonda, Jimmy Cagney & Jack Lemmon. Funny and poignant, and great roles for all three; note that Cagney plays a character that is VERY different from his usual film persona. In another movie, he played Admiral Halsey - in "Mr Roberts" he also plays a naval commander, but with a BIG difference!
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

*Fewer deaths*
    Sounds like grave-digger's lament: "fewer deaths - less filling!"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:
    Remember it was people breaking the lockdown rules fleeing the plague capital for hideouts in Penzance, Portree and Penarth that first stirred all this anti-visitor sentiment ;)
  • Options
    SCOTUS issued ruling this past week limiting expanded absentee voting for upcoming July 14 Alabama runoff primary. Just to show that, though Roberts is willing & able to give Trumpsky the finger, he's still a team player for GOP. At least until Labor Day.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    More people voted at the 2016 presidential election than 2012 or 2008. (Not quite the same thing).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:
    Remember it was people breaking the lockdown rules fleeing the plague capital for hideouts in Penzance, Portree and Penarth that first stirred all this anti-visitor sentiment ;)
    Doesn't this "get (or rather stay) off my my lawn" sentiment show the political risks of trumpeting the need to "re-open the economy'? When people and communities heavily dependent on outsiders for their livelihood are saying (nicely or not) stay away!

Old saying is, age before beauty. Maybe new version is, health before economy.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    LadyG said:

Genuinely mystified.

To be fair, the film is extremely xenophobic.

Or is that xenomorphophobic? I forget.
  • Options
    David Cameron's maxim about Twitter becomes even more painfully accurate with every passing day.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

More people voted at the 2016 presidential election than 2012 or 2008. (Not quite the same thing).
    In some states & place, turnout differential benefits Republicans. BUT for the most part, higher turnout favors Democrats. Which is why Reps stress "voter security" while Dems focus on "voter protection".

Hilary's problem in 2016 was that she and her No-Brains Trust were obsessed with boosting Hispanic & especially Black turnout to Obama levels (and failed) while largely ignoring need to persuade older, blue-collar voters (in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania & Wisconsin) who were already perfect or near-perfect voters.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the fact that her typo describes unionists as nits,* I’m not sure that’s the most convincing of explanations.

*Although there is a certain neat symmetry in Nits and Nats.
  • Options
    So she still thinks that Unionists are angry that there are less deaths in Scotland? Bizarre.
  • Options

David Cameron's maxim about Twitter becomes even more painfully accurate with every passing day.
    Did she send out dumbass tweet herself, and then realized the error of her ways?

OR did some Holyrood govt apparatchik do the whole thing for her? Maybe some combination of the two?

My point is, these tweets are often issued by some functionary. Though sure that is mostly NOT the case re: our Tweeter-in-Chief.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

More people voted for Hillary than for Trump in 2016.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

It would be somewhat ironic if Bill Clinton finished his days in a Federal Penetentiary having notoriously ended his presidency by pardoning Marc Rich. You may recall Rich's notoriety was making the top spot as the USA's most wanted white collar criminal. I met Rich and his sidekick Pinky Green in their offices in Wigmore Street many decades ago.

Trump presumably can pardon himself.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I'm glad we're still not in the 90s anymore or someone could ask which country you were referring to there.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785
    Dundee infection rate has been minimal for a month - do try to keep up.
  • Options
    RobD said:

So she still thinks that Unionists are angry that there are less deaths in Scotland? Bizarre.
    Arguably it's good news for unionists - it shows the devolution works.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Dundee infection rate has been minimal for a month - do try to keep up.
    The city has the fourth highest rate of positive cases in the UK per 100,000 people, which has been attributed to a high volume of testing by NHS Tayside.

As testing in other areas has increased, the city continues to have one of the highest numbers of total cases.

Dundee has the highest rate in Scotland and fourth in the UK, behind only Merthyr Tydfil, Denbighshire, and Rhondda Cynon Taf – all in Wales.
  • Options
    I‘ve just spent a bizarre ten minutes trying to grab my neighbour’s pussy.

Er, that is, pussycat, which had decided to escape and run under my shed.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Republicans continue to try to rob people of their right to vote where they have control of the state legislature. Closing down polling stations in strong Democrat areas . They really are loathsome , headed by a psychopath and the most corrupt administration in the history of the USA.
This discussion has been closed.