Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Keiran Pedley Ipsos-MORI podcast: Assessing the Cons

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    LadyG said:

57,000 new cases in the US in one day

A record

Trump did campaign saying "I don't care how sick you are".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPQLYrCyd3Y
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

LadyG said:

57,000 new cases in the US in one day

A record

https://twitter.com/NewsNodes/status/1279171876728836096?s=20

What's happening with deaths? Keep hearing about surges in cases in the USA but not heard of surges in deaths yet.

Or is there any evidence COVID deaths are getting buried as something else?
    There is some evidence in Florida. "Pneumonia" deaths have ALLEGEDLY spiked

https://twitter.com/historyjudges/status/1279182055092305920?s=20

Otherwise, the theory is:

1. Deaths are a lagging indicator, wait a fortnight
    2. Those catching the bug are much younger, fitter (beaches, protests)
    3. Treatments are now much better, death is less likely
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,609

All this stuff about Trump somehow hanging on if he loses is nonsense: if he loses the election, he'll be a loser, and if he's seen as a loser everyone who currently supports him or is loyal to him will run a mile. No one is going to help him hang on. In fact it will turn out they never ever supported him in the first place.

For once great minds think alike!

BTW did PBers notice that presidential result was a tad close in 1960, 2000 and 2016? Yet power was transferred - away from the party in power - to candidate who ended up with the most electoral votes as scheduled on Inauguration Day.
    True, but in each of those years the incumbent President was not Donald John Trump.
    President has zilch to do with the actual election by the Electoral College. He doe not count the votes, that is done by joint session of Congress with Vice President presiding - Nixon in 1961, Gore in 2001, Biden in 2017
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Tomorrow could be absolute carnage I fear.

Damp squib with a couple of incidents blown up out of all proportion to appear to be carnage will by my bet.
    Story of every major incident breaching lockdown so far perhaps.
    Indeed. Like with the beaches, the parabolic images looked like crowds packed like sardines on the beach but overhead images of the same "crowds" showed people very spaced out.

So guess which images were used all the time? Then people wonder why there's no surge in cases despite the "crowds" . . .
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

Damp squib with a couple of incidents blown up out of all proportion to appear to be carnage will by my bet.
    Indeed. Like with the beaches, the parabolic images looked like crowds packed like sardines on the beach but overhead images of the same "crowds" showed people very spaced out.

So guess which images were used all the time? Then people wonder why there's no surge in cases despite the "crowds" . . .
    Have noticed that myself.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,695

All this stuff about Trump somehow hanging on if he loses is nonsense: if he loses the election, he'll be a loser, and if he's seen as a loser everyone who currently supports him or is loyal to him will run a mile. No one is going to help him hang on. In fact it will turn out they never ever supported him in the first place.

I wish I could believe that Richard but I can see a situation where "fake votes" becomes the Trumpsters' clarion call.
    Oh, I'm sure there will be lots of conspiracy theories on the internet. That doesn't matter - what matters is what the establishment (in the wide sense) does: judges, senators, House representatives, the Republican Party, the administration as a whole.
    I hope you're right.

What a boring few years we've had since 2015!
  • Options
    With Fauci predicting "100,000 new cases a day", America might be the first country to reach genuine herd immunity

Which would be painful, but advantageous
  • Options

I wish I could believe that Richard but I can see a situation where "fake votes" becomes the Trumpsters' clarion call.
    Oh, I'm sure there will be lots of conspiracy theories on the internet. That doesn't matter - what matters is what the establishment (in the wide sense) does: judges, senators, House representatives, the Republican Party, the administration as a whole.
    I hope you're right.

Good job we avoided the Chaos with Ed Milliband . . .
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,695

I hope you're right.

Good job we avoided the Chaos with Ed Milliband . . .
    :lol:
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

Have noticed that myself.
    Did you see my reply to you earlier linking to Clinton's introduction of daily televised press briefings in 1995?

These briefings continued on a daily basis through Clinton, 'Dubya' and Obama but were abolished by Trump.

So what does our media call them? 'Trump style'.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    What are the redskins going to be renamed as ?

Washington Americans works I reckon.
  • Options
    A losing Trumpsky successfully or even seriously contesting election result, is same order of probability as US Senate convicting him earlier this year = zero
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Pulpstar said:

When you have a chance, always go with an alliterative name I reckon. Like the Washington Whites. Shit.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,829
    LadyG said:

With Fauci predicting "100,000 new cases a day", America might be the first country to reach genuine herd immunity

US population is about 300 million.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

BTW did PBers notice that presidential result was a tad close in 1960, 2000 and 2016? Yet power was transferred - away from the party in power - to candidate who ended up with the most electoral votes as scheduled on Inauguration Day.
    True, but in each of those years the incumbent President was not Donald John Trump.
    President has zilch to do with the actual election by the Electoral College. He doe not count the votes, that is done by joint session of Congress with Vice President presiding - Nixon in 1961, Gore in 2001, Biden in 2017
    You know much more than I do regarding the mechanics of the Electoral College. However doesn't the fact that Trump owns the DOJ, the AG and the SC worry you?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

When you have a chance, always go with an alliterative name I reckon. Like the Washington Whites. Shit.
    Washington Waycists could work.
  • Options

LadyG said:

There is evidence the disease fades once it reaches 20% of the population.

America has 330m people. That means they need 65m to get it.

A week ago some estimated that 20m Americans already had the bug. So it's not an unreachable goal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53186075
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Too generic.

Sporing news suggest these option:

> Redtails
    > Warriors
    > Hogs or Redhogs
    > Redhawks
    > Senators (name of old baseball team)
    > Renegades
    > Defenders
    > Sentinels

And something called Odds Shark gives following odds

Presidents +300
    Generals +400
    Lincolns +400
    Americans +500
    Kings +500
    Memorials +500
    Capitols +600
    Veterans +600
    Jeffersons +700
    Roosevelts +700
    Monuments +800
    Arlingtons +1000

Personally think best of above are Redhawks and Presidents
  • Options

You know much more than I do regarding the mechanics of the Electoral College. However doesn't the fact that Trump owns the DOJ, the AG and the SC worry you?
    Trump does not own the SC. Which is why he keeps losing SC cases.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

A week ago some estimated that 20m Americans already had the bug. So it's not an unreachable goal

Can anyone win reelection with half a million dead?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited July 2020

isam said:

It will be carnage. I hope A&E is ready.

What will be interesting is whether the silent hound wakes up and clears its throat.

I wouldn't criticise the government for a lot - this has been an unprecedented situation - but choosing to open pubs on a Saturday? Why? It is obvious what is going to happen.

Perhaps the pubs that Boris is familiar with aren't quite the same as a town centre pub on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,709
    Goodbye to the 2 metre rule in England, (apart from Leicester).
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    Andy_JS said:

I think most people were done with that weeks ago mate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    LadyG said:

White City, London, tonight

https://twitter.com/999London/status/1279167593463635969?s=20

Sadiq Khan has lost control of the streets

Going to be a very long summer for the plod.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think most people were done with that weeks ago mate.
    Not in my area.
  • Options
    This incident in White City...I presume they will have to be renaming that place shortly, as clearly a racist name.
  • Options

isam said:

What will be interesting is whether the silent hound wakes up and clears its throat.

I wouldn't criticise the government for a lot, but opening on a Saturday? Why?

Perhaps the pubs that Boris is familiar with aren't quite the same as a town centre pub on a Saturday night.
    Why today?

Happy 4th of July! It's Independence Day!
  • Options

No. Because while AG Barr is indeed his pick, doubt even he would risk consequences of conniving with a coup. As for DOJ and SCOTUS, these entities are NOT owned by Trumpsky. Most of the career lawyers who staff DOJ hate the SOB worse than yours truly, and SCOTUS majority including Chief Justice are NOT in his hip pocket. Doubt even Thomas, Kavanaugh & Alito would go along; Gorsuch surely would NOT along with Roberts.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    LadyG said:

Alistair said:

LadyG said:

I missed this. Sweden is now accepting that they got it WRONG

Sweden's prime minister has ordered an inquiry into the country's decision not to impose a coronavirus lockdown after the country suffered thousands more deaths than its closest neighbours.

"We have thousands of dead," Swedish prime minister Stefan Lofven said at a press conference on Wednesday, while admitting that the country's handling had exposed Sweden's "shortcomings," The Times of London reported.

"Now the question is how Sweden should change, not if."

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-opens-inquiry-into-coronavirus-strategy-of-no-lockdown-2020-7?r=US&IR=T

Bizarre they should say that as their Covid ICU occupancy rate plunge. They seem to be over the worse of it by some distance.
    See my later comments.

I reckon the Swedish PM just HAS to say something like this, given the relatively high death toll. No politician could say "Wow we've done really good, only 5,000 corpses, top marks everyone"

So he sounds regretful and pensive.

As you say, in reality it is quite arguable that Sweden is doing OK, even quite good
    Not really. Compare them with their immediate neighbours and you can see just how terribly they have done. They have a death rate 5 times that of Denmark, 9 times that of Finland and 12 times that of Norway.

Their infection rate per million people is 60% higher than the UKs.
  • Options

isam said:

Makes sense to open on a Saturday for social distancing reasons.

Open on a weekday or a Friday and you'd see everyone piling in just after 5pm. Open on a Saturday and people can come in throughout the day.

And yes the overwhelming majority of pubs across the entire country are not 'town centre carnage' bars. Town centre carnage bars are the slim, slim attention seeking minority.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Washington Wokes?
  • Options

No. Because while AG Barr is indeed his pick, doubt even he would risk consequences of conniving with a coup. As for DOJ and SCOTUS, these entities are NOT owned by Trumpsky. Most of the career lawyers who staff DOJ hate the SOB worse than yours truly, and SCOTUS majority including Chief Justice are NOT in his hip pocket. Doubt even Thomas, Kavanaugh & Alito would go along; Gorsuch surely would NOT along with Roberts.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Washington Wokes?
    IF they want to mystify 99.999999999999% of Americans
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664

No, the SC is very much the weakest part of the scenario, which relies on them throwing the issue to the House of Representatives.
    Which is highly unlikely.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Washington Wolverines ?

Tho it is the name of MI college team..
  • Options

isam said:

Open on a weekday or a Friday and you'd see everyone piling in just after 5pm. Open on a Saturday and people can come in throughout the day.

And yes the overwhelming majority of pubs across the entire country are not 'town centre carnage' bars. Town centre carnage bars are the slim, slim attention seeking minority.
    Set your alarm for 6 am, and we'll see how it shakes down!
  • Options
    "pubs that Boris is familiar with"

Watering holes where patrons are expected - indeed encouraged - to eat the glassware.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited July 2020

isam said:

Perhaps I just live in the wrong neighbourhood.

I thought Sunday might have been a better day, though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Washington Wolverines ?

Not bad! BTW, their current major league baseball team is Washington Nationals, no doubt result of some serious market research.

Which in turn suggests Washington Federals, which in fact was name of US Football League (defunct) team.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,829

Time for bed. AG Barr are the producers of Irn Bru and the above post befuddled me for a minute.
  • Options

Time for bed. AG Barr are the producers of Irn Bru and the above post befuddled me for a minute.
    Are you frequently befuddled? IF you frequently imbibe the Scot's tonic, no doubt!
  • Options

An orange and acidic confection? Sounds more like Mr Trump than Bill Barr.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,020
    Well I’m off to the pub tomorrow. Dunno about you lot?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Lincoln..
  • Options
    edited July 2020

isam said:

Set your alarm for 6 am, and we'll see how it shakes down!
    No need, I'm quite convinced 99% will go off without an issue - and equally convinced the media and your good self will whinge and whinge and share Twitter videos of whichever odd ones out act like prats.

Good luck to Miss Cyclefree Jr if she is opening up tomorrow and anyone else in the industry in the same position. That's what being allowed to open really means, not pissheads getting into fights.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Lincoln..
    FDR too

Maybe not actually ...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Andy_JS said:

France has a new prime minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Castex

A member of Les Republicains until this year, a clear sign Macron is reaching out to middle class centre right voters to take on Le Pen, who is mainly backed by blue collar voters, ahead of his 2022 re election battle
  • Options
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2020

This is the scariest political article I have seen in a long time.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-could-lose-election-still-remain-president-opinion-1513975

There's a real worry now that Biden needs to win by an absolute landslide to have a hope of actually becoming POTUS.

Romney should run for president in Utah, apparently the House of Representatives has to choose between the top 3 electoral college vote holders, it gets flipped to a near-50/50 House then he could come through as the compromise candidate.
  • Options

Few friends round, enjoy the pub :)
  • Options
    One of Ghislaine Maxwell's friends says she 'won't sell Prince Andrew out'...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/03/exclusive-ghislaine-maxwell-wont-sell-prince-andrew/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,976

Enjoy it, sir!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    This is why worrying about pub violence is absurd. People who want to get wasted will with or without pubs. Is it a wonder after months of pubs being shut we get reports of bloc parties every single weekend?
  • Options
    Funny how the media are really really really concerned about the prospect that this event could spread covid, but never worried about all those other bigger ones that went on for days and now in states that had massive rise in cases.

BBC News - Mount Rushmore: Trump to host 4 July event despite virus concerns
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53284607
  • Options

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/03/exclusive-ghislaine-maxwell-wont-sell-prince-andrew/

How in God's name they were allowed to sit on the thrones is beyond me.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Enjoy it, sir!
    Thanks. The humid, muggy conditions imply a pint of lager. But it’s got to be a cask ale after all these weeks and months.

It’s amazing, isn’t it? The best things in life are either free or not very much money,

England is pubs.
  • Options
    Protests are going on at Mount Rushmore.

https://twitter.com/EEBormett/status/1279194435742502913
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    This is why worrying about pub violence is absurd. People who want to get wasted will with or without pubs. Is it a wonder after months of pubs being shut we get reports of bloc parties every single weekend?
    Exactly right. Hoping tomorrow goes off well. It’s still the stuff of science fiction that England - England! - should close its pubs for three months. A script so farfetched no studio would ever accept it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Enjoy it, sir!
    Thanks. The humid, muggy conditions imply a pint of lager. But it’s got to be a cask ale after all these weeks and months.

It’s amazing, isn’t it? The best things in life are either free or not very much money,

England is pubs.
    Especially at a pub out in the country, in the high summer. Nothing beats it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Few friends round, enjoy the pub :)
    Cheers sir.
  • Options
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    Pulpstar said:

Washington Wolverines ?

Or a relative of the wolverine, the Washington Weasels.

Maybe the Washington Lockdowns?
  • Options

Funny how the media are really really really concerned about the prospect that this event could spread covid, but never worried about all those other bigger ones that went on for days and now in states that had massive rise in cases.

I'm not aware of any bigger or even comparable events being organised by someone who is running to be President.

I don't think Joe Biden has been doing these style of events.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Famous last words. You have NOT lived until prosecutors have you well and true by the short and curlies. And it's the toughest talkers who tend to squeal the loudest to save their own sorry asses.

But we shall see.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

RobD said:

Famous last words. You have NOT lived until prosecutors have you well and true by the short and curlies. And it's the toughest talkers who tend to squeal the loudest to save their own sorry asses.

But we shall see.
    Can you abdicate from a Dukedom? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I'm not aware of any bigger or even comparable events being organised by someone who is running to be President.

You know i was obviously talking about BLM ones, that at every turn the media tried to claim no issues with covid, despite 10,000s of people huddled together screaming and shouting for hours on end inbetween hacking their guts up when the tear gas starts raining down.

And of course, putting NYC aside, the size and number of protests match the states seeing large increases in covid.

You can't have it both ways, some mass outdoor events, good, others bad. Its a massive double standard in their reporting.

You are either of the opinion outdoor events with no social distancing or are so low risk not to worry about them or that they are a risk.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

But we shall see.
    Can you abdicate from a Dukedom? Asking for a friend.
    Based on quickie research, appears that it might require a Bill of Attainder, which is expressly forbidden by US constitution but apparently still good to go in UK. But my guess is, it would be possible otherwise IF the monarch so wishes, as part of crown perogative powers.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

You know i was obviously talking about BLM ones, that at every turn the media tried to claim no issues with covid, despite 10,000s of people huddled together screaming and shouting for hours on end inbetween hacking their guts up when the tear gas starts raining down.

And of course, putting NYC aside, the size and number of protests match the states seeing large increases in covid.

You can't have it both ways, some mass outdoor events, good, others bad. Its a massive double standard in their reporting.

You are either of the opinion outdoor events with no social distancing or are so low risk not to worry about them or that they are a risk.
    Or maybe if those protestors get it no one cares they just consider it evolution in action?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    Mimus said:

Pulpstar said:

Washington Wolverines ?

Or a relative of the wolverine, the Washington Weasels.

Maybe the Washington Lockdowns?
    Washington Swamp Rats.

Not easily drained.
  • Options
    "Can you abdicate from a Dukedom? Asking for a friend."

Tell Andy to go fuck himself. THEN come clean - and take what you deserve like a man.
  • Options
    From NY Post July 3, op ed by Elie Honig, former prosecutor, US Southern District of New York:

Maxwell is now in an extraordinarily tough spot. The conduct charged in the indictment -- including sexual exploitation and abuse of girls as young as 14 -- is abhorrent and likely will evoke zero sympathy from prosecutors, jury or judge. The evidence looks overwhelming including...Maxwell's own damning false statements made under oath during a 2016 deposition. Maxwell, who is 58 years old, faces multiple charges that carry maximum sentences totaling 35 years.

...Maxwell has three primary choices. First, she can fight the case. But the vast majority of federal cases -- well over 90% -- result in convictions...

Second, she can try to work out a plea deal with the SDNY where she admits guilt, does not testify against others, and receives a somewhat lower sentence than if she was convicted at trial. But if I was back at the SDNY, where I worked for eight years, I would have no interest in giving any plea deal to an alleged child predator like Maxwell without requiring that person's cooperation in bringing other possible co-conspirators to justice.

Which brings us to the third option: Maxwell could try to cooperate with the SDNY to save herself and minimize her potential sentence. The SDNY requires potential cooperators to come clean about everything they know -- every crime the cooperator herself has committed, plus any crimes committed by others. If Maxwell does cooperate successfully, she stands the best chance of getting herself a substantially reduced sentence.

And if Maxwell goes that cooperation route, then anyone else who participated in Epstein's sex trafficking ring should not sleep easy.

We do not yet know who else might be in the SDNY's sights, but prosecutors did drop a tantalizing clue by staffing the case out of the Office's Public Corruption Unit (as it did with the original case against Epstein). I did sex trafficking cases when I was with the SDNY, and I know that these cases typically would be handled by the Violent and Organized Crime Unit (which includes the Human Trafficking Coordinators), not the Public Corruption Unit -- unless the case carried potential to implicate public officials.
  • Options
    @SeaShantyIrish2 you seem to have a strange obsession with this case.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    RobD said:

It's potentially a big deal, depending who's in the book
  • Options
    No more than most. What got me started was raft of conspiracy theory based on speculation as opposed to research.

SO you do NOT think this is a big deal? The Queen's bouncing baby boy and other very prominent individuals, including former US prosecutor, potentially, allegedly, innocent-until-proven-guiltily, being criminally investigated as co-conspirator in child abuse & sex trafficking?

As far as royal family is concerned, nothing like it since Duke of Cumberland, brother of George IV & William IV and future King of Hanover, was accused of murdering his valet.

• Options
    In assessing likelihood of La Maxwell singing like a canary, methinks that Daily Telegraph would serve readers better by interviewing former NYSD prosecutors (BTW the one below was quoted from CNN, not NY Post- sorry) than the wretched woman's socialite pals. Just sayin'
  • Options

RobD said:

It's potentially a big deal, depending who's in the book
    Books, plural. PLUS Maxwell knows things - and names - that are not written down
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    A 269-269 tie is an unusually high probability this year IMO. It happens if Biden picks up Arizona, Wisconsin and Michigan, but fails to take Pennsylvania. Obviously it's still very unlikely but more likely than at previous elections.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

Every time I see Bill Barr written down I think of Bill Burr, who’s someone very different, and much funnier.
  • Options
    One last (for now) re: La Maxwell & etc.

Much as it saddens yours truly, reckon the real target of current investigation is not His Foul Lowness. Nor is it a former or current president.

Instead, the biggest fish for prosecutors may be Alexander Acosta, former US District Attorney for Southern District of Florida:

Miami Herald (which broke original Epstein story) July 3

“If I was Alexander Acosta today, I would be having a very lousy weekend,’’ said Frank Figliuzzi, a former FBI assistant director.

“This case is not over. I’ve supervised these kinds of cases in big cities and I’ve never seen public corruption prosecutors involved and if they are still in it, there is a reason for it.’’

Acosta, who resigned last year shortly after Epstein’s arrest, would be someone that public corruption prosecutors would be looking at, he said.

“Because of the lenient posture that Acosta took with Epstein, it begs the question as to why he chose to go lightly on Epstein, and that question, and at what level and for whom he was doing this for — is likely the subject matter of investigation.’’

• Options
    Just one more - note last para "for whom he (Acosta) was doing this for".

Epstein? OR somebody else? Note he was a Republican appointee (by Cheney--Bush administration) as US attorney. And was appointed US Labor Secretary by . . . guess who.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Every time I see Bill Barr written down I think of Bill Burr, who’s someone very different, and much funnier.
    Bill Bar(r) = new MAGA candy treat made from slave trade chocolate, rancid peanut butter and recycled chicken shit.
  • Options
    NEWS FLASH - Kimberly Guilfoyle, fundraiser for Trump campaign and Donald Trump, Jr's girlfriend, has tested positive for COVID-19 after traveling to South Dakota - NOT in Air Force One - to attend the President's rally & fireworks (both kinds). She is third and latest person in potential proximity to Trumpsky testing positive. I truly feel sorry for her, wouldn't wish the Crud on ANYONE.
  • Options
    OK, gonna turn in early - it's not yet 8pm my location - but one question (for PB bookies)

What are the odds that President Trump will campaign in Mississippi AGAINST referendum to remove the Confederate battle flag from the state flag?

Personally would reckon slightly less than 50-50 mainly because even Trumpsky must realize campaigning in MS is waste of time - he got 99.46% of winning it, and IF he doesn't, well, it won't matter. Cause in that case, states he carries will b be countable on one hand.
  • Options
    "The world is not experiencing a second wave: it never got over the first"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/07/04/covid-19-is-here-to-stay-people-will-have-to-adapt
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The world is not experiencing a second wave: it never got over the first"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/07/04/covid-19-is-here-to-stay-people-will-have-to-adapt

Same as Spanish Inflluenza pandemic, or close enough.
  • Options
    Have been lying in bed listening to the Ipsos Mori Podcast posted by Mike, as well as another focusing on Keir Starmer & Labour Party. Very informative and of definite interest to most PBers.,
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,034
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

OK, gonna turn in early - it's not yet 8pm my location - but one question (for PB bookies)

What are the odds that President Trump will campaign in Mississippi AGAINST referendum to remove the Confederate battle flag from the state flag?

Personally would reckon slightly less than 50-50 mainly because even Trumpsky must realize campaigning in MS is waste of time - he got 99.46% of winning it, and IF he doesn't, well, it won't matter. Cause in that case, states he carries will b be countable on one hand.

No. It will not help his reelection chances and because Trump is a New Yorker (well, Florida maybe now) it is unlikely he feels any great personal stake in this issue. (As an aside, I'd imagine education publishers will see any change in state flags as a chance to sell updated charts to American schools.)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,034

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Charities 'still waiting on £100m raised by Captain Tom Moore and Clap for Carers'

Cash raised by Captain Tom Moore and Clap for Carers has not made its way to the good causes it was supposed to help, it is claimed.

Charities claim NHS Charities Together has denied access to 80% of the money raised by the public to help the NHS get through the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/charities-still-waiting-100m-raised-22297975.amp

This is what happens when you don’t fund healthcare properly through general taxation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

.I will confess to a degree of overreach on the question of Unionism. Joseph Chamberlain opposed Irish Home Rule and that was the main reason he split from Gladstone and the Liberals in the mid 1880s and of course Churchill's opposition to any change in India's political status was a big part of his journey from the Liberals to the Conservatives.

Sorry Stodge, but that comment on Churchill is still utter bollocks. Churchill was never a Liberal Unionist, to start with. He stood as an avowed Conservative in Oldham, before defecting to the Liberals in 1904.

Secondly, he left the Liberals long before any issues with India came to the fore. He broke with Asquith over WW1 and Lloyd George over Labour. Although he stood as a candidate in Leicester in 1922 with Liberal backing, he had effectively abandoned the party and by 1924 he was standing as an Independent with Unionist backing in Windsor, as an anti-Labour candidate. He was then appointed Chancellor and rejoined the Tories the following year. His ‘move away’ from Liberalism was due to his gradual realisation that Liberal economic theory had failed, and by 1929 he was willing to consider tariffs. It wasn’t until 1930-31 that his increasingly shrill and hysterical statements about Gandhi led Baldwin to conclude he had lost his mind and exclude him from the inner circle. It was after the end of his journey, not a big part of it.

As for Cummings being a radical, if a nihilist is a radical, he’s radical. But really he’s just a man of no sense and great arrogance failing spectacularly at anything more complex than empty sloganising.

As I said yesterday, it’s lovely to see people taking an interest in history, but a little research might have helped here.
    A minor point of correction. In 1922 Churchill was actually defeated at Dundee as a Coalition Liberal. He stood the following year as Liberal candidate for Leicester - and lost again.
    Yes, typing error. Although he wasn’t exactly a LIberal in the 1923 election.
  • Options

No. It will not help his reelection chances and because Trump is a New Yorker (well, Florida maybe now) it is unlikely he feels any great personal stake in this issue. (As an aside, I'd imagine education publishers will see any change in state flags as a chance to sell updated charts to American schools.)
    Trumps stake would be in rallying the base (in more ways than one) of his base by wrapping himself in the Confederate flag. After all, it's a symbol for big swath Old America, White America, Rural America (popular or at least seen in many rural areas west of the Mississippi River and north of the Mason-Dixon line. All part of his double-down strategy.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Anyone fancy a pint or 14?
  • Options

Charities 'still waiting on £100m raised by Captain Tom Moore and Clap for Carers'

Cash raised by Captain Tom Moore and Clap for Carers has not made its way to the good causes it was supposed to help, it is claimed.

Charities claim NHS Charities Together has denied access to 80% of the money raised by the public to help the NHS get through the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/charities-still-waiting-100m-raised-22297975.amp

This is what happens when you don’t fund healthcare properly through general taxation.

At least it has NOT taken a one-way trip to Lagos or St Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) like large chunks of unemployment disbursements in WA and other US states during the pandemic.
  • Options
    Clap for Carers - truly a great cause, but phrase open to a problematic & most unkind interpretation.

Food for thought for PBers over-stimulated by "gang-bangers".
This discussion has been closed.