Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day the Premiership returns the big political story is

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

So - any news on pubs/restaurants opening?

No.

This is beyond pathetic. People are trying to plan. They have nothing to plan with. Breweries don’t know whether to start brewing. The grants are running out. Landlords are demanding rent. Furlough is running out. Costs are continuing. Losses continue to be made.

If July 4 is the date bloody tell us. If it isn’t also bloody tell us.

Long chat with Daughter last night and she is in despair. Her last throw of the dice is a GoFundMe appeal to see if that will help. If it doesn’t then she will be closing the doors for the last time, to add to the steady drip drip announcements round here of redundancies. There are families round here where both breadwinners are facing unemployment. Even Sellafield is cutting jobs.

Meanwhile the government’s big announcement is about DiFiD. FFS!

To be fair this is following the same timetabling system as previous lockdown lifts. The date has been announced as July 4 but subject to confirmation closer to the date depending upon the data closer to the date.

Final confirmation likely won't come in until days before - the equivalent date for shops was announced weeks ago but the final confirmation for shops being able to open on the announced date only came a few days before the opening.

Plan for July 4 is the statement as it stands.
    Pubs and the like cannot open on the basis of knowing a few days before. It takes 2 -3 weeks to get ready, to get stock in, etc. It’s not just a question of turning up and switching on the lights. And getting ready costs money, money which most don’t have. And if the date is delayed, then some of that money is wasted and cannot be recovered.

FFS! I wish all those opining on this actually took the trouble to find out what it is like having to run a business like this, what is actually needed. There is little or no guidance available specific to this sector. Every decision costs money. The uncertainty is killing businesses which might otherwise have a chance.

These places and all those that depend on them are on a knife edge. Quite a few are not even going to make it to July. The government does not have a clue about what is involved, is not bothering to listen to those who do and is just pratting about.

All the news locally here is about redundancies. “Levelling up”? What a fucking joke.
    It’s a nightmare for everyone, including those who want to make a decision once and be able to stick by it, not have to close things again later. Government and health authorities are going to be watching closely for any spike as a result of retail opening.

There’s going to be a point where a decision is firmly made, and everyone moves quickly after that point. The point about notice is valid, but the decision date is going to be the same in both cases - would you daughter prefer to be told on 1st July that she can open on 4th July, or be told on 1st July that she can open on 1st August?
    Precisely.

A decision will only be able to be made on around 1 July either way when the data comes in following the prior stage on lockdown unwind that only took effect the day before yesterday.

Businesses have been given the date to plan for opening from 4 July but no guarantee. If they want a guarantee they can wait until 1 August but then a very valuable summer month of trade will be lost.

It's easy to want a good, right decision. There are no good, right decisions here that avoid harm.

Either have more uncertainty but potentially open for more of the summer or lose the uncertainty but lose the summer. I suspect losing the summer, losing July's trade, would be far more damaging. May and June have already been lost and that isn't coming back. Why guarantee losing July too?
    July 4th is the earliest date. Nothing stopping anyone opening July 11th if they need some guaranteed notice and preparation time.
    Silly me. Of course. Businesses that have had little or no income since mid-March while costs continue can afford to wait, while losing money and trying to find extra money for all the Covid safe measures they need to pay for, even though they haven’t been told about them yet.

For crying out loud. There is enough uncertainty as there is because of the virus. The government have one job - not to add to that by prattling about talking out of their arse. If they can’t give a date or have to wait for evidence then say so and provide continuing support which takes into account the nature of this sector. Instead of which they are withdrawing support and seem utterly clueless about the nature of the sector.

Because of course foreign aid is exactly what people here have been worrying about since March.

You seem to want both a swift decision, early opening and time certainty to plan. Do you understand those are contradictory aims? The government can either announce that businesses can open and give time and space for certainty, or they can get businesses opened up as soon as possible?

They have said they can't give a date. They have said they are waiting for evidence. They have said they are continuing support until October. They have said this sector in particular is getting some of its support kept until next year already.

If the decision can't be made until 1 July then which would you prefer of the following two options:

Government announces on 1 July whether or not pubs can open from 1 August with certainty and time to get stuff arranged attached to the decision.

Government announces on 1 July whether or not pubs can open from 4 July with no time for certainty and planning but businesses able to open ASAP when they are ready?
    Can you give me a solitary good reason why pubs with gardens can't open now, given that we have thousands of people every day wandering around air-conditioned hellholes like Primark and TK Maxx?
    No. I've said beer gardens should be open now.

Any other questions?
    Not for now.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    Good old knockabout at PMQs.

Could be a draw at this rate.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Correction: started well. Getting in to quoting letters now. And sounding peevish.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

This is beyond pathetic. People are trying to plan. They have nothing to plan with. Breweries don’t know whether to start brewing. The grants are running out. Landlords are demanding rent. Furlough is running out. Costs are continuing. Losses continue to be made.

Long chat with Daughter last night and she is in despair. Her last throw of the dice is a GoFundMe appeal to see if that will help. If it doesn’t then she will be closing the doors for the last time, to add to the steady drip drip announcements round here of redundancies. There are families round here where both breadwinners are facing unemployment. Even Sellafield is cutting jobs.

To be fair this is following the same timetabling system as previous lockdown lifts. The date has been announced as July 4 but subject to confirmation closer to the date depending upon the data closer to the date.

Final confirmation likely won't come in until days before - the equivalent date for shops was announced weeks ago but the final confirmation for shops being able to open on the announced date only came a few days before the opening.

Pubs and the like cannot open on the basis of knowing a few days before. It takes 2 -3 weeks to get ready, to get stock in, etc. It’s not just a question of turning up and switching on the lights. And getting ready costs money, money which most don’t have. And if the date is delayed, then some of that money is wasted and cannot be recovered.

FFS! I wish all those opining on this actually took the trouble to find out what it is like having to run a business like this, what is actually needed. There is little or no guidance available specific to this sector. Every decision costs money. The uncertainty is killing businesses which might otherwise have a chance.

These places and all those that depend on them are on a knife edge. Quite a few are not even going to make it to July. The government does not have a clue about what is involved, is not bothering to listen to those who do and is just pratting about.

All the news locally here is about redundancies. “Levelling up”? What a fucking joke.
    It’s a nightmare for everyone, including those who want to make a decision once and be able to stick by it, not have to close things again later. Government and health authorities are going to be watching closely for any spike as a result of retail opening.

There’s going to be a point where a decision is firmly made, and everyone moves quickly after that point. The point about notice is valid, but the decision date is going to be the same in both cases - would you daughter prefer to be told on 1st July that she can open on 4th July, or be told on 1st July that she can open on 1st August?
    Precisely.

A decision will only be able to be made on around 1 July either way when the data comes in following the prior stage on lockdown unwind that only took effect the day before yesterday.

Businesses have been given the date to plan for opening from 4 July but no guarantee. If they want a guarantee they can wait until 1 August but then a very valuable summer month of trade will be lost.

It's easy to want a good, right decision. There are no good, right decisions here that avoid harm.

Either have more uncertainty but potentially open for more of the summer or lose the uncertainty but lose the summer. I suspect losing the summer, losing July's trade, would be far more damaging. May and June have already been lost and that isn't coming back. Why guarantee losing July too?
    July 4th is the earliest date. Nothing stopping anyone opening July 11th if they need some guaranteed notice and preparation time.
    Silly me. Of course. Businesses that have had little or no income since mid-March while costs continue can afford to wait, while losing money and trying to find extra money for all the Covid safe measures they need to pay for, even though they haven’t been told about them yet.

For crying out loud. There is enough uncertainty as there is because of the virus. The government have one job - not to add to that by prattling about talking out of their arse. If they can’t give a date or have to wait for evidence then say so and provide continuing support which takes into account the nature of this sector. Instead of which they are withdrawing support and seem utterly clueless about the nature of the sector.

Because of course foreign aid is exactly what people here have been worrying about since March.

I can fully understand the frustration but it seems to me that you are asking the government to remove uncertainty in a period of great uncertainty. Its just not possible. They are anxiously watching the figures to see if opening the schools and the shops increases the infection rate. They are trying to reach a view on whether 1m is safe enough, something that will have an enormous impact on the viability of your daughter's business, they are still scrabbling around trying to build a test and trace capacity (arguably the worst single failure to date) and don't know when its going to be effective.

My son's school reaches the end of term this week. In August they are going to have all their pupils that want to come (a WFH option is being offered). They are planning this on the basis of 2m separation, 1m separation and back to normal. It must be a nightmare for them but they are having to plan for all options. Unfortunately many businesses will have to do the same.
    The children won't be going back until September – the idea of their opening over the summer is for the birds.
    Scottish kids come off this week or next and go back in August. I am not suggesting that Schools should be open in the summer.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Starmer refuses to support going back to school
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    Johnson certainly seems to have more energy than of late.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Starmer good today.

Started well. Lost it a bit on the U turn stuff. Boris is all over the place to be honest.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Starmer refuses to support going back to school

Starmer - like all LAB - wants people to stay at home, on benefits forever.
  • Options

Starmer in trouble over the school question
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

As a beneficiary of the triple lock, I support its suspension - the virus is a reasonable excuse. I'd be content with simply inflation adjustment.

On another front, this deserves more attention - it includes all the major county councils:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/17/conservative-councils-warn-covid-19-second-wave-could-lead-to-bankruptcies

The "triple lock" is a con. You realise that the basic state pension would be higher now if the Conservatives had persisted with the system of pension uprating it inherited from the previous Labour Government?

The 2.5% minimum increase was there under Labour. Osborne swapped the RPI for CPI which is a lot lower. Often in the past decade RPI has exceeded 2.5% whereas CPI has struggled to do so. Osborne also reinstated the link to average earnings at a point when he knew that the recession he was engineering would lead to depressed real wage growth, which greatly devalued the earnings link.
    Yes, it was a short-term con, for exactly those reasons - typical of political short-termism. In the longer term it tends to increase the GDP share of all pensioners, though, and right now I accept that's not a priority. It'd be better to focus support on people with no other significant income.
    To be clear, if the UK had kept the previous system brought in by Brown, that is the higher of 2.5% or RPI only, the GDP share of pensioners would have gone up more. Over the past decadee, the switch to CPI in 2011 has devalued the state pension more than the earnings link has added to it.

I don't deny the fact that todays pensioners have higher incomes than their predecessors, relative to the population in general. Two factors will I think contribute to that:
    1. Significant additional benefits outside of the main state pension, such as pension credits and the winter fuel allowance.
    2. Pensioners retiring today are more likely than their predecessors to have a private pension rather being reliant mainly on the state pension. Today's private pension scheme benefits were in the main accrued before schemes were revised to make them less generous, so the squeeze on private pension schemes of the last decade or so won't yet have had much effect on current pensioners.
    We pay tax on those private pensions though. Am about to do my Annual Return.

Yes I know I don't have to until later in the year, but I'd rather get it dealt with. My bank will pay such payments when I tell them to!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    βοῦς ἐπὶ γλώσσῃ μέγας
    βέβηκεν!

Love Boris! :lol:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

Mr. Pete, I can't see him ever resigning, but the PCP are surprisingly happy to rebel against the Government line so an internal challenge is certainly possible.

The Conservative Party are notoriously ruthless when it comes to failing leaders, but that is still early days for Johnson. MPs are still gratified by his performance at the GE.

Johnson transcends scandal. The personal life car crashes, the zip wire and complicity in a punishment beating conspiracy would each do for anyone else. Boris could be exposed as Jack the Ripper's getaway driver and his career would be safe.
    But there will come a tipping point as the weakness of character and the void where intellectual grip and sense of purpose would preferably reside is increasingly revealed to even the most casual observer.

We're not there yet but we might be closer to it than his more ardent supporters suppose. It can happen quite swiftly - a collective awakening to the truth - and when it does there is no nodding off again. The debagging of Donald Trump in the last few weeks is a useful template for what I mean.
    If you are indeed right, I suspect it will be something mundane like more Rashford-type issues rather than a full blown scandal.
    Yes, drip drip drip leading eventually to terminal damage. I agree with you about a big scandal. Unlikely to happen and even if it did Johnson has the antibodies.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

But he's right that it's PMQs, not opposition leader questions.
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Starmer will not support children going back to school
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

I can fully understand the frustration but it seems to me that you are asking the government to remove uncertainty in a period of great uncertainty. Its just not possible. They are anxiously watching the figures to see if opening the schools and the shops increases the infection rate. They are trying to reach a view on whether 1m is safe enough, something that will have an enormous impact on the viability of your daughter's business, they are still scrabbling around trying to build a test and trace capacity (arguably the worst single failure to date) and don't know when its going to be effective.

My son's school reaches the end of term this week. In August they are going to have all their pupils that want to come (a WFH option is being offered). They are planning this on the basis of 2m separation, 1m separation and back to normal. It must be a nightmare for them but they are having to plan for all options. Unfortunately many businesses will have to do the same.
    The children won't be going back until September – the idea of their opening over the summer is for the birds.
    Scottish kids come off this week or next and go back in August. I am not suggesting that Schools should be open in the summer.
    Didn't realise that, sorry. Must make for an insanely long 'autumn' term.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,277
    RobD said:

RobD said:

There's a bit in there about how some "left jobs for this". How does that work? I thought student nurses were, you know, students.
    Many students have jobs to be fair.
    Which they willingly left for a six month contract. What's the outrage?
    I think the suggestion is that the contract is being terminated after something like 4 months, rather than 6.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

Isn't that when Scottish schools normally go back after the summer. I recall being on holiday in the Canaries some years ago in early July and there being Scottish schoolchildren about.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Boris floored by final question. He was winning till then.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It does not really matter, it is the image it provides of a leader of the opposition rightly highlighting child poverty but refusing to support children going to school
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,249
    It is an odd sign that Johnson wants to answer a completely different set of questions. Starmer should have batted it away better than he has done - he isn't flexible enough. Johnson just responds to any question on any subject as "ah your stance on schools". Reminds me of Cameron always trying to pivot any question onto the NHS in Wales...
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Fast and effective track/trace/isolate is the single best way to control any pandemic, and we've known that for many, many decades.
    That we still don't have a fully functional system is simply unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/profchrisham/status/1273141495260942337

"The" government? Or PHE?

And how have the devolved administrations fared by comparison?

The buck still stops with the governmentS but I fear they have been poorly advised.
    PHE is clearly crap - and that is the fault of successive governments over the last decade.
    But contact tracing is basic stuff. It didn't have to wait for any particularly level of testing capacity, or indeed any particular test; a system could have been set up as soon as the pandemic was declared a pandemic.
    Instead, we gave up early on, and sat on our hands for a couple of months.

I'd agree that Hancock has most likely had some fairly poor advice on public health - and that is likely a contributory factor to the care homes debacle.
    But neither of those things are rocket science. If I can understand them the bloody health secretary should be able to do so - or he shouldn't be health secretary.
    To me, the focus on an "app" - which is now clearly "not appening" - was a distraction too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,120

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

Didn't realise that, sorry. Must make for an insanely long 'autumn' term.
    Tattie howking week (it may be longer now) in the middle.
  • Options
    Blackford being a dickhead again.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

It's amusing to see that there have been lots of comments on the triple lock, and as far as I can see not one of those criticising it or calling it a 'Conservative con' has remembered either that it was a LibDem policy, or that the Conservatives under May were planning to drop it but Labour were planning to keep it:

https://labourlist.org/2017/05/corbyn-vows-to-change-the-law-to-protect-pensioner-incomes/

It was actually a very good policy at the time Clegg proposed it: pensioner income had fallen heavily behind wages, and pensioner poverty was a real problem (and as has been pointed out, UK state pensions are still not exactly generous). However, mathematically it is not sustainable over a long period. It should be ditched, and the current circumstances are a good excuse to do so.

Brown had committed in a White Paper to bringing in the earnings link, with a target date of 2012. The "Conservative con" was to switch from RPI to CPI and then to pretend that their new scheme with the earnings link and CPI was more generous than the old. I'll give you "Conservative-LD con" if you want to add Clegg into the mix.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Somethings never change
  • Options

RobD said:

It does not really matter, it is the image it provides of a leader of the opposition rightly highlighting child poverty but refusing to support children going to school
    Agree with that. He's absolutely right to hurl "its PMQs" back at Johnson. But someone like Blair would have disarmed the question the first time out. That was literally ALL Shagger had as an attack line. We saw him flail at the end, if Starmer was faster on his feet he could have had him flailing throughout.

What did I takeaway though - Johnson literally clueless about what is happening within his government on any other subject than "ah but schools".
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

Isn't that when Scottish schools normally go back after the summer. I recall being on holiday in the Canaries some years ago in early July and there being Scottish schoolchildren about.
    Yes. We normally look to go on holiday the day the schools come off (Friday) so we can have a holiday before the English drive up the prices. No holiday this year (or next) but yes, the dates have not changed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Somethings never change
    Angus Robertson a big loss to the SNP
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    DavidL said:

Blackford’s a dickhead, as usual.

FTFY :smile:
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Ave_it said:

Let's have Angela Rayner as LAB leader!

I do like Rayner. You can just tell she despises tories to the very core of her being.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

On my country walks. I've come across pubs that are effectively open. They offer a takeaway service, and people use the beer gardens. I don't know if that's an option for your daughter.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

DavidL said:

Suspect a suspension for one year due to this technical anomaly wont be too damaging politically.

As long as it is clear it is restored the following year.

It would need to be a two year suspension.
    How so?
    Because its a two-year effect that the anomaly runs for.

In the first year there is a major drop in wages, triple lock ensures a 2.5% rise in pensions.
    In the second year there is a major increase in wages (but really a reversion), triple lock ensures a major increase in pensions.

To deal with the anomaly the lock needs to be suspended for two years, to cover both the fall and return back to where it was.
    If, in general, you have a 2.5% floor to annual increases in the state pension then I see no reason why it wouldn't apply this year.

It's only the artificial wage increase from furlough that needs addressing.
    Can we have a 2.5% floor to public sector pay rises? No, its done off what we can afford and what is fair. The same should apply to the pension.
    Sure, but that's a decision that applies to every year, not just to years where the pay figures are distorted by furlough.
    In normal years where there is wage growth and inflation the difference between those and 2.5% is not that big.

In a year where wage for many is down 20% that is unprecedentedly massive.

The triple lock should be abolished for 2 years, this year and next year. After that it should be reviewed based upon the finances at the time.
    The Triple lock should be abolished for all time. It was an immoral bribe in the time of austerity when real wages were falling for an extended period and it is completely unaffordable now. Enough.
    Agreed
    Inflation is 0.5%

As a pensioner couple, to apply 2.5% increase next year is just wrong and the triple lock has to go

There was uproar towards the end of Brown's term as Chancellor when low inflation resulted in a pension increase of circa 50p. I believe the 2.5% minimum stems from that.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Suspect a suspension for one year due to this technical anomaly wont be too damaging politically.

How so?

In the first year there is a major drop in wages, triple lock ensures a 2.5% rise in pensions.
    In the second year there is a major increase in wages (but really a reversion), triple lock ensures a major increase in pensions.

To deal with the anomaly the lock needs to be suspended for two years, to cover both the fall and return back to where it was.
    If, in general, you have a 2.5% floor to annual increases in the state pension then I see no reason why it wouldn't apply this year.

Can we have a 2.5% floor to public sector pay rises? No, its done off what we can afford and what is fair. The same should apply to the pension.
    Sure, but that's a decision that applies to every year, not just to years where the pay figures are distorted by furlough.
    In normal years where there is wage growth and inflation the difference between those and 2.5% is not that big.

The triple lock should be abolished for 2 years, this year and next year. After that it should be reviewed based upon the finances at the time.
    The Triple lock should be abolished for all time. It was an immoral bribe in the time of austerity when real wages were falling for an extended period and it is completely unaffordable now. Enough.
    Agreed
    Inflation is 0.5%

As a pensioner couple, to apply 2.5% increase next year is just wrong and the triple lock has to go

There was uproar towards the end of Brown's term as Chancellor when low inflation resulted in a pension increase of circa 50p. I believe the 2.5% minimum stems from that.
    Times are very different now Justin
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Ave_it said:

I do like Rayner. You can just tell she despises tories to the very core of her being.
    So did the last Labour leadership team. How did that work out for them, I wonder?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Somethings never change
    Yes, he was a class act.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    IshmaelZ said:

I think his answer shot Starmer's fox!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Why's Johnson asking Starmer non sequitur questions regarding schools as the answer to almost every question. It might impress others, it doesn't impress me.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

It's amusing to see that there have been lots of comments on the triple lock, and as far as I can see not one of those criticising it or calling it a 'Conservative con' has remembered either that it was a LibDem policy, or that the Conservatives under May were planning to drop it but Labour were planning to keep it:

Did you not see my post at 11.59?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

https://labourlist.org/2017/05/corbyn-vows-to-change-the-law-to-protect-pensioner-incomes/

It was actually a very good policy at the time Clegg proposed it: pensioner income had fallen heavily behind wages, and pensioner poverty was a real problem (and as has been pointed out, UK state pensions are still not exactly generous). However, mathematically it is not sustainable over a long period. It should be ditched, and the current circumstances are a good excuse to do so.

Brown had committed in a White Paper to bringing in the earnings link, with a target date of 2012. The "Conservative con" was to switch from RPI to CPI and then to pretend that their new scheme with the earnings link and CPI was more generous than the old. I'll give you "Conservative-LD con" if you want to add Clegg into the mix.
    The triple lock is more generous than the old scheme in some circumstances, and marginally less so in other circumstances, depending on inflation.

In any case it seems odd to criticise it simultaneously for being too generous and not generous enough!
  • Options

I think Johnson is working out how to counter Starmer - its not pretty, but to an extent, it works:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1273212987243978752?s=20

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1273214062147575808?s=20

There is little doubt that Boris is becoming stronger and he does seem to have become more visible

I remain very much a Boris critic, but it does seem that he is annoying his opponents with much vigour
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2020
    A decent performance by Starmer.

βοῦς ἐπὶ γλώσσῃ μέγας
    βέβηκεν!

Love Boris! :lol:

Aeschylus again, but the classics won't save Boris forever. This reminds me of γλῶσσα, the same word in Modern Greek - tongue or languages, which you see on islands, for Brits abroad and for whom it's all Greek to them.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

Dura_Ace said:

Ave_it said:

So did the last Labour leadership team. How did that work out for them, I wonder?
    Laura Pidcock never kissed a Tory.

Nor did she shake hands with one when she lost her seat.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Did you not see my post at 11.59?
    Only I'd posted mine, sorry!
  • Options

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

How so?

Agreed
    Inflation is 0.5%

I gather some at least of the fall in inflation was due to the significant drop in oil prices. Although I've had no call to buy petrol since early March I've noticed on my very occasional trips out that in one or two places locally it was down to 97p or so in April, but it's now around £1.10,
    I've still got over half a tank-full though. Tempted to go and top up before it goes up any further!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why's Johnson asking Starmer non sequitur questions regarding schools as the answer to almost every question. It might impress others, it doesn't impress me.

It does seem to cut through with journalists

He only had to agree to the question but he was evasive and really was not quick enough to see the dangerous trap of being against schools returning
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Nigelb said:

Fast and effective track/trace/isolate is the single best way to control any pandemic, and we've known that for many, many decades.
    That we still don't have a fully functional system is simply unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/profchrisham/status/1273141495260942337

Having Johnson as PM when a crisis like this develops is something of a perfect storm.

I genuinely hope I am proved wrong but I think this lightweight Brexiteer government is going to be the most disastrous administration I have lived through.

The numerous cock-ups of its first 6 months in office are a taste of worse to come I fear.
  • Options
    We didn't miss it, Paul - it was quite glorious.

Starmer just can't get over the fact that Boris is not. following. the. rules. - the rules say you're not meant to question and embarrass the LOTO about his own failings, but Boris did it anyway, and quite successfully.

Boris is also looking much healthier today, as well as more energetic and fluent in speech. Let's see how PMQs work when the PM is no longer a convalescent :smile:
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited June 2020
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

There's a bit in there about how some "left jobs for this". How does that work? I thought student nurses were, you know, students.
    There’s definitely more to it, but it seems that PHE recruited thousands of people on six month contracts to help fight a pandemic, and these people are now furiously upset that the contract was only for six months.

Sadly for the government, these stories are now going to be coming almost daily for months, as every special interest group wants their pet project funded or temporary support made permanent.
    Reading the quotes seems to suggest that the six month contract has been terminated before six months. Reasonable to be angry if so (and if this possibility was not flagged up in advance). Rental contracts often minimum six months in first instance, so anyone e.g. moving to take up one of these contracts might be shafted. I don't know how far in advance permanent posts are appointed, but also possible that some of these people have permanent positions that are starting at the end of these six month contracts. If those contracts are ended early then they are also unexpectedly unemployed for a period of time.

All that if the quotes are true, of course. There may be more to it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fundamentally there is a political call to make. On one hand all politicians united in getting kids back to school is something that might encourage parents to send the childs in - and Johnson will of course take credit for it. On the other hand public opinion isn't with the proposal - parents are very wary about their kids being used as guinea pigs.

So I get the idea - put Labour and their union friends on the rocks for kids not going back. But as parents are reluctant to send them back and are themselves making the decisions and not Labour / Unions / Teachers I suspect it may backfire badly. The right wing media tried 'blame the teachers' a few weeks ago. Dropped it quickly as people's opinions rained down upon them...
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

DavidL said:

Somethings never change
    Definitely. It was satisfying to see him lose his seat but there's a pang of guilt every time I see Blackford in some hysterical angry shouting fit with half a question mixed in.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

On my country walks. I've come across pubs that are effectively open. They offer a takeaway service, and people use the beer gardens. I don't know if that's an option for your daughter.
    That sounds practical, sensible but perhaps not strictly legal according to the letter of the law. Businesses have to be generally be very careful to stick to regulations indeed.
    It's not like popping to your friend's garden for some beers and perhaps into the conservatory if it rains.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    IshmaelZ said:

Yes Starmer pinned him. No escape. Boris agreed it was an excellent question and promised to do something about it. A knock out for Starmer.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Barnesian said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes Starmer pinned him. No escape. Boris agreed it was an excellent question and promised to do something about it. A knock out for Starmer.
    Did we hear the same last question?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I think his answer shot Starmer's fox!
    He just conceded! Put his hands up!
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

How so?

Agreed
    Inflation is 0.5%

I gather some at least of the fall in inflation was due to the significant drop in oil prices. Although I've had no call to buy petrol since early March I've noticed on my very occasional trips out that in one or two places locally it was down to 97p or so in April, but it's now around £1.10,
    I've still got over half a tank-full though. Tempted to go and top up before it goes up any further!
    You should definitely fill up the car, Ford have been running adverts saying you should fill the tank up as fuel begins to degrade if it hasn't been used in a while.
  • Options
    Starmer was quite ineffective today IMO

He did however get BJ to tell us any NHS surcharges since May will be refunded.

How did he not mention Student Nurse Contracts though?

Unless the earlier tweet was incorrect of course
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

It does seem strange that Johnson taunts Starmer on that man's lack of comment on a return to school policy that Johnson himself has screwed up so badly. But it does raise the question of why Starmer is so reluctant to talk about the topic. There is a mini point there.

Key thing though is that the Johnson government is not doing well. We don't need PMQs to tell us that.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

There’s certainly data to support Osborne cutting the top rate from 50% to 45% post-2012 worked with raising more revenue.

I disagree with your analysis though. I’m on the cusp of 100k right now and, from 100k to 125k, I will be taxed at an effective rate of 60%.

It’s a huge disincentive for me to get another promotion or salary rise to the next level. Why bother with a 15k rise to 115k and a director role when I’ll only scoop an extra £500 a month for all the extra stress and effort?

I’d rather stay where I am for the easy life. Unless I can jump straight to £150k+ year with a huge promotion and salary rise.

That’s what happens when you overtax: people can’t be bothered.

Per my abacus, that promo to director and a £15k salary rise would deliver an extra £500 a month to you if taxed at 60% and £687 per month if taxed at 45%.

So you are saying that this difference would lead to you wanting the job at 45% tax and NOT wanting it at 60%?

This seems surprising. I sense you might be rolling the pitch a little here. Are you sure that's not what you're doing?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    You really get the impression that Boris would enjoy being the leader of the opposition rather than PM. Good to see Starmer slap him down.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,120
    Pulpstar said:

He's got the hard to impress Big G faction on board though, that's what counts.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Fair play BJO

His refusal on backing the return of schoolchildren was foolish

Even Beth Rigby of Sky asks why is Keir Starmer refusing to back the return of our schoolchildren
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

Please provide a comprehensive list of these hostelries! :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

That sounds practical, sensible but perhaps not strictly legal according to the letter of the law. Businesses have to be generally be very careful to stick to regulations indeed.
    It's not like popping to your friend's garden for some beers and perhaps into the conservatory if it rains.
    I was sipping my pint of lager while queuing for another one in the pub garden - it was a hot day and a long queue. I was told by the bouncer that I couldn't drink on licenced premises and would have to leave the queue. I gulped it back and kept my place.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    There's a sense Boris is getting his mojo back a bit. The illness clearly grounded him and once you get into your 50s it probably takes a while to recover mentally and physically. I imagine he'll be a more visible prescence in future weeks.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    kinabalu said:

There’s certainly data to support Osborne cutting the top rate from 50% to 45% post-2012 worked with raising more revenue.

I disagree with your analysis though. I’m on the cusp of 100k right now and, from 100k to 125k, I will be taxed at an effective rate of 60%.

It’s a huge disincentive for me to get another promotion or salary rise to the next level. Why bother with a 15k rise to 115k and a director role when I’ll only scoop an extra £500 a month for all the extra stress and effort?

I’d rather stay where I am for the easy life. Unless I can jump straight to £150k+ year with a huge promotion and salary rise.

Per my abacus, that promo to director and a £15k salary rise would deliver an extra £500 a month to you if taxed at 60% and £687 per month if taxed at 45%.

So you are saying that this difference would lead to you wanting the job at 45% tax and NOT wanting it at 60%?

This seems surprising. I sense you might be rolling the pitch a little here. Are you sure that's not what you're doing?
    Alot of this stuff is psychological.

In the case of my relative who ditched his complex tax status when rates went to 40% - "If I keep less than half my money that feels really unfair."
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

It does seem strange that Johnson taunts Starmer on that man's lack of comment on a return to school policy that Johnson himself has screwed up so badly. But it does raise the question of why Starmer is so reluctant to talk about the topic. There is a mini point there.

Key thing though is that the Johnson government is not doing well. We don't need PMQs to tell us that.
    Starmer didn't address the question because it's Prime Ministers Questions, not LOTO questions. Starmer asks the questions, Johnson evades them.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The triple lock is more generous than the old scheme in some circumstances, and marginally less so in other circumstances, depending on inflation.

In any case it seems odd to criticise it simultaneously for being too generous and not generous enough!
    If it is simultaneously perceived as incredibly generous while actually being less generous then that is one hell of a PR stunt.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    If the schools do not return, Starmer was right

I suspect BoZo and his fanbois know this
  • Options

Yes Johnson "shot Starmer's fox" by lying prostrate on the floor. A satisfying ending for Starmer.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    PMQs is question to the PM not LOTO. Johnson's little tactic should have been stopped by the Speaker.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You really get the impression that Boris would enjoy being the leader of the opposition rather than PM. Good to see Starmer slap him down.

Opinion seems to be that this was a better PMQ's for Boris and Starmer made a big error by appearing to be against schools returning

That will be the headline and you know the issue has broken through when even Beth Rigby of Sky queries why Starmer and labour are against schools returning
  • Options
    Brom said:

There's a sense Boris is getting his mojo back a bit. The illness clearly grounded him and once you get into your 50s it probably takes a while to recover mentally and physically. I imagine he'll be a more visible prescence in future weeks.

Wishful thinking
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,635

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I remain unpersuaded by the wisdom of windfall taxes or taxing people on the basis of hitting groups/individuals for the crime of having a lot of income rather than trying to increase the revenue.

Punitive taxation does not sit well with me.

I think it's time for footballers to put their money where their mouths are. It's one thing to be charitable, now they are asking for additional taxpayer spending, well that money needs to come from somewhere.
    Just footballers? Or will you include Captains of Industry etc. in the equation?
    CEOs as well, I think £250k is a reasonable level which gets the actually very rich. My only worry is that it would be difficult to get rid of.
    If you want a 50% top rate of income tax then you should be voting Labour as it was a policy of Brown, Ed Miliband, Corbyn and now Starmer.

Osborne cut the top rate of income tax back to 45% after Darling raised it to 50%
    Thatcher had it at 60% for nine years.
    Thatcher inherited a top income tax rate of 83% in 1979, she left office with the top rate of income tax slashed to just 40% by 1990.

No PM cut the top rate of income tax over their premiership more than Thatcher did
    Thatcher wanted to leave it at 50% I believe. Lawson convinced her to cut it to 40%.
    And receipts went up.

It's almost as if tax isn't just the government collecting whatever they feel like - the taxed react.

For example, the famous 98% supertax - it never actually raised any money.
    Do you have data to support the fact of the 1989 top rate tax cut from 60% to 40% raising more revenue? It's counter-intuitive. Things being equal, worked hour for worked hour, a 60% rate will raise far more revenue than a 40% one. The disincentives have to be truly massive to counter that extra per-hour worked revenue.

I get that motivation for tax avoidance may be a bit higher at 60% than 40% but higher tax rates are a powerful incentive to increase your taxable income. When tax rates increase you need to work more hours to maintain your standard of living; when tax rates fall you can work less and still maintain it. I have seen some data to support this suggestion. It means that not only does tax increase because rates increase, but also because there is more taxable income to apply those higher rates to. Obviously there comes a point of diminishing returns

CR there is an easy resolution if you are over £100K and don't need the extra cash immediately and that is put it in an AVC.

Problem solved. Take the promotion and keep ALL the money. You will only be taxed on it when you take it so probably at 20%.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

I think Johnson is working out how to counter Starmer - its not pretty, but to an extent, it works:

I think Johnson suffers from a condition that often applies to incompetent managers that if you announce something, that's the problem dealt with. In this case, it's his earlier promise to remove health surcharges on foreign NHS workers. He made the announcement but didn't follow through.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I have not changed my critic of Boris but Starmer being anti schools returning is just wrong
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Starmer didn't address the question because it's Prime Ministers Questions, not LOTO questions. Starmer asks the questions, Johnson evades them.
    JH: "Well, opposition's about asking awkward questions."
    HA: "And government's about not answering them."
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Starmer wants to keep control of the questioning. That's why he won't play to Johnson's agenda. Quite right too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

But PBs Boris fan boys clearly don't understand that.
  • Options

Fair play BJO

His refusal on backing the return of schoolchildren was foolish

Even Beth Rigby of Sky asks why is Keir Starmer refusing to back the return of our schoolchildren
    Parents should go to speak to their Headteachers if they have concerns.

Go back unless the Headteacher says its not safe
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Thats the main thing you take from that story?

Sad really.
    Hard to get all that worked up about temporary contracts expiring to be honest.
    Hunt seems to think if a promise was made it should be honoured.

The fact you don't care is your business Rob
    What was the promise? I have already said if they were promised a full time position at the end of it that it would be another matter entirely.
    The contract was for 6 months, at the end of which they would be qualified. They are reneging on the contract, ending it in July not September. Given the backlog in the NHS because of delayed diagnosis and treatment this seems astonishingly short sighted.
    Points to consider

- Using final year students (nurses and doctors) as staff on an emergency basis vs using them on a regular basis would open up issues of liability & standards.

- Assuming that such emergency staff would be suitable for general hospital work may not be correct.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    This is the obvious answer to whether the schools are safe...

https://twitter.com/janisfrayer/status/1272915507222425601
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Pulpstar said:

I have not changed my critic of Boris but Starmer being anti schools returning is just wrong

Why would someone whose kids are already attending school be anti-schools returning?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

Interesting observation from James Forsyth on R4 - new Tory MPs are thinking more like US Congressmen “what’s in it for my constituents” than “what’s the party line” - hence the growing revolt over free school meals where lots of “red wall” Tory MPs have plenty of constituents who are in receipt of them. Which makes an ideologically driven No.10 even less fit for purpose.

I wonder if globaliser Conservatives such as Marcus Hannan have realised this yet.
    You mean Daniel Hancock?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Mango said:

Thatcher also left office with government debt as a lower proportion of GDP and had the country running a trade surplus through most of her premiership.

Were those things not worth imitating as well ?

Absolutely. Can't these idiots find another North Sea anywhere?
    No need to, there's plenty of gas. Unfortunately extracting it has been effectively banned.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,768
    Scott_xP said:

This is the obvious answer to whether the schools are safe...

https://twitter.com/janisfrayer/status/1272915507222425601

Err, schools are safe might depend on where the schools are? Radical but you know, there might be some variety?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He's got their vote anyway. Why does he need to impress them? Perhaps he's concerned that he doesn't necessarily still have their vote?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

But PBs Boris fan boys clearly don't understand that.
    Maybe Beth Rigby is in that category then as even she asked why Starmer is against the return of schools
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Jonathan said:

Opinion seems to be that this was a better PMQ's for Boris and Starmer made a big error by appearing to be against schools returning

That will be the headline and you know the issue has broken through when even Beth Rigby of Sky queries why Starmer and labour are against schools returning

The clip played will be Starmer offering to take over from Johnson.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No.

Precisely.

You seem to want both a swift decision, early opening and time certainty to plan. Do you understand those are contradictory aims? The government can either announce that businesses can open and give time and space for certainty, or they can get businesses opened up as soon as possible?

They have said they can't give a date. They have said they are waiting for evidence. They have said they are continuing support until October. They have said this sector in particular is getting some of its support kept until next year already.

If the decision can't be made until 1 July then which would you prefer of the following two options:

Government announces on 1 July whether or not pubs can open from 1 August with certainty and time to get stuff arranged attached to the decision.

Government announces on 1 July whether or not pubs can open from 4 July with no time for certainty and planning but businesses able to open ASAP when they are ready?
    I have not seen anywhere that the support is being kept until next year. Do you have the details please?
    Some of it, not all of it, furlough is ending in October. Specifically your daughter's NNDR may have already been scrapped until 2021 so at least once she has reopened she has no NNDR to pay for the rest of the year and early next year: That is specific support to the sector.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-your-retail-hospitality-or-leisure-business-is-eligible-for-business-rates-relief-due-to-coronavirus-covid-19

I wouldn't be surprised to see something this in the next budget to be applied to next year too.
    Thanks. She does not pay business rates anyway because of rural business and small business relief. This was in place before the virus struck so this does not provide additional help though I accept that it will help others.

Look this is a business which made profits in its first year from a standing start, which created 4 additional jobs and increased turnover by 62% from the previous owner/manager.

Since March there has been a 76% drop in turnover. At 24% of previous turnover she is losing money. That cannot continue indefinitely. She is running a business not a charity. If she can reopen and do business as normal she feels that she can make it. Just.

But she does not know when, she does not know the conditions of reopening - there is talk of removing the 2 metre rule (true? When? Sustainable?) - and she has no idea whether such reopening will be temporary or not.

She faces increased costs and withdrawal of furlough and a very very curtailed summer season. The government cannot magic all this away.

But what it can do what is adapt its support programme for the particular issues which face socially undistanceable businesses like hers (and others) which are heavily reliant on seasonal trade. Instead it is ignoring this, adopting a one size fits all policy and giving out contradictory and confusing messages.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Wishful thinking
    By the way its the Premier League not the Premiership - the latter is in Scotland.

Good to see Boris having the measure of Mr Forensic this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1273214062147575808?s=20

There is little doubt that Boris is becoming stronger and he does seem to have become more visible

I remain very much a Boris critic, but it does seem that he is annoying his opponents with much vigour
    A technical point of order but intended more for future reference -

If you were to now stick for many months and possibly years at "I'm very much a critic of Boris" without floating any new actual criticism, there would come a point where people would become skeptical of the phrase.

Offered in my usual warm and constructive spirit.
  • Options

PMQs is question to the PM not LOTO. Johnson's little tactic should have been stopped by the Speaker.

Grammatically, 'Prime Minister's Questions' is wonderfully ambiguous. It all depends on whether one interprets 'Prime Minister's' as an objective or a subjective genitive. As a Brackenbury Scholar, Boris has as much right as anyone to an opinion on the subject... :wink:
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,990

Jonathan said:

As a beneficiary of the triple lock, I support its suspension - the virus is a reasonable excuse. I'd be content with simply inflation adjustment.

On another front, this deserves more attention - it includes all the major county councils:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/17/conservative-councils-warn-covid-19-second-wave-could-lead-to-bankruptcies

Workers might be happy with inflation as well! Our incomes are going to go down, why does the richest group have an automatic expectation (and guarantee) of inflation or better?
    You need to be careful of unintended consequences. My father’s pension pays for his care. Reduce the pension, the money will have to come from elsewhere. The council is not exactly rolling in it.
    Id much rather the money went to those who need care than handed out to every member of the cohort that is the richest in our society. Remarkable that this is controversial - and will be criticised by a "Labour" party. They represent workers and equality no more than this batch of tories represent those who are "conservative".
    That is a laugh, Labour party support workers my arse
  • Options
    That is the first PMQs I have actually watched for a while. If that was Boris improving then the concerns I have previously expressed remain. Starmer is running a theme of, "of course the PM has read it", "perhaps the PM hasn't" to show that Boris is not on top of the detail which of course he isn't. Boris would no doubt argue that there are one or two other things on his desk beside a social welfare foundation report but it plays well into a perceived weakness of Boris's.
    The brutal realities of our economic situation are stark and I think that Boris has to start making the point that not every grievance can be met with a cheque. He is right to emphasise that the poorest must be the priority but that means that others aren't and he should perhaps be less shy about saying so.
    Starmer is quite forensic in his questioning but not particularly penetrative. I suspect he may struggle even more when the Commons gets rowdier.
This discussion has been closed.