Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Scoping the damage of the Cummings road trip and Johnson’s dec

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

UK caves in to EU demand to share criminal suspects’ data

https://www.politico.eu/article/criminal-suspects-data-sharing-uk-eu-brexit/

I would have thought that having posted here for so long, you would by now have realised that the verb 'caves in' only helps one person and his party.

and we all know who that is. Farage wants you to write 'caves in'. He wants you to write 'supine'. He wants you to write 'capitulates' 'betrays' etc.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,992

Whatever the merits of the urinator's sentence the government simply has to grasp that everybody must be dealt with equally.

Selective justice, however well intentioned, is lethal to law and order.

You may as well set up recruiting stations for a significant party of the far right.

Thankfully, it's not the government that does the sentencing.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Media astonished there seems to be a lot of demand for the shops

They didn’t buy the narrative.

Pause.

Ah, my coat...
    I won't respond till I think of a counter to that.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,737
    ydoethur said:

Pause.

Ah, my coat...
    It's OK, you can go and get a new one today.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,143

The same media who have been running "Countdown To Shopping Day" on the front pages for the past week, are now surprised that people went shopping today?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,638
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Pause.

Ah, my coat...
    I won't respond till I think of a counter to that.
    Ker-ching!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577

Good evidence for my pent up demand theory/statement of the obvious.

• Options

ydoethur said:

Pause.

Ah, my coat...
    It's OK, you can go and get a new one today.
    In all seriousness, I need one. My current one is leakier than the Cabinet and more full of holes than a Cummings defence.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544
    ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

I'm going now, I don't like it here

Bye

The number of SeanT avatars clicks up by one...

Not very good at maths, is he? The site’s been up for 15 years not three decades.
    Aren't we due a regeneration?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338

I would have thought that having posted here for so long, you would by now have realised that the verb 'caves in' only helps one person and his party.

and we all know who that is. Farage wants you to write 'caves in'. He wants you to write 'supine'. He wants you to write 'capitulates' 'betrays' etc.
    The Conservatives need to learn that they cannot appease the likes of Farage and instead stand up to him. It's their framing of the relationship with the EU as adversarial that sets them up to look weak.
  • Options

Whatever the merits of the urinator's sentence the government simply has to grasp that everybody must be dealt with equally.

You may as well set up recruiting stations for a significant party of the far right.

Thankfully, it's not the government that does the sentencing.

That is a good point. I should possibly have said 'authorities'. But I think the point remains.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

Not very good at maths, is he? The site’s been up for 15 years not three decades.
    We’re all now going to be watching any future new arrivals to see if they are the new new new new SeanT.

Will be a bit disconcerting for any new posters who aren’t.
  • Options
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,535
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

OK guys, do we all remember the Google Churchill kerfuffle? We should do, it was yesterday.

Here's another one, which is even weirder

Go to Youtube, and select a random video. Doesn't matter which one. Add this comment underneath:

"Black Lives Matter violence"

Within 30 seconds or so, it will be automatically deleted. I'm not joking. I did it last night, and I did it this morning: same result both times.

Now I can understand why Youtube might censor certain racist terms. But if you want to comment that this is "Black Lives Matter violence", which is not racist, just an opinion, you cannot.

Same goes for things like "this is black violence", or "what about black violence". They just disappear.

YouTube is preventing commenters from simply expressing lawful opinions

Draining the swamp.
    You know the owners of these gigantic media companies are billionaires, and perhaps due to become trillionaires in the not-too-distant future?

What happens if a popular movement for the redistribution of wealth rises up and gets itself completely censored by said media billionaires? Because you can sure they'll justify it as 'draining the swamp' too...
    We'll cross that bridge when we (don't) come to it. In the meantime, I am not going to get upset about it becoming more difficult to spread racist propaganda. Sorry, but that's how I feel about this. Slippery slope, go and have a natter with yourself in the corner, I'm living in the here and now.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,120

A friend of mine - white, middle-aged and no Lefty - happily refers to some of the more stick-in-the-mud characters at his workplace as 'Gammons'.

Gammons should reclaim the term to rob it of its pejorative heft. #gammon4life #bp140over90andproud
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

kamski said:

eristdoof said:

kamski said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Just reporting *the last 7 days* is a bit tricksy since some of those countries are further along the curve than the UK.

It's not really necessary to play games like this to make the UK look incompetent, it looks incompetent already.
    Yes and also a couple of countries have issues with accuracy of reporting. Nevertheless infections are running many times higher in the UK than anywhere else in Europe, except Sweden. The difference is too big to explain, except that the UK has problems that other countries don't have.
    The UK lockdown was far softer than other nations.

In France leaving the home without the official paperwork authorising you to do so and explaining when, where and why you are going was subject to a hefty fine.
    In the UK you could go out and about whenever you wanted and just needed to say you had a good reason if asked why.
    I'm not sure that that is relevant.

Was the *effect* any different. I don't recall significant differences in fall in transport usage, for example.

There was a comparative graph from Google data on Twitter somewhere, and I can't find it.
    UK's lockdown was certainly not far softer than Germany's. A bit harder (and quite a bit longer) so far as I can tell. No doubt there are other European countries that also had softer lockdowns.
    Much softer than France, I believe.
    And Spain, and Italy.

Knowing what we know now (and usual disclaimer, I'm a physicist who teaches GCSE science, so I know a bit of biology but not much...) it looks like:

1 You don't need particularly harsh measures to keep Covid-19 numbers constant. Stop the most extreme spreading events, wear masks, wash hands and have working testing and tracing. Germany got lucky, did enough early on that their numbers never got very big. Sweden is sort of doing the same, but with a higher baseline.

2 If you miss that early opportunity, your choices are more limited. Lockdowns work to reduce the rate of infection (it would be pretty weird if they didn't). The harder the lockdown, the faster the fall; compare China, Spain, UK, Sweden.

3 So if you are a government and you miss the bus on step 1, you have two Solomonesque judgments to make. First is do you go for a harsher, shorter lockdown or a softer, longer one? Most of Europe went for the first, the UK seems to have gone for the second- perhaps not realising that softer = longer. Second, when do you try to transition back to "we can control this with softer measures?" The temptation will be for the UK to relax controls when there is more virus about than in other countries. There are economic and social arguments for that, but it's a gamble.
    Maybe Germany's lucky break was that around the height of the Italian Meltdown a town near Aachen had a very significant outbreak. This meant that most people took the clear advice of the government very seriously. The extent of the lockdown here was slightly less than in the UK. For example partners who lived in different households were allowed to "see" each other, where as some in the UK lost their jobs because of that.
    Where I am in NRW (the most populous state), the ban on meeting more than one person from a different household only ever applied to public spaces. You were specifically allowed to invite as many people to your own home as you liked (although the advice was to avoid inviting lots). Other states had different rules.

I think part of the luck was that because there was, relatively, a lot of testing early on people knew about the outbreaks, and the outbreaks were kept a bit under control. But it did seem to me that most people were not taking it that seriously until the second week of March when Merkel finally broke her silence - then people suddenly started taking it seriously.
    When the the Gruppenfuhrerin shouts 'Achtung!' everyone sits up straight. :)
    But seriously, I thought it was a failure on her part not saying something sooner. But Germans seem to kind of like it that she doesn't say much, so I guess when she does say something people notice it more.

There is also a very noticeable difference to the UK, where the government keeps making grandiose announcements, and "world-beating" this, and "Blitz-spirit" that, when the reality seems to be mostly a shambles.

There seems to be little of that here in Germany.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

OK guys, do we all remember the Google Churchill kerfuffle? We should do, it was yesterday.

Here's another one, which is even weirder

Go to Youtube, and select a random video. Doesn't matter which one. Add this comment underneath:

"Black Lives Matter violence"

Within 30 seconds or so, it will be automatically deleted. I'm not joking. I did it last night, and I did it this morning: same result both times.

Now I can understand why Youtube might censor certain racist terms. But if you want to comment that this is "Black Lives Matter violence", which is not racist, just an opinion, you cannot.

Same goes for things like "this is black violence", or "what about black violence". They just disappear.

YouTube is preventing commenters from simply expressing lawful opinions

Draining the swamp.
    You know the owners of these gigantic media companies are billionaires, and perhaps due to become trillionaires in the not-too-distant future?

What happens if a popular movement for the redistribution of wealth rises up and gets itself completely censored by said media billionaires? Because you can sure they'll justify it as 'draining the swamp' too...
    We'll cross that bridge when we (don't) come to it. In the meantime, I am not going to get upset about it becoming more difficult to spread racist propaganda. Sorry, but that's how I feel about this. Slippery slope, go and have a natter with yourself in the corner, I'm living in the here and now.
    That's fine, it just means that the world's future is likely to be hyper-liberal socially, and hyper-conservative economically. So we'll both be pissed off with it, just in different ways.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

To misquote Harold, 15 years is (seems like) a long time in Politics.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,303
    Fitz said:

Bye

Not everyone Fitz in.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

The Conservatives need to learn that they cannot appease the likes of Farage and instead stand up to him. It's their framing of the relationship with the EU as adversarial that sets them up to look weak.
    After decades of EU directives, government is still extremely reluctant to govern.

Decisions on lockdown must be left to doctors. Churchill statue? ah that's Mister Khan's business. Or some veterans who want to defend it. Or something. School reopening? ah well we'll have a word with the unions.

Parliament is sovereign. You decide.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    DavidL said:

Footfall down 44% on the equivalent Monday last year according to Springboard.
    But no one was queuing to get in then.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,303
    ‘We’re thinking landslide’: Beyond D.C., GOP officials see Trump on glide path to reelection
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/trump-glide-reelection-republican-officials-316457

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

We’re all now going to be watching any future new arrivals to see if they are the new new new new SeanT.

I am excitedly waiting for an alter-ego.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338

After decades of EU directives, government is still extremely reluctant to govern.

Decisions on lockdown must be left to doctors. Churchill statue? ah that's Mister Khan's business. Or some veterans who want to defend it. Or something. School reopening? ah well we'll have a word with the unions.

Parliament is sovereign. You decide.
    It has nothing to do with EU directives. Why has the French government been more decisive on entering lockdown, more decisive on exiting lockdown, and more decisive on statues? The UK government has lost its bearings because its main raison d'etre - Brexit - is profoundly against the national interest, yet they cannot admit it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The biggest queue in my high street was for a guy who has a watch battery replacement stall. With social distancing it stretched back about 100m

Quite a lot of people have not been able to use their watches since early March.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

You can spot them in an instant
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

‘We’re thinking landslide’: Beyond D.C., GOP officials see Trump on glide path to reelection
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/trump-glide-reelection-republican-officials-316457

Well, it's a view.

What that shows is that the repubs are up for the fight - and will have plenty of money behind them.

Still a very dangerous opponent.
  • Options

The biggest queue in my high street was for a guy who has a watch battery replacement stall. With social distancing it stretched back about 100m

Quite a lot of people have not been able to use their watches since early March.

The times, they are a'changing right enough.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927

A horrifying example of why we need the BLM movement this morning. In the queue for Wilko's. Rancid gammon in the queue talking to his rancid gammon mate on a nearby bench.

Black people should be used as whipping boys. Worse than dogs. Should be kicked instead of the dog. And then "see you later" as he went into the shop.

This is the kind of petty white scum bigotry that Johnson and his team have in mind when banging on about protecting our statues...

Do you think that using terms like 'rancid gammon' and 'petty white scum' enhances or detracts from your genuine commitment to the cause of anti-racism?
    Assuming for the sake of argument that RP's description of what the 2 guys said was accurate, how would you describe them? I would be fascinated to know.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

But as Philip pointed out earlier they are there to buy things, not to look.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,743
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Pissy man has been given 14 days in jail...one day for every pint he had drunk.

That sounds awfully draconian, when a couple of days' community service cleaning the streets could have sufficed. Risks inflaming tensions, as noted by Konstantin Kisin, among others.
    My problem with it is that if he had intentionally pissed on the memorial, then I'd say a couple of months in prison would be fair. But I'm almost certain that he was doing nothing other than having a piss in the street, which is illegal, but I don't think warrants 14 days in prison.
    It's pretty rough and ready but possibly will satisfy honour on all sides (though I am not holding my breath.)

Doing this with intention to disrespect the dead is serious and warrants serious sentencing.

Normally doing this in emergency is not going to be especially culpable.

But being in this area with a load of fascists and drinking 16 pints when all the loos are closed are not offences but are idiotic acts. Most of us actually think about the loo situation at the moment when we go out.

His plea and the sentence took a middle path. It doesn't set a precedent legally and if he served 14 days and learned something about life and what happens when you consort with extremists when you have drunk too much and the loos are shut it may do some good.

If he had fought it and been convicted on the basis of disrespecting a decent copper who gave his life for us he would be a pariah for ever.

If he has someone in his life who told him to deal with it and face up, he is more fortunate than some.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,857
    I think it’s very pleasing there are long queues for shops.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,347
    Dura_Ace said:

A friend of mine - white, middle-aged and no Lefty - happily refers to some of the more stick-in-the-mud characters at his workplace as 'Gammons'.

Gammons should reclaim the term to rob it of its pejorative heft. #gammon4life #bp140over90andproud
    Someone needs to write an achingly moving TV drama about their plight: 'I fought in the war. Knocked on doors for both Clement and Harold. Now they call us Gammons and say we want to erect statues to slave traders. It doesn't bother me. But sometimes I wonder... was that man Hitler defeated at all?'
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

What that shows is that the repubs are up for the fight - and will have plenty of money behind them.

Dangerous - for the world and the US. I am still worried about the possibility of a Trump win, but I do now believe the wheels are coming of the train. He will keep his base, but few others.

My best current guess is an Electoral College of 412/125 in favour of Biden. How's that for foolishly sticking your neck out?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

I wonder if takings were down 44% though.

If you are queueing for an hour, you are definitely there to buy something.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260
    The Tories get highly excited
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

A Pyrrhic one? To adapt a Delphic hexameter:

'Aio te Trumpum populares vincere posse...'
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Yes indeed. Of course office workers nipping out for a coffee or a sandwich aren't included either.
    However, I would say next week or next month would be a better guide.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Indeed that was my Pareto Principle theory earlier today. Hopefully the Pareto Principle works here and the lower footfall can still result in nearly as much in overall trade.
  • Options

A horrifying example of why we need the BLM movement this morning. In the queue for Wilko's. Rancid gammon in the queue talking to his rancid gammon mate on a nearby bench.

Black people should be used as whipping boys. Worse than dogs. Should be kicked instead of the dog. And then "see you later" as he went into the shop.

This is the kind of petty white scum bigotry that Johnson and his team have in mind when banging on about protecting our statues...

Do you think that using terms like 'rancid gammon' and 'petty white scum' enhances or detracts from your genuine commitment to the cause of anti-racism?
    It works for me.
    You think using racist terms for whites is compatible with anti-racism?

Well, at least that tells us all we need to know about the sincerity of your principles.
    That is like saying one can't call a Nazi a Nazi, because the term Nazi is an offensive label that could cause offence. Ah, bless!
    You're not good at basic logic, are you? The Nazis were indeed racists, but 'Nazi' is not in itself a racist term, but a technical description of political party.

The terms used by RochdalePioneers, however - 'rancid gammon' and 'petty white scum' - are intrinsically racist in themselves, and thus are not suitable political epithets.

This really isn't hard to understand. But now you've dug yourself into a deep hole of hypocrisy and don't want to admit it, so no doubt you'll keep digging... :wink:
    I am white and middle aged, but I find "gammon" very amusing. It is not racist because while it is probably necessary to be white to be a gammon, you are not automatically a gammon if you are white. You do have to be angry and prejudiced, so if the hat fits Mr Blue, lol. I think it would be a good description also for many Scottish Nationalists, as well as their similarly angry English nationalist lookalikes. You don't get much more gammon like than Malcolmg.
    Dickhead would be called Tripe if you were to be generous to him
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I'ms sure there will be a Scotland poll along shortly to calm everybody down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    edited June 2020
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Dangerous - for the world and the US. I am still worried about the possibility of a Trump win, but I do now believe the wheels are coming of the train. He will keep his base, but few others.

My best current guess is an Electoral College of 412/125 in favour of Biden. How's that for foolishly sticking your neck out?
    Are you eligible to vote, or was that @TimB ?

I know one eligible voter here, who always votes postally. He's registered to New York State though so his Democrat vote just adds to the pile there :).
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

I'm trying to think which candidate's victory would spark the least unrest.

To be honest, I am far from certain it is Biden.
  • Options

I think it’s very pleasing there are long queues for shops.

You wouldn't if you were at the end of one!
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Where's your ambition. Reagan won against a sitting President 489/49. Surely that's the benchmark.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I'ms sure there will be a Scotland poll along shortly to calm everybody down.
    Bound to be a surge
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Yes indeed. Of course office workers nipping out for a coffee or a sandwich aren't included either.
    However, I would say next week or next month would be a better guide.
    Oh for sure. Going to the shops/out for a coffee or a drink/for a meal has to become relatively normal again. Today is no real test of that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Where's your ambition. Reagan won against a sitting President 489/49. Surely that's the benchmark.
    That is not my ambition, that is my prediction.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Assuming for the sake of argument that RP's description of what the 2 guys said was accurate, how would you describe them? I would be fascinated to know.
    If it's accurate, what they said sounds pretty racist. The whole point of my posts, if you care to read them, is that criticizing racist language while simultaneously using racist language against the people you're criticizing is deeply hypocritical and self-defeating.

I'm astounded that that view could be in any way controversial.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

That is about where I am. Not close.

You are duly inducted into the TrumpToast club - 4 members now, You plus Alistair plus Stocky plus Moi.

Introductory pack - including voucher for a free drink at the bar - is in the post.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Seems like I missed a bit of Sean based fun. Wonder when the next chapter of this story will begin?
  • Options

Timpsons in Burntwood reopened a fortnight ago, so I took my watch there to be repaired.

Unfortunately, the mechanism was knackered so I had to buy a new one anyway.

Wished I'd known that six weeks earlier.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

I know one eligible voter here, who always votes postally. He's registered to New York State though so his Democrat vote just adds to the pile there :).
    That's TimB. I am a Legal Alien, so voteless here and, as I've been out of the country since 2000, voteless in the UK.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

The thing that always blows me away about 2008 was how close Obama was to taking Missouri
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,613

Scott_xP said:
    Just reporting *the last 7 days* is a bit tricksy since some of those countries are further along the curve than the UK.

It's not really necessary to play games like this to make the UK look incompetent, it looks incompetent already.
    But the assumptions you are making there are entirely wrong.

Being “further along the curve” should mean a higher infection rate and higher death rate, unless something has intervened to turn the curve downwards.

The two possibilities for the latter are, firstly, public policy intervention, in which case well done for those European countries ahead of us who have been more successful in tackling the virus’s spread than we have.

Or, secondly, that we are approaching some sort of natural limit in terms of those already infected plus those with some sort of pre-existing immunity or resistance. As I have said before, IMO view the data points in this direction, but it has to be said that this remains a minority viewpoint and one so far unsupported by (what little) research data is available.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

I couldn't care less if it is 330/328 so long as he's gone afterwards.

However the bigger the defeat the better to draw a line under this unpleasant era and hopefully see some sanity return to the GOP. Bit like the defeat of Corbynism, the bigger the better.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

That's TimB. I am a Legal Alien, so voteless here and, as I've been out of the country since 2000, voteless in the UK.
    If you're an alien, you're a legal alien,
    Then you're an Englishman in New York
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    Dura_Ace said:

Isn't it mandatory to be a bit of a fat lad to be a gammon? I need to put on some pounds otherwise #fitsthedemographicperfectly
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

Which is why Sean is wasting his time trying to hide his identity.

He would be better advised to try and stop behaving like a twat on social media. With the spinoff benefit that this would make his new accounts a little harder to spot.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Bet you still have to pay taxes though. Americans (and everyone else) can be hypocritical about that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,120
    Really missing grabcoque today, guys. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    DavidL said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Bet you still have to pay taxes though. Americans (and everyone else) can be hypocritical about that sort of thing.
    Yeah, I live near DC and have a wry smile every time I read the "No Taxation without Representation" plates.

PS And I still pay UK taxes...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pulpstar said:

If you get sentenced for 14 days, how much time behind bars do you actually serve ?

Pulpstar said:

If you get sentenced for 14 days, how much time behind bars do you actually serve ?

Will he appeal against sentence?
  • Options

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

However the bigger the defeat the better to draw a line under this unpleasant era and hopefully see some sanity return to the GOP. Bit like the defeat of Corbynism, the bigger the better.
    Given the demographics, I wonder what sort of republican could ever win America again.
  • Options
    Meanwhile I nip out for a bike ride, come back, and find that Eadric is gawn, while @Fitz, having lurked since 1927 and not missed a Scottish sub-samples debate apparently, arrived on the scene, made a couple of meta comments and then has gone also.

I wonder if the two are related.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Well good - I want the consensus to remain that it's going to be close so I can sell that Trump EC opening spread at about 245. :smile:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

Which is why Sean is wasting his time trying to hide his identity.

He would be better advised to try and stop behaving like a twat on social media. With the spinoff benefit that this would make his new accounts a little harder to spot.
    A phrase about nature and pitchforks springs to mind.
  • Options
    TimT said:

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Yeah, I live near DC and have a wry smile every time I read the "No Taxation without Representation" plates.

PS And I still pay UK taxes...
    Oh good. We need the money.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Interesting tweet, given the tweeter.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1272508082598432770
  • Options

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Given the demographics, I wonder what sort of republican could ever win America again.
    Everyone always wonders that and forgets that, as the demographics change, so does the political centre of gravity about which the two parties organize themselves.

It is a self-correcting system, even if it may take a few election cycles to correct.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Why bother? By the time he could appeal, he'll be out.

He might appeal the criminal conviction it presumably involved.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Oh yeah. I wonder who he/she is now.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

The GOP like the Tories has a history of reinventing itself to be more popular. That's taken it down a very unpleasant rabbit hole at the moment but hopefully the party of Abraham Lincoln can return to sanity in the future.

Nothing lasts forever.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Anarchist doesn't want protesters jailed shocker.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Ash Sarkar goes up very slightly in my estimation.

Admittedly, that's from an extremely low base.

I will assume she is making a genuine point out of principle, and not just worrying about how long her mates are going to be in the slammer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:
    Ash Sarkar goes up very slightly in my estimation.

Admittedly, that's from an extremely low base.

I will assume she is making a genuine point out of principle, and not just worrying about how long her mates are going to be in the slammer.
    You're more generous than me.
  • Options
    TimT said:

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Everyone always wonders that and forgets that, as the demographics change, so does the political centre of gravity about which the two parties organize themselves.

It is a self-correcting system, even if it may take a few election cycles to correct.
    Thinking of all the republican presidents in my lifetime, and asking myself, could that guy win now?

The answer is invariably 'nope'.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

The thing that always blows me away about 2008 was how close Obama was to taking Missouri
    Missouri was for many years the national bellweather state. It only really started to lean Republican from 2008
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,961
    NHS England data out now - 28

Very low, even for a Monday

• Options
    DavidL said:

It is a ridiculous sentence that will be overturned on appeal unless he has a truly spectacular record of doing much the same. But there is room for exemplary sentences as we saw at the time of the riots.
    How quickly do you expect this appeal?
  • Options

TimT said:

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

Thinking of all the republican presidents in my lifetime, and asking myself, could that guy win now?

The answer is invariably 'nope'.
    Wrong question. Could they win the election - I have little doubt either Bush could win against Biden. Reagan and Ike most certainly would, as would pre-Watergate Nixon. Could any of them win the GOP nomination? Nope.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Oh yeah. I wonder who he/she is now.
    "tres"?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,238

Pulpstar said:
    Anarchist doesn't want protesters jailed shocker.
    I thought she was literally a Communist? So not an anarchist.
    I think this 14 day jail term is a joke too. The bloke was obviously just pissed and in general seems a rather sorry excuse for a human being rather than a genuine wrong un.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He would get interim liberation pending the appeal.
    Edit, its a bit difficult to appeal the conviction when you have pleaded guilty.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fitz said:

Bye

We are all SeanT.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    edited June 2020

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Indeed that was my Pareto Principle theory earlier today. Hopefully the Pareto Principle works here and the lower footfall can still result in nearly as much in overall trade.
    Ah, the 80/20 rule. I'd not heard it given a name before (my ignorance, perhaps) but it does work in a lot of situations.

I think you are right when it comes to shopping, at least.
  • Options

A reporter was outside the local Primark. Apparently the fact that children grow was newsworthy, given what I overheard as I passed.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:
    I agree with Ash. It smacks of a "making an example of" sentence.

Also, one does not want to see the creation of a martyr.

OK, 14 days for pissing on a wall is hardly Mandela and Robben Island, but it does kind of suit the cause in this case - which is grubby and base - and it could be used to stir up trouble that we do not need.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

OK, 14 days for pissing on a wall is hardly Mandela and Robben Island, but it does kind of suit the cause in this case - which is grubby and base - and it could be used to stir up trouble that we do not want.
    Same thing happened during the Summer Of Riots concerning the patron saint of Guns In Socks. The magistrates went a bit Judge Dredd on people stealing bottles of water.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Edit, its a bit difficult to appeal the conviction when you have pleaded guilty.
    Couldn't it be a civil offence rather than a crime though? The two do have a significant impact on his future. e.g. if his job requires enhanced DBS clearance.

You're the lawyer and I'm not, but that was my thought.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Isn't appealing a sentence a thing?
  • Options

DavidL said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Well, it's a view.

If it's 330/328 there will be some raised eyebrows.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Unless it sells out before you get there.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    edited June 2020
    deleted

• Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

OK, 14 days for pissing on a wall is hardly Mandela and Robben Island, but it does kind of suit the cause in this case - which is grubby and base - and it could be used to stir up trouble that we do not want.
    Same thing happened during the Summer Of Riots concerning the patron saint of Guns In Socks. The magistrates went a bit Judge Dredd on people stealing bottles of water.
    Yes I remember some "tabloid justice" getting dished out there.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    Dura_Ace said:

GWA's Straight Outta Thurrock will be the soundtrack of late stage Brexit.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes I remember some "tabloid justice" getting dished out there.
    It wasn't "tabloid justice" - it was the context of participation in a riot and looting which attracted a greater sentence than if the bloke had, apropos of nothing, nicked some water.

You're having a bit of a shocker today, although fair one Monday and all that.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

OK, 14 days for pissing on a wall is hardly Mandela and Robben Island, but it does kind of suit the cause in this case - which is grubby and base - and it could be used to stir up trouble that we do not need.
    She's clearly concerned because if urinating next to a monument merits 14 days in prison, how much will the people who actually destroyed or vandalized a monument get? Or all the other malefactors the police will identify via CCTV after the fact?

Answers on the back of a postcard...
This discussion has been closed.