Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Scoping the damage of the Cummings road trip and Johnson’s dec

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

HYUFD said:

So 1% fewer people think Brexit was wrong now than voted Remain in 2016, 5 months after Brexit happened
    Based on your maths, 12% fewer people think Brexit was right compared to those who voted for it. The Tory party is shackled to a corpse of a political project.
    Some corpse. We have left
    We haven’t defused the grenade, just pulled out the pin.
    Time to move on
    No. There is way too much moving on in this country, particularly when posh white boys are involved.

It is time to be accountable.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,465
    edited June 2020
    Missed most of Raab's conference but it does look as if HMG have decided to reduce the participants and the time taken, no doubt as they are about change the 2 metre rule

I would say that if they do this it is brave but bold, and while taking some risks, it does contrast with the paralysis by Sturgeon and Drakesford who are in their 'stay at home' comfort zone and are running the real risk of making both health outcomes and economic ones much worse for their countries

Time will tell
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    My “no deal” stockpile is also being rebuilt.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808

With regards to the new 6 week deadline on a Brexit deal, the UK has already folded. Who knew that you couldn't create a physical international border and all the systems to apply tariffs and checks to literally everything crossing the border in jist a few months? Ok HMRC knew. Ok the ports knew. Ok the hauliers knew. But as we've had enough of experts it would have been unfair to expect ministers to know.

So, upon the termination of transition we will have a border wide open with no checks at all like now. The EU will permit such an arrangement on the basis that whilst the UK has the Right to have independent trade deals, no such deals will exist for years because unlike twatty ministerial prouncements in reality they take years.

So we exit transition both fully out of the EU and fully disconnected. However as we won't even have independently discovered man's red fire by that point we will be unable to go anywhere. As I keep saying, a proud independent UK disconnected from the EU gravy train. But not actually under power, still buffered up to the EU being pushed in the same direction at the same speed. We will open talks with Merica and others and as the deals they offer will inevitably be inferior to the ones we enjoy being pushed along by the EU our need to do deals will recede into the distance.

Eventually someone will lift the coupling back over the hook. We will carry on technically independent but practically connected in every way. A triumph of English exceptionalism

I'd love to negotiate with Boris Johnson. The EU officials must be pissing themselves. He couldn't negotiate a discount at SCS. To all those Tory members that thought making a clown PM was a good idea, I say, well done!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited June 2020

My COVID one is still going strong, so not sweating on that. I keep opening cupboards throughout the house and find Mrs U has stashed tins or packets of stuff there.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    dixiedean said:

Priti Patel showing admirable consistency here.
    She is growing on me.
    No doubt where she stands. And no doubt that she believes what she says. No side about her.

35/1 for next PM.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,965
    edited June 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

In the overall scheme of things this is a mistake. There are a lot of vulnerable children that we have had limited contact with for too long. The risk is come the holidays they will go off grid completely. This is a good way to stay in touch and give them an out if they need it and in the scheme of things the money is modest.
    The school would have to be open for several hours to make it worthwhile. Especially if the children can't all be delivered at once due to social distancing.

Who is going to do the supervising?

Edit: Is this about "food parcels" being stopped rather than actual school meals? In which case, they don't provide much contact...
    The same people who have been available to cover key workers' kids and vulnerable kids during the previous holiday.
    That's slightly different though. If there is a club of some sort at the school anyway, then fine.

I thought the noise was about the government stopping food parcels and / or food vouchers?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

Interesting different expectations on the likelihood of Britain having an ethnic minority PM:

Barack Obama, a black American was elected President of the USA in 2008.
    How likely, if at all, do you think it is that a black, Asian or mixed-race politician will become Prime Minister of Britain within the next 10 to 20 years?

Likely (Certain/Very/Fairly) / Unlikely (n.v. likely, v unlikely, certain) [net]

Con: 86 / 12 [+74]
    Lab: 69 / 31 [+38]
    LibD: 79 / 21 [+58]

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2020-06/race-inequality-june-2020-tables.pdf

Who could they have in mind?

#Priti4Leader ?
    Gove considering blacking up!!
    Gove gives update on Trade talks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCQUB0wjSH4&list=PLIYK95crb_c_NTB39-bhuAa3bsAzbgwab&index=53
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,678

Scott_xP said:
    I suppose that stops the scientists from having to front unscientific policy changes
    Good. The scientists have been wrong too often and are not accountable for when they make these poor decisions. At least we get the chance to vote Boris out in a few years.
  • Options
    Looks as if Primark have done well today
  • Options
    Builders' merchant Travis Perkins will slash 2,500 jobs and close 165 stores
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

She is growing on me.
    No doubt where she stands. And no doubt that she believes what she says. No side about her.

35/1 for next PM.
    like poison ivy?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,207
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    I suppose that stops the scientists from having to front unscientific policy changes
    Good. The scientists have been wrong too often and are not accountable for when they make these poor decisions. At least we get the chance to vote Boris out in a few years.
    Assuming we survive. :smile:
  • Options

That does surprise me. Lots of DIY going on around here
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    Assuming he is still leader in 4 years.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

In the overall scheme of things this is a mistake. There are a lot of vulnerable children that we have had limited contact with for too long. The risk is come the holidays they will go off grid completely. This is a good way to stay in touch and give them an out if they need it and in the scheme of things the money is modest.
    The school would have to be open for several hours to make it worthwhile. Especially if the children can't all be delivered at once due to social distancing.

Edit: Is this about "food parcels" being stopped rather than actual school meals? In which case, they don't provide much contact...
    The same people who have been available to cover key workers' kids and vulnerable kids during the previous holiday.
    That's slightly different though. If there is a club of some sort at the school anyway, then fine.

I thought the noise was about the government stopping food parcels and / or food vouchers?
    The vouchers etc are very much a fall back. The principal idea is that they come in for a cooked meal provided by the school kitchens. I can see a lot of upsides in such a scheme.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Is it me or has there been a marked acceleration in the decline of deaths over the last week or so?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Several garden parties have been spotted in Chipping Norton - so I'm told.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So 1% fewer people think Brexit was wrong now than voted Remain in 2016, 5 months after Brexit happened
    Based on your maths, 12% fewer people think Brexit was right compared to those who voted for it. The Tory party is shackled to a corpse of a political project.
    Some corpse. We have left
    Quite.
    Shackled to a corpse with unbreakable shackles.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

DavidL said:

No, this is about the voucher scheme.
    As the link makes quite clear:
    The Manchester United and England striker has urged politicians to perform a U-turn and ensure that vulnerable pupils can continue to access the national voucher scheme, which was introduced in March to help poorer families feed their children when schools were closed under lockdown measures....
    IOW it would be administratively extremely simple to continue.
  • Options

Maybe but far less construction work.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071

Scott_xP said:
    Scottish split:

SNP 49%
    SCon 22%
    SLab 16%
    Grn 7%
    SLD 7%
    BP1%

Fantastic figure for the Greens.
    Either Scotland is a very left leaning country or many of those SNP voters are not really on the left at all.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

But we had eye witness reports right here.....
    I might be wrong, but it appears to me that the folk seeing blokes getting their throats cut right in front of the cops and our brave lads being hunted down by feral packs of Mau Mau are almost exactly the same types who see the hand of Islamic terrorism in every road accident or poor loon going off on one. Must be hell to be on that hair trigger of hysteria the whole time.
    TBF, occasionally the wolf does actually exist.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

"Today, we must decide whether an employer can fire someone simply for being homosexual or transgender. The answer is clear. An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids."
    -- Neil Gorsuch

That is some hot fire on the dissenting judges.

Impossible to argue with that. Its crystal clear.
    Not necessarily. Someone might fire a man for being gay but not a woman for being a lesbian.

Unless they were also firing all the heterosexual women for being attracted to men then no, it is clearly caught by title vii protection.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My fear is that summer schools will be seen as solving the problem of greater inequalities in education arising from the lockdown. A typical need to be seen to be doing something, anything.

The reality is that, for the majority of pupils, there will be plenty of time to understand and mitigate the impact of the past few months. State schools should be given additional funding over the next, say, five years to understand and address the impact on individual pupils. The approach should be quite different for pupils at different stages to reflect how much time they have left in education. It won’t be cheap but it can be done if schools are given the resources to design and implement the right solutions for their pupils over time.

It’s not universally bad news. As a school Governor, I have kept in contact with the Subject Leaders with whom I am linked; they tell me that some pupils have produced surprisingly good work during lockdown, better than during normal times. They say this mainly involves lower ability boys who have relished project based homework, undisturbed by mates, unworried about the stigma of being seen to enjoy schoolwork. Whatever the reasons, time should be taken to understand and build positively on these experiences.
  • Options
    My son in year 10 will return to school next week - for one day a week. Apparently Government guidance is that at most a quarter of the year group can attend at once. As they are the only year group to be attending school this seems very cautious.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,275

HYUFD said:

It isn't, the median voter is don't know, most of them voted Leave and do not yet regret it.

However given 40% think Brexit was right, that is still enough to keep the Tories in power under FPTP on its own
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,057
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

She is growing on me.

35/1 for next PM.
    Everything I said above means she has Bob Hope of being next Tory leader.
    Unless she shapes up and starts dissembling and parroting what focus groups tell her that is.
  • Options

With regards to the new 6 week deadline on a Brexit deal, the UK has already folded. Who knew that you couldn't create a physical international border and all the systems to apply tariffs and checks to literally everything crossing the border in jist a few months? Ok HMRC knew. Ok the ports knew. Ok the hauliers knew. But as we've had enough of experts it would have been unfair to expect ministers to know.

So, upon the termination of transition we will have a border wide open with no checks at all like now. The EU will permit such an arrangement on the basis that whilst the UK has the Right to have independent trade deals, no such deals will exist for years because unlike twatty ministerial prouncements in reality they take years.

So we exit transition both fully out of the EU and fully disconnected. However as we won't even have independently discovered man's red fire by that point we will be unable to go anywhere. As I keep saying, a proud independent UK disconnected from the EU gravy train. But not actually under power, still buffered up to the EU being pushed in the same direction at the same speed. We will open talks with Merica and others and as the deals they offer will inevitably be inferior to the ones we enjoy being pushed along by the EU our need to do deals will recede into the distance.

Eventually someone will lift the coupling back over the hook. We will carry on technically independent but practically connected in every way. A triumph of English exceptionalism

I'd love to negotiate with Boris Johnson. The EU officials must be pissing themselves. He couldn't negotiate a discount at SCS. To all those Tory members that thought making a clown PM was a good idea, I say, well done!
    Boris was elected Tory leader to deliver Brexit and beat Corbyn, he has already done both
  • Options

Germany's annual contribution to the EU budget would increase by 42% based on the current proposal from the European Commission, German newspaper Die Welt reported Monday, citing government calculations.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-eu-coronavirus-budget-increase/a-53806800

LOL
    Ouch!! What a cataclysmic desaster!

That might consume around half of our average yearly budget surplus.
    We'll have to start eating turnips to survive...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,868
    DavidL said:

Maybe but far less construction work.
    The builders merchant business is much like the off-license business a couple of years back - a number of outfits offering terrible value for money.

The sector is due a massive shakeout.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,314
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, the median voter is don't know, most of them voted Leave and do not yet regret it.

However given 40% think Brexit was right, that is still enough to keep the Tories in power under FPTP on its own
    Not if the "right but you've capitulated" vote goes to Farage and the "right but you've screwed it up" vote goes to Starmer.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

My son in year 10 will return to school next week - for one day a week. Apparently Government guidance is that at most a quarter of the year group can attend at once. As they are the only year group to be attending school this seems very cautious.

And yet some people on here blame the teachers and want them sacked for following this government edict
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,518

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I would like to emphasise that I was very, very surprised by Gorsuch's concurrence.

If you sack a man for being in a relationship with a man, but you would not sack a woman for being in a relationship with a man you are discriminating. It is both simple and very clever. Deeply sad it is necessary under statute and for the Donald, but there you go.
    Alistair said:

I would like to emphasise that I was very, very surprised by Gorsuch's concurrence.

While Gorsuch was appointed by Trump, he is not as conservative as Alito and Thomas (although still conservative). You can divide the court as follows:

Very liberal - Sotomayor, Ginsburg
    Somewhat liberal - Kagan, Breyer
    Somewhat conservative - Roberts, Gorsuch
    Very conservative - Kavaunagh, Thomas, Alito
    Gorsuch is an originalist which I had taken to assume he would have read Title VII as not meaning sexual orientation.
    Under the very literal argument made by TheWhiteRabbit an originalist definition would still apply here.

Once it was accepted that homosexuality was legal, the rest of these decisions being decided this way was inevitable and could/should have been done under the 14th Amendment. Sacking a man for legally doing what you wouldn't sack a woman for doing (or vice-versa) is clearly breaking the law.
    Indeed, I completely agree with WhiteRabbit's argument and assumed that is how the case would be settled. And indeed it is exactly what Gorsuch says as well. I just didn't expect it!

I am waiting for the SCOTUS website to be less overloaded before I start my hate read of the dissent.
    I would like to point out that I lifted the argument from the judgment and put it in slightly fewer words.

I appreciate that in these days of Twitter that might count as 'original thought' but I am not ready to accept that yet...
    Accurate condensation is a high end skill imo. Especially of legal judgements.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My fear is that summer schools will be seen as solving the problem of greater inequalities in education arising from the lockdown. A typical need to be seen to be doing something, anything.

The reality is that, for the majority of pupils, there will be plenty of time to understand and mitigate the impact of the past few months. State schools should be given additional funding over the next, say, five years to understand and address the impact on individual pupils. The approach should be quite different for pupils at different stages to reflect how much time they have left in education. It won’t be cheap but it can be done if schools are given the resources to design and implement the right solutions for their pupils over time.

It’s not universally bad news. As a school Governor, I have kept in contact with the Subject Leaders with whom I am linked; they tell me that some pupils have produced surprisingly good work during lockdown, better than during normal times. They say this mainly involves lower ability boys who have relished project based homework, undisturbed by mates, unworried about the stigma of being seen to enjoy schoolwork. Whatever the reasons, time should be taken to understand and build positively on these experiences.
    It is not a solution to the problems of inequality but it is a help. Other things may be done as well. Some of those kids will not be in school for 5 more years. Those whose exams were cancelled this year and are under threat next are in particular peril.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What the government should do is go all the way - contract with Eton & Winchester to set up boarding schools for the really poor children.

Averaged over a lifetime, the cheap option.
  • Options
    Awb682Awb682 Posts: 22
    Still flogging the Cummins dead horse??
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If you sack a man for being in a relationship with a man, but you would not sack a woman for being in a relationship with a man you are discriminating. It is both simple and very clever. Deeply sad it is necessary under statute and for the Donald, but there you go.
    Alistair said:

While Gorsuch was appointed by Trump, he is not as conservative as Alito and Thomas (although still conservative). You can divide the court as follows:

Very liberal - Sotomayor, Ginsburg
    Somewhat liberal - Kagan, Breyer
    Somewhat conservative - Roberts, Gorsuch
    Very conservative - Kavaunagh, Thomas, Alito
    Gorsuch is an originalist which I had taken to assume he would have read Title VII as not meaning sexual orientation.
    Under the very literal argument made by TheWhiteRabbit an originalist definition would still apply here.

Once it was accepted that homosexuality was legal, the rest of these decisions being decided this way was inevitable and could/should have been done under the 14th Amendment. Sacking a man for legally doing what you wouldn't sack a woman for doing (or vice-versa) is clearly breaking the law.
    Indeed, I completely agree with WhiteRabbit's argument and assumed that is how the case would be settled. And indeed it is exactly what Gorsuch says as well. I just didn't expect it!

I am waiting for the SCOTUS website to be less overloaded before I start my hate read of the dissent.
    I would like to point out that I lifted the argument from the judgment and put it in slightly fewer words.

I appreciate that in these days of Twitter that might count as 'original thought' but I am not ready to accept that yet...
    Accurate condensation is a high end skill imo...
    Is that the ability to rain on very small parades ?
  • Options

Its absurd. My son's school have made plans for their return after the holidays for 2m, 1m, no distancing and remote learning. Its a bit of a nightmare for them. Older children are going to get blocks of the same subject for a whole morning or afternoon to reduce their travel around the school as much as possible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

Dual purpose for second wave too
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,518

Germany's annual contribution to the EU budget would increase by 42% based on the current proposal from the European Commission, German newspaper Die Welt reported Monday, citing government calculations.

LOL

Yes - hate to say it but you Germans seem to always be that one step ahead of the game.

Looks like you might be solving the Maddie case now too. Our plods have been at that one for yonks with no joy.

Grrr.
  • Options

LOL

You'll have to prise them out of @malcolmg's cold dead hands first.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    DavidL said:

Rexel56 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It is not a solution to the problems of inequality but it is a help. Other things may be done as well. Some of those kids will not be in school for 5 more years. Those whose exams were cancelled this year and are under threat next are in particular peril.
    Indeed, thus the suggestion that the approach be tailored depending on how much time pupils do have left in the system (maybe even adding one or two years for some). Next summer’s exams are certainly a concern. Our working assumption is that there will again be an element of school assessment of grades, possibly combined with slimmed down exams. Certainly, pupils will be encouraged to take topic and termly assessments seriously, especially the Christmas mocks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxfse85yYpM
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,510
    I watched Drakeford at lunchtime.

Normally someone I have no time for. The pandemic has made him appear less of a clown. In fairness he is now coming over as more forthright and self assured than for example Raab earlier and Johnson generally.

More or less on topic i.e Johnson's general performance.

My big takeaway from the press conference was that Drakeford stated he has not spoken with the PM for three weeks this Thursday or any other cabinet member bar the Secretary of State for Wales. He is apparently in regular contact with counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,742

NEW THREAD

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not if the "right but you've capitulated" vote goes to Farage and the "right but you've screwed it up" vote goes to Starmer.
    No even then too if the Remain vote goes to the LDs, SNP and Greens too and some Leavers also shift from Labour to Farage
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:
    Visitor to Bicester Village furious at other people visiting Bicester Village.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,571
    DavidL said:

LOL

Say something rude about Alex Salmond and he’ll throw them at you.
This discussion has been closed.