Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Food, Glorious Food!

Comments

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    How about putting up statues of William Wilberforce in Bristol?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,291
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:
    Fox seems to be going all in with the “theatre’s answer to Nigel Farage” persona.
    The BBC, like Channel 4 News, does occasionally mimic Radio Pyongyang and it's relaxing to have one solitary luvvie to say so.
    It wasn’t of course the maiden voyage of the Hindenburg though. It had made 19 prior flights, nine to Rio and ten to New York.
    Have you read Empire of the Skies yet? It's a terrific history of the Zeppelins.
    One day, when I have time, I want to write a history of the British airship industry from 1917 to 1930.

If so many people hadn’t been killed through sheer fuckwittery it would be one of the great comedy history novels of them all.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,223
    tlg86 said:

BBC News interviewing a molecular epidemiologist from the University of Basel who literally just said: "racism and the consequences of racism have killed many many more people than the coronavirus."

Well that's alright then, let's stop worrying about COVID-19.

That might be turned on its head in the light of this weekend's protests.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Bloody Mossad! Is there anything they can't do?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Alistair said:

I presume we blame the people pulling down the statue on Big Dom, right?

https://twitter.com/thomdvorak/status/1269670547710980096?s=19
    never trust the opinion of some random on twitter with 'bin brexit' in their blurb
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2020
    A total of 27 police officers were hurt during anti-racism protests in London, the Met Police has revealed.

Protests on Saturday - sparked by the death of George Floyd - were largely peaceful, but were marred later by disturbances outside Downing Street.

One demonstrator, who was not at Downing Street, saw officers "acting very aggressively" elsewhere.

Largely peaceful say the BBC, just 27 officers hurt....and the BBC back it up with somebody who wasn't there says they thought the police were horrid, but obviously no evidence.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Only 1326 positive cases today - previous Sundays were 1936, 2409, 3142, 3923 and 4339.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    isam said:

Who will these protestors vote for?

Not Conservative or Labour in all likelyhood, unless Sir Keir refuses to condemn Jezza's little soldiers

Green Surge I say

They almost all voted for Corbyn, however now their Messiah has gone I would agree some will vote Green or SWP with a few sticking with Labour
  • Options

Amazing all the labourites cheering on criminal behaviour. Remember their outrage at Big Dom behaviour and.claims he would encourage the dangerous behaviour by the public.

Now we literally have labourites advocating forget covid (that think that disproportionately kills BAME individuals) and get into mobs to go smash shit up.

Lots of stuff used to be illegal that shouldn't have been. Some stuff is still illegal that shouldn't be. Sometimes doing what's right matters more than obeying the law. Plenty of stuff would never have changed if nobody had been willing to break the law.
    A statue of a man who became wealthy on the bloody murder of the slave trade should have been taken down years ago. If this was the only way to get it done, I am happy to applaud it.
    So give me an apology for your role in the Irish Potato Famine.

Now.
    Are you drinking already? That doesn't even make sense.
    Irish Lives Matter

though not to you it seems
    These Brits do love a good famine to keep the oppressed happy.

The Bengal Famine wasn't just an isolated incident.
  • Options
    He just can’t help himself, can he?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

Amazing all the labourites cheering on criminal behaviour. Remember their outrage at Big Dom behaviour and.claims he would encourage the dangerous behaviour by the public.

Now we literally have labourites advocating forget covid (that think that disproportionately kills BAME individuals) and get into mobs to go smash shit up.

Lots of stuff used to be illegal that shouldn't have been. Some stuff is still illegal that shouldn't be. Sometimes doing what's right matters more than obeying the law. Plenty of stuff would never have changed if nobody had been willing to break the law.
    A statue of a man who became wealthy on the bloody murder of the slave trade should have been taken down years ago. If this was the only way to get it done, I am happy to applaud it.
    Bristol have an elected mayor. They have a democraticly elected council. Lobby them to have it removed...oh wait they did, and the people of Bristol, including descendants of the slave trade, said no leave it.

So instead a load of white folk decided to rip it down.
    Why so fixated on the race of the people involved? (The photo I saw of the slave trading baby murdering bastard being thrown in the river showed a mixed and predominantly black crowd anyway).
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857

I literally would not exist without the Empire, and although NZ is perhaps at one end of the spectrum when it comes to post-imperial states (and not without its own flaws), I tend to think the world is a better place with NZ in it.

Are you implying that the world would be a worse place if New Zealand were Polynesian?
    NZ has the highest Polynesian population in the world.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Hungarians found a solution to the problem of unwanted monuments years ago: a statue park.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I assume because it was grade 2 protected they'll have to restore it? :D

Yes.

What’s more, if those who pulled it down are identified, they’ll have to pay for it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

The Hungarians found a solution to the problem of unwanted monuments years ago: a statue park.

This one wasn't even unwanted.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Foxy said:

I seem to be the only person on here, broadly proud of the “Empire” (without which my home country would not exist), broadly sympathetic to BLM, a bit disconcerted to see a Grade II statue topple, but with an intemperate loathing of Trump and Johnson.

I am “centrist Dad”.

New Zealand was in theory settled by agreement*, and Maori rights protected in law from the beginning, so a bit different to other colonies.

* yes, I know the treaty has been disputed from the beginning, and that there were three Maori wars as well as continuing land disputes etc.
    I think the modern tendency in this country to say the Empire was unredeemingly awful is regrettable.

It was what it was, and once it became both militarily and morally unsustainable, it was wound up pretty quickly.

I literally would not exist without the Empire, and although NZ is perhaps at one end of the spectrum when it comes to post-imperial states (and not without its own flaws), I tend to think the world is a better place with NZ in it.

There are still Empires. China and the USA are both Empires. If we accept that, we can see that not all Empires are equal, and that perhaps Empires are an unavoidable element of human history.
    They are not Empires, superpowers maybe but not Empires, they do not have colonies
  • Options

Bristol have an elected mayor. They have a democraticly elected council. Lobby them to have it removed...oh wait they did, and the people of Bristol, including descendants of the slave trade, said no leave it.

Why so fixated on the race of the people involved? (The photo I saw of the slave trading baby murdering bastard being thrown in the river showed a mixed and predominantly black crowd anyway).
    No it didn’t. Look at their hands, not at their masks.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

Youre not even from Bengal

So you should apolgise too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Are you implying that the world would be a worse place if New Zealand were Polynesian?
    And the USA has the highest Cherokee population in the world...
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

Sunil keeps going on about that too, but I think he’s from Kerala.

But why stop there? Shouldn’t the Nepalese apologise for their role in the Amritsar Massacre?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    edited June 2020

Only 1326 positive cases today - previous Sundays were 1936, 2409, 3142, 3923 and 4339.

From that dataset, by specimen day....

Yes, our old friend reporting lag...
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

I'm sure one of my ancestors was from there.

But I apologise for the Irish famine, and we should give Northern Ireland back to the Republic as compensation.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

@Cyclefree

Sorry, very interesting read. Got sidetracked by various Deplorables into a frenzy of culture war posting.

Feeling tired and floppy now so cannot continue on this thread.

I'll be missing you...
    Sarcasm utterly wasted I'm afraid.

I'm not even reading the comments now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bloody Mossad! Is there anything they can't do?
    Kill the right waiter?
  • Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    Surrey said:

Pulpstar said:

Churchill it seems.
    Possibilities include

1. The equestrian statue of Charles I, licenser and supporter of slave traders, that looks along Whitehall.

2. The statue of Charles II, charterer of the Royal African Company founded in 1660 shortly after the restoration, in Soho Square.

3. The statue of James II, the leading figure in the said Company who as Duke of York had his slaves branded "DY" and gave his name to the city and state of New York, in front of the National Gallery.

There's nothing stopping Boris Johnson from addressing the country tonight and saying we get the point, we're with you, there was no justification for slavery then and there's none for honouring slavers now, we'll take them down.
    For a longer list, see Madge Dresser, Set in Stone? Statues and Slavery in London.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Big drug problem, huh?
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

But I apologise for the Irish famine, and we should give Northern Ireland back to the Republic as compensation.
    You have a strange concept of compensation.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    How long until right wingers tear down statues of Karl Marx? He must have more blood on his hands than almost anyone else.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

The Bengal famine was caused by the Japanese, not by the British.
  • Options
    Regarding Alastair's thread, I think it is more class than racism.

The middle and upper classes do well, and a lot of BAME aren't in those classes.

My grandfather turned up in this country from a country far away and he was instantly a member of the middle class.

Had he have been a manual worker working in the mills I'm not sure I'd have had the same life opportunities that I've enjoyed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,691

Boris needs to get a grip. He's looking like a helpless, passive observer as events explode around him. Covid, street anarchy, crashing out of the Single Market - these are not the features of a government in control. It's madness.

I cannot see this polling helping Trump. Not seen an equivalent here.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1269654143708401665?s=19
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

How long until right wingers tear down statues of Karl Marx? He must have more blood on his hands than almost anyone else.

I made that very point earlier. It wasn’t terribly well received by certain posters.
  • Options
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

The areas most affected by the Irish famine were in western and southern Ireland which are already in the Republic of Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is also richer than Northern Ireland now so would have to subsidise the latter, not the reverse
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

I would happily endorse the removal of any statues of British people who played any role in the Irish famine. It was a monstrous crime and another example of our problematic history. The Atlantic slave economy and the plantations at their core built on the British colonial experiment in Ireland, as you know, so the two issues are of course related. Since I am part Irish I'm certainly not going to deny that Irish lives matter, I'd like to see them mattering a whole lot more, in a united Ireland by consent. I'm just a bit confused as to why you are bringing it up since we weren't talking about it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    What do you mean by “we”?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Boris needs to get a grip. He's looking like a helpless, passive observer as events explode around him. Covid, street anarchy, crashing out of the Single Market - these are not the features of a government in control. It's madness.

It's a dynamic situation. Wait until Trump does something divisive that forces his opponents to oppose in a way that voters don't really agree with.
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

I would happily endorse the removal of any statues of British people who played any role in the Irish famine. It was a monstrous crime and another example of our problematic history. The Atlantic slave economy and the plantations at their core built on the British colonial experiment in Ireland, as you know, so the two issues are of course related. Since I am part Irish I'm certainly not going to deny that Irish lives matter, I'd like to see them mattering a whole lot more, in a united Ireland by consent. I'm just a bit confused as to why you are bringing it up since we weren't talking about it.
    So just to be clear - you want to tear down every statue of Gladstone?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I seem to be the only person on here, broadly proud of the “Empire” (without which my home country would not exist), broadly sympathetic to BLM, a bit disconcerted to see a Grade II statue topple, but with an intemperate loathing of Trump and Johnson.

I am “centrist Dad”.

New Zealand was in theory settled by agreement*, and Maori rights protected in law from the beginning, so a bit different to other colonies.

* yes, I know the treaty has been disputed from the beginning, and that there were three Maori wars as well as continuing land disputes etc.
    I think the modern tendency in this country to say the Empire was unredeemingly awful is regrettable.

It was what it was, and once it became both militarily and morally unsustainable, it was wound up pretty quickly.

There are still Empires. China and the USA are both Empires. If we accept that, we can see that not all Empires are equal, and that perhaps Empires are an unavoidable element of human history.
    They are not Empires, superpowers maybe but not Empires, they do not have colonies
    John Darwin, one of the best historians of the British Empire, talks about the three separate but overlapping components: Global maritime power and trade; India and other extractive colonies; and the Dominions.

In the broader view, an Empire doesn’t need formal colonies.

• Options

Well I'm great at selling shit sandwiches.
  • Options
    whiff of anti semitism TSE
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

The middle and upper classes do well, and a lot of BAME aren't in those classes.

My grandfather turned up in this country from a country far away and he was instantly a member of the middle class.

Had he have been a manual worker working in the mills I'm not sure I'd have had the same life opportunities that I've enjoyed.

Indeed, it’s why we should have a grammar school in every town.

(runs and hides)
  • Options

And the USA has the highest Cherokee population in the world...
    But I’m not arguing about the USA.

I’m talking about NZ, a parliamentary and multi-ethnic democracy.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

What do you mean by “we”?
    The royal we.

So rather than accept personal responsibility for my error, I can blame the collective.
  • Options

Well I'm great at selling shit sandwiches.
    Never knew you worked for Pret A Manger.
  • Options

Lets be honest the crowd was almost entirely white. It was in no way diverse and reflective of the ages and background of Bristol.
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

]Because you asking people to apolgise for evernts outside there experience is as logical as me holding you responsible for potato blight.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

52% of Americans back deploying the military to control violent protests
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/52-americans-support-deploying-military-control-violent-protests/story?id=71097167&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_three_posts_card_hed
  • Options
    Brom said:

Lets be honest the crowd was almost entirely white. It was in no way diverse and reflective of the ages and background of Bristol.
    Why on earth does this matter?

Is it only ok if black people resent physical legacies of the slave trade?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,715
    Used to live round the corner from there.....jolly civilised it was too.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

From 142,123 tests, so it doesn't look like the latest step in the steady decline is down to an unusually low number of tests. We're also a week on from the latest set of baby steps in the unshuttering of society, with no obvious signs from the testing data as yet of a spike in cases. This is encouraging.

Looking at past Sundays...

Covid: Daily deaths announced on Sundays by the NHS in England

7th June: 72
    31st May: 85
    24th May: 147
    17th May: 90
    10th May: 178
    3rd May: 327
    26th April: 336
    19th April: 482
    12th April: 657
    5th April: 555

The peak in early April is, of course, obvious - but it also looks like evidence for the "fat tail" on the death graph (suggested by @Foxy IIRC.) Even if new cases don't start to trend upwards again it may be quite a long time before the fatalities really begin to peter out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Big drug problem, huh?
    Bob Marley was/is a hero to many NZers.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery!
  • Options
    Can we all take a moment to appreciate this brilliant story.

Young robbery suspects arrested after flagging down unmarked police car they thought was their getaway taxi

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/robbery-suspects-arrested-taxi-police-18378862
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

yet another bash the yanks thread

Don’t worry. I’ll be bashing China next.

Now I seemed to remember a poster on here saying woke-ism was dead because of covid and we wouldn't be like the US. Now we have mobs pulling down statues they don't like.
    That one certainly deserved to be ripped down.

There are quite a few statues of old white imperialists around our cities which should go the same way.
    If people want to get rid of something, it should be done via democratic means. Having mobs ripping stuff down is not the way.
    Bet you didn't say that about the Berlin Wall and statues of Ceaușescu

#hypocrisy
    Oh really! There is a big difference between Britain and the DDR and Ceaușescu‘s Romania.
    DougSeal said:

Good. Should have been taken down years ago, it's a shame it took concerned citizens to act for it to go.
    Yes, illegal vandalism of historic monuments by a mob is so wonderful, isn't it?
    In this specific case, it most certainly is! Put it in a museum. Black people should not be forced to view a monument to a man who saw them as chattel.
    Should Irish Catholics be forced to view a monument to Cromwell, a man who viewed them as people to be killed, deprived of their land and generally treated like lesser beings?

I am in favour of putting up explanatory signs giving a fuller and more accurate account of the people remembered in statues, precisely because we should not seek to obliterate the past but understand it better. Mob rule and criminal damage do neither.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It's also a matter of education and attitudes to education.

The extreme example of this can be seen in the US. For example, very poor Chinese immigrants in New York have done very well in getting into the selective schools run by the state.

So well, in fact that the Mayor of New York has discussed a quota system to "rebalance the intake" -

https://www.ft.com/content/23308a34-bd2c-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

• Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Churchill was a racist, but probably the best racist in the world.

https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1269677273927557121

Just days ago he was a celebrated anti-fascist. How quickly times change.
    That statue of Churchill always gets defaced. I remember him getting a grass mohawk when some green group did their protests a few years back. That was a bit more imaginative than this of course.
    Wasn’t that the anti-capitalism protests in London in the late 90s?

iirc the anticapitalist protests had a well-earned breather in the early to mid noughties.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    edited June 2020

If they are going to destroy everything in Bristol with any links to the slave trade, the city will soon look like Coventry after the war.

The protesters need to be careful.

If they carry on like this public opinion will be against them
    The breakdown of that poll shows why it's likely too early to pay much attention to them.

No way Biden will be at only a +73% margin with black voters on election day.
  • Options
    This claim originated with the - to put it mildly - unreliable organisation USCPR, who make Paul Eisen look like a reasonable and honest human being. They specialise in promoting anti-Israeli propaganda to support the BDS movement. I’m not sure that we can take it as read that this has in fact happened, as your correspondent seems to.

Put it this way, why would a police force go to a foreign embassy for training?
  • Options

The extreme example of this can be seen in the US. For example, very poor Chinese immigrants in New York have done very well in getting into the selective schools run by the state.

Too well. So well, in fact that the Mayor of New York has discussed a quota system to stop this -

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http://com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/17ca4c32-e8ee-11e9-a240-3b065ef5fc55?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=700

Yup, I was raised by parents and grandparents who saw a good education as a gateway to a great life.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This claim originated with the - to put it mildly - unreliable organisation USCPR, who make Paul Eisen look like a reasonable and honest human being. They specialise in promoting anti-Israeli propaganda to support the BDS movement. I’m not sure that we can take it as read that this has in fact happened, as your correspondent seems to.

Ah.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

Wait until the criminal behaviour ends up on their doorstep. Then they'll be howling into the seven heavens about the injustice. Proper "what have I done" Alec Guinness stuff.

It'll be too late by then, of course.
    Will they?

Would Dawn Butler MP even notice?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Churchill was a racist, but probably the best racist in the world.

https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1269677273927557121

Just days ago he was a celebrated anti-fascist. How quickly times change.
    That statue of Churchill always gets defaced. I remember him getting a grass mohawk when some green group did their protests a few years back. That was a bit more imaginative than this of course.
    Wasn’t that the anti-capitalism protests in London in the late 90s?

iirc the anticapitalist protests had a well-earned breather in the early to mid noughties.
    Kind of took a back seat to 9/11 and it’s after-effects.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IIRC correctly, when De Mendes was shot in London, the Met Police claimed at one point they were following Israeli techniques with suicide bombers.

The Israelis pointed out that was bollocks - among other things, they have caught quite a number of suicide bombers alive.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2020
    nunu2 said:

If they are going to destroy everything in Bristol with any links to the slave trade, the city will soon look like Coventry after the war.

If they carry on like this public opinion

twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1269618145905520641

Twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1269617686968926212

The breakdown of that poll shows why it's likely too early to pay much attention to them.

In the UK, as soon as protests turn violent, historically the public don't like it. Big peaceful anti-war or brexit protests, no issues. The anti-capitalist ones the public didn't like nor as soon as the student ones turned violent.

We aren't France, where it is expected you set fire to stuff and have a dust up with the police, otherwise it wasn't a proper protest.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nunu2 said:

If they carry on like this public opinion will be against them

That would be a horrendously apocalyptic figure for Biden. Absolutely disasterous.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

I made that very point earlier. It wasn’t terribly well received by certain posters.
    I'm not aware of any statues of Karl Marx in the UK. Just his tomb, in Highgate cemetery, which has been defaced regularly.
  • Options

nunu2 said:

If they carry on like this public opinion

twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1269618145905520641

Twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1269617686968926212

In the UK, as soon as protests turn violent, historically the public don't like it. Big peaceful anti-war or brexit protests, no issues. The anti-capitalist ones the public didn't like nor as soon as the student ones turned violent.

We aren't France, where it is expected you set fire to stuff and have a dust up with the police, otherwise it wasn't a proper protest.
    The chaos outside the Dems conference in 1968 was probably the last straw that tipped the election to Nixon.

When you consider how many truly formidable handicaps Humphrey was labouring under, the fact he lost by such a narrow margin says a lot about how strong a candidate he might have been in other circumstances.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

I'm not aware of any statues of Karl Marx in the UK. Just his tomb, in Highgate cemetery, which has been defaced regularly.
    Well, technically it was a statue of Engels we were talking about.

Edit - it’s interesting to note this particular statue had itself been demolished and defaced before being re-erected in Manchester.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/soviet-engels-statue
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Thought Manchester is a hot spot for covid

https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1269674931308179458?s=09
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Too well. So well, in fact that the Mayor of New York has discussed a quota system to stop this -

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http://com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/17ca4c32-e8ee-11e9-a240-3b065ef5fc55?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=700

Yup, I was raised by parents and grandparents who saw a good education as a gateway to a great life.
    A school friend ended up as a step child in a Chinese family. He described it as being part of an engine designed to produce progress - for the family as a unit.

He was expected to work for virtually nothing in the family business.

In return all food, fees, loans, books & travel was provided by the family. When he went to university, he was given enough to ensure he didn't have to work. All contingent on getting good grades.

What he did have to do, was look after the house that was bought by the family as an investment - and fill it with his student friends as paying lodgers.
  • Options
    It is, death is a lagging indicator for new infections.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

So well, in fact that the Mayor of New York has discussed a quota system to "rebalance the intake" -

In the UK at least I'm not sure that's true. It's a while since I've seen research in this area, but as far as I was aware education was taken more seriously in working class black families when compared with working class white families.

The differences tended to be from attitudes outside the family - in particular from schools.

• Options

Young robbery suspects arrested after flagging down unmarked police car they thought was their getaway taxi

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/robbery-suspects-arrested-taxi-police-18378862

I recall an anguished appeal by a lawyer, many years ago. A judge in Oxford Crown Court had been very sarcastic, when sentencing his client. Feelings were hurt apparently.

The chap in question had tried to steal a car. An occupied car, it turned out, to his surprise. Occupied by two police officers. In uniform.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,691
    Thanks @Cyclefree for such a good piece. It looks to me as if the government is not all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Chlorinated chicken is emblematic of wider issues. Bucaneering free market and tough luck to the farmers/manufacturers etc or taking control of our own food regulations and onshore goods in a buy British campaign?

I suspect the financiers of Brexit fancy the former, but it will be like a turd in the swimming pool for the majority of patriotic Brexit voters, particularly in the Red/Blue Wall.

It is not going to be possible to ride both horses for much longer. A choice is going to have to be made.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

From 142,123 tests, so it doesn't look like the latest step in the steady decline is down to an unusually low number of tests. We're also a week on from the latest set of baby steps in the unshuttering of society, with no obvious signs from the testing data as yet of a spike in cases. This is encouraging.

Looking at past Sundays...

Covid: Daily deaths announced on Sundays by the NHS in England

7th June: 72
    31st May: 85
    24th May: 147
    17th May: 90
    10th May: 178
    3rd May: 327
    26th April: 336
    19th April: 482
    12th April: 657
    5th April: 555

The peak in early April is, of course, obvious - but it also looks like evidence for the "fat tail" on the death graph (suggested by @Foxy IIRC.) Even if new cases don't start to trend upwards again it may be quite a long time before the fatalities really begin to peter out.
    In the best traditions of television, here is one I did earlier....

• Options
    edited June 2020

I recall an anguished appeal by a lawyer, many years ago. A judge in Oxford Crown Court had been very sarcastic, when sentencing his client. Feelings were hurt apparently.

The chap in question had tried to steal a car. An occupied car, it turned out, to his surprise. Occupied by two police officers. In uniform.

If I had been the judge, I would have contented myself with suggesting that somebody that dumb was maybe not suited to a life of crime.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/1269660628953763840

Is mobs tearing down statues "getting to grips with history"?

It's certainly physically getting a grip I suppose.

But he was fine with having Corbyn as leader. Labour MPs shouting about racism now have a brass neck given their record over the last 4 years.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nothing gets my goat more than the ludicrous historical revisionism that states that everyone was absolutely totally fine with slavery whilst slavery was happening.

In reality there was massive pressure against it. Be it the British Empire or the fledgling United States.

When you look at contemporary letters even a great number of the fucking slave owners knew what they were doing was morally reprehensible.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If I had been the judge, I would have contented myself with suggesting that somebody that dumb was maybe not suited to a life of crime.
    IIRC the judge was pretty savage about his stupidity. His lawyers whining achieved a Streisand effect and nothing more...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

There's a statue on the tombstone :-) .

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

But he was fine with having Corbyn as leader. Labour MPs shouting about racism now have a brass neck given their record over the last 4 years.
    Corbyn's formulation of being against "racism in all its forms" is very similar to the BLM retort that "all lives matter".
  • Options
    a
    Cyclefree said:

It’s always easy to be on the right side of history when it’s history.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It is, death is a lagging indicator for new infections.
    Both deaths and cases are reported with considerable lags - the numbers are for a number of past days. Add in weekend effects....

Cases are thus (note the last few days of data will really come in next week)

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,223

I remember reading in the Ham and High around 35 years ago about the exploits of a bank robber who stroked the same building society in Kilburn three times. After two successful attempts, on the third occasion he was arrested at the bus stop adjacent to the building society. When questioned by police, he confirmed his modus operandi never changed because the building society was conveniently close to a stop for the bus home.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    The problem with this virus is that it's asymptomatic for a few days.....
  • Options
    On topic, Covid-19 is widening the class divide. The middle classes are eating better, more local food. Those who struggle to make ends meet are seeing their choices deteriorate. The government doesn’t seem to be doing any thinking about this at all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm going to demand reparations from Denmark.

As an Irish Catholic I am looking forward to ENORMOUS reparations from the British state. 😀

But if we ever have PB pub drinkies again, I will put some of the money behind the bar for those of you brave enough to turn up.

There: what could be fairer than that!
  • Options
    nova said:

In the UK at least I'm not sure that's true. It's a while since I've seen research in this area, but as far as I was aware education was taken more seriously in working class black families when compared with working class white families.

The differences tended to be from attitudes outside the family - in particular from schools.

IIRC correctly it became clearer with further segmentation of groups.

"Black": is not a homogeneous culture - Ghanian culture is very different to Afro-Caribbean for example.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    As the numbers come down we are going to see lots of volatility both upwards and downwards in cities and regions. The media will think its a big deal but really as the numbers come down the focus needs to be more on the national picture which has the bigger and therefore more reliable samples.

I imagine something along these lines needs to be posted on a daily basis for the next month, just like the clarifications about the difference between deaths on a day vs deaths reported on a day is strangely needed regularly.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Other than citizens of Bristol have been asked recently and they said they wanted to keep it.
    Time to move on.
    Time to get it out the river and restore it to its rightful place
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

Now.
    You can add one for the highland clearances
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Other than citizens of Bristol have been asked recently and they said they wanted to keep it.
    Time to move on.
    Time to get it out the river and restore it to its rightful place
    They’ll have to get it out of the water anyway. Can’t leave it there contaminating the harbour water.
  • Options

Now.
    Irish Lives Matter

]Because you asking people to apolgise for evernts outside there experience is as logical as me holding you responsible for potato blight.
    When did I ask anybody to apologise? I am just glad that a man who profited from the greatest crime in the history of humanity is no longer being honoured with a statue in one of our cities. I am genuinely surprised that is a controversial view, TBH.
  • Options

I remember reading in the Ham and High around 35 years ago about the exploits of a bank robber who stroked the same building society in Kilburn three times. After two successful attempts, on the third occasion he was arrested at the bus stop adjacent to the building society. When questioned by police, he confirmed his modus operandi never changed because the building society was conveniently close to a stop for the bus home.
    To be fair - he was outdoing RC1000's novice traders. A strategy that worked twice in the real world.

Last year an aquaintance had a burglary in her building. The policeman who came to take statements said that they had already caught the criminal.

Apparently, the description of the distinctive way that the door had been broken open led them to get a warrant. He was discovered to be in possession of a number of the stolen items - computers etc.

Apparently he had just been released from prison. And had followed the same pattern several times before - released, committed the same crime in the same way, caught, sentenced....
This discussion has been closed.