Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big challenge for Johnson and his minsters is that their rat

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,741
    CD13 said:

Boris is a conundrum. He waffles, and I've never heard him finish a sentence yet. A boring version of Frankie Howerd - without the humour. He has no train of thought. Yet he generates odd support, and attracts very nasty hatred.

I have never liked Johnson from the days of him being Mayor of London, for a quite superficial reason; I don't find him funny or charming. I'll forgive a lot of a person that makes me laugh. A buffoon without charm has nothing to offer.

Lots of people disagreed with me then, and now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Scott_xP said:

Presumably Sharma gets the results of his "24hr Corona test" today, as promised by BoZo at PMQs...

We'll find out that when the government said "result within twenty four hours", they meant after three eight-hour working days.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    edited June 2020

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Interesting to hear the editor of the Guardian say yesterday that they had decided to do a feature comparing the stories of health workers in the UK, US and Australia who had died of Coronavirus, but the Australian Guardian came back and said they didn't have any who had died.

The reason we have the worst stats is that we are the best at collecting them.

In regard to the black lives matters march yesterday in the UK, I wonder why people just shrug when almost on a daily basis a black teenager stabs to death another black teenager just becuase of the street that he lives in. Why is there not a march about this, don't these black lives matter?
    Yes, I think you are beginning to understand how systemic racism works.

BLM is about combating systemic racism.
    Young kids in London stabbing each other is nothing to do with race its to do with drugs
    And drug dealing is usually related to lack of role models and other opportunities.

Which sadly is a far greater issue for Black males than any other group (including white working class males)
    Correct, and has been for decades. I'm not sure how you persuade young black people to take parenthood more seriously.
    Here’s an example of everyday racism on my part regarding cultural depictions. A few months ago I watched the Mary Queen of Scots movie with Saoirse Ronan. It is very unlikely that Mary spoke with a heavy Scots accent as she was portrayed, having spent virtually all her childhood in France, and I knew that. However, halfway through I noticed I was less bothered by how Mary sounded than how Thomas Randolph, who was played by black actor Adrian Lester, looked. Neither was I as bothered that Margot Robbie is much much better looking than the historical Elizabeth I. My brain had been trained to ignore those historical inaccuracies, and the many others in the film, save for the amount of melanin in one actor’s skin. That’s systemic racism showing in someone who tries really really hard not to be racist.

Similarly we have no problem with James Bond having a Scots, English, Irish or indeed Australian accent, having brown or blue eyes, chest hair or no chest hair, but if a black actor is ever cast in the role we all know how the usual suspects will react.
    What do you think the response would be if a white actor was cast in the role of playing a black person ?
    What, you mean like this?

https://youtu.be/ocZ0yo81yBA

Or this?

https://youtu.be/KoYOraDt1_k

There's no way around it: that particular casting choice has a terrible track record and it’ll take a long time to erase that history.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Interesting to hear the editor of the Guardian say yesterday that they had decided to do a feature comparing the stories of health workers in the UK, US and Australia who had died of Coronavirus, but the Australian Guardian came back and said they didn't have any who had died.

In regard to the black lives matters march yesterday in the UK, I wonder why people just shrug when almost on a daily basis a black teenager stabs to death another black teenager just becuase of the street that he lives in. Why is there not a march about this, don't these black lives matter?

Young kids in London stabbing each other is nothing to do with race its to do with drugs
    And drug dealing is usually related to lack of role models and other opportunities.

Which sadly is a far greater issue for Black males than any other group (including white working class males)
    Correct, and has been for decades. I'm not sure how you persuade young black people to take parenthood more seriously.
    So, hang on, previous post it was nothing to do with race and now it's all about it?

You aren't very good at this.
    Ahhhh another in denial I see.

I agreed with a poster who said absent fathers are a problem

Others disagreed with me when I stated that young lads stabbing each other is to do with drugs not race.

Is everybody on here so naive?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Scott_xP said:
    Ah, the long-awaited Brexit dividend: halving the EU's daily deaths from Coronavirus.
    It's also crap. If the UK reported its deaths the same way Spain does, we'd have had just 20 deaths yesterday. See Mr Burns-Murdoch for a full rundown.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    The odd thing about that poll is that confidence fell alongside falling deaths and reduced restrictions.

I suspect that many people prefer to be paid to stay at home under lockdown.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Announced deaths, rather than daily deaths (as was said on #Newsnight in the accompanying piece) but pretty stark.

One wonders whether trashing the airline industry with quarantine is really nessecary at this point in time, when we are the hotspot. Quarantine from Brazil, Mexico and USA maybe, but why wreck short-haul?
    I wonder whether the truth is that we realise we are likely to have to prevent travel from the US, but daren't risk upsetting the Orange Blob by being so direct about it?
    I can think of a couple of other practical/presentational problems.

1. You are reliant on accurate knowledge of virus prevalence in other countries. This is difficult because of problems with testing, and the incubation period and asymptotic spread. If there was a second wave in France would we know about it in time to prevent it spreading here in large numbers?

2. If you impose quarantine only on the subset of countries with higher infection rates than the UK, and that list is short, it looks bad.

Both of those reasons point to imposing blanket restrictions that you lift selectively and carefully.
    Not so much carefully - it looks pretty clear that, for fear of being seen to do yet another change of tack, we are pretty quickly going to have a formal quarantine but with "air bridges" to all the places most people will want to go (excepting, possibly, the US).
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    coach said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

And why is nothing effective being done about it?

Is it because it's happening within communities that wider society doesn't care about? Are those communities disproportionately non white?

We call that systemic..... I'll let you fill in the blank.
    Out of interest who is "we"?

You're right, wider society doesn't care, but the white middle class liberals in Islington care alright - where do you think they buy their drugs? Yep, from the black kids on bikes without a care of the consequences.

I've filled in the blank for you, hope it helped.
    White middle class people in Islington all do drugs do they? Like Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson? Do tell us more.
    In my experience of being a white liberal middle class person living in an area with a high BME population, serious deprivation and regular stabbing incidents involving young people, I can tell you there is a lot more concern, activism and support from within the local community here than from the white population as a whole, who seem happy to fall back on ridiculous stereotypes and victim blaming. Perhaps it's different north of the river, but the picture you are painting strikes me as more like an absurd fantasy from a provincial Daily Mail reader than an informed and serious contribution to the debate. We live in the same streets as victims of violence, our kids go to the same schools, do you honestly think we don't care? Grow up.
    Haha! A self confessed "white, liberal, middle class person" telling me to grow up!

You're deluded mate, you're the problem. And keep telling yourself I read the Daily Mail.
    What's wrong with being white, liberal and middle class? Why am I "the problem"? You're the one spouting ill-informed tabloid drivel about the liberal metropolitan elite and their ways, I countered with my actual experience of living in an inner city area blighted by knife crime, and I am the "deluded" one? Seriously, grow up.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Ah, the long-awaited Brexit dividend: halving the EU's daily deaths from Coronavirus.
    It's also crap. If the UK reported its deaths the same way Spain does, we'd have had just 20 deaths yesterday. See Mr Burns-Murdoch for a full rundown.
    Indeed. here (Spain is nearly as bad; Italy better and France quite a lot better; Germany order of magnitude better):

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1267826539619422211
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Here’s an example of everyday racism on my part regarding cultural depictions. A few months ago I watched the Mary Queen of Scots movie with Saoirse Ronan. It is very unlikely that Mary spoke with a heavy Scots accent as she was portrayed, having spent virtually all her childhood in France, and I knew that. However, halfway through I noticed I was less bothered by how Mary sounded than how Thomas Randolph, who was played by black actor Adrian Lester, looked. Neither was I as bothered that Margot Robbie is much much better looking than the historical Elizabeth I. My brain had been trained to ignore those historical inaccuracies, and the many others in the film, save for the amount of melanin in one actor’s skin. That’s systemic racism showing in someone who tries really really hard not to be racist.

Similarly we have no problem with James Bond having a Scots, English, Irish or indeed Australian accent, having brown or blue eyes, chest hair or no chest hair, but if a black actor is ever cast in the role we all know how the usual suspects will react.
    What do you think the response would be if a white actor was cast in the role of playing a black person ?

Or this?

There's no way around it: that particular casting choice has a terrible track record and it’ll take a long time to erase that history.
    I’m afraid a lot of the older people I know can’t see anything wrong with the black and white minstrels and think it should be brought back. I counter it by saying that do they actually think real black people would have been allowed to associate with white girls at that point in history and were more likely to have been lynched Than to dance and sing. This at last makes them think
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646
    coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

So why do you think they are predominantly black then?
    No idea mate, just stating a fact
    Yes you do. You didn't state a fact, you stated an opinion. You said it had nothing to do with race. That is an opinion not a fact. The FACT that a disproportionate number are black implies it is related to race.
    It is a fact, you might find it uncomfortable but its undeniable. Talk to the middle class white people who buy the drugs, they know the score.

And I appreciate you're desperate to call me a racist so just get it over and done with.
    This is weird Do you not know the difference between a fact and an opinion?

Do you not know what systemic means?
    I really have no idea where you're going with this, but its clear you have very little understanding of the drug supply chain in the UK.

I know you don't understand where I am going with this. You don't seem to be able to understand the logic. Doesn't it make you think there's an issue with your thinking when several people use the word weird to describe the structure of your argument.

You are right I know nothing about drug supply. What has that got to do with the argument

Let me ask you, do you think black people are genetically more likely to be drug dealers or do you think there's another reason?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    Finally some clarity in this knife edge contest.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr 43,

I think my dislike of Boris is pure instinct. They used to say that posh families sent their idiot sons into the Army or the Church. Now I think they send them to be journalists, and Boris is first and foremost a journalist.

Incidentally, why does everyone pander to the journalists at the daily press conference? Saying "That's a great question?" when it's clearly one notch above that of moronic.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709

The odd thing about that poll is that confidence fell alongside falling deaths and reduced restrictions.

Money for nothing...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    coach said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

So, hang on, previous post it was nothing to do with race and now it's all about it?

Others disagreed with me when I stated that young lads stabbing each other is to do with drugs not race.

Filed you under "incompetent troll."
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Or this?

So your examples are approximately 50 years old.

You know full well how 'the usual suspects' would react if a white actor was cast in the role of a black person.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Announced deaths, rather than daily deaths (as was said on #Newsnight in the accompanying piece) but pretty stark.

One wonders whether trashing the airline industry with quarantine is really nessecary at this point in time, when we are the hotspot. Quarantine from Brazil, Mexico and USA maybe, but why wreck short-haul?
    I wonder whether the truth is that we realise we are likely to have to prevent travel from the US, but daren't risk upsetting the Orange Blob by being so direct about it?
    I can think of a couple of other practical/presentational problems.

1. You are reliant on accurate knowledge of virus prevalence in other countries. This is difficult because of problems with testing, and the incubation period and asymptotic spread. If there was a second wave in France would we know about it in time to prevent it spreading here in large numbers?

2. If you impose quarantine only on the subset of countries with higher infection rates than the UK, and that list is short, it looks bad.

Both of those reasons point to imposing blanket restrictions that you lift selectively and carefully.
    Also, a reliable way of working out where people have been in the past couple of weeks before they arrive. Someone coming in on a plane from the Schengen zone, or one of the large Middle East airports, can have been quite literally anywhere.
    In March Italy banned flights from China. So people came in via Heathrow and Schiphol instead.
    Yes, and people will book two flights or use two passports if it helps them achieve their aim of getting where they’re going. A flight from AMS or DXB could contain people who have been pretty much anywhere else on Earth only a day or two earlier.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Bollocks

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1267856088449323010

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1267856089661542400

The testing stats are new and very dubious.

But I do think the Office for National Statistics are the gold standard. Their weekly death statistics publication is top notch.
    If the terms of reference requested by the client (HMG) are spurious, the results will be spurious, regardless of the accuracy of the ONS.
    The stats published by the ONS - i.e. the total number of deaths - are independent of government. What's great about the ONS stats is that they are updated on a weekly basis and have been done so for years and years. We can have a lot of confidence in those statistics.
    And yet there is that persistent discrepancy in English data between covid deaths (offiically enumerated) and excess deaths for time of year, that is absent in the Scottish data (as I have pointed out several times). It's not as bad as it was, but it is worrying, becasue something different is being done and we don't know what.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

I'm with Mr S on this; saw the film some time ago and was inspired to try to research whether it was possible that a senior member of Elizabeth's court could have been black. (Ans.....highly unlikely)
    The part that always makes me wonder is the lead in Othello!
  • Options
    kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you do. You didn't state a fact, you stated an opinion. You said it had nothing to do with race. That is an opinion not a fact. The FACT that a disproportionate number are black implies it is related to race.
    It is a fact, you might find it uncomfortable but its undeniable. Talk to the middle class white people who buy the drugs, they know the score.

And I appreciate you're desperate to call me a racist so just get it over and done with.

I really have no idea where you're going with this, but its clear you have very little understanding of the drug supply chain in the UK.

I know you don't understand where I am going with this. You don't seem to be able to understand the logic. Doesn't it make you think there's an issue with your thinking when several people use the word weird to describe the structure of your argument.

You are right I know nothing about drug supply. What has that got to do with the argument

Let me ask you, do you think black people are genetically more likely to be drug dealers or do you think there's another reason?
    I know nothing about genetics and I have no idea why the vast majority of stabbings are drug related and black on black.

You are clearly in denial which only worsens the situation. Wake up man.

And I'll have one last go because I'm genuinely interested, who is "we"?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Presumably Sharma gets the results of his "24hr Corona test" today, as promised by BoZo at PMQs...

We'll find out that when the government said "result within twenty four hours", they meant after three eight-hour working days.
    My cousin developed a fever on Tuesday. Went to the local testing place (Cambs) and had the result (-ve) 24 hrs later ie yesterday.
  • Options

Jackson Carlaw, Leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party. twisting the knife into BoZo’s belly just now on BBC Radio Scotland. He says, repeatedly, that he is “not wholly convinced” by Dominic Cummings’ explanation for his actions.

Classic code for “the man’s a liar”.

Astonishingly, Carlaw has not spoken to his boss BoZo in months. They have only exchanged two text messages since The Clown was released from hospital.

Carlaw sounds like a drowning man, unable to affect either his opponents nor his (supposed) allies.

The Milton Keynes appointee is a real kick in the groin.

MK? *googles for land of concrete coos* Ah - now I see. Blood is sure thicker than residence when it comes to Tories. But what a dunt in the baws to the actual Scottish Tories. Remiunds me of the day when the Scottish Office was run by a MP from Weston-Super-Mare IIRC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-52880226
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Bollocks

But I do think the Office for National Statistics are the gold standard. Their weekly death statistics publication is top notch.
    If the terms of reference requested by the client (HMG) are spurious, the results will be spurious, regardless of the accuracy of the ONS.
    The stats published by the ONS - i.e. the total number of deaths - are independent of government. What's great about the ONS stats is that they are updated on a weekly basis and have been done so for years and years. We can have a lot of confidence in those statistics.
    And yet there is that persistent discrepancy in English data between covid deaths (officially enumerated) and excess deaths for time of year, that is absent in the Scottish data (as I have pointed out several times). It's not as bad as it was, but it is worrying, because something different is being done and we don't know what.
    That's gone now, hasn't it?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending22may2020
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

My cousin developed a fever on Tuesday. Went to the local testing place (Cambs) and had the result (-ve) 24 hrs later ie yesterday.
    If that is typical, then hats off to the NHS and indeed the government. Time will tell.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Indeed. here (Spain is nearly as bad; Italy better and France quite a lot better; Germany order of magnitude better):

We now know that many more people were dying of covid in March than was reported at the time.

I wonder if that information had been available then whether lockdown would have been brought forward a few days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    DougSeal said:
    There's all sorts of tropes to unpack in that one, not just the blacking up! Mexican cultural appropriation, implied promiscuity of the 'innocent child gypsy girl' 'Maria', ...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,454
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

"....the head of England's test and trace programme, Dido Harding, said 84% of tests at drive-through centres were returned within 24 hours, and 95% within 48 hours."
  • Options
    coach said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Assuming you are actually arguing in good faith what you've done is the classic stopping at the first why.

So you've gone from "there are lots of black on black stabbings" WHY "because of drugs".

You seem to have stopped there. Yo need to follow up with all the questions that begs.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

If that is typical, then hats off to the NHS and indeed the government. Time will tell.
    Yep and one data point amongst thousands so who knows. But they are the only person I know who has gone to have a test.
  • Options
    coach said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

No idea what that has to do with absent fathers
    Role models. Cultural depictions are obvious role models.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's pretty impressive.

Do they know how reliable the tests are and does he need to get a second test later ?
  • Options
    And on topic.

If anyone is surprised that people are realising that Boris is a self-seeking, solipsistic, useless if mildly entertaining twat, then I am surprised.
  • Options
    coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

I know nothing about genetics and I have no idea why the vast majority of stabbings are drug related and black on black.

You are clearly in denial which only worsens the situation. Wake up man.

And I'll have one last go because I'm genuinely interested, who is "we"?
    Good grief.

Ok this is going around in circles. The reason for it being black on black is because of systemic racism. Do you know what that means?

Re who is we. No idea what you are talking about.
  • Options
    coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

What are you even arguing then?

I'm saying it is systemic racism is involved. You are saying it isn't but offer no counter argument.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

I'm with Mr S on this; saw the film some time ago and was inspired to try to research whether it was possible that a senior member of Elizabeth's court could have been black. (Ans.....highly unlikely)
    The part that always makes me wonder is the lead in Othello!
    Its the historical inaccuracies which aggravate me rather than the actors.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Or this?

You know full well how 'the usual suspects' would react if a white actor was cast in the role of a black person.
    Because there is a long and ignoble tradition of such casting happening you can’t just wish away. One day it may be acceptable but you cannot ignore the history of the practice. It may not be “fair” to some but the well has been poisoned already.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

My at home test a week or two ago took 48 hours for the result (negative).

48 hours is OK especially if you're at home isolating waiting for the results but 24 is clearly better.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    coach said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

I think a poster that persistently racially stereotypes, might be the one demonstrating naivity.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

We now know that many more people were dying of covid in March than was reported at the time.

I wonder if that information had been available then whether lockdown would have been brought forward a few days.
    Higher deaths in England because of higher deaths amongst BAME ethnic origin?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's pretty impressive.

Do they know how reliable the tests are and does he need to get a second test later ?
    Oh. Not sure. I didn't ask tbh and I don't think they did either but could be wrong. I'll follow up!

Thinking about it, if they are recovered (they are) there is a human disincentive to go back to risk a self-isolation for "no reason". Not saying people will or won't and I have no idea about my cousin but I can see that human nature might rebel against submitting to another test whose only "benefit" (apart from saving lives in the country!) might be to be imprisoned for 14 days.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

Confidence increased with the imposition of the lockdown - the government was taking clear, decisive action to save lives.

Confidence has fallen as the death toll has increased. People can't see the lives that have been saved, and even with an intellectual understanding of the lag in lockdown having an effect on the infection and death rates it feels like it failed when there have been 60,000 excess deaths regardless.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Assuming you are actually arguing in good faith what you've done is the classic stopping at the first why.

So you've gone from "there are lots of black on black stabbings" WHY "because of drugs".

You seem to have stopped there. Yo need to follow up with all the questions that begs.
    I don't NEED to follow up anything, I'm merely stating facts that you, for reasons unknown, dispute.

Its clear to me that you have zero knowledge or experience of what goes on in the under belly of society. Its probably a good thing because its a pretty uncomfortable place.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    Study here finding hearing damage in asymptomatic coronavirus positives -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7151386/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    DougSeal said:

That's refreshingly honest self-analysis, and I know what you mean. Another example which perhaps is more for Americans as Britain is light on religion these days - Jesus was Middle Eastern, but he's not usually portrayed as looking like that, and I suspect that a film about him starring an actor looking like (say) Arafat might be quite controversial.

What helped the residual racist reactions that I sometimes have, like you, was living in Holloway. The ethnic mix there is so jumbled up that you simply give up trying to wotrk out where people's families might have come from, and concentrate on deciding what you make of them as individuals. I think that's much healthier that the enclaves of people from similar backgrounds (including nearly all-white Surrey towns like mine).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:
    There's all sorts of tropes to unpack in that one, not just the blacking up! Mexican cultural appropriation, implied promiscuity of the 'innocent child gypsy girl' 'Maria', ...
    Plus, you had to pay a TV licence to see this "entertainment" - or risk jail.

The past is a good reason not to invent time travel.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Or this?

Because there is a long and ignoble tradition of such casting happening you can’t just wish away. One day it may be acceptable but you cannot ignore the history of the practice. It may not be “fair” to some but the well has been poisoned already.
    So we are all guilty of the sins of the fathers ?

And that's your excuse for racism.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    kinabalu said:

Not quite so asymptomatic after all then.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Bollocks

And yet there is that persistent discrepancy in English data between covid deaths (officially enumerated) and excess deaths for time of year, that is absent in the Scottish data (as I have pointed out several times). It's not as bad as it was, but it is worrying, because something different is being done and we don't know what.
    That's gone now, hasn't it?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending22may2020
    Yes, thank you, that's very helpful. The graph1 in section 3 shows this - also the discrepancy quite well for past periods.

It also shows deaths due to flu/pneumonia - maybe undiagnosed covid before testing availability improved? The magnitude isn't far off the discrepancy.

Travelling Tabby used to have a nice graph of deaths excess vs deaths atrributed to virus for Scotland but hs/he has changed the presentation and it's not there any more.

• Options

Confidence increased with the imposition of the lockdown - the government was taking clear, decisive action to save lives.

Confidence has fallen as the death toll has increased. People can't see the lives that have been saved, and even with an intellectual understanding of the lag in lockdown having an effect on the infection and death rates it feels like it failed when there have been 60,000 excess deaths regardless.
    I think that's absolutely true. We'll go with anything to start with (look at the compliance with the lockdown) because everyone is feeling their way so fine. But now we are at the very beginning of being able to compare ourselves with others and we find that we are not "world beaters" (or rather we are) and so people voice their concerns.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sorry what did you say?

:wink:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

My at home test a week or two ago took 48 hours for the result (negative).

48 hours is OK especially if you're at home isolating waiting for the results but 24 is clearly better.
    Pharmaceutical saying, especially when a patient is angrily demanding their tablets 'now'.
    You can have it quick or you can have it right!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Ridiculous thing to beat yourself up about. If the film aimed for historical accuracy, clearly it missed the mark in several instances. Visually, that one was clearly impossible to ignore. And in its own way it is the 'now' version of white actors in the early 20th century browning up and putting a lot of eyeliner on to play Turks, Arabs, and assorted dusky maidens.

James Bond has been a British English character with a long family history going back to the Normans as far as I recall (family motto) and therefore white. All the actors have played him as such (with greater or lesser success on the accent front ). It is fiction and it is therefore of course fine for him to become a black character, or a woman, but it would be a bigger divergence from the source material than we've yet seen. Personally, I'd prefer us to create new cultural icons who happen to be black.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664
    CD13 said:

Mr 43,

I think my dislike of Boris is pure instinct. They used to say that posh families sent their idiot sons into the Army or the Church. Now I think they send them to be journalists, and Boris is first and foremost a journalist.

Incidentally, why does everyone pander to the journalists at the daily press conference? Saying "That's a great question?" when it's clearly one notch above that of moronic.

Your question presupposes that ministers are operating on a higher intellectual plane than the journalists questioning them.
    I think that supplies your answer.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:

coach said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Our role models are decided by their skin colour?

There's been no Asian James Bond either and yet absent fathers are not really an issue in that community.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

coach said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Social scientists have been studying gang culture for decades, and top of the list of reasons boys join gangs is the lack of positive male role models around them, followed closely by parental indifference to schooling and discipline, a lack of legitimate opportunities within the local economy, and a sense of identity given by gang membership which isn’t available elsewhere.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

James Bond has been a British English character with a long family history going back to the Normans as far as I recall (family motto) and therefore white. All the actors have played him as such (with greater or lesser success on the accent front ). It is fiction and it is therefore of course fine for him to become a black character, or a woman, but it would be a bigger divergence from the source material than we've yet seen. Personally, I'd prefer us to create new cultural icons who happen to be black.
    James Bond has always to a lesser or greater degree been somewhat removed or not paid much attention to, the source material, and the 'original' character.

I see no issue with a black James Bond at all. Just like Doctor Who, it's a character which has changed time and time again, and new things brought to it by each character, so anything new and interesting should be welcomed.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

We are all victims of our childhood. When I was young there was a sitcom called "Love Thy Neighbour" which would probably land the producers in jail these days. The N word was used a plenty. Racist expressions were common and used as everyday expressions. I grew up with that - it was normal.

Fast forward some years later to when life has shown just how wrong and abhorrent those things were and they still haunt me. I made sure my own children were not subjected to those "aphorisms".
  • Options
    coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

I don't NEED to follow up anything, I'm merely stating facts that you, for reasons unknown, dispute.

Its clear to me that you have zero knowledge or experience of what goes on in the under belly of society. Its probably a good thing because its a pretty uncomfortable place.

What have I disputed?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,328

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

Higher deaths in England because of higher deaths amongst BAME ethnic origin?
    It would be interesting to know how London compares to the rest of the country and is BME a big contributing factor
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Ridiculous thing to beat yourself up about. If the film aimed for historical accuracy, clearly it missed the mark in several instances. Visually, that one was clearly impossible to ignore. And in its own way it is the 'now' version of white actors in the early 20th century browning up and putting a lot of eyeliner on to play Turks, Arabs, and assorted dusky maidens.

Sorry but I find that insulting, going out of our way to create cultural icons.

Idris Elba, countless black people in sport and music didn't need creating, they're just bloody good at what they do.

Some people's obsession with colour is ridiculous
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

The thing that I notice is when they put actors from a different racial background in a role and then try and have everyone *in the story* not react.

For example - the film Unforgiven. A black man in the 1870s in the US working as a bounty hunter, killing white men. And not a single racial slur was uttered....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep and one data point amongst thousands so who knows. But they are the only person I know who has gone to have a test.
    It appears that were are coming to a point where we have sufficient testing capacity - better late than never. The good news is that it ought only to improve from now on.

What doesn't seem yet to be happening is the data handling required for an effective track and trace program. There were numerous people involved at both operational and management level interviewed on the radio this morning who all expressed variants of the sentiment that the program is definitely up, but equally certainly not yet running.

It will happen in due course, but too slowly. Because of this, lockdown has been relaxed too early (or rather we were way too slow in getting track and trace started for the anticipated ending of lockdown).
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Or this?

So we are all guilty of the sins of the fathers ?

And that's your excuse for racism.
    Don’t be ridiculous. These practices are not “the sins of the fathers” - they are still going on. For example, casting Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh play characters in Annihilation who, in the novel, are, respectively, of Asian and Native American decent. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Khan in the Star Trek reboot.

For another thing there are infinitely more “white” parts in the Western Theatrical canon. Casting a white actor to play the part of a person of colour in those circumstances would have to be a calculated decision given the paucity of roles out there.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

What have I disputed?
    Alistair, we're wasting each other's time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Social scientists have been studying gang culture for decades, and top of the list of reasons boys join gangs is the lack of positive male role models around them, followed closely by parental indifference to schooling and discipline, a lack of legitimate opportunities within the local economy, and a sense of identity given by gang membership which isn’t available elsewhere.
    There are some great books about the riots in the UK. I remember discussing them on here when they happened.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Riots-Investigating-Englands-disorder-ebook/dp/B006LLOCII

https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Riots-2011-Summer-Discontent/dp/1904380883

https://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Riots-2011-Robert-Trabandt/dp/3656341443

Tl/dr? They weren't just a bunch of thugs looting and stealing. And yes there was some systematic racism in there. Lots of it. If not institutionally, then many individual instances which contributed to it being as good as institutionally. Perhaps it was institutionally.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

That's refreshingly honest self-analysis, and I know what you mean. Another example which perhaps is more for Americans as Britain is light on religion these days - Jesus was Middle Eastern, but he's not usually portrayed as looking like that, and I suspect that a film about him starring an actor looking like (say) Arafat might be quite controversial.

What helped the residual racist reactions that I sometimes have, like you, was living in Holloway. The ethnic mix there is so jumbled up that you simply give up trying to wotrk out where people's families might have come from, and concentrate on deciding what you make of them as individuals. I think that's much healthier that the enclaves of people from similar backgrounds (including nearly all-white Surrey towns like mine).
    I lived in Holloway too. Well, technically Upper Holloway, next to the eponymous station, Archway these days really
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Exactly right. Significant hearing loss is a pretty bad symptom.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

We are all victims of our childhood. When I was young there was a sitcom called "Love Thy Neighbour" which would probably land the producers in jail these days. The N word was used a plenty. Racist expressions were common and used as everyday expressions. I grew up with that - it was normal.

Fast forward some years later to when life has shown just how wrong and abhorrent those things were and they still haunt me. I made sure my own children were not subjected to those "aphorisms".
    The last few days has seen comedian and actor Jimmy Fallon apologise for wearing blackface during a sketch on Saturday Night Live - from the year 2000.

We forget how recently such attitudes have actually changed, that only 20 years ago it was okay to be blacked up on a very mainstream entertainment show.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

As explanation or mitigation for the PM?
  • Options

I think confidence has fallen because it's become clear that the government has been very slow all along in doing the right things.
    Its organisational competence is very poor.

And last week it completely destroyed its communications strategy.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr 43,

The questions are mostly OK. The problem is in the answers. If a journalist asks, for example, when will Covid 19 measures be over? First that's a question that many people are asking. If uncertainty prevents a definitive answer, then explain the uncertainty, what factors are feeding into the uncertainty and describe some scenarios that could play out. That gives people an understanding of what the issues are and how they might eventually be resolved.It relies on dealing with people intelligently, honestly and with empathy. Something that Nicola Sturgeon is vastly better at than anyone in the UK government.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but these things matter when identity politics are being discussed. The literary James Bond's parents were Scottish and Swiss.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Exactly right. Significant hearing loss is a pretty bad symptom.
    That graph was pretty devastating - very clear high frequency loss.

Plus no discussion one way or another of the onset of tinnitus, or of balance organ damage (like Meniere's), that I could see, either. Those would be real worries.
  • Options
    coach said:

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry but I find that insulting, going out of our way to create cultural icons.

Idris Elba, countless black people in sport and music didn't need creating, they're just bloody good at what they do.

Some people's obsession with colour is ridiculous
    I should clarify, I mean create cultural icons in film - fiction. Idris Elba does not need creating, but a superspy (or similar) character to appear in a series of films who is played by Idris Elba, perhaps succeeded in time by another black actor because being black is integral to the character, would do.
  • Options

James Bond has been a British English character with a long family history going back to the Normans as far as I recall ...

A point of order Mr Speaker - James Bond is Scottish.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Given how chaotic the government’s response to Covid-19 has been, these are stunningly good ratings. Any creature with the sentience of a pigeon should be able to see that they’ve been a shambolic joke. So their ability to retain support in the face of all available evidence should be viewed positively by them.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but these things matter when identity politics are being discussed. The literary James Bond's parents were Scottish and Swiss.
    Although Fleming retconned his ancestry in the books after Sean Connery was cast in the movies.
  • Options

James Bond has been a British English character with a long family history going back to the Normans as far as I recall ...

Grew up in Kent though.
  • Options

Yeah well the Marquess of Bute is Scottish. Would nevertheless be out of place in the Gorbals.

:smile:
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:

Grew up in Kent though.
    Schooled at Eton, like Boris.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    coach said:

I just don't understand your angle in this. Pointing out there is a lot of black on black violence over the drug trade doesn't make Systemic Racsim not exist nor does it disprove that Systemic Racsim involved as one of the main root cause of black youths getting involved in the drug trade leading to lots of black on black violence over the drug trade.

Maybe I'm dense and have missed your brilliant take down of the concept of Systemic Racism but saying black on black gang violence over the drug trade exists isn't it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

As explanation or mitigation for the PM?
    I wonder if he is frightened of being seen wearing a hearing aid, even the little ones behind the ear?

IIRC there was a Labour MP or government minister who would not accept face veils on constituents who came to consult him, something of the sort. I'm not 100% sure of the details or who he was, so I won't name him. But I got the strong suspicion he was becoming increasingly deaf and was actually supplementing his hearing with lipreading more than he would admit either to himself or others.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,030

And has been played by some English actors.

I watched one of the Brosnan movies the other day. The most interesting thing about it for me was the supporting cast.

Gerard Butler is in it.

And for fans of W1A, not only is Ian Fletcher in it, but so is Simon Harwood
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

James Bond has always to a lesser or greater degree been somewhat removed or not paid much attention to, the source material, and the 'original' character.

I see no issue with a black James Bond at all. Just like Doctor Who, it's a character which has changed time and time again, and new things brought to it by each character, so anything new and interesting should be welcomed.
    That's a good view to have, I'm just saying it would be a significant divergence, and therefore change the character, and resistance to it should not be classed as racist bigotry - it could just be not wanting a favourite character to change significantly.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

kjh said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

What are you even arguing then?

I'm saying it is systemic racism is involved. You are saying it isn't but offer no counter argument.
    I'm going to have one more go coach without using the words systemic or genetic.

Coach do you think that a disproportionate number of black people are involved in drug dealing and gangs because:

a) it is inherent in being black

or

b) because of the environment in which they were brought up in and live?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Given how chaotic the government’s response to Covid-19 has been, these are stunningly good ratings. Any creature with the sentience of a pigeon should be able to see that they’ve been a shambolic joke. So their ability to retain support in the face of all available evidence should be viewed positively by them.

Maybe Boris Derangement Syndrome is a thing after all. Who in their right mind would lend their support to this government, beyond the fact they are the only one we have got - and we need them to do stuff?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

It’s a fictional character. Going back to my original point, we can suspend disbelief about the accent of an actual historical figure, but we can’t suspend disbelief about an outlandish, almost cartoon like, fictional character’s ancestry?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

coach said:

eek said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

That's a good view to have, I'm just saying it would be a significant divergence, and therefore change the character, and resistance to it should not be classed as racist bigotry - it could just be not wanting a favourite character to change significantly.
    It might - but what's of far more significance is whether it's intelligently done and entertaining.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:

Probably the same as if a man played Miss/Mr Marple.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    This is excellent (from the Crick Institute & the Ralser Lab).

Ultra-high-throughput clinical proteomics reveals classifiers of COVID-19 infection
    https://www.cell.com/cell-systems/fulltext/S2405-4712(20)30197-6
    The COVID-19 pandemic is an unprecedented global challenge and point-of-care diagnostic classifiers are urgently required. Here, we present a platform for ultra-high throughput serum and plasma proteomics that builds on ISO13485 standardisation and high-flow liquid chromatography to facilitate implementation in clinical laboratories. Our low-cost workflow quantifies 180 proteomes per day per mass spectrometer, enables high precision quantification, and reduces batch effects for large-scale and longitudinal studies. We use our platform on samples collected from a cohort of early hospitalized cases of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic and identify 27 potential biomarkers that are differentially expressed depending on the WHO severity grade of COVID-19. They include complement factors, the coagulation system, inflammation modulators, and pro-inflammatory upstream and downstream of interleukin 6. All protocols and software for implementing our approach are freely available. In total, our platform supports the development of routine proteomic assays to aid clinical decision making and generate hypotheses about potential COVID-19 therapeutic targets.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

I just don't understand your angle in this. Pointing out there is a lot of black on black violence over the drug trade doesn't make Systemic Racsim not exist nor does it disprove that Systemic Racsim involved as one of the main root cause of black youths getting involved in the drug trade leading to lots of black on black violence over the drug trade.

Maybe I'm dense and have missed your brilliant take down of the concept of Systemic Racism but saying black on black gang violence over the drug trade exists isn't it.
    I've no idea what you're trying to prove here, I've no idea what you mean by Systemic Racism and you refuse to say who "we" are.

Have a good day
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,030
    Fishing said:

You don't see Dame Edna Everage in the role?
  • Options
    My main problem with Systemic as a word is I keep writing Systematic.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,328
    Nigelb said:

I think confidence has fallen because it's become clear that the government has been very slow all along in doing the right things.
    Its organisational competence is very poor.

And last week it completely destroyed its communications strategy.
    I think that is very fair

However, and this may not be popular but questions need to be asked about PHE and their devolved colleagues as to just how competent they are in a pandemic including logistic support issues and how slow as an organisation they are when the need is to adapt and innovate

I do not excuse Boris who lost it over Cummings, but going forward pandemic procedures have to involve a more nimble NHS than today, and must be able to bring in the private sector to fill in the holes
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Sandpit said:

Second, like Starmer at PMQs.

That must be why Starmer is so far ahead on the favourability ratings then.

The more people see of your guy the more they realise there's not much there and he's not up to the job..
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Scott_xP said:

Fishing said:

You don't see Dame Edna Everage in the role?
    No it's pretty clear Miss Marple wasn't Australian.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Carnyx said:

Jackson Carlaw, Leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party. twisting the knife into BoZo’s belly just now on BBC Radio Scotland. He says, repeatedly, that he is “not wholly convinced” by Dominic Cummings’ explanation for his actions.

Classic code for “the man’s a liar”.

Astonishingly, Carlaw has not spoken to his boss BoZo in months. They have only exchanged two text messages since The Clown was released from hospital.

Carlaw sounds like a drowning man, unable to affect either his opponents nor his (supposed) allies.

The Milton Keynes appointee is a real kick in the groin.

MK? *googles for land of concrete coos* Ah - now I see. Blood is sure thicker than residence when it comes to Tories. But what a dunt in the baws to the actual Scottish Tories. Remiunds me of the day when the Scottish Office was run by a MP from Weston-Super-Mare IIRC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-52880226
    I will defer to our actual Scottish posters on this (and we can always rely on Malc for a fair and balanced appraisal of the situation), but right now it looks to me as if the Conservatives are going to get absolutely, utterly, walloped in the Holyrood elections next year. As in a panda-level event.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

The last few days has seen comedian and actor Jimmy Fallon apologise for wearing blackface during a sketch on Saturday Night Live - from the year 2000.

We forget how recently such attitudes have actually changed, that only 20 years ago it was okay to be blacked up on a very mainstream entertainment show.
    Wow! Another memory surfaces - "The Black and White Minstrel Show". I hated that show, even away back then. I never liked Al Jolson either
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

I think the issue causing the problems in this discussion is effect layering.

This is the phenomenon where you have an issue, which is due to other issues, which are...

i.e.

- Knife crime is a leading cause of death among young black men.
    - The immediate effect causing this is participation in gang culture.
    - The participation in gang culture is due to poor take up in non-gang culture.
    - The poor take up in non-gang culture is due to poor educational result, poor job opportunities, poor perception of same.
    - etc

The question is how high up the tree of causation do you have to go to reach a level where a changes can have an effect.
This discussion has been closed.