Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer tells Boris to “get a grip” as they prepare for the fi

Comments

• Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,547
    A family member’s been to York Hospital today for a minor procedure. They were told that the number of Covid patients in there had gone down to 10 at one point, it’s now back up to 67.

Can’t vouch for accuracy just thought I’d mention it to you lot.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,620
    kle4 said:

'I didn't need those incontinence pants, I was just inspecting them.'

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1268178508255297538?s=20

He has to know no one would believe he coincidentally decided to inspect it at that time, he just gets pleasure from bullshitting. It has always worked for him up to now.
    Has he ever been spotted in Barnard Castle?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    I think this is a very good lecture from Whitty explaining why certain changes have been allowed.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,484
    Scott_xP said:
    This is unacceptable and needs condemning across the political spectrum
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Dreadful performance by Johnson

With respect you know that is nonsense

I have been a strong critic of Boris recently but when he puts in a good performance I will say so

Indeed you need to see the number of my posts that have praised Starmer recently
    Starmer got Johnson to concede that shielded MPs will get a proxy vote (not just pairing) in contradiction to Rees-Mogg line yesterday. That was a win for Starmer.

Overall I thought it was a bit uninspiring on both sides. I'd expected a better quality joust. There is no doubt that Starmer looks more prime ministerial than Johnson!
    He may but if it comes over to the public he is playing politics with this pandemic he will not win over converts

Also I do not expect him to be against Boris in 2024
    I agree on your last point.

Johnson is not well and he's not enjoying this one little bit. Everywhere he looks is a problem - Covid, Brexit, Trump. He can't be cheerful and positive which is his default position. And he has a young baby at home. I have money on him retiring later this year. Followed by Gove or Hunt.
    For the first time I'm really beginning to think he won't make 2024.

There's another thing. His popularity is plummeting: Reuters polling said that in fifty years they had never seen such a sudden and dramatic fall in approval ratings (sorry bluestblue). Whereas Cummings couldn't care, Johnson really, really cares about whether he is liked. It's one of the reasons he can't stand scrutiny. The other being that lying courses through his veins and he hates being exposed.

Johnson will hate it that the scales are tumbling from people's eyes. Without this virus he would have been hoping to carry on with his bumbling obfuscation blather and blah-blah. Now he's in the spotlight, although he is trying his best to step away from tripping the light fantastic.

The man's been laid bare: like a jhator carcass on which the vultures are settling to feast.
    The Conservatives are still leading Mr. Boring's party very comfortably, they have a virtually unassailable position in Parliament, and Boris has every chance of being Prime Minister for a decade if he runs another good campaign next time.

Sorry, Mysticrose - not everyone turns tail and runs at the slightest whiff of grapeshot.
    He’s struggling so badly after just months that it is almost impossible to see him lasting out ten years.
    Mr Blue's religious fervour for a man that is demonstrating himself to have (as I have always believed) zero qualities for the job is quite quaint to behold. I think even HYUFD is having doubts about Johnson. I will be surprised to see him have the energy for 10 months, let alone 10 years. He also has the perfect excuse to step down from a job that even he now knows he clearly isn't up to
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,963
    MikeL said:

I think this is a very good lecture from Whitty explaining why certain changes have been allowed.

He is pretty good. Exceptional in comparison with our politicians across all the parties.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/skymarkwhite/status/1268217398861193223

Social distancing is so last month...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,058

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Liam Fox can be surprisingly sensible sometimes:

I’m afraid I simply cannot get my head around the public health mental gymnastics of this policy [Priti Patel's announcement on the quarantine scheme].

If such a barrier was required, why was it not introduced earlier in the outbreak?

And if it is a contingency measure against a second wave, why apply it to countries with a lower infection rate than we already have?

Surely the answer lies in the government’s test-and-trace system, rather than unnecessary economic isolation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/jun/03/uk-coronavirus-live-keir-starmer-boris-johnson-lockdown-easing-pmqs-covid-19-latest-updates-news

The Gammons are also unhappy

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1268186705846325249
    Oh dear Scott must be livid about Hong Kong citizens over here. Only white faced European immigration pleases him.

It's a fair question to ask about infastructure but let's be honest the number will end up being in the hundreds of thousands worst case scenario rather than 3 million.
    More than one progressive acquaintance has latched onto this as racist. Yes, it is racist to give UK residency to HK citizens. Why you ask?

- "The Tories are trying to import voters, not proper immigrants*"
    - "The Tories are trying to suppress real immigration"
    - "The Tories are trying to suppress immigration of Muslims"

*On questioning, this is apparently a NoTrueScotsman* issue - an immigrant who votes Tory isn't really an immigrant.
    I think it took several decades for the Ugandan Asian immigrants rightly let in in the early Seventies to vote Conservative in significant numbers.

It may well be the same from Hong Kong. Not all passport holders will be entrepeneurs. Many will be elderly and unskilled.

In practice, I think few will come.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,553

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Blimey Boris is struggling lung-wise!

There seems clear evidence his breathing capacity has been effected
    Spotted this at PMQs today.
    Or possibly when he is under pressure he breaths like other obese people do.
    He seems to have lost weight but weight is a factor in lung capacity
    He has a lot to lose -not criticising him for it btw, I know how hard it is, but he was 17 stone apparently, which is seriously obese for a man that is only 5'9''
    17 Stone? Surely not. If he is no wonder he is breathless!

I am a similar height and age to Johnson, a little ahead of him in years, but not too far. Weighing in at around 5 stones less than Johnson, my Doctor reckoned I was still a stone/stone and a half over weight. He maintained at 12/12.5 stones I was verging on the obese.

Obese? At 5 stones lighter than Boris, pour me a pint and pass me a pie!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,978
    Foxy said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Liam Fox can be surprisingly sensible sometimes:

I’m afraid I simply cannot get my head around the public health mental gymnastics of this policy [Priti Patel's announcement on the quarantine scheme].

If such a barrier was required, why was it not introduced earlier in the outbreak?

And if it is a contingency measure against a second wave, why apply it to countries with a lower infection rate than we already have?

Surely the answer lies in the government’s test-and-trace system, rather than unnecessary economic isolation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/jun/03/uk-coronavirus-live-keir-starmer-boris-johnson-lockdown-easing-pmqs-covid-19-latest-updates-news

The Gammons are also unhappy

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1268186705846325249
    Oh dear Scott must be livid about Hong Kong citizens over here. Only white faced European immigration pleases him.

It's a fair question to ask about infastructure but let's be honest the number will end up being in the hundreds of thousands worst case scenario rather than 3 million.
    More than one progressive acquaintance has latched onto this as racist. Yes, it is racist to give UK residency to HK citizens. Why you ask?

- "The Tories are trying to import voters, not proper immigrants*"
    - "The Tories are trying to suppress real immigration"
    - "The Tories are trying to suppress immigration of Muslims"

*On questioning, this is apparently a NoTrueScotsman* issue - an immigrant who votes Tory isn't really an immigrant.
    I think it took several decades for the Ugandan Asian immigrants rightly let in in the early Seventies to vote Conservative in significant numbers.

It may well be the same from Hong Kong. Not all passport holders will be entrepeneurs. Many will be elderly and unskilled.

In practice, I think few will come.
    Quite - I just found the complex stumbling over the issue from the progressive types funny. They were having a hard time to say what they wanted to say - wrong kind of immigrants....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So we are petrified that returning Brits might import into the country something they are statistically much more likely to have exported on their departure?
  • Options
    eadric said:
    This has the potential to be far worse than Cheltenham and to make matters worse most are BME
  • Options

You are right, it has, except now it is why did Bozo keep him? It is because he is crap. Keep up please! You have got to stop apologising for him Big G, you know he is hopeless too!
    My comments on Boris are fair and critical but I take no instructions from anyone to 'keep up please'
    It wasn't an instruction, old bean, it was an encouragement ! And I will continue to offer it to anyone who needs to, because anyone who still things Boris Johnson is a good PM, and thinks that anyone has forgotten the Cummy story is clearly lagging behind a bit, so come on...keep up!
  • Options
    We really need the great british summer wash out for a few weeks.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Whitty saves the day!

Alert level and 5 tests are separate matters!

Can meet tests and thus ease restrictions even if Alert level remains the same.

Bingo!

By adjusting the terms of reference to suit one's agenda, meeting all the tests is a piece of cake.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Who is next? Jimmy Carter at 7pm and the ghost of Nixon at 10pm?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,227
    Starmer needs to make a statement. He's stirring up the mob and it's his duty to put a stop to this nonsense.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

He has a lot to lose -not criticising him for it btw, I know how hard it is, but he was 17 stone apparently, which is seriously obese for a man that is only 5'9''

I am a similar height and age to Johnson, a little ahead of him in years, but not too far. Weighing in at around 5 stones less than Johnson, my Doctor reckoned I was still a stone/stone and a half over weight. He maintained at 12/12.5 stones I was verging on the obese.

Many doctors religiously, and idiotically, follow the BMI to determine obesity. When I was with UNSCOM, some fool UN doctor told me during my clearance to travel medical that I was obese - as were all the special ops guys who were going into Iraq on inspections. At the time, my body fat (I knew, because I worked cardio a lot at the time) was less than 12%.

BMI fails to correct for musculature (and also for height, but that is not an issue with Johnson). It is a useful first cut tool, but needs to be interpreted in context.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Should there be questions about Huawei etc in the coronavirus briefing? It is free publicity for the govt without any opportunity for the opposition get any equivalent time, and zero to do with coronavirus.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

That is what I read in an online article form the Daily Mail, so it could be rubbish, but as it generally supports Johnson I thought it unlikely to be too far off the mark. I suspect he has his suits and shirts made for him
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Starmer needs to make a statement. He's stirring up the mob and it's his duty to put a stop to this nonsense.

This is just unacceptable on so many levels
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,817

We really need the great british summer wash out for a few weeks.

Except, as Bozo rightfully warned, all the people meeting in gardens will be tempted to nip indoors when it starts raining.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,420

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

U r about the same kind of stamp as me, Pete, and believe it or not we are both technically obese - only by about a stone or so though.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,355

A family member’s been to York Hospital today for a minor procedure. They were told that the number of Covid patients in there had gone down to 10 at one point, it’s now back up to 67.

I doubt that very much

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18493418.no-new-coronavirus-related-deaths-york-trust-third-day-running/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    Willy Brandt knelt in Warsaw:

"Unter der Last der jüngsten Geschichte tat ich, was Menschen tun, wenn die Worte versagen. So gedachte ich Millionen Ermordeter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kniefall_von_Warschau
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,539

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

That is what I read in an online article form the Daily Mail, so it could be rubbish, but as it generally supports Johnson I thought it unlikely to be too far off the mark. I suspect he has his suits and shirts made for him
    It's not all fat, though, is what I've heard. There's plenty of muscle there.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Scott_xP said:
    So what are they going to do about it?

One thing that would help me is a bigger post-graduate loan. £10,000 is not enough when my course alone costs £12,000.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

U r about the same kind of stamp as me, Pete, and believe it or not we are both technically obese - only by about a stone or so though.
    Eh? 5'9 you have to be over 14 stones to be obese.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,804
    If you bank with HSBC or First Direct I urge you to move elsewhere.

Hit them where it hurts.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1268221591189630979
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    Scott_xP said:
    They are all political decisions, aren't they? The scientists shouldn't be making decisions.
  • Options

MikeL said:

He is pretty good. Exceptional in comparison with our politicians across all the parties.
    Yes, but Mr Johnson will make him the fall guy. I noted that the non-entity health minister this morning saying that the reason not to have quarantine before was on the advice of the CMO. Ministers no longer take decisions it seems, well blame anyway.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,262
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:
    This sort of thing always does an excellent job of losing support for whatever cause it is they're trying to raise awareness of.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Exceptional in comparison with our politicians across all the parties.
    But is he really any good?
  • Options

Hit them where it hurts.

very poor
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

The biggest single thing that the US could do to improve the behaviour of their police forces is to allow police departments and municipalities to be sued.

Imagine if a pharmaceutical company sold a drug that they knew caused - say - birth defects. But imagine that people affected couldn't sue the pharmaceutical company, only the researchers. The pharma company would have no interest in weeding out drugs that could kill people because, hey, if that happened they didn't get sued, some scientist (with no money) would.

That is the situation in the US.

Thanks to Monell vs New York (https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/436/658/) municipal employers can not be held responsible for the actions of their employees.

This is utter madness.

If having a racist or brutal cop cost a police department money (lots, thereof), then they would have an economic interest in weeding out bad apples. Instead, if someone behaves poorly, well it looks bad... but there are no actual financial consequences.

Congress needs to change the law. Police departments need to be on the hook for their employees, or they will never be incentivized to change their behaviour.

The costs would just get passed on to the taxpayer.

I would rather see police officers made criminally liable for failure to prevent crimes committed by their colleagues.
    Of course they get passed on to the tax payer. But suddenly elected politicians, who are responsible for budgets, have a financial incentive to prevent a chunk of their precious tax revenues flowing back out the door.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,817
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

So that's why he has to get his trousers specially made...
  • Options

MikeL said:

Yes, but Mr Johnson will make him the fall guy. I noted that the non-entity health minister this morning saying that the reason not to have quarantine before was on the advice of the CMO. Ministers no longer take decisions it seems, well blame anyway.
    Ministers deferring to scientists at the start of the pandemic was entirely correct and welcome. I am no fan of the shambolic govt but they get credit from me for that.
  • Options
    Actually this is a very good and mature press conference
  • Options
    I am confused, the media were very angry there was not quarantine, now they are very angry there is one...its like they have their holidays booked and worried won't be able to go if they have to isolate for 14 days when they come back.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    They are all political decisions, aren't they? The scientists shouldn't be making decisions.
    They give scientific advice, they dont make decisions. In a health emergency politicians need to be pretty confident about a call against their advice though. Ultimate responsibility is with the politicians.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    They give scientific advice, they dont make decisions. In a health emergency politicians need to be pretty confident about a call against their advice though. Ultimate responsibility is with the politicians.
    Your doctor gives you advice. Not orders. What do you do?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    Boris seems more pro-lockdown when he's around the scientists and less so at other times.
  • Options
    eadric said:
    Might be a good idea to head off to Penarth
  • Options

I am confused, the media were very angry there was not quarantine, now they are very angry there is one...its like they have their holidays booked and worried won't be able to go if they have to isolate for 14 days when they come back.

I think it is fair to think it is pretty dumb to have not had quarantine before, when the likelihood of people bringing in the virus was high and our R-rate was still high, and only now bringing it in. The irony is, which country is going to want to have an "air bridge" with the UK when it has one of the most out of control epidemics in the world? Spain certainly isn't!
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Not sure on the relevance but happy to play along.

If Im in emergency critical care I will follow whatever they say
    If its serious but not critical - I would need very good reason not to do as they say
    If its not a serious situation - I will bear their advice in mind, research it a bit online and decide how the advice fits in with the rest of my life

Politicians acting similarly to those principles seems fine.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,262

Still around 8K cases a day. Disappointing.

R not coming down fast, says Vallance.

Yet a large number of districts have no cases at all.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,669
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    Might be a good idea to head off to Penarth
    What time does Jezza address the crowd?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Scott_xP said:
    Politicians try to deflect any question of there being judgement calls by referencing the science - criticised

Politicians making judgement calls - criticised.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,669

Do keep up! :smiley:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Boris seems more pro-lockdown when he's around the scientists and less so at other times.

The classic vacillation of the easily led, as opposed to those that lead; a strong desire to be liked by those around him. Have I mentioned before that Boris Johnson has no leadership skills?
  • Options
    I'm probably unkind as this country does have issues which need dealing with which may provoke protest, but whenever protests and near riots emerge in the UK after provoking incidents in the USA it just feels very 'follow internet trends' as these things go.
  • Options
    Barry Gardiner reminding people why they voted Tory at the last election today.
  • Options

Hit them where it hurts.

They wouldn't even notice. Corporations who piss off Beijing, even unintentionally, seem to learn their lesson pretty quickly.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    The crowd clearly being electrified by Barry's return. The Today show have missed him mind - he's the one source of dope before 8am.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,708
    isam said:

isam said:

Haven't read the thread, so apologies if others have made the point already, but this madness of huge crowds over Hyde Park, if nothing else, will act as a guide to whether lockdown is necessary anymore.

We have been watching Michael Portillo's Empire programme this afternoon, the episode about South Africa, and looked at twitter afterwards in complete amazement at the scenes. I said to my missus "I bet some ***t tries to blame Dominic Cummings for this". Have they?

I'm hopeful that activity outside has a very low chance of spread, but the crowds and the chanting will be a strict test of that.

It doesn't say much about the risk of spread indoors, though.
    There will be some Olympic level contortions from those who have been saying those breaking lockdown are endangering other peoples lives
    My point is that not all breaches of lockdown are equal.

Using the lack of harm from some to justify tearing down the other would be foolhardy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

And of course muscle is heavier than fat.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Not sure on the relevance but happy to play along.

If Im in emergency critical care I will follow whatever they say
    If its serious but not critical - I would need very good reason not to do as they say
    If its not a serious situation - I will bear their advice in mind, research it a bit online and decide how the advice fits in with the rest of my life

Politicians acting similarly to those principles seems fine.
    NOTB, I agree with you. Emergency medicine, doctor is pretty much fully in charge. Serious slower moving medical condition, I'll listen, research, ask questions, research some more, ask more questions and after several iterations, make my decision. Non-critical health issues - I'll decide where it fits in with my lifestyle.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,182

Given that, according to David Paton, there have been very few new infections in much of North Yorkshire in the last week that sounds unlikely.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    My take.
    Most significant thing today. Johnson promised to be interventionist and guaranteed an apprenticeship for all young people.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

That sounds a lot on the high side. I suspect frame and build come into it.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

Vallance confirming Sage advice is for the 14 day quarantine

... for those countries with higher rates of infection. I assume your misrepresentation isn’t wilful but one of genuine misunderstanding of what was said.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

The biggest single thing that the US could do to improve the behaviour of their police forces is to allow police departments and municipalities to be sued.

Imagine if a pharmaceutical company sold a drug that they knew caused - say - birth defects. But imagine that people affected couldn't sue the pharmaceutical company, only the researchers. The pharma company would have no interest in weeding out drugs that could kill people because, hey, if that happened they didn't get sued, some scientist (with no money) would.

That is the situation in the US.

Thanks to Monell vs New York (https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/436/658/) municipal employers can not be held responsible for the actions of their employees.

This is utter madness.

If having a racist or brutal cop cost a police department money (lots, thereof), then they would have an economic interest in weeding out bad apples. Instead, if someone behaves poorly, well it looks bad... but there are no actual financial consequences.

Congress needs to change the law. Police departments need to be on the hook for their employees, or they will never be incentivized to change their behaviour.

The costs would just get passed on to the taxpayer.

I would rather see police officers made criminally liable for failure to prevent crimes committed by their colleagues.
    Useless. The system is so corrupt that they're undercharged and often are found innocent
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/
  • Options

It would be possible to be angry at not implementing one earlier, and being angry at one now if, they believe, it will do no good now.

It's quite possible it is merely being unreasonable, but I can see a path to reasonableness.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,566
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:
    In the first clip, anyway, the people filming them seem to outnumber the demonstrators.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Australian journalists haven't had much luck. One assaulted by the police in the USA, another assaulted by an islamist nutjob here.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Still around 8K cases a day. Disappointing.

R not coming down fast, says Vallance.

Yet a large number of districts have no cases at all.
    Indeed.

And R doesn't need to come down either fast or slow as long as it is below 1.

And didn't Vallance say that new infections 'could' be 'up to' 8,000 per day not that there were 8,000 per day ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Simply amazing that he should advertise his stupidity. If you are going to join a noisy crowd singing and shouting now, you might as well not have bothered socially distancing at all in the last 12 weeks or so
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

My take.
    Most significant thing today. Johnson promised to be interventionist and guaranteed an apprenticeship for all young people.

Bolimey, he really does need a lot of help in No.10 if everyone will be apprenticing there.

Do some work yourself, lazy Boris.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,566
    kle4 said:

I'm probably unkind as this country does have issues which need dealing with which may provoke protest, but whenever protests and near riots emerge in the UK after provoking incidents in the USA it just feels very 'follow internet trends' as these things go.

Especially when they ignore much more serious police brutality in dozens of other countries around the world.

All these demonstrations say very little about social conditions in America, much more about the power of the American media.

Also about how people don't have enough to do and are bored after weeks of lockdown.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

I feel I should be under 11 stone. In my twenties when I ran, worked out but drank like a fish I would have struggled to make ten and a half stone.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

And didn't Vallance say that new infections 'could' be 'up to' 8,000 per day not that there were 8,000 per day ?

Guessing we'll find it's dropped a lot when the weekly ONS antibody survey comes out (tomorrow iirc).

• Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Simply amazing that he should advertise his stupidity. If you are going to join part of a noisy crowd singing and shouting now, you might as well not have bothered socially distancing at all in the last 12 weeks or so
    Id assumed it was a troll account.

Its not as bad as you say though as cases are 90% down on the peak.

So if being in a crowd is 10x riskier than being in a supermarket for example, then being in that crowd today is probably similar risk to being in a supermarket at the peak.
  • Options
    Dido Harding waving the 'White Flag' at Jeremy Hunt. Useless!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    eadric said:
    To be fair most are wearing masks in the second video
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Simply amazing that he should advertise his stupidity. If you are going to join part of a noisy crowd singing and shouting now, you might as well not have bothered socially distancing at all in the last 12 weeks or so

So if being in a crowd is 10x riskier than being in a supermarket for example, then being in that crowd today is probably similar risk to being in a supermarket at the peak.
    Oh if it is a troll account then it's me who is advertising my stupidity!

I reckon being in a crowd like that today is way more than 10 times riskier than a supermarket at the peak though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    WTF? These arent loans! Businesses would not have taken them if they had to repay them!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:
    Australian journalists haven't had much luck. One assaulted by the police in the USA, another assaulted by an islamist nutjob here.
    He was actually demanding the re-opening of Alan's Snackbar.

The world beating purveyor of bacon butties in Glasgow closed a few years ago, causing an epidemic of violent protest around the world.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh if it is a troll account then it's me who is advertising my stupidity!

I reckon being in a crowd like that today is way more than 10 times riskier than a supermarket at the peak though.
    I dont think its a troll account now, it was just my initial reaction as such a strange thing to post.

And my amateur maths is not saying its 10x more likely to be in a crowd today than at the peak, its saying its the same risk given:

if 10x crowd vs supermarket in the same conditions
    90% drop in infections in the population

As outdoors is far safer than indoors, and unlike supermarkets there is no touching shared surfaces or aircon Id be surprised if Im miles out in the direction you suggest.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    rcs1000 said:

Question.

Does shielding someone from the legal consequences of their actions make them:

(a) perform better
    (b) perform worse

Answers on a postcard please.

Or:
    Does shielding someone from the threat of being sued by someone they get on the wrong side of make them:

(a) do their job properly
    (b) do it defensively

I’m a teacher, and over the twenty odd years I have been teaching I have had to take more and more account of safeguarding. Much of this is good practice and obviously for the benefit of my pupils, but a large proportion is to protect myself from malicious accusations.

I can understand your point of view here; in fact I think you are probably right. But I can also see legitimate reasons for things being as they are.

That being said, defending American police would be much easier if there were not so many trigger-happy racists in uniform.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I cannot abide Joe Kennedy, but I cannot fault that list
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,722
    dixiedean said:

My take.

His guarantee is not worth the paper it is written in, But it makes a nice soundbite. What a waste of space the man is!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So the alert level is entirely pointless. Good to have that confirmed.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

rcs1000 said:

Question.

Does shielding someone from the legal consequences of their actions make them:

(a) perform better
    (b) perform worse

Answers on a postcard please.

Or:
    Does shielding someone from the threat of being sued by someone they get on the wrong side of make them:

(a) do their job properly
    (b) do it defensively

I’m a teacher, and over the twenty odd years I have been teaching I have had to take more and more account of safeguarding. Much of this is good practice and obviously for the benefit of my pupils, but a large proportion is to protect myself from malicious accusations.

I can understand your point of view here; in fact I think you are probably right. But I can also see legitimate reasons for things being as they are.

That being said, defending American police would be much easier if there were not so many trigger-happy racists in uniform.
    If all teachers were genius-philosopher-saints, then no regulation would be required.

Sadly, there is a shortage of genius-philosopher-saints.

So regulation and legal liability are what we are left with.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/
    Happy days!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Its lucky for Vallance that's he already been given his knighthood.

Because on this year's performance he wouldn't be getting one.
This discussion has been closed.