Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer tells Boris to “get a grip” as they prepare for the fi

Comments

• Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    O/T but just wanted to thank various posters who recommended the National Theatre's 'The House' (available to watch until tomorrow evening at 7pm). Watched it last night. Superb. Recommended it to two of my political mates who also greatly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    The Times report on the quarantine battle paints a pretty poor picture of our arrogant scientists. They really haven't got a clue.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Boris is embarrassingly bad
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

I assume we’ve discussed this?

Architect of Sweden’s no-lockdown policy admits too many have died

The architect of Sweden’s controversial no-lockdown policy has for the first time conceded the Scandinavian country should have imposed more restrictions to avoid having such a high death toll.

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1268122584681496577
    What Ferguson says is slightly more nuanced than the headline, but I'd lost respect for him if he didn't make the comments he has made - Sweden is interesting, not because it was the right thing to do (that depends on how acceptable higher deaths are compared to greater freedoms) but because the more minimal restrictions, largely self imposed, seem to have got R to ~1. Adopting similar largely voluntary changes early on here might (emphasis onmight) have averted many deaths and made the full lockdown unnecessary, although I suspect a high level of deaths was necessary, both there and here, to make people change behaviours in the ways needed.

Offtopic, but I discovered something useful, Telegraph paywall is purely client side (haven't looked into whether javascript, css or combination, but viewing page source reveals the full article text). I'd always assumed the server only provided the short introduction, but I was wrong.
    Trying to decide whether we or Sweden are better seems a bit futile, considering both of us have among the worst outcomes in Europe.
    Well, there is that... I wasn't advocating the Swedish approach being better than what we did (that's not my view). What I meant was that, as @edmundintokyo has been saying, it's looking as if there was scope to get R close to 1, maybe below 1, with substantially less severe lockdown measures. Of course, that's only really useful if you do that at a point where current infections are low and even then you do still need to ensure that actually R is <1 otherwise you're stuck in that position. Problem is that getting that to happen voluntarily probably needs enough deaths to make people act, at which point the number of infections is not low and you do need to lockdown hard to get things under control.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321

Hearing that this call was the one with all Opposition leaders, rather than a one-to-one ☎️ https://t.co/0Zjqucrz4u

— Pippa Crerar (@PippaCrerar) June 3, 2020
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Johnson's only response to scrutiny is to come over as affronted that he should have to answer questions.

That was excruciating to watch. He's godawful.

How the f*ck at the hour of our greatest need did Britain and America end up with Johnson and Trump?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    Pulpstar said:

Not as bad for Boris as the last time - he may be raising his game slightly.

I thought it was his worst so far. He makes TMay look good
    The most telling part of PMQs wasn't anything Boris said, it was his open mouthed heavy breathing just after Keir's "R rate between 0.5 and 0.9" part question

The live video did him even less favours than that screenshot.
    He looks like Yushchenko after Putin poisoned him.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    edited June 2020
    Barnesian said:

Dreadful performance by Johnson

With respect you know that is nonsense

I have been a strong critic of Boris recently but when he puts in a good performance I will say so

Indeed you need to see the number of my posts that have praised Starmer recently
    Starmer got Johnson to concede that shielded MPs will get a proxy vote (not just pairing) in contradiction to Rees-Mogg line yesterday. That was a win for Starmer.

Overall I thought it was a bit uninspiring on both sides. I'd expected a better quality joust. There is no doubt that Starmer looks more prime ministerial than Johnson!
    He may but if it comes over to the public he is playing politics with this pandemic he will not win over converts

Also I do not expect him to be against Boris in 2024
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

Can’t Johnson brush his hair, he looks embarrassing

I seem to remember a lot of Labour supporters taking offence with Tories criticising Corbyn's appearance back in the day.

Let's face it the Jezziah looked decidedly unkempt. But I agree that it was wrong to point it out then just as it's wrong to point it out now.

A man's abilities are not determined by how well he brushes his hair or where his suits come from.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The most telling part of PMQs wasn't anything Boris said, it was his open mouthed heavy breathing just after Keir's "R rate between 0.5 and 0.9" part question

The live video did him even less favours than that screenshot.
    He really is off the boil isn't he? He can't summon the energy to answer questions properly.

He looks beat to me. For the first time I'm seriously wondering if he will make it through to 2024.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,992
    edited June 2020

Johnson's only response to scrutiny is to come over as affronted that he should have to answer questions.

How the f*ck at the hour of our greatest need did Britain and America end up with Johnson and Trump?

We had the alternative of Corbyn, who would have been worse than Corbyn and the US had Hillary - who would have made a mediocre president I think.
    When the choice is mediocrity vs awful, best to go with mediocrity though.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

So bad you have to post it twice ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Just in

All schools to return in Wales on the 29th June in a phased return
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,866
    kyf_100 said:

I seem to remember a lot of Labour supporters taking offence with Tories criticising Corbyn's appearance back in the day.

Let's face it the Jezziah looked decidedly unkempt. But I agree that it was wrong to point it out then just as it's wrong to point it out now.

A man's abilities are not determined by how well he brushes his hair or where his suits come from.
    Agreed, its not as if there are not plenty of other criticisms available for our law breaking, lying, incompetent, divisive and blustering PM.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313
    edited June 2020

Just in

Kirsty's presentation was immense. She had thought through the return to school particularly well.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    kyf_100 said:

Just on this point, it certainly matters. Michael Foot never lived down the 'donkey jacket' saga at the cenotaph (even if his fans claim it wasn't) and Neil Kinnock never survived after looking a total prat on Brighton beach.

We expect our leaders to look and act the part. Rightly so.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,132

The expulsions have already started. It's great to see.

Yeah, me!
    You've been expelled?
    Effectively. LGU wrote to me rejecting my provisional membership as I was a LibDem last year. Email imprint from Jennie Formby. So thats an effective 2 year ban. There isn't anything at all stopping people defecting from one party to another and Salma Yaqoob can testify, so its a "GS has absolute power to say no" that did it. One of my local enemies worked for Laura Pillock and got upset when I called her "Pidcock" on a facebook page - been suggested that she got me bounced by going directly to the departing Formby.
    Absolutely ridiculous, although not surprising from the toxic Corbynites.

You should reapply and write to them – suspect you will be reinstated under Evans.
  • Options

And today Starmer was worse
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    OllyT said:

DougSeal said:

Interesting approach by Sir Keir. The softly-softly, above-the-fray option would have been politically safer. He obviously feels that the Cummings saga has given him the space to put the boot in.

With only 7% saying Cummings changed their behaviour not sure it will play well into public opinion who are on board with most of the easing and support the quarantine
    That does not translate into personal support for Boris who has been largely absent. The impact of the Cummings story is as a result of the anger at the hypocrisy and perception tha the was behaving dangerously.
    Which must be why the Tories are back to a double-digit lead with YouGov...

If Boris excels at winging it, then no one does whinging it like Starmer.
    Your partisanship is utterly boring.

Even the PB Tories aren't particularly partisan these days.
    Probably because many PB Tories no longer post because it has become a bit of a loony left echo chamber.
    I guess to you anyone to the left of Ghenghis Khan is a bit of left wing loony.
    Not exactly disproving my point by insinuating that I must be akin to a mass-murdering warlord. :D
  • Options

Hearing that this call was the one with all Opposition leaders, rather than a one-to-one ☎️ https://t.co/0Zjqucrz4u

It was discussed - Starmer being pedantic
  • Options

No he wasn't!! He's just forensic and cool. There are only two take-aways from that PMQ's. 1. The letter (bad for Johnson) and 2. the appearance and manner of Johnson (bad for Johnson).
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Corbyn was massively smartened up by Labour's stylists – which suggests that the party did recognise that it was important.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    "But if Trump walks like Nixon and talks like Wallace, he looks a lot like Lyndon B. Johnson, a president who by 1968 seemed unable to put the country back together. If what today’s Middle Americans (or, in Nixon’s words, “forgotten Americans”) want is an end to the violence, drama and discord, this week’s unrest may ultimately benefit the one candidate who has built his brand on a basis of empathy, shared sacrifice and loss and a sunny belief in a better tomorrow. 2020 could be Joe Biden’s year."
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/02/trump-1968-lyndon-johnson-297346
  • Options

Just in

Kirsty' presentation was immense She had thought it through particularly well.
    Kirsty and thinking is a first
  • Options

Where would you put yourself in terms of impartiality with your comment?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We had the alternative of Corbyn, who would have been worse than Corbyn and the US had Hillary - who would have made a mediocre president I think.
    When the choice is mediocrity vs awful, best to go with mediocrity though.

Corbyn worse than Corbyn? Bloody hell, I didn't realise he was that bad!!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2020

A generally crap and dull PMQs with Boris marginally better than normal.

Sir Keir got a bit snarky about a letter.

Boris looked a bloody scruffy mess again.

Last week was the week when Starmer could have caused him all sorts of trouble. The news cycle has moved on, events have moved on, the momentum has moved on ; an extremely lucky escape for Mr J.
  • Options

Don't blame me for your browser issues

:neutral:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805
    Scott_xP said:
    So what was the point of yesterday's farce then?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Wait - was @The_Jezziah actually Jeremy himself? Now that he's retired as leader is that hes disappeared...?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Corbyn was massively smartened up by Labour's stylists – which suggests that the party did recognise that it was important.
    It is important but shouldnt be. Criticism should therefore come from their own side, to get them to improve. If it comes from their opponents its playing the man not the ball.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,331

Last week was the week when Starmer could have caused him all sorts of trouble. The news cycle has moved on, events have moved on, the momentum has moved on ; an extremely lucky escape for Mr J.
    It aint over...

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18491570.dominic-cummings-council-investigates-planning-permission-complaints-durham-lockdown-cottage/
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    Oh dear, thank goodness once more that the imbecilic Theresa May is not involved with negotiations.

It should be obvious for anyone with two braincells to rub together that insisting before negotiations you will get a particular element from the party opposite gives the party opposite a blank cheque on what they can demand.

What a plonker. She's learnt nothing from her failure.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,609
    Scott_xP said:
    So the EU bureaucrats are quite prepared to refuse an offer for the police and border forces of nations within the EU to have full access to UK passenger data after the transition period, in order to deny the UK police and border forces the same reciprocal right.

Good riddance to them if they're going to indulge in such petty and unnecessary behaviour in this and other areas.

In time it'll sort itself out once they've moved to acceptance, but meantime all 28 nations pointlessly lose out in the short term. There will though be longer term consequences in terms of lingering ill will towards Brussels from not only the UK but also the 27 remaining EU nations who see the interests of the project once again taking precedence over their own.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    “Open goal” is now a very useful phrase for indicating that a post will contain no useful content. Bit like “metropolitan elite” used to.
  • Options

Just in

I disagree, we need more LDs in the Senedd!
  • Options

"But if Trump walks like Nixon and talks like Wallace, he looks a lot like Lyndon B. Johnson, a president who by 1968 seemed unable to put the country back together. If what today’s Middle Americans (or, in Nixon’s words, “forgotten Americans”) want is an end to the violence, drama and discord, this week’s unrest may ultimately benefit the one candidate who has built his brand on a basis of empathy, shared sacrifice and loss and a sunny belief in a better tomorrow. 2020 could be Joe Biden’s year."
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/02/trump-1968-lyndon-johnson-297346

Or...
  • Options

I agree. That's the first PMQ's I have watched since last year and if some people are saying that was good by Johnson, heaven help them.

He was AWFUL!

He is a useless, utterly useless, PM.
  • Options

No he wasn't!! He's just forensic and cool. There are only two take-aways from that PMQ's. 1. The letter (bad for Johnson) and 2. the appearance and manner of Johnson (bad for Johnson).
    The letter is nonsense.

Boris spoke with all the leaders including Starmer in a phone call

Boris appearance is a mess but that is Boris

And remember I do not support Boris since Cummings but today he beat Starmer comfortably
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Oh dear, thank goodness once more that the imbecilic Theresa May is not involved with negotiations.

It should be obvious for anyone with two braincells to rub together that insisting before negotiations you will get a particular element from the party opposite gives the party opposite a blank cheque on what they can demand.

She produced the best, most workable, Brexit solution out there.

As the months and years roll on you will have time to repent along with most of the country and rue bitterly the day that Parliament voted down her deal.

I guarantee it.

The only people left who will be happy that her deal failed will be the anarchists like Cummings and Farage.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Barnesian said:

I have been a strong critic of Boris recently but when he puts in a good performance I will say so

Indeed you need to see the number of my posts that have praised Starmer recently
    Starmer got Johnson to concede that shielded MPs will get a proxy vote (not just pairing) in contradiction to Rees-Mogg line yesterday. That was a win for Starmer.

Overall I thought it was a bit uninspiring on both sides. I'd expected a better quality joust. There is no doubt that Starmer looks more prime ministerial than Johnson!
    He may but if it comes over to the public he is playing politics with this pandemic he will not win over converts

I agree on your last point.

Johnson is not well and he's not enjoying this one little bit. Everywhere he looks is a problem - Covid, Brexit, Trump. He can't be cheerful and positive which is his default position. And he has a young baby at home. I have money on him retiring later this year. Followed by Gove or Hunt.
  • Options

It aint over...

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18491570.dominic-cummings-council-investigates-planning-permission-complaints-durham-lockdown-cottage/
    That just looks like a petty vendetta.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2020
    It really is being pedantic lawyery nit picking if you claim you wrote a letter to somebody and they didn't respond, when they had a long phone call with them (even if it was others to).

Its like somebody telling their kid they didn't write a thank you letter to granny for your Birthday present, but they have Facetimed them.

And it isn't as if we don't have much going on at the moment. I highly doubt Boris is just sitting around hour after hour with nothing to do.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Johnson is not well and he's not enjoying this one little bit. Everywhere he looks is a problem - Covid, Brexit, Trump. He can't be cheerful and positive which is his default position. And he has a young baby at home. I have money on him retiring later this year. Followed by Gove or Hunt.
    You forgot 'economy'

That's his biggest problem
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2020

kyf_100 said:

There's definitely a minimum standard required, Corbyn's people did well to drag him through a tailor's shop when Cameron made that criticism of him.

Likewise, Boris needs to be dragged through a barber's shop. The deliberately scruffy look really doesn't come across well during a major crisis.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

It is important but shouldnt be. Criticism should therefore come from their own side, to get them to improve. If it comes from their opponents its playing the man not the ball.
    Well if you spoke to Labour's chief stylist she would probably tell you that smart appearance leads to smart performance. I haven't spoken to her personally but every stylist I have ever met says words to that effect.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

It aint over...

Let the small-minded, vindictive rubbish continue! :lol:
  • Options
    Boris got much the better of Starmer on the BBC News edit.
  • Options

Just in

I disagree, we need more LDs in the Senedd!
    That is not going to happen
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670

It was discussed - Starmer being pedantic

I don't think it is. I assumed until I just read this that it was a one to one and thought that Boris's reply was ok.

There is a very big difference between a one to one and a group discussion. In any case I would always note down briefly was what discussed (not the details) and what was agreed and send it off as a record. I think Starmer should do the same in any following call and meeting.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,609
    edited June 2020

kyf_100 said:

Wait - was @The_Jezziah actually Jeremy himself? Now that he's retired as leader is that hes disappeared...?
    I know your comment is in jest but there is a serious point behind all that. The disappearance of Corbyn fellow travellers from just about all publically prominent roles is denying them the oxygen of publicity for their continuing efforts to undermine the leadership just as Starmer is getting Labour's act back on the road. They're confined to fringe websites and the like. Even Corbyn isn't getting much of a look in.
  • Options
    Genuinely mind-blowing. That bible-bashing "Christians" will vote for the man who tear-gassed a priest and her staff to remove them from His house so that Trump could desecrate His book outside it is less mind blowing...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

It aint over...

No... it looks like a standard Planning Violation. There are dozens if not hundreds of them every year.
  • Options
    I can understand the protest in London over the atrocious murder of George Floyd in the US but it must concern HMG that social distancing will be lost and so many will be from the BME community
  • Options
    It doesn't help that, just when they could use some Kennedy-esque generational leadership, they have nominated a relic from the past, Joe Biden. Trump's strongest card, as in 2016, is his opponent.

Telegraph
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

As the months and years roll on you will have time to repent along with most of the country and rue bitterly the day that Parliament voted down her deal.

I guarantee it.

The only people left who will be happy that her deal failed will be the anarchists like Cummings and Farage.
    There'll be a cold day in hell before I back May's deal I can assure you that.

I opposed it entirely consistently on principles.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Well if you spoke to Labour's chief stylist she would probably tell you that smart appearance leads to smart performance. I haven't spoken to her personally but every stylist I have ever met says words to that effect.
    I dont use stylists for performance analysis and not sure I have ever met one! Id certainly accept it leads to higher perception of smart performance, which may in turn lead to smarter performance depending on the group dynamics.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

It aint over...

No it’s called unexpected consequences of one actions. If it proves that the allegations are true then it’s their own fault. Why should the media give them a free pass?
  • Options
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879

It aint over...

Lots of voters have had to apply for planning permission for their extensions, sun rooms, garage conversions, etc. It's a laborious process and not a particularly cheap one.

The widespread perception of Cummings is that he doesn't think he has to abide by the rules that apply to the little people. This sort of story will only cement that perception.

(disclaimer: you should phone your district council for planning advice before considering cementing anything)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It aint over...

No it’s called unexpected consequences of one actions. If it proves that the allegations are true then it’s their own fault. Why should the media give them a free pass?
    And if the allegations aren't true it's a petty vendetta. That it's happening now certainly matches that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,526
    edited June 2020

It aint over...

Yes it does. Like the off-licence worker who was deported after falsely claiming Norman Lamont bought fags (or whatever it was) from him, if you have something to hide then try to keep off the front pages.

ETA as @El_Capitano points out, this particular charge is of a piece with the rules being for the likes of us, not the likes of Cummings.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

I know your comment is in jest but there is a serious point behind all that. The disappearance of Corbyn fellow travellers from just about all publically prominent roles is denying them the oxygen of publicity for their continuing efforts to undermine the leadership just as Starmer is getting Labour's act back on the road. They're confined to fringe websites and the like. Even Corbyn isn't getting much of a look in.
    Wasn't it Margaret Hodge that gave him a good kicking yesterday?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

There's definitely a minimum standard required, Corbyn's people did well to drag him through a tailor's shop when Cameron made that criticism of him.

Likewise, Boris needs to be dragged through a barber's shop. The deliberately scruffy look really doesn't come across well during a major crisis.
    He is trying to hide his loss of hair, if you look closely he’s going bald
  • Options
    His famous routine of black people vs N####, it also quite timely.
  • Options

You posted the same comment within a few minutes of one another. .. albeit one more verbose than the other. Please note that when you get furious.. the mask.of your alterego becomes obvious.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56

"Our policy is test, trace and isolate. His policy is agree, U-turn, then criticise."

Who on earth is Boris's speechwriter these days? That's not exactly a catchy soundbite.

Poor line from Boris. Maybe 'nod, kneejerk and whine' instead?

SKS was a bit shit Chris Eubank today.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322

Scott_xP said:

I guarantee it.

You're ploughing a lonely furrow. I believe even the DUP now accept that Theresa's deal would have been preferable. The current arrangement only benefited the EU and Boris's career prospects.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,932
  • Options

nichomar said:

It aint over...

And if the allegations aren't true it's a petty vendetta. That it's happening now certainly matches that.
    So when someone complains to the planning department of your council that someone has built a property without permission they shouldn't investigate? They've stuck an ugly great extension on the back, it blocks out the sun in your garden, they shouldn't investigate the allegation that they didn't get planning permission?

You're saying one rule for Cummings one rule for everyone else...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,140

Genuinely mind-blowing. That bible-bashing "Christians" will vote for the man who tear-gassed a priest and her staff to remove them from His house so that Trump could desecrate His book outside it is less mind blowing...
    You need to bear in mind that the Evangelicals that Trump is courting don't view Episcopalians as real Christians anyway. They loved the photo op - I read an interview with one of them where the guy said his mother was so impressed that she started speaking in tongues. Evangelicals have a whole belief system centred on biblical prophecy that, unless you have spent some time looking at it, is hard to believe. It informs the whole way that they interpret political and geopolitical events, and is the principal reason for the power of the pro-Israel lobby in the US, for instance (the establishment of Israel is seen as fulfilling biblical prophecy). Trump has been utterly cynical but quite successful in cultivating these voters, who probably account for the majority of his base.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For the first time I'm really beginning to think he won't make 2024.

There's another thing. His popularity is plummeting: Reuters polling said that in fifty years they had never seen such a sudden and dramatic fall in approval ratings (sorry bluestblue). Whereas Cummings couldn't care, Johnson really, really cares about whether he is liked. It's one of the reasons he can't stand scrutiny. The other being that lying courses through his veins and he hates being exposed.

Johnson will hate it that the scales are tumbling from people's eyes. Without this virus he would have been hoping to carry on with his bumbling obfuscation blather and blah-blah. Now he's in the spotlight, although he is trying his best to step away from tripping the light fantastic.

The man's been laid bare: like a jhator carcass on which the vultures are settling to feast.
  • Options
    China calls for end to racial discrimination....sorry I just spat out my coffee.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I guarantee it.

You're ploughing a lonely furrow. I believe even the DUP now accept that Theresa's deal would have been preferable. The current arrangement only benefited the EU and Boris's career prospects.
    Considering I'm not a member of the DUP, fan of it, and my objections were different then I don't see how that's relevant.

The current arrangements are better on principles I laid out clearly before the renegotiation and if the DUP don't like it my opinion is: tough s##t for them.
  • Options
    Hmm. So if a member of one group commits a homicide, then the perpetrator should be taken as representative of the whole of that group? That's a ... brave position to take.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    Care home in Somerset on the news where the staff haven't been home for 50 days, absolute legends. What incredible commitment.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

It aint over...

its not like there's recent evidence of people making shit up just to have a go at cummings

"yeah I said I saw him in durham LOLz"

the state of people on here never fails to surprise me
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I guarantee it.

Yep. And it preserved the United Kingdom.

But remember, Stark, that you are dealing with someone who infamously and quite disgracefully declared on politically betting that he would accept a return of the troubles in Northern Ireland if it meant delivering his sacred cow Brexit.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It aint over...

So when someone complains to the planning department of your council that someone has built a property without permission they shouldn't investigate? They've stuck an ugly great extension on the back, it blocks out the sun in your garden, they shouldn't investigate the allegation that they didn't get planning permission?

No I'm saying that if there was an objection it should have been filed when I was done. If the sun was blocked out I'd file a complaint immediately not when the person who did it hit the news.
  • Options

It aint over...

No... it looks like a standard Planning Violation. There are dozens if not hundreds of them every year.
    Does it even apply if one is the most important unelected official in the country and married to landed gentry?
  • Options

You posted the same comment within a few minutes of one another. .. albeit one ... than the other. Please note that when you get furious.. the mask.of your alterego becomes obvious.
    I didn't. As you have now accepted.

Re the alterego I take it that's a reference to Eadric / Sean? A little tired and worn out I'm afraid, like your beloved Bojo.

I don't do fury by the way. It's an estrogen thing.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,140

Hmm. So if a member of one group commits a homicide, then the perpetrator should be taken as representative of the whole of that group? That's a ... brave position to take.
    If that's what you got from that clip maybe you should watch it again?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,088
    Can we take a moment to recognise that in the last thread, @HYUFD suggested that if Nissan closed and it negatively affected the North East, then that is their own fault for voting for Brexit and for the Conservatives?

Can we just recognise this special moment please.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For the first time I'm really beginning to think he won't make 2024.

There's another thing. His popularity is plummeting: Reuters polling said that in fifty years they had never seen such a sudden and dramatic fall in approval ratings (sorry bluestblue). Whereas Cummings couldn't care, Johnson really, really cares about whether he is liked. It's one of the reasons he can't stand scrutiny. The other being that lying courses through his veins and he hates being exposed.

Johnson will hate it that the scales are tumbling from people's eyes. Without this virus he would have been hoping to carry on with his bumbling obfuscation blather and blah-blah. Now he's in the spotlight, although he is trying his best to step away from tripping the light fantastic.

The man's been laid bare: like a jhator carcass on which the vultures are settling to feast.
    The Conservatives are still leading Mr. Boring's party very comfortably, they have a virtually unassailable position in Parliament, and Boris has every chance of being Prime Minister for a decade if he runs another good campaign next time.

Sorry, Mysticrose - not everyone turns tail and runs at the slightest whiff of grapeshot.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I guarantee it.

'Principles' that would have embraced the return of sectarian violence to the streets of Northern Ireland in order to deliver your version of a pure Brexit. Never mind the break up of the UK and murder on our streets, those are secondary for you.

Shameful. And that's euphemistic.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,765
    Scott_xP said:
    Surely the correct answer is that it depends on the EU. We can't force them to give us the data if they use it for leverage over something else. A quick, mutual side agreement on passenger data would be sensible, but that's not how the EU likes to phase things. With them it's more like "you give us the fish and we'll give you the data".
  • Options
    edited June 2020

China calls for end to racial discrimination....sorry I just spat out my coffee.

It's similar to the ocassions when Jeremy Corbyn regularly called for an end to anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996

You need to bear in mind that the Evangelicals that Trump is courting don't view Episcopalians as real Christians anyway. They loved the photo op - I read an interview with one of them where the guy said his mother was so impressed that she started speaking in tongues. Evangelicals have a whole belief system centred on biblical prophecy that, unless you have spent some time looking at it, is hard to believe. It informs the whole way that they interpret political and geopolitical events, and is the principal reason for the power of the pro-Israel lobby in the US, for instance (the establishment of Israel is seen as fulfilling biblical prophecy). Trump has been utterly cynical but quite successful in cultivating these voters, who probably account for the majority of his base.
    And if you do spend time looking at it...well it's even harder to believe.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It aint over...

its not like there's recent evidence of people making shit up just to have a go at cummings

Were you mirror gazing when you made your last comment?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    edited June 2020
    nichomar said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

He is trying to hide his loss of hair, if you look closely he’s going bald
    Like....name’s on the tip of my tongue
  • Options

nichomar said:

It aint over...

No I'm saying that if there was an objection it should have been filed when I was done. If the sun was blocked out I'd file a complaint immediately not when the person who did it hit the news.
    The complaint is that the building was erected without planning permission. If permission was asked for and refused then yes, object at the point it was filed. However, if planning permission was not sought its's hard to object at the proper time as that time never existed. Hence the need to investigate, the planning authority doing its legal duty.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

nichomar said:

It aint over...

There will be plenty of experts on Durham County Council's planning regulations on here by the weekend.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996
    Does anyone know if this Welsh schools plan includes Year 11?
    My 16 year old is now highly stressed having been told since March that he's finished till September.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I guarantee it.

Yep. And it preserved the United Kingdom.

But remember, Stark, that you are dealing with someone who infamously and quite disgracefully declared on politically betting that he would accept a return of the troubles in Northern Ireland if it meant delivering his sacred cow Brexit.
    That's not what I said.

What I actually said is I'd rather have no Brexit than May's deal. I said May's deal was unacceptable and that I oppose violence and don't believe threats of it should make us give in to terrorist demands.
  • Options

Can we take a moment to recognise that in the last thread, @HYUFD suggested that if Nissan closed and it negatively affected the North East, then that is their own fault for voting for Brexit and for the Conservatives?

Can we just recognise this special moment please.

I did. I invited him to come and knock doors up here with a blue rosette on so that he can explain the triumph of the will to the local newly impoverished and unemployed.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Boris definitely looked better on BBC. Labour supporters must be hoping Starmer has another gear to go up.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,260

It aint over...

I'm sure everyone's suitably grateful that you occasionally descend from Mt Olympus to grace us with an example of a superior state of existence.
This discussion has been closed.