Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Behind all the terrible COVID-19 statistics a story of two wom

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    MikeL said:

How many people know this?

Pensioner has gross income:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

Personal allowance £12,500. Dividend allowance £2,000. Interest allowance £1,000. And finally the clever one that nobody knows about: Starter rate 0% on first £5,000 of (remaining) savings income.

Plus of course they could have large amounts of ISA income and gains all also tax free!

Ignores the fact that pensioners (usually) paid tax all their working lives.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

Surely the answer is that Boris will put up taxes to some degree but it'll be ones that don't generate headlines and are less likely to be noticed.

So that means tax rates do not go up (for any tax). Instead what you do is:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

I would have thought a pretty significant cut to relief for pension contributions is the most obvious big revenue earner - maybe restrict to basic rate.

Also cut CGT allowance from £12,000 to say £1,500, reduce ISA limit from £20,000 to say £10,000.

Next maybe scrap 0% rate on first £5,000 of savings income, scrap £2,000 dividend allowance.

The list goes on - lots of things you can do that most people don't have faintest idea about.

All good ideas - also get rid of the marriage allowance (why do we have this, its not the 1950s), scrap the Triple Lock. I would freeze all welfare and state pension for five years.

And make self employed pay their fair rate of NI.

The Tory manifesto contained a commitment to keep the triple lock, Tory members also strongly support the marriage allowance.

We have a Tory majority and it will pursue Tory policies
    Tory Governments have often increased taxes - including when headed by Thatcher.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,327
    Ave_it said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

Surely the answer is that Boris will put up taxes to some degree but it'll be ones that don't generate headlines and are less likely to be noticed.

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

I would have thought a pretty significant cut to relief for pension contributions is the most obvious big revenue earner - maybe restrict to basic rate.

Also cut CGT allowance from £12,000 to say £1,500, reduce ISA limit from £20,000 to say £10,000.

Next maybe scrap 0% rate on first £5,000 of savings income, scrap £2,000 dividend allowance.

The list goes on - lots of things you can do that most people don't have faintest idea about.

All good ideas - also get rid of the marriage allowance (why do we have this, its not the 1950s), scrap the Triple Lock. I would freeze all welfare and state pension for five years.

The Tory manifesto contained a commitment to keep the triple lock, Tory members also strongly support the marriage allowance.

" I would freeze all welfare"

They've been frozen for years. Now you to freeze them some more?
    Welfare includes the state pension! Freeze that for five years.
    Yes I think I said that earlier
    People with disabilities get the usual rate through all this, and have had sod all up tick for years.

And yet, suddenly, the state can afford to give employees 80% of their salary.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,704
    Great story, Mike.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,138

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

This IHT story is a trial balloon. Expect many more such. The government is softeing up the Press and the reasonably off for the inevitable unavoidable fact that they are going to have to put their hands in their pockets.
    In some way shape or form.
    The numbers don't work otherwise. Either economically or electorally.

Not happening, Boris is ideologically opposed to putting up tax or cutting spending, he is not George Osborne but a Berlusconi style populist.

Boris and Sunak will borrow indefinitely rather than put up tax or cut spending on the police, schools or NHS
    A post that will age badly imho.
    It won't, in economics terms Boris is George W Bush crossed with Silvio Berlusconi, he believes like Dick Cheney 'deficits don't matter'
    You post with such certainty in an ever changing world

Taxes will rise
    They will not, it would be the equivalent of George HW Bush betraying his 'no new taxes' pledge of 1988, the Tory base would rightly go mad and Tory MPs revolt en masse. Boris knows that
    Taxes will rise and by popular demand.

You are talking of some right wingers in the party like yourself but they will be outvoted by the rest and a general consensus of equity that the wealthy have to pay more
    Wrong, IHT is deeply unpopular.

Closing tax evasion loopholes is all the Tory manifesto promised not raising tax. That is what Labour governments do
    Where did I mention IHT
    I mentioned IHT because the Telegraph is involved in some kite flying about that tax this morning. 80% was the headline.
    It also mentioned a 90% top rate of income tax, if you read the article it was talking about how far Labour raised taxes before Thatcher was elected
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    To be fair, he was probably covering the orifice he talks from.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    edited April 2020
    MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

Personal allowance £12,500. Dividend allowance £2,000. Interest allowance £1,000. And finally the clever one that nobody knows about: Starter rate 0% on first £5,000 of (remaining) savings income.

Plus of course they could have large amounts of ISA income and gains all also tax free!

The starter rate starts being phased out once your total income exceeds £18,500, so this example may need a bit of tweaking?

• Options

MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

Tax on dividends at 20% over 2k? and 40 % fir higher rate taxpayers?
    20-30% below national average income.

It's not exactly a goldmine, is it?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

Tory Governments have often increased taxes - including when headed by Thatcher.
    Thatcher cut the top rate of income tax from 83% when she arrived at No 10 to just 40% by the time she left office
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805

Never enough...

The families of bus drivers , shop workers, prison officers and other frontline staff who have died from coronavirus should be entitled to the £60,000 life assurance alongside those of healthcare workers, according to employees and unions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/calls-include-bus-drivers-60k-payouts-coronavirus-deaths

Before we know it will be anybody who died. And £60k won't be enough, it will be £100k.

To be fair it is difficult to argue against the £60,000 award
    My point was as soon as it was announced I predicted we would get complaints of not enough.
    I think the point is that those in the NHS Superannuation have death in service benefits for their spouses and dependents.

Many do not, particularly those returning from retirement (at particular risk because of age), and those who are working as locums or agency nurses. I think also a lot of cleaners and housekeepers are contracted out and not covered by death in service.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited April 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

This IHT story is a trial balloon. Expect many more such. The government is softeing up the Press and the reasonably off for the inevitable unavoidable fact that they are going to have to put their hands in their pockets.

Not happening, Boris is ideologically opposed to putting up tax or cutting spending, he is not George Osborne but a Berlusconi style populist.

Boris and Sunak will borrow indefinitely rather than put up tax or cut spending on the police, schools or NHS
    It won't, in economics terms Boris is George W Bush crossed with Silvio Berlusconi, he believes like Dick Cheney 'deficits don't matter'

Taxes will rise
    They will not, it would be the equivalent of George HW Bush betraying his 'no new taxes' pledge of 1988, the Tory base would rightly go mad and Tory MPs revolt en masse. Boris knows that

You are talking of some right wingers in the party like yourself but they will be outvoted by the rest and a general consensus of equity that the wealthy have to pay more
    There speaks the sensible wing of the Tory party.
    BigG voted Labour in 1997 and 2001, he is a floating voter not the Tory base
    I am not a floating voter and those on here will just ridicule you for suggesting it

But we are very different conservatives, you a Trump leaning right winger, and me a compassionate liberal conservative

Indeed over time Boris is likely to leave the right in his wake as he creates a fair society with good public services and sensible tax increases to address the levels of unfairness we see
    You may be a wet lettuce conservative Big G but Boris is a raw steak conservative and committed to tax cuts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/09/boris-johnsons-radical-plan-slash-income-tax-3million-raising/

We will also need to keep taxes low to get the economy growing again post lockdown anyway
    That article was in June 2019 but trust you to use an article nearly one year old to try to make your point when a pandemic has shattered our country emotionally and economically

Taxes will rise and being compassionate is not a wet lettuce but then your Trump like tendencies does not seem to recognise compassion and fairness
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,222
    When I was a kid I really wanted to join the Navy and become a submariner. Never did. Good job too as this lockdown proves I would have been really bad at it.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

Freezing welfare when the unemployment rate is likely to rise is a terrible idea.
    There are too many people on welfare who shouldn't be on it and it is a huge burden to the economy! All I am saying is keep it at current level ie no CPI increases for five years. I would like to go further but let's just do that, that will help reduce a bit of the debt.

Your evidence for that assertion is...?
    Put it bluntly the country is full of spongers! I personally know someone who has claimed benefits for 20+ years due to 'health problems' and there is nothing wrong with her!
    Really? Assuming you aren't a Russian troll bot, how the hell have they managed to get through the regular (as in every few months in some cases) reviews of their health condition by third parties such as ATOS?

I've known her for 20 years so I am in a better position to make that judgement than you. She can be very convincing...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    HYUFD said:

Illegal as it is in effect still an eviction
    As ever, the story does not give enough information to absolutely judge. Though it looks very dodgy.

A lodger only has a right to "reasonable" notice.

The tweet, however, is truly despicable - smearing 3-4 million people because one person did something she doesn't find acceptable.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Closing tax evasion loopholes is all the Tory manifesto promised not raising tax. That is what Labour governments do
    Where did I mention IHT
    I mentioned increasing IHT! Unearned wealth has to fund the bulk of these tax increases. Inheritances aren't earned. Let's do this to capital transfers too - the biggest problem in the London property market is caused by children buying flats primarily funded by mummy and daddy thus squeezing decent working class people out of the market. Let's tax that too!
    59% of voters think IHT is unfair, not just the rich

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

I am not a floating voter and those on here will just ridicule you for suggesting it

But we are very different conservatives, you a Trump leaning right winger, and me a compassionate liberal conservative

Indeed over time Boris is likely to leave the right in his wake as he creates a fair society with good public services and sensible tax increases to address the levels of unfairness we see
    You may be a wet lettuce conservative Big G but Boris is a raw steak conservative and committed to tax cuts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/09/boris-johnsons-radical-plan-slash-income-tax-3million-raising/

We will also need to keep taxes low to get the economy growing again post lockdown anyway
    That article was in June 2019 but trust you to use an article nearly one year old to try to make your point when a pandemic has shattered our country emotionally and economically

Taxes will rise and being compassionate is not a wet lettuce but then your Trump like tendencies does not seem to recognise compassion and fairness
    No taxes will not rise and being 'compassionate' does not mean ramping up taxes on hard working families and their assets!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Where did I mention IHT
    I mentioned increasing IHT! Unearned wealth has to fund the bulk of these tax increases. Inheritances aren't earned. Let's do this to capital transfers too - the biggest problem in the London property market is caused by children buying flats primarily funded by mummy and daddy thus squeezing decent working class people out of the market. Let's tax that too!

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair
    I'm talking about the views of real people not referring to opinion polls all the time! :lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

We either tax ourselves, tax our children, or debase the currency. Those are the options.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

Thatcher cut the top rate of income tax from 90% when she arrived at No 10 to just 40% by the time she left office
    And increased VAT from 8% to 15% within weeks of taking office! The range of goods subject to VAT was also widened. Moreover, to be accurate the Top rateof Income Tax she inherited was 83% - which she reduced to 60% in June 1979 and where it remained until 1988. I believe the public would accept a return to a Top Rate of 60%.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Where did I mention IHT

Agreed - unearned income.

Abolishing Private Residence Relief on main dwellings would remove a £30 billion a year subsidy.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Where did I mention IHT

I'm talking about the views of real people not referring to opinion polls all the time! :lol:
    That poll reflected the views of real people and a whopping 67% of Tory voters in that poll thought IHT unfair
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Where did I mention IHT

Foxys maxim of taxation: fair taxes are taxes paid by other people.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

Thatcher cut the top rate of income tax from 90% when she arrived at No 10 to just 40% by the time she left office
    And increased VAT from 8% to 15% within weeks of taking office! The range of goods subject to VAT was also widened. Moreover, to be accurate the Top rateof Income Tax she inherited was 83% - which she reduced to 60% in June 1979 and where it remained until 1988. I believe the public would accept a return to a Top Rate of 60%.
    The public would generally accept any rise in tax as long as they were not paying it, that does not mean a 60% top rate of income tax, one of the highest in the world, would do anything but slow investment and growth
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Nigelb said:
    We'll be on, what, 43 as a minimum and likely 64?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Where did I mention IHT

That poll reflected the views of real people and a whopping 67% of Tory voters in that poll thought IHT unfair
    I would respond but am off to have some broth! :lol:
  • Options
    Gains in socio-economic mobility through schools for the last ten years will be reversed by lockdown reports Newsnight.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

Freezing welfare when the unemployment rate is likely to rise is a terrible idea.
    There are too many people on welfare who shouldn't be on it and it is a huge burden to the economy! All I am saying is keep it at current level ie no CPI increases for five years. I would like to go further but let's just do that, that will help reduce a bit of the debt.

Put it bluntly the country is full of spongers! I personally know someone who has claimed benefits for 20+ years due to 'health problems' and there is nothing wrong with her!
    Really? Assuming you aren't a Russian troll bot, how the hell have they managed to get through the regular (as in every few months in some cases) reviews of their health condition by third parties such as ATOS?

I've known her for 20 years so I am in a better position to make that judgement than you. She can be very convincing...
    There certainly some very adept scammers of the system (though of course not all illness or disability is visible). It often seems that the assessments are harshest on the most frail.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That can't be right. The Corbyn Cult Left tweet every night that he is a eugenics nut who wants to kill all pensioners.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

There certainly some very adept scammers of the system (though of course not all illness or disability is visible). It often seems that the assessments are harshest on the most frail.
    A major problem is that the genuine often try their very best to not appear too bad (for example, describing their better days on the official forms), whereas the scammers have no compunction.

But even so, it takes some going to scam the system these days I would have thought.

• Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taxes will rise

Where did I mention IHT

I would respond but am off to have some broth! :lol:
    I thought gruel was the bedtime option. IMO IHT is a poisoned chalice for many non socialist inclined voters of whatever hue.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That can't be right. The Corbyn Cult Left tweet every night that he is a eugenics nut who wants to kill all pensioners.

He may well have started off that way. It wasn’t that "the science changed" it was that the polling/focus groups/social media did. That was what Cummings was there to say.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol, if that's true sounds like Dom had the right idea to me.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    GIN1138 said:

I wonder why Piers Morgan/Good Morning Britain/ITV think domestic violence during the lockdown is only worth less than three minutes of an eleven minute interview?

Is the message ITV are giving out that domestic violence is an unimportant and trivial matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUNlmoCEVLU&t=319s

His ratings are through the floor since he decided he was Jeremy Paxman

A thought occurred to me earlier that perhaps the covid crisis might make tv interviewers more civil. The delay on the webcam line means it makes for terrible tv to start speaking before you are sure the other person has finished what they have to say. BBC breakfast seem much more polite generally
  • Options
    Don’t anybody DARE accuse Anders of having an agenda!

https://twitter.com/freddiesayers/status/1255139950510501889?s=21
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol so we've gone from "not at meetings, farming out decisions to scientists, no oversight" to "at meetings, giving oversight to scientists and making the right decisions".

It's not going well for the Guardian on this one is it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

I wonder why Piers Morgan/Good Morning Britain/ITV think domestic violence during the lockdown is only worth less than three minutes of an eleven minute interview?

Is the message ITV are giving out that domestic violence is an unimportant and trivial matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUNlmoCEVLU&t=319s

His ratings are through the floor since he decided he was Jeremy Paxman

A thought occurred to me earlier that perhaps the covid crisis might make tv interviewers more civil. The delay on the webcam line means it makes for terrible tv to start speaking before you are sure the other person has finished what they have to say. BBC breakfast seem much more polite generally
    The unherd guy is decent. He asks a question and lets them respond before challenging them...rather than standard interrupt / shout over somebody.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Same old story from unnamed sources

Yawn

• Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    Lol so we've gone from "not at meetings, farming out decisions to scientists, no oversight" to "at meetings, giving oversight to scientists and making the right decisions".

I am a BIG fan of ', according to people familiar with the matter '
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Bloomberg story
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

Tax on dividends at 20% over 2k? and 40 % fir higher rate taxpayers?
    Given dividend recipients have (rightly IMO) been given no support in the current crisis, I don't think there will be any change to the dividend taxation. Not least because a cut on dividends almost across the board will mean it won't raise much but cause an almighty stink.

And higher rate taxpayers effectively already pay more than 40% on dividends - 32.5% but that is out of profits which have to be taxed as Corp tax.
  • Options
    NYT:

"Hillary Clinton, the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee and a political veteran who knows firsthand what it is like to compete against President Trump, threw her support behind Joseph R. Biden Jr. on Tuesday, the latest party leader to make the case for returning the White House to Democratic hands in November."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Bloomberg story
    No, the angle The Guardian have been pushing on this has unraveled. As I said on the day, that story would end up being helpful to the government, it would show that they were involved in the decision making process and not ignoring meetings. So it has turned out.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

The public perhaps, Tory voters, no.

Not going to happen either.
  • Options
    Good night folks
  • Options
    I'm with @MikeL - it will be freezing of allowances and thresholds. To be honest increasing taxes too soon would probably turn a bad recession into an awful depression.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'm with @MikeL - it will be freezing of allowances and thresholds. To be honest increasing taxes too soon would probably turn a bad recession into an awful depression.

Indeed. The timing is all.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Bloomberg story
    No, the angle The Guardian have been pushing on this has unraveled. As I said on the day, that story would end up being helpful to the government, it would show that they were involved in the decision making process and not ignoring meetings. So it has turned out.
    For all the screaming and wailing from certain quarters, Dom seems to be a positive influence on Govt. To be honest, this is what I've heard from acquaintances who know him, too.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

They did, but I see no reason why there are tax alliances other than the single personal alliance. Tax all income over £12,500 at the marginal rate.
  • Options
    The bloomberg story doesn't fit with what Ferguson said a SAGE meeting was like. When exactly to implement a measure is a political decision, the SAGE meeting is about presenting models, options and latest papers and debating their merits of the science behind them. Then Witty / Vallance meet with the likes of PM to disseminate the info and guided by that a decision is made.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    isam said:
    Yes, and I think that there will be a number of non cancer deaths too, in poorly controlled diabetes and heart disease etc, but in the longer term.

It is not that we are blocking these services, more that the patients are not coming.

Todays clinic was better, only 25% DNA.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

They did, but I see no reason why there are tax alliances other than the single personal alliance. Tax all income over £12,500 at the marginal rate.
    Considering many now work past retirement age, extending NI to pensioners would be a plausible NHS tax.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:
    Yes, and I think that there will be a number of non cancer deaths too, in poorlt controlled diabetes and heart disease etc, but in the longer term.

It is not that we are blocking these services, more that the patients are not coming.

I wonder to what degree the other health positives of the lockdown (fewer RTAs, fewer fights in town centres, fewer DIY accidents, fewer school accidents, fewer strokes and heart attacks) weigh against the negatives?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    UK behind Germany and France on military spending ...
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1255256405835157505?s=21
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

Considering many now work past retirement age, extending NI to pensioners would be a plausible NHS tax.
    And to be honest, I've never met anyone who disagrees with it, either.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Pension £12,500
    Dividends £7,000
    Bank interest £1,000

Total £20,500

Tax Bill = NIL!

The starter rate starts being phased out once your total income exceeds £18,500, so this example may need a bit of tweaking?

Must confess not 100% certain.

The £18,500 figure is presumably £12,500 + £5,000 + £1,000.

But what about the £2,000 dividend allowance - possibly that isn't an allowance but is a 0% rate so allowance still gets used up - ie you don't get it AND the starter rate as well - but as I say not certain!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

The public would generally accept any rise in tax as long as they were not paying it, that does not mean a 60% top rate of income tax, one of the highest in the world, would do anything but slow investment and growth
    We are fucked...we are broke...we have no money....we have a service sector, quicksand, gig economy that is fundamentally vulnerable....we are falling out of the world's biggest trading relationship....we are facing the the world's biggest economic calamity for a century.....we are seriously fucked big time....

Britain PLC is FUBARed....for a generation......

Whichever angle we look at this is shocking.....and you are still twittering on about old economics....they are gone...to echo our chancellor....we'll need to do whatever needs to be done.....
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

We are fucked...we are broke...we have no money....we have a service sector, quicksand, gig economy that is fundamentally vulnerable....we are falling out of the world's biggest trading relationship....we are facing the the world's biggest economic calamity for a century.....we are seriously fucked big time....

Whichever angle we look at this is shocking.....and you are still twittering on about old economics....they are gone...to echo our chancellor....we'll need to do whatever needs to be done.....
    In the short term, I'd expect an emergency tax cut to stimulate consumption. Vat back down to 17.5% for a year, perhaps.

• Options
    And now for some happy news...

Dr Anthony Fauci warned on Tuesday that the US could be in for a 'bad fall' if coronavirus treatments do not start working soon and that the killer virus is not merely going to 'disappear from the planet' when lockdowns finish.

Basically we are all f##ked unless somebody finds a miracle drug and / or a vaccine is produced.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

The 2019 new Tory voters from the Red Wall and elsewhere would be happy with it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

isam said:
    Yes, and I think that there will be a number of non cancer deaths too, in poorlt controlled diabetes and heart disease etc, but in the longer term.

I wonder to what degree the other health positives of the lockdown (fewer RTAs, fewer fights in town centres, fewer DIY accidents, fewer school accidents, fewer strokes and heart attacks) weigh against the negatives?
    More DIY accidents, surely? RTA deaths are only 1800 a year so 5 a day. And you have to add in domestic violence, and psychological damage, and I'm not sure there is any reason to expect strokes and heart attacks to fall. So I think the health benefits of lockdown are exaggerated.
  • Options

If we'd spent a fraction more of this budget on something like....hmmm let me think...pandemic planning....

Instead we spent our cash on nuclear weapons....
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Better air quality is helping with asthma admissions.

I think DIY and gardening injuries are up. The hand surgeons are busy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,526
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I think you may find this has changed and taxes will rise but so will spending on the NHS
    Taxes will not rise as the Tory manifesto Tory MPs were elected on made clear, Boris knows that and with a Tory majority of 80 Tory MPs elected on that manifesto will vote down any tax rises anyway
    HYUFD - the situation has changed. Taxes will need to rise and significantly to recover the nation's finance. Hopefully the focus will be on unearned wealth so increases to IHT, more tax on investment properties etc. But generally we all will have to pay more.

Plus - if the government is brave enough - a freeze on welfare, hopefully Boris' 80 seat majority will help with this!

The situation has not changed. Taxes will not rise and certainly not deeply unpopular taxes like IHT.

For the umpteenth time Boris is a populist not a deficit hawk like Osborne or May
    What about a digital tax on Amazon etc.? Even if they do just pass the tax on to UK consumers, it still wouldn't be that unpopular.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    tyson said:

If we'd spent a fraction more of this budget on something like....hmmm let me think...pandemic planning....

With that attitude we'd probably be speaking Russian right now. Or worse, French.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,526
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

It's your poor full stop key that I feel for in all this.
  • Options

Dr Anthony Fauci warned on Tuesday that the US could be in for a 'bad fall' if coronavirus treatments do not start working soon and that the killer virus is not merely going to 'disappear from the planet' when lockdowns finish.

Basically we are all f##ked unless somebody finds a miracle drug and / or a vaccine is produced.

Pretty much it....we are placing the house on a vaccine...otherwise in 2 years time we will all be living in transformed, totalitarian, socialist, economies......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131
    Mark Francois is getting ready to cry Judas.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    RobD said:

tyson said:

With that attitude we'd probably be speaking Russian right now. Or worse, French.
    Award for one of the weirdest arguments mounted on PB ever. Nicely done. No nukes, speak French.
  • Options
    Go to the wrong aisle in the supermarket and the poo-poo will be all over you...cause mayhem on a main road, carry on.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11500646/bikers-rideout-tribute-london-north-circular-motorcyclist-death/
  • Options

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

As Elmore Leonard said...why let grammar get in the way of writing.....

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

isam said:
    Yes, and I think that there will be a number of non cancer deaths too, in poorly controlled diabetes and heart disease etc, but in the longer term.

Is a post treatment biopsy for non invasive bladder cancer that important? My dads got cancelled because of the covid crisis. He doesn’t want to go near a hospital now anyway as he is nervous he’ll catch it

It was post chemo injections, he’d already got an all clear after the op I think
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Award for one of the weirdest arguments mounted on PB ever. Nicely done. No nukes, speak French.
    To be fair to me 1) it was a joke, and 2) i was referring to the attitude.
  • Options
    At this rate we won't have to worry about quarantining new arrivals at airports, cos their won't be any airlines left.

Lufthansa, one of the world’s most powerful airlines, is preparing to file for bankruptcy as talks intensify over an €8bn (£7bn) German government rescue.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/04/28/lufthansa-mulls-bankruptcy-bailout-talks-stall/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Asking whether borrowing extra trillions to buy nukes might necessarily be money well spent at the moment seems like a pretty sensible question.
  • Options

In reality we are not, if you are under 50 even if you get Covid you are over 99.5% likely to survive it.

Once we have enough mass testing then ease the lockdown and if we get a vaccine great, if not we just press on anyway
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Asking whether borrowing extra trillions to buy nukes might necessarily be money well spent at the moment seems like a pretty sensible question.
    That would be an interesting question to ask, but it wasn't the one that was asked.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

The 2019 new Tory voters from the Red Wall and elsewhere would be happy with it.
    60% with the addition of NI would be utterly absurd.
    IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

More DIY accidents, surely? RTA deaths are only 1800 a year so 5 a day. And you have to add in domestic violence, and psychological damage, and I'm not sure there is any reason to expect strokes and heart attacks to fall. So I think the health benefits of lockdown are exaggerated.
    Who are these people doing DIY when they could be binging on Ozark and Better Call Saul??
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Who are these people doing DIY when they could be binging on Ozark and Better Call Saul??
    They definitely won't be binging on Westworld Season 3...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I think you may find this has changed and taxes will rise but so will spending on the NHS
    Taxes will not rise as the Tory manifesto Tory MPs were elected on made clear, Boris knows that and with a Tory majority of 80 Tory MPs elected on that manifesto will vote down any tax rises anyway
    HYUFD - the situation has changed. Taxes will need to rise and significantly to recover the nation's finance. Hopefully the focus will be on unearned wealth so increases to IHT, more tax on investment properties etc. But generally we all will have to pay more.

Plus - if the government is brave enough - a freeze on welfare, hopefully Boris' 80 seat majority will help with this!

The situation has not changed. Taxes will not rise and certainly not deeply unpopular taxes like IHT.

For the umpteenth time Boris is a populist not a deficit hawk like Osborne or May
    What about a digital tax on Amazon etc.? Even if they do just pass the tax on to UK consumers, it still wouldn't be that unpopular.
    Maybe but would likely need to be G7 wide to be effective
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pretty much it....we are placing the house on a vaccine...otherwise in 2 years time we will all be living in transformed, totalitarian, socialist, economies......
    Or we reach some form of herd immunity -

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1254160937805926405
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

We created our own nuclear weapons because of the Americans, not the Russians.
  • Options

NYT:

"Hillary Clinton, the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee and a political veteran who knows firsthand what it is like to compete against President Trump, threw her support behind Joseph R. Biden Jr. on Tuesday, the latest party leader to make the case for returning the White House to Democratic hands in November."

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1255227126002974725?s=20
  • Options

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

He loves his ellipsis even more than his apocalyptic predictions.
  • Options

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

We created our own nuclear weapons because of the Americans, not the Russians.
    True, speaking american is perhaps the most frightening prospect.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Is a post treatment biopsy for non invasive bladder cancer that important? My dads got cancelled because of the covid crisis. He doesn’t want to go near a hospital now anyway as he is nervous he’ll catch it

It was post chemo injections, he’d already got an all clear after the op I think
    Hopefully when this all settles.....the NHS will look at historical DNA's with horror about how badly it used to perform.....

In many sectors it really wasn't fit for purpose....particularly in getting vulnerable people into appointments (and then blaming them for not coming in)....

I have the deep scars of dealing with clinicians who couldn't see beyond their own sanctimonious bullshit.....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,917
    With a bit of luck Captain Tom Moore should reach £30 million by his 100th birthday on Thursday. Currently on £29.35 million.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In reality we are not, if you are under 50 even if you get Covid you are over 99.5% likely to survive it.

Once we have enough mass testing then ease the lockdown and if we get a vaccine great, if not we just press on anyway
    There are pigs flying in the sky, cats and dogs are sleeping together, hell has frozen over and I find myself agreeing with something HYUFD has posted.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

tyson said:

Or we reach some form of herd immunity -

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1254160937805926405
    We can hope.....

• Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

MikeL said:

- Freeze allowances
    - Reduce reliefs

IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Tory voters in the red wall care more about cutting immigration and delivering Brexit in full than they do about raising taxes on the rich, wealthy Tory voters in the South though do care about keeping their taxes low
  • Options
    RobD said:
    PB Tories, right again.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:
    PB Tories, right again.
    We're always right, and never learn. Or something like that.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I’ll wait for the Employment Tribunal to make that statement
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:
    PB Tories, right again.
    We're always right, and never learn. Or something like that.
    Always right, others never learn, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.