Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will be Sir Keir Starmer’s successor?

Comments

• Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

eek said:
    If that is indeed the case, it rather dents that Swedish epidemiologist’s stance that the true death rate of coronavirus is no more than one in a thousand.

Literally every resident of NYC would need to have been infected and all survivors would now be immune.

If deaths continue, the death rate is obviously above 0.1%
    But do we know how many have been infected?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

For the mathematically inclined I hadn't realised it was so hard to predict an s-curve until after the event

https://constancecrozier.com/2020/04/16/forecasting-s-curves-is-hard/

The difficulty is, of course, obvious once explained.

I really want to see the MCMC version of this, where the plot shows a hundred sets of model parametrs that fit to the data. The large uncertainty in the right hand side would be much more obvious.
    It all comes down to the second turning point, without knowing what that level is it is basically impossible to predict an accurate curve.
    Yeah, I would like to see a version of this with the 1-sigma confidence interval around the best-fit model plotted. It would only really collapse down once you start to get over the peak. The current animation actually flatters it, as the least-squares fit does a pretty good job even early on.
  • Options
    alterego said:

eek said:
    If that is indeed the case, it rather dents that Swedish epidemiologist’s stance that the true death rate of coronavirus is no more than one in a thousand.

Literally every resident of NYC would need to have been infected and all survivors would now be immune.

But do we know how many have been infected?
    If everyone in NYC has been or currently is infected the death rate is 0.1%, so it can only be higher.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Care homes cannot safely accept hospital patients suffering from coronavirus without risking the lives of residents, ministers were told on Wednesday.

You have to wonder why they need to be "told" this. It's blindingly obvious as soon as you think about it for 5 seconds.
    Correct.
    It is still policy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    eadric said:

Re COBRAgate

All this stuff is just another wraith in the fog of war. Like criticizing the evacuee policy in the early days of the blitz. Quite possibly justified, but it will be dwarfed by later events

In the end what will matter is the hit to the economy and the death toll. And how that compares to other big Western European countries. Right now we seem to be doing about the same as Italy, france and Holland. Maybe slightly better than Spain. Worse than Germany so far.

But this virus has another 18 months and several waves to come. A long way to go. If we end up much worse than our neighbours then the government will pay. If we don’t, it won’t. And no one knows right now

You surely admit the negligence is jaw dropping?

The model didn't change and therefore the advice changed, as ministers claimed. The base case of half a million deaths was there in plain sight all along. So why did the committees keep the risk rating at low? Ministers not turn up to meetings? The PM go on holiday for two weeks (just a month after his last one)? And they sat on their hands and did almost nothing for six weeks.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Macron is right. A supply side monetary response is urgently required by the EU and the EZ in particular. If it does not happen several EZ countries such as Italy and Spain will have an economic disaster of the sort not seen since Hoover. Its not just a question of whether the EU would survive such a calamity, it is a question of whether it should.
    Its back to the fundamental problem of the EU - too much, too fast.

The Germans were told by their leaders that their sacrificing wage increase and being frugal led the the German boom. Which reinforced the notion that Germany was carrying the weight in Europe. In reality, the Euro helped Germany immensely at the expense of other parts of Europe.

In those other parts, the leaders talked of reform. But did not rebuild their economic systems to the German model. Because to even start, would to have been thrown from office, with ignominy. Who now remembers the Professor of economics in Athens, who was pitched out of his job, for suggesting in the boom years that the deficit the government was running was a bad idea? Motorcycle boy said he deserved it (and the death threats) at the time... no apology later.

Either the EU converages to carry out the fiscal transfers required, or they do nothing, or they split.

They will do nothing for as long as possible.

There will need to be fiscal transfers if the Euro is to work long term but that is not the current urgency. What is urgent now is that there is an ECB response similar to that of the BoE and the Fed with a major QE injection to protect the economy from very severe economic damage (some is inevitable). For a single currency bloc that means Coronabonds and the ECB essentially underwriting the bond issues of member states to the extent needed to fund the fiscal response to the crisis. Germany and Holland are blocking this because they can afford a much bigger fiscal response and can borrow pretty much unlimited sums at minimal cost. Spain and Italy can't. Its really shameful.
    Coronabonds are a fiscal transfer by another name - putting Germany and the other contributors on the line for the others debts.
    Yup. What else did they expect when they all agreed to sign up to a single currency?
    The politicians lied to each other and to their electorates.

The Greek politicians said they would become good Germans.
    The Greek politicians told the electorate that there would be reforms. And then did nothing at the slightest sign of opposition.
    The Germans told their people that everyone in Europe would become fiscally responsible. And that low wage rises were making Germany competitive and strong. And that big fiscal transfers would not be needed.
    etc.
    etc.

Everyone triangulated everyone.
    Don't forget to name-check Goldman Sachs (with the Greece debacle).

And don't forget that it's not optimal for neighbouring countries with similar economies who trade a lot together all to have their own silly little currencies.
    Using the term “optimal” in this situation implies a specific set of conditions. These were (and are) not met. Hence the Eurozone is not an optimal currency area
    That’s a fair cop. I used the wrong word. "Sensible" is better.
    It’s not really sensible to force a single currency onto a non-OCA either..
    My post with your edit reads as follows -

It is not "sensible" for neighbouring countries with similar economies who trade a lot with each other to all have their own little currencies.

That works.
    I think Charles' point is that they don't have similar economies.
    Some do. Some don't.

You just need to be similar enough.
    And I think his point is they aren't. ;)
    Well he's obviously wrong then innit.

If "they" refers to the whole EZ.

What else does the bozo think?
    They have capital and labour flows (although labour flows are not that good ex U.K.)

They don’t have a currency risk sharing mechanism.

Basically Spain and Greece get stuffed because Germany isn’t willing to engage is fiscal transfers.
    Indeed. There are negatives.

But don't forget the other side of the argument - that sharing a currency brings great efficiencies to a trading zone.

This is what I was keen to stress since it isn't stressed enough IMO.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,862

One thing that I find curious is the apparent policy of discharging patients into care homes. It seems so obviously dangerous, yet they must have thought of this. Do the experts believe that the discharged patients are no longer infectious? If so, I hope they are very sure about this - it would be a bad thing to be mistaken about!

--AS

Inexplicable to me. There is good reason to believe that most transmission now is within residences. Multi occupant residencies in particular.

I think that we should adopt the policy of not discharging patients until they have had negative swabs taken two days apart. It is not as if there is pressure on rehab beds, just Acute Medical and ICU beds.

I was speaking to a Maltese colleague earlier. They admit all patients to an assessment ward for swabs and point of care antibody testing. They get PCR results on the swabs in 6 hours, and don't find the antigen testing reliable. They repeat the swabs as nessecary if clinically suspicious, and often find they need to repeat several times before they become positive.

They have had 3 deaths, which on a per capita basis is one of the best around. Testing and quaratining is the key to getting a low transmission ratio. Lockdown is a very blunt instrument in comparison, and only effective as an adjunct to a proper testing regime.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078

PETER HITCHENS: Have five weeks of this mad lockdown panic actually done us good?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8233479/PETER-HITCHENS-five-weeks-mad-lockdown-panic-actually-good.html

Hmmm....not crashing the NHS?

Some surprising figures on here have suggested that has done nothing more than help people die more comfortably, thus presumably has saved noone, so the thought it has done no good is more widespread than just Hitchens.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    isam said:

eek said:

Maybe the death rate is higher in big cities
    NYC is a dirty place

“ — Coronavirus patients in areas that had high levels of air pollution before the pandemic are more likely to die from the infection than patients in cleaner parts of the country, according to a new nationwide study that offers the first clear link between long-term exposure to pollution and Covid-19 death rates.“

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/climate/air-pollution-coronavirus-covid.html
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Saj must think Hancock's career is on the brink.
    Even if it was Hunt is surely favourite to come back as health secretary.
    Yeah, it would have to be a previous health secretary, no question.
    Unless Hunt refused.

Interestingly, with Clarke’s retirement Hunt is now the only former health secretary left in the Commons. But then it is eight years since Hunt took over from Lansley.
    Baroness Bottomley could do it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales
    Now...all my (Italian) friends...even my mother in law, are homing in on the UK's approach as being catastrophic....this is now being played out on all Italian news....

This is what has prompted my criticism today...not in fact the Times story...but which in itself says it all....where was Boris as the greatest single issue was fast approaching?

CNN...the New York Times..Washington Post....similarly all pointing the fingers at our incompetence...

BBC World News...the same.....

Why have we managed this so appallingly?

Why were we running Cheltenham, having huge indoor concerts, Champions League Matches in March. (when Europe was closed down)..why were we not closing down our airports...even now....why is our testing capacity so poor, even though we have had labs asking to take part....?? So many mistakes...

Why have we ended up with such an inexperienced group of politicians running our Govt who only seem to have been chosen because they sweared loyalty to Brexit....??

Our economy is service led...and dependant on people feeling confident about spending money.....which this pandemic is lasered on....

The incompetence of this Govt will means that the economic impact will be worse than it should have been...but many thousands of people will have died too....

I'm not playing politics...it is just that political leadership matters to people....

It comes down to whether you accept the science you are told or overrule it

The science may or may not be correct but as long as Boris and HMG follows the science there is little else any other poltician would do, hence why Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster are applying it to the devolved nations
    You're sounding like Jennifer Aniston.
    Who ?
    Oh come on. It's iconic. At 10 seconds -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Uhv131Ggk
    To be honest I have not heard of her, other than is she in neighbours ?

You see, I have no time for celebrities and have no interest in them other than when Beckham's wife rips off our taxpayers, including our nurses, by furloughing her employees, without any thought

Shame on her
    To be fair to Victoria Beckham she did pay the final 20% of her employees wages the government did not pay
    VB Fashion has been close to bankrupt for years. It’s only the directors putting money in (DB) that has kept it afloat.

Sadly, plenty of dead businesses will have been propped up by the government furlough scheme.
    The Beckhams combined net worth is £350 million.

Beyond employing 30 people, the main purpose of VB Fashion is to give Victoria something to do now some of her kids have left home
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunday-times-rich-list-david-and-victoria-beckham-net-worth-f8xz2lzd2
    I’d strongly recommend not using the Rich List as an accurate reference point of wealth. It’s worth a giggle over coffee, that’s it.
    Do they get you miles wrong every time? ☺
    Not me... I’m just the spare...
    Oh no! Fate worse than.

Not running off to California though.
    Well I married a California girl and spend quite a bit of time there...
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    eadric said:

Have we heard from Gideonwise since his - we hope - recovery?

Mildly concerning

I'm equally concerned but note that he was last active on 16 April
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

eek said:

Maybe the death rate is higher in big cities
    NYC is a dirty place

“ — Coronavirus patients in areas that had high levels of air pollution before the pandemic are more likely to die from the infection than patients in cleaner parts of the country, according to a new nationwide study that offers the first clear link between long-term exposure to pollution and Covid-19 death rates.“

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/climate/air-pollution-coronavirus-covid.html
    On the other hand cities have younger populations.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Macron is right. A supply side monetary response is urgently required by the EU and the EZ in particular. If it does not happen several EZ countries such as Italy and Spain will have an economic disaster of the sort not seen since Hoover. Its not just a question of whether the EU would survive such a calamity, it is a question of whether it should.

The Germans were told by their leaders that their sacrificing wage increase and being frugal led the the German boom. Which reinforced the notion that Germany was carrying the weight in Europe. In reality, the Euro helped Germany immensely at the expense of other parts of Europe.

In those other parts, the leaders talked of reform. But did not rebuild their economic systems to the German model. Because to even start, would to have been thrown from office, with ignominy. Who now remembers the Professor of economics in Athens, who was pitched out of his job, for suggesting in the boom years that the deficit the government was running was a bad idea? Motorcycle boy said he deserved it (and the death threats) at the time... no apology later.

Either the EU converages to carry out the fiscal transfers required, or they do nothing, or they split.

There will need to be fiscal transfers if the Euro is to work long term but that is not the current urgency. What is urgent now is that there is an ECB response similar to that of the BoE and the Fed with a major QE injection to protect the economy from very severe economic damage (some is inevitable). For a single currency bloc that means Coronabonds and the ECB essentially underwriting the bond issues of member states to the extent needed to fund the fiscal response to the crisis. Germany and Holland are blocking this because they can afford a much bigger fiscal response and can borrow pretty much unlimited sums at minimal cost. Spain and Italy can't. Its really shameful.
    Coronabonds are a fiscal transfer by another name - putting Germany and the other contributors on the line for the others debts.
    Yup. What else did they expect when they all agreed to sign up to a single currency?

The Greek politicians told the electorate that there would be reforms. And then did nothing at the slightest sign of opposition.
    The Germans told their people that everyone in Europe would become fiscally responsible. And that low wage rises were making Germany competitive and strong. And that big fiscal transfers would not be needed.
    etc.
    etc.

And don't forget that it's not optimal for neighbouring countries with similar economies who trade a lot together all to have their own silly little currencies.
    Using the term “optimal” in this situation implies a specific set of conditions. These were (and are) not met. Hence the Eurozone is not an optimal currency area

It is not "sensible" for neighbouring countries with similar economies who trade a lot with each other to all have their own little currencies.

That works.
    I think Charles' point is that they don't have similar economies.
    Some do. Some don't.

You just need to be similar enough.
    And I think his point is they aren't. ;)
    Well he's obviously wrong then innit.

If "they" refers to the whole EZ.

What else does the bozo think?
    They have capital and labour flows (although labour flows are not that good ex U.K.)

They don’t have a currency risk sharing mechanism.

Basically Spain and Greece get stuffed because Germany isn’t willing to engage is fiscal transfers.
    Indeed. There are negatives.

But don't forget the other side of the argument - that sharing a currency brings great efficiencies to a trading zone.

This is what I was keen to stress since it isn't stressed enough IMO.
    If it works. But the social costs are too high unless they are motivated. And German has a “fuck the hindmost” attitude that the alt-right would find refreshing
  • Options
    eadric said:

Have we heard from Gideonwise since his - we hope - recovery?

Mildly concerning

@rcs1000 would know
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

For the mathematically inclined I hadn't realised it was so hard to predict an s-curve until after the event

https://constancecrozier.com/2020/04/16/forecasting-s-curves-is-hard/

The difficulty is, of course, obvious once explained.

I really want to see the MCMC version of this, where the plot shows a hundred sets of model parametrs that fit to the data. The large uncertainty in the right hand side would be much more obvious.
    It all comes down to the second turning point, without knowing what that level is it is basically impossible to predict an accurate curve.
    Yeah, I would like to see a version of this with the 1-sigma confidence interval around the best-fit model plotted. It would only really collapse down once you start to get over the peak. The current animation actually flatters it, as the least-squares fit does a pretty good job even early on.
    This is arises in a classic ecological model known as logistic growth. If x is the proportion of infected people in the population the growth rate in exponential growth is proportional to x. In logistic growth it is proportional to x(1-x), and growth stops when the carrying capacity has been reached. In practice this boils down to the familiar problem that we do not know how many people has been infected in a population (yet).

Some broad limits are known. The number of infected people is more than the number who have tested positive and fewer than the total size of the population. That is still a wide range of uncertainty.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Saj must think Hancock's career is on the brink.
    Even if it was Hunt is surely favourite to come back as health secretary.
    Yeah, it would have to be a previous health secretary, no question.
    Unless Hunt refused.

Interestingly, with Clarke’s retirement Hunt is now the only former health secretary left in the Commons. But then it is eight years since Hunt took over from Lansley.
    Baroness Bottomley could do it.
    She should be self-isolating as she’s in her 70s
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,645
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

etc.
    etc.

That works.
    It’s wrong though. It’s not sensible to merge currencies unless (a) it is an OCA or (b) you have the political will for sustained fiscal transfers*. The Eurozone has neither.

* Like New York to Arkansas, Paris to the Masif Centrale or England to Scotland for example
    Countries have had no problem trading with their next door neighbours in different currencies. The friction is really quite minor as long as no-one does something especially stupid.

Currency union first is getting it the wrong way round - if the EU wanted a single currency, they needed to do about a century of expensive spade work.

IIRC the classic calculations of what fiscal transfers are required suggest that the current EU setup is about 30% of what would actually be the right number.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    How one of the British Isles is handling Covid-19 - no new positive cases today:

https://covid19.gov.gg/test-results
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Isn't Sweden doing a UK-lite though - you can go out and do stuff, but most Swedes simply aren't.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    They've found a new grievance!

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1251970574865199104?s=20

Our Nationalism is so much better than anyone else's nationalism.....
  • Options
    It does seem as if a lot of government has not learned their lessons from the February inaction, perhaps because they are not willing to admit that they squandered that time. Now they are squandering the time that the lockdown has so expensively bought.

Why do we not have a proper isolation hospital and testing plan for the relaxation period? There is no evidence of strategic thinking at all. Just rabbits in the headlights.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I’m increasingly of the mind that SWEDEN got it right and we should have stayed with herd immunity and a mild lockdown. This virus is a fucker whatever you do. Nothing works. It’s so persistent.

We should have isolated the vulnerable and taken it on the chin thereafter
    Words are cheap. By taking it on the chin are you arguing that the UK should have let the virus exceed NHS capacity?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,354
    edited April 2020

Isn't Sweden doing a UK-lite though - you can go out and do stuff, but most Swedes simply aren't.
    ...and hundreds/thousands of elderly people are allegedly dying in Swedish care homes of Covid-19 (Guardian).
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Given they are the responsibility of the UK government, surely they have to help them?

And we must be talking a tiny amount. What's the population of the overseas territories anyway?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I’m increasingly of the mind that SWEDEN got it right and we should have stayed with herd immunity and a mild lockdown. This virus is a fucker whatever you do. Nothing works. It’s so persistent.

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Germany and Norway seem to have done best through mass testing.

Until we get testing and tracing greatly expanded we cannot seriously ease off the lockdown
  • Options
    eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Speaks a man who fled the city for a Welsh bunker, expecting others to take it on the chin.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    So in Stockholm the number in hospital is still rising while in London it is falling.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    The trend is good. Very high rate of hospitalisation for not a very large city however.
  • Options
    blairfblairf Posts: 98

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Gosh, today has been bad tempered here! So many keen to assign blame, when the pandemic has barely started. There will be plenty of time to do the accounting on past mistakes, in the years to come. Personally I'm only interested in whether the present course should be changed. I don't see a lot to criticize there (though some have strong views on mask use, for example) but I may be missing some details.

One thing that I find curious is the apparent policy of discharging patients into care homes. It seems so obviously dangerous, yet they must have thought of this. Do the experts believe that the discharged patients are no longer infectious? If so, I hope they are very sure about this - it would be a bad thing to be mistaken about!

--AS

The social care sector primary purpose now is to take the pressure off hospital beds....old people dying in these homes and infecting others is collateral damage....

The NHS couldn't cope without this.....

It is just a matter of fact....

I can't quite follow this theory, though -- aren't there spare beds in hospitals? Quite a lot if you include the pop-up hospitals. I just don't understand why they would do that in this circumstance.

--AS
    I don't know if you are being deliberately naive....

The NHS is completely reliant on the social care sector ensuring that bed's are not blocked...

The worst situation would be an inability for the NHS to take sick people from private homes, and people dying along your street who could be treated and retuned home....

It is to the credit of the Govt that the NHS now has capacity to treat Covid patients on this wave (obviously not those from care homes)...it took a huge effort to prepare the hospitals

Old people dying in care homes is harsh....some of them probably could have survived if they had gone into hospital....but I do think if you ask them, and their families they would agree with this strategy....
    I absolutely agree with your last paragraph.

Indeed many old people both in care homes and out now have a real fear of going into hospital
    Credit where credit is due...the mobilisation of the NHS to deal with the first wave of this crisis is remarkable....

On a personal note...we were faced with the situation two years ago with my father in law in a care home...he got the flu and pneumonia , and we instructed the home to not send him to hospital...he died a couple of weeks later. We didn't want him to go through the distress of going to hospital...and it was the right decision....
    You know Tyson my sister wanted to pass in her bed in her nursing home and signed a DNR. The day came when she was dying and the nurse phoned for the doctor to be told the surgery was closed for training, no emergency number was left

The nurse then phoned for an ambulance and when the crew arrived I said she had a dnr and did not want to die in hospital. They said they needed a doctor and we could not get one. The paramedics then asked whether I wanted her to go with them to hospital or to leave her. Now at a time your sister is dying in front of you, and suffering, you are asked to be the one to decide, and as I could not let her continue suffering, I agreed for her to go to hospital

When I arrived in A & E about 20 minutes after the ambulance I was shown to my sister's bedside and the doctor said all treatment was withdrawn and only palliative care adminstered. He said he did not expect her to survive the night

After 5 hours she died and I was then told I would be interviewed by the police because my sister had died in A & E and the police required me to formally identify her body. This I did and after the police interview I went home utterly drained emotionally and physically

I don't know you but that hurts to read. I'm sorry and hope you get through this. Death is a f**ker. We will all have our own stories, some more, some less harrowing. I am so sorry again.
  • Options
    Claim - ‘This was despite the publication that day of an alarming study by Chinese doctors in the medical journal The Lancet. It assessed the lethal potential of the virus, for the first time suggesting it was comparable to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed up to 50 million people.'

Response - The editor of the Lancet, on exactly the same day – 23 January - called for “caution” and accused the media of ‘escalating anxiety by talking of a ‘killer virus’ and ‘growing fears’. He wrote: ‘In truth, from what we currently know, 2019-nCoV has moderate transmissibility and relatively low pathogenicity. There is no reason to foster panic with exaggerated language.’ The Sunday Times is suggesting that there was a scientific consensus around the fact that this was going to be a pandemic – that is plainly untrue.

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/04/19/response-to-sunday-times-insight-article/
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

...and hundreds/thousands of elderly people are allegedly dying in Swedish care homes of Covid-19 (Guardian).
    Same here, it seems

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/04/17/care-homes-and-covid19/
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Gosh, today has been bad tempered here! So many keen to assign blame, when the pandemic has barely started. There will be plenty of time to do the accounting on past mistakes, in the years to come. Personally I'm only interested in whether the present course should be changed. I don't see a lot to criticize there (though some have strong views on mask use, for example) but I may be missing some details.

--AS

The social care sector primary purpose now is to take the pressure off hospital beds....old people dying in these homes and infecting others is collateral damage....

The NHS couldn't cope without this.....

It is just a matter of fact....

I can't quite follow this theory, though -- aren't there spare beds in hospitals? Quite a lot if you include the pop-up hospitals. I just don't understand why they would do that in this circumstance.

--AS
    I don't know if you are being deliberately naive....

The NHS is completely reliant on the social care sector ensuring that bed's are not blocked...

The worst situation would be an inability for the NHS to take sick people from private homes, and people dying along your street who could be treated and retuned home....

It is to the credit of the Govt that the NHS now has capacity to treat Covid patients on this wave (obviously not those from care homes)...it took a huge effort to prepare the hospitals

Old people dying in care homes is harsh....some of them probably could have survived if they had gone into hospital....but I do think if you ask them, and their families they would agree with this strategy....
    I absolutely agree with your last paragraph.

Indeed many old people both in care homes and out now have a real fear of going into hospital
    Credit where credit is due...the mobilisation of the NHS to deal with the first wave of this crisis is remarkable....

On a personal note...we were faced with the situation two years ago with my father in law in a care home...he got the flu and pneumonia , and we instructed the home to not send him to hospital...he died a couple of weeks later. We didn't want him to go through the distress of going to hospital...and it was the right decision....
    You know Tyson my sister wanted to pass in her bed in her nursing home and signed a DNR. The day came when she was dying and the nurse phoned for the doctor to be told the surgery was closed for training, no emergency number was left

The nurse then phoned for an ambulance and when the crew arrived I said she had a dnr and did not want to die in hospital. They said they needed a doctor and we could not get one. The paramedics then asked whether I wanted her to go with them to hospital or to leave her. Now at a time your sister is dying in front of you, and suffering, you are asked to be the one to decide, and as I could not let her continue suffering, I agreed for her to go to hospital

When I arrived in A & E about 20 minutes after the ambulance I was shown to my sister's bedside and the doctor said all treatment was withdrawn and only palliative care adminstered. He said he did not expect her to survive the night

After 5 hours she died and I was then told I would be interviewed by the police because my sister had died in A & E and the police required me to formally identify her body. This I did and after the police interview I went home utterly drained emotionally and physically

That's a tough experience Big G.....

I remember the pressure my wife was under about her dad to get him in into hospital.....I just backed her up not to let him go...but the emotions of those moments are immense
  • Options
    RobD said:

Given they are the responsibility of the UK government, surely they have to help them?

And we must be talking a tiny amount. What's the population of the overseas territories anyway?
    0.1% of the UK....

No grievance how trivial....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Speaks a man who fled the city for a Welsh bunker, expecting others to take it on the chin.
    I’m doing what the government told me to do, not get sick, avoid others. Drink expensive wines and eat too much excellent salami. Have kinky quarantine sex. Etc
    Good to hear that your wife gives you some time to yourself.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I’m doing what the government told me to do, not get sick, avoid others. Drink expensive wines and eat too much excellent salami. Have kinky quarantine sex. Etc
    So that's where all the NHS' PPE got to. :neutral:
  • Options

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

"A far away people of whom we know nothing..."
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Germany and Norway seem to have done best through mass testing.

Until we get testing and tracing greatly expanded we cannot seriously ease off the lockdown
    Hallelujah....it's a miracle....Hyfud...I agree with you like a 100 gazillion percent...

• Options
    eadric said:

...and hundreds/thousands of elderly people are allegedly dying in care homes of Covid-19 (Guardian).
    Tens of thousands of old people are dying in care homes across Europe. In Spain so many are dying the army had to collect the corpses.

Sweden is no better than anywhere else, but, importantly, it is not obviously, massively worse. And they have spared their economy the horrors of total shutdown
    Well blow me down. Six weeks ago you were calling for all kinds of draconian measures to keep you free of Covid-19. And here you are from the safety of your Cosmeston Lakes yurt demanding the rest of us go back to work.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    If anyone is in the south of England go outside and you can see dozens of satellites flying over
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

A brave man dies but once, a coward a thousand times.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Words are cheap. By taking it on the chin are you arguing that the UK should have let the virus exceed NHS capacity?
    Words are cheap and i sit here drinking amarone, safe in my Penarth loft, but yes - im coming to think a combination of a beefed up NHS (the nightingale capacity) with a lighter Swedish lockdown might have been better.
    It wasn’t possible in wave 1. We weren’t ready. Wave 2 will have a lighter lockdown
  • Options

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

Beats a front page splash about how the evil English NHS is stealing all of its own PPE to give to England.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I reckon so
  • Options

If anyone is in the south of England go outside and you can see dozens of satellites flying over

Perhaps Coronavirus was sent by space aliens prior to an invasion of Earth.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Claim - ‘This was despite the publication that day of an alarming study by Chinese doctors in the medical journal The Lancet. It assessed the lethal potential of the virus, for the first time suggesting it was comparable to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed up to 50 million people.'

Response - The editor of the Lancet, on exactly the same day – 23 January - called for “caution” and accused the media of ‘escalating anxiety by talking of a ‘killer virus’ and ‘growing fears’. He wrote: ‘In truth, from what we currently know, 2019-nCoV has moderate transmissibility and relatively low pathogenicity. There is no reason to foster panic with exaggerated language.’ The Sunday Times is suggesting that there was a scientific consensus around the fact that this was going to be a pandemic – that is plainly untrue.

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/04/19/response-to-sunday-times-insight-article/

Good for them. The editor of the lancet is a great big hairy twat of a hypocrite
    And publisher of Wakefield's MMR lies for 12 years. How many did that kill?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Well you must be close to the grave, given that your first reaction to the true onset of coronavirus was to go down with a fake dose of the bug, allowing you to hide at home and do some gardening for a fortnight. And then you tested negative. Lol
    I isolated for a week, and was indeed ill, though perhaps not with Covid. Now back at work, indeed volunteering to be the assessor of a covid patient today, wearing just mask, polythene apron and gloves.

We all act according to our conscience, if we have one.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited April 2020
    Re NYC stats. Need to be a bit careful. There is actually something like 21 million in the NYC metro area (plus all the undocumented). Deaths across that is about 13k.

Then 0.1% claim is nonsense, the eggheads have said they think more like 1%. Also, that is if you healthcare system doesn't crash, which NY has.

We aren't going to be shocked though if we find the rate of infection in NY is among the highest in the world.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

eadric said:

...and hundreds/thousands of elderly people are allegedly dying in care homes of Covid-19 (Guardian).
    Tens of thousands of old people are dying in care homes across Europe. In Spain so many are dying the army had to collect the corpses.

Sweden is no better than anywhere else, but, importantly, it is not obviously, massively worse. And they have spared their economy the horrors of total shutdown
    Well blow me down. Six weeks ago you were calling for all kinds of draconian measures to keep you free of Covid-19. And here you are from the safety of your Cosmeston Lakes yurt demanding the rest of us go back to work.
    It is human nature. First comes the terror of death. The desire to flee, to hunker down, to cry out for something to save us.

Then, more slowly, comes the realisation. Help is not coming. A vaccine is at least twelve, maybe eighteen, maybe many more months away.

By that time the economy will have crashed. The tax base reduced to cinders. No money to pay for our precious NHS. No money to pay for food. No roof over our head.

And the rational part of the brain starts to realise that there is no alternative. The lockdown bought us a little time to increase NHS capacity, to find better treatment drugs, to reduce deaths wherever possible.

But now the ugly grim truth descends. We must go back to work. Some people will catch this and a small number of them will die. But that is life.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Well you must be close to the grave, given that your first reaction to the true onset of coronavirus was to go down with a fake dose of the bug, allowing you to hide at home and do some gardening for a fortnight. And then you tested negative. Lol
    Are you trying for scumbag of the week or something?
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Yep. I’ve had enough of Shirking Britain. I can’t write my corona memoirs til the rest of you are shucking my oysters again.

Stop faffing. Enough now. I want the seafood bars open
    South East Wales is a culinary desert, however Penarth bucks the trend. When you are finally 'out' Mint and Mustard is probably the best up market curry house in Wales. For an excellent value Portuguese menu El Puerto, on the Penarth side of the Cardiff Barage is my favourite eatery anywhere in Wales. And if you want to splash the cash Michelin starred James Sommerin, on the front is sublime.
  • Options

It is truly amazing to watch
  • Options

Is Orson Wells doing the commentary by chance?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Words are cheap and i sit here drinking amarone, safe in my Penarth loft, but yes - im coming to think a combination of a beefed up NHS (the nightingale capacity) with a lighter Swedish lockdown might have been better.
    It wasn’t possible in wave 1. We weren’t ready. Wave 2 will have a lighter lockdown
    HYUFD is right. Testing is the key. Test and trace, test and trace.
    I bloody hope the government have some people working on the tech required to "trace". Even with this voluntery app, the government needs to know instantly who to call to a testing centre next. That requires tech, as you need to prioritize certain people from the cohort that came close to a new infection. Doing this manually takes too long. Indentification, test and result needs to be completed within 24hrs.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

It's funny how international solidarity goes, when the chips are down.

Who would have thought that a Conservative government would be being criticised for sending medical aid to other countries?

As philosopher and eccentric Lord John Whorfin observed -

"History is made at night. Character is what you are in the dark."
  • Options

The Martians have learnt from War of the Worlds Part 1.

For Part 2, they've sent the virus ahead of the invasion fleet...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

Who would have thought that a Conservative government would be being criticised for sending medical aid to other countries?

Most of us here on PB are characters whatever the lighting conditions.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I presume I win it by default most weeks.

I’m just bored of foxy flashing his moral superiority at the rest of us like some raddled old hooker on the Bois de Boulogne, flourishing her withered dugs. Enough. I get it. He’s a doctor. Well done.

Now put it away.
    He's put stake in this game. You haven't. Endex.
  • Options

Well it’s the first time in my life that I have seen anything like it
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

The headline annoys me. The fact it is a tax haven is almost irrelevant, as the people dying there are ordinary folk, just like everywhere. It should really say "UK PPE earmarked for UK territory"
  • Options

You'll be seeing much more of it in the future. I think they want thousands of these things up in the sky.
  • Options

eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I bloody hope the government have some people working on the tech required to "trace". Even with this voluntery app, the government needs to know instantly who to call to a testing centre next. That requires tech, as you need to prioritize certain people from the cohort that came close to a new infection. Doing this manually takes too long. Indentification, test and result needs to be completed within 24hrs.
    My understanding was that PHE actually did an excellent job on the tracing whilst it was still a thing, and before we just gave up with a shrug and a "yeah, whatever..."
  • Options

eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

My understanding was that PHE actually did an excellent job on the tracing whilst it was still a thing, and before we just gave up with a shrug and a "yeah, whatever..."
    They did, but they were always fighting a losing battle. If you want to keep things to Souk Korean levels, you can't do this manually, it takes too long.
  • Options

Are they the Spacex thingies?
  • Options

eadric said:

Good for them. The editor of the lancet is a great big hairy twat of a hypocrite
    And publisher of Wakefield's MMR lies for 12 years. How many did that kill?
    He changed his mind fairly quickly in January, take this for example:

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1221051729317453826?s=19

Or this:

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1223261774369128449?s=09

And I am sure our lockdown sceptics approve of this line that he retweeted on 30 Jan:

https://twitter.com/JenniferNuzzo/status/1222892226784530432?s=09
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    excellent. cheers.

Daily repost: the Government's attempts to conduct #ToryGenocie are hindered by their making all evidence open source.
  • Options

I would guess so, yeah.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Yep. I’ve had enough of Shirking Britain. I can’t write my corona memoirs til the rest of you are shucking my oysters again.

South East Wales is a culinary desert, however Penarth bucks the trend. When you are finally 'out' Mint and Mustard is probably the best up market curry house in Wales. For an excellent value Portuguese menu El Puerto, on the Penarth side of the Cardiff Barage is my favourite eatery anywhere in Wales. And if you want to splash the cash Michelin starred James Sommerin, on the front is sublime.
    Curries here are excellent. I have a theory that curry houses are often a better in the provinces than they are in the metropolis.

I’ve heard james Sommerin is fab. Sadly he’s not even doing takeaway any more but it’s first on the list when the culinary world recrudesces

And thanks for the Portuguese pointer. Will try!
    El Puerto is just really good value. Only a little more expensive than more up market pub fare, but head and shoulders better. Most pubs in South Wales by contrast are expensive, add water and stir joints that serve vomit.

You won't be disappointed by Sommerin either, excellent!
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I’m just bored of foxy flashing his moral superiority at the rest of us like some raddled old hooker on the Bois de Boulogne, flourishing her withered dugs. Enough. I get it. He’s a doctor. Well done.

Now put it away.
    It doesn’t occur to you that I might have family members, that I love dearly, severely menaced by this disease, right this minute?

It’s a plague. It fucks with everyone. That’s what plagues do
    We all have that.

Go visit a hospital. Do some reporting. Get some atmosphere for the next book.

Maybe you will write something to equal this -

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

The headline annoys me. The fact it is a tax haven is almost irrelevant, as the people dying there are ordinary folk, just like everywhere. It should really say "UK PPE earmarked for UK territory"
    The people dying there are mostly quite poor, as well. But hey, they have a bit of suntan, so they are expendable?
  • Options

Yes - Elon Musk has turned the world upside down again. Launching 60 satellites of this size and capacity on a single rocket was impossible. Then SpaceX did it.

This is for Starlink - LEO satellite internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink
  • Options

this is really forensically done as well. should perhaps not be hiding on a gov.uk website
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Curries here are excellent. I have a theory that curry houses are often a
    better in the provinces than they are in the metropolis.

I’ve heard james Sommerin is fab. Sadly he’s not even doing takeaway any more but it’s first on the list when the culinary world recrudesces

And thanks for the Portuguese pointer. Will try!
    For steak, try Asador in Cardiff right by the Millennium Stadium. When it’s open, in the future.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I would guess so, yeah.
    I've just seen a video of them over Colorado. It looks surreal. If I'd seen that without knowing about Starlink, I'd have shat my pants!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:
    Yes capacity being overran as occured in Wuhan, Italy and New York was a real concern. It hasn't happened in this country though - so seems an odd thing to criticise our government's response for?
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Now put it away.
    It doesn’t occur to you that I might have family members, that I love dearly, severely menaced by this disease, right this minute?

It’s a plague. It fucks with everyone. That’s what plagues do
    We all have that.

Go visit a hospital. Do some reporting. Get some atmosphere for the next book.

Maybe you will write something to equal this -

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

The people dying there are mostly quite poor, as well. But hey, they have a bit of suntan, so they are expendable?
    That’s dreadful, wearied overwriting. Who wrote it? I’m intrigued by its awfulness, and by the fact you admire it

Hahaha: found it. Theodore Roosevelt.
    The difference between you and him is that he'd actually done something. Risked his life for his beliefs and ideas.

Yes, it sounds hackneyed and over-wrought - but, as George MacDonald Fraser pointed out, words spoken by the those who have actually risked their lives often do...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

It was even more stupid than that. This morning you could hear a story criticising medical aid being sent to China, apparently this is bad, followed by a story about Turkey sending medical aid to us, apparently this is good.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

Except all the SeanT's
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

I isolated for a week, and was indeed ill, though perhaps not with Covid. Now back at work, indeed volunteering to be the assessor of a covid patient today, wearing just mask, polythene apron and gloves.

We all act according to our conscience, if we have one.
    Good man, doing your job. I shall clap for you on Thursday, in between sips of Barolo
    I hope you enjoy the wine. I am rather fond of Barolo.

• Options

eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

this was explained at the time, at the press conference when we moved from contain to delay :absolute case numbers crossed a threshold while too many 'unexplained' clusters were popping up. It would be ineffective use of resources. When/if the numbers fall below a certain level, I fully expect this approach to be revisited.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-government-announces-moving-out-of-contain-phase-and-into-delay

ALSO
    "In the coming weeks, we will be introducing further social distancing measures for older and vulnerable people, asking them to self-isolate regardless of symptoms.
    If we introduce this next stage too early, the measures will not protect us at the time of greatest risk but could have a huge social impact. We need to time this properly, continue to do the right thing at the right time, so we get the maximum effect for delaying the virus. We will clearly announce when we ask the public to move to this next stage."

I had a hollow laugh at that last bit. State of the some of the opinions on here.

• Options
    glw said:

It was even more stupid than that. This morning you could hear a story criticising medical aid being sent to China, apparently this is bad, followed by a story about Turkey sending medical aid to us, apparently this is good.
    And no commentary on the French nicking the stuff we paid for. ;)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Says the man who claimed to have coronavirus on Feb 3rd before feeling London to share his contamination with the unsuspecting residents of Penarth! :lol:
  • Options

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Says the man who claimed to have coronavirus on Feb 3rd before feeling London to share his contamination with the unsuspecting residents of Penarth! :lol:
    Didn't his prior incarnation already have coronavirus in January too?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

0.1% of the UK....

Except all the SeanT's
    They are more characters than most!
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Yes capacity being overran as occured in Wuhan, Italy and New York was a real concern. It hasn't happened in this country though - so seems an odd thing to criticise our government's response for?
    The tweet is dated Jan 25th.

It coincided with the Jan 24th edition of The Lancet, Britain's top medical journal. This contained several articles on the subject.

Yet somehow it seems the government advisors were unaware until March that there was a risk of overloading the system if the disease got established here.

The evidence was out there. The ridiculous "the science changed" line is absurd.
  • Options
    RobD said:

glw said:

On the Chinese aid vs medical aid from Turkey...

Captain Darling : So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshall Haig is most anxious to eliminate all these German spies.
    General Melchett : Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!
    Captain Darling : And fortunately, one of our spies...
    General Melchett : Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!
  • Options

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Feeling the whole of London was surely a feat too far - even for our SeanT?
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    RobD said:

glw said:

Have you got a link?
  • Options

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Feeling the whole of London was surely a feat too far - even for our SeanT?
    Haha yes indeed. Fat fingers again!
  • Options

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

Didn't his prior incarnation already have coronavirus in January too?

Maybe he fled London to avoid being the subject of research studies, his medical history being so remarkable and all that.
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

Have you got a link?
    twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1251796389413208065
  • Options

eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

He’s right tho, is dom.

this was explained at the time, at the press conference when we moved from contain to delay :absolute case numbers crossed a threshold while too many 'unexplained' clusters were popping up. It would be ineffective use of resources. When/if the numbers fall below a certain level, I fully expect this approach to be revisited.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-government-announces-moving-out-of-contain-phase-and-into-delay

ALSO
    "In the coming weeks, we will be introducing further social distancing measures for older and vulnerable people, asking them to self-isolate regardless of symptoms.
    If we introduce this next stage too early, the measures will not protect us at the time of greatest risk but could have a huge social impact. We need to time this properly, continue to do the right thing at the right time, so we get the maximum effect for delaying the virus. We will clearly announce when we ask the public to move to this next stage."

I had a hollow laugh at that last bit. State of the some of the opinions on here.

I think the March 11th decision to no longer test apparant cases was one of the major mistakes. Diagnosis and testing are crucial to quarantining the right people, even if resources are not there to trace all their contacts.

It was the same mistake in America, where the rules restricting testing were ridiculously exclusive, even when sustained transmission was happening.

Testing, and quarantining is the only short term way of relaxing the lockdown. Transmission within restrictive spaces whether household, care home, aircraft carrier, church or ski chalet is where it happens.

While there will be some asymptomatic superspreaders, quarantining known cases will greatly reduce transmission, getting that R number right down.

Our national policy of not seeing, or confirming cases until they are desperately sick is throwing petrol on the fire.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Spains death figure today seems quite the spike - anyone have any ideas why that might be?

Spain 198,674 +4,258 21,238 +1,195

1,195 new deaths last 24 hours according to worldometers
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    'So I can't see how people can be in packed pubs again as long as this virus is still with us and we don't have a vaccine or an effective treatment.'

(Irish health minister)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8234615/Ireland-pubs-bars-sports-venues-closed-coronavirus-vaccine.html
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:
    The tweet is dated Jan 25th.

It coincided with the Jan 24th edition of The Lancet, Britain's top medical journal. This contained several articles on the subject.

Yet somehow it seems the government advisors were unaware until March that there was a risk of overloading the system if the disease got established here.

The evidence was out there. The ridiculous "the science changed" line is absurd.
    Yes the Tweet is dated Jan 25th and the government initiated a plan and advised in the future there might be a lockdown if required to prevent the NHS capacity being overran, but it was a later stage in the plan and not required at the time. Horton himself retweeted later in January that a lockdown at the time would be a bad idea.

Later in March they implemented that pre-announced plan when it became judged likely that the NHS would be overloaded without one.

In January, February, March and April to date the NHS has not been overloaded.

Seems like they've addressed Horton's concerns in that Tweet appropriately have they not? Or are you saying the NHS was overloaded and if so when and where?
This discussion has been closed.