Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study finds Brits struggling under the lockdown although 8

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study finds Brits struggling under the lockdown although 89% back the measures

The Standard is reporting a new study by Kings College London and Ipsos-MORI on how the public is coping with the lockdown restrictions. Overall there was strong, 89%, backing but a numbers of possible health issues were highlighted. In particular the study found:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First. I'd say those figures are pretty good for the government.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Does anybody else have the feeling that the laws of physics are trying to tell us something?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    At first reading I thought 22pc with financial worries is better than I would have guessed. But if you strip out pensioners, public sector workers and students who probably arent affected much financially that probably equates to maybe a third of the rest of us.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Does anybody else have the feeling that the laws of physics are trying to tell us something?

Well you cannae change them.
    (For clarity that was meant to be Scottie from Star Trek. Not an excuse for anyone to wobble on about Hannibal).
  • Options

Toms said:

(For clarity that was meant to be Scottie from Star Trek. Not an excuse for anyone to wobble on about Hannibal).
    This goes deep to the question of free will.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    ‘35% said they were eating more or less healthy food than normal’

That seems a weird finding. Why that particular phrasing?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I had to reread that one. I took it to mean they were either eating more food and/or eating less-healthy food.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

At first reading I thought 22pc with financial worries is better than I would have guessed. But if you strip out pensioners, public sector workers and students who probably arent affected much financially that probably equates to maybe a third of the rest of us.

There was a survey I saw before the CV-19 kicked off, where a quarter of Brits have less than a £100 savings. So I could see you getting to close on half of Brits with no savings at all by June.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I had to reread that one. I took it to mean they were either eating more food and/or eating less-healthy food.
    Ah, that now makes sense.

Where are @TSE and an Oxford comma when you need them?
  • Options
    Of those questions I think I'd answer yes to the eating and arguing but not the others.
    My pension pot has taken a hit but retirement is far enough away for that to not feel so real. And there might be redundancies but hopefully not me.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    I'm in the top 19%. I think. At least I've bought more booze over the past few days, just to be sure. Should be stocked up now for quite a while.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. York, when it comes to discussing Hannibal: we will find a way, or make one.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. York, when it comes to discussing Hannibal: we will find a way, or make one.

Oh no. It always leaves my mind in a Heyes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited April 2020

Good morning, everyone.

Oh no. It always leaves my mind in a Heyes.
    Deleted (its too early in the morning)
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 591
    I don't know if this counts as advertising but hubby and I have been drinking Twinning's Sleep herbal tea at night and find this improves our sleep quite a lot.
    I haven't been drinking more alcohol because I gave up booze for Lent (I've had a couple of lapses but so far I've been pretty good) But I am really looking forward to a g+t pre-Sunday lunch. Preferably in the garden but the weather forecast doesn't look too brilliant.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    If i was answering that survey I would say that i dont really support the level of lockdown, am more sad (rather than depressed) , having less sleep (although this may just be the hot weather) , food ok, financial worries ok (although pension taken a hammering and do worry for the country and people as a whole), booze ok ,argung (apart from on here!) ok
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2020
    Incredible stuff in Georgia. A minor error but still gob smacking it could slip through..
    https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1248415752807272455?s=19
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

Good morning, everyone.

Mountains wouldn’t stand in your way.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    fox327 said:

If the economy tanks sufficiently pensions will have to be cut, public sector workers will be laid off, and landlords will have to reduce rents or be stuck with tenants who are unemployed and can't pay the rent. Everyone will be affected including those who think they are on a "fixed" income.
    thank you for those optimistic thoughts.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Lads, I think Florida might be in play in November
    https://twitter.com/KevinCate/status/1248365705503932420?s=19
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Oh dear - Starmer has lost the plot already

https://twitter.com/nazshahbfd/status/1248303093344763904?s=21
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    On the one hand: The two things I promised myself when this all became obvious was to

(a) exercise more
    (b) spend less
    (c) drink less
    (d) eat better

I've got ca. 3-4 hours extra a day, (b) and (c) are inter-related because pubs and restaurants are closed and as I've got to cook, I might as well make the most of it.

A decent chunk of my mates have approached the shutdown in the same way.

On the other: such effects, as reported in the data above, were always going to happen. There will be a point where they may get too much for some people.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

I don't know if this counts as advertising but hubby and I have been drinking Twinning's Sleep herbal tea at night and find this improves our sleep quite a lot.
    I haven't been drinking more alcohol because I gave up booze for Lent (I've had a couple of lapses but so far I've been pretty good) But I am really looking forward to a g+t pre-Sunday lunch. Preferably in the garden but the weather forecast doesn't look too brilliant.

Friday morning is pre-Sunday lunch. 😉
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TGOHF666 said:

I thought Starmer was supposed to be expelling the antisemites not promoting them?

Plus ca change ...
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    I'm trying but failing to see a way out of lockdown (or similar) anytime soon, without accepting a much higher death toll. This virus took 3-4 months to move from a single city in China to causing thousands of deaths daily across different continents, with most of the world on lockdown. Even if cases fall, as in Italy/Spain, the virus will still have a much stronger footing to restart in most countries than it did last time.

I can only see two sustainable ways out:

1) For restrictions to be loosened/tightened according to NHS capacity. That means we will have lots more deaths, but gradually build up herd immunity.
    2) A vaccine, offering a relatively quick route to herd immunity, but we won't be seeing that until 2021 at the latest.

Of course, there are other potential outcomes, such as people don't get long-term immunity from having the virus (very bad); or it does give immunity and there are far more asymptomatic cases than we thought (very good).

From a personal perspective, my wife and I have broadly accepted that the lockdown is for the long-haul and so are planning accordingly with deliveries. Having a 3 week old baby means we're erring on the side of caution and avoiding physical shops as much as possible.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    TGOHF666 said:

“Hey, Sir Keir (What the Hell’s Got into You)”

(Has this been done? I’ll get my coat)
  • Options
    Ratters said:

I'm trying but failing to see a way out of lockdown (or similar) anytime soon, without accepting a much higher death toll. This virus took 3-4 months to move from a single city in China to causing thousands of deaths daily across different continents, with most of the world on lockdown. Even if cases fall, as in Italy/Spain, the virus will still have a much stronger footing to restart in most countries than it did last time.

1) For restrictions to be loosened/tightened according to NHS capacity. That means we will have lots more deaths, but gradually build up herd immunity.
    2) A vaccine, offering a relatively quick route to herd immunity, but we won't be seeing that until 2021 at the latest.

Of course, there are other potential outcomes, such as people don't get long-term immunity from having the virus (very bad); or it does give immunity and there are far more asymptomatic cases than we thought (very good).

From a personal perspective, my wife and I have broadly accepted that the lockdown is for the long-haul and so are planning accordingly with deliveries. Having a 3 week old baby means we're erring on the side of caution and avoiding physical shops as much as possible.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/09/world/lockdown-lift-vaccine-coronavirus-lancet-intl/index.html
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Toms said:

Toms said:

WTF are you talking about Toms, give us it in plain English
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TGOHF666 said:

Looks like he is a bigger fruitcake than Corbyn
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

TGOHF666 said:

I thought Starmer was supposed to be expelling the antisemites not promoting them?

Plus ca change ...
    To be honest, if it's fine for her to be a Labour MP, it's fine for her to be a shadow minister.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Sleep, diet, etc. all normal. I only drink (one) on Taranto Night anyway. There is a certain amount of marital strife as Mrs DA is home all day. I tried to win a YouTube driveway stay-at-home burnout competition and blew up the turbo in the E46. She went fucking mad about that. The drive, not the turbo.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Dura_Ace said:

Sleep, diet, etc. all normal. I only drink (one) on Taranto Night anyway. There is a certain amount of marital strife as Mrs DA is home all day. I tried to win a YouTube driveway stay-at-home burnout competition and blew up the turbo in the E46. She went fucking mad about that. The drive, not the turbo.

Hard to think why...

• Options

TGOHF666 said:

Plus ca change ...
    He's not promoting the anti-semites, just the ignorant. How very inclusive of him.

First mis-step.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36802075
  • Options
    Thinking about Robert Jenrick's 'faux pas', Grandson 1 drove 40 miles yesterday to bring us a supermarket order. Does it about every 10 days. He puts the shopping on the front doorstep, then comes round and stands outside a window and we chat.
    Don't want to discourage him, but should we?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited April 2020
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Plus ca change ...
    To be honest, if it's fine for her to be a Labour MP, it's fine for her to be a shadow minister.
    I think she claims to be reformed and remorseful for her earlier stupidity. He has bigger problems currently with councillors and union officials exposing the nasty underbelly which appears to pervade much of the membership. There are also quite a few extraordiarily unpleasant MPs lie Bell Ribheiro yesterday, Sultana and many others all of whom have great potential for embarrassment. It's very early days and so far unclear where he will end up pitching the party along the political spectrum. There's also Momentum - in a bug mess right now but.....
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Plus ca change ...
    He's not promoting the anti-semites, just the ignorant. How very inclusive of him.

First mis-step.

Surely it should be difficult for supporters of a Government which includes the likes of Priti Patel and Nadine Dorries to throw stones?
  • Options

Thinking about Robert Jenrick's 'faux pas', Grandson 1 drove 40 miles yesterday to bring us a supermarket order. Does it about every 10 days. He puts the shopping on the front doorstep, then comes round and stands outside a window and we chat.

No.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    The doctors/epidemiologists advising the government have effectively ruled 1)
    IanB2 said:

Ratters said:

https://edition.cnn.com/20,20/04/09/world/lockdown-lift-vaccine-coronavirus-lancet-intl/index.html
    The doctors/epidemiologists advising the government have effectively ruled 1) out. The restrictions will continue until cases have been reduced to a very low level. The restrictions will then be slightly loosened until cases rise again when the restrictions will be reimposed. There will never be enough cases for herd immunity to be reached. The only other scenario the doctors will accept for restrictions to be lifted is if a vaccine is available that enables herd immunity to be reached. No doctor will admit this.

See Question Time last night when the epidemiologist was asked what was required for the lockdown to be lifted, and he did not answer the question. The doctors are running the country, and the elected politicians are taking orders from them. If this continues and no vaccine is found the lockdown could last more than 50 years.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

In a nutshell, from a dictionary, free will is

"the doctrine that the conduct of human beings expresses personal choice and is not simply determined by physical or divine forces."

So, are we, to some extent at least, responsible for the state of things, or shall we be merry for some day we will die?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Plus ca change ...
    I think she claims to be reformed and remorseful for her earlier stupidity. He has bigger problems currently with councillors and union officials exposing the nasty underbelly which appears to pervade much of the membership. There are also quite a few extraordiarily unpleasant MPs lie Bell Ribheiro yesterday, Sultana and many others all of whom have great potential for embarrassment. It's very early days and so far unclear where he will end up pitching the party along the political spectrum. There's also Momentum - in a bug mess right now but.....
    If Starmer tries to bin Momentum & the Dirlewanger Brigade en-mass, he might achieve a walkout. Which would put a massive dent in the Labour Party.

If is he is sensible, which he appears to be, doing things on a case by case basis would be a more effective approach. Showing mercy to the repentant would also be part of this.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited April 2020

On the one hand: The two things I promised myself when this all became obvious was to

(a) exercise more
    (b) spend less
    (c) drink less
    (d) eat better

I've got ca. 3-4 hours extra a day, (b) and (c) are inter-related because pubs and restaurants are closed and as I've got to cook, I might as well make the most of it.

On the other: such effects, as reported in the data above, were always going to happen. There will be a point where they may get too much for some people.

One of my mates, who works in the City, is probably getting a real terms pay rise of about 15-20k pa by working from home. No £500 rail fair is equivalent to £10k pay rise, no £4 coffee at the station, no London prices at lunch time, no beers after work, in time he will save on suits, shoes etc too
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    DougSeal said:

TGOHF666 said:

I did it... like your thinking 👍🏻
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Hard to think why...

I entered into mitigation the fact that it had not caught fire. The high pressure oil line came off the turbo when the hot side let go so it could have easily gone up in mushroom cloud. The Bloody Assizes were not inclined to clemency however.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    fox327 said:

IanB2 said:

Ratters said:

https://edition.cnn.com/20,20/04/09/world/lockdown-lift-vaccine-coronavirus-lancet-intl/index.html
    The doctors/epidemiologists advising the government have effectively ruled 1) out. The restrictions will continue until cases have been reduced to a very low level. The restrictions will then be slightly loosened until cases rise again when the restrictions will be reimposed. There will never be enough cases for herd immunity to be reached. The only other scenario the doctors will accept for restrictions to be lifted is if a vaccine is available that enables herd immunity to be reached. No doctor will admit this.

See Question Time last night when the epidemiologist was asked what was required for the lockdown to be lifted, and he did not answer the question. The doctors are running the country, and the elected politicians are taking orders from them. If this continues and no vaccine is found the lockdown could last more than 50 years.
    There seems to be a school of thought that as soon as the daily death toll passes its peak we can start to loosen restrictions. That just reflects complete scientific illiteracy.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Plus ca change ...

First mis-step.

Surely it should be difficult for supporters of a Government which includes the likes of Priti Patel and Nadine Dorries to throw stones?
    Nonsense.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

If i was answering that survey I would say that i dont really support the level of lockdown, am more sad (rather than depressed) , having less sleep (although this may just be the hot weather) , food ok, financial worries ok (although pension taken a hammering and do worry for the country and people as a whole), booze ok ,argung (apart from on here!) ok

Not weather?! Jeezo, that goes to show the weather variations in a small(ish) island. Centra! heating still burning up £s here.
  • Options
    Toms said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

"the doctrine that the conduct of human beings expresses personal choice and is not simply determined by physical or divine forces."

So, are we, to some extent at least, responsible for the state of things, or shall we be merry for some day we will die?
    Now (having just baked four lovely loaves of glutin-free bread) for a turbo-trainer session, trying to stave off decrepitudiness old age. The watt meter doesn't lie.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576

No. Sounds like you are all keeping well within the guidelines. In any case you’re unlikely to be the victim of a feeble Mail “Gotcha!”.
  • Options
    Query for PBers who are obliged to use their cars during the crisis.

Traffic is virtually non-existent in my little town of Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, and I notice that even those cars on the road are travelling much slower than usual. Anyone else noticing this?

I haven't been on the motorway since it all started but my guess is that even there people are sticking to the limits. Observations anyone?
  • Options
    Toms said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

While a bit of metaphysics and theology is always welcome on Good Friday, I cannot see why this is connected to Scotty of Star Trek.

My point of view is that we probably do not have Free Will, but that people like to believe that they do, and so act accordingly. They then interpret their predestined actions as acts of Free Will.

Perhaps if @Dura_Ace were to explain his driveway antics to Mrs DA in this way she would forgive him. Or possibly hit him with the rolling pin, depending on what she was predestined to do...
  • Options
    isam said:

(a) exercise more
    (b) spend less
    (c) drink less
    (d) eat better

One of my mates, who works in the City, is probably getting a real terms pay rise of about 15-20k pa by working from home. No £500 rail fair is equivalent to £10k pay rise, no £4 coffee at the station, no London prices at lunch time, no beers after work, in time he will save on suits, shoes etc too
    It is very rare that an ill wind hurts everyone. I have a mixture of effects so far. Some losses on investments [ only realised of course if I sell so potentially recoverable. Income from pensons currently unchanged - may be more tax to pay at some point down the line. Currently big savings on eating out [ normally 2/3 times a week], tons on discretionary shopping [even allowing a few online purchases at this time of year I normally spend quite a bit on the long warm weather wardrobe!], tons on petrol and round €6000 alone on the cruise we would have booked by now. I know I'm very lucky but I won't be alone in these kind of savings. Given the climate and cost of livingof SE Spain the extra bills from living at home will be tiny. No heating on ATTOY - other electricity usage minimal.
  • Options
    Surprise Surprise, as I said yesterday , Tories filling their boots.
    THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m
    Hearing that none of the SNP Mps took the £10,000 offered to them for working at home. Jeremy Corbyn also refused.
    The Only Tory not to take it was surprisingly Jacob Rees Mogg
    Thank you to my source I am sure this will clarified shortly
  • Options

Not unless you can get someone else to do it for you
  • Options

Traffic is virtually non-existent in my little town of Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, and I notice that even those cars on the road are travelling much slower than usual. Anyone else noticing this?

I haven't been on the motorway since it all started but my guess is that even there people are sticking to the limits. Observations anyone?

I’d guess the NHS being under such pressure, the thought that treatment might not be readily available, has an effect on people’s attitude to risk and safety
  • Options

There was an article recently that there has been a surge in speeding convictions, including some well into three figures on major motorways
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Plus ca change ...
    Indeed and I don't think it's fine for her to be an MP.

Certainly not someone who should be getting promoted. And to put an antisemite in charge of "community cohesion" is adding salt to the wound.

Starmer should be trying to be cleaner than clean on this topic until a line is drawn under the sand and can move on. Not start by promoting one of those whose name is associated with the problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

There were very few private cars on the M6 when I cycled over it* last Wednesday. The lorries were moving along at about normal pace so far as I could judge.

*on a bridge.
  • Options

Not weather?! Jeezo, that goes to show the weather variations in a small(ish) island. Centra! heating still burning up £s here.

22 here today, 25 tmrw, 22 Sunday... 11 Monday & Tuesday
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Foxy said:

Toms said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

While a bit of metaphysics and theology is always welcome on Good Friday, I cannot see why this is connected to Scotty of Star Trek.

My point of view is that we probably do not have Free Will, but that people like to believe that they do, and so act accordingly. They then interpret their predestined actions as acts of Free Will.

Perhaps if @Dura_Ace were to explain his driveway antics to Mrs DA in this way she would forgive him. Or possibly hit him with the rolling pin, depending on what she was predestined to do...
    I am no longer a big believer in predestination. I do believe in what we believe coming true though. I think many mistake the two. They say 'I knew that would happen'. But many would argue 'they knew it - therefore it happened.'
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m
    Hearing that none of the SNP Mps took the £10,000 offered to them for working at home. Jeremy Corbyn also refused.

No source. Smells like bovine manure.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Ratters said:

I suspect it may be that the lockdown will be maintained but it will increasingly be a struggle to get everyone to observe it. There seems to be some indication of an increase in numbers in Italy and Spain at the moment.

So the virus will continue to spread, making it impossible to lift the lockdown, and so on. I can see it rumbling on like that for a few months, and it seems feasible we could get to herd immunity in some places (e.g. inner London) and in some sections of the population.
  • Options

(a) exercise more
    (b) spend less
    (c) drink less
    (d) eat better

Similar here. But this goes to the issue of peoples personalities, education & beliefs as well as their financial situation.

This site after all tends to filter towards those who analyse a situation and optimise the outcome. Even against their feelings.

To a non-trivial portion of the population, this kind of behaviour is wrong. Evil even. Evidence that you are a "Clinical Psychopath" - to use a popular, ridiculous, bar-room diagnosis.

I recall a discussion of the Cold Equations with a disparate group. To a number, adapting to the situation - optimising the outcome to save the maximum number of lives - was an evil decision. They concentrated on the horror of having to make a decision at all - and refused to make a choice.

A while back, on TV, there was a war-gaming of terrorist incident(s) in London, with various popular figures playing the government. What was interesting was the number who refused to make decisions, for similar reasons.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Foxy said:

Toms said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

If Foxy is correct it is mere chance that this is so for his opinion now was decided before he was born by laws of physics outside his or anyone's control. Which is why so many people think that, whatever the science opinion, there is more to be said about free will.

• Options
    Toms said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

Thanks Toms, I was merely kidding but good explanation
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Driving faster around my part of the world, particularly delivery drivers, I maybe noticing it more as I am on my bike more. North Lancs, South Cumbria.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

There was an article recently that there has been a surge in speeding convictions, including some well into three figures on major motorways
    Doesn't surprise me. There's a speed camera outside my local Aldi on the way into town. It's just after where the speed limit drops from 40 to 30 but trying to drive through the traffic there normally any faster than 20 is nigh on impossible. With the clear roads now though it's very easy to approach that camera at 40.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    My number one Covid-19 objective is not to contribute to herd immunity. I'm more determined than anxious. I would definitely be anxious if one of my close circle goes down.

Having to do meal planning to reduce the shopping visits. Used to shopping for the next meal.

Lucky to have a good marriage. One of the few upsides of this virus has been the enforced time and proximity with loved ones. Feel for those in poor or abusive relationships. It must be grim.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

It would not surprise me as the SNP MPs may well have been told to observe this strictly, whereas the Tories will not have. The SNP got in trouble previously by claiming that all their payrises (they argued against the payrises) would go to charity. No money has ever been recorded going to charity and it is an awkward question that keeps being asked. This time they will have been very much out to avoid a repeat, and unless they need the 10,000, good for them not taking it.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

TGOHF666 said:

Looks like he is a bigger fruitcake than Corbyn
    As posted last night - Jenricks support for Israel and the Guardian snooping on him is no coincidence.

Labour is riddled with a disease from top to bottom.
  • Options
    SockySocky Posts: 404
    edited April 2020

If Starmer tries to bin Momentum & the Dirlewanger Brigade en-mass, he might achieve a walkout. Which would put a massive dent in the Labour Party.

Maybe I am cynical, but my first thought was that this was the lawyer in Keir coming out.

He has to at least make a pretence at unity, so he appoints one of the dumber Corbynites to a role where she has to behave herself. When (inevitably) she says something racist and anti-semitic, he can make great play of sacking her, showing his tough side, and taking down one of the enemy foot soldiers.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    jayfdee said:

Driving faster around my part of the world, particularly delivery drivers, I maybe noticing it more as I am on my bike more. North Lancs, South Cumbria.
    Mixture of outcomes. Some driving faster because there is nothing on the road. Some driving slower because there is nowhere to go and no point in arriving so you may as well enjoy the ride.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

We shall see, be interesting to see if they publish who the grasping greedy barstewards are. Bet the Tories are top of the league.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Toms said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

If Foxy is correct it is mere chance that this is so for his opinion now was decided before he was born by laws of physics outside his or anyone's control. Which is why so many people think that, whatever the science opinion, there is more to be said about free will.

Chaos theory means that the actions complex systems cannot be predicted in detail. Humans are complex systems.

The prediction part is itself... complex... trends and features at some levels can be predicted.

Human beliefs and structured personalities can be seen as an attempt to bring order to the chaos of the universe - a set of rules. But who actually follows their personal rules all the time?

Religious extremism and political totalitarian ideologies are of interest when examined with this is mind.
  • Options

I cycle to my parents back gate and talk to them from 15-20 foot away when I go on my bike ride, so hes not alone
  • Options
    Socky said:

Maybe I am cynical, but my first thought was that this was the lawyer in Keir coming out.

He has to at least make a pretence at unity, so he appoints one of the dumber Corbynites to a role where she has to behave herself. When (inevitably) she says something racist and anti-semitic, he can make great play of sacking her, showing his tough side, and taking down one of the enemy foot soldiers.
    The other point is the job - Community Cohesion. Could it be that her job will largely (start with ) a series of humiliating apologies to sections of the community, to restore good will?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Chris said:

fox327 said:

IanB2 said:

Ratters said:

There seems to be a school of thought that as soon as the daily death toll passes its peak we can start to loosen restrictions. That just reflects complete scientific illiteracy.
    The doctors are in charge now. If the advice is ongoing lockdown then this will not sustain indefinitely. The trade off is the longer term are too large. Even in health terms there will come a time when the lockdown is killing more people than it’s saving (in fact that may already be the case over the medium to longer term).
  • Options
    The effects on me have been a bit mixed. I have enjoyed the quiet roads on the way to work, and agree that people are driving sensibly.

Financially, I am down on income as the private hospital has been requisitioned by the NHS, and Fox Jr has no income and is not eligible for government schemes, so back on the household payroll. Spending is down as not much to spend on other than groceries. Investments doing well as I went to 90% cash in early Feb, and now about 40% cash, having bought the dip. Mostly cash rich companies that are resilient to recession.

More time on my hands when not at work, eating well, reading and gardening in the sun. Spending several days a week at the hospital is good for morale as great atmosphere of purpose in the main. Some grim news and sights there, and of course there is the occupational microbial risk, but that just makes me enjoy the small pleasures of life all the more.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Good Friday greetings to all.

• Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    fox327 said:

Exactly.

If we rule out herd immunity as a strategy, which we seem to have, then the only logical alternative is lockdown in perpetuity (with slight relaxing and tightening over time) until a vaccine can be found and manufactured in scale on a global basis.

I think a lot of people are seeing Italy/Spain reach the peak and drawing the conclusion that it's nearly over for them, and we're only 2 weeks behind, so it will be back to normal in a month or so. Whereas I don't see a feasible route for us going back to a normal society for at least a year.

Maybe steps like mass antibody testing and compulsory mask wearing (once enough are available) can bring us closer to something that resembles normality, but I've become quite pessimistic of late.
  • Options
    King Cole, that sounds sensible, particularly for those considered at risk.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

It would not surprise me as the SNP MPs may well have been told to observe this strictly, whereas the Tories will not have. The SNP got in trouble previously by claiming that all their payrises (they argued against the payrises) would go to charity. No money has ever been recorded going to charity and it is an awkward question that keeps being asked. This time they will have been very much out to avoid a repeat, and unless they need the 10,000, good for them not taking it.
    It's entirely possible that the SNP have collectively decided that they won't claim these funds.

The idea that all Tories except JRM have taken it though - and that the only person who knows this before expense claims are put in or published is Black Saltire's anonymous source?

Bovine manure.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

It's entirely possible that the SNP have collectively decided that they won't claim these funds.
    Serious question. Are most SNP MPs’ staff in Scotland rather than London anyway?

If so they will already have been remote working and here will have been less need to adapt their processes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

We shall see, be interesting to see if they publish who the grasping greedy barstewards are. Bet the Tories are top of the league.
    Given the Tories are top of the league as far as number of MPs by a long long shot I expect they will be true. Even if proportionately they claim the same overall they'll be on top by a mile.

But why share anonymous garbage like every single one bar JRM have claimed the full £10k? It's nonsense and you know it.
  • Options
    With great thanks to Germany
    UK Government has put out a plea for help through NATO and Germany is sending 60 mobile ventilators immediately. #COVID19
    The Dyson Ventilators are still some way off apparently
  • Options

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

The idea that all Tories except JRM have taken it though - and that the only person who knows this before expense claims are put in or published is Black Saltire's anonymous source?

Bovine manure.
    Wonder why he's called his Twitter black saltire. I think a black saltire is a Cornish flag isn't it?
  • Options

It is a silly non story and actually is stupid when it is ok to take medication and food to your self isolating parents

I
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

The £10,000 is for the MPs office activities - ie staff costs. It will be needed so that case-workers in MPs office are able to set up to work from home and deal with constituency complaints / issues.

If SNP MPs aren't planning on using the money then I guess they aren't planning on doing any work for their constituents during this period. Probably makes sense as most day to day matters are devolved to the Scottish parliament, so individuals in a Scottish constituency will be contacting their MSP first rather than MP.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Hard to think why...

I entered into mitigation the fact that it had not caught fire. The high pressure oil line came off the turbo when the hot side let go so it could have easily gone up in mushroom cloud. The Bloody Assizes were not inclined to clemency however.
    But did you come close to winning the competition?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

In the US, a couple of madmen have just set the Cannonball Run record, driving from New York to LA in 26 hours and 35 minutes. It's 2,800 miles.

In contrast, where I am in Dubai, we have a full curfew in place, permission needed to go grocery shopping and every speed camera is set low to record number plates. No speeding here.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    isam said:

(a) exercise more
    (b) spend less
    (c) drink less
    (d) eat better

A likely long term consequence of this epidemic, in my opinion, is a greater globalisation of services. As people get used to technology to deliver services and work together there is less requirement for teams to be based in one place or near customers.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

Given the Tories are top of the league as far as number of MPs by a long long shot I expect they will be true. Even if proportionately they claim the same overall they'll be on top by a mile.

But why share anonymous garbage like every single one bar JRM have claimed the full £10k? It's nonsense and you know it.
    Agree, wonderful of Germany to do this.

Doesn't really surprise me about the Dyson ventilators, the Gov't should kiss G-tech's arse and buy theirs as a stop gap.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, that reminds me. For those who haven't seen it, here's a little Easter story I wrote some years ago:

Sir Edric and the Vampire Lord

“So, let me get this right,” Sir Edric said to the visiting priest. “You’re being terrorised by a giant albino lagomorph that appears at the same time every year? And you want me to kill the aforementioned magical vermin?”

Dog coughed. “Actually, sir, it sounds like the Easter Bunny is more of a benevolent spirit.”

“Indeed,” Father Michael agreed. “He’s more of a fun character for children. The real message of Easter is about Jesus-”

“He’s the vampire, yes?”

Father Michael sighed. “No, Sir Edric. He is the Son of God-”

“I thought you said he was a carpenter?”

The priest cast his eyes to the heavens and mouthed a silent prayer. “Jesus was the Son of God. He was killed and lay for three days before rising from the dead, when he spoke again to his followers and then passed from our sight.”

Sir Edric nodded knowingly. “Definitely a vampire. So, you want me to kill Jesus?”

Father Michael was silent for a moment, clenching his jaw so hard his muscles bulged. “No, Sir Edric. I do not want you to kill Jesus. Or the Easter Bunny. I’m simply here to spread the message of Our Lord, to speak of his rising from the dead and the triumph of hope over despair, of life everlasting and-”

Sir Edric raised a hand to cut off the priest’s prattling. “That’s riveting. So, beyond preaching, is there any reason you’re here?”

The priest sighed again, and raised a large basket he was carrying. “I’ve also brought a large number of Easter eggs for the children of Awyndel.”

The knight frowned. “What do eggs have to do with vampires?”

Father Michael took a moment to answer. “It’s just a fun tradition to give one another, especially children, chocolate eggs to eat at this time of year.”

“What a splendid notion,” Sir Edric agreed. “Dog and I were just on our way to the orphanage. Why don’t we take your eggs with us?”

“I wouldn’t want to trouble you-”

Sir Edric beamed a smile. “No trouble at all, Father Michael. I shall be sure to help spread the word of the vampire lord Jesus and his infernal albino rabbit beast. Dog shall see you out.”

Once his manservant had escorted the cleric from his home, Sir Edric began to tuck into the huge quantity of Easter eggs. In the spirit of the occasion he selected one of the smaller ones for Dog and raised a glass of wine in a toast.

“Huzzah for Jesus, the undead master of the dread rabbit!”
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    JonathanD said:

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

The £10,000 is for the MPs office activities - ie staff costs. It will be needed so that case-workers in MPs office are able to set up to work from home and deal with constituency complaints / issues.

If SNP MPs aren't planning on using the money then I guess they aren't planning on doing any work for their constituents during this period. Probably makes sense as most day to day matters are devolved to the Scottish parliament, so individuals in a Scottish constituency will be contacting their MSP first rather than MP.
    Seems a nice jolly to be a welsh, or particularly Scottish MP then.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Making hot cross buns. The ultimate lockdown Good Friday.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    The Hill:

"In most states across the country, data show that most of those who have tested positive for the virus are women. From the Deep South to New England states and the Midwest, most states have confirmed hundreds if not thousands more cases in women than in men, with a few notable exceptions.

But in states that report the genders of those who have died from the COVID-19 disease, every one has reported more deaths among men than among women, usually by a substantial margin — and scientists don't know why."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

THE BLACK SALTIRE#FBSI

·
    11m

Serious question. Are most SNP MPs’ staff in Scotland rather than London anyway?

If so they will already have been remote working and here will have been less need to adapt their processes.
    Morning Ydoethur, have you been on the sherry. Why would Scottish staff working in MP's offices be any different from those elsewhere in the country. They have offices in their constituencies like everyone else, barking.
This discussion has been closed.