Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris goes into intensive care

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2020
    Special relationship...Trump told US research companies to help save Boris.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Trump is going to cure Boris, by the sounds of it.

Hopefully it isn't that Floridian pastor that says you will be cured if you just place hands on him.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Suspect those London parks will be very empty tomorrow.

Raab was certainly suggesting the current restrictions are going to stay in place after the original April 15th deadline but gave little clue as to when and how they might be eased.

Is the Austrian "route map to normality" the way for the UK? I find it hard to see social distancing surviving when more shops are open and it's interesting to see barbershops mentioned specifically for re-opening on May 1st.

This is perhaps the most difficult public policy decision the Government will have to face - the line between the economic imperative of trying to get things moving again has to be set against the public health imperative of risking a new wave of cases triggering a renewed lock down which could prolong and exacerbate the economic damage.
    Actually barber shops sound logical to me

Timed slots - maybe 2 barbers and 2 customers at once, socially distanced. Barbers in masks (and possibly customers as well).

Haircuts providing illusion of normality vs hair growing long and unkempt
    Depends if they can be run economically like that otherwise they won’t open at all
    Skinheads/Suedeheads, that don’t require a trip to the barbers, will be the look in my opinion
    Not happening, at least in my case, unless I get very desperate.

If my hair ends up too short then all the lumps and bumps on my scalp that it hides might be made visible. I'd end up looking like Shrek.

Only not green.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

In an utterly bombastic, patronising, simplistic, crude, borderline xenophobic way, I almost find that rather touching.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Raab was certainly suggesting the current restrictions are going to stay in place after the original April 15th deadline but gave little clue as to when and how they might be eased.

Is the Austrian "route map to normality" the way for the UK? I find it hard to see social distancing surviving when more shops are open and it's interesting to see barbershops mentioned specifically for re-opening on May 1st.

This is perhaps the most difficult public policy decision the Government will have to face - the line between the economic imperative of trying to get things moving again has to be set against the public health imperative of risking a new wave of cases triggering a renewed lock down which could prolong and exacerbate the economic damage.

Timed slots - maybe 2 barbers and 2 customers at once, socially distanced. Barbers in masks (and possibly customers as well).

Depends if they can be run economically like that otherwise they won’t open at all
    Skinheads/Suedeheads, that don’t require a trip to the barbers, will be the look in my opinion

If my hair ends up too short then all the lumps and bumps on my scalp that it hides might be made visible. I'd end up looking like Shrek.

Only not green.
    I got all my hair cut off a few days before the barbers closed. I'm good for several months now. :p
  • Options
    Media outrage....they lied to us about how serious it was....its not about you, you absolute tools.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/06/the-strange-lead-up-to-boris-johnsons-admission-to-hospital
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

Nothing they do can one.
  • Options

Media outrage....they lied to us about how serious it was....its not about you, you absolute tools.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/06/the-strange-lead-up-to-boris-johnsons-admission-to-hospital

I mean isn't it possible that No 10's account is true?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Cookie said:

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/MarkTamiMP/status/1247262355093889024

A reminder that Boris Johnson isn't the only MP in an ICU tonight, though Mark Tami MP had sent his best wishes to the PM earlier.

Tony Lloyd too? That one passed me by. Bloody hell.
    Always comes across as a very nice guy. Good luck.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

alex_ said:

A question - is being put on a ventilator always a last resort, or is it something that can potentially help somebody who doesn't technically require one?

CPAP machine is the step between oxygen mask and ventilator, that seems to be what they use before going the full hog...as putting somebody on a ventilator is a big step, very traumatic for the body.
    Indeed. I seem to recall data being released from Italy to the effect that use of CPAP machines reduced demand for ventilation by half. They are much simpler and faster to manufacture, non-invasive, and (unless PBers of a medical bent would wish to contradict) presumably much easier for very hard pressed hospital staff to set up.
    Yes, CPAP does have its advocates. It does aerosolize the secretions, which is rather a cross infection risk and can rather overload the hospital oxygen capacity.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited April 2020
    Trump doing tractor production and wheat harvest figures again
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It comes to something when Richard Burgon is more tasteful than some of the media this evening
    Let's do a thought experiment. Let's imagine it wasn't the lovable buffoon from HIGNFY who is in peril, but instead, let's say, one Jeremy Corbin.

How tasteful would the comments on Pb.com, other social media or the established media be?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It comes to something when Richard Burgon is more tasteful than some of the media this evening
    Let's do a thought experiment. Let's imagine it wasn't the lovable buffoon from HIGNFY who is in peril, but instead, let's say, one Jeremy Corbin.

How tasteful would the comments on Pb.com, other social media or the established media be?
    On PB? Probably the same.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited April 2020

isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Only not green.
    I don’t really fancy that look either. It looks like I’m going to grow it long like a mid life crisis man, or let my girlfriend do it...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Cookie said:

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/MarkTamiMP/status/1247262355093889024

A reminder that Boris Johnson isn't the only MP in an ICU tonight, though Mark Tami MP had sent his best wishes to the PM earlier.

Tony Lloyd too? That one passed me by. Bloody hell.
    Always comes across as a very nice guy. Good luck.
    He’s my mum’s MP, she isn’t a Labour voter, but has very high regard for him. He’s not a young man, so everything crossed for him and his family.

I’ve had to upgrade from wine to something stronger, and it’s only Monday.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Johnson moved on from "lovable buffon from HIGNFY" a long time ago anyway.
  • Options
    3M must be raking it in. Contract with US government, 55 million face masks a month.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I would hope the same. All life is precious
  • Options
    It wasn't so long ago we were looking on with (in)credulity as it spread through the Iranian political elite.
  • Options
    The only person I have seen wish death and disease on leading political figures on here is Justin.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Only not green.
    I got all my hair cut off a few days before the barbers closed. I'm good for several months now. :p
    Slightly untidy but still some distance from the bouffant stage here. Recently took delivery of some pretty severe looking hair clippers with which to attack myself if shearing should become necessary. Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't come to this...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

A question - is being put on a ventilator always a last resort, or is it something that can potentially help somebody who doesn't technically require one?

CPAP machine is the step between oxygen mask and ventilator, that seems to be what they use before going the full hog...as putting somebody on a ventilator is a big step, very traumatic for the body.
    Indeed. I seem to recall data being released from Italy to the effect that use of CPAP machines reduced demand for ventilation by half. They are much simpler and faster to manufacture, non-invasive, and (unless PBers of a medical bent would wish to contradict) presumably much easier for very hard pressed hospital staff to set up.
    Yes, CPAP does have its advocates. It does aerosolize the secretions, which is rather a cross infection risk and can rather overload the hospital oxygen capacity.
    Is this the same CPAP machine you get for sleep apnea?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015
    RobD said:

Indeed, and how can someone who writes for a living not know that a symptom can be both "persistent" and "mild".
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488

HYUFD said:

I would very much hope they would be the same.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Trump is going to cure Boris, by the sounds of it.

Laying on of hands perhaps. Or just commission this guy:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1244736949728002048?s=19
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited April 2020

HYUFD said:

As the setter of the thought experiment perhaps you'd indicate how tasteful you'd believe them to be?

Some hate Boris, some hate Corbyn, but it's hard to predict how many online would be hateful arseholes in a situation regarding either man's health.

But without drifting into too much sanctimony, I don't think the number would be all that high regardless. Politics is politics. It can and should be extremely important at times, and that will engender the kinds of fervour that will for some bleed over into extreme reactions including of the most distasteful kind. But most people have no problem putting down the politics in such moments.

In this at least, the majority of our MPs do indeed show the way as leaders better even than their supporters, because they nearly all know when to dial it back. They don't think they will weaken their future opposition to whichever side they oppose by showing humanity to them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

When Boris has recovered, and when the country has got through Corona, not the neatest and highest survival rate, but ok, relatively sensibly, far from the worst, it is going to be Boris on the balcony at Buck House times. The man is going to be a legend, love him or loathe him.

And if, God forbid, he doesn't recover, our last memories of Boris will be of him getting off his sick bed to clap for the NHS in Downing Street.

Legend.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Only not green.
    I don’t really fancy that look either. It looks like I’m going to grow it long like a mid life crisis man, or let my girlfriend do it...
    If you can tolerate letting it go then so be it. I can't, at least not past a certain stage. I find overgrown hair immensely irritating, notably the fact that it takes forever to dry and I don't have the time to muck about with that in the mornings.

I would get my husband to try to cut it for me but, alas, tidiness is not his strong suit.

It would be less risky to entrust my barnet to the tender mercies of an arthritic octogenarian with advanced cataracts. But they're all self-isolating, of course.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Pretty much. The OSA ones are for home usage. OSA is a bad risk factor for COVID19 though.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    alex_ said:

It wasn't so long ago we were looking on with (in)credulity as it spread through the Iranian political elite.

It's almost like shoving all out politicians together in a enclosed poorly ventilated building was a bad idea.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Can't think of many governments which have been entirely truthful about the health of PMs or Presidents. Transparency isn't always workable, or desirable.

In Sickness and In Power - David Owen, and When Illness Strikes the Leader - Jerrold M. Post, Robert S. Robins, cover the politics of indisposed leaders.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

They have very good bags of liquid vitamins and minerals in ICU. Hopefully they hook him up to buckets of zinc, vit C and mixed vitamins. Can't hurt.

And a hot broth drip.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Only not green.
    If you can tolerate letting it go then so be it. I can't, at least not past a certain stage. I find overgrown hair immensely irritating, notably the fact that it takes forever to dry and I don't have the time to muck about with that in the mornings.

I would get my husband to try to cut it for me but, alas, tidiness is not his strong suit.

It would be less risky to entrust my barnet to the tender mercies of an arthritic octogenarian with advanced cataracts. But they're all self-isolating, of course.
    Www.skullshaver.eu is the place to go. 90 seconds, job done...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

alex_ said:

It's almost like shoving all out politicians together in a enclosed poorly ventilated building was a bad idea.
    Apparently rumour is getting the building fixed up is possibly to be ditched to boot

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/bdps-4bn-parliament-refurb-could-be-ditched-for-quick-fix/10046571.article
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Can't think of many governments which have been entirely truthful about the health of PMs or Presidents. Transparency isn't always workable, or desirable.

In Sickness and In Power - David Owen, and When Illness Strikes the Leader - Jerrold M. Post, Robert S. Robins, cover the politics of indisposed leaders.
    We all know these things are "managed" if possible e.g. we know when Liz dies, there are a set protocols and it isn't exactly 100% honest.

Its not like the government have hidden he has CV and tried to claim for the past 10 days he is just a bit busy to do the press conferences.
  • Options

They have very good bags of liquid vitamins and minerals in ICU. Hopefully they hook him up to buckets of zinc, vit C and mixed vitamins. Can't hurt.

And a hot broth drip.
    I'm sorry. I had to smile.
  • Options
    Evergreen tweet for the Trump press conference

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1247281595381436416?s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Only not green.

Www.skullshaver.eu is the place to go. 90 seconds, job done...
    Oh good God no - see my earlier remarks re: Shrek...
  • Options

RobD said:

Indeed, and how can someone who writes for a living not know that a symptom can be both "persistent" and "mild".
    One of the authors of the early papers on Covid apparently regrets ever using the term ‘mild’.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

When Boris has recovered, and when the country has got through Corona, not the neatest and highest survival rate, but ok, relatively sensibly, far from the worst, it is going to be Boris on the balcony at Buck House times. The man is going to be a legend, love him or loathe him.

And if, God forbid, he doesn't recover, our last memories of Boris will be of him getting off his sick bed to clap for the NHS in Downing Street.

Legend.
    That made me smile briefly.
  • Options
    Pretty sensible reporting and discussion on Newsnight.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Pretty much. The OSA ones are for home usage. OSA is a bad risk factor for COVID19 though.
    I am continually surprised how many people I know who have sleep apnea. The two topics of conversation appear to be how to keep the kit clean, and who has the best cpap machine and face kit. Apparently daily cleaning is essential and a royal pain.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

We all know these things are "managed" if possible e.g. we know when Liz dies, there are a set protocols and it isn't exactly 100% honest.

Its not like the government have hidden he has CV and tried to claim for the past 10 days he is just a bit busy to do the press conferences.
    A lot of this “why weren’t we told sooner?” is the press echo chamber desperately wanting an update more than anything else.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Alistair said:

Evergreen tweet for the Trump press conference

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1247281595381436416?s=19

Never try and understand what Trump is saying. That is the first step to turning into a stupid, racist Jaffa orange. 999/1000 much prefer turning into a centipede, studies show.
  • Options
    I have to say I've been off work since Thursday and working from home. I had a bit of a temperature on Wednesday so it was a precaution. I do feel like I have a bit of a wheezy chest - nothing much - just this sense of something that won't quite go away. Have I got coronavirus? No idea. My only thought is whether it might get any worse.

There's something unnerving about a bug that won't go away.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Of course they would. I detest Corbyn’s politics and find him a querulous old narcissist as a person. And a fool.

But if he got this? He’s a father and a husband. He’s not evil, just silly.

I would wish him well, fervently, especially if he was the prime minster and the nation needed stability in a time of crisis.
    Indeed and looking back at the tragic passing of John Smith I do believe people were respectful regardless of partisan politics. Hopefully he can recover but party politics doesn't matter right now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

alex_ said:

Apparently rumour is getting the building fixed up is possibly to be ditched to boot

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/bdps-4bn-parliament-refurb-could-be-ditched-for-quick-fix/10046571.article
    They'll have to fix it up or it'll eventually burn down. Or fall into the Thames.

The costs of said project could be reduced considerably by a full decant *AND* remote working. One of the major consequences of Covid is likely to be that an awful lot of people who previously commuted into London will find themselves working all or most of the time from home offices. I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man for Parliamentarians to do likewise whilst the Palace of Westminster is given the necessary overhaul.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Trump offering treatment to Johnson.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Does anyone know what Adam Boulton is on about with this tweet?

https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/1247100110393282560
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Absolute dickhead. Boris Derangement Syndrome has infected some so badly they only see the world through this prism.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

dr_spyn said:

But have they hidden something else, an underlying condition? There was that two week period where his opponent’s jibbed about him gone missing.

Blairs team weren’t forth coming about his problems till Liz slipped it out (how was that covered in memoirs, did they think she did it by accident or design) I don’t think it is possible to hide much these days, certainly not in U.K.

The most famous one probably the Irish Premier standing on runway wondering why Yeltsin not getting off the plane.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Working whilst sick. Failing to take time off.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Without knowing how hard he was working andhow I'm not sure what conclusions could be drawn from it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

And not seeking medical help as his symptoms started to worsen, as per Daily Mail
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Without knowing how hard he was working andhow I'm not sure what conclusions could be drawn from it.
    Two weeks ago the press were working themselves into an outrage that he was even allowed to take a test.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I would hope so, too. And I strongly agree that life is the most precious thing humankind has.

But I vividly remember when a fortnight ago news broke that our head honcho had to retreat into quarantine because she had been treated by a doctor who was later tested positive.
    Less perilous by at least an order of magnitude, compared to the PM's situation for sure, but still, I noticed about a dozen responses on here to that news report, every single one of them more or less full of vitriol, not a single conciliatory one.

I remember asking myself at that time, 'what if it had been Jeremy Corbyn' and whether the reactions would have been more of the desirable kind. And I remember myself being unsure of the answer to that question.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

I am continually surprised how many people I know who have sleep apnea. The two topics of conversation appear to be how to keep the kit clean, and who has the best cpap machine and face kit. Apparently daily cleaning is essential and a royal pain.
    Yes, we have 10 000 diagnosed in Leicestershire out of a million population, and there are loads out there undiagnosed.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Two weeks ago the press were working themselves into an outrage that he was even allowed to take a test.
    And before that, they worked themselves into a frenzy over if he actually worked hard enough and why wasn't he at every COBR meeting since January....now he worked too hard and its his fault he is in ICU.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    There's still a staggering amount of US domestic air traffic at the moment compared with the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

It is ironic that if that is the case then people like me will have to eat our words about him being fundamentally lazy. I do feel I have misjudged his character somewhat if the evidence of the past month or more is anything to go by.
  • Options
    How inconvenient that the PM is at death's door. If he is going to die, could he please ensure to do so before 8pm....
  • Options
    And there in a tweet lies the whole problem with the media at the moment. Utterly self absorbed.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex_ said:

It’s very hard on the body so they don’t like doing it
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Yes, we have 10 000 diagnosed in Leicestershire out of a million population, and there are loads out there undiagnosed.
    Even amazon sells the machines and supplies and they still have delivery within a week.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I would hope so, too. And I strongly agree that life is the most precious thing humankind has.

But I vividly remember when a fortnight ago news broke that our head honcho had to retreat into quarantine because she had been treated by a doctor who was later tested positive.
    Less perilous by at least an order of magnitude, compared to the PM's situation for sure, but still, I noticed about a dozen responses on here to that news report, every single one of them more or less full of vitriol, not a single conciliatory one.

I remember asking myself at that time, 'what if it had been Jeremy Corbyn' and whether the reactions would have been more of the desirable kind. And I remember myself being unsure of the answer to that question.
    I'm sorry to hear that - I must have missed that thread. You're extremely welcome here, and most of us would sympathise with Mrs Markel or anyone under threat.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Of course they would. I detest Corbyn’s politics and find him a querulous old narcissist as a person. And a fool.

I would wish him well, fervently, especially if he was the prime minster and the nation needed stability in a time of crisis.
    Indeed and looking back at the tragic passing of John Smith I do believe people were respectful regardless of partisan politics. Hopefully he can recover but party politics doesn't matter right now.
    I have never understood the belief that John Smith wouldn't have won the election - maybe not Tony Blairs massive landslide, but he would have got a solid majority for sure.

A very interesting what-if that way.....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Bravado.

There was some wasn’t there? In the bigger picture you don’t want General Melchett in the trenches or going over the top. The equivalents in this war are handshakes, testing, quarantine, leaders all over the planet just been getting on with it eschewing those things.

Personally I think this whole thing has just come in on the blind side. It’s only this week the penny has dropped those on the ventilators are in their 50s and less. It’s still not properly sunk in this lockdown is just flattening the sombrero not going to kill it, no switch on for economy in June or July. The only way to actually kill it is going to be Hunt it more than we are doing.

And it’s important for that penny to drop, because the economy can’t be kept in coma much after June or bits of it will start permanently dying, so we we need to start hunting lot more than we doing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

And not seeking medical help as his symptoms started to worsen, as per Daily Mail
    That Daily Mail article did rather ring true.
  • Options

And there in a tweet lies the whole problem with the media at the moment. Utterly self absorbed.
    To be fair, I think Rentoul is having a joke at their expense. It feels as if there's a "poor dears" hiding behind it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    egg said:

Andy_JS said:

Bravado.

There was some wasn’t there? In the bigger picture you don’t want General Melchett in the trenches or going over the top. The equivalents in this war are handshakes, testing, quarantine, leaders all over the planet just been getting on with it eschewing those things.

Personally I think this whole thing has just come in on the blind side. It’s only this week the penny has dropped those on the ventilators are in their 50s and less. It’s still not properly sunk in this lockdown is just flattening the sombrero not going to kill it, no switch on for economy in June or July. The only way to actually kill it is going to be Hunt it more than we are doing.

And it’s important for that penny to drop, because the economy can’t be kept in coma much after June or bits of it will start permanently dying, so we we need to start hunting lot more than we doing.
    We are not going to kill it until a vaccine emerges, which could be years away, so in the meantime we will just have to lockdown as we near the peak, then ease off again for all but the most vulnerable and mass test, then lockdown again before the next peak
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Question for @Foxy: Do you get much of a sense of which patients are likely to pull through if they need to go on a ventilator, or does recovery seem to arrive like a miracle?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    edited April 2020
    Like everyone else, wishing Boris all the best. I think he may well be quite a lot fitter than a lot are saying, what with the cycling, the running and the tennis.

There may be a lot of people traumatised for months after this who have been in ITU. Lots of tolerant and silent listening may be required. The same may apply to staff, in particular helping them feel very normal again outside the work bubble imo with simple things.

I was in ITU for more than a week 2 years ago with DKA after a persistent chest infection failed to go away, and they kept me sedated for a whole week. I was apparently growing some quite exotic bugs.

I came out with the weirdest set of false memories, and they offered a post-counselling meeting a month later with a senior ITU nurse and an ologist.

One involved being treated in an environment that was internally international orange, and a sort of cross between the control room in the Prisoner series, and the rotating drum section in the spaceship in Space Odyssey 2001. Another involved bureaucratic battles and schemes to prevent family visits, again in a bizarre padded office environment. Another was that the parent who lived with me had been taken away to other family, and would not be coming back. I also made several delusional 'I'm being held in here and I need to escape' phone calls.

It's strange what a free running brain can do.

After being brought round I was quizzing the nurses about whether some of these memories were true, and for quite a few weeks I was getting my dreams about family relationships and conversations muddled between the false memories and the reality. It would have been easy to hurt people without knowing.

One appreciates the need for the medical sense of humour.
  • Options

Or, it is a comment on how fast events are moving.

• Options

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

It is ironic that if that is the case then people like me will have to eat our words about him being fundamentally lazy. I do feel I have misjudged his character somewhat if the evidence of the past month or more is anything to go by.
    Well it's quite possible previous assessments were correct but that he operates very differently in a crisis, but it would seem somewhat invidious for him to be criticised for not enough and too much work.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Even amazon sells the machines and supplies and they still have delivery within a week.
    I wouldn't recommend home treatment unsupervised, and thee oxygen concentration would be too low domestically, I think.

Though the guy running ICU in the Welsh Valleys seems to think CPAP a good option.

https://twitter.com/WelshGasDoc/status/1245842327979134984?s=19
  • Options

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

I have never understood the belief that John Smith wouldn't have won the election - maybe not Tony Blairs massive landslide, but he would have got a solid majority for sure.

Not easy to say. The Conservatives lost all unity because they simply did not know how to respond to Blair, and ended up resorting to an "every man (and Teresa Gorman)" to themselves. They knew they were going to lose big, and even the safest seats were at risk.

Think it might have been very different with Smith still there.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Well it's quite possible previous assessments were correct but that he operates very differently in a crisis, but it would seem somewhat invidious for him to be criticised for not enough and too much work.
    Our system is so centralised that it isn’t possible to be lazy as PM. The question with Boris was always whether he could adjust to the change in pace/volume.
  • Options

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

And before that, they worked themselves into a frenzy over if he actually worked hard enough and why wasn't he at every COBR meeting since January....now he worked too hard and its his fault he is in ICU.
    Agreed.
    There is a serious point, though, that medics strongly advise that you do not try to work through a persistent fever. (Irrespective of what Boris might or might not have done, which none of us really know anyway.)
  • Options

Question for @Foxy: Do you get much of a sense of which patients are likely to pull through if they need to go on a ventilator, or does recovery seem to arrive like a miracle?

There was a nurse - American I think - interviewed somewhere on CNN who claimed staff get a feel for the outcome early on in many cases.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

The Daily Mail account says he has refused to take a break
  • Options

The ICU outreach team make those decisions. They only take the ones that they think can benefit. That can seem like quite hard rationing decisions, but it really is about clinical response.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Typical weasel words from Boris’ critics. Trying to find that way of looking dignified without having to, heaven forbid, wish him well as he struggles to stay alive.

What makes them think they’re so important that they have to say anything at all?
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

The Daily Mail account says he has refused to take a break
    Was the advice to do so coming from colleagues or medical experts?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

I wouldn't recommend home treatment unsupervised, and thee oxygen concentration would be too low domestically, I think.

Though the guy running ICU in the Welsh Valleys seems to think CPAP a good option.

https://twitter.com/WelshGasDoc/status/1245842327979134984?s=19
    I don't pretend to have any first hand knowledge of all this, but the folks sleep with the masks and equipment every night at home.
  • Options
    For most people who get it they will not be hospitalised and hot broth is what they will most need, indeed arguably if the PM had spent more time drinking hot broth and sleeping over the last few days and less time working he might not have needed ICU admittance tonight
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

Andy_JS said:

Bravado.

We are not going to kill it until a vaccine emerges, which could be years away, so in the meantime we will just have to lockdown as we near the peak, then ease off again for all but the most vulnerable and mass test, then lockdown again before the next peak
    No. That is wrong. You see I am right, the penny hasn’t dropped.
    What happens to the Big G of this world in the herd immunity you just described. What happens to so much of the economy if state of play doesn’t allow the easing you are anticipating? We need to hunt it, track it down and isolate it. Lock down is defence, we need to go on the offence.
  • Options
    I know that a point like this comes up every time we have a Prime Ministerial handover between elections, but this really seems like an odd moment to bring it up.

As the UK is a parliamentary democracy, there is no need, under the UK’s unwritten constitution, for an election in order for Raab to assume prime ministerial powers. However, political pressure could eventually lead to one

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/06/dominic-raab-set-to-lead-uk-through-covid-19-hurdles

I struggle to envisage a situation where there would be sufficient political pressure to have an election to endorse Raab as PM, even in a worst case scenario. It's not as though political pressure, from opponents, is enough to get one when there aren't emergency reasons why someone may have taken over.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

How inconvenient that the PM is at death's door. If he is going to die, could he please ensure to do so before 8pm....
    Remember George VI...
  • Options
    isam said:

Typical weasel words from Boris’ critics. Trying to find that way of looking dignified without having to, heaven forbid, wish him well as he struggles to stay alive.

What makes them think they’re so important that they have to say anything at all?
    Worse than that - could have at least mentioned his fiancé, who's in isolation herself. But no, the kids (all 5-6+ of them of course...)
  • Options
    alex_ said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Not easy to say. The Conservatives lost all unity because they simply did not know how to respond to Blair, and ended up resorting to an "every man (and Teresa Gorman)" to themselves. They knew they were going to lose big, and even the safest seats were at risk.

Think it might have been very different with Smith still there.
    Smith would have got a majority of 50 to 100 in 1997 but only Blair could have got a majority of near 200 and won seats like Braintree, Shrewsbury and Atcham and Wimbledon
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I know that a point like this comes up every time we have a Prime Ministerial handover between elections, but this really seems like an odd moment to bring it up.

As the UK is a parliamentary democracy, there is no need, under the UK’s unwritten constitution, for an election in order for Raab to assume prime ministerial powers. However, political pressure could eventually lead to one

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/06/dominic-raab-set-to-lead-uk-through-covid-19-hurdles

I struggle to envisage a situation where there would be sufficient political pressure to have an election to endorse Raab as PM, even in a worst case scenario. It's not as though political pressure, from opponents, is enough to get one when there aren't emergency reasons why someone may have taken over.

Over enthusiastic journalist at the Guardian I think.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    edited April 2020
    It feels like current affairs have been slightly out of control for about 5 or 6 years now, ever since Cameron gave the green light to the Scottish referendum.
  • Options
    Being ill is not about machismo. Indeed that male idea of seeking medical advice as a weakness is a large part of why males die younger.
This discussion has been closed.